PDA

View Full Version : Is Mississippi St. OT Derek Sherrod a 1st Round Pick?

JohnCandy
09-24-2010, 09:01 PM
The more and more college football and draft prep that I do he keeps coming up as a real player in a weak OT class.

After watching him play I cam away impressed with him. Where he does not have the most elite athletic ability ever, he moves well and looks strong and physical.

At 6'5" 310lbs. he looks like he could play either OT and perhaps OG with his physical play.

http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/15920090926027LSUatMississippiState.jpg

What are opinions of him?

Is he a solid or fringe 1st round pick?

Todd Bertuzzi
10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
The more I see, the more I begin to think he's the best senior tackle in this draft.

BeerBaron
10-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I like DeMarcus Love more personally, but I think Sherrod could be a fringe first rounder who moves up with good workouts in a weak class.

There are just soooo many bad o-lines and very few worthwhile early round tackles that some of these guys are inevitably going to get pushed up.

Todd Bertuzzi
10-12-2010, 11:50 PM
I like DeMarcus Love more personally, but I think Sherrod could be a fringe first rounder who moves up with good workouts in a weak class.

There are just soooo many bad o-lines and very few worthwhile early round tackles that some of these guys are inevitably going to get pushed up.

Love's my #2 atm, but I think he'd make a better guard at the next level.

It's unfortunate that this class is so weak though especially after the talent we've seen come out in recent years.

BeerBaron
10-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Love's my #2 atm, but I think he'd make a better guard at the next level.

It's unfortunate that this class is so weak though especially after the talent we've seen come out in recent years.

That's why I really like him to my Bears in the latter part of the first round. I think the team is definitely going to give Chris Williams more of a shot after this year, but any of the other spots are open and Love could play LG, RG or RT for us.

RaiderNation
10-13-2010, 12:00 AM
2nd best OT in the draft as of now IMO. Top 20 pick

Rosebud
10-13-2010, 12:58 AM
I'm a big fan of Sherrod's and want him to be a Giant after Round One. He's just such a well rounded prospect and reminds me a lot of a tougher Roger Saffold in that he isn't an elite LT prospect but he's a guy who can play on either side for you and do well in both the pass and run. That kind of well roundedness is always something I look for and Sherrod has it in spades. If the giants could snag him our OL would look so much better with him on the right if Beatty's a success and if Beatty busts we'd have him already waiting in house to take over at LT, add a healthy Snee and Diehl, a more adjusted Andrews, a more experience Koets and Petrus and possibly an FA and our OL would be in really good shape.

Grizzlegom
10-13-2010, 06:56 AM
2nd best OT in the draft as of now IMO. Top 20 pick

this. Although him and Love seem to swap on a weekly basis for me. I think both will end up going top 20 because of the way potential LTs are valued although neither would have gone top 20 in a lot of other drafts.

Poz51
10-13-2010, 07:53 AM
The more and more college football and draft prep that I do he keeps coming up as a real player in a weak OT class.
After watching him play I cam away impressed with him. Where he does not have the most elite athletic ability ever, he moves well and looks strong and physical.
At 6'5" 310lbs. he looks like he could play either OT and perhaps OG with his physical play.
What are opinions of him?
Is he a solid or fringe 1st round pick?

I am doing the same, and trying to focus in on the OL right now, and I agree alot with your assessment right now. He has long arms, has good strength, and I think does a very good job stoning people on the pass rush wether it be on the bull rush or speed rush. Wierd thought, he is physical but in the run game I havent seen him finish as much as I would expect, despite showing solid technique... Might just be me... I still think his run blocking is very good with room to improve. I have seen big strides as the season has progressed, loved what I saw in the LSU game despite the line playing poorly as a whole. He's not Trent Williams athletic, but not that far behind and better than many have given him credit for. I am 99% sure he will be my new #1 tackle prospect next week, and will be off the board in my first 15 picks in my mock, despite my hopes he would somehow fall to Buffalo in the second. IMO right now a top 15 pick.

Shane P. Hallam
10-13-2010, 11:43 AM
I am pegging him as a first round pick. Didn't get a chance to bring it up on the Podcast with Scott, but the upside and production to me speak volumes. Some team should take a shot that needs a franchise LT.

RealityCheck
10-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Not only a 1st rounder, but Sherrod is starting to look like the top OT in the class and it would be safe to say he could end up being picked in the Top 15.

Poz51
10-14-2010, 08:05 AM
I am pegging him as a first round pick. Didn't get a chance to bring it up on the Podcast with Scott, but the upside and production to me speak volumes. Some team should take a shot that needs a franchise LT.

I agree completely, his current production with room to improve have me really high on him right now, I look forward to hearing Scotts opinion on him, and if possible I would appreciate any insights on his character, as that is one aspect that is eluding me right now. IMO, if he keeps playing at his current level, and continues to show some improvement as the season progresses, I think he will have "franchise LT" written all over him come April.

ElectricEye
10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Sherrod is the real deal. He's not an unheralded guy either; he could have played college football mostly anywhere he wanted. I still like Costonzo better, but Sherrod is underrated right now.

Big Bird
10-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Wasn't expecting him to get this overrated...

He reminds me a lot of Alex Barron, and not in the good ways. Sherrod is athletic, yes. But that isn't everything. His technique is bad. The worst part is this is his third straight year starting, and he's kick-slide is still slow and he gets way too high. Anybody else actually watch him? Go to the LSU game. He got destroyed consistently.

Just because the Offensive Tackle class is weak, doesn't mean you should overrate guys like Sherrod who get beat on a consistent basis.

Poz51
10-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Wasn't expecting him to get this overrated...

He reminds me a lot of Alex Barron, and not in the good ways. Sherrod is athletic, yes. But that isn't everything. His technique is bad. The worst part is this is his third straight year starting, and he's kick-slide is still slow and he gets way too high. Anybody else actually watch him? Go to the LSU game. He got destroyed consistently.

Just because the Offensive Tackle class is weak, doesn't mean you should overrate guys like Sherrod who get beat on a consistent basis.

He reminds me nothing of Alex Barron, especially when it comes to being physical, his technique is actually very good, although he does need to improve in a couple area's, one being that he needs to play lower consistantly (knee bending), and two his kick stepping, but he has very good understanding of angles, good hands, agility, and lateral footwork. I am an LSU fan, and watched that game closely, Sherrod was the only bright spot on the MSU offense, and the only one who was not getting beat like a drum consistantly along the line, MSU's QB play was some of the worst I have ever seen, when given time to throw they did not and still looked like panic had permanently settled in, Sherrod handled Sam Montgomery, and poor communication led to much of the problems they had that day, and MSU still outgained LSU offensively in that game, he more than adequately handled every thing Georgia and Auburn threw at him, and had a nearly flawless game against Houston. Have you ever been to a game in Death Valley? At times you cant hear the guy next to you yelling... Communication at times becomes impossible, and causes just about everyone to have some breakdowns.

Rosebud
10-24-2010, 07:55 PM
*bump*

So how high can Sherrod go?

Wavy77
02-16-2011, 04:38 AM
I started a thread about a flaw in his scouting report (http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OT/Derek-Sherrod.php), but the thread got deleted. If anyone would enlighten why that happened I'd be happy.

The flaw was regarding Sherrod's arm length: in the report it says that he doesn't have real long arms while in the Senior Bowl http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/SeniorBowl/reports/Weigh-In.php he's listed with 35 1/2 inch arms which is the longest in the entire Senior Bowl.

bitonti
02-16-2011, 09:36 AM
sure bet to sneak into the end of the first round. I have Carimi, Castonzo and Solder higher tho.

ellsy82
02-16-2011, 10:33 AM
sure bet to sneak into the end of the first round. I have Carimi, Castonzo and Solder higher tho.

I've got him tied for 2nd best tackle in the draft with Carimi. I think Solder's upside is through the roof, so someone will overdraft him.

Costanzo has some questions regarding his ability to block off the edge against speed rushers. That's not an elite pass protector in my opinion. So I think Sherrod surpasses him before the draft.

Carimi is just your prototypical tackle prospect. Blue chipper. I really don't understand how his draft stock has fallen. He might be a little inconsistent at times, but I'm willing to bet that can be corrected with proper coaching.

killxswitch
02-16-2011, 12:13 PM
IMO Sherrod and Carimi are the two OTs that could step in and start for most teams on day 1. I like Carimi a little more but Sherrod seems like a very complete tackle. I think people get a little overboard with athleticism when it comes to OTs.

scottyboy
02-16-2011, 12:21 PM
yea I'm liking Sherrod more and more and I'd take him over Smith and Solder right now. Carimi is my #1 and Sherrod might be my 2 right now. it's going to be a teams opinion/feeling on these OT's come draft time, since it seems the top 5 or so are a big cluster **** and the rankings are all over the place with them

P-L
02-16-2011, 12:35 PM
In a really weak offensive tackle class, I think Derek Sherrod is the clear #1 left tackle. I think Gabe Carimi and Anthony Castonzo are better players but both are restricted to the right side. Nate Solder has the upside, but he isn't anywhere near reaching it in my opinion and I'm really not sure he ever will. I wouldn't draft him in the top 20. He should go to a team that can afford to give him a year or two to develop. Tyron Smith is intriguing to me, but he's never played left tackle and there has to be concerns regarding his weight. Derek Sherrod won't be the best lineman to come out of this draft, but I think he's the safest pick if you need immediate help on the left side.

Poz51
02-16-2011, 12:42 PM
In a really weak offensive tackle class, I think Derek Sherrod is the clear #1 left tackle. I think Gabe Carimi and Anthony Castonzo are better players but both are restricted to the right side. Nate Solder has the upside, but he isn't anywhere near reaching it in my opinion and I'm really not sure he ever will. I wouldn't draft him in the top 20. He should go to a team that can afford to give him a year or two to develop. Tyron Smith is intriguing to me, but he's never played left tackle and there has to be concerns regarding his weight. Derek Sherrod won't be the best lineman to come out of this draft, but I think he's the safest pick if you need immediate help on the left side.

I have been high on Sherrod from the get go, and agree with your assessment completely on the tackle situation as a whole. I have Sherrod as the 1st tackle off the board in my new mock and agree with him being the safest pick, despite not having the highest ceiling.

J-Mike88
04-29-2011, 12:56 AM
I really hope you, and Poz51, end up being right on the money about Sherrod.
I don't like the comparison above to Alex Barron. That's horrible!