PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett > Jake Locker

dregolll
09-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Jake Locker is soooooooooo overrated until it's just downright laughable. When you have guys like Scott Wright and Shane calling this guy the best QB prospect since John Elway or Peyton Manning...it makes them sound like homeristic clowns. I mean this guy can not beat a Nebraska team that really has not been relevant for years. On the flip side, you take a guy like Ryan Mallett who has looked great throughout the young season and led his team on a game winning drive against Georgia.
If Locker was in the SEC, he would be a third string QB. It's even more laughable that he is being mentioned as a potential #1 overall pick. Also, please don't come with the Locker doesn't have a supporting cast crap because even if the team is playing bad, he still should be able to put up better numbers. I predict him to take a Brady Quinn fall on draft day and
Mallett will be the #1 overall pick. Please, stop with all of the slobbering over this overrated QB. Just my opinion, I could be wrong!!

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the third thread you created saying Mallet is better than Locker. We get it, you like Mallet and hate Locker.

You're calling Scott and Shane "homeristic clowns". You're the one who sounds like a homerisitc clown.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Enjoy your lock and ban when they come.

Halsey
09-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Yeah, Nebraska hasn't been relevant in years. Nobody was paying attention last year when they came within a last second field goal of winning the Big 12.

niel89
09-18-2010, 05:36 PM
I was waiting for a thread like this. Nebraska is a pretty good team.

Locker had a bad day, Mallett had a good day. Its still just one day.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 05:50 PM
Mallett was good for the most part, but he wasn't without some struggles of his own... if Georgia DBs could catch, they would have had an INT or two and Mallett seemed to completely lose his accuracy in the 3rd quarter.

Nebraska could very well end up in the National Title... they've got an incredibly good defense and are in the same conversation as Alabama and Ohio State for best in the country.

Jake Locker does have a terrible supporting cast, but a lot of his mistakes were his own fault and that hurts him.

Personally, I'll still take Locker over Mallett, but that's me.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2010, 06:04 PM
How can you be a homeristic clown when neither of those two guys even likes Washington? How would that even make sense? But I guess when your a 13 year older who has cpu access when their parents aren't home you don't need to make much sense.

FuzzyGopher
09-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't say Mallett looked great today. He looked good and his big numbers are a little deceiving. A lot of yards came from dump offs that went for big gains and some blown coverages. At least one of the touchdowns came from a blow coverage as well. It's way to early in the game to be saying one quarterback is light years ahead of the other. There is still a long way to go until draft day and a lot can happen between now and then.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Jake Locker would have been written off on this forum a long time ago if he was black. You can only get better as a passer down the line when you are a scrambler if you are white.

prock
09-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Jake Locker would have been written off on this forum a long time ago if he was black. You can only get better as a passer down the line when you are a scrambler if you are white.

That's ignorant.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
That's ignorant.

But accurate.

BigBanger
09-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Black QBs are typically dumber and don't like to work. See JaMarcus Russell. Or have issues with getting arrested. See Mike Vick. Or flat out suck. See Jason Campbell.

Since we are making broad generalizations, I'd thought I just throw that out there.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 06:57 PM
yay race baiting

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2010, 06:58 PM
That's ignorant.

It is ignorant. It's the reason Jake Locker can go 4-20 and will get a pass, but anyone else would be moved to WR.

It is what it is.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 06:59 PM
It is ignorant. It's the reason Jake Locker can go 4-20 and will get a pass, but anyone else would be moved to WR.

It is what it is.

Yeah, but did you see how sexy his 16 incompletions were? I mean, DAMN. Best looking incompletions ever.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:00 PM

It is what it is.
How exactly is he getting a pass? The guy had a huge opportunity to make a statement and he failed... he had 2 bad INTs and if not for a penalty, would have had 3.

Is this about Terrelle Pryor?

Babylon
09-18-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, but did you see how sexy his 16 incompletions were? I mean, DAMN. Best looking incompletions ever.

It was either force the ball in or keep taking sacks because there was nothing open, that was the toughest defense i've ever seen come into Seattle but i'll admit we stink.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
How exactly is he getting a pass? The guy had a huge opportunity to make a statement and he failed... he had 2 bad INTs and if not for a penalty, would have had 3.

Is this about Terrelle Pryor?

Somewhat about Pryor, mostly about any QB that is black being written off as "as good of a passer as he's going to get" and guys like Locker are mediocre passers too, but will get the "has so much upside and potential to improve"

Guys like Pryor are being talked about moving to receiver, and Locker is Steve Young/John Elway.

The seperation just isn't that big between the two, take that as a compliment to Pryor, or a huge knock on Locker, doesn't really matter.

(I think Locker has huge upside and talent BTW).

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:03 PM
It was either force the ball in or keep taking sacks because there was nothing open, that was the toughest defense i've ever seen come into Seattle but i'll admit we stink.

Oh, good. I was wondering how long the Locker apologists would take to come on out.

Nick ************* Sheridan never went 4-20. NICK SHERIDAN! But yeah, sorry if I refuse to buy into 4-20's hype.

Babylon
09-18-2010, 07:04 PM

It is what it is.

So a 5th year guy, black or white, who was projected to be a top pick in the draft, would get moved to WR after a bad day against a great defense, ok.

jrdrylie
09-18-2010, 07:05 PM
J I mean this guy can not beat a Nebraska team that really has not been relevant for years. On the flip side, you take a guy like Ryan Mallett who has looked great throughout the young season and led his team on a game winning drive against Georgia.

If Locker was in the SEC, he would be a third string QB.

Nebraska is a the number 8 team in the nation. They have an amazing defense. Sure they haven't been great in a while. But you could say the same thing about Florida before they won two titles. As for Georgia, when is the last time they were good? They are 1-2 right now, with only a win over UL-L. Best case scenario, they finish 8-4. In reality, they could be as bad as 5-7.

And where would Locker be 3rd string? The only schools where he might not start would be Alabama, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, and Arkansas. And I'm not too sure he wouldn't start at Florida and South Carolina.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:06 PM
So a 5th year guy, black or white, who was projected to be a top pick in the draft, would get moved to WR after a bad day against a great defense, ok.

4-20 is not bad. 4-20 is pitiful, atrocious, and pathetic.

Saints-Tigers
Thing is, Terrelle Pryor isn't nearly as good of a passer as Mallett or Luck, so he won't be a top pick.

Jake Locker also isn't nearly as good of a passer as Mallett or Luck, so why is he given the top pick considerations?

Jake Locker has to improve measurably before he's even close to being a mediocre NFL caliber passer.

Sniper
Nebraska is a the number 8 team in the nation. They have an amazing defense. Sure they haven't been great in a while. But you could say the same thing about Florida before they won two titles. As for Georgia, when is the last time they were good? They are 1-2 right now, with only a win over UL-L. Best case scenario, they finish 8-4. In reality, they could be as bad as 5-7.

And where would Locker be 3rd string? The only schools where he might not start would be Alabama, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina, and Arkansas. And I'm not too sure he wouldn't start at Florida and South Carolina.

He would easily start at both UF and USCe, but he's not the No. 1 pick.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Thing is, Terrelle Pryor isn't nearly as good of a passer as Mallett or Luck, so he won't be a top pick.

Jake Locker also isn't nearly as good of a passer as Mallett or Luck, so why is he given the top pick considerations?

Jake Locker has to improve measurably before he's even close to being a mediocre NFL caliber passer.

4.39 SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!1

What a joke.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Somewhat about Pryor, mostly about any QB that is black being written off as "as good of a passer as he's going to get" and guys like Locker are mediocre passers too, but will get the "has so much upside and potential to improve"

Guys like Pryor are being talked about moving to receiver, and Locker is Steve Young/John Elway.

The seperation just isn't that big between the two, take that as a compliment to Pryor, or a huge knock on Locker, doesn't really matter.

(I think Locker has huge upside and talent BTW).
Pryor's problems are his mechanics, plain and simple. Whether he's black, white, or purple, his mechanics and throwing motion are a train wreck and are what make him a bad QB prospect for the NFL and then his decision making is pretty bad too and I'm an OSU fan.

Fellow Ohio State black quarterback Kenny Guiton has a beautiful throwing motion as well as being a tremendous athlete. I'm curious if he's gonna be able to win the job when Pryor leaves.

Jake Locker's decision making needs to improve, because if he makes decisions like he did today, his NFL career will be a short one. However, his mechanics and throwing motion are a dream come true compared to Terrelle Pryor's.

Babylon
09-18-2010, 07:08 PM
4-20 is not bad. 4-20 is pitiful, atrocious, and pathetic.

I said he was lousy, where were you last week when he threw for 300 yards and 65% against Syracuse. They and he were terrible today what more do you want to hear?

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I said he was lousy, where were you last week when he threw for 300 yards and 65% against Syracuse. They and he were terrible today what more do you want to hear?

Oh, gee, SYRACUSE? Oh ****, seal up the Heisman now. Man, the guy tore up Syracuse. Hot damn. NFL teams are going to start throwing games now so they can get the demi-god who tore up the mighty Orange.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:11 PM
So the forum is racist... are guys like Scott, Todd McShay, and Mel Kiper racist too because they were all saying Jake Locker would have been the #1 pick in the draft last year and have him as the #1 pick in this draft to this point.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Oh, gee, SYRACUSE? Oh ****, seal up the Heisman now. Man, the guy tore up Syracuse. Hot damn. NFL teams are going to start throwing games now so they can get the demi-god who tore up the mighty Orange.

Who is saying anything about the Heisman for Locker? He was never a realistic candidate.

Meanwhile, you're touting Denard Robinson and his game against awful 1-2 UConn, bad 1-1 Notre Dame, and FCS UMass.

Babylon

He was never a heisman candidate and you and i agreed on that but you have to keep regurgiating the same garbage. Some of these teams schedule cupcakes and by the 3rd week their players look great. Washington is terrible,probably one of the worst defenses in the country. You're not getting much of an argument on how bad Locker and co. were today but i'm sure you'll keep reminding us.

jrdrylie

The point about Pryor is a good one. Statistically, Pryor was much better as a freshman than Locker. Pryor's sophomore year and Locker's junior year (he was hurt as a sophomore) were pretty similar, with Locker being a little better. I think both QBs arms are about the same strength and both are very good runners. But people are saying Pryor must move to WR while Locker is the number 1 pick.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:15 PM
The point about Pryor is a good one. Statistically, Pryor was much better as a freshman than Locker. Pryor's sophomore year and Locker's junior year (he was hurt as a sophomore) were pretty similar, with Locker being a little better. I think both QBs arms are about the same strength and both are very good runners. But people are saying Pryor must move to WR while Locker is the number 1 pick.

Wow... way not to take into account the teams these guys are on.

Ohio State vs. Washington. The same Washington team that was 0-12 2 years ago and were not remotely competitive after the Locker injury.

Nor does this take into account things like mechanics or accuracy, which Locker is way, way, way, way better than Pryor on.

You'd have a much better time arguing for someone like Jerrod Johnson as opposed to Pryor.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Who is saying anything about the Heisman for Locker? He was never a realistic candidate.

Meanwhile, you're touting Denard Robinson and his game against awful 1-2 UConn, bad 1-1 Notre Dame, and FCS UMass.

Dude, he's got 1,230 yards. I don't care if you play three D-3 teams. That's ******* incredible.

Also, I love how during the entire off-season, Buckeye fans insisted that UM would start 0-2. Now that UM handled UConn and ND, it's, "oh yeah, those teams were just really bad."

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:17 PM
I hate prospect x, you are all racists!

Gotta love the draft.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:18 PM
He was never a heisman candidate and you and i agreed on that but you have to keep regurgiating the same garbage. Some of these teams schedule cupcakes and by the 3rd week their players look great. Washington is terrible,probably one of the worst defenses in the country. You're not getting much of an argument on how bad Locker and co. were today but i'm sure you'll keep reminding us.

Well, according to Todd McShay, anyone who doesn't have Locker as the top pick doesn't know anything about QB scouting. I guess I don't know anything about QB scouting. I literally have never seen any top QB prospect go 4-20. I've never even seen Nick Sheridan go 4-20, even against Ohio State.

jrdrylie
09-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Wow... way not to take into account the teams these guys are on.

Ohio State vs. Washington. The same Washington team that was 0-12 2 years ago and were not remotely competitive after the Locker injury.

Nor does this take into account things like mechanics or accuracy, which Locker is way, way, way, way better than Pryor on.

You'd have a much better time arguing for someone like Jerrod Johnson as opposed to Pryor.

I'll admit Washington is nowhere near as talented as Ohio State, but great QBs can still look good on mediocre teams. Jimmy Clausen did. And Pryor's footwork is much much better this season than last season. At least he is showing progression.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Dude, he's got 1,230 yards. I don't care if you play three D-3 teams. That's ******* incredible.

Also, I love how during the entire off-season, Buckeye fans insisted that UM would start 0-2. Now that UM handled UConn and ND, it's, "oh yeah, those teams were just really bad."
Dude, UConn went out and got handled by Temple today. They are 1-2 and their win is against a directional Texas team.

Notre Dame was bad last year and they aren't looking good this year... they are currently playing Michigan State and next week have Stanford. Their best case scenario is 2-2 and could easily be 1-3.

You are welcome to make the argument that both of these teams are good, but I know you're smarter than that.

And as long as you're going to hate on Boise State's schedule as a reason they shouldn't go to the National Title, I'm going to hate on Denard Robinson's schedule until he plays some 'real' teams, because Boise State has been nothing short of incredible as well.

I think Denard Robinson is an incredible player and right this second, probably deserves the Heisman, but he plays cupcakes and you insist on killing Boise State for it, so I'll kill Michigan for it.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 07:21 PM

So arm strength and production are the only things to grade QB's on?

Babylon
09-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Well, according to Todd McShay, anyone who doesn't have Locker as the top pick doesn't know anything about QB scouting. I guess I don't know anything about QB scouting. I literally have never seen any top QB prospect go 4-20. I've never even seen Nick Sheridan go 4-20, even against Ohio State.

I'm not even thinking Locker as the #1 pick so you arent hearing that from me. I would just like to see him sit behind an offensive line that can block and receivers that can get open. I was down close to the field and the push in his face was unreal. I've played some QB and that is really hard to deal with. 4-20 is terrible but he didnt forget how to play QB in just 7 days.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
I hate prospect x, you are all racists!

Gotta love the draft.

I don't love or hate either as a prospect, and I'd love to develop either behind BRees.

But Pryor is "lol, WR, undraftable as a QB" and Locker is "1st pick, the best of Steve Young and Elway!!!"

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Matt Ryan had some times in his senior year where he looked just as bad as Locker. It didn't look as bad because the gameplan that year was the throw the ball until his arm fell off, but still.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll admit Washington is nowhere near as talented as Ohio State, but great QBs can still look good on mediocre teams. Jimmy Clausen did. And Pryor's footwork is much much better this season than last season. At least he is showing progression.

Jimmy Clausen was throwing to Golden Tate (2nd round pick), Michael Floyd (probable 1st round pick), and Kyle Rudolf (probable 1st round pick), and that offense still underperformed.

Stop.

Babylon
09-18-2010, 07:23 PM

Clausen had Floyd and Rudolph (two #1 picks). to say Washington isnt near as talented as Ohio ST. is the understatement of the century.

Forgot Tate, thanks wonderbread

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Every single player on Washington's offense is going undrafted. Even Polk. Kearse might be a 5th round talent. It's that bad. People lose sight of that.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm a Mallet guy myself but can we not overreact to one bad game Locker has. Sure it would have been nice to see him play well against Nebraska but if you Locker haters have seen him play before, you know why lots of people love him as a prospect.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Every single player on Washington's offense is going undrafted. Even Polk. Kearse might be a 5th round talent. It's that bad. People lose sight of that.

I think you might be underselling Kearse a little bit, but the only realistic comparison I can think of when it comes to with what Locker is working with is Jay Cutler when he was dragging Vanderbilt's rotting carcass of a football team

BigBanger
Well, when his opponent is on a more even playing field... his numbers, surprisingly, do look more competent. You take the talent he has around him and set that up against, arguably, the best defense in the country.... results are probably going to be bad. Washington is a bad team. Plain and simple. That is also being nice.

I think Locker has top pick potential. Do I think he will get there after watching him today? No. He's still a mid first round caliber player though. I saw all I needed to see from him in regards to his inability to look off targets and come off his number 1 guy, he still just doesn't do it. Is he John Elway? I can't even believe people compared the two, but if they did (supposedly Scott did), then that is simply a gross exaggeration on their parts. Don't come back and knock the player for other people's stupid remarks about him. Watch the kid, make your own judgement.

When Pryor plays Syracuse, it's a little different. Pryor actually has talent around him. Pryor is on a team that is actually, not only ranked, but on a team many think have a Championship caliber team. Pryor is simply a terrible passer. He stinks. I could go into detail, but it's a waste of my time. And he's simply not worth it. Is he a good college player? Absolutely. But that means nothing when projecting him to the next level.

As far as projecting players to the NFL, you have to take into account surrounding talent. Whether a player is on a bad team or a loaded team. Bradford and Locker are on both ends of the spectrum, but you have to ask the same questions. Is Bradford benefiting from the surrounding talent? Is Locker struggling because of his surrounding talent.

Dismissing those questions is naive.

Sniper
Dude, UConn went out and got handled by Temple today. They are 1-2 and their win is against a directional Texas team.

Notre Dame was bad last year and they aren't looking good this year... they are currently playing Michigan State and next week have Stanford. Their best case scenario is 2-2 and could easily be 1-3.

You are welcome to make the argument that both of these teams are good, but I know you're smarter than that.

I'm not saying they're great, but for Christ's sake, all I heard all off-season was how UConn's eleventy six thousand million returning starters and ZOMGZ RUNNING GAME would obliterate UM's team. Denard Robinson was going to get -912 rushing yards because of the amazing UConn LBs.

Then, it was Michael Floyd was going to get 812 receiving yards (to be fair, I thought the same) and Tate Forcier would have to take over because Manti "I'm Patrick Omameh's *****" Te'o was going to murder Denard.

Boise State has been nothing short of incredible as well.

Yes, let us be amazed at how they handled the same Virginia Tech by 3 points that lost to James Madison by five.

I think Denard Robinson is an incredible player and right this second, probably deserves the Heisman, but he plays cupcakes and you insist on killing Boise State for it, so I'll kill Michigan for it.

1,230 yards. One thousand two hundred and thirty yards. Think about that for a second. How many players have 1,230 total yards right now? Okay, thanks.

Babylon

Dont forget their special teams are probably the worst in the country too. Kearse might get drafted next year but that's it. The O-line is arguably the worst in Div-1 football and the defense forces you to play the long field. No excuses for giving up 50 something pts though at home.

jrdrylie
So arm strength and production are the only things to grade QB's on?

Absolutely not, but on all of the things you use to grade quarterbacks, Pryor isn't all that far off. Arm strength, mobility, size, production. Sure accuracy and mechanics aren't as good for Pryor. But he has shown progression in terms of mechanics. My point is Pryor isn't nearly as bad a prospect as most make him out to be. And it is a shame that the talent around Locker is so bad. If he played on a better team, we could judge whether his mediocre statistics are based on on being on a bad team or if it is the story of a guy with all the tools in the world but just can't put it all together.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I don't love or hate either as a prospect, and I'd love to develop either behind BRees.

But Pryor is "lol, WR, undraftable as a QB" and Locker is "1st pick, the best of Steve Young and Elway!!!"

Pryor is not undraftable as quarterback. He has much less of a chance to stick there than Locker though. His accuracy is bad already and his delivery HAS to be tweaked. He's also playing in the spread. That's enough for some people.

P-L
09-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm sure glad we all just gave up on Jay Cutler after he completed 30% of his passes, threw 2 interceptions, and accounted for no touchdowns against LSU as a senior.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm sure glad we all just gave up on Jay Cutler after he completed 30% of his passes, threw 2 interceptions, and accounted for no touchdowns against LSU as a senior.

But he played in the SEC. That game in the Pac Ten is 10/10 for 4000 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Babylon
09-18-2010, 07:31 PM

My recollection is Cutler had a better supporting cast around him than Locker does. Shocking i know.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
Absolutely not, but on all of the things you use to grade quarterbacks, Pryor isn't all that far off. Arm strength, mobility, size, production. Sure accuracy and mechanics aren't as good for Pryor. But he has shown progression in terms of mechanics. My point is Pryor isn't nearly as bad a prospect as most make him out to be. And it is a shame that the talent around Locker is so bad. If he played on a better team, we could judge whether his mediocre statistics are based on on being on a bad team or if it is the story of a guy with all the tools in the world but just can't put it all together.

And accuracy and mechanics are arguably the 2 most important assets a QB can have and guess what, Pryor has neither. That's why nobody is really high on him as a prospect.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:33 PM
My recollection is Cutler had a better supporting cast around him than Locker does. Shocking i know.

Earl Bennett and Chris Williams.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:35 PM
I'm not saying they're great, but for Christ's sake, all I heard all off-season was how UConn's eleventy six thousand million returning starters and ZOMGZ RUNNING GAME would obliterate UM's team. Denard Robinson was going to get -912 rushing yards because of the amazing UConn LBs.

Then, it was Michael Floyd was going to get 812 receiving yards (to be fair, I thought the same) and Tate Forcier would have to take over because Manti "I'm Patrick Omameh's *****" Te'o was going to murder Denard.
So what did we learn? The experts predicting UConn might be a player for the Big East were horribly wrong and Michigan was underrated by everyone, including Michigan fan, but I think that's because Denard Robinson is that good.

Yes, let us be amazed at how they handled the same Virginia Tech by 3 points that lost to James Madison by five.
And Denard Robinson tore up UMass and UConn, who lost to Temple.

1,230 yards. One thousand two hundred and thirty yards. Think about that for a second. How many players have 1,230 total yards right now? Okay, thanks.
Boise State hasn't lost since the Poinsettia Bowl. How many teams can say that?

We can go around and around like this as long as you want, but it's hypocritical ******** to pimp Denard Robinson's achievements against mediocrity while killing Boise State's.

P-L
09-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Kearse is the only guy on Washington's offense (aside from Locker) who would be in Ohio State's two deep and he wouldn't be starting, since we're talking about Pryor.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Like I said before, you'd be so much better off using Jerrod Johnson in this debate as opposed to Terrelle Pryor.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Like I said before, you'd be so much better off using Jerrod Johnson in this debate as opposed to Terrelle Pryor.

I agree. Johnson is a lot more polished as a passer. Not much talk about moving him either. Not much talk about him as a top pick either though.

Oh, and browse the forum a few years ago. There was Locker to wide receiver talk. There was Locker to safety talk even. 100% serious, search the threads a few years ago. Debate over. Forgot about it, but it was there. Babylon and I participated in those threads, pretty sure he'll vouch for it if they got deleted.

jrdrylie
09-18-2010, 07:42 PM
And accuracy and mechanics are arguably the 2 most important assets a QB can have and guess what, Pryor has neither. That's why nobody is really high on him as a prospect.

You are absolutely right about his accuracy. It has to improve. But he is, at least in my opinion, much better mechanically than Tim Tebow was. He is also a much better pro prospect than Colt McCoy, who went in the 3rd round. He is certainly not undraftable at this point and with almost two full seasons left, he should be vastly improved when he enters the draft. Is he a top overall pick eventually. No. But if Colt McCoy can be drafted in the 3rd, so can Pryor.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 07:46 PM
You are absolutely right about his accuracy. It has to improve. But he is, at least in my opinion, much better mechanically than Tim Tebow was. He is also a much better pro prospect than Colt McCoy, who went in the 3rd round. He is certainly not undraftable at this point and with almost two full seasons left, he should be vastly improved when he enters the draft. Is he a top overall pick eventually. No. But if Colt McCoy can be drafted in the 3rd, so can Pryor.

Lets not bring up Tebow. A QB like him will never sniff the 1st round again.

Before you were wondering why Pryor couldn't be the #1 overall pick but Locker can be. Now you're saying he can be a 3rd round pick. Which is it?

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:52 PM
We can go around and around like this as long as you want, but it's hypocritical ******** to pimp Denard Robinson's achievements against mediocrity while killing Boise State's.

Notre Dame and UConn are still better than 95 percent of the teams that Boise will play this year.

prock
I think he is saying Pryor, a 3rd rounder, isn't much worse than Locker, hyped as #1

P-L
Early on, Boise has looked much better against Wyoming on the road than Texas did against Wyoming at home, since we're playing that game.

jrdrylie
09-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Lets not bring up Tebow. A QB like him will never sniff the 1st round again.

Before you were wondering why Pryor couldn't be the #1 overall pick but Locker can be. Now you're saying he can be a 3rd round pick. Which is it?

I never said Pryor should be number 1. I was saying that the gap between Pryor and Locker was not so wide that Locker is number 1 overall and Pryor should move to receiver.

And before Locker's Junior year if you had said he would be the number 1 overall pick, people would have called you crazy. Just as Locker's pro prospects changed, so can Pryor's.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Early on, Boise has looked much better against Wyoming on the road than Texas did against Wyoming at home, since we're playing that game.

The transitive property always works so well in sports.

BigBanger
09-18-2010, 07:58 PM
I never said Pryor should be number 1. I was saying that the gap between Pryor and Locker was not so wide that Locker is number 1 overall and Pryor should move to receiver.
But he is that much better. You are simply wrong there.

And before Locker's Junior year if you had said he would be the number 1 overall pick, people would have called you crazy. Just as Locker's pro prospects changed, so can Pryor's.
You are right. He was a run first QB with the passing skills of a High School QB. Basically, he was Terrell Pryor.

56crash
09-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Ryan Mallett will not come out this year nor will anyone ...NFL lock out you guys are fighting about nothing .

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Ryan Mallett will not come out this year nor will anyone ...NFL lock out you guys are fighting about nothing .

And there still is going to be a draft....

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 08:00 PM

But we're good at that anyway. Not going to change that.

Just curious, but what exactly does Pryor do better or equal to Locker?

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 08:02 PM

He said it before...Arm strength and production as a freshman.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeah, Locker has a much, much stronger arm. Pryor doesn't have a weak arm, but he still has that issue of getting the ball to come out of his hands the right way that he had at the start of his college career. Not as many ugly duckling passes, but there's enough.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-18-2010, 08:04 PM
2 years ago I said Locker was going to be a pitcher in MLB. That was before Sarkisian showed up.

I've thought Mallett was a top QB prospect since I saw him outplay Jimmy Clausen in the HS All-American game. Still, I'm not going to overreact to one game. I LOVE his arm, always have, but the intangibles worry me. Just listen to him talk and he doesn't sound all that bright. They said during the game that he didn't mix with his teammates too well at Michigan either, which I hadnt heard previous today. Now, I'll take tangibles over intangible any day, but still

Also, Petrino isn't helping him. The names Brohm and Cantwell ring a bell, yea?

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Also, Petrino isn't helping him. The names Brohm and Cantwell ring a bell, yea?

That's a really, really underestimated factor here.

56crash
09-18-2010, 08:06 PM
And there still is going to be a draft....

not going to happen under class will stay this year no games mean no game check teams are going to be stingy with no revenue coming in .

And Rookies will be rust as hell

BigBanger
09-18-2010, 08:08 PM
not going to happen under class will stay this year no games mean no game check teams are going to be stingy with no revenue coming in .

And Rookies will be rust as hell
This is either Emmitt Smith or Shannon Sharpe.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 08:09 PM
That's a really, really underestimated factor here.

Right, because Brohm and Cantwell are totally just like Mallett.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Right, because Brohm and Cantwell are totally just like Mallett.

Did I ever say that? Are you reading the threads going on right now? I've said multiple times Mallet is as talented as any of the quarterbacks in the past few drafts. Brohm and Cantwell have nothing to do with Ryan Mallet, just like John David Booty has little to do with Jake Locker. The offense is extremely quarterback friendly though. Hell, Joey Harrington completed over 60% of his passes in that offense.

jrdrylie
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM

Production is better, arm strength, while not as good, is still very good. Mobility and running ability, both have experience playing in a pro style offense. My point is Pryor is as good or possibly even better pro prospect as Jake Locker was at the same point in their careers. Locker became a first round prospect so writing off Pryor is ridiculous.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Production is better, arm strength, while not as good, is still very good. Mobility and running ability, both have experience playing in a pro style offense.My point is Pryor is as good or possibly even better pro prospect as Jake Locker was at the same point in their careers. Locker became a first round prospect so writing off Pryor is ridiculous.

Pryor has not run a pro-style system at Ohio State. Very spready down there. Shotgun zone read. There's some stuff under center, but it's not a pro-style offense. I agree with the general point, but Locker and Pryor have very little in common.

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 08:17 PM
Production is better, arm strength, while not as good, is still very good. Mobility and running ability, both have experience playing in a pro style offense. My point is Pryor is as good or possibly even better pro prospect as Jake Locker was at the same point in their careers. Locker became a first round prospect so writing off Pryor is ridiculous.

Again, you're not taking accuracy and mechanics into account. That's what separates a lot of QBs from Pryor.

56crash
09-18-2010, 08:18 PM
This is either Emmitt Smith or Shannon Sharpe.

well I even laughed at that nice... yes I cut corners.

jrdrylie
09-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Again, you're not taking accuracy and mechanics into account. That's what separates a lot of QBs from Pryor.

And Locker's accuracy was very spotty his first two seasons as a starter. And Pryor's mechanics are getting better.

nepg
I don't think Petrino hurts him. That Petrino is such an amazing play caller can make Mallett look bad when he goes to a lesser coordinator, but I don't think his development is affected negatively by Petrino at all.

The problem with Brohm was that he was bred to be a QB and was coached by family all the way through college. It was to the point where he became uncoachable by the time he got to the NFL. The same reason a lot of teams backed off of Jimmy Clausen.

Cantwell just never was that good.

56crash
Oh I would be glad to one of them . there Bank account would work for sure .

Hurricanes25
09-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh I would be glad to one of them . there Bank account would work for sure .

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1175750699l/554754.jpg

SchizophrenicBatman
09-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Brohm had a big QB pedigree and Cantwell has a big arm. Mallett has both, and is probably better than both, but I'm just saying. Maybe he's the Aaron Rodgers to the Jeff Tedford tree, maybe he's just another guy Petrino made...

Addict
09-18-2010, 08:37 PM
can't believe I had to neg rep this OP... I never ever neg rep, but this was an exception.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Notre Dame and UConn are still better than 95 percent of the teams that Boise will play this year.

Negative.

But since schedule matters so much, I guess Denard Robinson isn't even in the race until Week 6 or possibly even Week 7 when they play Iowa.

The Heisman winner? Well, I guess it'd be Terrelle Pryor then since Ohio State has played a substantially tougher schedule than Michigan has and Pryor has taken apart everyone and was even taken out early in 2 of the games.

Grats on your Heisman, Terrelle.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Ohio State has played a substantially tougher schedule than Michigan has .

http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg
http://fromthebarn.org/wp-content/uploads/miami20logo.jpg
There's no Mass on the end of it

Sniper
09-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Right. Ohio and Marshall are regular juggernauts, too.

Is that the same U that Pryor completed 44 percent of his passes against? Just double-checking. You seem to have a thing for QBs who can't complete 50 percent of their passes. First Locker, now Pryor.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2010, 08:50 PM
One QB has poor mechanics and is a mediocre to poor passer. One guy has excellent mechanics and is a mediocre passer.

That's my issue here, I just don't see how one guy is a WR and one is John Elway.

Again, I would be happy to have either on my team.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Right. Ohio and Marshall are regular juggernauts, too.

Is that the same U that Pryor completed 44 percent of his passes against? Just double-checking. You seem to have a thing for QBs who can't complete 50 percent of their passes. First Locker, now Pryor.
It's the same U he threw for 200 and ran for 100 against...

And it's that Marshall team that should have beaten West Virginia if not for ridiculous coaching.

Ohio sucks.

But on the whole, Miami, Marshall, and Ohio is FAR more difficult than UConn, Notre Dame, and UMass and it's not even close.

See you in week 7, Shoelace. Guess Michigan should have scheduled some real opponents.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 08:51 PM
One QB has poor mechanics and is a mediocre to poor passer. One guy has excellent mechanics and is a mediocre passer.

That's my issue here, I just don't see how one guy is a WR and one is John Elway.

Again, I would be happy to have either on my team.

Like I said earlier, pre-Sark, people wanted to move Locker to safety, runningback, fullback, and wide receiver. Search it.

Scotty D
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Negative.

But since schedule matters so much, I guess Denard Robinson isn't even in the race until Week 6 or possibly even Week 7 when they play Iowa.

The Heisman winner? Well, I guess it'd be Terrelle Pryor then since Ohio State has played a substantially tougher schedule than Michigan has and Pryor has taken apart everyone and was even taken out early in 2 of the games.

Grats on your Heisman, Terrelle.

Nice try, Terrelle Pryor.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 08:56 PM
It's the same U he threw for 200 and ran for 100 against...

Right. We should totally give Terrelle Pryor the Heisman because DeVier Posey is a boss or because Dan Herron took a short pass for 47 yards. All Terrelle there.

And it's that Marshall team that should have beaten West Virginia if not for ridiculous coaching.

They're still not good. Playing well against a better team =/= a good team.

But on the whole, Miami, Marshall, and Ohio is FAR more difficult than UConn, Notre Dame, and UMass and it's not even close.

Keep backpedaling on your revisionist history. When UConn and ND were supposed to thrash UM, they were "quality opponents". When UM wins, all of a sudden, those teams suck. Right. Makes a lot of sense.

See you in week 7, Shoelace. Guess Michigan should have scheduled some real opponents.

I'm sorry. 1,230 yards on line 1 for you.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Keep backpedaling on your revisionist history. When UConn and ND were supposed to thrash UM, they were "quality opponents". When UM wins, all of a sudden, those teams suck. Right. Makes a lot of sense.

Hype doesn't make UConn or ND good, which is the only thing that preseason is based on... when they're on the field, both teams are mediocre at best. UConn was what... 5-7 last year and then they are 1-2 this year with losses to Michigan and Temple and their win against Directional Texas. ND refused a bowl game out of shame and is 1-1 this year and is struggling right now against Michigan State with Stanford coming up next week. The product on the field is what makes those teams suck.

And find me a post where I ever said either team was good. You'll be looking for a good, long time because I've never said it, so I'm not revising ****.
I'm sorry. 1,230 yards on line 1 for you.
You know what's better than 1,230 yards? A 17 game winning steak.

You can't pimp Robinson and hate on Boise State when both have played ****** schedules. It just doesn't work that way.

09-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Whoever started this thread is a genius. But, really, I had Mallett over Locker going way back. Mobility without top notch intangibles and refined passing skills screams trouble. Jake Locker could be approaching Jake Plummer territory (2nd round), and that's not an overreaction by any means.

Babylon
09-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Whoever started this thread is a genius. But, really, I had Mallett over Locker going way back. Mobility without top notch intangibles and refined passing skills screams trouble. Jake Locker could be approaching Jake Plummer territory (2nd round), and that's not an overreaction by any means.

I doubt he could fall that far based on one game. The only guy who had an epic fall anywhere close to that was Brady Quinn and Quinn doesnt have Locker's tools which will stand out at post season invites and combines.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 09:16 PM
If his stock was to tumble, he is a senior and that would mean he'd likely go to the Senior Bowl and participate in the combine and such. I hope he does anyway, but that would definitely be fun.

09-18-2010, 09:25 PM
I doubt he could fall that far based on one game. The only guy who had an epic fall anywhere close to that was Brady Quinn and Quinn doesnt have Locker's tools which will stand out at post season invites and combines.

Locker won't have the statistical prowess of a Mallett, or possibly even Luck, to reconcile this horrid effort. I understand that he's got the physical tools and a lousy supporting cast, but so do a number of first day hopefuls at the QB position in this class, and a good majority of them have fared better than him to this point. I'm waiting to see a Jay Cutler type of superhuman effort where he singehandidly carries a team on his back to a .500+ record, and that's downplaying Cutler's accomplishments as a senior in a vastly superior conference.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 09:29 PM
Locker won't have the statistical prowess of a Mallett, or possibly even Luck, to reconcile this horrid effort. I understand that he's got the physical tools and a lousy supporting cast, but so do a number of first day hopefuls at the QB position in this class, and a good majority of them have fared better than him to this point. I'm waiting to see a Jay Cutler type of superhuman effort where he singehandidly carries a team on his back to a .500+ record, and that's downplaying Cutler's accomplishments as a senior in a vastly superior conference.

He did that last year at times. Cutler also had games where he looked like the product of his supporting class. Plenty of them. More than Locker if you factor in years other than his senior year. Rose colored glasses a bit there.

Babylon
09-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Who has even close to the supporting cast that Locker has, certainly not Mallett, Luck, Ponder......Johnson of A & M? i cant say i know much about the Aggies.

ElectricEye
09-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Who has even close to the supporting cast that Locker has, certainly not Mallett, Luck, Ponder......Johnson of A & M? i cant say i know much about the Aggies.

Johnson has a better supporting class, in my opinion. He has more than one receiver that's worth a damn. At least he did last year, anyway. Enderle has a supporting class that is worse, but he also plays to much weaker competition.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Earl Bennett and Chris Williams.

Earl was a freshman at the time IIRC, not sure about Williams though(Soph?).

Could Cutler be a good comparison? I haven't seen any of Locker since I work 9 hours every Saturday, and obviously Locker has much more mobility, but does that work? Cutler is a guy who had excellent mechanics aside from a tendency to throw off his back foot(but he threw those beautifully), a beautiful arm, and he definitely has and had the mobility to get outside of the pocket. Obviously at this point Locker is a far superior prospect, but is Cutler+added mobility a good starting point to look at him? I admit I'm definitely underinformed regarding Locker.

Also, I think 4-20 is really, really bad obviously but it isn't necessarily a killer. If he can have great games for the entire rest of the season, is it really going to be reasonable to go back and say he's a bad prospect because of one dreadful day against one of the best defenses in the nation? At this point of the process though, it is a red flag for sure.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-18-2010, 09:53 PM
You know what's better than 1,230 yards? A 17 game winning steak.

Mmm... winning steak...

http://i447.photobucket.com/albums/qq191/maikelito/HomerDrool.png

nepg
09-18-2010, 10:55 PM

UMass is substantially better than Ohio and Marshall. Tough to tell where either UConn or Miami's at. Miami's obviously better, but I'm not sure by how much. I think Miami is on par with ND.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 11:01 PM
UMass is substantially better than Ohio and Marshall. Tough to tell where either UConn or Miami's at. Miami's obviously better, but I'm not sure by how much. I think Miami is on par with ND.
This post is full of win

1-2 Notre Dame on par with Miami... good to know

nepg
09-18-2010, 11:05 PM
1-1 Miami that didn't play this week. Look at who ND has played... Not exactly push overs.

I wouldn't put any money down on Miami beating any of the teams ND has played.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2010, 11:08 PM
1-1 Miami that didn't play this week. Look at who ND has played... Not exactly push overs.

I wouldn't put any money down on Miami beating any of the teams ND has played.
So.... you don't think Miami can beat Purdue, Michigan, or Michigan State?

nepg
09-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I'd give them the same chance as Notre Dame (they could easily go anywhere from 0-3 to 3-0) is what I'm saying.

jrdrylie
09-19-2010, 12:29 AM
I'd give them the same chance as Notre Dame (they could easily go anywhere from 0-3 to 3-0) is what I'm saying.

Wow! Out of three games, Miami could go anywhere from 0-3 to 3-0? What insight!

Miaoww
09-19-2010, 04:02 AM
I don't like Mallett as much as some people seem to. He missed wide open players all day. He did come through in the clutch to win the game though, so you have to respect that.

Also where is he from? His interview after the game was.....interesting. He didn't sound too bright, but it could have just been the accent.

Miaoww
09-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Jimmy Clausen was throwing to Golden Tate (2nd round pick), Michael Floyd (probable 1st round pick), and Kyle Rudolf (probable 1st round pick), and that offense still underperformed.

Stop.

Who was blocking for Clausen? Who was he handing the ball off to?

Answers on a post card please.

jrdrylie
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't like Mallett as much as some people seem to. He missed wide open players all day. He did come through in the clutch to win the game though, so you have to respect that.

Also where is he from? His interview after the game was.....interesting. He didn't sound too bright, but it could have just been the accent.

Ryan Mallett is from Texarkana, TX. The city straddles the Texas/Arkansas border. I unfortunately lived there for a year. Not a great place at all.

ElectricEye
09-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Honestly, I'm not going to call him stupid on the basis on an accent, but I think he's got the lowest football IQ out of the top three guys.

Halsey
09-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I like Mallett, but do agree that his accuracy and intelligence are questions. Other QBs have had questions like that and been quality NFL QBs. I envision Mallett being a guy who is widely considered a 'second round value', but who gets drafted in the first round because of his physical talent, similar to the way Josh Freeman and Joe Flacco were widely viewed. Freeman and Flacco were widely considered 'reaches', but turned out to be good picks, so far.

Babylon
09-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Luck seems to be clearly working his way to the top of that list of Qbs, i think partly because his offense (particularly the O-line) is like a pro line and two they really havent played a good defense yet. He's probably the safest of the big 3.

Mallett looked good in the time i saw him against Georgia although they are not the Georgia defense we're used to seeing. Mallett should be a high riser by draft day.

Jake Locker is looking like coming back to play with that motley crew was a mistake, they have not got any better on offense and arguably worse on special teams and defense. 4-20 againt Nebraska gets all the attention but he had nobody open for 95% of the game and about a half dozen of those incompletions were thrown away to avoid a sack.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-19-2010, 12:46 PM
If Locker continues to struggle this year, Luck would move to the top of my list. I like certain things about Mallett, but I have a degree of uncertainty about him when I watch him play. I'm not sure I see the quick processing in him and that Petrino offense doesn't help in forcing him into those situations.

If Locker drops to the 2nd round, I'd love Oakland to get him. He may be having a rough time, but I still think there's a lot to like about the kid.

MiWolves
09-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Who was blocking for Clausen? Who was he handing the ball off to?

Answers on a post card please.

The same thing could be said for Locker but guess what!? Who was he throwing to? Not two first rounders, 1 2nd rounder, and armando allen who is probably one of the most underated running backs in the game. They lost Sam Young at o-line. Stop defending him honestly. Locker would love to be behind that line and have those runningbacks.

Babylon
09-19-2010, 12:55 PM
If Locker continues to struggle this year, Luck would move to the top of my list. I like certain things about Mallett, but I have a degree of uncertainty about him when I watch him play. I'm not sure I see the quick processing in him and that Petrino offense doesn't help in forcing into those situations.

If Locker drops to the 2nd round, I'd love Oakland to get him. He may be having a rough time, but I still think there's a lot to like about the kid.

In an ironic way if Locker was hurt after the Syracuse game and missed the rest of the year he'd probably be the #1 pick just like Sam Bradford was.

Locker really has had only the one bad game against Nebraska, he played real bad but i didnt see much open there in that secondary, i think he could have done a better job of dumping the ball off to a back when there was nothing open. I'd like to see one game where he had all day to throw and open receivers, he might have to wait till he gets to Buffalo or Seattle for that.......on second thought.

BigBanger
09-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I think the reason why everyone loves Locker is due to how much he has improved from a freshman. He came in as a run oriented QB, got hurt, had NFL style coaching with NFL style scheme and made great progressions with his mechanics. People thought, "Hey, if he can improve that much in just one year, how good is he going to get when he gets NFL coaching?"

Now, we have to set back and look and the lack of progression from his junior year to his senior year. He has made no improvements and continues to stare down his receivers. He locks his eyes on his first target and does not come off it. He made some bad decisions. His first INT was atrocious. His nearly 3rd INT was even worse. He got to the point where he looked more like Rex Grossman than John Elway. Decision making and poise in the pocket have to get better. I understand his line sucks and he had 1 open target all day (which he did hit for a big TD pass), but the decision making needs to be better.

ThePudge
09-20-2010, 02:14 AM
For me Andrew Luck and Ryan Mallett look the part of Top 3-5 picks. I think Locker winds up in the 8-15 range like Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Kyle Boller, etc. It's only September though, plenty of good football to be played.

yourfavestoner
09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
For me Andrew Luck and Ryan Mallett look the part of Top 3-5 picks. I think Locker winds up in the 8-15 range like Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger, Kyle Boller, etc. It's only September though, plenty of good football to be played.

Jake Locker can just go ahead and fall down to Jacksonville. That'd be great.

Shane P. Hallam
09-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Scott and I will discuss this tomorrow night on our Podcast I imagine. Hope people tune in, call in, chat room in and help us with the debate! :) 8:00 PM EST.

www.blogtalkradio.com/DraftCountdown

PrimetimeTheDon
09-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Just my opinion, I could be wrong!!

3rd string?

Have you ever seen this guy play?

Paranoidmoonduck
09-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Jake Locker can just go ahead and fall down to Jacksonville. That'd be great.

I get it. It's funny because you think Jacksonville will be picking later than 8th.

zachsaints52
09-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Shane you want me to call in?!?!?! :D

wonderbredd24
09-20-2010, 02:27 PM
The only thing about this is just how many teams could need a quarterback

Cleveland
Jacksonville
Buffalo
San Francisco
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
Oakland
Seattle
Arizona

That's 10 teams right there and I'm sure someone can argue that one or more of these teams won't take a QB, but it's pretty reasonable that all of these teams could be in the market for a QB and in round 1.

yourfavestoner
09-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I get it. It's funny because you think Jacksonville will be picking later than 8th.

I think they'll be somewhere in the 8-12 range. They were terrible against SD, but that was to be expected. They lost to Seattle 41-3 last year and have historically been abysmal on the west coast.

This team isn't terrible. It's just painfully mediocre.

keylime_5
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
don't forget Minnesota.

Also the thing about teams who need a QB, they tend to pick earlier in the draft than teams who don't need one. I think Luck, Locker, and Mallett will all go pretty fast next April.

Mr. Offseason
09-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I wrote a few weeks ago when I ranked Locker #3 on my QB rankings that Locker's hype has gotten so out of control that he would have to take the same significant jump this year that he had between his sophomore and junior seasons to live up to it, which is just not a realistic expectation. Therefore even if he didn't play so badly against Nebraska I don't think he would remain the "trendy" pick for the top QB and perhaps #1 overall selection.

I personally think Mallett is the most likely #1 selection because of his ridiculous tools, but that's just me. That's not to say that I think he is the best, I just think he is the most likely #1 pick.

jrdrylie
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Cleveland
Jacksonville
Buffalo
San Francisco
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
Oakland
Seattle
Arizona

Philadelphia does not need a QB. You can't give up on a guy after 3 starts. That is ridiculous. And Cincinnati? A few years ago Carson Palmer was a top 5 QB. They is no way the Bengals draft a quarterback in round 1.

JoeJoeBrown
09-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Cleveland
Jacksonville
Buffalo
San Francisco
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Cincinnati
Oakland
Seattle
Arizona

That's 10 teams right there and I'm sure someone can argue that one or more of these teams won't take a QB, but it's pretty reasonable that all of these teams could be in the market for a QB and in round 1.

But the Browns have Colt FREAKIN McCoy.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Cleveland - Very unlikely they'd be as disillusioned with McCoy so soon to take a 1st round QB
Jacksonville
Buffalo
San Francisco - That is a team trying to win now. If Smith lays a total egg this year, they'd probably target a QB, but I'm not expecting that to happen.
Kansas City - Pioli would have to fall out of love with Cassell first.
Philadelphia - No way they take 1st round QB.
Cincinnati - Highly unlikely. Throwing a rookie QB even into a backup role in that offense makes little sense. I don't see them blowing up that offense.
Oakland - They don't have a 1st round pick.
Seattle - They have 2 options at QB they like on the team right now. A 1st round QB is really unlikely.
Arizona - We'll see how Max Hall performs, but they have a few young options and we know that Whisenhunt likes Hall.

That leaves Jacksonville and Buffalo as surefire teams to target a QB with teams like SF, KC, and maybe Cleveland as outside shots. I'd probably throw Minnesota in there as a possibility as well (depends on how their season turns out). That would indicate 2 or 3 (only if Luck leaves earlY) QB's in the top 15 and maybe a guy in the late 1st (Ponder is the most obvious name there.

It's easy to overestimate QB needs at this point in the season, but you're being generous with a lot of those teams.

prock
09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
We definitely need a quarterback. If the Vikings are relying on Joe Webb to be our QB of the future, I might suspend my fanship for a year or two.

niel89
09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
Scott and I will discuss this tomorrow night on our Podcast I imagine. Hope people tune in, call in, chat room in and help us with the debate! :) 8:00 PM EST.

How do we chat room in? I'm actually excited for this. I just signed up for the text alert so won't forget this time.

Shane P. Hallam
09-20-2010, 07:51 PM
How do we chat room in? I'm actually excited for this. I just signed up for the text alert so won't forget this time.

Sign up for Blogtalkradio. When you come in for the show after Scott opens the chat, click on the show link for tomorrow and the chat will come up on the bottom of the screen.

wonderbredd24
09-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Colt McCoy has shown less than nothing. If not for the fact he was a 3rd round pick, he wouldn't have made the team. He was that awful. Allowing him to prevent the team from taking a 1st round quarterback would be insane.

Alex Smith sucks. They have everything else in place. The 49ers need a quarterback.

If Kolb continues to play like Kolb, the Eagles need a quarterback in a bad way unless they want Vick to be their starter, which is certainly possible.

Carson Palmer just isn't good enough for whatever reason.

Arizona's current starting quarterback is Derek Anderson. Regardless of Max Hall or John Skelton, they are most certainly a candidate to take a QB in round 1.

If Pioli is that in love with Matt Cassel, it could very well cost him his job, because Cassel flat out sucks.

TonyGfortheTD
09-21-2010, 03:00 AM
If Pioli is that in love with Matt Cassel, it could very well cost him his job, because Cassel flat out sucks.

If Cassel continues to flat out suck down the stretch, Pioli will basically have no choice.

Ozzy
09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Locker will get drafted high clearly because of his potential down the road. But even Carson Palmer at USC, he eventually got it, and put it all together and had a great senior season after having average seasons before it. He actually reached his potential and shown what he can do, Mark Sanchez did the same thing at USC, after a poor early career he finally showed it was not all just hype.

Locker has yet to show it is not just hype. From being a big kid that could run and was the only thing to talk about in terms of Washington football three years ago, to now being this hyped player that has not lived up to expectations.

He better hope he goes on a NFL roster where he will not start right away.

He screams to be another Kyle Boller or David Carr, big athletic quarterbacks that could move around and were athletic, showed potential but never really put it together in college and same thing happened in the NFL.

If you cannot be a leader and be productive in college against the best, how do you expect to in the NFL?

Clearly will still be a 1st round pick, but if teams are smart he should not be the #1 overall pick. He is very lucky to have that athletic ability and size, at least he has that going for him. However one could argue Andrew Luck is just as athletic, more proven and his throwing arm is far more accurate and he has a much better release.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Colt McCoy has shown less than nothing. If not for the fact he was a 3rd round pick, he wouldn't have made the team. He was that awful. Allowing him to prevent the team from taking a 1st round quarterback would be insane.

Before you go all crazy with your analysis, you do realize that Colt FREAKING McCoy saved a man from drowning, right?

Halsey
09-21-2010, 08:46 AM
It would be so horrible for the Browns if they take a QB in the first round and then Colt McCoy turns out to be a capable QB. No NFL teams wants to have 2 good QBs on their roster. That's a real nightmare scenario for a city that hasn't had a franchise QB in forever.

Babylon
09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Locker will get drafted high clearly because of his potential down the road. But even Carson Palmer at USC, he eventually got it, and put it all together and had a great senior season after having average seasons before it. He actually reached his potential and shown what he can do, Mark Sanchez did the same thing at USC, after a poor early career he finally showed it was not all just hype.

Locker has yet to show it is not just hype. From being a big kid that could run and was the only thing to talk about in terms of Washington football three years ago, to now being this hyped player that has not lived up to expectations.

He better hope he goes on a NFL roster where he will not start right away.

He screams to be another Kyle Boller or David Carr, big athletic quarterbacks that could move around and were athletic, showed potential but never really put it together in college and same thing happened in the NFL.

If you cannot be a leader and be productive in college against the best, how do you expect to in the NFL?

Clearly will still be a 1st round pick, but if teams are smart he should not be the #1 overall pick. He is very lucky to have that athletic ability and size, at least he has that going for him. However one could argue Andrew Luck is just as athletic, more proven and his throwing arm is far more accurate and he has a much better release.

Locker was 42-70 ,5tds, 550 yds, no sacks no ints. in his first two games against BYU and Syracuse, the only question after those two games was whether he would be drafted by Buffalo, Cleveland or Seattle.

Fast forward to the Nebraska game he was terrible, as was the rest of the team, against an extremely tough team to throw against. Had they given him a few screens and passes to the flat and had he not thrown the ball away on at least 5 occasions to avoid big sack yardage we wouldnt even be having a conversation how is the next Kyle Bollar or David Carr.

Ideally for him he gets with a good team where he can sit for a couple of years like Rodgers has up in Green Bay and learn the pro game properly. Totally overreacting to one bad game i think is a bit premature.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Locker was 42-70 ,5tds, 550 yds, no sacks no ints. in his first two games against BYU and Syracuse, the only question after those two games was whether he would be drafted by Buffalo, Cleveland or Seattle.

Fast forward to the Nebraska game he was terrible, as was the rest of the team, against an extremely tough team to throw against. Had they given him a few screens and passes to the flat and had he not thrown the ball away on at least 5 occasions to avoid big sack yardage we wouldnt even be having a conversation how is the next Kyle Bollar or David Carr.

Ideally for him he gets with a good team where he can sit for a couple of years like Rodgers has up in Green Bay and learn the pro game properly. Totally overreacting to one bad game i think is a bit premature.

So he was decent against terrible defenses. Hooray. Not gonna work in the NFL.

Babylon
09-21-2010, 03:07 PM
So he was decent against terrible defenses. Hooray. Not gonna work in the NFL.

The BYU defense with Mendenhall shows a lot of differant looks and i actually think the Syracuse defense is pretty good.

The jumping on the Luck bandwagon ( i do like him too) was brought on by wins against two cheapies in Wake Forest and Sacramento st.

D-Unit
09-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Locker is losing millions.

Babylon
09-21-2010, 03:15 PM

I personally dont think he cares but that would probably mean that he was going to be drafted very high last year and we dont know that.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM
The BYU defense with Mendenhall shows a lot of differant looks and i actually think the Syracuse defense is pretty good.

The jumping on the Luck bandwagon ( i do like him too) was brought on by wins against two cheapies in Wake Forest and Sacramento st.

I'm on the record as to being not sold on Luck either. I think he is better than Locker, that is true, but he is nowhere near a lock to be good NFL QB.

Locker lacks whatever it is good QBs have. He has a lot of the tools, but they don't materialize very often on the field. This has very little to do with his supporting cast. Many QBs have excelled with inferior supporting talent.

Babylon
09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm on the record as to being not sold on Luck either. I think he is better than Locker, that is true, but he is nowhere near a lock to be good NFL QB.

Locker lacks whatever it is good QBs have. He has a lot of the tools, but they don't materialize very often on the field. This has very little to do with his supporting cast. Many QBs have excelled with inferior supporting talent.

Hard to remember a top QB prospect that played with a worse supporting cast but at the moment it escapes me. Maybe it's him not being able to turn chicken #### into chicken salad, i guess that's possible.

TACKLE
09-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Yes. One game is going to cost him millions. Let's overreact why don't we.

Halsey
09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
People thought Sam Bradford cost himself millions at this point last year.

Morton
09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes. One game is going to cost him millions. Let's overreact why don't we.

It's just that he looked SO. BAD. in that one game. I mean, godawful. Like a bum off the street was inserted into a Huskies uniform.

ThePudge
09-21-2010, 05:52 PM
If UW goes 3-9 how seriously can we take Locker as a top 10 prospect?

Shane P. Hallam
09-21-2010, 06:21 PM

I don't see how that is wholly relevant. If Locker plays great from here on out and the team goes 3-9, how does that hurt him?

Sniper
09-21-2010, 06:21 PM

You could always blame everybody else and heap praise on him for their three wins. Seems to be the M.O. around here.

Morton
09-21-2010, 06:26 PM

You can also make excuses about his abysmal supporting staff, and make Nebraska out to be the second coming of the '85 Bears defense, too. That seems to work for some people.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 06:35 PM
You could always blame everybody else and heap praise on him for their three wins. Seems to be the M.O. around here.

Exactly. I just don't see why people think he is the second coming.

He's just a guy. None of these QBs thrills me. They have serious flaws. Locker lacks the ability to make plays under duress.
Luck isn't the most gifted person physically.
Mallet is Mallet

The fact of the matter is, there aren't that many good NFL QBs, and not every class has a good one.

doramide7
09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Enjoy your lock and ban when they come.

Yeah, Nebraska hasn't been relevant in years. Nobody was paying attention last year when they came within a last second field goal of winning the Big 12.

Babylon
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM

He's just a guy. None of these QBs thrills me. They have serious flaws. Locker lacks the ability to make plays under duress.
Mallet is Mallet

The fact of the matter is, there aren't that many good NFL QBs, and not every class has a good one.

I think all 3 of these guys go before Sam Bradford if he were coming out this year.

Shane P. Hallam
09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Scott and I will be discussing Mallet vs. Locker on our Podcast starting now, hope to have you aboard!

RaiderNation
09-21-2010, 07:08 PM

QB is the most important position in football sure, but the guy isnt superman and doesnt control the defense and what his playmakers do. As long as he puts up better numbers I dont see how he can fall out of the top 10, with Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Seattle and Arizona possibly needing a QB.

P-L
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Jay Cutler was 11-35 as a starter in college and he was a top prospect. Sure he ended up going #11, and Locker could ultimately end up in a similar spot, but there were strong indications that he was a serious candidate at #3 that year. Had Vince Young not gone off in the Rose Bowl, Cutler would likely be a Titan right now.

A quarterback's record in college is not necessarily indicative of his success in the NFL. I don't think anyone can watch the Washington Huskies play and make a legitimate claim that Jake Locker is the reason they are not winning games.

ThePudge
09-21-2010, 08:31 PM
My whole point is that it's still very much possible for him to be a damn-near elite quarterback prospect, with all the tools, and be more suited for the 8-15 range. Jay Cutler and Ben Roethlisberger come to mind as others in that boat. We'll see what he can do with the hand he's been dealt.

ElectricEye
09-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I still think going back to school was the right thing for him to do at the time. Washington has regressed this year if anything. Thought the supporting class was going to be much better this year. The receivers they're putting out are god awful. He was not a finished product last year. Sucky thing is that he probably won't be one with all this stuff this year either.

wonderbredd24
09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Locker sucks... don't take him. Awful player.

And don't worry about the Browns taking him... they have Colt McCoy and couldn't possibly need a franchise quarterback.

Edit: and we couldn't possibly use Mark Herzlich, Dontay Moch, or Dont'e Hightower in the 2nd round either.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
I think all 3 of these guys go before Sam Bradford if he were coming out this year.

Conveniently unprovable. You are entitled to your opinions, but I think you are extremely off base here.

JoeJoeBrown
09-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Locker sucks... don't take him. Awful player.

And don't worry about the Browns taking him... they have Colt McCoy and couldn't possibly need a franchise quarterback.

There you go! Colt FREAKING McCoy saved a man from drowning! That's elite NFL QB material!

wonderbredd24
09-21-2010, 08:57 PM

I think he would've gone 3rd his sophomore year, because Sanchez just destroyed the post season draft process in a way that was so unexpected.

FuzzyGopher
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

Mallet is Mallet

Have you even seen any of these guys play? Under duress Locker makes plays with his feet, that's one of his strengths. Luck is a big guy with good arm strength and he has shown the ability to scramble as well. And I don't even know what "Mallett is Mallett" means.

Mr.Regular
09-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I dont think Mallett is getting enough love around here. I hope I'm not making the same mistake I did with JaMarcus, but I'm just in love with this guys tools. Not only his insane arm, but his eyes are always down field, he seems to be good at looking off defenders, and reading coverages because his decision making looks to be improving. His ball placement is also superb. He knows how to put the perfect touch on his passes. As long as he isn't stupidly lazy/tarded I think he should be the front runner for the Bills starting QB in 2011.

gpngc
09-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Not trying to stir the Locker-hate pot, but just out of curiosity - what weapons did A-Rod have at Cal when he went like 24-26 against an insane USC defense? Lynch? Craig Stevens? I'm pretty sure DeSean wasn't there yet...

And another question - who was it that told McShay that he was completely wrong saying Locker would be taken #1 last year?

These are just questions.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Not trying to stir the Locker-hate pot, but just out of curiosity - what weapons did A-Rod have at Cal when he went like 24-26 against an insane USC defense? Lynch? Craig Stevens? I'm pretty sure DeSean wasn't there yet...

He had Arrington, Lynch, Forsett, Stevens, Geoff McArthur, and a very good offensive line featuring O'Callaghan at left tackle.

He had a lot.

Ozzy
09-21-2010, 11:53 PM
People are saying oh it is just one bad game. No the reason people are getting off the Locker band wagon and fast is because Nebraska is a pro style defense with professional talent on their defense.

Different coverages and blitz packages, good cover men all around, talented pass rushers and fast linebackers.

Locker being so frozen and unable to do anything legit against that defense does tell a lot. Still fact is, his mechanics are just off, he looks so stiff out their and he does not rotate when he throws the ball at all. He almost plays in a box and has very little fluid motion in his throw. And worst of all, if a player is not wide open, he cannot really make the pass.

Yes he has little talent around him, but did Matt Ryan? Ryan had a better offensive line but Kevin Challenger, Brandon Robinson and Rich Gunnell as receivers? Those are some big time receivers? No, but Matt Ryan made them big time and the lack of having great receivers to throw to did not hurt him one bit in college, he made the players around him better.

Jake Locker at this point simply does not do that, and do not say Ryan didn't make his teammates better against top competition in big games, some of his best games that senior season was against the best competition.

So far Jake Locker clearly cannot say that. A 6-9 record as a starting quarterback so far over this year and last, extremely unimpressive.

Sniper
09-22-2010, 09:51 AM
So far Jake Locker clearly cannot say that. A 6-9 record as a starting quarterback so far over this year and last, extremely unimpressive.

BUT HE CAN THROW THE BALL A ZILLION YARDS IN THE AIR AND RUN A 4.3 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greatest prospect ever...ever...in the history of ever. We just have to overlook little details like "completed 20 percent of his passes" and "couldn't lead the comeback against BYU" and things of that nature.

Ozzy
09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
BUT HE CAN THROW THE BALL A ZILLION YARDS IN THE AIR AND RUN A 4.3 40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greatest prospect ever...ever...in the history of ever. We just have to overlook little details like "completed 20 percent of his passes" and "couldn't lead the comeback against BYU" and things of that nature.Hahaha Right, completely agree, best prospect in the history of the earth maybe.

Babylon
09-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Greatest prospect ever...ever...in the history of ever. We just have to overlook little details like "completed 20 percent of his passes" and "couldn't lead the comeback against BYU" and things of that nature.

More like 70 yards and runs about a low 4.5, wouldnt want to exaggerate now would we?

wonderbredd24
09-22-2010, 11:09 AM
We probably should overlook the number of games where Mallett was in the 30's and 40's in completion percentage while at the same time calling him accurate and blaming it all on the receivers' hands.

Sniper
09-22-2010, 11:10 AM
We probably should overlook the number of games where Mallett was in the 30's and 40's in completion percentage while at the same time calling him accurate and blaming it all on the receivers' hands.

Mallett never hit 20.

ElectricEye
09-22-2010, 11:12 AM
He also has/had better receivers, the best pass catching tight end in the country and is playing for Bobby Petrino. Go figure.

Ozzy
09-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Quickly said again, Jay Cutler had very little talent around him at Vandy, very little and he was still ridiculously productive and game changing in the very difficult SEC conference.

So again never say it is the receivers, even though that is part of it, still reality is clearly Cutler did not have great receivers but he still made plays with his arm and with his leg. Sadly even he has struggles in the NFL and he has a much better arm than Locker has and a much quicker release.

Fact is, do something and prove something in college with ones performance, Locker has yet to do that in my opinion along with many others.

Babylon
09-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Mallett never hit 20.

Not to hijack this wonderful thread but why did Mallett actually leave Michigan? It seems pretty amazing that the potential #1 pick would transfer and it wouldnt be a bigger issue.

Sniper
09-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Not to hijack this wonderful thread but why did Mallett actually leave Michigan? It seems pretty amazing that the potential #1 pick would transfer and it wouldnt be a bigger issue.

Mallett in the zone-read would have been ugly.

wonderbredd24
09-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Mallett never hit 20.

Nope, 34, 44, 35, 43, and 41, but never 20.

I wonder which one is more likely to be a trend.

Babylon
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Mallett in the zone-read would have been ugly.

Can't argue with that. I guess it's probably similar to Troy Aikman trying to run the wishbone at Oklahoma. Coaches arent changing their style for players, obviously.

Babylon
09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Quickly said again, Jay Cutler had very little talent around him at Vandy, very little and he was still ridiculously productive and game changing in the very difficult SEC conference.

So again never say it is the receivers, even though that is part of it, still reality is clearly Cutler did not have great receivers but he still made plays with his arm and with his leg. Sadly even he has struggles in the NFL and he has a much better arm than Locker has and a much quicker release.

Fact is, do something and prove something in college with ones performance, Locker has yet to do that in my opinion along with many others.

Matt Ryan had better weapons than Locker and threw 29 ints in his last two years at BC, it isnt like sitting back there for Bama and having time eat a sandwich while deciding on who to throw it to.

wonderbredd24
09-22-2010, 11:25 AM

2 of Cutler's teammates from that Vanderbilt offense are also on his team with the Bears.

I will be shocked if anyone from that Husky offense is playing in the NFL

yourfavestoner
09-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm interested to see how Mallett does against 'Bama, because he was absolutely terrible against them last year. We'll have a better feel for him after that.

Miaoww
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Cutler struggles in the NFL because he trusts his arm too much. No window is too small, or so he feels.

P-L
09-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Jay Cutler had an elite left tackle protecting him who ended up going #12 in the NFL Draft and was throwing to an excellent college receiver who was drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft. If Cutler had "very little" talent around him then I cannot imagine what you think Jake Locker has in terms of supporting cast.

ThePudge
09-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Jay Cutler had an elite left tackle protecting him who ended up going #12 in the NFL Draft and was throwing to an excellent college receiver who was drafted in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft. If Cutler had "very little" talent around him then I cannot imagine what you think Jake Locker has in terms of supporting cast.

Chris Williams was a first year starter on the Vanderbilt OL for Jay Cutler's last year. By no means was he one of the SEC's best Tackles at that time. He was still learning the game & bouncing around from position to position. Williams' breakout came a year later with Chris Nickson playing Quarterback. Earl Bennett was a true Freshman when Cutler had his services; Cutler made Bennett productive, not really vice-versa. Bennett's best years came after Jay.

When are we going to drop this argument? Cutler made the players around him better.

Ozzy
09-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Chris Williams was a first year starter on the Vanderbilt OL for Jay Cutler's last year. By no means was he one of the SEC's best Tackles at that time. He was still learning the game & bouncing around from position to position. Williams' breakout came a year later with Chris Nickson playing Quarterback. Earl Bennett was a true Freshman when Cutler had his services; Cutler made Bennett productive, not really vice-versa. Bennett's best years came after Jay.

When are we going to drop this argument? Cutler made the players around him better.Thank you, well said. I knew my memory was not that bad ;o)

Still reality is Cutler is even suspect at times as a professional, so how is Locker who is no where close to being that productive in college in big games will do that all of a sudden in the NFL?

Take Drew Bees in college, the kid was a gamer, he was a freaking baller, played big in big games. Made his teammates better, was the leader of the football team, was motivation and inspirational much less super competitive and into every game he played.

Can any of those things be said about Locker? No, it is not so much his statistics as it is he apparent lack of any motivational, leadership or competitive skills displayed. Thus if he cannot do it in college how in the hell can he all of a sudden do it in the NFL? Sure pull a Aaron Rodgers, what are the chances a team has that situation? Well more likely now that Locker will drop to the later 20-30 range potentially in the draft if he keeps this up. See how the season ends but so far, no so good for Locker.

Ever since he was a freshman he has been a developmental project at quarterback, and sadly, possibly come the end of his senior year he is still a developmental project at the next level? Still waiting for that senior jump in leadership and advancement in his skills overall as a quarterback.

Babylon
09-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Thank you, well said. I knew my memory was not that bad ;o)

Still reality is Cutler is even suspect at times as a professional, so how is Locker who is no where close to being that productive in college in big games will do that all of a sudden in the NFL?

Take Drew Bees in college, the kid was a gamer, he was a freaking baller, played big in big games. Made his teammates better, was the leader of the football team, was motivation and inspirational much less super competitive and into every game he played.

Can any of those things be said about Locker? No, it is not so much his statistics as it is he apparent lack of any motivational, leadership or competitive skills displayed. Thus if he cannot do it in college how in the hell can he all of a sudden do it in the NFL? Sure pull a Aaron Rodgers, what are the chances a team has that situation? Well more likely now that Locker will drop to the later 20-30 range potentially in the draft if he keeps this up. See how the season ends but so far, no so good for Locker.

Ever since he was a freshman he has been a developmental project at quarterback, and sadly, possibly come the end of his senior year he is still a developmental project at the next level? Still waiting for that senior jump in leadership and advancement in his skills overall as a quarterback.

Are you ####ing kidding me? You are going to try to convince anyone that Jake Locker isnt competitive or a leader, he's almost literally carried this team on his back and he has the scars to prove it. Knock him for his production or his reads but to question his intangibles, come on. The guy came back to school for his love of this team.

wonderbredd24
09-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Arguments against anyone's leadership based on nothing but you watching (if you watched) from your TV is so ridiculous because you're basing it on absolutely nothing other than what you attribute to him.

TACKLE
09-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Can any of those things be said about Locker? No, it is not so much his statistics as it is he apparent lack of any motivational, leadership or competitive skills displayed.

Reading this leads me to believe that the Nebraska game was the first time you actually sat down and actually watched Locker play.

Ozzy
09-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Are you ####ing kidding me? You are going to try to convince anyone that Jake Locker isnt competitive or a leader, he's almost literally carried this team on his back and he has the scars to prove it. Knock him for his production or his reads but to question his intangibles, come on. The guy came back to school for his love of this team.That may be, and you can have your opinion.

However fact is, take Drew Brees which was my original example. He played at the top of his game against top flight competition, he had some of his best games against arguably two of the top 25 most talented defensive units in college football over the past decade. Those being the 1998 Ohio State and Kansas State defensive units. And he played great against those teams, showed determination, will, and was a clear vocal leader of the team and anyone can see that, even if only watching in on television.

Yes Jake Locker has carried his team on his back at times, sadly for him and his team, he is not carrying them very far.

And that is my point, he better do something and show some ability in big games, in pressure situations against top flight defenses.

ThePudge
09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I like Locker a little more than you, for example I wouldn't call him a developmental prospect. His ability goes past tangible physical talent such as arm strength, running ability/athleticism, body type, etc.

He does a lot of things very well for a Quarterback. As a whole, he's pretty good looking off his receivers, scanning the field, and finding the open receiver. He's much further along in a pro-style offense than most QB prospects that have the ability to make plays with their feet. As far as reading defenses goes (both pre-snap/during the play) he's worlds ahead of where Tim Tebow was a year ago (though still raw.) His throwing mechanics have been greatly improved under Steve Sarkisian; he has a quick, compact, overhead delivery & doesn't let the ball dip below his waist. He has rare escapability from the pocket and has been well-coached in this area; he feels the rush, avoids it, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws extremely well on the move.

When he steps into his passes, he shows the zip to throw a perfect deep-out route in the NFL. At times he flashes elite deep accuracy as well. It seems as if he has a slight tendency to throw off his back foot, but that's just an occasional habit (I'm not really referring to when he's under pressure either.) His release is very quick though, he has a great understanding of where his teammates should be, and typically is very good at protecting the ball. I'm not going to really question his leadership or his heart, last year's rally against USC was an exceptional display of both regardless of how the Trojans finished the season.

What I really need to see from Locker is verification against the nation's good defenses and also I'd like to see him win games for his team. That BYU loss could have prevented by one second half Td, that's where an elite Quarterback should be able to turn a close game into a win. The Cougars certainly don't have Andrew Luck/Ryan Mallett under-center, nor do they have one of the nation's top DL/DB combo (see: Nebraska.) There's no reason such a gifted dual-threat QB should lose that game, but Locker did. Blame what you'd like on his supporting cast, 0 points in the second half has to be attributed to the Quarterback to a large degree.. he controls the game under-center, a couple of the right decisions could have won the Huskies the game. Perhaps it's harsh, but I don't like seeing an elite QB so willing to lose.

It's not the end of the season & evaluations are far from final; however, right now I'd have a hard time taking Locker Top 5. He's got tremendous upside and has already shown a surprising amount of polish (in 2009) but he needs to prove he can keep his team competitive.

I'm not asking him to beat Oregon or USC, but please Jake, can you pull one out over a fringe-bowl team like Oregon State, Arizona State, or UCLA? Can you lead your team to victory when you're the underdog? Can he carry the weight of the Huskies on his shoulders? Or is he going to play in a shell, leave opportunities on the table, and finish his Senior season with a 3-9/2-11 record? Locker is a rare exception perhaps, but can someone tell me a QB that lost games in college & went on to have a franchise-saving effect on his team? With the financial state of the NFL, how can a perennial loser such as Buffalo or Cleveland invest millions in guaranteed money on a guy that couldn't handle the pressure of lesser talent in college?

I'm thinking by the end of the season we'll still have more questions about Jake Locker than Ryan Mallett/Andrew Luck. I think he'll still be the guy with the most to prove, and for better or for worse I think he's more destined for the 8-12 range by April (assuming Luck/Mallett declare.)

Ozzy
09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Reading this leads me to believe that the Nebraska game was the first time you actually sat down and actually watched Locker play.Sorry, only been watching him since his freshman year at least 2-3 times a season.

San Diego Chicken
09-22-2010, 02:19 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2012952599_very_interesting_stuff_from_fo.html

A breakdown, with some positive spin, on Locker's game against NU. Also key is that Locker is missing his most reliable reciever, James Johnson, right now to an ankle injury.

It was a nightmarish game, but there are a few positives. Locker did rush for 59 yards. He also lead touchdown drives of 78 and 80 yards. It would have been that much worse had he put up a goose egg, but they did score 21 points. I think he'll bounce back from this, he is too good not to.

JoeJoeBrown
09-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Have you even seen any of these guys play? Under duress Locker makes plays with his feet, that's one of his strengths. Luck is a big guy with good arm strength and he has shown the ability to scramble as well. And I don't even know what "Mallett is Mallett" means.

Yes, I have. Not enough to be an expert. I'm no NFL draft guru, nor do I claim to be one.

Mallet is Mallet means that I think he's a giant doofus. He's big, strong, and slow. He doesn't have great accuracy.

Luck is indeed a big guy, with decent arm strength. Also, he sounds like he's a smart guy. I think he has the best chance to succeed in the NFL. I just don't think he is elite. Not someone I would take in the top 10.

Locker is a great athlete, but not a great QB. It's not like the WRs are dropping all of these incompletions. He lacks accuracy. He lacks awareness. In the NFL he's not going to have a long time to throw. So how he performs iwth a crappy OL would seem to translate to having to make quick throws in the NFL under duress.

I get it, people are in love with his athleticism. I don't think he'd perform any better than Pryor if they switched teams right now. And I don't think Pryor is anywhere close to primetime (maybe never).

TACKLE
09-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Sorry, only been watching him since his freshman year at least 2-3 times a season.

Hmmm....

If that's the case, you should know better than to say that Locker is not a gamer, who isn't competitive and doesn't make the players around him better.

Ozzy
09-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Hmmm....

If that's the case, you should know better than to say that Locker is not a gamer, who isn't competitive and doesn't make the players around him better.Depends on ones definition of a gamer, I call a gamer someone who wins games and competes, not just shows up.

And yes probably being a little hard on the guy, he is ok, and will still be a 1st round draft pick, not as high though. But hard not to be disappointed in the kid after having such high expectations, fact is no one would say, yeah he played amazing against Nebraska and showed so much potential.

Just me being personally disappointed in his lack of development, as with any talented prospect, but if one has low expectations for that kid and that program than yeah he is right along schedule.

ThePudge
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not trying to be that guy, but I just used half my class on this Locker write-up & I didn't want it getting lost right away. Ozzy has a bit more of a dramatic stance toward Locker's game/college career and I wanted to show that there is a middle ground between an elite QB prospect and a very good one.

I like Locker a little more than you [Ozzy], for example I wouldn't call him a developmental prospect. His ability goes past tangible physical talent such as arm strength, running ability/athleticism, body type, etc.

He does a lot of things very well for a Quarterback. As a whole, he's pretty good looking off his receivers, scanning the field, and finding the open receiver. He's much further along in a pro-style offense than most QB prospects that have the ability to make plays with their feet. As far as reading defenses goes (both pre-snap/during the play) he's worlds ahead of where Tim Tebow was a year ago (though still raw.) His throwing mechanics have been greatly improved under Steve Sarkisian; he has a quick, compact, overhead delivery & doesn't let the ball dip below his waist. He has rare escapability from the pocket and has been well-coached in this area; he feels the rush, avoids it, keeps his eyes downfield, and throws extremely well on the move.

When he steps into his passes, he shows the zip to throw a perfect deep-out route in the NFL. At times he flashes elite deep accuracy as well. It seems as if he has a slight tendency to throw off his back foot, but that's just an occasional habit (I'm not really referring to when he's under pressure either.) His release is very quick though, he has a great understanding of where his teammates should be, and [I]typically is very good at protecting the ball. I'm not going to really question his leadership or his heart, last year's rally against USC was an exceptional display of both regardless of how the Trojans finished the season.

What I really need to see from Locker is verification against the nation's good defenses and also I'd like to see him win games for his team. That BYU loss could have prevented by one second half Td, that's where an elite Quarterback should be able to turn a close game into a win. The Cougars certainly don't have Andrew Luck/Ryan Mallett under-center, nor do they have one of the nation's top DL/DB combo (see: Nebraska.) There's no reason such a gifted dual-threat QB should lose that game, but Locker did. Blame what you'd like on his supporting cast, 0 points in the second half has to be attributed to the Quarterback to a large degree.. he controls the game under-center, a couple of the right decisions could have won the Huskies the game. Perhaps it's harsh, but I don't like seeing an elite QB so willing to lose.

It's not the end of the season & evaluations are far from final; however, right now I'd have a hard time taking Locker Top 5. He's got tremendous upside and has already shown a surprising amount of polish (in 2009) but he needs to prove he can keep his team competitive.

I'm not asking him to beat Oregon or USC, but please Jake, can you pull one out over a fringe-bowl team like Oregon State, Arizona State, or UCLA? Can you lead your team to victory when you're the underdog? Can he carry the weight of the Huskies on his shoulders? Or is he going to play in a shell, leave opportunities on the table, and finish his Senior season with a 3-9/2-11 record? Locker is a rare exception perhaps, but can someone tell me a QB that lost games in college & went on to have a franchise-saving effect on his team? With the financial state of the NFL, how can a perennial loser such as Buffalo or Cleveland invest millions in guaranteed money on a guy that couldn't handle the pressure of lesser talent in college?

I'm thinking by the end of the season we'll still have more questions about Jake Locker than Ryan Mallett/Andrew Luck. I think he'll still be the guy with the most to prove, and for better or for worse I think he's more destined for the 8-12 range by April (assuming Luck/Mallett declare.)

Babylon
09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes, I have. Not enough to be an expert. I'm no NFL draft guru, nor do I claim to be one.

Mallet is Mallet means that I think he's a giant doofus. He's big, strong, and slow. He doesn't have great accuracy.

Luck is indeed a big guy, with decent arm strength. Also, he sounds like he's a smart guy. I think he has the best chance to succeed in the NFL. I just don't think he is elite. Not someone I would take in the top 10.

Locker is a great athlete, but not a great QB. It's not like the WRs are dropping all of these incompletions. He lacks accuracy. He lacks awareness. In the NFL he's not going to have a long time to throw. So how he performs iwth a crappy OL would seem to translate to having to make quick throws in the NFL under duress.

I get it, people are in love with his athleticism. I don't think he'd perform any better than Pryor if they switched teams right now. And I don't think Pryor is anywhere close to primetime (maybe never).

Locker's receivers dropped an average of 4 passes a game last year and Kearse dropped 3 himself against BYU.

As for someone saying they miss their most reliable receiver James Johnson who has been hurt, yeah they miss him but he's hardly reliable and probably the 3rd or 4th best on the team at that position.

ThePudge
09-22-2010, 02:53 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskyfootballblog/2012952599_very_interesting_stuff_from_fo.html

A breakdown, with some positive spin, on Locker's game against NU. Also key is that Locker is missing his most reliable reciever, James Johnson, right now to an ankle injury.

It was a nightmarish game, but there are a few positives. Locker did rush for 59 yards. He also lead touchdown drives of 78 and 80 yards. It would have been that much worse had he put up a goose egg, but they did score 21 points. I think he'll bounce back from this, he is too good not to.

Yea I think one of Ryan Mallett's incompletions on Saturday cured a little girl's cancer. One of his overthrows stopped an impostor on the sidelines that was stealing equipment. When it looked like his footwork wasn't great this past week it was because it's earth-worm mating season in Georgia and Mallett wanted to be considerate.....

Locker completed 4 passes. He hurt his team on Saturday. We don't have to dig for positives in a game in which he threw 20% for 71 yards.

I wonder what Scott/Shane/this board's commentary would have been had it been Ryan Mallett that completely flopped against UGA. (For example: 40-50% less than 150 yards 1+ Interception, and a loss) I'm willing to bet not as many people here would be making excuses for him nor would there be many digging for positives.

This week's Alabama game should be able to help us compare the two playing against elite defenses. My bet, Mallett throws more than 4 completions & doesn't lose by 20+.

JoeJoeBrown
09-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Locker's receivers dropped an average of 4 passes a game last year and Kearse dropped 3 himself against BYU.

As for someone saying they miss their most reliable receiver James Johnson who has been hurt, yeah they miss him but he's hardly reliable and probably the 3rd or 4th best on the team at that position.

Good stats. Any idea what the average is for a college football team?

ElectricEye
10-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Bump since the other thread was locked. Locker was dominant at times last night. Really showed off the entire toolshed. He also delivered when it mattered most with those two touchdown tosses to Kearse, who really stepped up last night after having massive issues with drops all year.

wonderbredd24
10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Is Mallett's backup also better than Locker or is he better than Mallett too?

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Is Mallett's backup also better than Locker or is he better than Mallett too?

I'm struggling to find this post's relevance. Mallett's backup comes in and plays well for two quarters then blows the game, now are we supposed to assume anyone can play QB for Arkansas? Auburn's secondary is trash, I hope you're aware. Wilson made some tough passes yesterday & looked great in the third quarter; I don't see why that has to have any correlation to Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker.

wonderbredd24
10-17-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm struggling to find this post's relevance. Mallett's backup comes in and plays well for two quarters then blows the game, now are we supposed to assume anyone can play QB for Arkansas? Auburn's secondary is trash, I hope you're aware. Wilson made some tough passes yesterday & looked great in the third quarter; I don't see why that has to have any correlation to Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker.
This was more of a joke than anything, but...

Here's what I know... the wide open passes Mallett sees were there for his backup and his backup hit them too. Is he better than Mallett? I don't know. I don't think it helps Mallett's stock any that the backup came in and looked that good before blowing it at the end though. I think it did give more credibility to the argument that Petrino's offense can make anyone look good.

Auburn's defense is ****; not just the secondary. Mallett started out 0/4 and then mostly hit check downs before the concussion.

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
This was more of a joke than anything, but...

Here's what I know... the wide open passes Mallett sees were there for his backup and his backup hit them too. Is he better than Mallett? I don't know. I don't think it helps Mallett's stock any that the backup came in and looked that good before blowing it at the end though. I think it did give more credibility to the argument that Petrino's offense can make anyone look good.

Auburn's defense is ****; not just the secondary. Mallett started out 0/4 and then mostly hit check downs before the concussion.

I really can't make any judgments about Mallett's day yesterday. He did fine, threw a ball over a receiver's head out-of-bounds, had two of those first four passes dropped and mostly looked to the screen pass early. I don't think we can really take all too much from his ten (est.) passes yesterday. Wilson hit some covered targets as well. As far as I know they run plenty of 10-15 yard slants, skinny posts, & go-routes in the NFL as well. Greg Childs is really emerging as a fantastic player with terrific body positioning, good concentration, and the ability to get yards after the catch.

I'm not sure why it's necessarily a negative for either of those passers to hit open receivers. They're just doing their jobs in finding the open receivers, making the right reads. It's not like it's a shotgun heavy spread-system with 5 WR sets. I've seen NFL QBs hit & miss wide open receivers too. Likewise I've seen Jake Locker throw ****** balls intended for open receivers and I'd venture to say (though UW has much less talent at the skill positions) that Sark's offense is looking more gimmicky than Petrino's. I've seen more and more shotgun formations for Locker this season; however, admittedly, I really haven't been able to watch the Huskies as much as I'd like to (east coast + Saturday nights at college.)

steelersfan43
10-17-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm not asking him to beat Oregon or USC, but please Jake, can you pull one out over a fringe-bowl team like Oregon State, Arizona State, or UCLA?

Lol he beat usc and oregon st...

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 07:08 PM
Lol he beat usc and oregon st...

Why don't you go ahead and check the date of that post you quoted.

wonderbredd24
10-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Why don't you go ahead and check the date of that post you quoted.
Does the date matter? He did lead his team to victories against both of those teams.

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Does the date matter? He did lead his team to victories against both of those teams.

???? Yes, the date absolutely matters. Before he won you could make the statement that he should win some games to further prove himself, obviously now that he has won you can't make that statement.

Why would I say he needs to pull out wins against teams he already has beaten?

wonderbredd24
10-17-2010, 07:34 PM
???? Yes, the date absolutely matters. Before he won you could make the statement that he should win some games to further prove himself, obviously now that he has won you can't make that statement.

That's not what I'm saying... I'm not criticizing you. I am asking you, since he has beaten those teams, does this change your opinion of him at all or anything?

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 07:52 PM
That's not what I'm saying... I'm not criticizing you. I am asking you, since he has beaten those teams, does this change your opinion of him at all or anything?

Sure. I don't necessarily think he's a big game player, but it was nice to see him beat two ranked teams in two weeks. That's two more ranked teams than Jimmy Clausen beat in his entire Notre Dame tenure. As I've said before though, I need to see more film on Locker. Living in Philadelphia/Ohio I get a great amount of Big Ten/ACC/SEC & even Big XII games (Can't say I watch much Big East football) but usually I'm out by the time PAC-10 games air. I haven't broken down enough film on Jake Locker to be overly confident in my evaluation quite yet... not to worry though, I've got ESPNU, I've got DVR, and I've got six months.

wonderbredd24
10-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Sure. I don't necessarily think he's a big game player, but it was nice to see him beat two ranked teams in two weeks. That's two more ranked teams than Jimmy Clausen beat in his entire Notre Dame tenure. As I've said before though, I need to see more film on Locker. Living in Philadelphia/Ohio I get a great amount of Big Ten/ACC/SEC & even Big XII games (Can't say I watch much Big East football) but usually I'm out by the time PAC-10 games air. I haven't broken down enough film on Jake Locker to be overly confident in my evaluation quite yet... not to worry though, I've got ESPNU, I've got DVR, and I've got six months.
ESPN3 carries games for quite awhile

ThePudge
10-17-2010, 08:04 PM

That's awesome. I started fooling around with ESPN3 yesterday, got to watch the FSU-BC game then the MTU-GT game. I didn't know it was possible to replay games though, very excited about that.

Off topic, but MTU's Dwight Dasher (QB) is a guy I've watched a couple times. When looking for the next Julian Edelman, Brad Smith, or Josh Cribbs you've got to think out of the box. Dasher is an intriguing RB/slot WR/KR/PR/Widcat prospect that will likely be on the board late. Very fast, elusive, with good vision/instincts as a runner. Just keep that name in the very back of your head.

steelersfan43
10-21-2010, 11:00 PM

...... I Was just saying that he did what you asked for. I knew the post was before those games....

Babylon
10-22-2010, 11:21 AM

My wife says if i watch another UW replay she's leaving me. What was that site again?