PDA

View Full Version : Wich 1-2 duo were the best prospects?

Werowance
09-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Citi+BCS+National+Championship+Alabama+v+Texas+sEC jV5Dg09ol.jpg
or
Caddy Williams and Ronnie Brown
http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/ar/405/0/2009/11/12/21764_auburn-cadillac.jpg
or
Darren McFadden and Felix Jones
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fzi5IV9Az8Kv/610x.jpg

Which combination was best in college? Which combination projected best to the NFL level?

Addict
09-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm gonna go with Caddy-Ronnie.

yourfavestoner
09-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Caddy-Ronnie. To be fair, though, they were both overdrafted because of how weak their draft class was.

Ingram-Richardson can overtake them this year, though.

BeerBaron
09-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Hard to argue with the 2 who actually went in the top 5.

Ingram is a great college back, no doubt, Heisman winner and he deserves respect......Not going to be a top 10 pick in the NFL. He doesn't have any elite quality to his game. He runs strong, but he's not an AP kind of tackler breaker...he has good but not great speed....he doesn't seem especially versatile...

People like to compare him to Emmitt, well, Emmitt didn't go real high either. Neither are/were "great" pro prospects.

Now can some team draft Ingram in the middle of the first and be happy with a guy who can rush for 1000 yards every year? Totally. But I just do not see him going in the top 10. You have to be special as a RB to go that high.

And Richardson is just awesome. He has the potential to be drafted higher between he and Ingram in another year.

ElectricEye
09-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Caddy and Ronnie were two legit top ten picks in their draft. Hard to beat that.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-25-2010, 09:50 PM
the more I watch Ingram the more I'm impressed with him. you say he doesnt have an ELITE talent? well, youre wrong. he has elite balance. that will translate better as a RB in the NFL than, say, Reggie Bush's skills

with that said, I wouldn't take him top 10. but im very conservative with RBs. pretty much the only guy ive ever had a top 10 prospect at the position is AD

anyway, on topic, ill go with peyton hillis/felix jones

SenorGato
09-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Caddy-Ronnie. To be fair, though, they were both overdrafted because of how weak their draft class was.

Pretty much.

marshallb
09-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Pretty much.

I third this.

FUNBUNCHER
09-25-2010, 10:21 PM
If this was 1985, I think it's a safe bet that Ingram would be a top 3 pick.

Shanny's success in Denver with his plug-and-play RB carousel permanently devalued the position on draft day.

In his own way, Ingram IMO is a 'freakish' RB and I like him better than anyone who came out in 2010.

Matter of fact, I feel stupid for trying to compare Toby Gerhart to him; Ingram is just a very 'unique' RB prospect.

BeerBaron
09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
If this was 1985, I think it's a safe bet that Ingram would be a top 3 pick.

Shanny's success in Denver with his plug-and-play RB carousel permanently devalued the position on draft day.

In his own way, Ingram IMO is a 'freakish' RB and I like him better than anyone who came out in 2010.

Matter of fact, I feel stupid for trying to compare Toby Gerhart to him; Ingram is just a very 'unique' RB prospect.

It wasn't just Shanny....it's worked in quite a few places. For years, New England was winning championships with retreads, castoffs, and Kevin Faulk as a 3rd down back. The Saints won last year with Pierre Thomas (undrafted,) Mike Bell (undrafted,) and Reggie Bush playing a 3rd down role. The Steelers were winning a few years back with undrafted Willie Parker as their primary back.

You really have to be truly special, with elite skills to go high as a RB anymore.

BuddyCHRIST
09-25-2010, 11:54 PM
I didn't read the thread correctly because I picked McFadden/Felix. But anyways I'll go with Caddy/Ronnie. Both had shown that could carry a load, both were versatile and the backup was drafted first.

Babylon
09-26-2010, 01:18 AM
I guess Eric Dickerson and Craig James would be considered too long ago for this crowd in here.

yourfavestoner
09-26-2010, 01:25 AM
I guess Eric Dickerson and Craig James would be considered too long ago for this crowd in here.

Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green ain't so bad either.

Hollywood
09-26-2010, 01:55 AM
I surprised myself and voted for Ingram-Richardson.

boknows34
09-26-2010, 02:52 AM

Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green ain't so bad either.

Oklahoma State in 1986 and '87 had both Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas. Barry destroyed the NCAA record books, won the Heisman as a Junior and went 3rd overall in 1989, a draft that will eventually have 4 HOFers in the Top 5 picks. Thomas was two classes ahead of Sanders and inexplicably dropped to the 2nd rd in 1988.

Miami in 2001 had the best 1-2-3 trio of prospects in Clinton Portis, Willis McGahee and true freshman Frank Gore. A year later, and with Portis in the NFL, McGahee was a Top 5 prospect before shredding his knee vs Ohio St in the 2002 BCS Championship game. Gore had torn his ACL in spring practice earlier that season and would also certainly have been a 1st rd pick if scouts didn't have major question marks on his health going into the 2005 draft.