PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech

Fat_Actor
10-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Why is everyone so high on this guy? He is nothing special and looks like an average back it best. My opinion I think he sucks.

San Diego Chicken
10-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Certainly doesn't help that VT's entire team has underachieved.

V.I.P
10-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Why is everyone so high on this guy? He is nothing special and looks like an average back it best. My opinion I think he sucks.

It's V-I-P not V.I.P

Ps, you're a dumass....

LonghornsLegend
10-01-2010, 03:26 PM
^^LOL@your sig

Fat_Actor
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
It's V-I-P not V.I.P

Ps, you're a dumass....

Yeah, and I almost got herpes when I googled your mom.

V.I.P
10-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Yeah, and I almost got herpes when I googled your mom.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/66250/facepalm-o.gif

How old are you kid?

BRAVEHEART
10-01-2010, 04:35 PM
Ryan Williams is the truth, don't know where "average at best" comes from. Not a great season this year, but let's not act like last season didn't happen. Dude was tearin it up, and taking dudes to the endzone (literally).

FUNBUNCHER
10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Injuries and a **** Va Tech oline is killing Ryan this season. If he drops, he'll be a steal for someone. His talent is undeniable.

Doesn't help to comment on players you've never seen play.

JRTPlaya21
10-01-2010, 05:16 PM
This guy just seems to hate Ru for some reason. No biggie. If he ended up in DC I would be more then ecstatic.

Fat_Actor
10-01-2010, 06:40 PM
If he is so freaking good then give me a comparison so I might have a perspective on where he is at. I am saying Justin Fargas or maybe a poor man's DeAngelo Williams.

nepg
10-01-2010, 07:52 PM
He reminds me of MB3. He's not a poor man's anybody. He can do everything and his production just isn't matching up with his level of play right now. He looks good running and catching the ball, but that OL sucks...and I'm not quite sure what else is keeping his numbers down... They've played some solid defenses and their offensive coordinator is a piece of ****, so I guess that plays into it a bit.

BRAVEHEART
10-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd say a "slightly" poor man's DeAngelo Williams. Fargas is a completely different runner.

FUNBUNCHER
10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
If he is so freaking good then give me a comparison so I might have a perspective on where he is at. I am saying Justin Fargas or maybe a poor man's DeAngelo Williams.

Go watch the '09 season again . It will answer all the questions you have about Williams.

ElectricEye
10-01-2010, 11:36 PM
I'm not on board quite yet. I don' think he'll end up testing quite as fast as people think he will and he's really not all that big or strong. Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being drafted out of the first round.

JHL6719
10-02-2010, 03:51 AM
He's not in Mark Ingram's category when you project them to the NFL... but the kid is a nice little back.

I don't think Williams is nearly as NFL ready as all the hype suggests...

Day One Pick
10-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Ryan Williams and Dion Lewis are both in the same boat this year. Both have aweful offensive lines blocking for them, and they are both the primary focus of opposing defenses (especially Lewis). Both are plenty talented, and both are solid NFL prospects.

Shane P. Hallam
10-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Ryan Williams to me has still shown some elite skills, but the Tech O-line is pretty terrible. I watch the Boise game, and Williams looked like a great all around player. I still don't think he declares...

A Perfect Score
10-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't like him nearly as much as Mark Ingram or DeMarco Murray. And Im with Jbond, I don't think he comes out this year anyways. That said, I agree he looked good in the Boise game. I think when he gets healthy we are going to see something though, he's got the skills to be a very good RB.

Shane P. Hallam
10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
I don't like him nearly as much as Mark Ingram or DeMarco Murray. And Im with Jbond, I don't think he comes out this year anyways. That said, I agree he looked good in the Boise game. I think when he gets healthy we are going to see something though, he's got the skills to be a very good RB.

Slightly less talented than Murray from a complete standpoint (I'd say Williams is more explosive and elusive,) seemingly far less injury prone.

dannyz
10-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I think he Declares because he will still have a bad O-Line next year and at lest he can compete with Mark Ingram he does not have a chance with Trent Richardson.

BamaFalcon59
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
RW is still one of the top two backs in the nation IMO. I had him #1, but Ingram has looked even better than before this season.

If anyone has seen our OL run block, they know why his numbers are so down.

I'll stand by what I said... Extremely complete back who can do everything. Fast enough, extremely quick and agile, great vision, great blocker, great hands. And he's an excellent goal line back.

PrimetimeTheDon
10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Total beast. Before the season started I would have rated him ahead of Ingram and I still give him a solid 1st round grade.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Reminds me a bit of Marshawn Lynch.

vatech=accdomination
10-02-2010, 07:52 PM
He got owned early in the season because of our OLine, then he got hurt, and our Oline started doing better.......He has not played a full game since like the September 11, so this thread seems out of place.

Werowance
10-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Wrong thread, my bad...

PrimetimeTheDon
10-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Slightly less talented than Murray from a complete standpoint (I'd say Williams is more explosive and elusive,) seemingly far less injury prone.

Demarco Murray does not look like an NFL RB at this point. How in the world you are drawing this comparison is confusing to me. He is a 4.5 guy who is a speed guy. Athletic and useful hands, but runs very upright, not effective between the tackles and does not bring anything to the table that say, Leon Washington doesn't.

FUNBUNCHER
11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Williams had a monster day against the U today, 14 carries, 142 yards, 2 TDs.
He finally looks healthy, ( had an 80+ run for a score), so is he still the 2nd best RB in the draft after Ingram, despite the down season statistically??

goldenbear.cal
11-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Williams has durability question now, and will cause him to slip, probably as far as the 2nd round. Guys like Leshoure and Bilal Powell has emerge to battle for that #2 spot RB. LaMichael James also has a shot to be the #2 back taken.

ThePudge
11-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Williams has durability question now, and will cause him to slip, probably as far as the 2nd round. Guys like Leshoure and Bilal Powell has emerge to battle for that #2 spot RB. LaMichael James also has a shot to be the #2 back taken.

Next year? James isn't eligible.

wonderbredd24
11-20-2010, 07:53 PM
After dissapointing against Boise State and the loss to JMU, a lot of people sort of forgot about Williams. But now they are going to be in the ACC Title and a bowl game, possibly a BCS bowl, so he should have opportunities to impress

goldenbear.cal
11-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Next year? James isn't eligible.

Hes a RS Sophomore, hes eligible. And it would be a mistake for him if he goes back because his stock can't be any higher than it is right now. Hes a heisman candidate and plays for the #1 team in the nation, I say hes having a hell of season.

wonderbredd24
11-20-2010, 07:54 PM
Hes a RS Sophomore, hes eligible. And it would be a mistake for him if he goes back because his stock can't be any higher than it is right now. Hes a heisman candidate and plays for the #1 team in the nation, I say hes having a hell of season.
The skinny legs... they scare me.

goldenbear.cal
11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
The skinny legs... they scare me.

Warrick Dunn had skinny legs, he did pretty well. Thats actually the player I compare James to.

FUNBUNCHER
11-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Warrick Dunn had skinny legs, he did pretty well. Thats actually the player I compare James to.

So do Reggie Bush, CJ and McFadden.
IMO you really have to do your homework on a RB who has a poor base as a runner.
Some can cut it at the pro level, many simply can't running between the tackles.
Warrick Dunn was a freak, to be 5-8, 185# and be a primary runner for much of his pro career. It's hard to compare many RBs prospects to him IMHO.

goldenbear.cal
11-20-2010, 08:36 PM
So do Reggie Bush, CJ and McFadden.
IMO you really have to do your homework on a RB who has a poor base as a runner.
Some can cut it at the pro level, many simply can't running between the tackles.
Warrick Dunn was a freak, to be 5-8, 185# and be a primary runner for much of his pro career. It's hard to compare many RBs prospects to him IMHO.

I can't see why Lamichael James can't have the same NFL career as Dunn. I mean it's not like Dunn was an elite prospect himself, his size and build was a question as well just like James. But I just find the both of them pretty similar in size, speed, quickness, and the type of back that they are. I think LaMichael will translate to the NFL.

wonderbredd24
11-20-2010, 08:42 PM
So much depends on how smart a team is with how they use him... like Eric Metcalf.

I just think you're foolish if you think you're gonna get very far slamming him up the middle and having NFL linebackers chopping down those running sticks of his.

FUNBUNCHER
11-20-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't see why Lamichael James can't have the same NFL career as Dunn. I mean it's not like Dunn was an elite prospect himself, his size and build was a question as well just like James. But I just find the both of them pretty similar in size, speed, quickness, and the type of back that they are. I think LaMichael will translate to the NFL.

Dunn was the 12th pick overall in the 1997 draft.

ThePudge
11-20-2010, 09:38 PM
God damn, I've been wrong about two players eligibility/class tonight. I love LaMichael James. If Ray Rice can be a feature back in the league then James can be. He's undersized but so quick, with excellent vision & breakaway speed. I'm a big fan & I think when he comes out he'll be a Late 1st-Early 2nd Round pick.

goldenbear.cal
11-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Dunn was the 12th pick overall in the 1997 draft.

But back then, RBs were taken higher compared to today. Teams were actually spending top 5 picks on RBs (see Ki Jana Carter, Curtis Enis, etc), today it is very rare that a RB goes in top 10. If Dunn was playing in this era, he would be drafted in late first/early 2nd.

shylo3716
11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Ryan Williams=Shaun Alexander (in run style)

BamaFalcon59
11-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Ryan Williams=Shaun Alexander (in run style)

Not at all.

Not only do I not see it in running style, but Williams is the opposite of soft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB2TfY03kG4

Not even close.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I see a faster Michael Turner in RWill.

shylo3716
11-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm not saying he's soft but how he runs he reminds ME of Alexander.

BamaFalcon59
11-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I see a faster Michael Turner in RWill.

Again, horrible comparison.

Turner has very little wiggle.

I honestly don't know who to compare Williams to. DeAngelo Williams maybe.

goldenbear.cal
11-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Again, horrible comparison.

Turner has very little wiggle.

I honestly don't know who to compare Williams to. DeAngelo Williams maybe.

Well the best comparison I can think for Ryan Williams is Knowshon Moreno.

BamaFalcon59
11-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Well the best comparison I can think for Ryan Williams is Knowshon Moreno.

That's not bad, either.

A mix between Moreno and Williams sounds about right.

PhinsRock
11-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Williams is over-rated. I'll agree there. He's not DeAngelo Williams like some make him out to be. But to say he is just average is a stretch.

He's going good burst and open field speed. Good elusiveness and vision. This season more so than last, he got arm tackled through the hole quite a bit, which is disappointing. Not sure how much the injuries played a role in that.

I like him as a 2nd round pick....MAYBE a late first rounder.

Personally, I think he should stay in school. I understand the risk involved, especially with the rookie cap possible being put in place in 2012. But I think with a good season he could go from 30-50 type of a guy, to 10-20.

Black Bolt
11-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Williams is over-rated. I'll agree there. He's not DeAngelo Williams like some make him out to be. But to say he is just average is a stretch.

He's going good burst and open field speed. Good elusiveness and vision. This season more so than last, he got arm tackled through the hole quite a bit, which is disappointing. Not sure how much the injuries played a role in that.

I like him as a 2nd round pick....MAYBE a late first rounder.

Personally, I think he should stay in school. I understand the risk involved, especially with the rookie cap possible being put in place in 2012. But I think with a good season he could go from 30-50 type of a guy, to 10-20.

Then he's not overrated. That's exactly where he is projected, a late first/early second. And the guy who started this thread should know that he has been playing injured all year long.

BamaFalcon59
11-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Fwiw Ahmad Bradshaw has a little Ryan Williams in him too IMO.

BaLLiN
11-21-2010, 08:46 PM
I see alot of Marshawn Lynch in him:

Lynch
5'11'' 217
40 time- 4.46
vert jump: 35 1/2

Williams
5'10'' 202
proj 40 time- 4.45 (4.49 from hokie workout in 2008)
proj vert jump: 39 1/2 (39 1/2 from hokie workout in 2009)

Both run with a little wiggle yet they are powerful and go into beast mode. Larry Johnson is another guy who is similar, and a less elusive Arian Foster is another comparison i like.

BamaFalcon59
11-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Not a bad comparison. However, I don't think Lynch moves nearly as well laterally as RW.

RW also won't run a 4.45, but his game speed is there.

BaLLiN
11-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Not a bad comparison. However, I don't think Lynch moves nearly as well laterally as RW.

RW also won't run a 4.45, but his game speed is there.

yeah i agree, but with the training that these guys do, its not out of reach. From what i saw out of Lynch when he was at Cal, that was what really stood out, so if Williams has that much lateral agility, then he must be pretty good.

BamaFalcon59
11-21-2010, 10:02 PM
yeah i agree, but with the training that these guys do, its not out of reach. From what i saw out of Lynch when he was at Cal, that was what really stood out, so if Williams has that much lateral agility, then he must be pretty good.

Maybe I'm thinking more along of the NFL version of Lynch, but RW does have insane movement. His cutback ability is ridiculous.

BaLLiN
11-21-2010, 10:08 PM
Maybe I'm thinking more along of the NFL version of Lynch, but RW does have insane movement. His cutback ability is ridiculous.

One thing i noticed from williams is that once he gets going, having a good game, he just doesn't stop. Against one of the best defenses in the country, Alabama, he was in beast mode. I think he needs to be in a 2 back system tho, because when he's off its just 3 yard carries mostly i feel. But thats just from limited viewing.

BamaFalcon59
11-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Yeah, he could use a two RB system.

He has everything you could want in a RB IMO (power, big play ability, blocking, receiving), but his size (5'10" 210) might hinder him.

He definitely does his best when he is in a groove though.

dannyz
11-21-2010, 11:17 PM
What is bad about his size? with all these small RB's who are smaller than RW doing good why should that hurt him? He is not as big as AP or S-Jax but he is bigger than some good RB's like Gore.MJD,Rice.

PhinsRock
11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I see alot of Marshawn Lynch in him:

Lynch
5'11'' 217
40 time- 4.46
vert jump: 35 1/2

Williams
5'10'' 202
proj 40 time- 4.45 (4.49 from hokie workout in 2008)
proj vert jump: 39 1/2 (39 1/2 from hokie workout in 2009)

Both run with a little wiggle yet they are powerful and go into beast mode. Larry Johnson is another guy who is similar, and a less elusive Arian Foster is another comparison i like.

Williams isn't nearly as powerful as Lynch.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
What is bad about his size? with all these small RB's who are smaller than RW doing good why should that hurt him? He is not as big as AP or S-Jax but he is bigger than some good RB's like Gore.MJD,Rice.

Huh? He isn't bigger than any of those guys. Taller yes, bigger, no.

Black Bolt
11-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Williams isn't nearly as powerful as Lynch.

Yeah, but he is flat out BETTER than Lynch. Williams is the type of back that can wear out a defense with carries.

A Perfect Score
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Yeah, but he is flat out BETTER than Lynch. Williams is the type of back that can wear out a defense with carries.

Marshawn Lynch was a much better back at Cal then Ryan Williams is now. He was bigger, faster, more powerful, was just as shifty. There's a reason he went 12th overall and some people like him better then AD. Its because he was really really good. People seem to forget that with his recent pro struggles.

FUNBUNCHER
11-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Lynch was more consistent in college, not necessarily 'better' than RW.
Lynch never came close to putting up the numbers that Ryan WIlliams did last year at Va Tech.
Agree that Lynch was bigger, more powerful, similar lateral quickness and about the same speed.

TitanHope
11-23-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't see the Marshawn Lynch comparison, but maybe it's just me.

FUNBUNCHER
11-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I think it's the hair.
http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/marshawn-lynch-photo.jpghttp://www2.insidenova.com/mgmedia/image/294/0/93157/ryan_williams_gears_up_for_another_season/

jballa838
01-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Joe Schad reporting a 1-2 round grade from the advisory committee.
http://twitter.com/#!/schadjoe
Said Williams is unsure about going into draft, said preconceived notions of him not being durable could be something scouts hold against him, and he doesn't want that.

DBNYDP
01-04-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not high on Williams.
I'm very worried about his durability. At a position that is very physically demanding and already injury prone, taking a guy like Williams could be a huge waste. Also his production on the field this season really worries me...

FUNBUNCHER
01-04-2011, 04:30 AM
He's had a bad hammy this season. Nothing major, but he wasn't really healthy all year.
Adrian Peterson's injury concerns were more worrisome coming into the league, IMO.

1funguy
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Evans and Williams both got their evaluations back from the NFL Draft advisory committee. Evans said the evaluations were split into three groups: players that are expected to be taken in the first through third round, players that are expected to go in the fourth through seventh rounds and players that may go undrafted. He said he was told to expect to be selected in the fourth through seventh rounds.
"It's a big plus," Evans said. "I don't want to put my name in there and they say I'm not going to get drafted, so that's one thing I'm going to definitely take into consideration. Then, coach (Frank) Beamer also said that there were some scouts at different practices and they thought higher (rounds for me). That's always a plus, too. Whatever decision I make, whether I stay or go, I'm going to work my tail off."
Williams said he was told specifically to expect to be taken in the first or second round. After running four times for just four yards against Stanford, he said the Orange Bowl experience didn't bring him any closer to a decision.

Link (http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/college/accblog/2011/01/techs_darren_evans_and_ryan_wi.html)

FUNBUNCHER
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
RBs IMO should worry less about when they're drafted, and be more concerned about coming into training camp with the mindset of dominating every rep they get in practice.

In the future, RBs will make more money on their 2nd contract IMO, not the first, after they've proven they're a reliable quantity.

1funguy
01-05-2011, 12:05 PM
RBs IMO should worry less about when they're drafted, and be more concerned about coming into training camp with the mindset of dominating every rep they get in practice.

In the future, RBs will make more money on their 2nd contract IMO, not the first, after they've proven they're a reliable quantity.

RB's are becoming nearly a dime-a-dozen. It isn't position that should require much to get up to speed at the NFL level &, if you're good, you're going to get a lot of pounding. That is why I would seldom take a RB in the 1st, contrary to what my Chargers did last year.

Having said that .... because of the wear & tear, if a RB comes out of college with anything longer than a 3 yr. contract, he'd better shoot for the money because he could well be worn out/badly injured before the 2nd contract comes around.

goldenbear.cal
01-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I disagree with the Marshawn Lynch comparison. Ryan Williams compares favorably to Knowshawn Moreno.

Bald_81
01-09-2011, 07:19 PM
He finally declared today. Would it still be crazy to believe he could go in the first round? I can envision a team like Green Bay targetting him in the first round because despite the emergence of James Starks today, they could still use a RB.

Nalej
01-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I can't see it. The only RB that goes in the first, IMO, is M.Ingram...
... and I could honestly see him slide in the 2nd as well.
Like Scott, Shane and a bunch of other posters on this site say...
If it's not a once in a decade talent (A.Peterson) then you shouldn't draft a RB in the first
There's so much talent that you can get at that position at just about every other round in the draft

proshoota25
01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
i wouldnt touch him til the third round...