PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Draft Thread

HawkEye30
09-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Let's discuss. First of all lets go through our needs.

- Quarterback of the future ( aka. Jake Locker)
- A legit pass rusher ( Quinn or Romeus)
- We can use another running back
- The o line, a guard, maybe a new center
- And we could probably use another corner ( there are a lot of good/tall corners in this draft)
- I wouldnt rule out a tall wide receiver either, but we seem pretty set for now. But that can change depending on mike williams.

summond822
09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
I think we need to address our offense and our pass rush. That said, the areas where I think we need to address are:

1) QB
2) Pass rusher (DE/OLB I don't care as long as they fill the LEO spot)
3) Playmaker on offense WR/RB doesn't matter
4) Another pass rusher
5) CB

We will need either a new C or G in the next couple of years, but it doesn't have to be too high of a draft pick.

HawkEye30
09-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Well we pretty much agree on positions, so now who are specific players you guys would want to get?

Caulibflower
09-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Let's be conservative and say we land in the top 3rd-to-Middle of the first round. Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett are gone. Andrew Luck may or may not declare. If Luck is there, I think I'd be OK with him. I really, really like Mark Ingram, and I think middle of the first is a great place to take him. He'd be a terrific fit in our offense. I'm kind of liking the potential of our receiving corps right now, but this is going to be a fantastic class for wide receivers - if Jonathan Baldwin or Julio Jones is on the board when we pick (Assuming Green in gone) it'd be hard to pass after passing on Crabtree two years before. We need a big wideout. I'm crossing my fingers on Mike Williams big time, but it wouldn't hurt to add another if there isn't a QB available that has the "franchise" feel to him. And, of course, Pete Carroll is going to continue to look for guys to play his 3-4, and at this point we'd be looking at DE's and pass rushers. Adrian Clayborn, Cameron Heyward, and Allen Bailey are all huge, highly rated DE's who could probably play end in a 3-4. If Robert Quinn comes out, I'm sure Carroll would take some serious looks at him as well for that LEO spot.

In the second round, we'll obviously still have needs wherever we didn't just draft a guy. We really need a big power back, and if Mikel LeShoure from Illinois comes out he could be a possibility in round two. He reminds me of Shonn Greene a little bit. Round two might be high for Daniel Thomas.

It's a bit early to try and predict round-by-round, of course, but we could also use a return man such as Jerrel Jernigan. Another guy I like in the middle rounds (unless he's playing baseball full-time) is Matt Szczur.

Babylon
09-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Depending on where they pick i'd probably rank them:

1st;
Locker
Luck
Petersen
Quinn

2nd;
Baldwin
Kerrigan
Herzlich
DeCastro

summond822
09-24-2010, 12:57 PM
With the NCAA investigation on Quinn, I can see him going middle to late first round. Especially since he's going to miss at least what, another 2-3 games?

Teams are only going to get half a seasons read on him and if he isn't dominating who knows, he may even fall out of the first round.

As of right now though, I tend to lean more towards Luck as being the next big NFL prospect. I think Jake Locker is still a year away from the level of Luck right now. I watch Luck and I see him going through progressions and making good decisions. I watch Locker and I see him lock onto one target and completely abandon his legs.

But if we can't get one of those two QB's, I have to say that the top WRs in this class have me super excited. Jones, Green, and Baldwin are all big play guys. I like all of them more than I liked Crabtree a couple of years ago (we all know I hated Crabtree). They are possess legitimate top 10 WR skills. It is going to be interesting to see if they can put it all together.

Ingram would also be an awesome consolation prize.

HawkEye30
09-25-2010, 12:25 AM
For the first, i wouldn't mind:
- Jake Locker
-Andrew Luck
-Patrick Petersen
- Robert Quinn. I havent seen quinn, but some say he's the best pass rusher. I just want a good one.
- Baldwin, Floyd, or Green.
- I wouldnt be totally against taking ingram in the first but it would have to be if all these guys were taken. Im not really a fan of taking a rb in the 1st.

HawkEye30
10-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Im just curious what picks we have left for 2011, ill try and look it up. Anyone else feel free to do it!

summond822
10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Well we don't have our 3rd (Whitehurst), 4th (Lynch), or 6th (Balmer).

We got a 6th round pick for Jackson, conditional (likely 7th round) for Wallace.

EDIT: Forgot about wilson. We got a 4th/5th for Wilson

HawkEye30
10-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Question for you guys? From my perspective i think the talent in this draft is nothing to write home about. I think the first round talent is good but out side that its not a great draft year. So my question is, do we trade everything(all our draft picks) this year and go for jake locker. A couple of weeks ago i would say no, but hass is pretty much done and from what i hear chrlie whitehurst sucks. So i say we do and grab our qotf.

Thoughts?

summond822
10-06-2010, 05:08 PM
The only reason I'm excited about this draft is the because it seems front loaded at WR and QB.

Now, the only QB I feel comfortable taking top 5 is Andrew Luck. Top 10 Locker, and I feel like I wouldn't touch Mallet until the 2nd round.

However, the top WR's get me excited. Floyd, Green, Jones, and Baldwin all strike me as exceptional talents. I mean even the one from Miami...Hinkerson (I know I got that one wrong...).

So, I guess I'm saying. No, I wouldn't give up everything to go and get Locker. We do need a QB of the future, but I just don't see us sacrificing our entire draft for a QB (Locker) who, and as a Washington fan this hurts, is nowhere near as far along as he should be.

Babylon
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Question for you guys? From my perspective i think the talent in this draft is nothing to write home about. I think the first round talent is good but out side that its not a great draft year. So my question is, do we trade everything(all our draft picks) this year and go for jake locker. A couple of weeks ago i would say no, but hass is pretty much done and from what i hear chrlie whitehurst sucks. So i say we do and grab our qotf.

Thoughts?

I think the draft is good and i think you mortgage the farm for Locker. Heck i saw about 4 or 5 second rounders just on the USC team the other night:

Kris Odowd
Shareece Wright (hate that little troll)
Allan bradford
Ronald Johnson
Jurrell Casey
Tyron Smith

Babylon
10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Starting to warm to the idea of Lynch if he can keep his off the field antics in check. Should free up Pete to address some other more pressing needs in the draft.

summond822
10-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Well he is a pro bowler on the field. It's just the stuff off of it that is the major issue...

Babylon
10-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Probably not a pro bowler with that line but yeah he needs to stay out of Pioneer SQ. and West Seattle and maybe he'll have a chance.

Caulibflower
10-12-2010, 06:15 PM
I think Andrew Luck has turned into my favorite draft-eligible quarterback this year. I also have the feeling that he's going to return to school for another year. With that in mind, here's how I feel about what the Seahawks need to address in next years draft:

Offensive needs:

Wideout. Mike Williams was drafted to be that kind of guy; it appears that he actually didn't completely flame out of the league a couple years ago, but whether or not he is going to show us the consistent demonstration of dominance that everyone expected of him when he was drafted is yet to be determined. Some of the issues in Seattle's passing game lie with the decline of Matt Hasselbeck, certainly. I guess what i'm getting at is that I think potentially Mike Williams could prove that wide receiver isn't a pressing need for us if he has a good season. He could turn out to be that big-bodied compliment we need opposite Deon Butler and Golden Tate. Talent-wise, that seems like a perfectly acceptable receiving corps, especially when you factor in our tight ends. Which could mean the front office directs its attention elsewhere in the first round, even if a Julio Jones or Jonathan Baldwin is available. That said, I'm a guy who is all for loading up on receivers, just for the simple fact that it makes it much easier for a QB when he's got more than one guy he can throw it up to while he crosses his fingers.

Running Back With the acquisition of Marshawn Lynch, our backfield is no longer undersized. I actually liked Marshawn a lot when he first broke in with the Bills. I also liked that he and Justin Forsett were a terrific tandem back at Cal. I think there's potential here, like with the receiver position, for some of these newer faces to show that there aren't any glaring needs at the position. That said, like I also said above, if a guy like (well...particularly if) Mark Ingram is available when we pick, I'm going to be yelling at the TV for the 'Hawks to take him until Mr. Goodell reads the name off the card.

Tight End Frankly, I think we're set at tight end. John Carlson has pro bowl potential, and I see Anthony McCoy as a bit of a Martellus Bennett-type backup who can come in on heavy packages and be a mismatch for a linebacker. I haven't seen enough of Cameron Morrah to be able to comment on him, really, but he seems like a decent enough player as well. If anything, I suppose the 'Hawks might be interested in a guy who can block a little better, but out of the three positions I've mentioned so far, I think tight end is by far the least unknown. I don't see the Seahawks drafting a tight end anything close to early.

Offensive line I think it's obvious that this is place where a premium pick could be put to good use. I haven't had a chance to get too deeply into what prospects are going to be available, but just from a philosophical standpoint, I'd rather the Seahawks, given the personell they have right now, take a solid lineman in the first than Ryan Mallett. Just throwing that out there, because it's pretty easy to imagine Locker and (if he declares) Luck being gone before Mallett. Again: if it comes down to a lineman or Mallett, that's an easy choice for me. I'd rather just strengthen the point of attack and see who's available later or in the next draft than try to convince myself that Ryan Mallett is the guy who we can build a franchise around just because lots of people are talking about him and he happens to be on the board when we pick. I don't really know ho I got into this tangent while talking about our line problems, but...whatever. I think picking an offensive lineman for a team that's struggling on offense is a good move. Better than trying to plug a guy who's a little questionable into an offense that's definitely suspect as a whole.

Quarterback Might as well expound on how I feel about our QB situation. I've never been a huge fan of Hasselbeck as a football player. I don't hate him; I've just never been more than lukewarm towards him. The 5 years the 'Hawks made the playoffs, he had an easy job; the running game was great, and he had Darrell Jackson, Bobby Engram, Nate Burleson, and Koren Robinson to throw to, among others. Now, it's not that those guys are All-Pro's, but each of them had at least one 1000-yard receiving season, which shows that Hasselback basically always had a variety of solid guys to throw to. And let's not forget that he had one of the best LG-LT tandems of all time in Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson. That's simply not the case right now, and it's not surprising in the least that Hasselbeck's play has declined. He's older and he doesn't have the weapons he used to. You can look at it as a combination of him being in a pretty favorable situation for a number of years as well as what is most likely a deteriorating skill set; I think he was a bit overrated because of the success of the teams he quarterbacked, but I don't necessarily think that the 'Hawks recent failures are as much to do with him than as the declining talent of the team itself. I don't think drafting a franchise QB is something that the 'Hawks must do this year, but I do think that it's something that they need to do very soon. I know that seems like a weird stance to have - if there had been a franchise guy there last year (I'm glad they didn't take Clausen) I would have approved of them taking a QB. But our QB situation, especially with Charlie Whitehurst in the wings, isn't one I feel is desperate. I mean, at least we aren't the Browns. I feel confident enough with Hasselbeck and Whitehurst that I would be cautious about reaching for someone I wasn't totally sold on in the first round.

I don't really feel like going through the defense right now. I do think that taking a defensive player in the first is pretty likely, but perhaps I'll get into that later.

gpngc
10-12-2010, 06:58 PM
If we don't move to a 3-4, we need a big-time DE first and foremost.

If we do move to a 3-4 we need to figure out:
a) if Dexter Davis or Chris Clemons can play OLB and start
b) if Brandon Mebane can play NT

So besides front seven on D, our needs are...

1 - CB
2 - Interior OL
3 - WR

and of course, we need to make a decision about Charlie Whitehurst...

So basically, it's anyone's guess...

Honestly, we'd be in amazing shape right now if we had taken Sanchez over Curry and never given up a 3rd round pick for Clipboard Jesus.

summond822
10-13-2010, 02:49 PM
I think we all agree that Hasselbeck is done. We need to find out what we have in Whitehurst, and if he stops us from taking a premier QB prospect, I am going to be pissed unless he turns to be amazing in his spot duty this year.

Regardless, if there are still question marks about the QB situation, we need to take a pass rusher. Look at Brian Orakpo, thought to be too small to be an effective 4-3 DE, but he just gets to the QB. We need someone like that regardless of his whether we are in the 3-4 or the 4-3

Babylon
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I think with the first pick we can just let the draft dictate which way to go. What i'm saying is just go BPA. If you have an AJ Green, Patrick Peterson or a Locker or a Luck there then you take one of those guys. In the second and third round you can then fill in the holes at D-line or WR.

I think Locker trumps everything you do really, it looks like Luck is probably a lock to the Bills otherwise we could probably trade up some and take Jake. The northwest is in love with this guy and there is enough star potential there to justify taking him. If Jake Locker played for a team that could actually block and catch i think he wouldnt even be withing reach, now maybe.

Caulibflower
10-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Here goes my defensive assessment.

Defensive Line. I’m just going to talk about “D-line” in general, instead of tackles and ends, because it’s evident that we’re going to be using a hybrid scheme, not just “hybrid” players. I’ll talk about D-lineman when I mean, “the guys who are going to be hitting heads with the offensive line on every play and are primarily responsible for dictating the running game.” I’ll talk about pass-rushers later, because it’s becoming a different position than what I just described.

Needless to say, we don’t have any star defensive linemen. I do think Brandon Mebane has some real potential, but I’m not sure how he’d play in a 3-4 front. Ideally, Carroll keeps enough 4-down packages in his repertoire that B.M. can keep playing his most natural position. I don’t know if he’s got what it takes to be a nose tackle. Jay Ratliff is proving that you don’t have to be 330 pounds to play nose tackle in the NFL, but he’s also 3 or 4 inches taller than Mebane. I don’t know what Mebane’s reach is, but it seems like having a guy with a relatively short wingspan in the middle of your defense, without another tackle next to him, wouldn’t be the best idea in theory. So I like Mebane, I don’t see a need to replace him, but I worry how effective he’ll be as the defense evolves. And…I was going to go through some of the other players, but after thinking about it I think it suffices to say that they’re pretty generic NFL players, and if there’s a chance to take a stud D-lineman to give other teams’ running games a hard time, we would be well justified to do so. I think it looks pretty hilarious to have Red Bryant playing DE, and he hasn’t been bad, but he just isn’t very fast off the edge, and he’s out of place in a 4-3. For 3-4 packages, I don’t have a problem with him at all. In fact, I think he’s one of our young players that could turn into a longtime starter…somewhere along the line. The fact that he can play end in a 4-3, at 330 or so, is an indication of pretty exceptional athletic ability.

Pass-rushers. I think Chris Clemons has been a pleasant surprise to all of us. He’s got 4 sacks in 4 games, 2 each against San Diego and St. Louis. If he keeps that up, he’s going to get into the Pro Bowl discussion. He’s simply been effective. Of course, it’s always possible that he may never get another sack, but so far he’s been more of an “answer” than a “stopgap solution.” If he gets double-digit sacks for us this year, I say sign him to an extension and give him the chance to be a Seahawk for the rest of his career. My impression of him is that of an athletic player who hasn’t got to play a lot, and he’s actually only 28 right now despite having been in the NFL for 7 years. He’s still in his prime, and I don’t think he needs to be replaced. We’ve seen good things out of Dexter Davis so far, but with his size, my guess is that he’s going to make his living as a situational guy. And I don’t have a problem with that at all. I think we’ve got some good things going on with what we’ve got right now, but if we were to look for a need, I’d be looking for a guy who can play all 3 downs. Clemons and Davis are both of the “pure pass rusher” variety, and even though I like both of them, if might be a good idea if we can try to find a guy in the 265-275 pound range to really take the role of that strongside force, whether as a standup linebacker or a rush end. Oh, and I'm not even going to include Aaron Curry in this category. As nice as it would be, he just isn't a pass-rusher.

Linebackers. You’d think this would be a strong point of the defense, but our linebacking corps has been uncomfortably average for a while. Tatupu is great, and I won’t say anything more about him. I like Hawthorne, but I don’t think he’s a guy you pass up an elite prospect for because you’re confident in him. The worst thing I’ll have to say about our linebackers is that I’m getting that sneaking suspicion that people are going to look back on Aaron Curry and think of him as a “really solid player,” but not a dominant one. And if only he hadn’t been the 4th overall pick, that would be OK. But because he was picked so high, anything less than being a Pro-Bowler is disappointing. I’m not really sure how that affects my stance on him, but… I guess I wouldn’t call linebacker a “need,” but it certainly isn’t a position that I feel we’re completely set at for the foreseeable future. I’d certainly take a talented outside ‘backer in round 2 or 3 if there was a good one available.

Cornerback. We don’t have a shutdown cornerback. Unless you have a shutdown cornerback, you are always justified in picking a shutdown cornerback. That’s about all I have to say about this. Marcus Trufant is good, but aging. Kelly Jennings is average. Walter Thurmond III is talked about in terms of “potential” because no one knows what kind of NFL player he is yet. CB is probably my No. 1 need for the Seahawks right now.

Strong Safety/Rover. In this hybrid defense, it appears that we’ll have this kind of player. Kam Chancellor looks pretty good in the role right now, but he definitely has more “rover” in him than “safety,” which is why he’s the backup to Laywer Milloy. I like him in that capacity, but I don’t know if he can be the starter opposite Earl Thomas. Strong Safeties don’t usually get taken in the first round, but this is another position that I’d have no problem with the ‘Hawks spending a 2nd-rounder on, need-wise.

Free Safety. I believe I mentioned we have Earl Thomas.

Kick Return. Leon Washington is an All-Pro. I only decided to add kick return to make the point that we no longer need to draft a guy because he “adds value in the return game,” although it certainly doesn’t hurt for a player to be versatile. I’ll let Golden Tate’s play speak for itself through the season before I say we should keep looking for a punt returner. He’s had a couple nice returns himself.

Caulibflower
10-14-2010, 08:27 PM
So, in my opinion, the Seahawks need:

1. Andrew Luck or Jake Locker.
2. A top-flight cornerback.
3. Offensive linemen.
4. Defensive linemen.
5. A safety to start opposite Earl Thomas.

I'm a guy who likes to take the best player available in the first round or two, and then address needs. Like I said before, I'd be just fine with taking one of the top wideouts in the first, even though I don't think it's one of our top needs. If one of those two QBs is still on the board when we make our first pick, I think you have to make the call to draft him. So beyond the obvious need for a new QB or offensive playmaker, those are the 5 positions that I think need to be fortified in the offseason.

HawkEye30
10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
The position that i was most worried about for us in the beginning of the season was de but im beginning to think our biggest need is cb, besides qb. Trufant is a good cb but he will never get back to his '07 form. Jennings is average and thurmond is a rookie so the jurys out on him. You can create a pass rush without a great pass rushing de, but you cant really make a corner better without always giving him safety help

Cicero
10-22-2010, 01:54 PM
The position that i was most worried about for us in the beginning of the season was de but im beginning to think our biggest need is cb, besides qb. Trufant is a good cb but he will never get back to his '07 form. Jennings is average and thurmond is a rookie so the jurys out on him. You can create a pass rush without a great pass rushing de, but you cant really make a corner better without always giving him safety help

CB definitely needs to be addressed. Our pass defense has been pretty abysmal this year. Our much improved run d and pass rush has been able to help hide the problem, but if we play a good passing team who can protect their QB we're going to get torn apart.

summond822
10-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Luckily there are two stud CB's that can be had at the top to middle of the draft. I find it highly unlikely that two teams are going to need a CB in the top 10, leading to one to fall to us.

I personally don't care if it's Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara (what is up with the names at Nebraska???) they are both complete studs and could be lockdown corners for years.

Of course there is also that Dowling kid from Virginia who could be a solid late 1st round pick.

Caulibflower
11-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Seeing Stanley Havili in Scott's Hot Prospects list reminded me that the 'Hawks really haven't had much at that position since Mack Strong left. I've liked Havili ever since he came to USC, and he fits in this offense. Hard not to like a fullback who blocks hard and catches well. He can run, too. I'd spend a mid-round pick on him for sure.

Babylon
11-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Luckily there are two stud CB's that can be had at the top to middle of the draft. I find it highly unlikely that two teams are going to need a CB in the top 10, leading to one to fall to us.

I personally don't care if it's Patrick Peterson or Prince Amukamara (what is up with the names at Nebraska???) they are both complete studs and could be lockdown corners for years.

Of course there is also that Dowling kid from Virginia who could be a solid late 1st round pick.

My big board would probably look like this at the top:

Locker
Luck
Peterson
Akamura
A.J. Green
Julio Jones

HawkEye30
12-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Alright this has kinda been dead for awhile. So if you could have anyone in this draft, who would it be? Regardless of where we are picking, basically who gives ya a woody in this draft?

summond822
12-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Andrew Luck obviously. Then:
A.J. Green
Prince Amukamara/Patrick Peterson
Da'Quon Bowers
Robert Quinn (if his off the field stuff doesn't translate to onfield)
Jake Locker
Justin Blackmon
Robert Kerrigan

Caulibflower
01-01-2011, 04:00 PM
Positional needs:

1. Quarterback- Hasselbeck has been terrible. He has no ability to extend plays. If pressure gets to him, he either makes a terrible throw or else falls down. He needs to go. I have no confidence in Charlie Whitehurst, either. The few times he's been on the field, he looks scared to throw the football. Seattle needs to get on the ball and draft a quarterback. Luck'll be gone, Locker might be on the board. If Cam Newton is on the board when Seattle picks... I say take him. Maybe even over Locker, although I think it'll end up being one or the other on draft day; I don't think they'll both be on the board in the 10-range.

2. Cornerback-Our secondary is bad. We need a guy who can cover anyone. The End.

3. Wideout- I like the talent we've got, but I don't think we've got a "number one" on the roster. BMW provides some nice size out there, but he's still dropping some passes and lacks deep speed. Tate and Butler are guys I like, but they're both pretty small. If we could pick up AJ Green or another of the top wideouts, I'd be ok with that. This is a deep class, so I think receiver would be a good option in the second round, going on need.

We lost Unger early on this season, and Okung missed a bunch of time. So that's two of our best lineman out of action for substantial stretches of the season. I'm a fan of loading up on offensive linemen, but don't really consider it a "need" as of now. We just need our line to stay healthy. Following that thought, I don't think running back is an area which requires attention, either. Marshawn and Justin Forsett are a nice 1-2; they just had very little room to run this year. They both ran hard, but defenses were getting to them too fast.

And everyone and their grandmother is mocking us a defensive end. I am going to be pissed if we take a defensive end with our first pick. We do not need a defensive end. Our defense was adequate at getting to the passer this year. Not elite by any means, but not terrible. The coaching staff did a good job of being creative and using pressure packages. The problems we're having this year have almost everything to do with our offense being abysmal. They aren't giving the defense a chance to rest. Offense should be first priority in this draft.

Caulibflower
01-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Oh, and I meant to mention Red Bryant's injury. I think the way our defense tanked after his injury shows we've got a pretty good player in him, too. It shows a lack of depth, but you don't use the 10th pick of the draft for depth. If the 'Hawks pick D-line, they ought to take a disruptive tackle, perhaps Nick Fairley.

Babylon
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Positional needs:

1. Quarterback- Hasselbeck has been terrible. He has no ability to extend plays. If pressure gets to him, he either makes a terrible throw or else falls down. He needs to go. I have no confidence in Charlie Whitehurst, either. The few times he's been on the field, he looks scared to throw the football. Seattle needs to get on the ball and draft a quarterback. Luck'll be gone, Locker might be on the board. If Cam Newton is on the board when Seattle picks... I say take him. Maybe even over Locker, although I think it'll end up being one or the other on draft day; I don't think they'll both be on the board in the 10-range.

2. Cornerback-Our secondary is bad. We need a guy who can cover anyone. The End.

3. Wideout- I like the talent we've got, but I don't think we've got a "number one" on the roster. BMW provides some nice size out there, but he's still dropping some passes and lacks deep speed. Tate and Butler are guys I like, but they're both pretty small. If we could pick up AJ Green or another of the top wideouts, I'd be ok with that. This is a deep class, so I think receiver would be a good option in the second round, going on need.

We lost Unger early on this season, and Okung missed a bunch of time. So that's two of our best lineman out of action for substantial stretches of the season. I'm a fan of loading up on offensive linemen, but don't really consider it a "need" as of now. We just need our line to stay healthy. Following that thought, I don't think running back is an area which requires attention, either. Marshawn and Justin Forsett are a nice 1-2; they just had very little room to run this year. They both ran hard, but defenses were getting to them too fast.

And everyone and their grandmother is mocking us a defensive end. I am going to be pissed if we take a defensive end with our first pick. We do not need a defensive end. Our defense was adequate at getting to the passer this year. Not elite by any means, but not terrible. The coaching staff did a good job of being creative and using pressure packages. The problems we're having this year have almost everything to do with our offense being abysmal. They aren't giving the defense a chance to rest. Offense should be first priority in this draft.

Like your list there and agree with most. I would take Jake over Newton, i know Locker can make all the throws and Newton's resume is just too tiny. I dont want to gamble on character, we know who wins that battle.

summond822
01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I agree with your list, but saying we don't need a pass rushing DE just doesn't feel right to me.

I'm not saying that we take one in the first round, we have bigger needs at QB, CB, and WR and there will be at least 1 elite talent on the board when we pick. However, we do need depth at DE. Clemons is our only respectable pass rusher and he is 29, getting close to the point were DE's start to drop off.

We need to have someone else that can rush the passer on downs when Clemons is out of the game.

Also we may want to take someone as depth behind Bryant. His problem coming out of college was his ability to stay healthy. With constant action this year he got injured. We can't afford to put all of the effectiveness of our defense on the back/knees of one player.

So I guess the positions that we need to address and when to address them is:
QB: 1st/2nd
RB: 7th/UDFA
FB: 5th-7th
WR: 1st-4th
TE: UDFA
OT: 5th-7th
OG: 4th-6th
C: 4th-6th
DE: 3rd-6th
DT: 3rd-6th
LB: UDFA
CB: 1st-4th
S: 5th-7th
P: UDFA
K: 7th

Hope I didn't leave anything out

Caulibflower
01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Well, my sentiment isn't so much that we shouldn't draft a defensive end at all, but I'm adamant about it not being the position we should target with out first pick. I'm pretty sure we don't have a third-round pick, thanks to the Whitehurst deal, but if there's a guy we like in the 4th or later... sure, take him. But not at 10.

Caulibflower
01-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Pierre Allen or Sam Acho in the middle rounds.

Caulibflower
01-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Again about the defensive ends: Did you guys even know that Raheem Brock has had 9 sacks for us this year? I actually just realized this. He did that pretty quietly. But that being the case, we've got Chris Clemons with 11, and Raheem Brock with 9. That's solid pass-rush production out of not one, but two players. Anyone one here want to convince me that DE is a position we should target with our first pick?

summond822
01-05-2011, 09:09 PM
Not DE with our first pick unless there is no value at QB, WR, or CB. Then I would go DE/DT.

But in other news, anyone think we should go after Vince Young if we don't draft a QB in the first this year? I mean it sounds like he is done in Tennessee.

Caulibflower
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Vince Young is still going to command a fairly expensive contract, and I wouldn't want him as more than a stopgap. In other words, no I wouldn't want the 'Hawks to pursue Young.

TT Gator
01-09-2011, 11:24 PM
I just don't see QB as an option anymore. After Hasselback's performance againest New Orleans I think Carroll will believe himself safe at the moment with him for at least a year or two with Whitehurst (who he seems to be fond of) waiting on the side. Add that the late season success has knocked them out of getting any of the top tier QBs anyway. RB is set with Lynch and Washington. Williams came out of no where at WR and with some other new blood with talent (Tate, Butler, Stokely) I just don't see it as a priority. O-Line should be addressed in the 2nd. I think an inside lineman like Kris O'Dowd at C or the other Pouncey brother at G would be a nice pick. In the first round it needs to be either a DE or CB and i think you go DE since if you improve your pass rush your pass defence will always follow. In the late first round some possible players would be Clayborn and Cameron Heyward. Both had somewhat disappointing seasons but are still good DEs and could end up being steals. Aldon Smith is an absolute freak of nature and may not go as high as he should if he declares cuz he sat for much of the season. He'd be perfect but will likely be long gone by then. If there is a run on DEs early in the 1st then a CB like Janoris Jenkins would suffice but I really think a pass rusher is a more immediate need.

summond822
01-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Hasselbeck is gonna 36 next season. Charlie Whitehurst will be 29. If we just pick up talent at other positions and ignore QB.

When we finally do draft a QB, he will be entering his prime, when the other key players on this team will be exiting theirs. Giving us maybe 1-3 years of good football before we are forced to rebuild again.

Whitehurst is not the answer, and a knee jerk reaction to Hasselbeck's game does not help this team long term.

They may be comfortable with one of them next year, but they still bring in a young QB to start grooming.

Cicero
01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Not DE with our first pick unless there is no value at QB, WR, or CB. Then I would go DE/DT.

But in other news, anyone think we should go after Vince Young if we don't draft a QB in the first this year? I mean it sounds like he is done in Tennessee.
No. He's a headcase and even if he wasn't he's still nothing more than an average QB on his best days.
I just don't see QB as an option anymore. After Hasselback's performance againest New Orleans I think Carroll will believe himself safe at the moment with him for at least a year or two with Whitehurst (who he seems to be fond of) waiting on the side. Add that the late season success has knocked them out of getting any of the top tier QBs anyway. RB is set with Lynch and Washington. Williams came out of no where at WR and with some other new blood with talent (Tate, Butler, Stokely) I just don't see it as a priority. O-Line should be addressed in the 2nd. I think an inside lineman like Kris O'Dowd at C or the other Pouncey brother at G would be a nice pick. In the first round it needs to be either a DE or CB and i think you go DE since if you improve your pass rush your pass defence will always follow. In the late first round some possible players would be Clayborn and Cameron Heyward. Both had somewhat disappointing seasons but are still good DEs and could end up being steals. Aldon Smith is an absolute freak of nature and may not go as high as he should if he declares cuz he sat for much of the season. He'd be perfect but will likely be long gone by then. If there is a run on DEs early in the 1st then a CB like Janoris Jenkins would suffice but I really think a pass rusher is a more immediate need.
Just thinking about another few years of Hass makes me sick. Sure he played lights out for ONE GAME, but that doesn't change the fact that for the last few seasons he's looked like he needed to go to the glue factory. His play was abysmal all season. Whitehurst's accuracy has looked really suspect from the limited numbers of snaps I've seen him take and a lot of his balls seem to sail on him. If I were in charge of the team, no way has he shown me enough to prevent me from going out and getting a new signal caller.
Hasselbeck is gonna 36 next season. Charlie Whitehurst will be 29. If we just pick up talent at other positions and ignore QB.

When we finally do draft a QB, he will be entering his prime, when the other key players on this team will be exiting theirs. Giving us maybe 1-3 years of good football before we are forced to rebuild again.

Whitehurst is not the answer, and a knee jerk reaction to Hasselbeck's game does not help this team long term.

They may be comfortable with one of them next year, but they still bring in a young QB to start grooming.
Yes please. I would do anything to get ourselves a franchise QB.

wonderbredd24
01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
so I was looking to see what the Seahawks could use in the draft and see mid round-late round for the entire defensive line... a defensive line that got pushed around by the Bears offensive line that needs all 5 starters replaced. Are you sure the DLine is a mid round issue?

summond822
01-16-2011, 05:38 PM
In terms of needs elsewhere yes. We need talent at QB and CB (hell even OL & WR) far more than we need it on the DL.

Am I saying that we don't take a stud for the DL in the 1st or 2nd? No. But we have gotten good production from players that no one expected this year, and our defense was actually one of the better ones in the league before Red Bryant went down with an injury.

Babylon
01-16-2011, 10:43 PM
So you lose about 90 spots over the course of the entire draft to get to within a game of the NFC title game, i guess it was worth it.

The draft should be interesting because they need help at almost every position on the roster except maybe RB, S, LB and TE. I'd probably take best available in the first couple of rounds but if the Hawks are in a position to trade up for a Jake Locker i wouldnt hesitate. If someone knows what Pete Carroll is thinking feel free to let me know.

asdf1223
01-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I look at the draft order and see that no team after 16.Jacksonville needs a QB. If Jake/any QB drops beyond that he should be there at 25, barring trade ups of course.

Also,
Our first+second and 4th round picks give us 1158 points, enough for the 13th pick. If any of the top QBs slip past Minny, we could trade up and get them as well. Of course, the only team that needs a QB after is Miami and possibly Jax.

Caulibflower
02-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Overview of the Seahawks for the 2011 draft

Positional Assessments:

Quarterback- Matt Hasselbeck had the game of his life against New Orleans and probably earned himself a two-year contract to finish out his career in Seattle with it. Pete Carroll has publicly said that one of the team’s top offseason priorities is to retain Hasselbeck, but it’s painfully obvious that the Seahawks need to bring in some young talent at the position. I’m not sure what the team thinks about Charlie Whitehurst, but from all I’ve seen of him, his proper role is that of “Clipboard Jesus.” He’s backup-quality. Frankly, he appeared afraid to throw the football when he finally made it into games. I don’t want him as our QB. From a fan’s perspective, we need to try to make a move for one *now*, but at the same time, I’d rather trade for Kolb than draft a rookie I dislike, such as Ryan Mallett. I actually think Ricky Stanzi is quite similar to Matt Hasselbeck, which would be an interesting dynamic if the Seahawks were to look his way during the mid rounds. Bottom line: the ‘Hawks need a new QB in a bad way, and the clock is about to hit midnight for Matt Hasselbeck.

Running Back- I like the combo we’ve got with Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett. Leon Washington is one of the better third-stringers in the league. Of course, if someone extraordinarily talented fell to us, I wouldn’t mind adding some flash to what has been a very, very dull offense the last few years.

Fullback- I was disappointed to see Leonard Weaver go. We’ve got Michael Robinson playing fullback right now, and while I like him, he’s really more of a utility player than a true fullback. I’m one of those folks who loves having a smashmouth fullback on the roster to clear lanes, but we haven’t been a power-running team. Carroll said he wanted to build that kind of offense last year, but it didn’t really happen. If there was a chance we could draft Marecic or someone else of similar tenacity, it could be a boon for our running game.

Wide Receiver- I like the guys we have here, too. Between Mike Williams, Deon Butler, Golden Tate and Ben Obamanu, we have a fairly deep receiving corps, in my opinion. We are lacking a proven number one, though, but unless we can land AJ Green (we can’t), there are certainly more pressing needs at the top of the draft.

Tight End- Another position where I feel we have decent depth. Cameron Morrah and John Carlson can both get it done, but this is yet another position where we don’t have a guy that I’m really excited about. Not a position of *need*, per se, but this team can use talent upgrades across the board.

Offensive line- Our two best linemen were hurt most of the year. Unger went down early, and Okung was week-to-week most of the season. When Okung was in, there was a HUGE difference. I imagine if Unger had been there, too, our offense would’ve been considerably better. However, there are five offensive line position, and those are only two guys. If there’s an opportunity for us to nab a stud lineman early, particularly a run-blocking RT, I would hope the Seahawks make that pick. Like everyone knows, and I mentioned before, they couldn’t run at ALL this year.
Defensive End- Though numerous people have been mocking defensive ends to the Seahawks, I’ve remained adamant that this is not a position of need. We were in the middle of the pack last year in terms of sacks, Chris Clemons having 11 sacks and Raheem Brock having 9, and had a sack in both playoff games. The problem with our pass defense is the secondary, not the pressure. It would be a good idea, as always, to pick up talent where it’s valuable, but defensive end is not a pressing need at this time.

Defensive Tackle- Brandon Mebane is a good player, but beyond him we don’t have much. Defensive tackle is a position where I think a high pick would be warranted. We basically played a hybrid scheme last year, and probably had the heaviest 4-3 defensive end in the league, the 320-ish Red Bryant, before I got injured. He was basically an “edge tackle,” and our run D went down the pipes after he got injured. Pete Carroll likes to move guys around, and on our team a guy like Cameron Jordan could be drafted to play the role Bryant did last year. I’m doubtful Jordan would be on the board at 25 (think that’s where we’re picking), but I like him quite a bit, and think he’d be a good player for that role. With his size, we could rotate him in and out, a bit like Justin Tuck. Jordan is a 290 lb DE with athleticism, so he has the positional versatility Carroll craves. He’s a good fit for our D, which is almost… a 3.5-3.5. Not quite a 3-4, but not quite a 4-3. Any good penetrating tackle-type would see the field early and often on this team.

Linebackers- Lofa Tatupu is good, we’ve got quite a bit invested in Aaron Curry, and the rest of the LB corps is solid if unspectacular. I’ve probably got less to say about them than anyone else. Not real flashy, but good enough that we don’t need to be looking for LBs early in this draft.

Cornerbacks- We could absolutely use a good cover corner. I may have even less to say about this than I do about the linebackers because we HAVE to upgrade this position. If quarterback wasn’t such an important position, I’d say cornerback was our first priority, because we don’t have a lot. Walter Thurmond may well turn into a good player, but we definitely do not have a lockdown guy.

Safety- We’ve got a ballhawk back there in Earl Thomas, but he’s not the greatest tackler. Lawyer Milloy is ancient, and Kam Chancellor isn’t the greatest cover guy. If there was a chance we could pick up a good Strong Safety to lurk in the middle of the field, that’s another position that I think would be well worth looking at early.

In Conclusion, we need:

A Franchise QB, whether through free agency (meh…), or through the draft. Although I have to say that my gut is telling me that the QB’s who will be available when we pick are not going to be the ones I want.

Shutdown Cornerback. As does everyone, but until you get one… (apply football cliché here)

Offensive Line. Bring in some more big nasties to get the ground game going and keep the QB out of the dirt.

Strong Safety. We could definitely use a guy to pair with Thomas and take away the middle.

Caulibflower
02-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Realistically, I like Brandon Harris in the first. I think I'm going to go with that as my optimistic prediction, for now. He breaks up passes like nobody's business, tackles well, has great speed.

Cicero
02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Realistically, I like Brandon Harris in the first. I think I'm going to go with that as my optimistic prediction, for now. He breaks up passes like nobody's business, tackles well, has great speed.

That's what I'm hoping for too. I personally feel that he's a better prospect than Prince and I would be very happy to have him in Seahawk blue next year.

Caulibflower
02-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I was looking at Scott's mock after I made that big post there, and he's got both the guys I mentioned, Cameron Jordan and Brandon Harris going in the two spots ahead of us. Of course, he also gives us Locker. If those guys are all on the board, who'd you want to pick? Brandon Harris, Cameron Jordan, or Jake Locker?

I gotta say, though, I think Cameron Jordan could very easily be off the board in the top-20. Less sure about the other two. It wouldn't surprise me if Locker went top-15, top-30, or even went in the second. I don't think Harris will be on the board after the first round, though.

summond822
02-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I like your writeup on draft needs. However I still think that we need an early DE, probably not a first round one though.

Here is a great article about our pass rush this year. It shows that Chris Clemons is probably overrated and Raheem Brock is probably our best pass rusher.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/2/4/1975471/chris-clemons-and-blitz-sacks

Pretty much the jist of it is that of Clemons 11 sacks, 64% came on blitzes while of Brocks 9 sacks, 1 came on a blitz. One thing to remember when regarding the percentages though is that he considered a blitz bringing additional people instead of where the pressure came from.

And yes, I would love Cameron Jordan, Brandon Harris, or Locker. If it comes down to choosing between those three you have to go with the QB. Just from how much each position is worth, QB is way more important than CB or 4-3 DE/DT.

gpngc
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Sure. Except for the fact that Locker is the inferior prospect.

All the rumors are that we'll be looking QB, which I think sucks because I don't really care for any of these QBs.

I've seen a report linking us to Mallett, a few mocks with us taking Locker (duh), and a few with us taking Kaepernick in the first lol.

I'd personally rather go CB in the first and then possibly take Locker or Kaepernick in the 2nd round (don't be blinded by homerism, it's VERY possible Locker slips like Clausen did).

But if we pass on that position all together I don't think it will be "ignoring QB" more than making sound decisions based on evaluations. The Bills were ridiculed for passing on Clausen but would that have been a good move? Hell no. You have to be diligent and smart with QB stuff - you can't just take a guy because you need one.

And next year we could win the division again. Hass looked as healthy as he's been in YEARS during the postseason. If we don't have a rookie QB waiting in the wings this season it's not the end of the world.

gpngc
02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...

We have:

Round 1
Round 2
Round 4 (Denver's from New England in the Branch deal)
Round 5
Round 5 (Baltimore's from Josh Wilson)
Round 6 (Detroit's from Lawrence Jackson)
Round 7 (Cleveland's from Seneca Wallace)
Round 7

We traded our 3rd for Whitehurst, our 4th for Lynch, and our 6th for Balmer.

Am I correct?

gpngc
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Quick first mock...

Round 1: Jimmy Smith, CB, Colorado
Round 2: Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
Round 4: Jerrell Powe, DT, Mississippi
Round 5: Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union
Round 5: Derek Hall, OL, Stanford
Round 6: Ricky Elmore, DE, Arizona
Round 7: Andrew Jackson, OG, Fresno State
Round 7: Michael Morgan, LB, USC

summond822
02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Locker is not the inferior prospect to Cameron Jordan or Brandon Harris.

In terms of pure potential in this class, it goes 1) Cam Newton 2) Jake Locker and then it doesn't even matter. Locker and Newton are physical freaks. Big, strong, fast. They are light years ahead of anyone else in this class as athletes. If they didn't have huge question marks regarding their accuracy(Locker) and system/father (Newton) they would both be top 5 picks probably going 1 & 3.

And lets be honest, Clausen wasn't anywhere near the prospect that any of the top 5 QBs in this class are. He also had a nasty attitude. The person I see closest to falling like Clausen is Mallet.

I know you don't like the QB's in this class, but we need someone to be learning under Hasselbeck this year. He has 1-2 years left tops, not to mention he's injury prone (hello freak back injury). QBs take 2-4 years to mature. Are you willing to have Clipboard Jesus continue being the QB of the future since we don't have anyone else capable of playing the position?

gpngc
02-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Yes I am. And it's not because I love Whitehurst. I don't think Whitehurst is the answer.

I'm just not in favor of investing a high pick on a QB more so because we need one than because we believe he can lead us to the Super Bowl one day and is more worthy of the pick than the other players available.

I would take Newton and MAYBE Gabbert.

We all know how I feel about Locker but if you don't think there's a chance he falls to the 2nd round then I don't know what to tell you. He's gifted physically but you can't just ignore actual quarterbacking...

Jimmy Clausen might be an asshole but he was a far more impressive college quarterback and a superior prospect (considering most of his concerns came from personality issues and not so much actual performance, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I liked him a lot last year).

summond822
02-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Ok, lets put it this way. Is Locker more advanced as a QB than Tebow last year? Yes. Does he have the Tebow intangibles? No, nobody does, but Locker comes pretty close.

Am I saying that we take Locker immediately if he is there? No. I've watched him at Washington these last 4 years and the one thing that was obvious to me even when he was being touted as the #1 pick last year was his accuracy particularly on deep throws where he consistently overthrows his receiver. The one thing that scouts are worried the most about.

However this year, his receivers dropped a lot of balls. I mean everytime Jermaine Kearse actually caught one I considered it a minor miracle. Does that completely excuse his performance? No. But it does put it a little more into perspective.

Now back to the pick, I am not adverse to taking a 2nd round QB if there is a better prospect on the board at 25 than one of the available QB's. I just have trouble seeing it happening if Locker is on the board. The thing I actually see more likely happening is Locker going Top 15 and us taking one of the top CB's.

In fact I'm actually hoping that Locker doesn't make it to us for the simple reason that if he does stay in Seattle the expectations will be unreachable.

Caulibflower
02-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Seattle Mock Draft (updated)

#25 a. Cameron Jordan, DE Cal
b. Brandon Harris/Jimmy Smith, CBs Miami/Colorado
c. Gabe Carimi, RT Wisconsin

#57 a. Rodney Hudson, OG Florida State
b. Ben Ijalana, OT(I like him better as a guard) Villanova
c. Ahmad Black, DB Florida

#98 a. DeMarco Murray, RB Oklahoma
b. Owen Marecic, FB Stanford
c. Marvin Austin, DT UNC

#153 Mario Addison, DE Troy
(I really like this guy. He's fast, explodes off the edge, gets good leverage under tackles and shows some strength at the POA. I'd be thrilled if the 'Hawks drafted him and let him compete with Chris Clemons for the LEO spot. He's a little bit like a small-schools version of Von Miller, perhaps, but I think he actually looks more physical. Watch him against the big schools at Oklahoma and South Carolina.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7AnorXXJlk

#154 Darvin Adams, WR Auburn

#168 Chykie Brown, CB Texas

#198 Tyrod Taylor, QB Virginia Tech

#217 Andrew Rich, SS BYU

gpngc
02-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I LOVE Jordan, hate Love and think we should pick at least one corner before pick #168. I like Adams and the Addison kid intrigues me as well...

Caulibflower
02-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Basically, I'm figuring that I've got cornerback covered with my #25b options, because I really don't think Cam Jordan is going to be on the board when we pick. What's wrong with Love? He's got everything you want physically. I'd be tempted to move Addison up a pick if it wasn't for the fact that in our case this year, that equates to about two rounds. I've watched that Youtube video several times, and I like everything I see there. For only being listed around 250, he's not a bad run-stopper at all, and you can see that he was disrupting those SEC offenses. He definitely wasn't just putting up his stats against Sun Belt teams.

Caulibflower
02-16-2011, 06:11 AM
What do you guys think of bringing in Kevin Kolb? Say we trade our first rounder to the Eagles for Kolb and their third. Or something.

HawkEye30
02-17-2011, 07:03 AM
What do you guys think of bringing in Kevin Kolb? Say we trade our first rounder to the Eagles for Kolb and their third. Or something.

Absolutely not, I would hate that. Lets keep our first and get a good player.

Caulibflower
02-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Bruce Gradkowski is supposed to be a free agent this year. I've liked him since he first came into the league; wouldn't mind at all if the Seahawks signed him. He's way better than Whitehurst. Dennis Dixon might be worth taking a look at. Honestly, I wouldn't mind bringing in Alex Smith for a look, either.

gpngc
02-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Love is atrocious at football (based on his bowl game and the Senior Bowl). He got beat like a drum consistently).

And I'm not a big Kolb guy. I wouldn't be furious if we dealt #25 for him but I'm not very high on him (though we haven't seen much out of him obviously and he definitely has upside).

Caulibflower
02-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I didn't see Love in those games. I'll take your word for it.

summond822
02-19-2011, 02:15 AM
That Addison kid intrigues me. I love on one of the first plays (Oklahoma State game) he holds off the LT with one arm and makes the tackle. Just shows incredible strength.

However, I think the reason he isn't regarded as a higher round draft pick is because he seems kind of undersized for anything but a situational pass rusher (can't tell from the highlight video), and in coverage he doesn't have great hips. Great sleeper pick as a 4-3 DE though.

Of course, it's also a highlight video so we can't see if there are any inconsistencies with his effort.

summond822
02-26-2011, 02:06 AM
John Clayton hears that more scouts are saying that Locker likely falls to the second (http://mynorthwest.com/category/kevin_calabro_blog/20110225/Clayton:-'Growing-consensus'-that-Locker-will-fall-to-second-round/)

Thoughts? Trading down from 25 now becomes an extremely popular move in my opinion. Grab some extra picks, maybe a first next year, and then grab our QB of the future in the later first or early second.

Caulibflower
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I'd just as soon take him at 25 if the team decides he's "the guy." I mean, if you think that there's a guy on the board who's going to be your quarterback for at least the next 4 or 5 years, just as a matter of a development timetable, I don't think you risk another team taking him just to pick up some more picks.

Caulibflower
03-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Also, does anyone know how Brandon Harris did at the combine? I didn't get to watch this morning. I haven't seen him anywhere on the "fastest times" postings, so I'm guessing he could fall a little bit, which is fine with me if it means we can get him at a bargain price.

summond822
03-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I didn't see it either, but Harris had the 5th best time among DB's in the first group. He ran a 4.43

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/01/chekwa-posts-top-40-among-first-group-of-dbs/

Babylon
03-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I wouldnt put much stock in what John Clayton has to say to be honest. Was that before Locker looked like the best QB at the combine on Sunday? Some mocks i'm seeing he's going as high as #9 to the Titans and #10 to the Redskins. He won't even be there for the Hawks.

gpngc
03-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Also, does anyone know how Brandon Harris did at the combine? I didn't get to watch this morning. I haven't seen him anywhere on the "fastest times" postings, so I'm guessing he could fall a little bit, which is fine with me if it means we can get him at a bargain price.

Harris looked very fluid. He's an NFL CB - no doubt.

It just sucks to have a guy at 5'9" covering Fitz. He'll struggle with bigger receivers but he's got the ability to stay with anyone. I like him.

On a related note, the Jimmy Smith hype train is derailing before our eyes. I doubt we consider him at #25, as I previously believed. Aaron Williams reportedly didn't light up the combine either, but I only saw Harris in drills.

gpngc
03-02-2011, 11:25 PM
I wouldnt put much stock in what John Clayton has to say to be honest. Was that before Locker looked like the best QB at the combine on Sunday? Some mocks i'm seeing he's going as high as #9 to the Titans and #10 to the Redskins. He won't even be there for the Hawks.

By all accounts Ryan Mallett looked like the best QB at the combine.

ALL mocks had Jimmy Clausen going first round at this time last year.

Locker's on-field, in-pads-related issues are not all of the sudden alleviated because he looked better throwing in shorts (how could he NOT look better after his season and Senior Bowl?). His performance Sunday isn't going to move him up to the top ten from the 2nd round range, which is where Clayton (and rational logic) had him prior to throwing well in shorts.

I know it only takes one team but I think there's a GREAT chance he's there at #25 and a real chance he's there for us in the 2nd round.

In terms of insiders, Clayton's not one to spew BS. If he's hearing second round, it's probably accurate. I don't know why you "wouldn't put stock in what he has to say."

summond822
03-03-2011, 01:30 AM
Wait, what is happening with Jimmy Smith? From everything I've heard he's actually moving up into the first half of the 1st. I didn't watch the combine this year, was there a red flag there?

And also, Mallet was the best QB throwing the ball at the combine from everyone who's reporting. It sounds like Locker came second. However Mallet still has the issues of being a statue in the pocket and making very questionable decisions during the game. Also, his inability to deal with the media at the combine and the character concerns that already exist pretty much cement him as a 2nd rounder in my book. No team is going to want to take the risk of drafting him in the first round with all of these red flags.

But you are right about the Clausen in the first round last year. Hell even I was thinking it. This year a lot of draftniks are looking at a similar scenario with Mallet (more serious off field, but also more potential) and being cautious about placing him too high on draft boards.

The one thing I've noticed about Clayton, at least when it comes to this year's draft, is he has never liked Locker, and he is in love with Christian Ponder.

Babylon
03-03-2011, 11:25 AM
By all accounts Ryan Mallett looked like the best QB at the combine.

ALL mocks had Jimmy Clausen going first round at this time last year.

Locker's on-field, in-pads-related issues are not all of the sudden alleviated because he looked better throwing in shorts (how could he NOT look better after his season and Senior Bowl?). His performance Sunday isn't going to move him up to the top ten from the 2nd round range, which is where Clayton (and rational logic) had him prior to throwing well in shorts.

I know it only takes one team but I think there's a GREAT chance he's there at #25 and a real chance he's there for us in the 2nd round.

In terms of insiders, Clayton's not one to spew BS. If he's hearing second round, it's probably accurate. I don't know why you "wouldn't put stock in what he has to say."

You and me are going to have this fight up until draft day i can see. He did have a great weekend at the combine, impressed by all accounts, everyone he talked to and performed above expectations on the field. Athletically he was the best of the top QBs and he threw extremely well. I watched the whole coverage on Sunday and he threw better than Newton by far and i thought as good or better than Mallett. When he does something well give him some credit.

As for the Senior Bowl, you keep wanting to bring up, he was 6-10 and was around 8-11 in catchable balls. We'll keep discussing this i'm sure. No hard feelings.

Clayton doesnt know football from a hole in the wall, he just regurgitates what he hears from others. If he talks to someone that likes Locker tomorrow then his tune will change, nothing more.

gpngc
03-03-2011, 09:03 PM
You and me are going to have this fight up until draft day i can see. He did have a great weekend at the combine, impressed by all accounts, everyone he talked to and performed above expectations on the field. Athletically he was the best of the top QBs and he threw extremely well. I watched the whole coverage on Sunday and he threw better than Newton by far and i thought as good or better than Mallett. When he does something well give him some credit.

As for the Senior Bowl, you keep wanting to bring up, he was 6-10 and was around 8-11 in catchable balls. We'll keep discussing this i'm sure. No hard feelings.

Clayton doesnt know football from a hole in the wall, he just regurgitates what he hears from others. If he talks to someone that likes Locker tomorrow then his tune will change, nothing more.

hears from others = hears from informed NFL sources...

If he comes out tomorrow and says he's now viewed as a first rounder than I'd absolutely buy it. But no credible source has placed him in that area to this point. Instead, most are saying he's a 2nd rounder.

I give Locker credit for his performance at the combine. What I won't do is allow one workout in shorts to vault him up an entire round or two in my mind. He still has the game tape of a mid-to-late round QB with all the tools.

In fact, I heard a bit of his interview today on Mike and Mike and the hosts AND Locker himself were adamant that "draft slot doesn't matter as much as what you do when you get the chance" (paraphrasing a lot) pointing to Rodgers and bracing Locker for a selection later than he was hoping previous to this season. Locker seemed ready to take on that challenge which I liked.

gpngc
03-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Eric Williams of the Tacoma News Tribune has heard "rumblings" that the Seahawks are "not high" on Washington QB Jake Locker.
"But that could be a smokescreen," concedes Williams. Locker has local ties, so it was presumed that he'd be a sexy pick for the Seahawks at No. 25 overall. Then again, after "leading" the hometown Huskies to just 15 wins on 40 career starts, perhaps Locker isn't all that beloved in Washington, after all.
Related: Seahawks
Source: Tacoma News Tribune

This is the second report I've read that has indicated the Seahawks are not high on him.

I do concede that if they did have the intention of selecting him at #25, a smokescreen like this would be smart.

Still, I'm hoping the rumblings are sincere. I know most other Seahawks fans aren't.

HawkEye30
03-29-2011, 05:56 PM
this place is dead

Babylon
03-29-2011, 07:12 PM
this place is dead

No one comes in here anymore it's too crowded.

Jake's pro-day tomorrow, lovely weather par for the course. I see he has Goodwin and Sylvester as two of his receivers, not exactly going to make anyone forget about Rice and Taylor that's for sure.

asdf1223
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Who is your favorite non QB prospect in the draft that you want the hawks to pick at 25? Personally I love Danny Watkins. He's old. But he can step in at LG and be an above average starter.

Babylon
03-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Watkins will be 27 in the fall so i would probably look at him in the second not the first. I personally like a couple of guys who's stock has slipped a little like Cameron Heyward and Adrian Clayborn. On the O-line i would look at Carimi or Castonzo if they were there.

Babylon
03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Noticed Pete was at the UW pro day on wednesday, of course he didnt have very far to commute. He probably heard there was free coffee and doughnuts.

Thought the guys did pretty well today. Mason looked good after an abysmal first 40, Goodwin ran a 4.5 and caught everything he got his hands on.

Jake was near flawless, if there were doubts about his accuracy i think he has answered that, thus it is extremely doubtful he will be there at #25.

Caulibflower
03-31-2011, 02:41 AM
Jake was near flawless, if there were doubts about his accuracy i think he has answered that, thus it is extremely doubtful he will be there at #25.

Dammit. I watched his Oregon State and USC games recently, and he looks tremendous in both of those, both opponents being ranked at the time they played. He looks above the competition against a couple of pretty solid teams.

asdf1223
03-31-2011, 02:59 AM
Noticed Pete was at the UW pro day on wednesday, of course he didnt have very far to commute. He probably heard there was free coffee and doughnuts.

Thought the guys did pretty well today. Mason looked good after an abysmal first 40, Goodwin ran a 4.5 and caught everything he got his hands on.

Mike Lombardi and Charlie Casserly beg to differ. Haha. I really wonder why NFLN had to send these hacks here while sending Mayock to every other pro day. I know I have a bit of bias with Jake but Lombardi is unbearable. He keeps saying Jake is going to take time to develop and he's not worth a 1st rounder while hyping Newton in the top 5 and saying he can Vince Young it his first year despite the fact that he needs similar time to develop. I was secretly hoping he would end up as the 9ers GM so that I could laugh at divisional rivals expense.

The USC game this year is one of my favorite games of Jake. The Touchdown to pass to Aguilar was awesome. Terrific fake, Nice mobility and just great touch and arm strength.

Babylon
03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Mike Lombardi and Charlie Casserly beg to differ. Haha. I really wonder why NFLN had to send these hacks here while sending Mayock to every other pro day. I know I have a bit of bias with Jake but Lombardi is unbearable. He keeps saying Jake is going to take time to develop and he's not worth a 1st rounder while hyping Newton in the top 5 and saying he can Vince Young it his first year despite the fact that he needs similar time to develop. I was secretly hoping he would end up as the 9ers GM so that I could laugh at divisional rivals expense.

The USC game this year is one of my favorite games of Jake. The Touchdown to pass to Aguilar was awesome. Terrific fake, Nice mobility and just great touch and arm strength.

I was surprised Lombardi was there talking with Jake after the workout. It's almost like politics where no matter what the kid does it is criticised. They're saying today over at NFL network that the workout was too easy, that's what they're supposed to be guys. Imagine if he didnt have a good day, i guess he would have been down at Costco this morning looking for a job.

The other little dig i've heard is there werent any head coaches there besides Pete. Fact of the matter is the Trojans had their pro-day yesterday, given a choice i'd be in the sun in southern Cal myself. He's had or has scheduled workouts with the Bills, Vikings, Titans (today) Jags, Phins and Seahawks, that i know of.

CJSchneider
04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Elsewhere, I was the GM for Seattle and was hoping for some feedback as to how I did with their mock.

25. OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
57. WR Jonathan Baldwin, Pitt
99. CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville
156. DL Pernell McPhee, Miss State
157. QB Nathan Enderle, Idaho
173. FB Stanely Havili, USC
209. DT Martin Parker, Richmond
227. LB Josh Bynes, Auburn
242. OG Justin Boren, Ohio State

Be gentle.

Babylon
04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Elsewhere, I was the GM for Seattle and was hoping for some feedback as to how I did with their mock.

Be gentle.

A+ if the top 3 QBs are gone, not a fan of Enderle but some of those picks like Baldwin, Havili and Patrick i like a lot.

CJSchneider
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Newton and Gabbert were gone. Locker went the next pick. My rationale was by getting Pouncey to help protect and Baldwin as a target, either Hasselbeck or Whitehurst would be in a much better situation. Enderle is a developmental type.

gpngc
04-04-2011, 10:06 PM

Be gentle.

It's difficult to screw up a Seahawks mock because they need help at every position aside from TE and RB.

Like Pouncey, love Patrick, the late-rounders are fine. Baldwin I don't think goes that high and I'm not sure they need to draft a receiver at all. Not a terrible pick though and definitely possible.

gpngc
04-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Latest rumors are that we'd consider Andy Dalton in the first round, are also thinking about Jimmy Smith, and Peter King "wouldn't be surprised" if we took Mallett at #25.

Caulibflower
04-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Mallett's rising for me. Andy Dalton in the first is a bit hard to process.

asdf1223
04-05-2011, 12:50 AM
No to Dalton. Mallet I would be Ok with. Jimmy Smith is just too much of a pipedream to come true.

summond822
04-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Mallet I am ok with if the drug rumors are false and the leadership question marks aren't true.

I love the Seahawks mock as significant areas of need were hit in pretty much every round, with the exception of the LB in the 6th, which is kind of iffy, but special teams depth is always needed.

CJSchneider
04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback, yall. My favorite teams are:
1 Saints
2 49ers
3 Who ever is playing against Dallas

So taking over for Seattle helped me get to know some late round guys I may not usually look at and get to know one more team's needs a little bit better.

Babylon
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Pro Football Talk reporting that Jake has had good workouts with the Seahawks and the Vikings and the source (from the Vikings) said that he would be in play at the 12th pick.

The site did add that if the Vikes were saying that then it probably meant they werent really interested, love that kind of logic.

My opinion is he's more likely to end up in Minnesota than Seattle. Pete i think is stuck with the disastrous Charlie Whitehurst deal and it will take a year or two to move on from that. As of today i think Locker is more likely to end up in Tennessee (probably a trade down to the mid-1st) ,Washintgon, Minnesota or Jacksonville.

Cicero
04-09-2011, 04:11 AM
I don't see why Pete has to be stuck with Whitehurst, but Carolina isn't "stuck" with Clausen. Whitehurst didn't show anything to make us think he can be our long-term starter. It only makes the situation worse to deny this, and it's not like he hasn't had adequate time to develop while on the bench.

summond822
04-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah I agree, Whitehurst should not limit us in any way when it comes to making a decision about a QB of the future. Best case scenario Whitehurst actually develops into that franchise guy and if we took a QB early then we are left with a tradeable commodity in either the young QB or Whitehurst.

Worst case scenario is that neither one of them amounts to anything and we are stuck without a franchise QB, but we are already at that point right now...

HawkEye30
04-10-2011, 10:25 PM
can someone tell me why there is like no one left on this forum, and why it's been so dead in the off topic?

Cicero
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
There aren't even that many applications for the forum mock either looking at the thread.

Abaddon
04-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Probably because Scott's been slipping lately. Can't fault the man for having personal issues to deal with, but the site has definitely suffered.

A couple weeks from the start of the draft and there are still high round prospects without a scouting report. That can't help but send people searching elsewhere. Sometimes, they like what they find and stay.

Cicero
04-12-2011, 02:55 AM
Probably because Scott's been slipping lately. Can't fault the man for having personal issues to deal with, but the site has definitely suffered.

A couple weeks from the start of the draft and there are still high round prospects without a scouting report. That can't help but send people searching elsewhere. Sometimes, they like what they find and stay.

Scott's body of work has definitely gone down in the last two years.

Babylon
04-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Scott's body of work has definitely gone down in the last two years.

It's still the best place around for the draft i think, but a lot of the heavyweights have been moonlighting at a differant site.

A couple of weeks away from the draft and i have no idea which way Pete is leaning. Forget about Locker he's being projected as high as #8 now and i think he'll be long gone be #16. If the Hawks had not used that 3rd on Charlie or won that Rams game they probably could have got him but that is neither here nor there i guess.

Pete should just trade down a couple of times as i think the top 50 or so are bunched together pretty good.

HawkEye30
04-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I have never been so clueless as to what were gonna do with our 1st pick. I guess its a good thing that we can pretty much pick any position. As to myself, I have pretty much concluded that locker will be gone by our pick.

HawkEye30
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM

I was just curious because one day half the people that post on here seemed to be gone. The only thing I heard was that the posted a link to another site, but I could be wrong on that one. If anyone knows what happened I would love a pm if possible.

summond822
04-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah, unfortunately Scott hasn't done as much as he has previously...I miss those weekly draft chats they helped me learn a lot.

But as for our pick, personally I want to trade down, pick up some more picks, and start drafting BPA. Too many holes, not enough impact players.

QB would be nice, but I don't think taking Mallet at 25 is smart when he will likely be there at the beginning of the second round, unless Locker, Newton, Gabbert go really, really fast. Even then, there is no QB that I really think is worth a first round pick.

My viewpoint on Mallet is that of this group, he is the only one that I think could become an elite QB, BUT I can also see him becoming another Ryan Leaf. So would I take him in the first? No. But early second then yes. Something about 8 picks just takes so much pressure off of a player in terms of expectations.

gpngc
04-13-2011, 10:24 PM
According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the Seahawks high enough on Ryan Mallett to strongly consider him at No. 25.
"(The Seahawks) have done a lot of work on him," Lombardi says. "There is a feeling that (the Seahawks) hope he gets down to their pick at 25. I think he does fit what they want to do offensively. He can run a pro style. They don’t feel the problems off the field are as bad as some people might suspect." It wouldn't be surprising if Seattle was willing to overlook some of Mallett's character concerns. They need a quarterback in the worst way.
Related: Seahawks
Source: NFL.com

Other rumors:

- We don't view Brandon Mebane as a building block. We only put a 3rd-round tender on him. DT may be addressed in the draft.

- We view Max Unger as a center and will let Chris Spencer go. This also leaves a hole at guard.

I'm fine with letting Spencer go but I do not want to give up on Mebane at all.

summond822
04-13-2011, 11:18 PM
That Unger comment just makes me cringe. At least Spencer is solid there, he's not spectacular but he was our most consistent player on the OL last year. He will never be a Pro Bowler, but he is a starter.

I'm not sure if Unger is actually gonna amount to anything in the league. He has issues with his strength where he just gets pushed around. We'd have a lot clearer picture if Unger hadn't gotten hurt early this year.

I think that we're looking at more those hybrid 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE players. We need effective depth behind Red Bryant in the worse way. I don't think they are giving up on Mebane, but someone to put beside him that can actually take the offense's attention off of him on passing downs would be nice.

HawkEye30
04-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Not gonna lie, I really do not want Ryan Mallet. I'm thinking we just say **** it and go BPA.

gpngc
04-16-2011, 10:54 AM
If we take a QB, I want it to be Mallett. At #25, the risk is minimal. It's not like we're passing on obvious blue-chip prospects, especially in a weak draft.

This could be a franchise-altering draft. If we take the wrong QB, we could become cellar-dwellers for the next few years. If we take the right one, we could get back to being a perennial playoff contender.

And if we roll with Whitehurst and/or Hasselbeck, ignoring QB this year (probably not a terrible idea), we'll continue to be mediocre until we address the position (with the VERY slim chance that Whitehurst Kurt Warner's us).

Cicero
04-17-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to try my hardest to trade down in the forum mock. Any objections ha?

Caulibflower
04-17-2011, 06:19 PM
If we take a QB, I want it to be Mallett. At #25, the risk is minimal. It's not like we're passing on obvious blue-chip prospects, especially in a weak draft.

This could be a franchise-altering draft. If we take the wrong QB, we could become cellar-dwellers for the next few years. If we take the right one, we could get back to being a perennial playoff contender.

And if we roll with Whitehurst and/or Hasselbeck, ignoring QB this year (probably not a terrible idea), we'll continue to be mediocre until we address the position

If we don't get a different QB, that 7-9, 8-8 range is going to be our ceiling. not to mention our schedule is going to be harder next year due to making the playoffs.

(with the VERY slim chance that Whitehurst Kurt Warner's us).

Which would be awesome beyond all belief. But I think it's probably cruel of you even to suggest that could happen, because Whitehurst's got nothing.

Babylon
04-19-2011, 11:27 AM
John Schneider hinting that he wants to trade out of the first round (there would be several takers i believe). Not sure that anything these guys say at this stage of the process is believable. If he means it as a blanket statement then it means he doesnt want to take a QB like a Locker or a Mallett that may fall to him. I find this rather curious and disturbing. Something tells me they are going about it the wrong way but will reserve judgement for draft day. If they pass on Locker to trade down and draft a guard in the second round Pete is going to look like the biggest idiot out there in a year or two.

summond822
04-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Schnieder admitted last year that they were planning on trading down form 14, but Earl Thomas fell to them and he was too good to pass up. I think it's the same thing in that the players that they want, they think are going to be gone before they pick.

However if someone is there that is one of their first choices, then I don't see them trading down.

Cicero
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM
If anyone wants to take a peak at the forum mock and give me some input on my upcoming pick, go for it!

-- He said it was important for head coach Pete Carroll in his first year to make the playoffs, but also admitted to cringing a little after watching the Seahawks defeat St. Louis in the final game of the season -- a win that cost the Seahawks a drop from No. 8 to No. 25.
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/04/18/schneider-whitehurst-will-compete-for-starting-qb-job/#more-10151

I'm kinda surprised he admitted that haha but looks like we weren't the only ones.

Babylon
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
If anyone wants to take a peak at the forum mock and give me some input on my upcoming pick, go for it!

http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/04/18/schneider-whitehurst-will-compete-for-starting-qb-job/#more-10151

I'm kinda surprised he admitted that haha but looks like we weren't the only ones.

GM types think a little differant than players and coaches, who try to win every game no matter what (cant blame them). Another issue with picking #25 as opposed to #9 is it takes effect in every round.

If the Seahawks had a top 10 pick what would the discussion be like in here. They might at the end of the day trade down anyways.

Cicero
04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
GM types think a little differant than players and coaches, who try to win every game no matter what (cant blame them). Another issue with picking #25 as opposed to #9 is it takes effect in every round.

If the Seahawks had a top 10 pick what would the discussion be like in here. They might at the end of the day trade down anyways.

I would most likely not want to trade down from #9. If we managed to snag Robert Quinn or AJ Green I would jump for joy. I wouldn't mind getting Tyron or Aldon Smith there either honestly.

It seems like too often by 25 the only guys left are DTs or OTs who don't belong in the first round but continue to be mocked there. Unless Mebane leaves our starting line is pretty solid and while we need depth, I don't think a backup for Cole, Mebane, or Bryant is where we need to go with our first round pick. If we could get Quinn or Smith I think it would be worth using more traditional 4-3 looks on running downs and we could do some 3-4 looks on passing downs because I think either one of those guys could play OLB and I know Clemons could.

Babylon
04-19-2011, 03:15 PM
I would most likely not want to trade down from #9. If we managed to snag Robert Quinn or AJ Green I would jump for joy. I wouldn't mind getting Tyron or Aldon Smith there either honestly.

It seems like too often by 25 the only guys left are DTs or OTs who don't belong in the first round but continue to be mocked there. Unless Mebane leaves our starting line is pretty solid and while we need depth, I don't think a backup for Cole, Mebane, or Bryant is where we need to go with our first round pick. If we could get Quinn or Smith I think it would be worth using more traditional 4-3 looks on running downs and we could do some 3-4 looks on passing downs because I think either one of those guys could play OLB and I know Clemons could.

They could have the Steel Curtain up front and they arent going anywhere till they get their QB situation straightened out and i dont mean by bringing back Hasselbeck.

Caulibflower
04-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I think I've swung back to wishing for Brandon Harris. I'm starting to be more and more convinced that any QB who's going to be available at #25 is a guy who's going to be a reach at #25. Take the solid DB. It's a need, and Harris would be a good value pick as well. And he bats balls into the air all the time, which is the way Earl Thomas likes it.

Babylon
04-24-2011, 12:14 PM
I think I've swung back to wishing for Brandon Harris. I'm starting to be more and more convinced that any QB who's going to be available at #25 is a guy who's going to be a reach at #25. Take the solid DB. It's a need, and Harris would be a good value pick as well. And he bats balls into the air all the time, which is the way Earl Thomas likes it.

Not that familiar with Harris but i think corner is a major need. I'd even look at OT if one of the better ones were there at 25. the thing with the QBs is unless it's Locker or Mallett anything we take is probably reaching on a second round pick. Might as well just take one with their second and at that point it could be Kaepernick or Dalton and that is a realistic spot for those guys.

Caulibflower
04-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Final ([semi]realistic) first-round wish list:

1. Jake Locker
2. Cameron Jordan (Fully expect him to be gone.)
3. Brandon Harris
4. Greg Little (Not a need, per se, and most might call it a reach, but I've definitely got a first-round grade on him and we need some playmakers. He'd be a BPA pick.)
5. Gabe Carimi (He's a solid run-blocking RT, and that's what we need.)

summond822
04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
It is interesting the difference of opinions that we have. My feelings on your list:

Locker and Jordan will be long gone in my opinion.

I personally feel that Brandon Harris is overrated. I'd take him early second, but I have serious doubts about him ever turning into a franchise CB.

If you have a 1st round grade on Little thats great, but I think with the year off from football, I have serious doubts that he will go in the first. More likely a player we pick up in the second or third. Concerns about maturity are probably valid, which could make him available in the 3rd. At that point he becomes a steal if he turns out and nothing if he doesn't.

I actually like Carimi a lot. I think he could end up on the left side, but I kind of feel like we'd spend that pick on an OG or DT/DE before we spent it on a RT. I also think that there is a chance that he is gone depending on if there is a run on OT's somewhere in the draft.

I feel like the best option that Hawks have is to move back into the early second, pick up an extra third, and draft Kaepernick.

My QB rankings actually go like this:

Tier 1 (Most likely to succeed): Gabbert, Locker, Mallet
Tier 2 (Boom or Bust): Newton, Kaepernick
Tier 3 (Don't touch until R4): Ponder (he would be tier 2 if I didn't think he'd get injured if you blew on him), Stanzi, Dalton

Where I think Gabbert is at worst a career backup, Mallet is just too good to bust, Locker I'm 50/50 on if he's going to bust, it depends on what situation he gets put into. His work ethic and attitude are really the things that make me think he'll be a success though.

My other thought is that Newton is going to start to bust and then become David Garrard-ish. He likes being in the spotlight too much to completely bust.

summond822
04-27-2011, 11:30 PM
So, I'm hearing that the Seahawks are interested in trading for Carson Palmer. From multiple sources it sounds like they could get him for a 5th and a conditional (likely 3rd) and that a deal is already in place, or at least has been talked about.

I think the thing that drove the price down was Palmer saying that he would only negotiate with Seattle.

I am all for this move and then drafting a young QB to sit behind Palmer for a couple of years and really groom them for being the QB of the future. Since we're less than a day away from the draft, might as well put it in the draft thread.

How do you think this affects the Seahawks draft and what is your opinion on this?

Caulibflower
04-28-2011, 03:16 AM
I don't know if Brandon Harris is a "franchise CB," but besides Nnamdi and Revis... who really is, you know? I just see him as a solid player in our secondary. I like that he tackles and bats a lot of balls. I still think he'd have some problems trying to cover Larry Fitzgerald. But I like the way he plays.

And to get Carson Palmer for a little more than we traded for Whitehurst... yeah. Let's do that. That sounds a hell of a lot better to me than drafting Mallett or Ponder or someone.

Basically, and I'll just say it again, I think at #25, with all our needs, we just ought to go BPA. I know we need O-linemen, I know we need D-lineman... but we can't fix it all at once. What we really, really need are some standout players at any position.

And Harris, Little and Carimi weren't really in a specific order, I'd be ok with any of them.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Alright guys, it's gonna start soon. Here's hoping we don't completely **** this draft up! lol

gpngc
04-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Harris isn't being mocked in the first by the best insiders. I doubt we consider him at #25.

I think we'll move. Probably down but possibly up.

I think we'll take a long, long look at Da'Quan Bowers if he falls.

I really have NO IDEA. There are so many possibilities I can't even come up with a list.

My final mock has us taking Ras-I Dowling. I guess I'll stick to that.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
are you ******* kidding me? why did we not take bowers? fuckkkkkkkkk

Cicero
04-28-2011, 10:24 PM
Who wants to tie a cinder block to their leg and jump into Lake Washington with me?

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Who wants to tie a cinder block to their leg and jump into Lake Washington with me?

I'm right there with you man. What a terrible pick, such a reach.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Welp. Hopefully tomorow will be better.

summond822
04-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I doubt he is an OT for us. I think they slide him into one of the G positions and he starts for us from day 1. Not a flashy pick, but he is someone who will come in and make an immediate improvement in the run game.

And the Seahawks are not the only ones to pass on Bowers. The fact that he fell all the way out of the 1st should tell you how serious his injury is.

I think the early run on QB's really screwed them over since no one wanted to move up into the late 1st. I mean the only team to move was NO for Ingram. Not a lot of options there.

gpngc
04-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I think two things upset us.

#1 - we were clearly trying to trade down and couldn't. That sucks. Bad, bad job. We didn't buzz the pick up enough. I fear the Saints weren't talking to us because they were mad WE SPANKED THEM.

#2 - The last time we took an interior OL in the first round we were told he was a sure thing and he was not only a bad use of a first rounder but was not good at all for a position of such little value. Now we are expected to embrace a guy at the same position who is NOT being billed as a "sure 10-year starting center"? It's tough for us to do that.

The fact is, we don't know. This kid could form a Jones-Hutch-like left side with Okung. We needed to build the OL. He's clearly talented. It's not sexy, it's not fun, but it's the type of pick we needed to make. I'm fine with the player and I'm hopeful he'll contribute for many years at guard.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Just found out bower's injury is more serious than I knew it to be. My apologies. But I still think it was a bit of reach. However, if he can be solid for 10+ years i'll be fine.

summond822
04-28-2011, 11:07 PM
I just heard that Carpenter was rated higher than Carimi and Sherrod on the Packers boards.

He can also either play RT or LG. I personally see Carpenter as the LG for the next 5-10 years.

Also, I would still rather have Chris Spencer as our starting center over Max Unger. Unger is just too small to handle NT. He gets pushed around at G, whats going to happen when he has the NT right over the ball.

And I think the reason we couldn't trade down is that there was no one who was a great value pick. None of the QB's left were rated as 1st rounders. The elite DL men were gone. The only impact player left was Ingram and Smith. No one was going to trade up for Jimmy Smith, too much baggage. Ingram is a RB, if he falls to a more affordable position great, if not he's just another RB.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
hopefully we address corner today

gpngc
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
hopefully we address corner today

Two names to think about: Aqib Talib and Janoris Jenkins.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't mind getting dowling though.

Babylon
04-28-2011, 11:56 PM

My guess is if they wanted a knucklehead they would have taken Jimmy Smith. The two you mentioned are not worth the trouble.

HawkEye30
04-28-2011, 11:58 PM

Were you trying to say that any corner we take will end up like them or that you want us to go after one of them?

gpngc
04-28-2011, 11:58 PM
My guess is if they wanted a knucklehead they would have taken Jimmy Smith. The two you mentioned are not worth the trouble.

They'd both be ridiculously cheap for their talent. A 4th at most for Jenkins and no one is going to pay Talib what he's worth on the field.

There's really no risk in going after both of them and hoping one sticks. Carroll's a great influence on problem guys...

gpngc
04-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Also consider Nnamdi. We could pay him probably more than any other team (Paul Allen's wallet, the fact that a good amount of $ will likely be coming off the books with Hasselbeck, Locklear, Spencer, etc.)...

HawkEye30
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
They'd both be ridiculously cheap for their talent. A 4th at most for Jenkins and no one is going to pay Talib what he's worth on the field.

There's really no risk in going after both of them and hoping one sticks. Carroll's a great influence on problem guys...

Eh but is it really worth the risk for such a young/rebuilding team?

gpngc
04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Eh but is it really worth the risk for such a young/rebuilding team?

What's the risk? That they infect the locker room? These are grown professional athletes. If the guys are that bad, we cut them. TB loved Talib as a player and teammate. Then he shot someone. I'm willing to *risk* maybe triple the minimum salary to find out if he won't go out and shoot someone as a Seahawk.

As for Jenkins, he's clearly an idiot but again we are risking a late-round pick... You're never finding CBs with that kind of talent in the 5th or 6th round...

If you can't tell, I'm all for *risking* with red-flagged players. I think if your team has a good foundation and support system you can work to help keep those young men on the field and in great shape. I never understood how D-Jax fell to the late second round...

HawkEye30
04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Personally I wouldn't do it. But that's because I don't think that Talib is that great.

summond822
04-29-2011, 12:39 AM
If they do sign Talib, he is going to have to fit into Carrol's way of doing things or he is gone. Same thing that happened to LenDale White last year. If they can bring him in on a low risk contract then do it, if he isn't working cut him.

I doubt they spend a draft pick on Jenkins, mainly because i don't think that this front office is going to work that way. It's one thing to take on a rehabilitation project when that project has already been a pro. It's another thing to risk a potential draft pick for someone who already has issues.

shady00
04-29-2011, 01:26 AM
Carpenter is going to be a solid lineman for years to come. He's big, powerful, and great with his hands. Sure, he's not a big name and was projected to go a little later than 25; he could have been had after a trade-down picking up an extra selection or two in the process. At the end of the day, however, you got yourself a guy who--along with Unger--is going to bolster that interior line making your backs that much more dangerous. A reach, yes. A bust? Not likely.

asdf1223
04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/wrf14/wha.jpg
I'll prolly rock this as a sig for a while. Sigh. Still cant come to terms with the pick.

Caulibflower
04-29-2011, 02:17 AM
Might be exposing my ignorance, but I didn't know who James Carpenter was.

Also, Cameron Jordan getting picked the spot before us killed me.

HawkEye30
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Might be exposing my ignorance, but I didn't know who James Carpenter was.

Also, Cameron Jordan getting picked the spot before us killed me.

Lol I agree with both of these statements.

Caulibflower
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Carson Palmer to Mike Williams could be a good combo for awhile. I'm totally open to bringing in Aqib Talib as well. Both proven veterans who'll come pretty cheap.

Caulibflower
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Who are you guys hoping for today? Kaepernick or Dalton probably won't last. Brandon Harris probably won't last. Marvin Austin? Aaron Williams? Ryan Mallett? Greg Little? I'd be happy with any of those guys if they make it to #57.

summond822
04-29-2011, 01:38 PM
If Kaepernick is there I think we take him. I really, really, really hope we don't take Dalton.

I've heard Mallet isn't on their draft board, but if he does fall, eventually he becomes too much of a value to pass on.

I have no idea who is going to be there, so outside of Kaepernick I am just hoping that they take someone who can come in and be valuable at DT, DE, or CB. I just don't think any of the remaining QB's are worth a 2nd-3rd round pick outside of Kaepernick and Mallett.

Caulibflower
04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
I think Mallett goes in the first few picks today. That said, I prefer Kaepernick. And for what it's worth, I prefer Dalton to Ponder. And I don't know what that's worth. That Vikings pick was weird. My reaction was to yell, "Hooooly ****!"

gpngc
04-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Ras-I Dowling is who I want. I also like Randall Cobb a lot but WR is unlikely I think. Marvin Austin or Jurrell Casey wouldn't surprise me. I have faith that we'll put together a good draft which will allow you all to come to terms with the first pick better.

The pick reaction kind of reminds me of the way the Logan Mankins pick was received...

summond822
04-29-2011, 04:16 PM
You mean everyone hating it and thinking it was a reach?

I'm not so sure that he is going to play at LG anymore. It sounds more like they want him to be the RT according to the interviews from Carrol and Schneider last night.

Still, I have heard that a couple of teams (Bears and Packers notably) had Carpenter higher than Carimi and Sherrod on their boards and were going to take him but the Seahawks grabbed him instead.

I only mention that because several people have said he was a reach and that Carimi was a better choice at that spot. I think Carpenter's versatility is really what the Seahawks value about him. If we didn't already have Okung, I would say that he could be the LT of the future for us from watching some tape.

gpngc
04-29-2011, 04:20 PM
^Agree with everything you said there. IIRC, you're always pretty optimistic and sometimes we've disagreed. This time, I'm with ya. I'm not blasting this pick because the internet had him ranked in the 50s and he's an OT. It's a week draft and we needed help at RT/OG. I'm fine with it.

And yes, they view him as a RT. I incorrectly thought he'd start at OG initially. Still, he could probably play inside. In any case, he's probably the best run-blocker on our roster right now which is sad but gives us some hope.

summond822
04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
When I saw the selection I didn't really know what to make of it. I mean yes it felt like a reach at the time, but then I started thinking about it.

1) They couldn't pull off the trade that they wanted.
2) They didn't reach for a flashy prospect with significant question marks (Jimmy Smith, Da'Quon Bowers)
3) They stuck to their draft board.

That process just shows me they believe in their grades and I'm not going to judge them after only 1 year, where it seems like they got some great value at spots.

I mean everyone who has trashed the pick has had to come back and say, "Well I don't think he will bust, but "blah" was a better option."

Bottom line is, if you draft a player in the first round and they are your starter from day 1 for the next 5-10 years, that is a successful draft pick. If a player is taken in the 1st, they need to be a starter. It is much easier to justify taking risks later in the draft where the rate of success is nowhere near as high.

Carpenter will be a successful draft pick for us at either RT or G if he has to slide inside, barring injuries.

Our running game just got loads better and our passing game should improve also. Now if we go out and trade for Carson Palmer, I love this pick x100. It gets us back in the playoffs this year as a legitimate playoff team.

I am just hoping that Schneider and Carroll keep adding talent through the draft and going about this the right way.

HawkEye30
04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't mind getting aaron williams, thats who I'm hoping we get.

HawkEye30
04-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Sweeet. No 2nd round pick. And all we did was switch with the lions in the other rounds, right?

summond822
04-29-2011, 09:12 PM
I can't be too upset about trading down. Moffitt just goes to show that they are serious about getting a running game going this year. Another player that will likely step in from day 1 and be a starter.

I'd say that this pick pretty much guarantees that they won't be bringing Chris Spencer back. After all Moffitt did some work at center at the Senior Bowl iirc.

I was hoping that they would use some of their picks to move back into the third and grab Brandon Burton, but it is kind of looking like he could be there when they pick 2nd tomorrow.

Caulibflower
04-30-2011, 02:08 AM
Moffitt's the nasty mauler we've been lacking in the run game. I like that pick. Hopefully we can pick up some speed tomorrow.

...MARIO ADDISOOOOOOOON!!!

At this point, I wouldn't mind taking Marcus Cannon, either, even though we've already picked two linemen. Our line needs a complete overhaul.

I like Sam Acho a lot, too, and Edmund Gates could give us a spark.

Caulibflower
04-30-2011, 02:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Christian Ballard is still available, too. I might consider him a bit of a consolation for missing on Cameron Jordan. Base end.

I'm going through the tracker, listing guys still available that I like:

Greg Salas
Jacquizz Rodgers
Wouldn't be horrified if we picked Ricky Stanzi or Tyrod Taylor
Derrick Locke
Robert Sands, but we took Kam Chancellor last year, and they're really similar.
Delone Carter
Charles Clay
Darvin Adams
Greg Jones
Denarious Moore

summond822
04-30-2011, 09:19 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick up Ballard with one of our first 2 picks today.

Som players I still like:
Ballard
Brandon Burton
Ricky Stanzi
Kendric Burney
Sam Acho
Jalil Brown
Greg Romeus
Cecil Shorts
Tyrod Taylor

summond822
04-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I think K.J. Wright is insurance in case the Hawks can't resign Raheem Brock. Everyone is saying that he is a OLB, but when I look at his size and then I look at Clemons, they are almost identical. I think he could put on some weight and probably not lose any steps. LEO depth or actual LB depth, unsure as of now.

Durham I feel is a reach. I understand that they like him and that he could come in immediately as a rookie in red zone situations but he just looks too skinny.

Cicero
04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I really wish we would have taken Gates over Durham. That one kind of hurt me. Sherman was a pretty good pick, but outside of him and Moffit (who was a solid value there) I have a really hard time getting excited about this draft. I was in love with almost everything we did last year while I'm sitting here scratching my head about the moves we made this year.

I also really wished we would have traded down and got a 2012 first and a 2nd for #25. It would have been really nice to have some more ammo to go get a QB next year.

HawkEye30
04-30-2011, 08:43 PM
I really wish we would have taken Gates over Durham. That one kind of hurt me. Sherman was a pretty good pick, but outside of him and Moffit (who was a solid value there) I have a really hard time getting excited about this draft. I was in love with almost everything we did last year while I'm sitting here scratching my head about the moves we made this year.

I also really wished we would have traded down and got a 2012 first and a 2nd for #25. It would have been really nice to have some more ammo to go get a QB next year.

I'd have to agree with you here. I think this draft kinda sucked in general, last years was just so much more exciting.

Babylon
04-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Tough draft where they were picking but i'll give them credit for focusing on an area of need. I thought Carpenter and Moffitt went a round too early but if they can start for 10 years who cares. I'd probably give them a C+.

summond822
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
As I was watching this draft I couldn't help but feel like the Seahawks were screwed from their very first pick when they couldn't trade down. It just kind of felt like this draft lacked a lot of talent in positions of need for the Hawks once they were actually able to start picking.

Given that, I feel like they did a pretty good job of finding starters (Carpenter, Moffitt).

While I do think that Durham was a reach he's a 6'5 WR that runs a 4.4-4.5 40 and had 18 of his 32 catches when A.J. Green wasn't eligible. That pick screams upside to me.

The rest of this draft was spent on improving the talent/size of our secondary (2 6'+ press CB and 1 ball-hawking S) and our OLB/LEO position depth (K.J. Wright & Malcolm Smith)

I think that the 7th round pick (Levingston?) is depth behind Red Bryant, but I have serious doubts that he develops into anything other than emergency depth.

It also isn't fair to compare this draft to last years. Last year there was a ton of underclassmen who declared that improved the quality of that draft, this year the depth was nowhere near as high.

I understand the frustration about the draft, but I feel like they got two solid starters from this draft. I once heard that if you can get 2 starters from a draft that draft is a success.

So while I can't give them an A for some of their reaches, the work that they did in this draft is at least a solid B

Cicero
04-30-2011, 10:42 PM
As I was watching this draft I couldn't help but feel like the Seahawks were screwed from their very first pick when they couldn't trade down. It just kind of felt like this draft lacked a lot of talent in positions of need for the Hawks once they were actually able to start picking.

Given that, I feel like they did a pretty good job of finding starters (Carpenter, Moffitt).

While I do think that Durham was a reach he's a 6'5 WR that runs a 4.4-4.5 40 and had 18 of his 32 catches when A.J. Green wasn't eligible. That pick screams upside to me.

The rest of this draft was spent on improving the talent/size of our secondary (2 6'+ press CB and 1 ball-hawking S) and our OLB/LEO position depth (K.J. Wright & Malcolm Smith)

I think that the 7th round pick (Levingston?) is depth behind Red Bryant, but I have serious doubts that he develops into anything other than emergency depth.

It also isn't fair to compare this draft to last years. Last year there was a ton of underclassmen who declared that improved the quality of that draft, this year the depth was nowhere near as high.

I understand the frustration about the draft, but I feel like they got two solid starters from this draft. I once heard that if you can get 2 starters from a draft that draft is a success.

So while I can't give them an A for some of their reaches, the work that they did in this draft is at least a solid B

They definitely could have traded down. Pete said on Twitter that he had FIVE offers on the table.

summond822
04-30-2011, 10:54 PM
And yet none of them were what they wanted. Part of the problem was that they admitted that they wanted to trade down (twice publicly iirc). It is one thing to "leak" that you are looking to trade down, it is another to publically state it.

It is just like when you are selling something. If there is a perception that you are in a rush to sell something, you are not going to get the best offer available.

I think the Seahawks wanted an early 2nd and a 3rd. That wasn't happening so they decided to take the top guy on their board.

Cicero
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
And yet none of them were what they wanted. Part of the problem was that they admitted that they wanted to trade down (twice publicly iirc). It is one thing to "leak" that you are looking to trade down, it is another to publically state it.

It is just like when you are selling something. If there is a perception that you are in a rush to sell something, you are not going to get the best offer available.

I think the Seahawks wanted an early 2nd and a 3rd. That wasn't happening so they decided to take the top guy on their board.

The Saints gave up a 2012 first and their second rounder to get Ingram from the Pats. I have to assume that offer was on the table for us as we had a higher pick and I'm sure they were at least slightly concerned about the Patriots taking him. I'm not buying that they didn't have a good offer on the table at all.

gpngc
04-30-2011, 11:45 PM
^ I don't get that either. Unless we declined them because we only wanted to get into the 40ish range (so we couldstill get Carpenter).

gpngc
04-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Anyway, I do a big write-up every year on the forum and I'll give us a grade then but it's tough to be excited about a class headlined by a RT and OG.

This will not be a well-received draft by the draftniks and "experts" but that doesn't matter. I honestly don't know what the **** we were thinking after the two OL but I'm hoping for the best.

The DBs we added all have size, speed, and potential and Wright could be a good player.

As for Durham, I dislike WR prospects who don't have great production but I do acknowledge his upside. Taking a prospect with about 50 career catches in the 4th round is something I just can't endorse but I hope he proves me wrong.

As a franchise, we are at a crossroads and I'm glad we didn't make a rash decision and invest in a flawed young QB. Hopefully we'll give Whitehurst a chance and if he crashes and burns (which is what EVERYONE is predicting), we'll maybe have a shot at Luck or another QB next year. The other option is Kolb, who we've been linked to recently. I'd rather not, but I wouldn't be furious if we got him. Unfortunately for us, the Rams and 49ers are about to get really good so finding a QB is essential.

Caulibflower
05-01-2011, 02:05 AM
I was thinking, watching this draft, that by beating the Saints and thus ensuring that we weren't going to get better through the draft this year, we might very well be in position to take Andrew Luck next April.

Also, I actually like the Durham pick a lot. He gives our offense something it didn't have: a tall target who can get deep fast and make contested catches. He's a pure deep threat.

Babylon
05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I was thinking, watching this draft, that by beating the Saints and thus ensuring that we weren't going to get better through the draft this year, we might very well be in position to take Andrew Luck next April.

Also, I actually like the Durham pick a lot. He gives our offense something it didn't have: a tall target who can get deep fast and make contested catches. He's a pure deep threat.

You arent the only one thinking the Seahawks may be right up there for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes as more than one early 2012 mock i've seen has them picking first.

If they somehow pull that coup off i'm going to consider Pete Carroll a genius, albeit through no fault of his own.

HawkEye30
05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
I'm slowly starting to warm up to these picks, I just really hope that these guys are good or we really ****** ourselves. And we definitely need qb of the future. Whitehurst won't do it and I don't even know who are 3rd qb is. We definitely need to pick one of the top guys next year.

summond822
05-04-2011, 01:24 PM
We only have one QB on the roster at the moment. From the sounds of it, Schneider said that they "have a plan for QB, we just can't execute it right now."

Which means they are either trading or signing a FA QB.

We still need to address the position in the draft next year, preferably early on. I don't think Andrew Luck comes into play though. We won't be able to be that bad in the NFC West unless half the starters just go down with freak injuries.

Babylon
05-04-2011, 05:49 PM
We only have one QB on the roster at the moment. From the sounds of it, Schneider said that they "have a plan for QB, we just can't execute it right now."

Which means they are either trading or signing a FA QB.

We still need to address the position in the draft next year, preferably early on. I don't think Andrew Luck comes into play though. We won't be able to be that bad in the NFC West unless half the starters just go down with freak injuries.

If the longterm plan is Kolb i'll be pissed. I think they need to bring in a Palmer and let him play a few years while they groom the heir apparent.

Caulibflower
05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
I'd be pretty pissed about Kolb, too, mostly because of how much we'd have to pay to get him. I'm really hoping we can pry Palmer away from Cincinnati. I'd rather sign Alex Smith to a free-agent contract than trade anything more than a fourth-rounder for Kevin Kolb.

HawkEye30
05-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Honestly I really don't get the hype with Palmer and why everyone wants him so bad. Personally I wouldn't take Palmer over a hot Matt Hasslebeck or even an average Matt Hasselbeck.

asdf1223
05-04-2011, 08:16 PM
The problem is we haven't seen Hot Hasselbeck or average Beck consistently since 2007. Resigning Hasselbeck made sense if they drafted a guy whom they could develop but they didnt and I would much rather see them get a guy who can start at a high level for atleast 3-4 years. Palmer and Kolb give them that chance, Beck doesnt. I would much rather see them sink or swim with Whitehurst and draft a QB high next year but "Win Forever" means they wont and they'll do stuff like drafting a G/T guy in the first round.