PDA

View Full Version : Help: Looking for a Safety - Plays Physical and Can Cover

GloryDaysRBack
09-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey guys, I am creating this thread because I am specifically looking for a certain type of player and I am sure there are a few viable candidates out there that I just dont know of. In my honest opinion, in todays game, the hardest type of pro prospect to find is a PHYSICAL safety that can cover like a CB..There are many safeties out there that are physical, many of which cannot cover well enough. There are also plenty of safeties out there that can cover with some of the best CBs out there, however, many of those guys are not physical enough for my liking..

I am looking for a guy who is willing to get their nose dirty..someone who is not afraid to come up and make a tackle..or CRUSH a WR coming over the middle..but like I said, at the same time can make plays in the passing game...In todays NFL, there seem to be very few of these types of players and in my honest opinion this type of player just might be the most valuable position on a defense...You have Ed Reed, Polamalu, and a few others and that is just about it...

Who in college, preferably someone who is likely to be turning pro after this season is someone that I should start looking at and following for the remainder of this college season? I am looking for a GAME CHANGER at the safety position

I am sure this board will be able to provide me with multiple players that fit this description and that is why I created this thread...

Thanks in advance

LizardState
09-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Deunta Williams, UNC.

May not play this yr b/c of contact with & Miami party invitation to from That Agent Who Is Banned.

GloryDaysRBack
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Deunta Williams, UNC.

May not play this yr b/c of contact with & Miami party invitation to from That Agent Who Is Banned.

It is a shame if he doesn't play this year in the sense that I wont be able to watch him on TV..but if it helps him slide in the draft and it gives Dallas a chance at finding a steal late in round 1 I will take it lol...Kind of like what happened to us with Dez...that guy is a beast..

I will see if I can find any clips of D-dub on youtube

Scott Wright
09-28-2010, 03:02 PM
The blog entry I wrote today is about exactly the type of guy you're looking for!

Jeron Johnson of Boise St.
http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/09/showoff/

TACKLE
09-28-2010, 03:24 PM
DeAndre McDaniel is the guy you want. He is head and shoulders above any other safety in this class, in my eyes. One of the premier defensive playmakers in college football with terrific ball skills but is also very capable of coming up in the box and being physical (he was actually a LB as a freshman).

marshallb
09-28-2010, 03:27 PM
DeAndre McDaniel is the guy you want. He is head and shoulders above any other safety in this class, in my eyes. One of the premier defensive playmakers in college football with terrific ball skills but is also very capable of coming up in the box and being physical (he was actually a LB as a freshman).

I agree with you. McDaniel is my favorite S in this class by a solid margin and I'm kinda hoping his run in with the law will cause him to fall into the 2nd round for the Vikings.

GloryDaysRBack
09-28-2010, 03:30 PM
I couldn't find much as far as highlights for Jeron Johnson..

I will definitely keep an eye on DeAndre Mcdaniel...perfect timing too as I was already planning on watching the Miami v Clemson game this weekend..I'll make sure I keep my eye on him..I LOVE what I saw in his highlight reel I found..keep em coming guys..thanks again

Razor
09-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I couldn't find much as far as highlights for Jeron Johnson..

I will definitely keep an eye on DeAndre Mcdaniel...perfect timing too as I was already planning on watching the Miami v Clemson game this weekend..I'll make sure I keep my eye on him..I LOVE what I saw in his highlight reel I found..keep em coming guys..thanks again

If you're going to watch that game you should keep an eye on Ray Ray Armstrong from the 'Canes. The guy has all the tools, and whilst he still hasn't put it all together he's still playing pretty well.

Werowance
09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Mark Barron of Alabama is far and away the most physical safety in this class, he is an athletic freak with abilities that conjure up images of Adrian Wilson but he has instincts that conjure up Laron Landry. Just know that Mark Barron has all the ability in the world to be the best safety from this class, he can play centerfield and make big plays and he can play in the box, the only question with him is if he can grasp the mental part of the game.

GloryDaysRBack
09-28-2010, 04:02 PM
this thread is awesome!!! keep em coming

Cicero
09-28-2010, 04:26 PM

Truth. It would be easy to confuse him with a LB out on the field sometimes. He's a phenomenal tackler, and he's great in coverage as well.

ToldLikeItIs
09-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Call me a homer, but Charles Godfrey is turning into one of the better safeties in the league.

ToldLikeItIs
09-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Again, call me a homer, but Tyler Sash is the epitome of a hard-nosed strong safety.

Werowance
09-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Again, call me a homer, but Tyler Sash is the epitome of a hard-nosed strong safety.

This is true.

Day One Pick
09-28-2010, 05:13 PM
DeAndre McDaniel is the first guy that came to mind, but sometimes you need to look at the CB's to find a guy like this. Colorado's Jimmy Smith is a bigger CB (6-2, 205) who excels are a cover man and in the run game (70 tackles, 52 solo last season).

SenorGato
09-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I'm going to go with Mark Barron.

A Perfect Score
09-28-2010, 10:57 PM
DeAndre McDaniel is unreal. He's going to be a very good football player in the NFL. Guy is the epitome of covers like a corner, hits like a linebacker. Ok, maybe not like a linebacker, but he's a very sure tackler regardless.

TitanHope
09-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Not eligible this year, but Tennessee's Janzen Jackson is the epitome of this.

dQBqdVMJVekCBxOLMm7DYs

He's a true sophomore and is a FS prospect at 6'0, 181 lbs. Came out of high school as the #2 CB prospect in the nation and #17 player in the country (per Rivals). Pretty much forced his way into the starting rotation and won the starting FS spot by the 2nd game of his true freshman season. There were several times last year where I confused him with Eric Berry. You may even see JJ get moved to CB next year, depending on the depth the Vols have. (Right now, they pretty much have zero depth across the roster and the places they do have it are inexperienced youth. If the numbers work out so that the safety behind JJ is significantly better than the projected starter at CB, then he'd probably make the switch - This happened to Eric Berry his freshman year. EB was a CB, but they had a hole at SS and depth at CB, so they moved him to SS. Plus, playing in the middle of the field instead of just one side made him unavoidable for offenses)

JJ could end up dropping because of character concerns, though. He was an accomplice to robbery where two other Vols players held up a group outside of a gas station.

Ozzy
09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
Like many have said, DeAndre McDaniel is the best safety in this up coming draft, he is a ball hawk, can intercept passes and jump routes, plus come up in the box and hit ya. Easily the most accomplished safety in the draft.

Other guys would be a guy like Robert Sands, developing very nicely, HUGE safety prospect, runs well, hits hard and his potential is through the roof! Ahmad Black is outstanding as well, easily one of the top safeties and has a lot of Bob Sanders in him, small safety but he makes plays in pass defense and run defense, he is a 1st round talent as well.

Davon Morgan is having a standout year for Virginia Tech, he could be a steal late and Dejon Gomes is awesome as a versatile coverage safety that can make plays.

There are tons of safeties out there but again I would say the elite ones on the field are McDaniel, Black and Sands. Could argue Will Hill and Rahim Moore but I need to see a little more out of those guys to be honest.

Bosanac01
09-29-2010, 08:42 AM
The blog entry I wrote today is about exactly the type of guy you're looking for!

Jeron Johnson of Boise St.
http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/09/showoff/

I like this guy.

princefielder28
09-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Add me to the Mark Barron list

Sniper
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/291955/jimmerjammer.jpg

LizardState
09-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Mark Barron of Alabama is far and away the most physical safety in this class, he is an athletic freak with abilities that conjure up images of Adrian Wilson but he has instincts that conjure up Laron Landry. Just know that Mark Barron has all the ability in the world to be the best safety from this class, he can play centerfield and make big plays and he can play in the box, the only question with him is if he can grasp the mental part of the game.

Barron is good in the box at playing run support but it's taken him 3 yrs to learn how to cover deep route receivers. Even this yr. he was out of position on too many plays vs. Arkansas.

Adrian Wilson is a good comparison but he's more like safety Roy Williams when he was with Dallas, unless he improves his coverage teams in the NFL will attack him over the top.

mario
09-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Call me a homer, but Charles Godfrey is turning into one of the better safeties in the league.
No, just no. His INTs this year are balls perfectly thrown into his hands, he hasnīt a great range and is always late to make the play.

Back to the topic, i'm the only one who see some similarities between DeAndre McDaniel and Mark Barron? both are physical and are comfortable being the 8th man in the box, great tacklers, both have a great range but struggle when playing with his back to the ball and aren't very fluid in the changes of direction. Just DeAndre is better in every field...

Regards!!

Texas Homer
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Give this guy a couple more seasons and there you go.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/ptrain33/VaccaroTexas.jpg

Soph. Kenny Vaccaro S and can play Nickel.

Listed 6'1, 201 and hits like a truck.

CashmoneyDrew
09-29-2010, 03:13 PM
I came in here to point out Janzen Jackson, but TitanHope is ahead of the game like always.

lowlife
09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/291955/jimmerjammer.jpg

You, sir, are my favorite.

GloryDaysRBack
09-29-2010, 05:00 PM
Not eligible this year, but Tennessee's Janzen Jackson is the epitome of this.

dQBqdVMJVekCBxOLMm7DYs

He's a true sophomore and is a FS prospect at 6'0, 181 lbs. Came out of high school as the #2 CB prospect in the nation and #17 player in the country (per Rivals). Pretty much forced his way into the starting rotation and won the starting FS spot by the 2nd game of his true freshman season. There were several times last year where I confused him with Eric Berry. You may even see JJ get moved to CB next year, depending on the depth the Vols have. (Right now, they pretty much have zero depth across the roster and the places they do have it are inexperienced youth. If the numbers work out so that the safety behind JJ is significantly better than the projected starter at CB, then he'd probably make the switch - This happened to Eric Berry his freshman year. EB was a CB, but they had a hole at SS and depth at CB, so they moved him to SS. Plus, playing in the middle of the field instead of just one side made him unavoidable for offenses)

JJ could end up dropping because of character concerns, though. He was an accomplice to robbery where two other Vols players held up a group outside of a gas station.

I really like this kid..looks very fluid to me..

guys, thanks a ton for all of these players...I am going to try and keeo an eye out for these guys..

GloryDaysRBack
10-02-2010, 05:04 PM
must say I was not very impressed with DeAndre McDaniel..Albeit, it was only one game...he just did not play well today..I am sure I caught him on a bad day...

I am watching Jackson right now and I must admist that I really like what I am seeing..absolutely looks the part so far

SeanTaylorRIP
10-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Probably won't declare unless he continues his extremely high level of play but look out for Kenny Tate. He could be your next freak from Maryland. Everyone knows he was the super WR prospect out of high school recruited by every big school but chose Maryland instead where he converted to safety because DHB was the man at WR. Tate is 6-4 225 pounds. He struggled his first two years because he was being asked to do too much including returning punts, but this year has has been a stud. He is suprisingly physical, evidenced by his 2 sacks last week. Along with his physical style he is long and rangy and can cover like a corner. IMO if he finds consistency he can sneak up on us and become a first round pick although more likelyl in 2012.

draftguru151
10-06-2010, 08:44 PM
must say I was not very impressed with DeAndre McDaniel..Albeit, it was only one game...he just did not play well today..I am sure I caught him on a bad day...

I am watching Jackson right now and I must admist that I really like what I am seeing..absolutely looks the part so far

Was probably the worst game I've seen from McDaniel. Not sure if the wrist was bugging him that much but he definitely didn't look like himself. Instincts were there but missed some tackles.

katnip
10-06-2010, 10:00 PM
FSU/Canes this Saturday will be the first full game I'll get to see of them. But how is, Vaughn Telemaque?

edit - nevermind.. Just noticed he's only a true sophomore according to miami/rivals

shylo3716
10-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Antwine Perez Maryland-USC transfer

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Player/video/ANTWINEPEREZ150_0812.JPG

Duffman57
10-16-2010, 06:15 PM
People god dam it, you all got his name wrong again. Its ROBERT SANDS! Geez learn his name already...lol

But This is my boy. He knows how to use his great burst and length in coverage, and just destroys people.