PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Busts

djp
09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Discuss your finest recruiting busts here.

Miami : Bryce and Arthur Brown.. these guys are clowns. Arthur simply could not understand any type of defensive scheme and by all accounts was extremely soft. Bryce never even attended Miami but the circus this guy brought was just ridiculous.

BRAVEHEART
09-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Bryce isn't a bust. Arthur yeah, but Bryce will and has contributed when he was on the field. Both are very athletic, but one of them plays a posistion where there isn't much thinking.

djp
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Bryce isn't a bust. Arthur yeah, but Bryce will and has contributed when he was on the field. Both are very athletic, but one of them plays a posistion where there isn't much thinking.

For a guy rated #1 overall in his class, he was/is a bust.

TACKLE
09-29-2010, 05:08 PM
Darrell Scott is the first guy to come to mind.

shylo3716
09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
From my school Da "U" our biggest bust was none other then Ryan Moore himself. Coming out of HS he was rated the #1 overall WR in the 02' class. Throughout his 4 years with us, he did not make a name for himself at all on the college level. My expectations for Ryan were real high especially by him being rated #1, he did not even get his name called in the 07' draft. Where is the once big time WR at now?

keylime_5
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
Mike D'Andrea. Jamario O'Neal. Connor Smith.

JoeJoeBrown
09-29-2010, 05:36 PM
From my school Da "U" our biggest bust was none other then Ryan Moore himself. Coming out of HS he was rated the #1 overall WR in the 02' class. Throughout his 4 years with us, he did not make a name for himself at all on the college level. My expectations for Ryan were real high especially by him being rated #1, he did not even get his name called in the 07' draft. Where is the once big time WR at now?

Did they teach you how to use the bold button while you attended Da U?

Epic bust = Ryan Perrlithug. Sabotaged UT and LSU.

Medium bust = Chris Simms

Average bust = Jermaine O'Neal

shylo3716
09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Did they teach you how to use the bold button while you attended Da U?
Epic bust = Ryan Perrlithug. Sabotaged UT and LSU.

Medium bust = Chris Simms

Average bust = Jermaine O'Neal

Lol I did not go there that's just my squad.

JoeJoeBrown
09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Lol I did not go there that's just my squad.

I figured not, but I had to joke about the bold :)

OneToughGame
09-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Kavario Middleton. Matthew Tuiasosopo.

RealityCheck
09-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Marvin Austin could be considered a bust, since he's never produced what we expected.

BuddyCHRIST
09-29-2010, 07:14 PM
This list is so lengthy, FSU has had a number of high recruits who never make it on campus and then flunk out of JC. But some guys who actually made it...

Lorenzo Booker was the number 1 recruit when he came out, he was suppose to be Reggie Bush before Reggie Bush. He ended up just being average and I always felt like he should have been moved to WR. He would fall down if you breathed on him.

Xavier Lee was too dumb and lazy to do anything at FSU besides party. He had a couple moments where he looked like the truth (come back against Alabama), but his work ethic was sooo poor and his 4th year in the program he still didn't know the playbook.

Fred Rouse was suppose to be the next Randy Moss, and looked promising early. But alas he had a terrible head on his shoulders, was kicked out of FSU, went to UTEP. Sucks, was arrested after he left and then tried to trash the program for "steering football players toward easier majors." Ass clown.

Don Vito
09-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Brent Schaeffer, Tig Barksdale, Chris Strong, Patrick Patterson, Raymond Cotton, Craig Drummond, Ronald McLendon, Rishaw Johnson, Robert Lane...

Too many to name for Ole Miss.

P-L
09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Kelly Baraka was a massive bust, but I didn't follow recruiting at that time so it wasn't devastating to me. Boubacar Cissoko, Kevin Grady, and Marques Slocum all also failed to live up to the hype.

JoeJoeBrown
09-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Kelly Baraka was a massive bust, but I didn't follow recruiting at that time so it wasn't devastating to me. Boubacar Cissoko, Kevin Grady, and Marques Slocum all also failed to live up to the hype.

Boubacar out-thugged MoC, which is impressive.

JRTPlaya21
09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Let's see. How about Willie Williams, Rhett Bomar, Callahan Bright, Melvin Alaeze & Lance Leggett to name a few.

Halsey
09-29-2010, 08:10 PM
It feels like 90% players UGA have brought in the past few years have not played up to their recruiting hype.

shylo3716
09-29-2010, 08:13 PM
This list is so lengthy, FSU has had a number of high recruits who never make it on campus and then flunk out of JC. But some guys who actually made it...

Lorenzo Booker was the number 1 recruit when he came out, he was suppose to be Reggie Bush before Reggie Bush. He ended up just being average and I always felt like he should have been moved to WR. He would fall down if you breathed on him.

Xavier Lee was too dumb and lazy to do anything at FSU besides party. He had a couple moments where he looked like the truth (come back against Alabama), but his work ethic was sooo poor and his 4th year in the program he still didn't know the playbook.

Fred Rouse was suppose to be the next Randy Moss, and looked promising early. But alas he had a terrible head on his shoulders, was kicked out of FSU, went to UTEP. Sucks, was arrested after he left and then tried to trash the program for "steering football players toward easier majors." Ass clown.

I can't believe Lee was there for 4 years, & could not grasp the knowledge of knowing the playbook. What a waste of TALENT.

I remember when Rouse was on OTL snitching on everyone in the FSU program. He even told how Cromartie had a lack of reading skills, & did not do anything in class but lay his head down on the desk.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2010, 08:24 PM
From UVA Michael Johnson. Running back with reported 4.2 speed. Had offer from Miami, Alabama, just about everything. Never did anything other than a few returns.

CashmoneyDrew
09-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Soooo many Vols players.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-29-2010, 08:43 PM
It's understandble for high end programs to have a high bust rates because every recruting class they have is filled with 3+ star recruits and high competition but someone like Darrell Scott is a true bust because he was an elite prospect going to a smaller program.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Logan Heastie

shylo3716
09-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Logan Heastie

Where is Logan now, he's from my hometown?

MiWolves
09-29-2010, 08:58 PM
My name is shylo3716 and the bold button is my friend.

JoeJoeBrown
09-29-2010, 09:16 PM

LOLZ OMG HE SHOOD CAPS EVERYTHING TOO!!! XTRA IMPORTANTZ!!!

BuckeyeDan17
09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
Robert Rose in addition to who keylime said.

Duron Carter isn't looking too great right now either.

JRTPlaya21
09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Where is Logan now, he's from my hometown?

Logan is at ODU now.

JRTPlaya21
09-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Robert Rose in addition to who keylime said.

Duron Carter isn't looking too great right now either.

Duron is not even enrolled at OSU so give him another year to see what he does when he comes back.

djp
09-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Anyone got any info on these guys?

Melvin Alaeze
Jason Gwaltney
Antwine Perez
Torrey Davis
RJ Washington
Jeff Schweiger Jr
Cameron Colvin
Jarred Fayson
Antwain Easterling (guy was a beast in HS)
Alex Boone
Whitney Lewis
Nikita Stover (I know he had injuries at Bama)

keylime_5
09-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Carter is supposed to come back to Ohio State this winter, so I won't write him off yet.

Robert Rose was a big bust, but he was a decent rotational DL last year and actually is on the Dolphins' 53 man active roster right now, so he made an NFL team as a rookie. Could do worse eh?

Alex Boone wasnt a bust really, he started for 3 years and was all big ten...but he wasn't the next all american buckeye left tackle like he was touted to be either. Currently a 49er in the NFL I think.

shylo3716
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM

Yea it is lolz

shylo3716
09-30-2010, 11:44 AM

Melvin Alaeze
Jason Gwaltney
Antwine Perez
Torrey Davis
RJ Washington
Jeff Schweiger Jr
Cameron Colvin
Jarred Fayson
Alex Boone
Whitney Lewis

Antwine Perez was at Maryland last time I checked & Cameron Colvin is on a milk carton

JRTPlaya21
09-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Torrey Davis had a tryout with the Bucs. But as of now he isn't with anyone. Fayson is still with the Illini but isn't anything real special.

Hines
09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
For PSU:

Chris Bell- Showed promise his frosh year. Had the size, speed, and playmaking ability to be one of PSU's best WRs. He pulled a knife out on a teamate and got kicked off the team.

Chris Baker- Got in a lot of trouble at PSU, kicked off the team, and then transfered to Hampton where he went undrafted.

Phil Taylor- Such a big boy with great talent, but like Baker, got in a lot of trouble and got kicked off the team. Currently at Baylor.

Derrick Williams- Number 1 recruit in 2005. Never really did much at PSU.

Anthony Morelli- This kid had great arm strength, just sucked as a QB.

AJ Wallace- He was electric his frosh year. I personally thought he'd be a better player on the offensive side of the ball. Moved to corner and sucked. I don't even think he got picked up as an UDFA.

Maurice Evans- Had a great frosh year, got hurt I believe his sophomore year, then got in trouble his Jr year and left early. Bouncing around on team's practice squads now.

Andrew Quarless- This was iffy. He got in trouble a lot his early stages of his career, but really came on his Sr season and stayed out of trouble. I think he'll do well in Green Bay.

Antonio Logan-El- This dude was just straight up fat and lazy. I think he quit the team and tried to transfer and ended up quitting football all together IIRC.

Josh Marks- Dude was praised for his work ethic and physical style of football. The offensive lineman was none of that in college. Transfered to Pitt after he quit PSU and ended up quitting Pitt as well.

Hines
09-30-2010, 12:10 PM
For Pitt:

Elijah Fields- Had ENORMOUS potential. Flashed a lot of it last season, but he had a two cent head coming from a bad part of Pittsburgh. The hood never seemed to leave him. Got kicked off the team this summer, tried to transfer to Cal U and didn't even get accepted. Such a disapointment.

Dorin Dickerson- 5 star prospect coming out of HS. Was big, strong, and fast. Moved around a lot in college and never made an impact at Pitt untill his Sr season.

Chris Jacobson- I'll give him time because I think this is his first season as a starter, but the former 5 star prospect has not lived up to the hype that he got. Was suppose to be a mauler and never has played like that.

Pat Bostick- Couldn't even beat out Bill Stull or Tino Sunseri. Enough said.

Cameron Saddler- Was suppose to bring a big boost to the return game and be a spark plug on offense. So far he looks very timid on returns and hasn't really done much on offense.

Shayne Hale- Was one of the bigger commits Pitt got in '08. So far, he's fallen fast on the depth chart and may need to change positions, but I don't think it'll help him.

Hawk
09-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Vols

Chris Donald
Kenny O'Neal
Darren Myles
Brandon Warren
Jonathon Crompton (even though he did have a bounce back SR yr)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot

Vikes99ej
09-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Darrel Scott comes to mind for me. Alex Daniels was supposed to be a stud for the Gophs but he ended up transferring.

SickwithIt1010
09-30-2010, 03:31 PM
How about Whitney Lewis at SC?

Vidal Hazelton....CJ Gable,

Arsenal
10-01-2010, 09:58 PM

Melvin Alaeze
Jason Gwaltney
Antwine Perez
Torrey Davis
RJ Washington
Jeff Schweiger Jr
Cameron Colvin
Jarred Fayson
Alex Boone
Whitney Lewis

Melvin Alaeze was charged with attempted murder, obviously he never made it to any school. I'm not sure what the outcome of his trial was or if its even happened.

Jason Gwaltney was undone first by injuries then by grades. He got injured early in his frosh season and then a little 3 star back in his same class named Steve Slaton stepped in and never looked back.

Antwine Perez still plays for Maryland, heard his name during the WVU/Maryland game.

Cameron Colvin was signed by the 49ers as a UDFA, must have got cut never heard anything about him.

Alex Boone was signed by the 49ers as a UDFA as well. He is still a backup offensive tackle on the 49ers roster. He had serious alcohol problems but I think he's overcame them. A lot of 49er fans have high hopes for him but I can't recall him playing anything besides preseason.

bullg8rdaddy
10-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Lorenzo Edwards former 5 star and #1 ranked WLB coming out of HS
Kyle Jackson former 5 star safety
John Brown former 5 star DT
Will Hill former 5 star safety
Torrey Davis former 5 star DT
Gary Brown former 5 star DT
Emmanuel Moody former 5 star RB
James Wilson former 5 star OG
Deonte Thompson former 5 star WR
Chris "Time to die" Rainey former 5 star RB

NGSeiler
10-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Logan Heastie

I'll take you one further: Jason Gwaltney.

Honorable mention: Terence Kerns, Tevita Finau.

wicket
10-26-2010, 09:45 AM
For Notre Dame:
Deion Walker
Brandon Newman
Duval Kamara
Matt Romine
James Aldridge
Sam Young (to a certain extend)
Demetrius Jones
Matt Carufel
Richard Johnson

soybean
10-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Lorenzo Edwards former 5 star and #1 ranked WLB coming out of HS
Kyle Jackson former 5 star safety
John Brown former 5 star DT
Will Hill former 5 star safety
Torrey Davis former 5 star DT
Gary Brown former 5 star DT
Emmanuel Moody former 5 star RB
James Wilson former 5 star OG
Deonte Thompson former 5 star WR
Chris "Time to die" Rainey former 5 star RB

I loved Emmanuel Moody at SC. He had power and the shiftyness always good for one long run each game.

The problem is Meyer. He either doesn't like Moody, thinks he has better options, or is using him wrong.

Also, you might be able to add Chris Galippo -- LB -- USC to that list soon. He was the top ranked (or one of the top ranked) linebackers in his class (#7 in rivals I believe) and he lost his starting job.

MassNole
11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
At Florida State since 2002 I would say the 5 biggest busts are:

1) Xavier Lee - Not even close. He had the talent but the brain and work ethic of a drunken legacy at Harvard.

2) Fred Rouse - ESPN said he was a 3rd Round pick after his junior year of HS. Hype and lots of weed went into his head and that was that.

3) Daron Rose - He was a Rivals 100 OL (I believe highest 4*) who flunked out of school with the academic scandal. He was supposed to have been the anchor of the OL with Rodney Hudson.

4) Anthony Leon - Sean Taylor's cousin, highly rated S out of HS who shot up the rankings his senior year from a 2* to near the Rivals 100. Even when the team was decimated with suspensions he was benched for walkons. I think he ended up at Arkansas, no idea how he's been there.

5) Preston Parker - Solid recruit who didn't have the grades for Miami. He had a promising sophomore year in a Percy Harvin role then an injury plagued junior year followed by getting thrown out of school.

I give passes to victims of circumstance like Leon Washington and Lorenzo Booker, who just didn't have the coaching needed to succeed.