PDA

View Full Version : Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois

bigbenn
10-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I could not start a thread on Liuget without starting one on Martez Wilson. Everybody knows about his physical tools and how everybody (USC, Florida, etc. etc.) wanted him coming out of high school from the 2007 recruiting class. He is now starting to put it together on the field, including a great game at Ohio State yesterday with 9 tackles, some TFL and a sack. On the season he has 34 tackles so far, 5 TFL and 2 sacks as well as a forced fumble and several dazzling plays tracking down someone in the open field. He has also made plays in pass coverage in addition to rushing the passer and stuffing the run. I thought he would blow up last year, but he had a neck injury after the first game which put him out for the year.

Now he is back, and continues to trust his neck and play physical. He has to keep improving, but I think he will be a name to discuss when draft time rolls around. He is one of a couple of names on the Illinois defense (Underclassmen included) with big league talent. 6'4, 255 pounds with 4.5 (Timed 4.4's by hand, 4.5 electronically in HS) speed. I found a video from his freshman year tracking down Detroit Lions WR Derrick Williams. This is the potential he has flashed for years. He is now putting it together now that his is bigger physically and has experience playing linebacker. He had never played it before college. Can play possibly any LB spot in a 4-3 but will probably be best used as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL. He is mostly a middle linebacker at Illinois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaHX-bi6IJ4&feature=related

Day One Pick
10-03-2010, 03:03 PM
I have him 94th overall.

princefielder28
10-03-2010, 03:37 PM
I was pleasantly surprised by his play yesterday after not seeing Illinois this year up to that point

ElectricEye
10-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm interested, but not buying right now. The lack of good 3-4 OLB's really helps him.

iowatreat54
10-03-2010, 06:43 PM
WIlson is finally starting to show a pulse this season. Still, yesterday was the first time in a while he showed what he is capable of. Most games he is very hesitant and looks somewhat lost. For those reasons, he really shouldn't be playing MLB, at the college level or otherwise. I still don't understand why Illinois doesn't use him as a rush linebacker, especially now that they have a competent DC.

I still think he has a lot he needs to improve on. I've read a lot of Illinois fans think he's gone if he has a decent to good season.

Don Vito
10-03-2010, 06:44 PM
I see Shawn Crable

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
WIlson is finally starting to show a pulse this season. Still, yesterday was the first time in a while he showed what he is capable of. Most games he is very hesitant and looks somewhat lost. For those reasons, he really shouldn't be playing MLB, at the college level or otherwise. I still don't understand why Illinois doesn't use him as a rush linebacker, especially now that they have a competent DC.

I still think he has a lot he needs to improve on. I've read a lot of Illinois fans think he's gone if he has a decent to good season.

No it wasn't...he got hurt last year which is the only reason he didn't emerge. As each game progresses, he has done more and more. The plays where you say "wow" are starting to become the norm. Watch the OSU game where he blitzes and makes J.B. Schugarts (The OSU RT), look silly dropping him to one knee on that sack he had. He has made some plays like that all year to this point. He definitely has to continuing improving because it's early, but I think he'll do so. The good thing is, while he has played pretty good, he can and will still get better.

As for playing MLB, Tez needs to be in the middle of the field for Illinois. It makes the defense a lot better because he can track the ball to either side and he also spies the QB for Illinois. And the guy behind him is a freshman, while the rush LB and DE spots have good, more mature talent. He is moved around from time to time, but he has been good in the middle. It'll be interesting to watch him from the PSU and MSU games, and the rest of the season as well.

iowatreat54
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
No it wasn't...he got hurt last year which is the only reason he didn't emerge. As each game progresses, he has done more and more. The plays where you say "wow" are starting to become the norm. Watch the OSU game where he blitzes and makes J.B. Schugarts (The OSU RT), look silly dropping him to one knee on that sack he had. He has made some plays like that all year to this point. He definitely has to continuing improving because it's early, but I think he'll do so. The good thing is, while he has played pretty good, he can and will still get better.

As for playing MLB, Tez needs to be in the middle of the field for Illinois. It makes the defense a lot better because he can track the ball to either side and he also spies the QB for Illinois. And the guy behind him is a freshman, while the rush LB and DE spots have good, more mature talent. He is moved around from time to time, but he has been good in the middle. It'll be interesting to watch him from the PSU and MSU games, and the rest of the season as well.

Yea, my bad. I know he got hurt last year, but had forgotten that he was starting to play better prior to it. Between last year and this year, he has shown a lot of improvement, so if he continues that he has a chance to be real good.

I still don't think he should be an MLB at any level because he doesn't show the instincts or IQ really to play there, but if Illinois needs him there then it is what it is. I still think he would be far more effective as an OLB where they tell him to just chase. He definitely has the athletic ability, but it's his mental ability that is holding him back. While you say there are the plays where he makes you say "WOW", there are still also the plays where he looks lost and hesitates because he doesn't know where he's supposed to go. Each play is essentially a "boom or bust" for him, imo.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Yea, my bad. I know he got hurt last year, but had forgotten that he was starting to play better prior to it. Between last year and this year, he has shown a lot of improvement, so if he continues that he has a chance to be real good.

I still don't think he should be an MLB at any level because he doesn't show the instincts or IQ really to play there, but if Illinois needs him there then it is what it is. I still think he would be far more effective as an OLB where they tell him to just chase. He definitely has the athletic ability, but it's his mental ability that is holding him back. While you say there are the plays where he makes you say "WOW", there are still also the plays where he looks lost and hesitates because he doesn't know where he's supposed to go. Each play is essentially a "boom or bust" for him, imo.

In the past, yes, which I why I always say he has been decent. Not as bad as fans made him out to be, but not the five star he was rated. But people forget that he was very raw and never played LB. He is much more consistent now, and very physical. Each passing game so far this year (Excluding Missouri because all he basically did was spy) has been his best of his career. The Martez you speak of that is lost and hesitant is not there. Do me a favor and watch the OSU game and watch the PSU game on ESPN2 this Saturday. Watch Martez (And especially Liuget) closely. I agree that his best position potential wise is as a rush LB, but he is no slouch at MLB, especially at the college level.

iowatreat54
10-05-2010, 02:22 PM
In the past, yes, which I why I always say he has been decent. Not as bad as fans made him out to be, but not the five star he was rated. But people forget that he was very raw and never played LB. He is much more consistent now, and very physical. Each passing game so far this year (Excluding Missouri because all he basically did was spy) has been his best of his career. The Martez you speak of that is lost and hesitant is not there. Do me a favor and watch the OSU game and watch the PSU game on ESPN2 this Saturday. Watch Martez (And especially Liuget) closely. I agree that his best position potential wise is as a rush LB, but he is no slouch at MLB, especially at the college level.

I've watch most of each Illinois game this year save for SIU, which I've only seen bits and pieces of. I still maintain my opinion (which counts very little) that he needs to develop a better knowledge of the game to take the next step in his development. I have yet to see him show anything above an average football IQ and instincts. Physically, he's a freak and should impress a lot of people come draft time. Do you have any feeling on if he will declare after this year or not? I can't seem to find a consensus among Illinois fans.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 03:34 PM
I've watch most of each Illinois game this year save for SIU, which I've only seen bits and pieces of. I still maintain my opinion (which counts very little) that he needs to develop a better knowledge of the game to take the next step in his development. I have yet to see him show anything above an average football IQ and instincts. Physically, he's a freak and should impress a lot of people come draft time. Do you have any feeling on if he will declare after this year or not? I can't seem to find a consensus among Illinois fans.

I agree that he needs to continue to develop in all facets no doubt. He's definitely playing better and better so it's exciting to see. As for him declaring, the consensus among Illini fans would probably be (Since they bash our own team's talent a lot) that Tez is nowhere near the NFL, when in reality he is getting closer and closer. If he continues to play at a high level and improve, he's definitely leaving. He has already expressed his thoughts on the NFL. I think he will be drafted highly (Again based upon my projected improvement for him). JMO though...

ToldLikeItIs
10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm still not convinced he can read.

bigbenn
10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm still not convinced he can read.

I hope you're discussing on the field...and I find it childish to even say something like that if you are taking a shot at his intelligence. Just FWIW and FYI, Tez is strong in the classroom.

gvibes
10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
He is big and fast. I'm still not sure he's a good football player.

ChiFan24
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I hope you're discussing on the field...and I find it childish to even say something like that if you are taking a shot at his intelligence. Just FWIW and FYI, Tez is strong in the classroom.

lolz, I've had class with him. He's not strong in the classroom. Unless strength is listening to music and having Troy Pollard answer all questions directed at him.

Good football player though. Would be solid inside or outside in a 3-4. I'd say second or third round at this point.

bigbenn
10-07-2010, 06:51 AM
lolz, I've had class with him. He's not strong in the classroom. Unless strength is listening to music and having Troy Pollard answer all questions directed at him.

Good football player though. Would be solid inside or outside in a 3-4. I'd say second or third round at this point.

GPA doesn't lie...

iowatreat54
10-07-2010, 11:00 AM
Sigh...I'm hoping by the smiley face that you are not serious.

If you are, and you think GPA is a true measure of intelligence, especially for a college athlete, then I really don't even know what to say...

*Note: I have no idea how smart Martez is or isn't. I just don't think he has great football knowledge, or hasn't really shown it.

Sniper
10-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Watch the OSU game where he blitzes and makes J.B. Schugarts (The OSU RT), look silly dropping him to one knee on that sack he had.

J.B Shugarts isn't very good, though.

ChiFan24
10-09-2010, 12:09 PM
GPA doesn't lie...:)

Yes it does.

jason96r
10-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I liked what I saw of Wilson yesterday. If a team can just play Wilson downhill than he could be pretty good.

borumir
02-16-2011, 10:04 AM
GPA doesn't lie...:)

Yeah because no one in college ever got better grades than they deserved because they were a star athlete right? GPA doesnt lie my ass, tell me why you have some of these guys getting out of college with decent GPA who can barely read then!

bigbenn
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah because no one in college ever got better grades than they deserved because they were a star athlete right? GPA doesnt lie my ass, tell me why you have some of these guys getting out of college with decent GPA who can barely read then!

Doesn't matter...Martez is going to graduate soon...oh and he left for the NFL so its moot anyway. Interesting that you brought this thread back up just for this statement. There was another thread that is still on page 2.

Sniper
02-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Doesn't matter...Martez is going to graduate soon...oh and he left for the NFL so its moot anyway. Interesting that you brought this thread back up just for this statement. There was another thread that is still on page 2.

Tell me more about how <Insert Illinois 2* recruit here*> is better than <Insert nationally ranked recruit here>. I wish to subscribe to your newsletter about how Illinois is about to come Every Position U.

bigbluedefense
02-17-2011, 01:48 PM
The JPP of this year's draft?

diabsoule
02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
The JPP of this year's draft?

That already belongs to Aldon Smith

Unbiased
02-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Why in the world do you take personal offense to it as if he's your friend?

bigbenn
02-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Why in the world do you take personal offense to it as if he's your friend?

Oh I don't...don't let the tone of the post full you it's never that serious because its a messageboard. I grew up in Chicago, watched/played against Wilson's HS, etc. Its just funny how people just pull things out of their @$$ and hide the true meaning of why they post something.

bitonti
02-18-2011, 10:24 AM
neck injuries for linebackers can be tricky things. A guy like Martez Wilson will be asked to stick his face in the fan on every play... unlike an ACL tear, surgeries to heal the neck area is not a guaranteed success. So yes, he's an outstanding athlete but he will be picked over by the doctors and that neck will be the key to his draft stock. Like how Rob Gronkowski would have been a first rounder if not for his back... if Martez Wilson misses the first round it will be because of his neck.

bigbenn
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
By the way here is a full game where you can evaluate Wilson. The Illini played Northwestern:

Part One:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6pg1x7Vfk

Part Two:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr6dHEJ1hnU

Part Three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcmsMumYAA

Part Four:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgRvptePm24

Part Five:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRHRV_mizCo

Part Six:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8hCrNrHr7E

Part Seven:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwTuYgT0l0s

Part Eight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr91Pq1Z_AM

Unbiased
02-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Oh I don't...don't let the tone of the post full you it's never that serious because its a messageboard. I grew up in Chicago, watched/played against Wilson's HS, etc. Its just funny how people just pull things out of their @$$ and hide the true meaning of why they post something.

Do you question his claim that he had a class with Martez Wilson? Someone telling the board what Wilson was like in a college class is helpful information.

Nebula
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I was suddenly pretty high on Wilson until I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCcIIuMGi2M

Granted that was against Denard Robison who has probably embarassed lots of linebackers around the country but hopefully Wilson plays a lot more consistent than that in the NFL.

TACKLE
02-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I still not sure where I stand on Martez. He was such an unnatural fit playing MLB in a 4-3. He did look lost at times there but his physical tools pop every time you watch him and he is around the ball alot. Some are projecting him as a 3-4 OLB which I can buy but its hard to project a 4-3 MLB to a primary edge pass rusher. From a physical standpoint he can have success there but we really don't know what he offers as a pass rusher. His upside is very intriguing. I know I don't like him as a 4-3 MLB at the next level but am still trying to figure out where he fits best.

bigbenn
02-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I was suddenly pretty high on Wilson until I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCcIIuMGi2M

Granted that was against Denard Robison who has probably embarassed lots of linebackers around the country but hopefully Wilson plays a lot more consistent than that in the NFL.

What exactly was so bad about that? Michigan's offense has a lot of different option run type of plays and he had to stay disciplined.

bigbenn
02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Do you question his claim that he had a class with Martez Wilson? Someone telling the board what Wilson was like in a college class is helpful information.

I know a lot more people that have told me information different than what the poster reported, so how do I know the poster isn't biased against him for some reason?

Nebula
02-18-2011, 11:45 PM
What exactly was so bad about that? Michigan's offense has a lot of different option run type of plays and he had to stay disciplined.

I said he needs to play more consistent, I never called it "bad". What did you think I meant anyway, he needs to play more consistent in leaving opening lanes for Robinson to run by? Sigh. I'm talking about the missed tackles, overpurusing, bad judgement on angles, etc. Still was impressive but some consistency is lacking there. Anyway I think its no big deal, his film against Ohio State is excellent enough for me but I was still alarmed at some of the ugly tape he put out there against Michigan

bigbenn
02-19-2011, 02:37 AM
I said he needs to play more consistent, I never called it "bad". What did you think I meant anyway, he needs to play more consistent in leaving opening lanes for Robinson to run by? Sigh. I'm talking about the missed tackles, overpurusing, bad judgement on angles, etc. Still was impressive but some consistency is lacking there. Anyway I think its no big deal, his film against Ohio State is excellent enough for me but I was still alarmed at some of the ugly tape he put out there against Michigan

I misinterpreted what you meant...I thought you meant he was just plain bad.

HakeemtheMachine
02-22-2011, 06:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOyrM-VRrM

Martez Wilson video I added a couple days ago

proshoota25
02-22-2011, 06:23 PM
i think this guy could be a sleeper 3-4 OLB prospect for the pats

ChiFan24
02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
I know a lot more people that have told me information different than what the poster reported, so how do I know the poster isn't biased against him for some reason?

Who? I've taken a decent amount of RST classes, so I'm sure I know one of them. And what specifically did they say?

I stand by my what I said. He seems like a good guy and he's a terrific prospect, and I'm an Illini fan. I'm not biased. I sat a row in front of the guy for a semester, I know what he was like in that particular class, and I don't see why he'd be any different in any other class considering it was a pretty crucial class for his major.

Nebula
03-07-2011, 04:54 PM
So, just curious, would anyone characterize Martez Wilson as instinctive and always being around the ball?

Can't wait until his darn scouting report is released

TACKLE
03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
So, just curious, would anyone characterize Martez Wilson as instinctive and always being around the ball?

No, no I wouldn't.

Nebula
03-08-2011, 03:39 PM
No, no I wouldn't.

Why so? Not that I disagree with you, but his instincts are my biggest concern with him

ellsy82
03-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I could see the Ravens thinking he's the next Ray Ray. Maybe take him at 26?

bigbluedefense
03-09-2011, 05:23 AM
I'm starting to think Martez is becoming ridiculously overrated.

He sucked at MIKE. And he is as stiff as a brick, he only has straightline speed. No instincts, plays soft, floats, let's the play come to him, can't line anyone up, stiff.

But he's big and can run fast in a straight line, and he's a 1st round pick? I don't get it.

Sniper
03-09-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm starting to think Martez is becoming ridiculously overrated.

He sucked at MIKE. And he is as stiff as a brick, he only has straightline speed. No instincts, plays soft, floats, let's the play come to him, can't line anyone up, stiff.

But he's big and can run fast in a straight line, and he's a 1st round pick? I don't get it.

Watch it now. You're hating on an Illinois player. Everyone knows Illinois players are the best. ThaKid/bigbenn is coming for you!

FUNBUNCHER
03-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Martez Wilson might never have the instincts or anticipation or physicality of the great MIKEs in the game, but if you put him at ILB in a 34, I bet everything he has a more productive career than Rolando McClain, simply because he's 5x the athlete McClain is and has superior range.

Sniper
03-09-2011, 07:16 AM
he's 5x the athlete McClain is and has superior range.

Which is all well and good, but he's not as good as McClain in, you know, actually playing football.

FUNBUNCHER
03-09-2011, 07:41 AM
Which is all well and good, but he's not as good as McClain in, you know, actually playing football.

True, but McClain IMO is almost painfully slow and if the play isn't coming directly at him, he struggles to pursue to the ballcarrier.

I'd suggest that McClain's poor athleticism is part of the reason he struggled so much as a rookie.

Martez needs to be paired with a really astute ILB who can key him in on plays prior to the snap so that he's headed in the right direction until he picks up the defense.

Is he a top 15 pick?? Maybe not.

But the way people are trashing him, you'd think he was Bobby Carpenter's cousin.

I still don't know if there's a better ILB prospect in this draft than Wilson.

Average instincts paired with elite athleticism for the position can work out to a very long NFL career.

Martez Wilson is somewhere between Karlos Dansby and Derrick Johnson IMO, with the chance to develop into a slightly better football player.

If you need a starter at ILB and you're picking in the 20s, Martez Wilson is an easy pick.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Martez can be as fast as a bullet. It means nothing when you play as soft as a pillow.

The guy hates contact. And he has no instincts.

I want no part of this guy.

And he doesn't even have elite athleticism. He's stiff. He should be a pass rusher if anything. He's way too stiff to play LB.

CheeseKnuckles
03-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I like Nate Irving more than I like Martez... I don't know anything about playing MLB though.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Martez can be as fast as a bullet. It means nothing when you play as soft as a pillow.

The guy hates contact. And he has no instincts.

I want no part of this guy.

And he doesn't even have elite athleticism. He's stiff. He should be a pass rusher if anything. He's way too stiff to play LB.

I am not going to disagree with any of this, because I have felt the same way at points watching him over his career.

But, I will say: How do you become a pass rusher if you are scared of contact?

I think Martez has a good shot to be taken in the late 1st now. I would not take him there, however.

bitonti
03-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I think Martez has a good shot to be taken in the late 1st now. I would not take him there, however.

good points all, i also have trouble valuing this player. He should be a 1st rounder based on workouts but he's probably not when the actual draft comes along. The neck injury is also a scary thing, especially for a linebacker who is expected to tackle alot.

Nebula
03-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Average instincts paired with elite athleticism for the position can work out to a very long NFL career.

But not a dominant career. Aaron Curry and Keith Rivers disagree with you

bitonti
04-25-2011, 07:10 AM
just want to bump this and say these are first round numbers in terms of workout results... i think the Jets at 30 are very interested. Rex was at his pro day. Take it fwiw.

Flyboy
05-22-2011, 11:34 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Gregg Williams does with Wilson..

bucfan12
05-23-2011, 11:03 AM
It'll be interesting to see what Gregg Williams does with Wilson..

Apparently they plan to use him at SLB. Surprised they took him over Mason Foster, who I think is the better player. Wilson I think is going to be a disapointment. He has excellent speed when running in a straight line, but watch his film at Illinois. Stiff hips and doesn't move well laterally. Great athlete, but not a great football player.

bornnraisedwhodat
05-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Apparently they plan to use him at SLB. Surprised they took him over Mason Foster, who I think is the better player. Wilson I think is going to be a disappointment. He has excellent speed when running in a straight line, but watch his film at Illinois. Stiff hips and doesn't move well laterally. Great athlete, but not a great football player.

Saints wanted Foster but they had a 2nd round grade on Wilson. They would have took foster if he was still there at #88 but u guys took him.

I disagree that Wilson is not a good football player. I think Foster will be a solid LB, he will tackle well and make plays, but I do not think he will be some perennial pro-bowler. Wilson has the POTENTIAL to be a str8 up beast. But he is raw and will need work. Gregg Williams will get the best out of this guy. He will be used on the blitz more and be asked to cover a TE on occasion.