PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

V.I.P
09-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Adrian Clayborn is a guy i've been doing alot of research (YouTube highlights) on the last couple of days. I rarely get Iowa games in my area, so i hardly get to see him play. So i have a few questions....

- Is there a drop-off from Cameron Hayward to Adrian Clayborn?

- What's the positives, and negatives on Clayborn?

- Is he better suited to play DE in a 3-4 or 4-3 in the NFL?

- Where is he projected to go in the first round?

That is all!

Babylon
09-30-2010, 04:55 PM
This guy seems to get his own thread quite regularly around here.

I think seeing him in the top half of the 1st round is a bit high and i wouldnt really compare him to Heyward either, i think Clayborn is a 4-3 DE and Heyward can go either 4-3 or 3-4 DE. Heyward is the top guy on the line to me and Jared Crick would be the top 3-4 DE after that.

RaiderNation
09-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Adrian Clayborn is a guy i've been doing alot of research (YouTube highlights) on the last couple of days. I rarely get Iowa games in my area, so i hardly get to see him play. So i have a few questions....

- Is there a drop-off from Cameron Hayward to Adrian Clayborn?

- What's the positives, and negatives on Clayborn?

- Is he better suited to play DE in a 3-4 or 4-3 in the NFL?

- Where is he projected to go in the first round?

That is all!

IMO no there is no drop off between the 2, instead just a different players that fit different schemes. Clayborn is a 4-3 DE and Heyward is a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. I have him as a top 10 pick

POS: Has NFL ready size, effective against both the pass and the run(11.5 sacks and 20 TFL last season). Has a high motor and added pass rush moves from last year. Good speed off the edge for a man his size.

CONS: Small off-field issue concerning assault arrest, probably wont have the best timed speed even though he is explosive.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/305577/pooper-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/440382/clayborn-grigsby-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/399770/dftyju-o.gif
http://www.gifsoup.com/view/440360/clayborn-punt-return-o.gif

A Perfect Score
09-30-2010, 05:32 PM
There are 10,0000 threads on him already, but once again...

Yes, he can play in a variety of schemes. The consensus seems to be he's best suited as a LDE in a 4-3 and Im inclined to agree with it. However, in the right scheme he could most definitely be a 5 tech.

Him and Heyward are different players. Heyward would play inside at the 3 tech in a 4-3 and at the 5 tech in a 3-4, similar to Richard Seymour. Clayborn is probably a bit more similar to Justin Smith, a guy I've compared to him on other occasions.

When it's all said and done, I think he goes in the Top 10. He's a better football player then Tyson Jackson was coming out.

V.I.P
09-30-2010, 09:41 PM
There are 10,0000 threads on him already,

This guy seems to get his own thread quite regularly around here.

I haven't been in the draft forum since April, I guess i should've used the search bar.

I think seeing him in the top half of the 1st round is a bit high and i wouldnt really compare him to Heyward either, i think Clayborn is a 4-3 DE and Heyward can go either 4-3 or 3-4 DE. Heyward is the top guy on the line to me and Jared Crick would be the top 3-4 DE after that.

IMO no there is no drop off between the 2, instead just a different players that fit different schemes. Clayborn is a 4-3 DE and Heyward is a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT. I have him as a top 10 pick

POS: Has NFL ready size, effective against both the pass and the run(11.5 sacks and 20 TFL last season). Has a high motor and added pass rush moves from last year. Good speed off the edge for a man his size.

CONS: Small off-field issue concerning assault arrest, probably wont have the best timed speed even though he is explosive.

Yes, he can play in a variety of schemes. The consensus seems to be he's best suited as a LDE in a 4-3 and Im inclined to agree with it. However, in the right scheme he could most definitely be a 5 tech.

Him and Heyward are different players. Heyward would play inside at the 3 tech in a 4-3 and at the 5 tech in a 3-4, similar to Richard Seymour. Clayborn is probably a bit more similar to Justin Smith, a guy I've compared to him on other occasions.

When it's all said and done, I think he goes in the Top 10. He's a better football player then Tyson Jackson was coming out.

Thank you all for the info, He's a prospect that i'm hoping The Buccaneers take a long, and hard look at come April. He's getting it done on that d-line, picture when he has Gerald McCoy, and Brian Price besides him!

HellonEarth84
10-03-2010, 12:05 AM
Could he play DE in a 34?

holt_bruce81
10-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I honestly think (and I need to watch more games of him) he could be the next Justin Tuck.

PossibleCabbage
10-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Could he play DE in a 34?

Yes, that's what people mean when they say "he could play 5-tech". Since a 3-4 DE plays the 5-technique (outside shoulder of the guard) whereas a 4-3 DE plays the 7-technique generally (outside shoulder of the tackle).

Probably not Clayborn's best position, but he's got sufficient size (6'3" 285 and can fill out some more, and his intensity and motor speak well to this. As a 3-4 DE, I'd want him more in a 1-gap system (like Dallas runs) than a 2-gap system (like New England runs).

4-3 LDE is probably his best position though.

J-Mike88
03-21-2011, 12:43 PM
There are 10,0000 threads on him already, but once again...

What's the latest on Clayborn and his "health" issue? Where are our Iowa guys here?

DeepThreat
03-21-2011, 04:04 PM
When it's all said and done, I think he goes in the Top 10.

I could not disagree more with this statement. Clayborn was a disruptive player as a junior, but he was so bad last year. At times he appeared to be out of shape, and he really just isn't a pass rusher at all. He needs to gain some weight to play in most 3-4 defenses, and in a 4-3 he isn't quick or disruptive enough. All this combined with his character concerns and I think he's a 2nd round pick.

bored of education
03-21-2011, 06:06 PM
When it's all said and done, I think he goes in the Top 10.

um what :O

ToldLikeItIs
03-21-2011, 06:09 PM
He'll go mid 1st.

Will Ballard sneak in? That's the question.

bitonti
03-21-2011, 06:12 PM
What's the latest on Clayborn and his "health" issue? Where are our Iowa guys here?

JMO Christian Ballard goes before Adrian Clayborn. Ballard's been working out like a freak lately.

Thats not to say some team doesn't get a steal with Clayborn but these two are trending in different directions.

according to the interwebz Clayborn allegedly had a condition called Erb's Palsy growing up it has effected the relative strength of his arms. One arm may be shorter than the other.

There's also a question about where he plays. Heyward is bulkier and can play anywhere, Clayborn might be a RDE in a 4-3 only.

Me Likey Rookies
03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
um what :O

He said that a year ago, before Clayborn's senior season. Still would love him to the Bucs at 20 if the arm condition checks out medically.

bored of education
03-21-2011, 06:20 PM
wow, I just noticed that post date. Sorry

iowatreat54
03-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Clayborn has had the arm condition his whole career, so I don't understand why it would make a big deal for him now. Is it something to take into consideration? Absolutely. But it's not something like knee injuries or back injuries or whatever that will pop up randomly throughout his career. He's always played with it and what you've seen from him is what you get with it.

That said, I think he does have to work on his tackling form. He sometimes doesn't wrap up too well, and that may be a cause of the arm thing, or might be just lack of fundamental tackling.

I think the real concern should be his stamina, as shown during this past season. I don't know what it was, but he noticeably was unproductive either from being held in check due to fatigue or putting forth less effort to conserve/rest.

DeepThreat
03-21-2011, 06:31 PM
wow, I just noticed that post date. Sorry

This x10000000. I blame boe for my error.

Iamcanadian
03-21-2011, 11:30 PM
There is some talk of him slipping to round 2 on the NFL Network, short arms and poor senior season.

Wrathman
03-22-2011, 12:07 AM
There is some talk of him slipping to round 2 on the NFL Network, short arms and poor senior season.

17 reps of 225 today did not help a lot either. I agree, I think he'll slide some.

ToldLikeItIs
03-22-2011, 12:37 AM
He won't slide.

He's 6'3 285, plenty of on-field production, mid-4.7 forty, fastest shuttle at combine, just had a 7.08 cone in pro day, 35.5 vert, and really has the lower body of a safety.

Sportsfan486
03-22-2011, 01:17 AM
17 reps of 225 today did not help a lot either. I agree, I think he'll slide some.

He only did 17 reps? Wow.. that's really disappointing. Especially considering short arms.. I mean.. 17 reps is possession WR territory.

herkyhawkeye
03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
He only did 17 reps? Wow.. that's really disappointing. Especially considering short arms.. I mean.. 17 reps is possession WR territory.

One thing that is important to note about Iowa players and the bench. The Sand C coach at Iowa does not emphasize the bench whatsoever. For years Iowa players have not done well on the bench at the combine. They just dont.

With Clayborn. People overemphasize a moment of weakness in terms of character issues. He pushed a cabbie for throwing the n word out. He otherwise was a model citizen and was a 4 year member of the leadership council. I have met the guy. Actually one of the nicer guys you will meet.

People make a huge deal out of his Erbs Palsy. It really hasnt hampered him whatsoever.

People overemphasize his lack of effort this past season. Dude wasnt lazy. A ton of Iowa players lost focus last season. The team lost to Minnesota at the end of the year. It wasnt just him. The team lacked the it factor and by the end of the year, it was apparent the whole team was frustrated. Clayborn was fantastic against Michigan and PSU early in the year,

His production went down this year due to a lot of factors. Hes going to get drafted mid to late 1st round. Hes a 280 lbs DE with the best hands/change of direction in the draft who will be a good pro. He doesnt have character or health issues. He played 15 pounds too heavy that took away his stamina. He played with no Lber depth behind him. He played for an Iowa team that lost a lot of heartbreakers. His numbers went down but hes no worse of a player. The fact he is back to 280 at his pro day/combine is whats important. He never should have been playing at 295. That was the difference between 2010 and 2009.That and all the distractions. Iowas lbers were beat to all hell after losing two to the nfl.

Iamcanadian
03-22-2011, 08:50 PM
The odds suggest he will go late round 1 but I have heard suggestions on the NFL Network that he is slipping and could windup in early round 2.
Could be just rumours or where there is smoke there is fire, just no way to know till draft day.

V.I.P
08-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Thank you all for the info, Adrian Clayborn is a prospect that i'm hoping The Buccaneers take a long, and hard look at come April. He's getting it done on that d-line, picture when he has Gerald McCoy, and Brian Price besides him!

Was going through my threads created. Pretty cool :)

bullg8rdaddy
08-12-2011, 12:35 AM
lol

well done, sir.