PDA

View Full Version : Evan Royster's Draft Stock Plummeting?

underscore
09-18-2010, 06:43 PM
He's averaging 3.5 ypc this year through three games and got benched today.

He was probably a 2nd day pick anyway, but I'm starting to lean more towards UDFA.

Sniper
09-18-2010, 06:43 PM
He's SO slow.

Morton
09-18-2010, 08:26 PM
For it to plummet, it would have to have been high to begin with!

Royster is a mediocre college back whose only hope to play in the NFL is as a backup, at best.

And I'm a Penn State fan too.

BeerBaron
09-18-2010, 08:52 PM
I thought before the season he was likely to be a well rounded, 3rd round pick at best. But yeah, he's done nothing to help himself this year. Doubtful he even gets drafted.

Go_Eagles77
09-18-2010, 08:57 PM
He's not half the prospect Tony Hunt was coming out, and that's pretty bad.

zachsaints52
09-18-2010, 09:17 PM
He's not half the prospect Tony Hunt was coming out, and that's pretty bad.

Because if he is half the prospect, it equals out to double the pick where he was taken. So double 3rd so he is considered a 6th rounder. Divide by the square orbital of cube and you get.....

He plummeted from a 6th to a 7th.

Grizzlegom
09-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I've been saying for a long time that he isn't the 'power back' all the experts are claiming he is. I still think he'll get drafted if he can muster up any kind of a season in the second half (that is, if our offensive line continues coming together like they appear to finally be) but I never bought the best senior RB hype he was receiving and I'm a Penn State fan. Probably my least favorite starting RB we've had this decade, I even liked Austin Scott more...

dannyz
09-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Depending on what RB's Declare this year he could fall down hard. Williams,Ingram,Thomas and maybe a few guys like James,Lewis,Rodgers will make him fall.

Day One Pick
09-19-2010, 05:27 AM
He still has a chance to be a first round draft pick...in the UFL.

Brent
09-19-2010, 08:13 AM
I wasn't aware he was even starting.

Nalej
09-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Yea, he is slow. I went to the game yesterday and he just couldn't get any seperation.Tackled at the LOS it looked like, about every time like he couldn't find the hole
The other back (#21) was lighting it up though. From my seats, he looked smaller but faster with a lot of wiggle.

steelcrew43
09-22-2010, 05:49 PM
royste r= antonio pittman?

JoeJoeBrown
09-22-2010, 11:38 PM
royste r= antonio pittman?

Not even close. Pittman was above average in speed, but smallish. Wasn't quick enough for his size/power combo.

Royster moves like he's running in sand. I'm wondering if his legs have already given out. I remember him being kinda slow, but not this bad. Some people get used up early. Kinda sad.

DeathbyStat
09-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah all depends on his forty time, which i feel is 4.6 or worse

brat316
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
He'll put up numbers against Temple Saturday. That is in the 4th quarter when the 3 string is in.

steelcrew43
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Not even close. Pittman was above average in speed, but smallish. Wasn't quick enough for his size/power combo.

Royster moves like he's running in sand. I'm wondering if his legs have already given out. I remember him being kinda slow, but not this bad. Some people get used up early. Kinda sad.

i meant purely talent level, no physical comparison

mellojello
09-24-2010, 03:46 PM
I remember Thumper trying to educate me why Royster was a better NFL draft prospect than Jahvid Best because Royster could "carry the load."

Shane P. Hallam
09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Royster's stock may start hitting non-existent territory soon...

SenorGato
09-24-2010, 10:28 PM
He's really never been all that good of a prospect...he's Mike Hart-esque back. Solid college runner...noooothing at the NFL level.

BeerBaron
09-24-2010, 10:29 PM
He's really never been all that good of a prospect...Mike Hart-esque.

<Dives under desk, pokes out to look for Sniper>

SenorGato
09-24-2010, 10:37 PM

Mediocre NFL size...mediocre NFL build...mediocre NFL speed...mediocre NFL moves...Penn State RB syndrome...

FUNBUNCHER
09-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Royster has all the tools necessary to be a productive NFL RB, except for quickness/speed/power.

Otherwise he's a stud.

Back to reality, he's an UDFA.

Sniper
09-25-2010, 08:33 AM

Hart was never a good pro prospect. As a college player, though, <3.

Giantsfan1080
09-25-2010, 09:29 AM
I remember people here used to argue that Hart is a better NFL prospect than Rice. Yeah that worked out well.

underscore
09-26-2010, 06:21 AM
He had a good game yesterday vs. Temple, at least on paper. 26-187.

What that doesn't show is only 9 carries went for 5+ yards, and 4 of those game late in the game with the Temple defense running on fumes.

Unbiased
09-26-2010, 08:08 AM
He had a good game yesterday vs. Temple, at least on paper. 26-187.

What that doesn't show is only 9 carries went for 5+ yards, and 4 of those game late in the game with the Temple defense running on fumes.

I'm not defending Royster in regards to the main idea of the thread, but did Royster only play in the second half or something? Why wouldn't he be tired just like the Temple defense?

steelc1ty
09-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Full disclosure...

PSU fan & grad. Before this season I thought Royster was a 4-5 rd rb who had a very nice overall skill set, but (as mentioned numerous times) was below average in the speed department. IMO, he reminds me a lot of Mewelde Moore who was a 4th rounder a couple years ago.

And that is a bit of stat's not telling the whole story. Royster has, and will always be, a guy that needs his O line to make creases to allow him to pick his way through trash (something I think he excels at). For the first time this season PSU's O line was playing as a unit and those creases were there all game long.

You can certainly point to the lack of big runs (and be correct), but that ignores the body of his work where quite literally he was good for "4 yards and a cloud of dust" no matter the situation.

In the end, so long as he runs ~4.6 40, I still see him being a draftable RB.

brat316
09-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Come on Temple's run defense blows. They couldn't even get into the endzone all game until the very end. If he really was that good, all those yards would have game him a 2 TD at least.

Day One Pick
09-26-2010, 10:21 AM
He must have read this thread prior to yesterdays game.

Morton
09-26-2010, 10:24 AM
The true test will be next week @ Iowa. Let's see if he can hit > 4.0 ypc against Iowa's defensive line.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-27-2010, 12:40 PM
The true test will be next week @ Iowa. Let's see if he can hit > 4.0 ypc against Iowa's defensive line.

Watching how his line got demolished against Bama that aint happening. Now Iím not a huge Royster fan and do believe that heís a mid round pick but itís not really fair to grade him this year especially against a top tier defense like Iowa. His O-line stinks, and heís playing with a Freshman QB who canít go deep and has inexperienced wideouts. It also hurts because Royster isnít a freak athlete and doesnít have superior speed. Heís the kind of guy whoís effective by being patient and letting plays develop. He simply isnít being afforded that opportunity this year. I think Royster can be a solid 3rd down back in the NFL. He does have really good hands and reads blockers well. Could carve out a ďKevin FaulkĒ type niche in the NFL. In todayís game anyways itís not about finding a workhorse starting RB unless you have a top 20 pick. Itís about finding guys who can play a role on your team and Royster seems like a guy who can fit in a number of systems as a complementary back.

bruschis4all
09-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Watching how his line got demolished against Bama that aint happening. Now Iím not a huge Royster fan and do believe that heís a mid round pick but itís not really fair to grade him this year especially against a top tier defense like Iowa. His O-line stinks, and heís playing with a Freshman QB who canít go deep and has inexperienced wideouts. It also hurts because Royster isnít a freak athlete and doesnít have superior speed. Heís the kind of guy whoís effective by being patient and letting plays develop. He simply isnít being afforded that opportunity this year. I think Royster can be a solid 3rd down back in the NFL. He does have really good hands and reads blockers well. Could carve out a ďKevin FaulkĒ type niche in the NFL. In todayís game anyways itís not about finding a workhorse starting RB unless you have a top 20 pick. Itís about finding guys who can play a role on your team and Royster seems like a guy who can fit in a number of systems as a complementary back.

Was at the game Saturday. Had end-zone seats. So, saw his runs from that angle. He made some nice cut backs to get into the 2nd level. The line can't block that's true. Supposedly, he came in about 220 and staff wants him at 212 which is his weight now. PSU's wideouts are actually pretty good. D.Moye is a good, deep threat. G.Zug and B.Brackett are decent slot receivers. I'd like to see more of Justin Brown a soph. I think the staff is afraid to cut Bolden loose. Usually, takes them 2-3 yrs before they give a qb a complete playbook. I doubt if Royster develops into an nfl back. He is a tad slow. He can catch the ball, and that could be his saving grace.

underscore
09-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Actually, Penn State's QB throws a nice deep ball and has experienced wideouts, plus a very talented soph WR who now seems to be the #2 guy behind Moye.