PDA

View Full Version : Mike Singletary: ABM

J-Mike88
09-17-2010, 07:46 PM
http://azsportstalk.com/2010/09/49ers-coach-mike-singletary-doesnt-seem-to-like-yahoo/

Feel bad for the journalist here, unlike that sl*** in the Jets locker room.

General Zod
09-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Mike Singletary doing his best Rex Ryan impersonation. imo

Im just not so sure about Singletary as a coach. I kinda agree with a lot of whats echoed on these forums. Is he a great motivator? Without question. Is he knowledgeable about the x's and o's? No doubt. But the other aspects, game management, play calling, personal rotation. All that has come into question. And he has a head coach, has to be ready to answer those type of questions.
Not "I dont want to talk about it" or "Lets move on". That poor journalist didnt have a chance. And even when he did move on and asked about New Oleans.."We will stop Drew Brees"(stop) "We will run the ball"(stop).

What the hell is that?

Werowance
09-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Lol that is funny.

Brent
09-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Jimmy Raye needs to go, or at least not call the plays.

fenikz
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Singletary is a high functioning ******, its like having James Harrison as a HC

yourfavestoner
09-17-2010, 08:30 PM
He looks so much like Kermit the Frog.

Go_Eagles77
09-17-2010, 09:04 PM
He sounded like a total ****. He's getting interviewed and thinks he can just dictate all the questions?

XxXdragonXxX
09-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Priorities for the 49ers should be.

1. New coaching staff.
2. New QB.

Ness
09-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Mike Singletary doing his best Rex Ryan impersonation. imo

Im just not so sure about Singletary as a coach. I kinda agree with a lot of whats echoed on these forums. Is he a great motivator? Without question. Is he knowledgeable about the x's and o's? No doubt. But the other aspects, game management, play calling, personal rotation. All that has come into question. And he has a head coach, has to be ready to answer those type of questions.
Not "I dont want to talk about it" or "Lets move on". That poor journalist didnt have a chance. And even when he did move on and asked about New Oleans.."We will stop Drew Brees"(stop) "We will run the ball"(stop).

What the hell is that?
Mike Singletary is NOT an x's and o's guy my friend.

General Zod
09-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Mike Singletary is NOT an x's and o's guy my friend.

Well I dont confess to knowing every detail about him. Im sure you being a fan would know a lot more then me. It just seemed liked all of the times he was miked up when he was with the Ravens, he came off has an x's and o's type. But I guess sounding intelligent in sound bytes and making in game adjustment are two different things eh? :-)

phlysac
09-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Well I dont confess to knowing every detail about him. Im sure you being a fan would know a lot more then me. It just seemed liked all of the times he was miked up when he was with the Ravens, he came off has an x's and o's type. But I guess sounding intelligent in sound bytes and making in game adjustment are two different things eh? :-)

He is versed in the "x's and o's" of defense but he knows virtually NOTHING about offense. Which is why it's terrible that his 100% conviction and trust is in an OC that isn't creative enough for the "new" NFL.

I have no issue with Singletary as a HCif... and a big IF, he opens his mind to realize that "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense doesn't work like it used to. If he allowed himself to trust a progressive OC he'd be fine.

bigbluedefense
09-18-2010, 01:23 PM
When are people going to realize that Singletary is a carbon copy of Herm Edwards?

Brent
09-18-2010, 02:20 PM
When are people going to realize that Singletary is a carbon copy of Herm Edwards?
because people like that "I want winners!" type of rah-rah.

Vikes99ej
09-18-2010, 02:25 PM
He mad. Enjoy your 7-9 Singletary.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2010, 02:33 PM
I think people are being way too tough on him too fast. He's turned the Niners around in his short time there and they are better then when he took over, they didn't have a franchise QB then, so what were you expecting?

When he took over a crappy team in 2008 they were 2-5, and finished 5-4. The next season they started out 3-1, which would have been 4-0 if not for the Hail Mary by Brett Favre, and they finished 8-8.

Now all of a sudden people want him to be fired? Lol. Way to be impatient and overreact. Was he supposed to invent a franchise QB in this short of time? He's infused the offensive line full of talent finally, made the most out of Vernon Davis into a pro bowler, has a potential elite #1 WR, and the defense is playing at a level they never were when Nolan was there.

Why does Marvin Lewis get so many chances? He had 1 season over .500 in 7 seasons, and it at least took him 3 full seasons before reaching that, then he had 3 more seasons below it. Yet the Niners should fire Singletary after a season and a half where he went 13-12?

I don't understand it at all. Obviously he needs some Coordinators to help him in areas he's not comfortable in, but I wish people would stop jumping the gun trying to fire people way too fast.

Ness
09-18-2010, 10:37 PM
I think people are being way too tough on him too fast. He's turned the Niners around in his short time there and they are better then when he took over, they didn't have a franchise QB then, so what were you expecting?

When he took over a crappy team in 2008 they were 2-5, and finished 5-4. The next season they started out 3-1, which would have been 4-0 if not for the Hail Mary by Brett Favre, and they finished 8-8.

Now all of a sudden people want him to be fired? Lol. Way to be impatient and overreact. Was he supposed to invent a franchise QB in this short of time? He's infused the offensive line full of talent finally, made the most out of Vernon Davis into a pro bowler, has a potential elite #1 WR, and the defense is playing at a level they never were when Nolan was there.

Why does Marvin Lewis get so many chances? He had 1 season over .500 in 7 seasons, and it at least took him 3 full seasons before reaching that, then he had 3 more seasons below it. Yet the Niners should fire Singletary after a season and a half where he went 13-12?

I don't understand it at all. Obviously he needs some Coordinators to help him in areas he's not comfortable in, but I wish people would stop jumping the gun trying to fire people way too fast.
Marvin Lewis stays in power because of Mike Brown. That's it. Mike Singletary deserves more time, but the people that are ticked about him (49ers fans) are most likely people that were never that happy with his hiring in the first place. He basically got the job for free after winning a few meaningless games. Which was a stupid move. We should have at least interviewed other candidates. Especailly since Singeltary isn't an X's and O's coach. Which is fine, but at the same time it's kind of annoying. Especially since we've gone through so many offensive coordinators.

TitanHope
09-18-2010, 11:05 PM
"Don't base a man's entire career on a dadgum Yahoo commercial."

I totally agree. No man should be judged through advertisements of any kind. I'm pretty sure that's in the Constitution, actually. Look it up.

Feel bad for the journalist here, unlike that sl*** in the Jets locker room.

Yeah, that comment wasn't necessary.

nepg
09-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Mike's great.

Ness
09-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Singletary needs to cool his jets.

soybean
09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
If it helps I too HATE yahoo! (slandering USC every chance they get).

I would really boycott them if they weren't the only fantasy football provider my friends use.

Ps. that reporter must've felt very uncomfortable

binary
09-19-2010, 07:48 AM
He's basically an extension of the Mike Nolan regime, with an even MORE conservative, defense-first mentality. 49er fans are just sick of that ish at this point, most of us became fans because of great offensive football. The thing that really blows, is that this team seems like it has the talent to be good offensively, but our strategy is the most uncreative crap imaginable (running Gore into the middle of the pile to "establish" the run even though the box is stacked and our Oline can't run-block).

EvilNixon
09-19-2010, 08:15 AM
I lol when i see you guys complaining about your coaches

This man says hello

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Oakland+Raiders+Press+Conference+L4XwxVzV6w2l.jpg

J-Mike88
09-19-2010, 09:17 AM
If it helps I too HATE yahoo! (slandering USC every chance they get).
LOL!
As if USC hasn't gotten away with hundreds of minor or serious violations over the past decade.

Singletary should be a defensive coordinator. That's his proper ceiling, it would seem. Maybe even just LB coach as I don't know that he knows enough about coverages. It seems like former DBs make the best defensive coordinators as they're like the point guards or catchers back there.

nepg
09-19-2010, 09:27 AM
I agree that he was pushed into bigger roles because he's Mike Singletary, but I think he's at least an OK head coach. He's surrounded himself with experienced staff so he can focus on what he's good at.

bigbluedefense
09-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Comparing Singletary to Herm Edwards isn't necessarily a bad thing. For what its worth, I always thought Herm Edwards wasn't a bad head coach. He just wasn't a great one either.

Both motivate players and reach players, but both don't really get Xs and Os that much, and both are horrible game and clock managers.

nepg
09-19-2010, 10:43 AM
I always liked Herm. He deserves credit for developing a lot of great secondaries. He's a big part of Flowers and Carr being successful so early in their careers. Herm is amazing wth young players. Great practice/development/preparation coach. He just wasn't a great game day coach.

I'd love to see Herm coach a college team. He'd be like Pete Carroll on steroids (or Pete Carroll without his players being on steroids anyway). He's perfect for the college game and the guy is loaded with integrity, which would be a huge selling point for a lot of schools.

Brent
09-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Singletary should be a LBs coach. That's his proper ceiling, it would seem.
That is a more accurate description

LizardState
09-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Everyone thought having Raye as OC was a major milestone b/c it was the 1st time in 8 freaking yrs. the 9ers had the same OC for 2 continuous yrs. Theywere primed to do great things this season but then the wheels came off in Seattle, Smith couldn't get the plays relayed in, possible headset problems, some thing Singletary vetoed several plays that came in from Raye in the presbox, wtf is he doing in the pressbox anyway? most teams want their OC on the sidelines now.

Smith's passes are behind the receivers or sailing way too high, the red zone playcalling is abominable, & the meltdown ensued.

31 unanswered points, damn!

There's been hell to pay in SF this wk. Now Singletary is losing it with the media & the search for scapegoats is diverting attn. with a scavenger hunt looking for media leaking "rats." That's almost always a formula that's career-limiting.

If there's another offensive meltdown happens vs. The NFL champion Saints I think somebody is going to get fired, probably Raye.

hawkeye123
09-19-2010, 11:49 AM
People are taking this "rat" thing out of hand.

phlysac
09-20-2010, 08:28 AM
I truly believe that many, if not most 49ers fans (especially those in their 20's) are spoiled. They tend to assume that what happened in the 80's and half of the 90's to be "the norm." It was a blessing to have an offensive GENIUS in Bill Walsh as head coach. It was a blessing to have back-to-back HOF QBs in Montana and Young. It was a blessing to have 2 of the best WRs in NFL history in Rice and Owens. It was a blessing to have arguably the best DB in the history of the NFL in Lott. It was a blessing to have one of the best owners in the history of professional sports in DeBartolo. I could go on and on.

As 49ers fans we need to stop taking the blessings of the past for granted. The team is improving. The 2003-2005 49ers were some of the worst rosters from top-to-bottom in recent history. It was one game, last weekend. Alot can change. Let's just hope that it does, and it does for the better.

bigbluedefense
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I always liked Herm. He deserves credit for developing a lot of great secondaries. He's a big part of Flowers and Carr being successful so early in their careers. Herm is amazing wth young players. Great practice/development/preparation coach. He just wasn't a great game day coach.

I'd love to see Herm coach a college team. He'd be like Pete Carroll on steroids (or Pete Carroll without his players being on steroids anyway). He's perfect for the college game and the guy is loaded with integrity, which would be a huge selling point for a lot of schools.

Until they realize he's black. Then they won't want to have anything to do with him. College football hasn't figured out yet that black coaches can be very successful.

HawkEye30
09-20-2010, 04:49 PM
He's an a$$ hole. The dude is just trying to do his job. I cant stand this dude, and i would love to know who the rat is.

General Zod
09-24-2010, 10:38 PM
Interesting follow up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bay-Area-anchor-famous-for-Singletary-interview-?urn=nfl-272248

J-Mike88
09-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Interesting follow up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bay-Area-anchor-famous-for-Singletary-interview-?urn=nfl-272248
Never mess with an ABM with power. Never. Singletary wins this round.

J-Mike88
09-26-2010, 06:59 PM
UH-OH.

Mike's Men now drop to en embarassing 0-3 losing big to the Chiefs.

Who gets to interview Mad Mike today, this week?

You know who I want to antagonize, I mean question him now?
Jim Rome. Give him the Jim Chris Evert treatment! I dare ya Romey!

PackerLegend
09-26-2010, 07:06 PM
So wtf? The 49ers looked pretty good against the Saints last Monday and now get crushed by the Chiefs..?┐ WTF))

RufusMcDaniel
09-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Short week, early game for a West coast team...gambling wise, I thought it was easy money.

Basileus777
09-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Singletary is the worst coach in the NFL, maybe the worst head coach the league has seen in years.

He's a homeless man's Herm Edwards, good for nothing outside of a press conference.

yourfavestoner
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Singletary is the worst coach in the NFL, maybe the worst head coach the league has seen in years.

He's a homeless man's Herm Edwards, good for nothing outside of a press conference.

And mooning his team at halftime.

Brent
09-26-2010, 09:06 PM
am I the only one who finds the use of "angry black man" borderline racist?

TitanHope
09-26-2010, 09:46 PM

I thought ABM stood for "A bad man."

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7808/trapavoided.jpg

T-RICH49
09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
I thought ABM stood for "A bad man."

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/7808/trapavoided.jpg

I was thinking A Bad Mofo

dabears10
09-26-2010, 10:37 PM

They wanted to call him a colorful man, but that seemed just as racist.

General Zod
09-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Yes, the 49ers got whooped. That means that Kermit is going to yell at another media person because he is a "fiery motivator".

49ersfan_87
09-26-2010, 11:06 PM
Interesting follow up:

That video was hilariously awkward. Looks like a potential Coors Light ad right here.

As for Singletary's demeanor, he clearly over-reacted. You'd think he would have cooled off by now, removing O'Donnel seems unnecessary. This would all be forgiven if Singletary was any good as a HC though, which he seems to prove each week that he clearly isn't.

Shiver
09-27-2010, 05:05 AM
I am so glad we didn't hire Mike Singletary. Boring Mike Smith is just fine for me.

Addict
09-27-2010, 05:30 AM
damn...Singletary┤s a dick... who knew?

onejayhawk
09-27-2010, 07:19 AM
Never mess with an ABM with power. Never. Singletary wins this round.

Really?

After the Chiefs game, I think a death watch is in order.

J

J-Mike88
09-27-2010, 09:49 AM
@JasonLaCanfora: 49ers have fired offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye.

Gay Ork Wang
09-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I laughed at that

abaddon41_80
09-27-2010, 10:11 AM
At least Singletary is man enough to admit that mistake

General Zod
09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
They had to do something. I mean your down +20 points in the 4th quarter and you call up 3 straight run plays? The Chiefs were afterwards that they could predict almost every play.

abaddon41_80
09-27-2010, 11:02 AM
One 49ers source said the Chiefs defense was calling out plays -- often correctly -- before the snap of the ball

http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/26/10/img-srchttpcsnbayareacomcommonglobal_ima/landing.html?blockID=318846&feedID=5936&qv=1#bp

lol

General Zod
10-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Looks like Madden doesnt care for Singletarys coaching either. Kinda surprised me because I figure Madden would like the old school approach.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/12/john-madden-on-singletarys-sideline-tactics-thats-not-coaching/