Marcel Dareus
Cameron Heyward
Stephen Paea
Cameron Jordan
Allen Bailey
Adrian Clayborn
Robert Quinn

All 1st rd talent.

Which do you think will have the best NFL careers? Which will be Top 10 picks? Which are overrated?

bored of education
10-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Marcel Dareus - 3 A very solid guy 1-2 pro bowls 10 year career
Cameron Heyward - 1 Seymour but better IMO.
Stephen Paea - 7 rotational guy who could find a spont on a team as a starter
Cameron Jordan - 5 a stud 5 tech he could be...
Allen Bailey - 6 a stud who can play many places
Adrian Clayborn - 2 a very good player that will have 4-7 pro bowls a few all pro years
Robert Quinn - 4 most upside out of the group

a.ll very different though oi dunno my bottle of wine is wearing off

HellonEarth84
10-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Heyward = Seymour but better????

He doesnt have the size or strength that Seymour does. He doesnt seem as dominant either (do ppl forget how good Seymour was in his prime?).

I always thought Heyward was more of an Aaron Smith. Solid run defender, but not the big impact type of player Seymour was.

and why do you think Paea's a rotational guy? His tackling isnt the best right now (hes still learning football) but he's probably the most disruptive interior lineman of all these guys.

Just curious on your thoughts about this, not bashing you.

bored of education
10-02-2010, 11:50 PM
once im sober ill re work it lol

SenorGato
10-03-2010, 02:05 AM
Marcel Dareus (3)
Cameron Heyward (2)
Stephen Paea(7)
Cameron Jordan(5)
Allen Bailey(6)
Adrian Clayborn(4)
Robert Quinn (1)

Day One Pick
10-03-2010, 07:33 AM
1st Round

Robert Quinn - Explosive player, needs to live up to the hype when he gets back on the field.

Cameron Heyward - Probably the most improved player from his freshman year to now. In that time he went from Iron Heads son to just plain Cameron Heyward. He's a highly versatile defensive linemen who reminds me of Justin Tuck. Best fit is at 3-4 DE.

Adrian Clayborn - Probably the best 4-3 DE in the class. Great motor and player who does all the small things well. Has shown steady improvement and appears that he's yet to peak.

Allen Bailey - I think Bailey is slightly over-rated simply on the basis of his athletic ability. I think he's an excellent player and a highly versatile player. I just think people go a little far with this "amazing" athlete talk. Some problems with him I can see from a draft stock standpoint is while he's versatile and can move around, he's not really great at any one thing. Sort of a "jack of all trades," but master of none. I think as a DT he would get lost in the NFL, never to be heard from again. He's not a refined pass rusher, so 4-3 DE would take a lot of development. 3-4 DE is a projection, but might fit his skill set the best. Likely a first round pick, certainly not a lock IMO.

2nd Round

Marcel Dareus - the most over-rated of the group, plays like a DE but looks like a DT. His frame actually looks like he'll battle weight issues and could be the type to eat himself out of the league. Lacks a true position in the NFL. He is lacking in experience, and was a bit of a late bloomer at Alabama. I think if it weren't for a couple of splash plays in the National Championship nobody would be mentioning Marcel Dareus and the first round in the same sentence. Remember people, good college players don't always mean good NFL players.

Cameron Jordan - I rank Dareus a hair ahead of Jordan. Jordan is a much better fit for a 3-4, in fact he's a prototype. Because of this he very well may be drafted ahead of Dareus.

3rd Round

Stephen Paea - Size and versatility could be an issue with Paea. In some ways he reminds me of former Notre Dame DT Derek Landri. Paea is a better overall prospect and this class isn't nearly as strong as the 2007 class and should be drafted much higher than Landri who was a 5th round pick

Some other defensive linemen belong in this discussion ahead of some of the others. Jared Crick, Greg Romeus, Jurrell Casey, Nick Fairley, and Ryan Kerrigan, likely all get drafted ahead of Dareus, Jordan, and Paea.

A Perfect Score
10-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I think you guys are very wrong on Stephen Paea. He's my second man crush for this draft and he's an absolute beast. By the time the combine rolls around, he's going to put up some very good numbers and I could easily see him in the first round to a team looking for a disruptive, penetrating 3 tech.

Morton
10-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Adrian Clayborn > *

This man is the next Reggie White.

katnip
10-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Adrian Clayborn > *

This man is the next Reggie White.

almost spit my coffee and choked on it at same time

..Watching actual games. He was the most Dominant DL and/or pass rusher I've seen. And I saw him in his later years with the Packers

keylime_5
10-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Adrian Clayborn and then Cameron Heyward and then everyone else.

RealityCheck
10-03-2010, 12:34 PM
1. Robert Quinn
2. Marcell Dareus
3. Cameron Heyward
4. Adrian Clayborn
5. Allen Bailey
6/7. Stephen Paea/Cameron Jordan

RaiderNation
10-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Marcel Dareus 5
Cameron Heyward 2
Stephen Paea 6
Cameron Jordan 7
Allen Bailey 4
Adrian Clayborn 1
Robert Quinn 3

HellonEarth84
10-03-2010, 10:15 PM
i'm surprised Paea isn't getting any love, I think he has just as much potential as Allen Bailey and Dareus

SenorGato
10-03-2010, 10:21 PM
i'm surprised Paea isn't getting any love, I think he has just as much potential as Allen Bailey and Dareus

Funnily enough they're the two most overrated guys in the early stages.

iBoldin
10-03-2010, 11:45 PM
2nd Round

Marcel Dareus - the most over-rated of the group, plays like a DE but looks like a DT. His frame actually looks like he'll battle weight issues and could be the type to eat himself out of the league. Lacks a true position in the NFL. He is lacking in experience, and was a bit of a late bloomer at Alabama. I think if it weren't for a couple of splash plays in the National Championship nobody would be mentioning Marcel Dareus and the first round in the same sentence. Remember people, good college players don't always mean good NFL players.

Dareus routinely takes on double teams and still sheds them for a good amount of plays. I don't see how he's a 2nd rounder. He's played very good in variety of big stage games. He dominated at times against Florida and played well against Arkansas despite a bum ankle.

He's explosive and he makes plays. He is very good against SEC offensive lines week in and week out. That screams 1st rounder to me.

JHL6719
10-04-2010, 01:13 AM
1st Round

Robert Quinn - Explosive player, needs to live up to the hype when he gets back on the field.

Cameron Heyward - Probably the most improved player from his freshman year to now. In that time he went from Iron Heads son to just plain Cameron Heyward. He's a highly versatile defensive linemen who reminds me of Justin Tuck. Best fit is at 3-4 DE.

Adrian Clayborn - Probably the best 4-3 DE in the class. Great motor and player who does all the small things well. Has shown steady improvement and appears that he's yet to peak.

Allen Bailey - I think Bailey is slightly over-rated simply on the basis of his athletic ability. I think he's an excellent player and a highly versatile player. I just think people go a little far with this "amazing" athlete talk. Some problems with him I can see from a draft stock standpoint is while he's versatile and can move around, he's not really great at any one thing. Sort of a "jack of all trades," but master of none. I think as a DT he would get lost in the NFL, never to be heard from again. He's not a refined pass rusher, so 4-3 DE would take a lot of development. 3-4 DE is a projection, but might fit his skill set the best. Likely a first round pick, certainly not a lock IMO.

2nd Round

Cameron Jordan - I rank Dareus a hair ahead of Jordan. Jordan is a much better fit for a 3-4, in fact he's a prototype. Because of this he very well may be drafted ahead of Dareus.

3rd Round

Stephen Paea - Size and versatility could be an issue with Paea. In some ways he reminds me of former Notre Dame DT Derek Landri. Paea is a better overall prospect and this class isn't nearly as strong as the 2007 class and should be drafted much higher than Landri who was a 5th round pick

Some other defensive linemen belong in this discussion ahead of some of the others. Jared Crick, Greg Romeus, Jurrell Casey, Nick Fairley, and Ryan Kerrigan, likely all get drafted ahead of Dareus, Jordan, and Paea.

No... YOU wouldn't know who Marcel Dareus is if it wasn't for his MVP performance in the NC game.

He's dominated every single game he's played in since halfway through the season last year. He led the team in sacks despite not being a "starter".

Dareus has the explosive movements skills and flexibility of a guy half his size, it's truely incredible. The garbage about eating himself out of the league is hilarious.

He's better than every single defensive lineman mentioned in this thread, and he's going to continue to prove it throughout the season. After he blows the combine up, he'll be a top 10 pick.

Dareus isn't just that good, he intimidates the lineman across from him without saying a word... once they feel his power and experience his quickness the for the first time... they know. And the opposing coach is quick to get the poor kid trying to block him some help.

If there's one defensive lineman in this draft worthy of the #1 overall pick, it's Marcel Dareus. He's a fit for any scheme, and the most unblockable prospect in college football one-on-one, it simply can't be done for 3 plays in a row.

Day One Pick
10-04-2010, 05:21 AM
OK, what position is Dareus going to play in the NFL?

Nalej
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
DE in NE :D

villagewarrior
10-04-2010, 10:11 AM
DE in NE :D

If I'm the Chiefs I happily make him a 34 DE. He's got size and brute strength, he's got very good athleticism, and he shows up in big games. I don't think there's any question how good of a player he is.

vidae
10-04-2010, 10:17 AM
If I'm the Chiefs I happily make him a 34 DE. He's got size and brute strength, he's got very good athleticism, and he shows up in big games. I don't think there's any question how good of a player he is.

Wait, what? No. No! NO. NO!!!!

We have enough gd 3-4 DEs. No more. We're done with DLinemen unless they're NTs. NO MORE DEFENSIVE LINEMEN. I HAVE SPOKEN.

Bengals78
10-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Wait, what? No. No! NO. NO!!!!

We have enough gd 3-4 DEs. No more. We're done with DLinemen unless they're NTs. NO MORE DEFENSIVE LINEMEN. I HAVE SPOKEN.

We all know Dorsey cant play in a 3-4......

wonderbredd24
10-04-2010, 11:44 AM
OK, what position is Dareus going to play in the NFL?
5 technique or 3 technique.

Dude's a rhino when he's healthy. He was clearly struggling in the Arkansas game with that ankle.

Day One Pick
10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
5 technique or 3 technique.

Dude's a rhino when he's healthy. He was clearly struggling in the Arkansas game with that ankle.

As a 5 tech here's where I rank him. I can't see why any 3-4 team would select him over any of the more prototypical 5 tech's available. He's shorter and heavier than the prefered 3-4 DE and is a little on the heavy side. I also question weather or not he's athletic enough as well.

1. Cameron Heyward, 6-6, 287, Ohio State
2. Jared Crick, 6-6, 290, Nebraska*
3. Adrian Clayborn, 6-3, 282, Iowa
4. Allen Bailey, 6-4, 288, Miami
5. Nick Fairley, 6-4, 298, Auburn *
6. Cameron Jordan, 6-4, 285, California
7. Marcell Dareus, 6-3, 306, Alabama*

scpanther22
10-04-2010, 06:30 PM
As a 5 tech here's where I rank him. I can't see why any 3-4 team would select him over any of the more prototypical 5 tech's available. He's shorter and heavier than the prefered 3-4 DE and is a little on the heavy side. I also question weather or not he's athletic enough as well.

1. Cameron Heyward, 6-6, 287, Ohio State
2. Jared Crick, 6-6, 290, Nebraska*
3. Adrian Clayborn, 6-3, 282, Iowa
4. Allen Bailey, 6-4, 288, Miami
5. Nick Fairley, 6-4, 298, Auburn *
6. Cameron Jordan, 6-4, 285, California
7. Marcell Dareus, 6-3, 306, Alabama*

I would be suprised if Dareus is 306 he looks bigger..IMO

ToldLikeItIs
10-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Clayborn #1.

10 tackles, 3 TFL, 1 sack against PSU.

keylime_5
10-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Clayborn is ridiculous. He's like a small, quick DE in the body of a big DT. I saw Penn State triple team him with a left guard, left tackle, and runningback at least 3 times this weekend.

BRAVEHEART
10-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Clayborn is ridiculous. He's like a small, quick DE in the body of a big DT. I saw Penn State triple team him with a left guard, left tackle, and runningback at least 3 times this weekend.

he's like 286, that's an undersized DT to me.

Put this guy (91) on your draft boards....

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/85/859768.jpg

keylime_5
10-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Clayborn looks like he's 300 this year. I'll take the over on his official weight listing. He looks like a DT.

BRAVEHEART
10-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Clayborn looks like he's 300 this year. I'll take the over on his official weight listing. He looks like a DT.

He does, but I'd think they'd list him heavier if they could (it's not like it hurts).

keylime_5
10-04-2010, 09:18 PM
true, but sometimes rosters don't update their weights frequently as they should. and maybe it's a rare case of being listed smaller than he really is for a change (like Calvin Johnson at Ga Tech).

ToldLikeItIs
10-04-2010, 09:20 PM
He's about 295.

ToldLikeItIs
10-04-2010, 09:21 PM
We use our spring weights on our rosters, Freshman are weighed in their first day on campus, and we used that weight.

Morton
10-05-2010, 12:38 AM
For my money Clayborn is the best because he is the most athletic and agile of the men of his size (280 - 300lbs). He moves like a 240lb linebacker.

Ozzy
10-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Day One Pick 2nd Round

Marcel Dareus - the most over-rated of the group, plays like a DE but looks like a DT. His frame actually looks like he'll battle weight issues and could be the type to eat himself out of the league. Lacks a true position in the NFL. He is lacking in experience, and was a bit of a late bloomer at Alabama. I think if it weren't for a couple of splash plays in the National Championship nobody would be mentioning Marcel Dareus and the first round in the same sentence. Remember people, good college players don't always mean good NFL players. Like others have said, that is crazy. So what if he looks like a DT? He dominates and gets double teamed constantly and easily fights through those double teams at times. Lacking experience? How? Did you see him against Florida this week? He made plays in almost every game he plays and physically he is as strong and as powerful as any defensive lineman in the nation. Seriously Alabama, that system is not made for him to dominate, it is made for the linebackers to succeed, he is supposed to just take up blocks and double teams, he not only does that he makes plays in the backfield, gets off the double team and is productive as a tackler and is not just guy taking up blockers because he beats those blockers and makes plays.

How that is not impressive I have no idea. He could start easily on a lot of 3/4 defensive teams in the NFL.

Day One Pick
10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Like others have said, that is crazy. So what if he looks like a DT? He dominates and gets double teamed constantly and easily fights through those double teams at times. Lacking experience? How? Did you see him against Florida this week? He made plays in almost every game he plays and physically he is as strong and as powerful as any defensive lineman in the nation. Seriously Alabama, that system is not made for him to dominate, it is made for the linebackers to succeed, he is supposed to just take up blocks and double teams, he not only does that he makes plays in the backfield, gets off the double team and is productive as a tackler and is not just guy taking up blockers because he beats those blockers and makes plays.

How that is not impressive I have no idea. He could start easily on a lot of 3/4 defensive teams in the NFL.

You and some others just don't get it. He's not as highly rated as many of you think. I personally rank him 52nd overall and that seems about right to me. Keep in mind, this is still fairly high, especially at this point with all the underclassmen mixed in there.

You have to view the draft and rankings in sort of a supply and demand way. One of the few strengths of this class is the DL. There are just some more polished, productive, prototypical prospects who will be drafted ahead of him. Any scout will talk about the "eye ball test." He simply doesn't pass it with flying colors. He doesn't have the body type 3-4 teams will prefer, especially high in the draft, he doesn't quite have the skill set or quality game film to be drafted ahead of some of the other DT's in this class, and he most certainly doesn't fit the body type of a rush end. He'll be an early to mid 2nd rounder on draft day.

Ozzy
10-05-2010, 10:08 AM
You and some others just don't get it. He's not as highly rated as many of you think. I personally rank him 52nd overall and that seems about right to me. Keep in mind, this is still fairly high, especially at this point with all the underclassmen mixed in there.

You have to view the draft and rankings in sort of a supply and demand way. One of the few strengths of this class is the DL. There are just some more polished, productive, prototypical prospects who will be drafted ahead of him. Any scout will talk about the "eye ball test." He simply doesn't pass it with flying colors. He doesn't have the body type 3-4 teams will prefer, especially high in the draft, he doesn't quite have the skill set or quality game film to be drafted ahead of some of the other DT's in this class, and he most certainly doesn't fit the body type of a rush end. He'll be an early to mid 2nd rounder on draft day.That is all well and good, only thing is "draft ratings" mean nothing to me. These are all my opinions, I do not read what others say, I watch plays and rank them according to what I look for. This is not about what others think. And clearly you do not like him as a prospect, that is fine.

And if you view him as some over weight lard who is out of shape and is just a DT and nothing more, then that is your opinion. Still fact is, he is showing he can play DE in a 3/4 and that is easily what he will do at the next level, and I feel he could dominate at that position and potentially down the road start on the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys or any other team that plays a 3/4.

As for rounds, I am more concerned about who is a good player in the NFL as compared to getting the round correct where they are drafted. Say I like prospect A, I would much rather be right on the fact he can play and produce in the NFL than having him be drafted where I think he should in the draft, but stink it up in the NFL.

But no use debating really, you don't like him as much as me or some others, that is fine. We will see what happens...

Day One Pick
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
That is all well and good, only thing is "draft ratings" mean nothing to me. These are all my opinions, I do not read what others say, I watch plays and rank them according to what I look for. This is not about what others think. And clearly you do not like him as a prospect, that is fine.

And if you view him as some over weight lard who is out of shape and is just a DT and nothing more, then that is your opinion. Still fact is, he is showing he can play DE in a 3/4 and that is easily what he will do at the next level, and I feel he could dominate at that position and potentially down the road start on the Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys or any other team that plays a 3/4.

As for rounds, I am more concerned about who is a good player in the NFL as compared to getting the round correct where they are drafted. Say I like prospect A, I would much rather be right on the fact he can play and produce in the NFL than having him be drafted where I think he should in the draft, but stink it up in the NFL.

But no use debating really, you don't like him as much as me or some others, that is fine. We will see what happens...

Wow, talk about blowing what I said out of proprortion. Let me again state that I rank him 52nd overall. My responses in this thread were in response to people saying it's crazy to call him a 2nd rounder. Then this statement, "I watch plays and rank them according to what I look for." Apparently that's what I do as well because most consider him a top 15 pick. The responses in this thread make that pretty apparent.

Where and when did I say he couldn't play 3-4 DE? What I said was, why would a 3-4 team draft him high ahead of some of the more prototypical 3-4 DE's out there. This particular debate has been all about draft stock and where he would be drafted.

Also, how has he proven he can play the 5 technique in the NFL? Rickey Dobbs plays quarterback in college. Does that prove he can play there in the NFL? Reggie Bush was an effective runner between the tackles at USC. Did that prove he could do it in the NFL? My point is, just because somebody does something in college doesn't prove they can do it in the NFL.

Also...

Yeah, me too. That's how rankings should be done (even thought they usually aren't). But that's not the direction this debate went.

HellonEarth84
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM

agree, I think he's the best DLine prospect for a 43 team.

HellonEarth84
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM

You have to view the draft and rankings in sort of a supply and demand way. One of the few strengths of this class is the DL. There are just some more polished, productive, prototypical prospects who will be drafted ahead of him. Any scout will talk about the "eye ball test." He simply doesn't pass it with flying colors. He doesn't have the body type 3-4 teams will prefer, especially high in the draft, he doesn't quite have the skill set or quality game film to be drafted ahead of some of the other DT's in this class, and he most certainly doesn't fit the body type of a rush end. He'll be an early to mid 2nd rounder on draft day.

Someone experienced at LDE, RDE, and NT in a 34..... I think teams will find that extremely valuable as he won't be a "project". He's already proven he can play and be very effective in those roles.

I think youre forgetting Ziggy Hood was a 1st rd pick, and Tyson Jackson was a Top 2-3 pick. Both went to 34 teams.

If ziggy could be a 1st rounder, how do you think Dareus drops past the Top 25?

herkyhawkeye
10-05-2010, 10:13 PM
No need to talk up Clayborn but dont forget about Christian Ballard for Iowa as well.

Hes a DE/DT hybrid. Hes bigger than Clayborn(6'4 295) at 6'5 310 lbs.
Absolute athletic freak. Has the size and tenacity of one of big uglies with the athletic skill set of a impact TE. Very fast for his size and got leaps.
This is an exert of what Bob Davie said during the pSU game. He was talking with Iowas secondary coach, Phil Parker, and Parker told him he had faster feet than any secondary member on the Iowa team.

Dudes huge, relentless, and an impact te athlete playing DT. Clayborn gets all the love but Ballard is gonna be a 1st rounder and is gonna shock the scouts at the combine.

http://images.townnews.com/morningjournal.com/content/articles/2009/11/15/sports/doc4aff823ce61617524361212.jpg

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/374928/dfgjkdfs-o.gif

I really hope he has a moment like Clayborn did blocking the punt to see his speed down a football field. Sorry for continuing to homer up Ballard but the guy gets no love and he is a specimen.

Da Big Harv
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Day One Pick;2318724]1st Round

QUOTE]

that entire paragraph is false
A late bloomer? first of all he had 3 sacks in his first two games
and dominated all year and was by far Alabama most dominate pass rusher last year in nearly every single game

SenorGato
10-05-2010, 11:07 PM

I'm gonna +1 this...I've been saying Dareus is overhyped for a minute...nice to see there's two of us. He's not lengthy enough to be a great 3-4 DE prospect and he's not jumbo enough to be considered an elite DT prospect. His frame seems pretty maxed out too, but I'm not sure how to treat that considering he hasn't received NFL diet and exercise.

HellonEarth84
10-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Adrian Clayborn... any one think he can play 34 RDE?

SenorGato
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Adrian Clayborn... any one think he can play 34 RDE?

3-4 LDE. Clayborn is more the Shaun Ellis/Trevor Pryce type 3-4 DE...

RDE IMO is reserved for the really tall, massive guy...Your Ngata/Seymour type.

ToldLikeItIs
10-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Christian Ballard could play RDE then?

He's 6'5 310.

BRAVEHEART
10-06-2010, 03:31 AM
vDFNtXzoGAY

Internet Draftniks don't bring him up alot, but the scouts see him. The only bright spot on a poor USC defense.

Day One Pick
10-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Someone experienced at LDE, RDE, and NT in a 34..... I think teams will find that extremely valuable as he won't be a "project". He's already proven he can play and be very effective in those roles.

I think youre forgetting Ziggy Hood was a 1st rd pick, and Tyson Jackson was a Top 2-3 pick. Both went to 34 teams.

If ziggy could be a 1st rounder, how do you think Dareus drops past the Top 25?

Will teams find his experience valuble? Sure. Has he proven he can do it in the NFL? No.

Yes Ziggy Hood was a first round pick. Now 2 years in and he gets about 4 snaps per game.

HellonEarth84
10-09-2010, 03:32 PM
how is Marcell Dareus doing against South Carolina today?

PACKmanN
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
3-4 LDE. Clayborn is more the Shaun Ellis/Trevor Pryce type 3-4 DE...

RDE IMO is reserved for the really tall, massive guy...Your Ngata/Seymour type.

Cullen Jenkins says hi

CJSchneider
10-10-2010, 08:34 AM
http://media.nola.com/lsu_impact/photo/drake-nevisjpg-b5ab646dca880087_large.jpg

After watching the LSU - Florida game last night, I am convinced Drake Nevis will be at least a 2nd round pick. Add this guy's name to the DL conversation.

SenorGato
10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Christian Ballard could play RDE then?

He's 6'5 310.

Yep. He and Fairley are my favorite 3-4 RDE prospects...Armstead from USC is one but I'm not sure he's a really good one.

How does Drake Nevis compare to Broderick Bunkley? Is he stupid strong like Bunkley? I like him, but I'm not sure what to do with him or how good he is.