PDA

View Full Version : Who is the #1 OT in the Draft?

JohnCandy
09-23-2010, 02:25 PM
This OT class seems to be wide open, without a dominant can't miss prospect who is the top prospect?

Who are the 1st round OTs in this draft?

1. Anthony Costanzo, does he have the size? Is he an average RT like most Boston College OLmen?

2. Joseph Barksdale, so many people have him ranked lower?

3. Derek Sherrod, no one knows who he is? Is he a RT or an OG?

4. DeMarcus Love, serious questions about his footwork?

5. Gabe Carimi, some people have him ranked as a top 10 pick, some as a 3rd?

Don Vito
09-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Castonzo is most definitely a LT, as is Sherrod. Castonzo is #1 for me right now, he needs to bulk up a little more but he has the frame and all the tools to be a franchise LT. Probably the most complete gifted BC OL we have seen in a while, not just a road grader like many of them.

princefielder28
09-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Costanzo is #1 for me currently but Sherrod is closing in pretty quickly

Scott Wright
09-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Barksdale doesn't belong on that list. He is a mid-to-late rounder.

Babylon
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
The guy that has got my attention is Matt Reynolds of BYU, he's a big guy at around 6-6 and 330, plays on the left side and looks much improved over last year. Who knows how old he is? , that could be a factor. I've also been high on Clint Boling of Georgia for awhile.

If it's a guard, David DeCastro of Stanford to me is clearly the best out there.

TACKLE
09-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Costanzo for sure and then there is a drop off after him. The guy I'd put at #2 is Tyron Smith from USC though I doubt he declares.

Babylon
09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
The guy that has got my attention is Matt Reynolds of BYU, he's a big guy at around 6-6 and 330, plays on the left side and looks much improved over last year. Who knows how old he is? , that could be a factor. I've also been high on Clint Boling of Georgia for awhile.

If it's a guard, David DeCastro of Stanford to me is clearly the best out there.

C would be Kris Odowd of USC, Mike Brewster of OSU, Mike Pouncey(G), UF

villagewarrior
09-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I really like watching Sherrod play. He looks tough and physical. I think he might look better at right tackle, but I haven't seen enough to judge for sure.

Werowance
09-23-2010, 04:58 PM
1. Sherrod
2. Love
3. Costanzo

Mr.Regular
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
1. Sherrod
2. Love
3. Costanzo
Not sure on the order you have, but those look like the top 3 guys for now. No one has set themselves apart from the others.
This is a really, really weak OT class. We've been spoiled the past bunch of years with good groups, but this year is awful.

Werowance
09-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Not sure on the order you have, but those look like the top 3 guys for now. No one has set themselves apart from the others.
This is a really, really weak OT class. We've been spoiled the past bunch of years with good groups, but this year is awful.

Well I think that Derrick Sherrod is clearly the #1 tackle, he is athletic, powerful, smooth in pass protection and physical in the run game. I think that Love is the #2 because he is more gifted than Costanzo, significantly more powerful than Costanzo, has much more versatility and he has much higher potential IMO. Costanzo IMO is a mechanical guy who can be bull rushed, he isn't powerful and he lacks upside, he is just an above average left tackle in the NFL at best IMO sort of like a taller and weaker Jordan Gross.

RealityCheck
09-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Castonzo, followed by Solder and Carimi.

Sherrod is climbing my board pretty quickly, though.

K Train
09-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I think costanzo is the clear #1, even though i really really like loves potential

dannyz
09-23-2010, 08:16 PM
What about Nate Potter?

cajuncorey
09-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Nate Solder is the most talented... but i think hes going to fall like bruce campbell

TheMorningZoo
09-23-2010, 09:37 PM
IMO Castonzo is... He started as BC as a true frosh, and has anchored the left side and never looked back. Carimi has a lot of hype, and while I do think he will be a solid NFL Prospect, I don't know if he is a franchise LEFT Tackle. Some believe his technique deficiencies (lack of knee bend, agility, etc.) will make him a pure RT / G. I think he can still pan out, same questions were out there about Jake Long (granted he was one hell of a prospect).

Onto Solder... Totally overrated, yeah he has freak physical attributes, but the tape doesn't lie. I think a team in the 2nd or 3rd will take him purely based off potential, but don't be surprised if he doesn't make it.

BeerBaron
09-23-2010, 10:21 PM
I don't think there is a single "franchise" LT in this class. We've been really spoiled the last couple of draft classes with the talent available there.

09-23-2010, 10:27 PM
People are all over the board, which pretty much sums up the pathetic class that it is.

As for me,

1. a) Sherrod
b) Costanzo
2. Carimi
3. Love

Poz51
09-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Barksdale doesn't belong on that list. He is a mid-to-late rounder.

IMO and as a LSU fan he is the most over rated tackle prospect in the country, he plays high, although he is capable in the knee bending department, I question his technique and think he relies on his athleticism too much, his feel for the game is also limited, and I question his passion and tenacity. Reminds me of Alex Barron alot...

People are all over the board, which pretty much sums up the pathetic class that it is.

I agree, we truely have been spoiled, this class seems to be alot of late first, and second/mid round potential types, most needing to get stronger and improve technique. I keep seeing, hearing and reading about most of this classes potential is at right tackle. Certainly no consensus regarding the top two or three, alot of questions about the ability to play LT in the NFL...

Personally I am a Lee Ziemba guy, consistant production no matter the coach or system, has started since his freshman year, effort is 110% all the time, sound technique and takes good angles, good in the run game, and keeps his QB's clean. Weaknesses include penalties (which his Oline coach has acknowledged, but noted some have been wrongly called on Ziemba), and his ability to hold the edge and handle speed rushers is in question, and he can answer some of the questions regarding him against Cliff Matthews this week, and if he does so on a injured leg I think his stock moves up.

K Train
09-24-2010, 11:28 AM
barskdale is being first round projected just like ciron black....i would expect the draft day plummet to be similar as well

Day One Pick
09-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Gabe Carimi is hands down the most talented OT prospect in this class. Hence the phrase "most talented," because he has some beat up knees. For my money though, knees and all he's also the top OT prospect. Top 15 pick. It may take some time to see an OT come off the board.

BeerBaron
09-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Gabe Carimi is hands down the most talented OT prospect in this class. Hence the phrase "most talented," because he has some beat up knees. For my money though, knees and all he's also the top OT prospect. Top 15 pick. It may take some time to see an OT come off the board.

I don't buy him as a franchise, blind-side protecting LT in the pros though. I think he's a solid first rounder as a RT ala Gosder Cherlius a few years ago. Probably in the middle of the round somewhere to maybe a team like Dallas....replace Colombo and keep Barron off the field at all costs. My Bears could use a good RT as well.

Day One Pick
09-24-2010, 09:17 PM
What about Nate Potter?

He's probably a guard in the NFL. He's not the prospect I expected going into the season. I've watched him closely so far, let's just say he's no Ryan Clady.

At best with some more development, a poor man's Sam Baker.

Halsey
09-24-2010, 09:18 PM
Is anyone emerging as the potential 'Anthony Davis' of the 2011 Draft. Nobody was talking much about Davis a year ago, but he ended up being the 3rd OT drafted.

Werowance
09-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Is anyone emerging as the potential 'Anthony Davis' of the 2011 Draft. Nobody was talking much about Davis a year ago, but he ended up being the 3rd OT drafted.

The potential Anthony Davis is DeMarcus Love. I'm telling you guys, watch out for Love (:/) because he is the most talented offensive line prospect in the country. He has the same build and skills as Anthony Davis had, he has the raw talent reminiscent of another once dominant Arkansas lineman, Shawn Andrews. Love really really reminds me of Tarik Glenn. People are sleeping on Love but the guy has the potential to play 4 spots on the offensive line at an all-pro level, he has all the tools to be great in the NFL.

SenorGato
09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Castonzo is most definitely a LT, as is Sherrod. Castonzo is #1 for me right now, he needs to bulk up a little more but he has the frame and all the tools to be a franchise LT. Probably the most complete gifted BC OL we have seen in a while, not just a road grader like many of them.

A BC OL who can play LT? Word? I'll take two. Damn you, there's only one !? I'll take it.

That's what I'd say if the Jets need a LT. Instead, I'm kind of rooting for the Giants to take him. They love BC OL as much as any team in the league. He's the best prospect they're sending out since Cherilus, and he's better than Cherilus. He's probably the best LT prospect from BC ever. That'll read like hyperbole, but I only say it because it seems close to true.

Don Vito
09-25-2010, 02:04 AM
He's definitely more complete than Cherilus, Gosder was a pure RT prospect. Castonzo isn't Joe Thomas or Jake Long but he has the ability to be a very good LT for a team for a very long time, I'm a Pats fan so I my view on him may be skewed but I see Castonzo as a rich man's Matt Light.

ryno626
09-25-2010, 11:27 AM
He's definitely more complete than Cherilus, Gosder was a pure RT prospect. Castonzo isn't Joe Thomas or Jake Long but he has the ability to be a very good LT for a team for a very long time, I'm a Pats fan so I my view on him may be skewed but I see Castonzo as a rich man's Matt Light.

I've never seen the kid play but would you view him as Light's replacement or would they kick Seabass over to LT and put Castonzo in at RT?

Razor
09-25-2010, 11:41 AM
I've never seen the kid play but would you view him as Light's replacement or would they kick Seabass over to LT and put Castonzo in at RT?

No way that I could imagine BB starting a rookie at LT (unless it's because of injuries like last year with Seabass). Seabass shows a lot of promise and could be a dominant LT imo. The Patriots' blocking scheme suits him perfectly, and he has that nasty demeanor that everybody wants in their LT. Seabass just goes out and kill people...

BeerBaron
09-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Castonzo hasn't looked especially good vs. VT in what I've seen today. He's gotten pushed around a few times and he looks to have big, heavy, slow feet. Not sure what I see here says NFL LT to me.

Razor
09-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't like him as a LT either, but I think h could be a very, very good RT in the NFL.

Babylon
09-25-2010, 01:01 PM
It'll be interesting to see how DeMarcus Love of Arkansas matches up against the Bama front line.

Babylon
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Castonzo hasn't looked especially good vs. VT in what I've seen today. He's gotten pushed around a few times and he looks to have big, heavy, slow feet. Not sure what I see here says NFL LT to me.

How does Herzlich look because he sounds slow.

BeerBaron
09-25-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't like him as a LT either, but I think h could be a very, very good RT in the NFL.

Agreed. It scares me a bit that he is being called by some as the best LT in the class....if that's the case, then this class may be even worse than I thought.

LizardState
09-25-2010, 02:32 PM

C would be Kris Odowd of USC, Mike Brewster of OSU, Mike Pouncey(G), UF

Reynolds has been on my radar for about 2 yrs now. IDK, will he go on an LDS mission or into the draft?

Costanzo is The Man in this draft class, top 10 pick if he stays healthy.

With all the OL suckage in the NFL in September this yr, & that McNeill will be too expensive a pricetag for trading this season, & despite the fact that rookies often suck on the OL b/c it takes 2-3 yrs to even minimally train one in the same system at the pro level OTs look to be at a premium next April.

I'm thinking Justin Born from OSU will get a long look by teams looking for an OG like the 49ers where Chilo Rachal is on notice to perform or hit the bricks. Everybody on that Buckeye OL is 300+ lbs & is looking like the best OL in the BCS.

Sniper
09-25-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking Justin Born from OSU will get a long look by teams looking for an OG like the 49ers where Chilo Rachal is on notice to perform or hit the bricks. Everybody on that Buckeye OL is 300+ lbs & is looking like the best OL in the BCS.

Their tackles aren't all that. The interior of the OL, though, is extremely strong.

BeerBaron
09-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Not based off of what I saw today. Given, I was splitting my attention between that and Denardzz for a while, but like I said above, he looked like he had slow foot syndrome, and he also got pushed back from a bull rush a few times too.

I think we all need to face the music.....we've been really spoiled the last few draft classes with some excellent LT prospects....this year just doesn't have them.

Babylon
09-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Reynolds has been on my radar for about 2 yrs now. IDK, will he go on an LDS mission or into the draft?

With all the OL suckage in the NFL in September this yr, & that McNeill will be too expensive a pricetag for trading this season, & despite the fact that rookies often suck on the OL b/c it takes 2-3 yrs to even minimally train one in the same system at the pro level OTs look to be at a premium next April.

Reynolds went on his mission out of highschool, he's a junior now supposedly so it will be interesting to see if he comes out, undoubtedly he's older for his grade.

JohnCandy
09-25-2010, 05:55 PM
I just watched something very impressive from an OT in the Arkansas game,

OT DeMarcus Love switched sides throughout the game so that he was the uncovered tackle. He passed blocked all game with 0 help and was switching stances.

As a former OL and OL coach that is one of the most impressive things I have seen.

keylime_5
09-25-2010, 05:58 PM

Mike Adams has been great at left tackle surprisingly. He and Shugarts have NFL talent if they can polish their skills. Bryant Browning and Justin Boren I can all but guarantee will be first team all-big ten OGs. Believe it or not Mike Brewster might be the weak link on our OLine when we look back on this season, and as a pro prospect in the long run.

SenorGato
09-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Agreed. It scares me a bit that he is being called by some as the best LT in the class....if that's the case, then this class may be even worse than I thought.

It is a pretty mediocre LT class, but that's only because we just got hit with a 5 year stretch with these names:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Branden Albert (If he was drafted as a G he'd be the best G prospect of the decade...that said, he's still a pretty good young LT...probably the most underrated first round OL prospect of the last decade)
Ryan Clady
Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Andre Smith
Michael Oher

All of them are prototypes for the position too...

BeerBaron
09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
It is a pretty mediocre LT class, but that's only because we just got hit with a 5 year stretch with these names:

D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Branden Albert (If he was drafted as a G he'd be the best G prospect of the decade...that said, he's still a pretty good young LT...probably the most underrated first round OL prospect of the last decade)
Ryan Clady
Eugene Monroe
Jason Smith
Andre Smith
Michael Oher

All of them are prototypes for the position too...

Waaay ahead of ya. A few posts further down and:

I think we all need to face the music.....we've been really spoiled the last few draft classes with some excellent LT prospects....this year just doesn't have them.

Aloysius
09-26-2010, 12:28 AM
He struggled quite a bit with Steven Friday. The trend seems to be that Castonzo looks very good against decent speed rushers, but he can be beaten by guys who possess excellent explosiveness off the edge: Robert Quinn last year, Friday this afternoon.

Castonzo looks a bit stronger this year, but he's not a guy who's going to be elite in any aspect of his game. In this weak tackle class, he could be the #1 guy, but he isn't looking like a top ten pick.

JohnCandy
09-26-2010, 11:08 AM
DeMarcus Love is really showing me something, the fact that he plays LT and RT in the same game will only make him a more viable 1stg round option.

Babylon
09-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I thought Nate Potter of Boise State looked good. He's pretty fluid and has a pretty good punch.

JohnCandy
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought Nate Potter of Boise State looked good. He's pretty fluid and has a pretty good punch.

I am starting to reverse my feeling on Nate Solder from Colorado.

That size and athletic ability is ridiculous and his kick slide is there, but their are some technique issues.

I think there is more then enough to work with.

ToldLikeItIs
09-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Matt Reynolds.

keep an eye on Riley Reiff as well. Iowa LT.

Cicero
09-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Matt Reynolds.

keep an eye on Riley Reiff as well. Iowa LT.

Told isn't even being a homer here. Reiff has been pretty impressive every time I've watched him. I think he played better than Bulaga did against GT last year.

His play against VT was abysmal. He made Sam Young look like a first rounder that game.

BigBanger
09-29-2010, 06:35 AM
That size and athletic ability is ridiculous and his kick slide is there, but their are some technique issues.
Some of his technique problems are... his terrible kick slide. Some of his physical limitations... his terribly slow feet.

Guys, this is getting as bad as Selvish Capers or Ciron Black. He ******* sucks. You can literally, literally, just watch highlights of him posted on Youtube and see that. That should be convincing enough, to, at the very least, just not talk about him as the best OT in the draft. I don't how players continuously play like dogshit and people just blidnly say, "Yeah, he runs fast. He's athletic. Now, he might suck, but if he just fixes those technique issues... then he'll be the next Anthony Munoz." I might have hated Selvish Caper more than Jimmy Clausen last year. Nate Solder is starting to put himself in that same category.

Junior Year
J5DyDyVZO6U

Senior Year
R_VBKVmhyAo

Props to AloAloysius for the video. I'm going to positive rep for making these videos.

I would also say Matt Reynolds for lack of a better option.

TheMorningZoo
09-29-2010, 01:36 PM
^ I totally agree. Solder is getting the hype Bruce Campbell got (but Campbell basically got it from the Raiders) because of his "potential" and how athletic he is. Well, from what I have seen he lacks a kick slide, on the snap he is already turned and chasing the DE's and OLB's in addition to lacking any sort of punch. The just leans on them and tries to run them around the QB. However he does have the ability to get downfield and make blocks, and in a Zone concept like Houston runs he could be a potential better fit. Thing that gets me is everyone is hyping him up because he is a "freak", but he doesn't look overly athletic on the field (at least on passing downs)

JohnCandy
09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Here is a question that might be interesting.

Who would rather have one of the interior OL players in the 1st round then 1 of the OTs?

Would you rather have Rodney Hudson/Mike Pouncey or Anthony Costanzo/DeMarcus Love?

BeerBaron
09-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Depends on need and where I'm picking. For my Bears, a replacement at either G or C would be real nice, so I'd rather go that direction if I'm picking in the latter half of the round.

But if your a team who really needs a franchise LT type, you're most likely SOL this season. If you're in the top 10 and could trade back to pick up an extra pick and still get a Love or Castonzo (or Matt Reynolds) then that might be a nice way to go.

But it's really a down year for the OT position so I feel for the teams who'll be picking high and in need of one.

Babylon
09-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Told isn't even being a homer here. Reiff has been pretty impressive every time I've watched him. I think he played better than Bulaga did against GT last year.

His play against VT was abysmal. He made Sam Young look like a first rounder that game.

I remember early on him having some trouble with the speed rush but i thought he played much better as the game went on. Kellen Moore was pretty clean after that one so i'm not sure i'd say anyone up front was abysmal.

The OT crop is so average, i think, that i'm trying to find some nuggets out there and am having a hard time doing so.

BeerBaron
09-29-2010, 05:29 PM
I remember early on him having some trouble with the speed rush but i thought he played much better as the game went on. Kellen Moore was pretty clean after that one so i'm not sure i'd say anyone up front was abysmal.

The OT crop is so average, i think, that i'm trying to find some nuggets out there and am having a hard time doing so.

I can't remember, but if Potter had some struggles with Steven Friday, than that would make two of this draft's top tackles that Friday beat up cause he had his way with Costonzo in what I saw of that game. He'll be someone to watch.