PDA

View Full Version : Help! Our OL sucks!

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I've posted in several threads about how bad the Colts OL is this year. I think it will become painfully clear against the Giants this Sunday. But people argue the Raiders, or Chiefs, or some other OL is worse. I find this hard to believe, but it is hard to really get to know other teams' OL. So tell me why your OL sucks.

For the Colts:

LT - Charlie Johnson was a career backup but 1st rounder Tony Ugoh was so horrible he had to step in to start. He is maybe 60-70% healthy and had to limp slowly off the field after the game.
LG - Jamey Richard was like a 6th round pick or something ridiculous. One of three centers taken in 08. In 08 he subbed for Jeff Saturday and looked ok but at guard he is beyond horrible. Too small, too weak, too tentative.
C - Jeff Saturday is 90 years old and has had multiple knee surgeries since 08.
RG - Mike Pollak is a 2nd rounder but might as well be Jamey Richard. A center taken in the 08 draft, he's again too small, weak, and tentative to play OL in the NFL. Strangely he has looked ok at center but Saturday isn't going to be replaced until he retires.
RT - Ryan Diem is soooooo slow. He can't keep up with future HOFers like Derrick Burgess, Leonard Little, or Antonio Smith. As big as he is he can't run block either. He gets abused regularly. He is also overpaid.

zachsaints52
09-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Saints OL.... Bushrod gets dominated by Ware? Pretty much it.

Splat
09-17-2010, 12:38 PM
The Colts have won 12 games a year for like the last 20 years I don't feel sorry for them one bit to be honest.

As for the Chiefs their OL doesn't suck their QB does.

LizardState
09-17-2010, 12:40 PM
20% (1/5th) of the Cowboys front 5 OL sucks, & his name is Barron. He's the one who clotheslines passrushers & costs his teams Ws.

AntoinCD
09-17-2010, 12:43 PM
I'll have a word with Belichick and we''ll trade you Logan Mankins for Dwight Freeney.

Patriots:

Matt Light, LT-Still more than serviceable at LT however he never was as good as the press clippings from 2007 led you to believe. Maybe has one more year as a starter before Vollmer takes over.

Dan Connolly, LG-Down to the 3rd string guard, I'm actually not too worried about him. The issue comes with depth at the position. Actually one of the better pulling guards around he does struggle when having to play in a phonebooth.

Dan Koppen, OC-The best way to describe Koppen is mediocre. He does well with the line calls etc however he really struggles against big NTs. Could definitely be upgraded.

Stephen Neal, RG-A big, mean, nasty son-of-a-***** Neal's problem is he can't give you a full season. A great mauler in the run game but he can be exposed one on one.

Sebastian Vollmer, RT-One of my favourite draft picks in recent years(not at the time) Vollmer is an animal. He has very good feet and is good in pass protection. However he really shines in run blocking and is a real road grader.

T-RICH49
The Colts have won 12 games a year for like the last 20 years I don't feel sorry for them one bit to be honest.

our OL sucked the first possesion of the game

TACKLE
I've posted in several threads about how bad the Colts OL is this year. I think it will become painfully clear against the Giants this Sunday. But people argue the Raiders, or Chiefs, or some other OL is worse. I find this hard to believe, but it is hard to really get to know other teams' OL. So tell me why your OL sucks.

For the Colts:

LT - Charlie Johnson was a career backup but 1st rounder Tony Ugoh was so horrible he had to step in to start. He is maybe 60-70% healthy and had to limp slowly off the field after the game.
LG - Jamey Richard was like a 6th round pick or something ridiculous. One of three centers taken in 08. In 08 he subbed for Jeff Saturday and looked ok but at guard he is beyond horrible. Too small, too weak, too tentative.
C - Jeff Saturday is 90 years old and has had multiple knee surgeries since 08.
RG - Mike Pollak is a 2nd rounder but might as well be Jamey Richard. A center taken in the 08 draft, he's again too small, weak, and tentative to play OL in the NFL. Strangely he has looked ok at center but Saturday isn't going to be replaced until he retires.
RT - Ryan Diem is soooooo slow. He can't keep up with future HOFers like Derrick Burgess, Leonard Little, or Antonio Smith. As big as he is he can't run block either. He gets abused regularly. He is also overpaid.

Hope you have fun with these guys.

http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/giants-justin-tuck-and-osi-umenyiora-running-at-training-camp-57e894a7fd361e17_large.jpg

CC.SD
09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Hm despite an invitation for everyone to ***** this is still a colts forum thread. I'd rather complain about special teams and pass rush anyway.

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
Hope you have fun with these guys.

http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/giants-justin-tuck-and-osi-umenyiora-running-at-training-camp-57e894a7fd361e17_large.jpg

I don't even wanna think about those freaks and Kiwi abusing this line. If P Manning makes it through the 4th I will call it a draw at least, whatever the score.

I'll have a word with Belichick and we''ll trade you Logan Mankins for Dwight Freeney.

Probably not, Freeney is what makes the defense go. But yeah I'd love to take that problem child off your hands, he isn't buying the Patriot Way.

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Hm despite an invitation for everyone to ***** this is still a colts forum thread. I'd rather complain about special teams and pass rush anyway.

You should have plenty to say CCSD. How's the protection holding up without McNeil? Has your RT (no idea who it is) slid to LT or are you guys using a second string player?

Also, there are like 3 active posters in the Colts forum so please don't ask me to go there.

MaxV
09-17-2010, 12:53 PM

The talent at skill positions a lot of times makes Colts' O-Line look better then what it really is.

A lot of people look at Addai's recent numbers and think he has regressed significantly since 07/08 season. But if you look at the game film, you'd see that's not the case.

The O-Line that he is running behind right now is largely different. And that includes the holdovers such as Saturday and Diem, who aren't the same players anymore.

It's REALLY difficult for a RB to put up big numbers when he has to break tackles just to get to the line of scrimmage every time.

vidae
09-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Ugh. One game. One game this year. Give him time.

And our OL got a lot better once we added Wiegmann and Lilja, so go us.

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 12:55 PM

And our OL got a lot better once we added Wiegmann and Lilja, so go us.

Bill "The Idiot" Polian says you're welcome.

Shiver
09-17-2010, 12:55 PM
The only time I would give Matt Cassel is until he gets replaced.

The Colts are in a lot of trouble with how one dimensional their offense is, how weak their running game, O-Line and defense are. Tennessee and Houston look really strong as well. I can't believe it but they may not make the playoffs this year. I guess it really is a new decade.

MidwayMonster31
09-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Well if this is in pro football, instead of the Colts board, I'm not looking forward to watching Jay Ratliff, DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer obliterate the Bears line. The Bears did a terrible job of finishing the play against the Lions.

vidae
09-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Bill "The Idiot" Polian says you're welcome.

We really do appreciate it. :)

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Well if this is in pro football, instead of the Colts board, I'm not looking forward to watching Jay Ratliff, DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer obliterate the Bears line. The Bears did a terrible job of finishing the play against the Lions.

Puzzling how they paid a king's ransom for Cutler and have done little to protect him.

yourfavestoner
09-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't understand how you can throw the offensive line under the bus for the Superbowl and then not make a single addition to it.

Bill Polian is an idiot ginger. I hate that man more than anybody in professional sports.

LizardState
09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
The Colts are in a lot of trouble with how one dimensional their offense is, how weak their running game, O-Line and defense are & b/c the Human Eggshell Sanders is done for the yr. again.

Fixed it for you.

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Fixed it for you.

Did you mean Sanders? Mathis isn't injury prone really...

I don't understand how you can throw the offensive line under the bus for the Superbowl and then not make a single addition to it.

Bill Polian is an idiot ginger. I hate that man more than anybody in professional sports.

I can't blame you. He is the architect of my team and I can't stand him. What a prick.

umphrey
09-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Trade us Addai or Brown and we'll give you Spitz, maybe Lang, or Colledge +/- a pick. Spitz can play all 3 interior spots, Lang can play anywhere really, and Colledge can play LG and RT. Plus they are all young but logged a lot of game day PT. That would be a great trade for us, dunno how important having Addai and Brown is for you guys though.

killxswitch
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Trade us Addai or Brown and we'll give you Spitz, maybe Lang, or Colledge +/- a pick. Spitz can play all 3 interior spots, Lang can play anywhere really, and Colledge can play LG and RT. Plus they are all young but logged a lot of game day PT. That would be a great trade for us, dunno how important having Addai and Brown is for you guys though.

If any of those three are decent I'd trade Brown for him. Brown isn't the right kind of RB for us. Though it is weird talking about trading for a GB lineman considering all the flak they took last year for sucking.

LizardState
09-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Fixed it again.

The Colts are more in trouble from that one-dimensional offense though. Team Peyton is all about Manning's arm yet it was always Addai's running & Edge's before that bailing them out. Maybe if Manning offers to take a pay cut so they can draft an elite OLT Polian would take the hint..... nah, he's oblivious. Oblivion runs in the Polian family's gene pool. Ask the FB fans in Baltimore how they feel about the Polians.....

Apparently there are like 10-12 teams with OL injuries, rookies starting (SF 9ers), have multiple false starts or just can't stop pass rushers period. Chicago may be the worst & drafted help in the 7th rd (J'Marcus Webb, W. Texas A&M), at least the GB Packers drafted help & are started a rookie with Bulaga, the 9ers have 2 OL rookies starting, they take a while to learn the position but at least help has arrived & learning. Jerry Angelo is a drafting ignoramus for Bears.

tjsunstein
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Our offensive line doesn't really suck that bad anymore.

umphrey
09-17-2010, 01:21 PM
If any of those three are decent I'd trade Brown for him. Brown isn't the right kind of RB for us. Though it is weird talking about trading for a GB lineman considering all the flak they took last year for sucking.

Entering last year we had 4 starting quality players and this year we have 8 IMO. We added Tauscher, Bulaga, Spitz came back from IR, and Lang was a rookie who took half a year to get going/get discovered. Lang played very solid at LT. He's probably most natural at RT, he got some consideration at LG, and some people even think C is is best position. Spitz was our best interior OL for 2-3 years until we got Sitton. Colledge has started for like 3 years at LG for us and he's up or down every year. His rookie year he looked like a future pro bowler, last year he got beat a lot.

We have 2 OTs that are on the edge of retirement so we stocked up on talent for the past 5 years or so. We are going to need them but right now I'd give one up for a good RB for the sake of this year. Right now we have a lot of young guys who are fringe starters but we know they are going to start once a spot opens up, they already proved they could while being young and not ready and even playing out of position. Those 3 guys would definitely start for the Colts right now and they are young. We probably like Lang too much to give him up though.

umphrey
09-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Also you have to look at last year in 2 pieces.
First 9 games: 41 sacks
Last 7 games: 10 sacks

That's because Tauscher came back, and even at 75% and out of shape he helped out a lot. Lang got his chance, and played some RT when Tauscher was gassed and LT when Clifton got hurt. This year Bulaga and Spitz are here who weren't in 09, so that's why I say we have 8 starters instead of 4 entering 2009.

Splat
09-17-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm tired of blaming other people and making excuses for Cassel's play, in till he proves other wise he is FA/Trade bust.

umphrey
09-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm tired of blaming other people and making excuses for Cassel's play, in till he proves other wise he is FA/Trade bust.

They gave up #34 in the draft for him, and probably a big contract. Yeah that was pretty dumb IMO. Everyone on the planet knew his stats were inflated playing in New England. I don't know how the Chiefs missed the memo. They should have signed a Jake Delhomme level guy and looked for a non-premium QB with similar tools. Wait, they had a couple of top 5 draft picks...they should have just drafted, uh, whoever they passed on, Matt Ryan?

Splat
09-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Matt Ryan was off the board when the Chiefs picked top 5, unless they wanted Sanchez which would have been just as bad as Cassel they didn't really have a shot at a top five QB.

vidae
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. Unless you have some idea of how to fix it, I mean.

nepg
09-17-2010, 02:01 PM
our OL sucked the first possesion of the game

The first couple possessions, then they stopped throwing it. There were also a bunch of dropped passes once Cassel got comfortable behind the line.

The Chiefs' OL played well, and Cassel looked a lot better once he gained some confidence in the men protecting him. This week should provide a dramatically different look from the passing game. Cassel's not worried about getting hit, and Charlie should be able to come up with a better gameplan now that he knows who can do what in a real game.

nepg
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
They gave up #34 in the draft for him, and probably a big contract. Yeah that was pretty dumb IMO. Everyone on the planet knew his stats were inflated playing in New England. I don't know how the Chiefs missed the memo. They should have signed a Jake Delhomme level guy and looked for a non-premium QB with similar tools. Wait, they had a couple of top 5 draft picks...they should have just drafted, uh, whoever they passed on, Matt Ryan?

His stats weren't "inflated" in New England. He just had people who could catch. The 2008 Patriots' OL was just as bad as the 2009 Chiefs. The only difference was that when Cassel made a good throw (which was very often in both years), the Patriots receivers caught it and the Chiefs receivers didn't. Bottom line. The Chiefs led the league in drops. If anything, Cassel's stats were "deflated" playing with the worst receivers in the NFL.

The New England offense isn't some gimmick. Well run? Yes. But it's more about players being where they're supposed to be and making the fundamental (i.e. leaving the spectacular out of it) play they should make when they're called on. Cassel was good in it because he worked his ass off and is talented - athletically and mentally -and he's a leader.

yourfavestoner
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1210/nfl_a_monroe_300.jpg
http://www.jaguars.com/news/images/660x394/8579.jpg

I should point out right now that I really like our offensive line.

All hail Gene Smith!

Splat
09-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. Unless you have some idea of how to fix it, I mean.

That is my whole point the Chiefs have done everything in their power to fix/help out Cassel and he hasn't got any better.

Better OL,weapons and coaching he has everything in place to improve it's sink or swim time and right now he is barely above water.

I really like the kid alot good locker room guy and it's not a lack of effort he works really hard but that is not always enough.

I know the Chiefs have to and should give him the full year with what they have invested in him but if he doesn't improve they should move on next season.

I don't want to high jack the thread so I will just leave it at that.

P-L
09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Our OL sucks because Jeff Backus decided that he wasn't going to repeat his very solid 2009 and go back to being terrible.

nepg
09-17-2010, 02:13 PM
You're being kinda silly about Cassel after one week in a bad weather game. Especially when it was obvious Cassel was a much different player after the OL proved their worth after the first quarter. You should be a lot more optimistic rather than waiting for an opportunity to call for the man's head. He's doing well and is the leader on the offensive side of the ball.

They really didn't improve his weapons that much. They added Moeki and bolstered the running game (which doesn't really help Cassel). Because your'e quite obviously basing this off one game, McCluster doesn't count as a weapon for Cassel until they start using him in the passing game (they didn't get him involved in it at all Monday). Bowe still drops catchable balls, and the OL didn't hold up for the passing game to get into rhythm early in the game.

Babylon
09-17-2010, 02:18 PM

Patriots:

Matt Light, LT-Still more than serviceable at LT however he never was as good as the press clippings from 2007 led you to believe. Maybe has one more year as a starter before Vollmer takes over.

Dan Connolly, LG-Down to the 3rd string guard, I'm actually not too worried about him. The issue comes with depth at the position. Actually one of the better pulling guards around he does struggle when having to play in a phonebooth.

Dan Koppen, OC-The best way to describe Koppen is mediocre. He does well with the line calls etc however he really struggles against big NTs. Could definitely be upgraded.

Stephen Neal, RG-A big, mean, nasty son-of-a-***** Neal's problem is he can't give you a full season. A great mauler in the run game but he can be exposed one on one.

Sebastian Vollmer, RT-One of my favourite draft picks in recent years(not at the time) Vollmer is an animal. He has very good feet and is good in pass protection. However he really shines in run blocking and is a real road grader.

Sounds to me they are desperate for a G in the draft. Got a real sleeper in David DeCastro out of Stanford. He'd be an absolute steal in the second round.

nepg
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I like Connolly and I liked the way the Pats' OL played Sunday. Vollmer should be on the left side, but that's politics. Light needs to be replaced two years ago.

Koppen...it's tough for them to get rid of Koppen because he might be the best center in the NFL when it comes to directing the rest of the OL. It's like trying to replace Brad Ausmus because he can't hit... Sure, you can bring in a better hitting catcher, but your pitching will suffer. Do you give up more runs than you gain by replacing Ausmus?

Scotty D
09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
1st rounder - Logan Mankins
2nd +5th - Marcus McNeil
3rd round + future 3rd - Albert Haynesworth

BeerBaron
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I will still argue that the Bears are worse. Might not be by much, but I truly feel that they are the worst line in the league.

LT - Chris Williams - Looked like dog **** at RT last year, but when they finally gave up on Pace and move Williams to LT, he slightly improved to the level of people ****. His MO as a prospect was that he was a great pass protector but might struggle run blocking in the pros....and now, he doesn't do either of those things well.

LG - Roberto Garza - Dude is aged beyond his years and has played terribly the last couple of seasons. He's small and weak and I swear to god every time you see him he's getting put on his ass. The only reason he has a job this year is because Lovie sticks with certain veterans waaay too long (Rashied Davis is still on this team) and we needed a veteran who could pick up Martz' offense quickly. Otherwise, Jon Asiata would probably be starting here and at least be terrible but young so he could hopefully improve in the future.

C - Olin Kreutz - Those pro bowl years are ancient history.....he's been awful for several seasons running now. He gets shoved around by pretty much everybody and gets no push in the run game whatsoever anymore.

RG - Lance Louis - Athletic 7th round pick....mixed results so far. At least there's some semblance of hope that he might improve with some experience.

RT - Frank Omiyale - AKA ****** guard who is now ****** tackle. The dude is a ******* worthless joke of a player and the only reason he has a job I feel is because JA doesn't want to look like an ass for paying a ****** backup starter money in free agency. I truly hope that 7th round rookie Adam Webb ends up starting over him because frankly, I can only take so much of seeing Omiyale get pushed backwards on every ******* play.

And what is it with JA only drafting o-lineman in the 7th round? Idiot. Probably could have found at least a few mediocre young starts along the o-line with the mid rounders we threw away on guys like Iglesias, Gilbert, Okwo, Bazuin......damn him.

Xenos
09-17-2010, 10:57 PM
You should have plenty to say CCSD. How's the protection holding up without McNeil? Has your RT (no idea who it is) slid to LT or are you guys using a second string player?

Also, there are like 3 active posters in the Colts forum so please don't ask me to go there.

I'll actually answer that question. The main weakness and problem on our offense is sadly our center, Nick Hardwick, who is useless against a 3-4 defense. And considering that most of the pressure on Rivers was up the middle, then I would have to say that we might need to draft a new center next year. Dom (McNeill's replacement) has acquitted himself very well so far.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Oaklands is much worse no explanation needed just watch them play the Rams tomorrow and you'll see how bad it is.

RaiderNation
09-18-2010, 01:52 PM
We have Mario Henderson and Langston Walker as our tackles

/thread

Paranoidmoonduck
09-18-2010, 01:56 PM
And our most talented tackle playing center. And our best offensive lineman is injured.

BeerBaron
09-18-2010, 02:04 PM

/thread

Frank Omiyale says hi.

SuperMcGee
09-18-2010, 02:13 PM

/thread

We can trade back Cornell Green for Walker, if you want.

RaiderNation
09-18-2010, 02:15 PM

Lol that is 1 guy who I will pass on, thats for sure. Atleast Walker can be a decent LG or RG for us, while Green... was good at holding and false starting

yourfavestoner
09-18-2010, 02:29 PM
Damn, I was really high on Chris Williams, too. I thought he'd be a stud.

BeerBaron
09-18-2010, 02:34 PM
Damn, I was really high on Chris Williams, too. I thought he'd be a stud.

Yeah, he's killing me. If he was at least decent, we could focus on fixing the rest of the line in the future, but he hasn't even looked like a keeper. The one good game he's had that I've seen was last year when we beat the Vikes late in the season. He totally silenced Jared Allen in that game.

Then he'll have games like vs. the Raiders in the preseason where he just got his **** kicked in by Kamerion Wimbley for 5 sacks.

And like I said in my write up, if he was at least decent as a pass blocker like he was supposed to be coming into the draft, I'd be ok with him. But he gets no push in the run game AND he's getting beat like a rented mule in pass blocking. Not good.

Frank Omiyale still manages to be somehow worse.

EvilNixon
09-18-2010, 02:43 PM

That dude was so clutch. Any 3rd down in a crucial situation is an automatic false start or holding from Cornell..I hope he isn't starting in Buffalo lol

EvilNixon
09-18-2010, 02:45 PM
I really don't think you guys understand how bad Mario Henderson is.He's weak AND slow. He gets no push in the run game and gets destroyed by anyone he faces. Put anyone against this guy...ANYONE..and he will hold or let them blow right by him. He is trash.

yourfavestoner
09-18-2010, 02:52 PM
I really don't think you guys understand how bad Mario Henderson is.He's weak AND slow. He gets no push in the run game and gets destroyed by anyone he faces. Put anyone against this guy...ANYONE..and he will hold or let them blow right by him. He is trash.

What is Khalif Barnes doing these days? He was really good with us his first year, then proceeded to fall off the face of the earth.

EvilNixon
09-18-2010, 03:00 PM
He's better than Mario Henderson, but Cable refuses to give up on him.

descendency
09-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Get them Logan Mankins number.

Addict
09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Our OL sucks because Jeff Backus decided that he wasn't going to repeat his very solid 2009 and go back to being terrible.

I'm still hoping he takes it back in week 2!

it's either that or we're in deep, deep ****.

scottyboy
09-18-2010, 09:02 PM
because it's not 2007
:(

09-20-2010, 08:54 AM
From Mario Henderson:

"I just realized for me, playing left tackle, I think it's just like, everybody gives up sacks, but now I really understand the fact of protecting the quarterback's blind side. Because I watch Sunday, guys getting sacked, and I guess he can see it coming from the right side, but it's just like, when it's coming from there, I really see the quarterback has no (frickin') idea."

"That's why the majority of sacks the quarterback gets is from the blind side. Always sack-fumble. Majority of them. Same thing that happened in the (49ers) game. So I just kind of look at it like, Damn, man, the left side is really important. So now I kind of feel for Jason and I feel for my position."

"If you just turned on ESPN, you seen me get beat by a sack-fumble. Nobody knows he was offsides because they didn't throw the flags. They jumped us a few times in the game. But once again, playing left tackle, a guy jumps offsides, I have no chance. None. And it always looks the worst coming from the backside, the blind side. I really learned that. For reals."

"That's kind of what my problem (was in Tennessee). That was real loud. Like I said, it's still no excuse. I'll take the sacks, I'll take the fumbles, all the criticism and all the things people are saying. The only thing I can do is just keep working. It's all I can do. ... I still got to keep looking forward. I just kind of got to block out that negativity. It is tough, though, I ain't going to lie. It really is tough, man."

Still think your OL is worse?