PDA

View Full Version : Headphones

Rob S
09-27-2010, 09:10 PM
So, I need new headphones. After using crappy ear buds for, well, forever I am leaning towards treating myself to a nice pair. I am still pretty short on funds right now, but I have been saving up and have set my upper limit at 100 bucks. I know I saw a thread around here earlier, but I can't seem to find it....

Anyway, the plan as of now is to buy the one expensive pair with storage ability not a huge issue (ie: I won't really wear them on the subway ride when I am going out to bars or dinner or whatever) since I will buy a cheap ass pair of buds for those situations. So, portability isn't a huge issue. I am not against in ear headphones necessarily, but they wouldn't be an advantage in my case.

These things are big issues, however:

1. Sound Quality better be amazing if I am spending over 50 bones.

2. They have to be real stable. I am in the gym a lot and I can't be worrying about headphones moving or falling out. I skip rope a lot, so this has been a problem in the past.

3. Obviously durability is a huge issue. I don't want to have to buy new headphones for a long time.

4. If possible, the cooler looking the better. I don't really care, and this is clearly last on my priority list, but in the event of a tie, the cooler looking pair will win.

If you need clarification on what I'm looking for let me know, I'm not a techie by any means so I could have forgotten something important.

Thanks, guys.

YAYareaRB
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Beats. A lot of people hate on 'em but they are some of the best out right now. I'm currently searching for better ones since I got the dough

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you want in-ear phones, not ear-buds. This is the obvious choice. (http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-White/dp/B0002ZW5W4)

Best sound you're going to get at that price range. They seal in your ear, so the chance of them falling out is pretty much nil. I'm not sure if they look cool exactly, but they're going to spend almost all their time lodged in your ear canal, so I don't think it's a big deal either way.

Beats. A lot of people hate on 'em but they are some of the best out right now. I'm currently searching for better ones since I got the dough

Meh. In terms of sound quality they're pretty average (actually, well below average for how much they cost). Someone just cranked up the bass a whole lot and called it a day. Sure, the design is awesome, but it has to sound good first, in my opinion. They aren't very good, they're just easily the most heavily marketed. It's the same deal with people thinking that Bose's gear is fantastic (which it isn't).

Rob S
09-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Sounds like you want in-ear phones, not ear-buds. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-White/dp/B0002ZW5W4]This is the obvious choice.

Best sound you're going to get at that price range. They seal in your ear, so the chance of them falling out is pretty much nil. I'm not sure if they look cool exactly, but they're going to spend almost all their time lodged in your ear canal, so I don't think it's a big deal either way.[/QUOTE]

Those look pretty good.....do you own a pair? If so, are they durable and how long have yours been going strong?

Brent
09-27-2010, 09:20 PM
I have some Monster Studio Beats. I bought them when I worked at Best Buy. I absolutely love them, but I would never pay full price. NEVER.

That said, if you know a person who can buy them on discount, go for it.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2010, 09:22 PM
I have a pair of etymotics that are a little more expensive than that, but I love them. The seal they form is good enough that you can barely hear anything out of them, barely more than you'd hear out of good noise-cancelers. My brother has had a pair of the etymotics that has lasted for years.

All I can say is you will lose your preferred pad (the headphones come with several options and sizes, so you can choose which feels right) at least once. You can buy replacements easily, or just use whatever your second choice was.

Rob S
09-27-2010, 09:26 PM
I have a pair of etymotics that are a little more expensive than that, but I love them. The seal they form is good enough that you can barely hear anything out of them, barely more than you'd hear out of good noise-cancelers. My brother has had a pair of the etymotics that has lasted for years.

All I can say is you will lose your preferred pad (the headphones come with several options and sizes, so you can choose which feels right) at least once. You can buy replacements easily, or just use whatever your second choice was.

Seems like they give you a bunch with the original purchase, so I can try them all out.

Brent
09-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I really want to order these: http://www.hlaska.com/products/UrbanEars-Plattan.html as they look bad ass and have decent reviews. Yes, I am a headphone *****.

Rob S
09-27-2010, 09:35 PM
I really want to order these: http://www.hlaska.com/products/UrbanEars-Plattan.html as they look bad ass and have decent reviews. Yes, I am a headphone *****.

Those are pretty sweet looking. I just never spent the money on headphones before, I know once I get a nice pair I won't be able to go back though.

Brent
09-27-2010, 09:37 PM
I know once I get a nice pair I won't be able to go back though.
That's really my problem. I am such an audiophile that I can't imagine not having high-quality audio.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2010, 09:39 PM
The Plattan looks amazing, but I've heard some pretty discouraging things about the sound quality.

Paul
09-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I have and love these.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/images/wesc-maraca-white-500x500.jpg

The sound is great and I look awesome in them. Plus I haven't seen anyone on campus with them.

Rob S
09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
I have and love these.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/images/wesc-maraca-white-500x500.jpg

The sound is great and I look awesome in them. Plus I haven't seen anyone on campus with them.

Would they slide or be annoying at the gym?

Paul
09-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Would they slide or be annoying at the gym?

I haven't tried working out with them, I use my in-ears for that. But they don't move at all when I'm walking around. But I also have a gigantic noggin.

Rob S
09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
I haven't tried working out with them, I use my in-ears for that. But they don't move at all when I'm walking around. But I also have a gigantic noggin.

Yeah, my head is pretty average, so I think they might move.

vikes_28
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Skull candy work just fine for me. I use them for everything. Listening to music in school, at home, on the bus. I also use them as my in ear monitors for my band's shows. I have never had a problem with them falling apart.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Anything with real weight will move if you're jumping up and down. That's just a fact.

senormysterioso
09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-As20J-Active-Headphones-Hangers/dp/B0015AHRFK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1285642312&sr=1-9

I've had these for like 3 years and I work out with them all the time. Cheap, durable, stay in your ear...I like them.

Brent
09-27-2010, 09:54 PM
I use these for working out: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-J10-Headphones-Non-Slip-Design/dp/B00005V8GO/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3 they are so awesome. cheap, reliable and sound good.

prock
09-27-2010, 10:11 PM
I got some Bose ones, but they weren't under $100. I got them for Christmas. They are pretty ****** sick though. The sound quality is unbeatable.

aLARGEtopHat
09-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Sennheiser for mainstream headphones and klipsch for floor speakers... Bose items are **** fyi.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/private_headphones_dj-headphones
-Prices much cheaper on amazon than advertised.

thefalconer
09-27-2010, 10:43 PM
have you tried in-ears before? the legit ones have very good sound quality for the price and are very good noise-cancellers. wearing headphones at the gym just isn't practical. in-ears or clip ons like the ones posted above are the way to go for working out. headphones for multimedia at home and/or studio work. i got these and don't let the price fool ya, they are very nice and comes with additional pads.

http://amzn.to/clflv6

one tier higher: http://amzn.to/c7xLER

thefalconer
09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
but if you're willing to dish out around 70 or 80 for in-ears, i strongly suggest klipsch.

jballa838
09-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm gonna hit up FYE when I get money and get some new headphones.

is that a better option than amazon, or should i just buy them offline?

SickwithIt1010
09-28-2010, 12:40 AM
I have some Monster Studio Beats. I bought them when I worked at Best Buy. I absolutely love them, but I would never pay full price. NEVER.

That said, if you know a person who can buy them on discount, go for it.

Agreed, i love mine. And like you....i didnt pay near full price for them and nor would i.

descendency
09-28-2010, 12:54 AM
I wouldn't buy a set of high-end headphones to use at the gym. Sweat will ruin them. It's just a matter of time.

I have a nice set for on the town and a cheap set (throw-awayable) for working out. It's my experience this combination is better than the reverse.

Also, if you are using it with an MP3 player or an iPhone/Pod, then you shouldn't have to worry, but be careful with other cellphones. Some head-sets don't link correctly in the headphone jack and wiggling will cause weird stuff to happen (skip, pause, "rewind", etc). I could explain this on a techie level, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Also, don't buy 100 dollar set of headphones for a 30 dollar MP3 player, please. (the quality of audio from said MP3 player probably sucks and won't improve just because you paid for a quality headphone set).

A general tip, Google "__________ problems" where the blank is the brand/name of the headphones. See if the wires break often or they are terrible for the gym. If you see one person saying it, they're probably just an idiot (or they got one of those 1% of poorly manufactured ones). If you see 20+ people, there is a problem. Buyer beware.

I own a set of Sony MDR V6, which have great sound IMO, but are completely wrong for what you want. I also have a Nexus One (cellphone) that the particular headset causes the above problem when I use them in it. Quite maddening to learn actually.

ImBrotherCain
09-28-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm a big fan of the Turbines... seeing as i don't listen to Rap or anything with extreme bass the Turbines are the best option for me

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/monster-turbine-in-ear/4505-7877_7-33490631.html

wogitalia
09-28-2010, 06:51 AM
I have a pair of Sennheiser PMX 60s, just got this pair after the previous pair lasted 3 years.

There is certainly better sound quality out there but for working out I've found them just about perfect, long cord so if it catches it has some give in it, they don't fall when running, cycling or lifting and didn't have any problems the few times I've jumped rope.

Also don't get me wrong on the sound quality, it is very good, I just know if you go to higher price ranges you will do better. I also think they look pretty sweet, a nice simple overear design.

senormysterioso
09-28-2010, 08:19 AM
It really doesn't make sense to spend a ton of money on in-ear earphones, unless your buying them for monitors for playing live music. Even if you spend hundreds of dollars on a set, a speaker that small only handles the low end so well. So what your paying for is clarity in the mid to high end (8-20k). Assuming your going to be plugging them into an mp3 player of some kind, mp3's re-sample an audio file to a much lower sample rate and bit depth and add dither and compression, losing much of the high end clarity and dynamics that your paying extra to hear. You can hear a difference in quality for sure between a $20 set and $100 set but most of that is due to a better seal with the earpiece and cleaner wiring and solders.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-28-2010, 04:47 PM
Very little of the above post makes much sense.

niel89
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't buy a set of high-end headphones to use at the gym. Sweat will ruin them. It's just a matter of time.

I have a nice set for on the town and a cheap set (throw-awayable) for working out. It's my experience this combination is better than the reverse.

This.

Get a cheap pair for the gym and spend money on a nice pair for other times.

I bought a pair of Sony mdr-x700s. They are puffy (think memory foam) and have great bass (love it for hearing the bass guitar in rock music). I'm not entirely sure how the they stack up to other headphones in terms of clarity but they suit my needs just fine. For $80 I'm pretty happy, There is a refurbished pair for $60 on there too.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-XB700-Diaphragm-Driver-Headphones/dp/B001RB24SW/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285729161&sr=8-2

JETS5128
09-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Dude, if your gonna spend the money on good headphones i wouldnt even think about working out with them.

MiWolves
09-29-2010, 08:56 PM
Klipsch.. If you know someone who works in best buy then you can get the S4i's for like 50 bucks

robert pancake gallery
12-18-2010, 02:46 PM
beats by dre and skullcandys are so good, they have such great treble plus wearing them doesn't make you look like a huge tool... bottom line, be sure to buy your headphones at a retailer like best buy and don't do any research