PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Best Center in the Draft?

JohnCandy
10-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Who is the best Center in the draft and where are they a good value to be picked?

How do they compare to an elite center prospect like Alex Mack?

Stefen Wisniewksi [Penn State] 6'3" 300lbs.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200804/20080420pppenn_state_10_500.jpg

Mike Pouncey [Florida] 6'4" 313lbs.

http://www.gatorcountry.com/images/uploads/football/PounceyMike_100101_3891_TCasey.jpg

Kristofer O'Dowd [USC] 6'5" 300lbs.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue/files/2008/10/l100472-1.jpg

bored of education
10-02-2010, 01:43 PM
I like odowd the most, i just feel he is the most polished and ready to steup in right away and dominate.

SW is a very good tactition.

JohnCandy
10-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I like odowd the most, i just feel he is the most polished and ready to steup in right away and dominate.

SW is a very good tactition.

Does O'Dowd's injury history not scare you off?

How do Wisniewski and O'Dowd compare with Alex Mack from a couple of years ago?

bored of education
10-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Mack was a stud, none of the named prospects are on his level.
Odowd's injuries are the only thing that may worry me other than that kid is a very good center and could play guard as well.

JohnCandy
10-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Mack was a stud, none of the named prospects are on his level.
Odowd's injuries are the only thing that may worry me other than that kid is a very good center and could play guard as well.

I agree with you about O'Dowd reminds me of Logan Mankins, just not as physical.

How would you grade them value wise,

Wisniewski 1st

O'Dowd 1st/2nd depending on Medical

Pouincey 1st as an OG, 2nd as a C

bored of education
10-02-2010, 01:54 PM
I am with you there rankings wise, I think SW more of a early mid 2nd same with odowd and pouncey i the mid 2nd to early 3rd. I think Wisniewski is a guy that will be a center for a long time but will he ever reach pro blow level..may be not. just a very good center for 8-10 years

JohnCandy
10-02-2010, 02:07 PM
I am with you there rankings wise, I think SW more of a early mid 2nd same with odowd and pouncey i the mid 2nd to early 3rd. I think Wisniewski is a guy that will be a center for a long time but will he ever reach pro blow level..may be not. just a very good center for 8-10 years

I agree it is hard to project centers into the 1st round, even though it has happened more and more lately.

I think of O'Dowd can show in the offseason that he is healthy and Wisniewski can play in the all star games and combine at 300lbs. + that would be huge.

It seems the only thing holding them back is,

Wisniewski, size and is he a center only.

O'Dowd, health.

RaiderNation
10-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Im still tied on O'Dowd and SW. Pouncey is a 2nd/3rd rounder as of now for me while the other 2 I can see maybe sneeking into the late 1st round.

Babylon
10-02-2010, 02:32 PM
No Mike Brewster love? Have to go with a healthy Odowd over anyone i've seen out there.

JohnCandy
10-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Im still tied on O'Dowd and SW. Pouncey is a 2nd/3rd rounder as of now for me while the other 2 I can see maybe sneeking into the late 1st round.

With the way interior OLs value has shot up in recent drafts I can see both O'Dowd and SW in the 22-32 range. Especially if they can answer some questions about themselves.

proshoota25
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
greg oden :)

Babylon
10-05-2010, 11:33 PM
greg oden :)

Take Kevin Durant instead.

BeerBaron
10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I voted O'Dowd and I think, if healthy, will be a late first round pick at C. The position is becoming more and more critical with so many teams converting to the 3-4, and he is the whole package outside of the healthy concerns.

However, out of these 3 players, I still have some faith in Pouncey that he'll be the highest drafted. He could probably make for the best G of the 3, and if he gets the hang of snapping the ball, could make for a good C as well.

I like Wisniewski but I think his ceiling is limited more than the other 2, and that will keep him out of the first round. More of a 2nd/3rd rounder in my mind, but could be an excellent center for many years in the league, along the lines of a Kreutz or Mawae perhaps.

descendency
10-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Pouncey is the best prospect of the 3, but as a guard. He's awful at one of the important responsibilities of a center - Snapping the ball. It's hurting Brantley too. (who is being hurt worse by Florida's ****** gimmick offense)

Out of the other two, I don't think either warrant a first round pick. I don't see the power/strength required to handle a nose tackle at the next level.

The best center might be a guard right now, Rodney Hudson. Once he gets out of FSU's abortion of a weight program, he could gain 30 lbs and not lose much of his athleticism. He's no where near his physical prime.

Sniper
10-06-2010, 01:03 PM
No Mike Brewster love? Have to go with a healthy Odowd over anyone i've seen out there.

I feel like Brewster's play regressed a tad this year.

Razor
10-06-2010, 01:19 PM
If O'Dowd could stay healthy he would be my #1 by a lot. but as long as he can't stay on the field I have to go with Wisniewksi.

San Diego Chicken
10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Pouncey can't snap the ball and was getting lit up like a Christmas tree last weekend, he can't possibly play center can he?

D-Unit
10-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Steve Schilling from Michigan is a guard now, but he was playing Center. Any thoughts on the possibility of an NFL team using him at C? Or does he project mainly to OG now?

K Train
10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Pouncey can't snap the ball and was getting lit up like a Christmas tree last weekend, he can't possibly play center can he?

he'll be the RG for the steelers. Maurkice is sweet sexual magic at snapping the ball, mike wont need to worry about that

P-L
10-06-2010, 03:17 PM
Steve Schilling from Michigan is a guard now, but he was playing Center. Any thoughts on the possibility of an NFL team using him at C? Or does he project mainly to OG now?
Steve Schilling was never a center. He played mostly right tackle and some right guard as a freshman, right tackle as a sophomore, and has made 17 consecutive starts at left guard since the beginning of the 2009 season.

Dave Molk is the current Michigan center and he is their best offensive lineman and best pro prospect. He's only a junior and probably won't declare for this year's draft, but watch out for him next year.

D-Unit
10-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Steve Schilling was never a center. He played mostly right tackle and some right guard as a freshman, right tackle as a sophomore, and has made 17 consecutive starts at left guard since the beginning of the 2009 season.

Dave Molk is the current Michigan center and he is their best offensive lineman and best pro prospect. He's only a junior and probably won't declare for this year's draft, but watch out for him next year.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Rabscuttle
10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
What about Rodney Hudson from FSU at 6'2" chances of staying at guard are anything but a sure thing?

descendency
10-07-2010, 10:05 PM
What about Rodney Hudson from FSU at 6'2" chances of staying at guard are anything but a sure thing?

An FSU alumnus I know has said that Hudson can play C. Right now, the weight program at FSU finally doesn't suck but Hudson was sick in the off-season, so he will be looked at as small for any OL position, which might cause him to fall.

If he does fall because of that, whatever team gets him in the early second will probably end up getting a (unnoticed) steal.

wicket
10-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I really want to see hudson playing center/snapping at the combine. would take a lot of worries away as he is better suited at center with his lack of size anyway. I love the kid cuz he is a gamer and i root for him to succeed.

Im not all that nuts about any center. I hate having centers with injury issues cuz rotating centers also impacts qbs imo. wisnieski is fine but nothing special (2nd round grade) and pouncey is overrated as hell imo, even as a guard and should be nowhere near a snappable ball ever again.

villagewarrior
10-15-2010, 01:40 AM
What do you guys think about Sampson Genus from South Florida. Watching him tonight against West Virginia's Chris Neild, I was impressed with his explosion off the ball and his strength. Looked very technically sound as well.

MaxV
10-15-2010, 08:19 AM
Wisniewski is playing as OG this year and not doing a very good job.

I would not pick him in the first round.

draftguru151
10-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Wisniewski is playing as OG this year and not doing a very good job.

I would not pick him in the first round.

Didn't look like he has the size or strength to do much in the NFL against Bama. Kinda made me sad to see him in Scott's mock to Miami.

O'Dowd got his butt whooped all game against Sione Fua, plays so high and Fua just ragdolled him on a few plays. And Pouncey can't snap and has looked average even when he does get the ball to Brantley. I'd probably say O'Dowd at this point but not in the first round.

D-Unit
11-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Could Wisniewski or O'Dowd slip to the early 3rd round?

BeerBaron
11-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Could Wisniewski or O'Dowd slip to the early 3rd round?

O'Dowd could because of injury concerns and not having the chance to play in a bowl game and give everyone one last good impression.

If either do, I hope they slip far enough to fall to the Bears in that round. Both would be steals at that point.

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I think O'Dowd ends up in the early 2nd round. Maybe someone even reaches for him late 1st if there is a need. He's been healthy all year which should help him out.

D-Unit
11-05-2010, 06:31 PM
I think O'Dowd ends up in the early 2nd round. Maybe someone even reaches for him late 1st if there is a need. He's been healthy all year which should help him out.
O'Dowd has actually been battling a shoulder strain injury this year, but it hasn't caused him to miss any games yet. Just miss practice. He doesn't want to appear to be an injury concern, but when your coach puts your name on the injury report, and you talk about it on Youtube, those things don't seem to hide well. lol.

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2010, 06:35 PM
O'Dowd has actually been battling a shoulder strain injury this year, but it hasn't caused him to miss any games yet. Just miss practice. He doesn't want to appear to be an injury concern, but when your coach puts your name on the injury report, and you talk about it on Youtube, those things don't seem to hide well. lol.

Ahh ok I just knew he was playing so I didn't think anything was bothering him. He's still playing pretty well considering that.

D-Unit
11-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Ahh ok I just knew he was playing so I didn't think anything was bothering him. He's still playing pretty well considering that.
Outside of that bad snap to Barkley when he wasn't ready that caused Oregon to get the ball back last week.

But yeah, overall I still think he's the first Center taken. 2nd Round area.

Black Bolt
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
TCU's Jake Kirkpatrick is the C that impresses me the most. The others have issues whether injury history, position change or low ceiling. Meanwhile Kirkpatrick was born a C and he's getting it done at a high level. He doesn't make mistake, he doesn't have any red flags and he's a smart one. I am hoping he rises to the 2nd so my Raiders can snatch him up.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/2010/sub/photos/tcu_jake_kirkpatrick.jpg

Also, I think it is flat out amazing how Missouri runs a silent count all game long. Their C just snaps the ball after he calls out the reads.