PDA

View Full Version : Was Micheal Vick the Most Dynamic NFL Prospect "Ever"?

dregolll
09-30-2010, 10:30 AM
I was watching youtube clips of Micheal Vick in college and I have come to the conclusion that Micheal Vick is the baddest(in a good way) NFL prospect to ever enter the NFL draft. The guy had everything you look for in a top prospect. We commonly compare future and past prospect to one another, but Micheal Vick stands alone in his own category. No one, and I mean no one can come close to touching Micheal Vick as an NFL prospect, not even John Elway. The guy was the ultimate freak of nature!!

Halsey
09-30-2010, 10:53 AM
No, he was not the best QB prospect ever. Elway, Manning, Palmer and others were better prospects for playing QB in the NFL than Vick was. Vick is/was a great runner with a lot of physical talent, but he wasn't polished at all(as evidenced by the fact he sat as a rookie), he's got well below ideal height for the position and teams worried that his body might not be able to take the beating his style of play invites. I know he's exciting to watch and a great runner, but that doesn't make him the greatest QB prospect.

Hollywood
09-30-2010, 11:04 AM
If he was 3 inches taller I could agree...

Halsey
09-30-2010, 11:10 AM
I was watching youtube clips of Micheal Vick in college and I have come to the conclusion that Micheal Vick is the baddest(in a good way) NFL prospect to ever enter the NFL draft. The guy had everything you look for in a top prospect. We commonly compare future and past prospect to one another, but Micheal Vick stands alone in his own category. No one, and I mean no one can come close to touching Micheal Vick as an NFL prospect, not even John Elway. The guy was the ultimate freak of nature!!

which is sort of funny, given that the thread is about the most dynamic nfl prospect "ever".

but really, thanks for the non sequitur.

Ahh, and I bet you thought you were being so witty. :(

Halsey
09-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I know Vick is exciting and a blast to watch, but that doesn't make someone who points out his flaws a 'hater'. Some people can actually have a balanced view of him. Is he a very good and exciting player? Heck yes. Is he a perfect player? Heck no.

Feel free to read other posts I've made on him if you think I'm just a hater who likes to rant about him:

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42841&highlight=Vick

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2311503&highlight=Vick#post2311503

Halsey
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
did someone in this thread call you a hater? or did you just make that up, as well?

You know what I meant. You're just being argumentative, as usual. If you don't like my posts, don't read them. They clearly bother you so much. I'm just gonna stop reading yours again if you're just going to invite arguments. Or you could just ban me or something. Don't expect me to care, however. There's plenty of forums to talk football on.

dregolll
09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
In my opinion, Vick is a more "dynamic" prospect than Manning, Elway and Palmer and any other NFL prospect because he has the ball in his hands on every play. Notice I mentioned the word "dynamic", Peyton Manning is not box office by any means, Micheal Vick is.

Halsey
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
yes, i regularly ban people i disagree with. and of course i'm just being argumentative, by calling you out on your bs. poor, picked on you.

Yeah, you really called out the bs of me responding to what was in the thread author's actual post. And yes, I realize the title said "most dynamic", but the post and the title said two different things.

brat316
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Idk, Calvin Johnson was pretty dynamic.

Charles Rogers was damn impressive as well. Only if Vick and the height and weight he would be.

brat316
09-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Also Bo Jackson, Reggie Bush, Faulk. If Reggie Bush played Qb...that would have been an even better college career.

TACKLE
09-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Most Dynamic? Probably.

The only other prospects I'd put alongside him as far as "most dynamic" are Bo and Deion.

ThePudge
09-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Reggie Bush was the most dynamic prospect I can really remember breaking down for the NFL draft. Vick was beyond rare, but that's just not how I'd draw up the perfect QB prospect. Obviously there's nothing perfect about Reggie Bush, but his versatility, elusiveness, and speed was something unmatched by any college player since. The best WR/RB/KR/PR prospect you'll find.

Don Vito
09-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Most Dynamic? Probably.

The only other prospects I'd put alongside him as far as "most dynamic" are Bo and Deion.

Yeah I'd agree. I mean his arm is up there with the best prospects we've ever seen, he could run like a running back, and he was a physical freak. He might not be 6-4, but you'd be hard pressed to find a player who was/is as gifted as a thrower and a runner.

Babylon
09-30-2010, 03:05 PM

You're covering a couple of differant bases there, i'd tend to agree with the first (with no disrespect to Jim Brown, O.J. and Gale Sayers) and then i'd disagree with the second (being a better prospect than Elway)

FUNBUNCHER
09-30-2010, 03:37 PM
The OP contradicted himself with his thread title and post, but yeah, I gotta agree that Vick may be the most dynamic pro QB prospect most of us have ever seen.

(Dwight Freeney OWNED Vick in college, btw!!)

However, in the '50s, '60s and '70s, if you were Black and could run like the wind and throw the ball a mile, and could also play QB, NO NFL TEAM was going to give you a shot to play QB, except the Steelers.

If Vick had been drafted in 1971, he would have been a tailback, end of story.

Werowance
09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes and I've been touting him as that for a long time. Michael Vick is the best PROSPECT ever, not the best college player ever, not the best player ever, simply the best prospect.

Definition of Prospect: (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prospect)

4. a : the act of looking forward : anticipation
b : a mental picture of something to come : vision
c : something that is awaited or expected : possibility
6. b : a likely candidate for a job or position

Can anyone think of a prospect who at the time of the draft, looking forward and creating a mental picture of something to come had greater upside than Mike Vick? Honestly? Was there ever a prospect that had the same immense gifts, potential and talents of Vick? He might not be the prototype QB prospect that many people look for but there is no player in any draft IMO that has had the type of upside that Mike Vick possesses, he was supposed to be the ultimate weapon.

And the only answer to this question is yes, because not only is the fact that Vick is the best prospect up for debate but when you change the question to the most dynamic prospect ever, this shouldn't even be up for debate. Can anyone here name me another prospect with the straight line speed of Chris Johnson, the elusiveness of Reggie Bush and an arm that can send the ball 60 yards down field with the flick of the wrist? Anyone? Vick is the most dynamic prospect ever.

Prowler
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM
when the hell has proper grammar and football ever been linked. nobody except canadians care about that crap. john elway is reference enough to talk about best prospect ever. this is a football forum, not a mensa exam. bridging two similar enough topics due to confusing wording isn't that big of a deal.

personally, i don't think mike vick was close to being the most dynamic prospect ever. i'd take half the top 10 of the 2007 draft over vick as dynamic prototype players at their positions. (peterson, calvin johnson, joe thomas, patrick willis-pick 11)

vick was drafted number one because the nfl had a run of horrible qb prospects. there wasn't much in his draft class(2001) or similar years chad pennington(2000), david carr(2002), patrick ramsey(2001). everybody had question marks. drew brees was taken in the 2nd round, but he was a relative midget just like vick and did not have vick's magical ability to sell jerseys and tickets. if vick were available in this next year's draft then he would go in the tim tebow spot at the mid to end of round 1.

i love watching him on the field, and would draft vick #1 in a game of backyard football everyday. however, vince young had accomplished more than vick heading into the draft.

Halsey
09-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Vick was the best QB prospect ever....if you overvalue running and take height, mechanics, experience, polish, accuracy, intelligence and leadership skills out of the equation. Those things matter in real QB scouting. Maybe they don't in Madden scouting or in evaluating how entertaining a player is. However, if you're actually scouting a player as a QB prosect, they do.

descendency
09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
In the 15ish years I've watched the NFL, yes. Absolutely. As an offensive weapon, there was no answer.

Phillysteeler
09-30-2010, 06:16 PM
It depends on your definition of dynamic, but one person I think that deserves some consideration is Charles Woodson. I realize at corner you can't do a great deal, but in college he played corner, wr, pr, and kr. He won the heisman as a db and is the only player to ever win it whose primary position was on defense. Am I saying he is the most dynamic? Not really, but he deserves some consideration.

brat316
09-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes and I've been touting him as that for a long time. Michael Vick is the best PROSPECT ever, not the best college player ever, not the best player ever, simply the best prospect.

Can anyone think of a prospect who at the time of the draft, looking forward and creating a mental picture of something to come had greater upside than Mike Vick? Honestly? Was there ever a prospect that had the same immense gifts, potential and talents of Vick? He might not be the prototype QB prospect that many people look for but there is no player in any draft IMO that has had the type of upside that Mike Vick possesses, he was supposed to be the ultimate weapon.

And the only answer to this question is yes, because not only is the fact that Vick is the best prospect up for debate but when you change the question to the most dynamic prospect ever, this shouldn't even be up for debate. Can anyone here name me another prospect with the straight line speed of Chris Johnson, the elusiveness of Reggie Bush and an arm that can send the ball 60 yards down field with the flick of the wrist? Anyone? Vick is the most dynamic prospect ever.

Reggie Bush?

Day One Pick
09-30-2010, 07:05 PM
No, Reggie Bush was. Wait no, Bo Jackson was. Wait no, Deion Sanders was. Or was it Hershel Walker? I guess there's been a lot.

lowlife
09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm on the Reggie Bush train. One way trip to where ever Dynamic is.

I wasn't as Draft-centric as I am now, but I remember people calling him a Top 3 pick as a receiver alone.

brat316
09-30-2010, 07:45 PM

Can anyone think of a prospect who at the time of the draft, looking forward and creating a mental picture of something to come had greater upside than Reggie Bush? Honestly? Was there ever a prospect that had the same immense gifts, potential and talents of Bush? He might not be the prototype RB prospect that many people look for but there is no player in any draft IMO that has had the type of upside that Reggie Bush possesses, he was supposed to be the ultimate weapon.

And the only answer to this question is yes, because not only is the fact that Bush is the best prospect up for debate but when you change the question to the most dynamic prospect ever, this shouldn't even be up for debate. Can anyone here name me another prospect with the straight line speed of Chris Johnson, the ability to start and stop of (insert name), the KR/PR ability of (insert name) or change of direction ability of (insert name) and the hands of (insert WR)? Anyone? Bush is the most dynamic prospect ever.

You see what I did there.

(Now insert img of I see what you did there)

SickwithIt1010
09-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Most dynamic? very well could be...arguement for him and bush?

boknows34
09-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Vick college highlights

akzUKbrvKts

WCH
10-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Vick was the best QB prospect ever....if you overvalue running and take height, mechanics, experience, polish, accuracy, intelligence and leadership skills out of the equation. Those things matter in real QB scouting. Maybe they don't in Madden scouting or in evaluating how entertaining a player is. However, if you're actually scouting a player as a QB prosect, they do.

This is the money quote of the thread, IMO.

Also, regarding the most dynamic prospect ever, I would like to suggest Barry Sanders:

After playing high school ball at North Wichita High School, Sanders played in college at Oklahoma State University. His first two years were spent primarily as a back up to All-American, and future NFL star Thurman Thomas. Despite being a backup, Sanders was still able to rack up a combined 947 yards rushing and 11 rushing touchdowns his first two years. However, it was when Thomas left for the NFL after the 1987 season that Sanders was able to make his mark on college football, and a large mark it was. As a junior in 1988, Sanders set 34 NCAA records on his way to winning the Heisman Trophy. Among those records were: single season rushing yards ( 2,628 ), total yards ( 3,249 ), rushing touchdowns ( 37 ), total touchdowns ( 39 ), and most points ( 234 ). Some have called this the greatest season in the history of college football. In addition to the Heisman, Sanders also won the Maxwell Award, the Walter Camp Award, and was a First Team All-American that same year. Following this incredible season, Sanders decided to skip his senior year and enter the NFL Draft.
http://www.sporthaven.com/players/barry-sanders/

boknows34
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Barry was incredible in 1988 - just like every other year I guess.

q7S8wN_tL5Y

JRTPlaya21
10-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I think we have a winner in Barry.

EvilMonkey
10-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Major Applewhite

Day One Pick
10-03-2010, 10:51 AM
Barry was incredible in 1988 - just like every other year I guess.

q7S8wN_tL5Y

Barry Sanders is what caused me to be a draftnik. I was so intrigued on who would draft him.

katnip
10-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Since 2000

Is it safe to say its between Mike Vick & Reggie Bush? I remember some analysts saying "OMG, Bush = Gale Sayers." etc etc

I never liked Reggie Bush though as a NFL player.