PDA

View Full Version : Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois

bigbenn
10-03-2010, 02:30 PM
I mentioned him a while back when discussing DT's to watch for this year's draft (But that was before Illinois DT Josh Brent went pro) but I wanted to start a thread on this guy. He's been playing at a really high level this season, and against Ohio State yesterday he had 11 tackles, 2 TFL and 1 sack. He made his presence felt all day against NFL caliber OL on the OSU offensive line. He also did the same thing against Missouri (And the other two opponents for that matter). He is a true junior defensive tackle who was highly rated coming out of Miami. Miami, LSU and the other heavyweights wanted him. He had an impressive start as a freshman and then had injuries last year as well as playing about 30 pounds overweight from bulking up too much. He has slimmed back down to 290 or so at 6'3 and is a beast. Very strong and can move. I think you'll be hearing his name as well as some others on the Illinois defensive line this year and beyond.

etk
10-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I wanted him real bad on the Canes. I believe he was family friends with the Pata's or something so his mom wouldn't let him stay in South Florida...something like that.

He's really quick and athletic. IIRC he returned kicks and played RB/TE in HS.

I haven't seen him yet in college but I figured I'd validate bigbenn's post so people don't think it's just another Big 10 fan hyping up a mediocre player.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I wanted him real bad on the Canes. I believe he was family friends with the Pata's or something so his mom wouldn't let him stay in South Florida...something like that.

He's really quick and athletic. IIRC he returned kicks and played RB/TE in HS.

I haven't seen him yet in college but I figured I'd validate bigbenn's post so people don't think it's just another Big 10 fan hyping up a mediocre player.

Thanks etk...Liuget is definitely legit. I'm sure the Big Ten Network will play the Illlinois-OSU game a couple more times this week (They already have). Check it out if you can. Whether Corey's pushing the pocket on Browning (And I mean absolutely blowing him up from the snap on one of Illinois' sacks or INT's-I don't remember which one), Brewster or Boren, he was just making all types of plays. And he's been playing like that all year. You'll definitely be hearing his name more and more. He's the best DT in the B10 right now and is only gettng better.

ToldLikeItIs
10-05-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll take Daniels, Ballard, Martin, and Ogbu over him right now.

Sniper
10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
He's the best DT in the B10 right now.

sGz3uyCNZCM

Are you ******* high? You STILL haven't learned from your past idiotic claims?

Right, and Illinois has as much skill as all of the national title contenders, right?

Add Dexter Larimore and John Simon to Told's list.

Hines
10-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I'd even add Devon Still to that list.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 03:26 PM
sGz3uyCNZCM

Are you ******* high? You STILL haven't learned from your past idiotic claims?

Right, and Illinois has as much skill as all of the national title contenders, right?

Add Dexter Larimore and John Simon to Told's list.

I would be willing to bet you haven't watched Liuget at all...and I meant what I said, he's playing the best out of the DT's in the B10. I've seen all of those guys and still come to this conclusion. This thread will be here at the end of the year so we'll see...just watch him against PSU this Saturday.

ToldLikeItIs
10-05-2010, 03:44 PM
He's not playing better than any of those I listed.

ToldLikeItIs
10-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Season stats are 15 tackles, 4 tfl, and 1 sack.

Solid numbers, don't get me wrong, but in comparison.

Mike Daniels: 19 tackles, 8 tfl, 3 sacks.
Mike Martin: 17 tackles, 4.5 tfl, 2 sacks.
Ollie Ogbu: 19 tackles, 4.5 tfl.
Dexter Larimore: 16 tackles, 4.0 tfl, 1.5 sacks.

I would say the best DT in the conference right now is Mike Daniels. Christian Ballard is also playing quite well, but he's not putting up numbers. He terrorized PSU last week.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Season stats are 15 tackles, 4 tfl, and 1 sack.

Solid numbers, don't get me wrong, but in comparison.

Mike Daniels: 19 tackles, 8 tfl, 3 sacks.
Mike Martin: 17 tackles, 4.5 tfl, 2 sacks.
Ollie Ogbu: 19 tackles, 4.5 tfl.
Dexter Larimore: 16 tackles, 4.0 tfl, 1.5 sacks.

I would say the best DT in the conference right now is Mike Daniels. Christian Ballard is also playing quite well, but he's not putting up numbers. He terrorized PSU last week.

No...those aren't updated. He had 11 tackles overall against OSU and 6 or so I believe against Missouri. I don't even know his stats from the NIU or SIU games but he was dominating those games so I would be he has more tackles and TFL than that. And anyway, it isn't all about the stats. Liuget is very disruptive in the pocket whether it's from nose guard, one or two gap defensive tackle. Again, just watch him against OSU and watch this upcoming week against PSU.

Sniper
10-05-2010, 04:52 PM
I would be willing to bet you haven't watched Liuget at all...and I meant what I said, he's playing the best out of the DT's in the B10. I've seen all of those guys and still come to this conclusion. This thread will be here at the end of the year so we'll see...just watch him against PSU this Saturday.

Is that your only reply? "Well, if you don't think Illinois Player X is TOTALLY TEH BESTEST ROXORZ, YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED HIM!!!". Give it a rest. Considering I watch more Big 10 football than 95 percent of this board, I'd estimate that yes, I've seen him play. I watched the Mizzou and Ohio State games. No, he hasn't been the best. He had four tackles against Ohio State. I don't know what crackpot site you're using.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/301/1016552/tackle/gamelog.html
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/100210aaa.html
https://www.nmnathletics.com//downloads2/389991.htm?ATCLID=205004956&SPSID=87745&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300

Cfbstats.com, Illinois' official site and Ohio State's official site all list him with four tackles (3-1) in that game. How about you stop talking out of your ass, mmmk? Oh, by the way, he had zero TFL against SIU and 0.5 TFL against NIU. Double-check your facts, Jack.

To go off of Told's numbers, Mike Martin is also playing out of position with ****-for-brains at the other 10 defensive spots. The guy's been playing out of his mind. I don't know if he's been the Big 10's best (probably not, seeing as how Mike Daniels is going apeshit right now), but I can guaran-*******-tee that Liuget's not the best.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Is that your only reply? "Well, if you don't think Illinois Player X is TOTALLY TEH BESTEST ROXORZ, YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED HIM!!!". Give it a rest. Considering I watch more Big 10 football than 95 percent of this board, I'd estimate that yes, I've seen him play. I watched the Mizzou and Ohio State games. No, he hasn't been the best. He had four tackles against Ohio State. I don't know what crackpot site you're using.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/player/301/1016552/tackle/gamelog.html
http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/100210aaa.html
https://www.nmnathletics.com//downloads2/389991.htm?ATCLID=205004956&SPSID=87745&SPID=10408&DB_OEM_ID=17300

Cfbstats.com, Illinois' official site and Ohio State's official site all list him with four tackles (3-1) in that game. How about you stop talking out of your ass, mmmk? Oh, by the way, he had zero TFL against SIU and 0.5 TFL against NIU. Double-check your facts, Jack.

To go off of Told's numbers, Mike Martin is also playing out of position with ****-for-brains at the other 10 defensive spots. The guy's been playing out of his mind. I don't know if he's been the Big 10's best (probably not, seeing as how Mike Daniels is going apeshit right now), but I can guaran-*******-tee that Liuget's not the best.

The fact that you would respond like this tells me all I need to know. And I was talking overall (Assists included). You can find 4 Liuget tackles in the first quarter and a half alone. And look at the best two opponents each guy has played, with the prospects they have played against. Those guys are good, but going against UMass, etc. etc. etc. for 3 or 4 games would make them look like that. Again, this thread will be here at the end of the year, so we'll see.

iowatreat54
10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Holy **** Holy **** Holy ****

Told is winning an argument and Sniper is agreeing with him.

We need bf51 in here to complete the holy trinity.

Sniper
10-05-2010, 05:03 PM
The fact that you would respond like this tells me all I need to know. And I was talking overall (Assists included).

Oh, you were? Because every single one of those sites list assisted tackles. He had one. 3 solo tackles and one assisted tackle. Why don't you go ahead and do some research? Sounds good.

You can find 4 Liuget tackles in the first quarter and a half alone.

Well, obviously, you can't, since no one who keeps tackle stats credited him with 11 tackles.

And look at the best two opponents each guy has played, with the prospects they have played against. Those guys are good, but going against UMass, etc. etc. etc. for 3 or 4 games would make them look like that. Again, this thread will be here at the end of the year, so we'll see.

Yeah, it must have been so hard to make tackles against Ohio State when everyone and their mother knew that it was a run play. Cam Gordon had 15 tackles for Michigan last week when Indiana passed 64 times. Thorpe award? I THINK SO!

keylime_5
10-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Told is making sense and backing it up with a good argument. What the hell is going on?

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Oh, you were? Because every single one of those sites list assisted tackles. He had one. 3 solo tackles and one assisted tackle. Why don't you go ahead and do some research? Sounds good.

Well, obviously, you can't, since no one who keeps tackle stats credited him with 11 tackles.

Yeah, it must have been so hard to make tackles against Ohio State when everyone and their mother knew that it was a run play. Cam Gordon had 15 tackles for Michigan last week when Indiana passed 64 times. Thorpe award? I THINK SO!

I watched the game with my eyes...I would think I would know. But again, I can't win this one. The only way is to see it with your eyes, which you will.

Sniper
10-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I watched the game with my eyes...I would think I would know.

So how did the people who keep the stats tally the stats? By pulling names out of a hat and randomly assigning them stats?

But again, I can't win this one.

Well, considering that facts (there's that crazy word) are disagreeing with you, I'm inclined to agree with your point that you can't win this one.

The only way is to see it with your eyes, which you will.

I saw Cam Gordon pick 17 passes off last week. I mean, sure, the statisticians who get paid to keep stats didn't see it, but I saw it with my own eyes. Can you confirm that?

Sniper
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Even Illinois fans think bigbenn is nuts.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=169&f=2617&t=6478360&p=1

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Even Illinois fans think bigbenn is nuts.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=169&f=2617&t=6478360&p=1

A couple of guys doesn't make up the entire fanbase of "Illinois fans". And you should've seen the posts when Mendenhall, Davis, etc. were prospects. Same stuff from some of the same guys. It is what it is. Again, this thread and that one will here.

Sniper
10-05-2010, 05:38 PM
A couple of guys doesn't make up the entire fanbase of "Illinois fans". And you should've seen the posts when Mendenhall, Davis, etc. were prospects. Same stuff from some of the same guys. It is what it is. Again, this thread and that one will here.

You didn't answer my point as to how all of the statisticians came up with different stats than you did.

iowatreat54
10-06-2010, 11:44 AM
http://www.herald-review.com/sports/football/article_7a2c41ee-d10d-11df-8abf-001cc4c03286.html

This past week, however, was one of Wilson's best, and it may have demonstrated that he is maturing as a player, one who is more confident physically and one who has made a commitment to be more prepared mentally. He led Illinois in tackles (9) vs. Ohio State and is tied for fourth in the Big Ten in that category.

Wait, how did Martez lead Illinois with 9 tackles vs. OSU when Liuget clearly had like 10 in the first quarter? Something's not adding up. I think all these stats sites and pro-Illini writers have a hidden agenda to knock Liuget down. Why else would they blatantly lie about his statistics......

Sniper
10-06-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.herald-review.com/sports/football/article_7a2c41ee-d10d-11df-8abf-001cc4c03286.html

Wait, how did Martez lead Illinois with 9 tackles vs. OSU when Liuget clearly had like 10 in the first quarter? Something's not adding up. I think all these stats sites and pro-Illini writers have a hidden agenda to knock Liuget down. Why else would they blatantly lie about his statistics......

They didn't watch the game with bigbenn's eyes. These are the same eyes that saw Illinois win 312-0.

ironman4579
10-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Clearly they are trying to keep him from turning pro and raping life as the greatest player in the history of any sport, ever.

Ozzy
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok first off BigBenn you opinion is biased based off of that fact that you are clearly an Illinois fan and are just hyping up Illinois players.

Want to talk Illinois football, great, talk about Jeff Allen, or the improvement of Travon Bellamy or the promise Nathan Scheelhaase or how Martez Wilson is coming off of injury very nicely or about how they are a pretty good power running team with Mikel Leshoure and Jason Ford.

But Corey Liuget, he is ok but I was a little more impressed with Whitney Mercilus, and he has more time to develop than Liuget. Much less Clay Nurse is having an ok season.

To say he is the best defensive tackle is a joke though, seriously.

Mike Martin is destroying people and is by far the best defensive tackle in the conference. Ollie Ogbu is behind him but then it takes a little drop off and goes to Karl Klug, Mike Daniels or Christian Ballard depending on where you want to play him.

You saying Corey Liuget is the best defensive tackle in the Big Ten is like me saying Brandon Kirksey is the best defensive tackle in the Big Ten. Because it is clearly a biased opinion from a person that lives in that state.

Sure might watch him a little closer next time but he is no way better than Mike Martin of Michigan. Forget this statistical crap, fact is on the field Martin collapses the pocket and provides consistent pressure from the inside, Liuget does not do that at this time.

ToldLikeItIs
10-06-2010, 03:27 PM
By far the best in the conference? I'm not sure how you can say that Ozzy.

bigbenn
10-07-2010, 06:45 AM
nm double post

bigbenn
10-07-2010, 06:46 AM
Upon further review, you guys are right, I AM wrong. Liuget DID NOT have that statline (Although he did not have only 3 tackles by my count as well). I mistook #94 Akeem Spence (RS frosh DT) for Liuget on some tackles. But that still does not change my opinion. As for Ozzy, yes I am an Illinois fan Illinois fan hyping the players, but the hype is legit (No pun intended). Corey DOES collapse the pocket on occasion...and look who he was doing it against...you should definitely watch him Saturday. And yes Mercilus will be good (Could be really good). You should watch Michael Buchanan and Justin Staples as well. Good young talent...

iowatreat54
10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Yea, I'm watching the game and Liuget hasn't really done anything special. He's good, no doubt, but he isn't that great and isn't really being that disruptive. And PSU's OL is pretty awful, so that isn't great news for Liuget.

bigbenn
10-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Anybody see him against MSU Saturday? Real deal...

iowatreat54
10-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Anybody see him against MSU Saturday? Real deal...

After doing nothing against a really bad PSU OL?

Yes, he was good on Saturday, but he isn't constantly dominating, or even constantly showing up. He's decent right now, but no way in hell is he anywhere near the best DT in the Big Ten.

It is curious that you didn't come pimp him after PSU, but came back now.

Oh come the **** on Kid. Top 5, really?

keylime_5
10-18-2010, 09:41 PM
he was completely dominant against MSU though. Unblockable. We could've used a guy like him in Madison.

iowatreat54
10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
he was completely dominant against MSU though. Unblockable. We could've used a guy like him in Madison.

I understand, but he was nowhere to be found against PSU and up until OSU he was really nothing better than the other top 5-10 DTs in the conference. Yes, he played real well against OSU and great against MSU, but he didn't really do anything vs. a terrible PSU OL and wasn't anything special vs. Mizzou (good, yes, but not elite).

I'm sorry, but to say he's a top 5, or even 10, pick is an absolutely ridiculous statement.

bigbenn
10-20-2010, 06:01 PM
After doing nothing against a really bad PSU OL?

Yes, he was good on Saturday, but he isn't constantly dominating, or even constantly showing up. He's decent right now, but no way in hell is he anywhere near the best DT in the Big Ten.

It is curious that you didn't come pimp him after PSU, but came back now.

Oh come the **** on Kid. Top 5, really?

I understand, but he was nowhere to be found against PSU and up until OSU he was really nothing better than the other top 5-10 DTs in the conference. Yes, he played real well against OSU and great against MSU, but he didn't really do anything vs. a terrible PSU OL and wasn't anything special vs. Mizzou (good, yes, but not elite).

I'm sorry, but to say he's a top 5, or even 10, pick is an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Just combined your two posts together but this is funny...nothing against PSU? You obviously didn't see his sack and couple of tackles. He didn't really have to dominate because the entire defensive line did. And he wasn't good until the OSU game? This is exactly how I know you either aren't watching or you just don't want to give Liuget his props. While everybody was racking up stats and doing well against "Directional U" the first game (And first few games in some of those cases), Liuget came out of the gate against a future NFL OL and made him/them look silly. SIU, the same. NIU, OSU, PSU and MSU? Same thing. This isn't some guy who just become good. Liuget has flashed this type of potential since his freshman year and really before that when he used to return kicks as a 230-260 pound DE in HS (Hence why he was a four star, top 100 recruit-even though I'm not a rankings guys).

Also just FWIW, scouts are now putting him in the same category with Ballard, Nevis and Crick (Read that on another board),etc. And I think Liuget can be better than all of them. He'll have a decision to make at the end of the year and if he does come back...well I'll discuss that when the time comes.but I'm done talking about it...I'll let Liuget's play do the talking.

iowatreat54
10-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Just combined your two posts together but this is funny...nothing against PSU? You obviously didn't see his sack and couple of tackles. He didn't really have to dominate because the entire defensive line did. And he wasn't good until the OSU game? This is exactly how I know you either aren't watching or you just don't want to give Liuget his props. While everybody was racking up stats and doing well against "Directional U" the first game (And first few games in some of those cases), Liuget came out of the gate against a future NFL OL and made him/them look silly. SIU, the same. NIU, OSU, PSU and MSU? Same thing. This isn't some guy who just become good. Liuget has flashed this type of potential since his freshman year and really before that when he used to return kicks as a 230-260 pound DE in HS (Hence why he was a four star, top 100 recruit-even though I'm not a rankings guys).

Also just FWIW, considering scouts are now putting him in the same category with Ballard, Nevis and Crick (Read that on another board), I'd say it already is. And I think Liuget can be better than all of them. He'll have a decision to make at the end of the year and if he does come back...well I'll discuss that when the time comes.but I'm done talking about it...I'll let Liuget's play do the talking.

First, yes, he really didn't do anything against PSU. Cool, he had a sack and a couple tackles. Every ******* DT does that. He wasn't nearly disruptive as he has been other games, or how you make him out to be. Not once did I say that doesn't mean he isn't good, just that he hasn't consistently been dominant and disruptive.

Second, never once did I say he wasn't good before the OSU game. I said:
up until OSU he was really nothing better than the other top 5-10 DTs in the conference. Yes, he played real well against OSU and great against MSU, but he didn't really do anything vs. a terrible PSU OL and wasn't anything special vs. Mizzou (good, yes, but not elite).
I actually took the whole quote to show that A. I said he wasn't anything better than the top 5-10 DTs in the conference before the OSU game (right with them, absolutely, but not far and wide better like you've asserted) and B. That yes I've admitted he's been good, but not elite. Which brings me to my next/final point.

Here is a direct quote from you:
He's definitely becoming a top 10 maybe even top 5 type of pick
Notice, not top 10 or top 5 DT...a TOP 10 or TOP 5 PICK! As in the whole draft. Now, could he become that? Sure, it's possible. But to say he's anywhere near that right now is ridiculous and homerism to the extreme. That's what I was refuting. And what's more, you said scouts are putting him in the same category as Ballard, Nevis, and Crick. That's great and all, but none of those guys are being considered top 5 picks, so good comparison that proves your homerism and my point. And to add in, great, you think an Illinois player can be better than players from another team. Color me shocked.

Look, I'm all for supporting your team and pimping your guys that maybe people really don't know about. But what you do is ridiculous. Good player that's really coming on strong and has a chance to be great? Yes. Elite DT that is being talked about as a top 5-10 pick? Not a chance (as of right now).

bigbenn
10-20-2010, 08:52 PM
First, yes, he really didn't do anything against PSU. Cool, he had a sack and a couple tackles. Every ******* DT does that. He wasn't nearly disruptive as he has been other games, or how you make him out to be. Not once did I say that doesn't mean he isn't good, just that he hasn't consistently been dominant and disruptive.

Second, never once did I say he wasn't good before the OSU game. I said:

I actually took the whole quote to show that A. I said he wasn't anything better than the top 5-10 DTs in the conference before the OSU game (right with them, absolutely, but not far and wide better like you've asserted) and B. That yes I've admitted he's been good, but not elite. Which brings me to my next/final point.

Here is a direct quote from you:

Notice, not top 10 or top 5 DT...a TOP 10 or TOP 5 PICK! As in the whole draft. Now, could he become that? Sure, it's possible. But to say he's anywhere near that right now is ridiculous and homerism to the extreme. That's what I was refuting. And what's more, you said scouts are putting him in the same category as Ballard, Nevis, and Crick. That's great and all, but none of those guys are being considered top 5 picks, so good comparison that proves your homerism and my point. And to add in, great, you think an Illinois player can be better than players from another team. Color me shocked.

Look, I'm all for supporting your team and pimping your guys that maybe people really don't know about. But what you do is ridiculous. Good player that's really coming on strong and has a chance to be great? Yes. Elite DT that is being talked about as a top 5-10 pick? Not a chance (as of right now).

Didn't the NFL just have two DT's go in the top 5 as well as a couple others in the top 5/10 the previous few years? It's obvious that the league values special type of DT's, and Liuget is that as he continues to progress. Keep two things in mind...he's faced at least maybe 4 or 5 interior guys who are NFL prospects already (The Mizzou guy, OSU guys Boren, Brewster, Browning, MSU interior prospects) as well as teams with solid interior OL prospects on NIU and SIU. And I'm sure PSU's interior (Despite how bad overall it is) OL isn't made up of scrubs either. And Liuget has dominated all of them frequently at one point or another during each game.

He is VERY disruptive because he's so quick off the snap and so strong in the lower body (Tree trunk legs). As I pointed out, just watch one play from the OSU game, I believe the first sack on Pryor...Liuget just abuses Bryant Browning off the snap and pushes him right into Pryor's face...and they were in shotgun. The entire pocket collapses and he is sacked by Nurse/Bussey. It wasn't a sack, but it was amazing. Liuget is the real deal. He can play the run and rush the passer equally well. And he gets double teamed a lot, but still makes play through it or bats a pass down here or there.

As for the category part, the fact that he has came so far this fast shows you exactly how good he is. He is only getting better and better. Something else that will help him is he has faced the best OL's he will see. He and the Illinois DLine will be able to feast on the last 6 teams...but again (And I got pulled into another debate when I said I wouldn't say anything...I'm bad on that haha), Liuget's play will do the talking. He'll have a decision to make after this year. I'm starting to hope he stays because if he comes back, the hype will be crazy.

Sniper
10-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Didn't the NFL just have two DT's go in the top 5 as well as a couple others in the top 5/10 the previous few years?

This is funny because in your mind, Corey Liuget is as good as Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.

bigbenn
10-21-2010, 02:46 PM
This is funny because in your mind, Corey Liuget is as good as Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.

I'm not saying he is right now, but by the end of the season he will be looked at as on that level (Early first round pick type of DT). Another thing that (Combined with his size and strength) makes Liuget so good is his athleticism, specifically his agility. It's crazy for a big guy. He will definitely have a decision to make when the season is over, but if he does come back, the hype around him will be crazy going into next year. Corey is a special type of DT.

Mr. X
10-21-2010, 03:06 PM
As a fellow Illini fan, please quit this insane hype of Liuget as a franchise DT. If you're going to talk about any Illini going in the first round of this year I'd say LeShoure has a much better shot, though I doubt he'd go in the first unless his combine is huge.

bigbenn
10-21-2010, 04:24 PM
As a fellow Illini fan, please quit this insane hype of Liuget as a franchise DT. If you're going to talk about any Illini going in the first round of this year I'd say LeShoure has a much better shot, though I doubt he'd go in the first unless his combine is huge.

That's what he will be...I'm just stating the obvious. That's the level he's going to be on barring injury. And while I also like Leshoure a lot, I think the comparisons to Mendenhall are almost unfair. I liked Mendenhall better than any of the RB's who came out that year (McFadden included) and I think he hasn't even began to hit his peak even while he is now positioning himself as one of the best backs in the league...Leshoure I think is a solid second round pick who has a chance to be pretty good in the league, just not a potential #1 like Mendenhall (Will be). More like top 10-15 in the league potential, which is still pretty good.

The thing that seperates them is burst. While Leshoure has pretty good burst for his size and probably runs in the mid to low 4.5's, Mendenhall has tremendous burst for his size and runs in the high 4.3/low 4.4 range. But who knows? With how hard Leshoure has now worked until this point, he may well able to run a high 4.4 at the combine and get even more buzz going. I do think he'll have a decision to make as well...I always thought he was good, but I had no idea he would be this good, and he's only going to get better. Plus, the teams they play down the stretch will really be good for his stats haha.

ChiFan24
10-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm not saying he is right now, but by the end of the season he will be looked at as on that level (Early first round pick type of DT). Another thing that (Combined with his size and strength) makes Liuget so good is his athleticism, specifically his agility. It's crazy for a big guy. He will definitely have a decision to make when the season is over, but if he does come back, the hype around him will be crazy going into next year. Corey is a special type of DT.

People don't suddenly turn into Ndamukong Suh in half a season. He's not even close. As an Illini fan, I can say he's a second or third rounder, with a late first ceiling if he dominates the draft process and whatnot. Which I guess is a little more than the other guys are giving him credit for, but you're being ridiculous. There are other players outside of Illinois. A lot of them actually.

Also, since I've established my Illini fan credentials, I don't think Leshoure is even close to the first round. I don't know where people are getting this. He's 230 but he's not that physical and not that quick. He fails to make the first guy miss on a pretty consistent basis. Nothing about that says first round.

bigbenn
10-22-2010, 04:49 PM
People don't suddenly turn into Ndamukong Suh in half a season. He's not even close. As an Illini fan, I can say he's a second or third rounder, with a late first ceiling if he dominates the draft process and whatnot. Which I guess is a little more than the other guys are giving him credit for, but you're being ridiculous. There are other players outside of Illinois. A lot of them actually.

Also, since I've established my Illini fan credentials, I don't think Leshoure is even close to the first round. I don't know where people are getting this. He's 230 but he's not that physical and not that quick. He fails to make the first guy miss on a pretty consistent basis. Nothing about that says first round.

Ndamukong Suh wasn't even Ndamukong Suh until his junior season (And and even then I don't remember the hype being like it was until during/after his senior year). We'll just see what happens...but I would bet if Liuget continues to progress and does in fact come out, he'll be much higher than late first round (At least top 15).

As for Leshoure, I wouldn't say not close. I think he'll definitely be a second rounder when he comes out. Not that physical? Not that quick? Have you watched Illinois at all this year and last (Well from mid year on)? He hasn't put up the numbers of other guys, but again Illinois wasn't playing "Directional U" from the get go, and even one of those (Northern) is a good team, MAC or not. All he has done is average 113 yards per game despite being keyed on the last three games (And every game) by two pretty good defenses and a defense that was banged up, but it wasn't FCS competition, it's Penn State.

Like Liuget, Leshoure will be able to put up big numbers the last 6 games because they've already faced the best they will. I'm not going to link Leshoure's Youtube video here, but I'll do it in the RB thread and Leshoure's own thread. I wouldn't call a then 235 pound guy who was running past defenses "not quick". And he's a true junior so I won't completely rule him out of the first if he continues to work like he has.

EDIT: And I will add that despite his size his elusiveness is good. Along with his vision, etc. it is what makes him a good RB prospect.

Sniper
10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't call a then 235 pound guy who was running past defenses "not quick".

Quick=/= speed. Quick is the first step. Running past defenses would fall under speed. Mike Hart's first step was quick. He was far from fast. The two don't mean the same thing.

bigbenn
10-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Quick=/= speed. Quick is the first step. Running past defenses would fall under speed. Mike Hart's first step was quick. He was far from fast. The two don't mean the same thing.

I know. Mikel is more quick than flat out speed so it speaks for his quickness (Along with his feet) that he would be able to bust long runs like he was last year/this year. He hasn't busted the long TD run yet, but I would bet that will change, possibly by this time tomorrow.

NotRickJames
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
This man is a beast. Have to say his draft stock is rising. He's easily a first round talent. I was sold when I saw the Ohio State game. Total beast.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
12-30-2010, 02:17 PM
This man is a beast. Have to say his draft stock is rising. He's easily a first round talent. I was sold when I saw the Ohio State game. Total beast.

Rumor is he's leaving Illinois to enter the draft.

McShay has him #30 overall.

regoob2
12-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Rumor is he's leaving Illinois to enter the draft.

McShay has him #30 overall.

McShay having him #30 means he's how much worse then Fili Moala and Al Woods... ;)

I like him. Round 2-4.

etk
12-30-2010, 06:12 PM
FWIW Al Woods just started this week for the Bucs...

Never liked Moala though.

ChiFan24
12-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Liuget was a monster against Baylor. I might buy late first round for him at this point.

TACKLE
12-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Recently I've become a big fan of his. He has great power and I've seen him overpower guards on numerous occasions. Overall, you can tell he's a very strong player. He has a big lower body that allows him to be strong and powerful at the point of attack and the upper body strength to consistently get separation and shed blocks. He's a very active player who does a nice job at tracking down the ball carrier. He's not the most explosive player and doesn't have a real extensive pass rush repertoire but has good quickness and can consistently bring pressure off the bull rush. As the poster above said, he was a beast against Baylor and was making plays all game.

He is a talented football player, with a high motor, impressive power and an ability not to stay blocked. He's not going to be a flashy player at the next leel but is guy I can see being a rock solid player inside for somebody. As far as 4-3 DT's, there isn't much behind Fairley and Paea in this class. If Liuget declares, he should rise up draft boards quickly. It wouldn't surprise me to see him push Paea for the #2 DT and possibly end up going as high as the late first.

bigbenn
01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Now that everyone (Somewhat) sees the potential I was talking about months ago, watch this film for the OSU game. Watch the play where he abuses Bryant Browning...Liuget is just a beast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlprPUyKL8M

Sniper
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I'm not saying he is right now, but by the end of the season he will be looked at as on that level (Early first round pick type of DT).

It's the end of the season and Liuget is not on Suh or McCoy's level.

P-L
01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
I love this thread.

bigbenn
01-19-2011, 03:57 PM
OfIt's the end of the season and Liuget is not on Suh or McCoy's level.

Of course not...and I should have used better wording and been more clear, but he definitely would have if he stayed at Illinois for his senior season...heck I expect the buzz on Liuget will continue to climb higher and higher as the draft approaches (Combine, workouts, etc.). He is definitely a difference maker of a prospect at DT and might shift towards the top 5 to10 IMO. So I would wait before I say he isnt seen as that type of DT. People are going to go crazy when they see him work out.

DBNYDP
01-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Not a top 10 pick. But if you are getting this guy in the second round you are absolutely getting a steal.
Late First/Early Second

thegreatone
02-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Do you guys think he could play 3-4 DE, and who does he compare to in the NFL?

Spartan4224
02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Yes very quick for a DT. I think a 3-4 DE might be a better position for him.

Spartan4224
02-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Reminds my of Ziggy Hood for the Steelers. Might be better though.

bigbenn
02-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I think he is better than Ziggy Hood. Hood was not as dominant as Liuget is.I definitely think he can play the 5 technique in the 3-4 scheme or the "under" tackle in the 4-3 and be very good either way. It's that type of versatility combined with his size, athleticism, etc. that makes Liuget special.

bigbenn
02-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Not a top 10 pick. But if you are getting this guy in the second round you are absolutely getting a steal.
Late First/Early Second

Eh. I don't know about that. I think you will be surprised.

brasho
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I think he is better than Ziggy Hood. Hood was not as dominant as Liuget is.I definitely think he can play the 5 technique in the 3-4 scheme or the "under" tackle in the 4-3 and be very good either way. It's that type of versatility combined with his size, athleticism, etc. that makes Liuget special.

You must not have seen Hood play in the Senior Bowl in 2009. He was probably the only unblockable guy there. I desperately wanted my team to trade down in round 1 to take him... but instead we took a QB to my dismay. I guess it worked out okay though. I hear Josh Freeman isn't terrible.

holt_bruce81
02-05-2011, 02:42 PM
I've seen a mock draft where they have him going to the Rams at #14. I would puke if that happens.

bigbenn
02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
You must not have seen Hood play in the Senior Bowl in 2009. He was probably the only unblockable guy there. I desperately wanted my team to trade down in round 1 to take him... but instead we took a QB to my dismay. I guess it worked out okay though. I hear Josh Freeman isn't terrible.

I'm not saying Hood isn't good and I'm definitely not saying he wasn't dominant at times. I just think Liuget is better.