PDA

View Full Version : The 2013 Free Agency Thread

D-Unit
10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Seeing as Jerry has always preferred the FA route for addressing the OL, I figured I'd start this thread off with this year's OL FAs. There are a lot of interesting names here.

Not sure how many actually hit FA, but this is a list we can start off with.

Jared Gaither, BAL
Matt Light, NE
Donald Penn, TB
Jermon Bushrod, NO
Willie Colon, PIT
Carl Nicks, NO
Logan Mankins, NE
Ryan Kalil, CAR
Daryn Colledge, GB
Evan Mathis, CIN
Alan Faneca, ARI
Tyson Clabo, ATL
Doug Free, DAL
Ryan Harris, DEN
Jon Jansen, DET
Charlie Johnson, IND
Tony Ugoh, IND
Ryan O'Callaghan, KC
Mario Henderson, OAK
Khalif Barnes, OAK
Jeromey Clary, SD
Ray Willis, SEA
Jeremy Trueblood, TB
Stephon Heyer, WAS
Reggie Wells, ARI
Deuce Lutui, ARI
Lyle Sendlein, ARI
Quinn Ojinnaka, ATL
Justin Blalock, ATL
Harvey Dahl, ATL
Marshal Yanda, BAL
Chris Chester, BAL
Josh Beekman, CHI
Olin Kreutz, CHI
Nate Livings, CIN
Kyle Cook, CIN
Kyle Kosier, DAL
Manuel Ramirez, DET
Jason Spitz, GB
Uche Nwaneri, JAC
Casey Wiegmann, KC
Rudy Niswanger, KC
Richie Incognito, MIA
Jonathan Goodwin, NO
Chris Morris, OAK
Samson Satele, OAK
Max Jean-Gilles, PHI
Nick Cole, PHI
David Baas, SF
Chris Spencer, SEA
John Greco, STL
Mark Setterstrom, STL
Davin Joseph, TB
Leroy Harris, TEN

ricowboy
10-21-2010, 05:35 AM
A coaching change will determine the free agent choices this offseason. I can se 3 to 4 OLinemen arriving via free agency. 1 elite player and 2 to 3 Kosier type lineman. We have been terrible at drafting OLinemen, but this line is built to run block and we simply don't consistently run the ball enough. Recently, we have run the ball more, but just when the RB's and Line get in there groove Garrett switches to the pass.

LonghornsLegend
12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Just something to take note of:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis and Danny Woodhead are averaging 5.1 YPC since LG Logan Mankins returned four games ago.
Mankins is a fierce run blocker, and he's also helped to keep Tom Brady clean, as well, as the Patriots have given up just two sacks over the last three contests. "I think their running game has become more of a factor,’’ said an NFC pro personnel director. "Mankins brought back a lot of kick-butt attitude to that line.’’
Source: Boston Globe

So he basically wasn't rusty at all, and is out there dominating. Hopefully he's already pissed at the Pats and won't return. Can he be tagged? Because if it's a lock right now that he hits FA I don't see us getting outbid on him honestly.

It's been awhile since Jerry spent top dollar for a guy but we need the help now and he went to get Leonard Davis and Columbo when we needed them. You know he prefers FA O-lineman anyway, and Mankins is a huge addition.

I don't think Nicks will hit FA, but he'd be a nice option #2 if he did.

baghdadbob
12-02-2010, 10:38 AM
..... but this line is built to run block and we simply don't consistently run the ball enough.....

We get no movement on our line even with the size.

They don't drive block well at all.

AntoinCD
12-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Just something to take note of:

So he basically wasn't rusty at all, and is out there dominating. Hopefully he's already pissed at the Pats and won't return. Can he be tagged? Because if it's a lock right now that he hits FA I don't see us getting outbid on him honestly.

It's been awhile since Jerry spent top dollar for a guy but we need the help now and he went to get Leonard Davis and Columbo when we needed them. You know he prefers FA O-lineman anyway, and Mankins is a huge addition.

I don't think Nicks will hit FA, but he'd be a nice option #2 if he did.

Do not even joke about something like that. He has remembered what he loved about NE and wants to stay there for the rest of his career. All is forgiven...fingers crossed

LonghornsLegend
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Do not even joke about something like that. He has remembered what he loved about NE and wants to stay there for the rest of his career. All is forgiven...fingers crossed

What's the chances of you guys tagging and trading him? I'm just trying to figure out what your options are, I'm crossing my fingers he's gone lol.

AntoinCD
12-02-2010, 10:53 AM
What's the chances of you guys tagging and trading him? I'm just trying to figure out what your options are, I'm crossing my fingers he's gone lol.

I dont see us letting him go for nothing. I think we would tag him and trade him if he won't sign long term

D-Unit
12-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Without a new CBA I don't think teams can even apply the tag. The tag is one of the things players hate most about the old CBA. I don't know the facts though, so I'm going off assumption. However, I think the news that the new CBA is making progress is good. I think the tag will be altered or gone with.

dan77733
01-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Without a new CBA I don't think teams can even apply the tag. The tag is one of the things players hate most about the old CBA. I don't know the facts though, so I'm going off assumption. However, I think the news that the new CBA is making progress is good. I think the tag will be altered or gone with.

I read an article on PFT a few days ago and to sum it up, if you have a franchise player that you want to tag, you can do so. While the franchise tag could be removed depending on the new CBA, it doesnt make any sense to not franchise tag a player because if you dont and the franchise tag still exists in the new CBA, you're basically letting that player leave for free so mine as well franchise tag that player. The deadline to franchise tag players is still ten days before free agency starts. That remains the same as of the current CBA.

As a 49ers fan, im hoping they franchise NT Aubrayo Franklin for the second straight season. If he or other players dont like it, too bad. I sure as hell wouldnt let him leave for free and $7m+ for one season guaranteed is pretty damn good.

And OL wise, im hoping for the same player you guys want - OG Logan Mankins from NE. Only difference is that I want him to play RG next to rookie RT Anthony Davis because he'll only improve if he has a veteran RG next to him. Of course, I dont see NE letting him leave for free as they're not that stupid.

Umoro
02-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Question: If Quintin Mikell of the Eagles were to hit free agency this year, would it be worthwhile for the Cowboys to sign him? Could he be the solution to the safety problems the Cowboys have had for years?

UTPATS
02-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Question: If Quintin Mikell of the Eagles were to hit free agency this year, would it be worthwhile for the Cowboys to sign him? Could he be the solution to the safety problems the Cowboys have had for years?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d81b07422/Torain-12-yard-TD-run

Hmmm, no thanks!

leroyisgod
02-01-2011, 01:11 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/washington-redskins/09000d5d81b07422/Torain-12-yard-TD-run

Hmmm, no thanks!

Whoa, Torain looks like a stud after that collision. Mikel really declined this year.

Macarthur
02-01-2011, 01:41 PM
I don't like Mikell.

D-Unit
02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Justin Blalock needs to be our #1 FA target.

Macarthur
02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, Blalock or or Mankins. Blalock would come cheaper. If we can get one of those OT's in the draft and Blalock, I think we could live one more year with DAvis and Geroude. However, I think it would still be nice if we hit on a guard later in the draft that could take over for DAvis in 2012.

I think this would be a good plan:

2011:
Free
Blalock
Geroude
DAvis
Carimi/Sherrod/Cannon

2012:
Free
Blalock
Geroude
Moffitt/Chris Stewart/Keith Williams
Carimi/Sherrod/Cannon

xxxxxxxx
02-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Macarther, dude, it's Gurode.

Come on, man!

Macarthur
02-07-2011, 04:41 PM
It's Macarthur! :)

TheFinisher
02-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Nnamdi

That is all

D-Unit
02-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Yeah, Blalock or or Mankins. Blalock would come cheaper. If we can get one of those OT's in the draft and Blalock, I think we could live one more year with DAvis and Geroude. However, I think it would still be nice if we hit on a guard later in the draft that could take over for DAvis in 2012.

I think this would be a good plan:

2011:
Free
Blalock
Geroude
DAvis
Carimi/Sherrod/Cannon

2012:
Free
Blalock
Geroude
Moffitt/Chris Stewart/Keith Williams
Carimi/Sherrod/Cannon
I say draft a Center instead of a Guard and move Gurode to OG while we develop a young Guard.

TheFinisher
02-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I say draft a Center instead of a Guard and move Gurode to OG while we develop a young Guard.

What do you think about Wisniewski D?

Macarthur
02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

I would be fine with that. You know, Moffitt has played center.

UTPATS
02-08-2011, 09:26 AM
I would be fine with that. You know, Moffitt has played center.

I like Moffitt as well. Not sure how good he really is or if it was because of who he played along side.

If we draft him, it will be at the earliest round 4 and he could play all three interior line positions. Who all do we have as back ups right now in those positions (LG, C, RG)?

LonghornsLegend
03-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Michael Huff - DB - Raiders
ESPN's Tim MacMahon has a "hunch" that the Cowboys might be interesting in free agent FS Michael Huff.
Huff is a coverage safety, something the Cowboys' leaky secondary badly needs. He played at Texas and new Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan was the Raiders' coordinator when they drafted Huff seventh overall in 2006. Huff would be a nice upgrade over Alan Ball.
Related: Alan Ball, Cowboys

Also for how his career started slow, here is a blurb about how well he did last year and how active he was:

Impending free agent FS Michael Huff has stated a desire to re-sign with the Raiders.
Then-coach Tom Cable stated last offseason that Huff had finally arrived, and he responded with his best season to date. In addition to a career-best 94 tackles, Huff added a career-high four sacks, four QB hurries, three INTs, three forced fumbles, and seven passes defensed while exceeding expectations in coverage. The Raiders will have competition for his services if he makes it to the open market.

I think he's one of the guys we have to wait until a new CBA is reached to officially become a FA. Huff can play SS and FS but I think he'd play FS here with us, he did both in Oakland. He's exactly what we need at that position, a clear upgrade, and it lets us kick Ball back to CB for great depth.

I still want to draft a SS in the draft, hopefully we still look at Deunta Williams who I think is a good SS prospect if healthy but will be around a bit later.

And for some OL upgrades in FA, ATL has 3 guys scheduled to hit and I would take either guy, but I want Blalock the most. It's from PFT but I'll just quote ATL:

Figured I'd post this. I always enjoy reading PFF, even if I disagree with some of the stuff. (Like Dahl in this post for example).

Harvey Dahl, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of 1st September 2011: 30

2010 Grade: +13.6

Key Stat: Third-ranked right guard for 2010.

Behind The Numbers: When you think of Harvey Dahl, there are a few phrases that have been programmed into us. “Nasty player” and “plays after the whistle” come to mind, but he’s more than that. Making the most of his talent, Dahl recovered from a poor season opener to have a great 2010. Rarely dominant, Dahl gets by and not making all that many mistakes. In a league lacking top quality linemen, that’s enough to make him a good one.

Justin Blalock, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of 1st September 2011: 27

2010 Grade: +10.1

Key Stat: Has improved on our grading every year since entering the league.

Behind The Numbers: A high pick from the Petrino regime, Blalock has been a testament to sticking with a guy. As a rookie he was terrible, as a sophomore not much better. But then in year number three he showed something (outside of an Albert Haynesworth mauling). Come 2010. it was like the development had finally borne consistently tasty fruit. Not a superstar, but an above-average player who has eliminated a lot of the mistakes that made evaluating him such a disappointment.

Tyson Clabo, Atlanta Falcons

Age as of September 1st 2011: 29

2010 Grade: +10.8

Key Stat: Gave up just one penalty on the year.

Behind The Numbers: Not the greatest athlete, Clabo is one of a host of Falcons linemen who are better for the unit they are in. Makes the most of his ability, and did a good job protecting his quarterback. You’d still like to see a right tackle more imposing in the run game on a consistent basis.

I would be very happy to come away with Huff and Blalock in FA. Two major areas needing upgraded, both were highly touted prospects coming into the NFL, started slow, both had great seasons last year and both could continue playing very well.

Both are gonna be decent signings also, not the top of the tier at their positions. Atogwe was gonna get more then Huff.

E-Man
03-07-2011, 07:06 PM
I remember wanting Blalock bad the draft year he came out. I've liked him in the pros too. He's not the greatest world beater of all time, but he is a good player I'd like to have here. He's from here too, so hopefully that helps get him here. He can come back home and put the blue and silver on.

dan77733
03-09-2011, 02:08 AM
Here's a question about LT Doug Free. I read that the Cowboys tendered him at the highest level which would require 1st and 3rd round draft picks in compensation but my question is - if the new CBA allows players to become UFA's after four seasons, wouldnt Free be an UFA this off-season?

D-Unit
03-09-2011, 03:10 AM
Here's a question about LT Doug Free. I read that the Cowboys tendered him at the highest level which would require 1st and 3rd round draft picks in compensation but my question is - if the new CBA allows players to become UFA's after four seasons, wouldnt Free be an UFA this off-season?
If? Is that something you heard would happen or is that just an arbitrary number? My guess would that it wouldn't have an immediate effect on this year's FAs.

UTPATS
03-09-2011, 07:36 AM
Surely they wouldn't put it into effect this year. NFL Network talked about some of the things that might happen would give teams some time to adjust to the new agreement.

dan77733
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm saying four years because thats what it was the last two CBA's. I doubt the players would want to make it longer than that and if it stays at four years, I do think that it would affect players who would have normally been UFA's to begin with because why would the players union wait until next year? They're not going to do that because you mine as well just make it five or six seasons.

As a 49ers fan, im expecting it to be four years and to lose my starting FS Dashon Goldson in the process. I just think that teams tendered players in case there's a lockout or if the new CBA allows players to be UFA's after five or six years instead of four.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Macarthur
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
I mentioned this on the draft board, but what do you guys think of Signing Franklin from SF? He's a pretty decent NT and moving Rat out to DE would, in essence, fill two holes with one signing.

Macarthur
05-05-2011, 05:02 PM
I know we talk about Nnamdi a lot, but what do you guys think odds that Johnathan Joseph is actually free?

UTPATS
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM
Mac, I don't what the likelihood is, but I like Joseph, if he can stay clean...

LonghornsLegend
05-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I never gave Joseph much thought honestly. Love the player, think he can be a #1, but if we don't shell out big bucks I'd rather we go all in on interior offensive line and safety. If we could afford 2 safeties go for it, or 2 guards. I'd be willing to go into the season with the CB's we have if we could stock on up those other 2 positions.

Joseph is gonna get paid too, just not an all time deal like Aso will but huge money. I could see a team like the Lions being very interested.

LonghornsLegend
05-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Aso rumors are coming on strong. Looks like it's gonna be down to us or Philly, and if Jerry really wants him he won't get outbid by anyone except Washington. This does make our team look competely different if we are able to land him, especially helps when you have terrible safety play.

I really hope it gets down and gets front loaded, maybe signing him will speed up the process of getting rid of some of the dead weight on this team.

D-Unit
05-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Where are you hearing those rumors LL?

M.O.T.H.
05-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I wouldnt read into anything right now with Aso or any FA. No one is really supposed to comment on anything. For all we know, there could be 12 teams interested in him. Schefter through out a few names, but that was speculation, more so than known team interest for sure.

D-Unit
05-08-2011, 03:07 PM
I wouldnt read into anything right now with Aso or any FA. No one is really supposed to comment on anything. For all we know, there could be 12 teams interested in him. Schefter through out a few names, but that was speculation, more so than known team interest for sure.

Schefter has a history of accurate reporting. He's not usually one to specifically name names of teams just for the sake of speculatory conversation.

M.O.T.H.
05-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Sure when there isnt a lockout. No one should even be passing any info to him during the lockout. He just named "primary suitors". He was just naming the most logical teams. Right now, all his sources have to be dead silent.

Any free agent info you hear right now should be taken with a grain of salt. The whole FA structure has no foundation at the moment, no one knows how much they will have to spend, or who will even be available.

D-Unit
05-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Sure when there isnt a lockout. No one should even be passing any info to him during the lockout. He just named "primary suitors". He was just naming the most logical teams. Right now, all his sources have to be dead silent.

Any free agent info you hear right now should be taken with a grain of salt. The whole FA structure has no foundation at the moment, no one knows how much they will have to spend, or who will even be available.
Meh... You don't need a FA structure before you know which teams are interested. As for information passing, I won't assume to say nothing's happening. Dead silent? Doubtful. Teams aren't sitting idle just because there's a current lockout. You can guaran-damn-tee that there is a lot of post draft FA analysis going on now that teams have a chance to re-evaluate their needs. If his sources are feeding him info on how those evaluations are going, there's plenty of reason to believe in a guy who's got the reputation for being accurate on his reports.

M.O.T.H.
05-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Sure every team has plans regarding FA. They have for months. But the info wells are pretty damn dry regarding actual players, landing here or there. Its been an insanely slow news year for football. Teams aren't really sharing info with media outlets at all. FA itself is a haze, nothing is certain. And Schefter never said "according to my sources", he named primary suitors for Aso, the same teams that everyone has been naming. Teams that have potentially enough money and a need at CB. It's all just logical speculation. Nothing to get excited over.

leroyisgod
06-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Here's my FA wish list. This is indeed if they change the eligibility for RFA's.

Our players to re-sign

Doug Free- HIGH PRIORITY
Kyle Kosier- MEDIUM PRIORITY
Stephen Bowen- MEDIUM PRIORITY
Gerald Sensabaugh- MEDIUM PRIORITY

FA's

G- Harvey Dahl
G- Logan Mankins
G- Carl Nicks
DE- Cullin Jenkins
DT- Aubrayo Franklin
CB- Nnamdi Asomugha
S- Dawan Landry
S- Michael Huff
S- Eric Weddle
K- David Akers

LonghornsLegend
06-24-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm reading more and more that Aso is a longshot. Whether or not you believe that is another story. My concern is that it sounds like Sensy is walking.

So we need 2 Safeties in one off-season :-/ Have no idea how we'll pull that off, which is why I wanted to draft at least ONE supposed starter there. Landry can play SS and Huff can play FS, but that's overkill to do that in one off-season.

That's not even taking into consideration Guard, which we probably need 1 really bad. I don't know if we have that type of money without letting alot of guys go. Who knows. But if we don't get 2 upgrades at both safety positions we'll be picking 15-20.

LonghornsLegend
06-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Where are you hearing those rumors LL?

Sorry I never even saw this.

ESPN's Adam Schefter lists the Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins, and Ravens as the primary suitors for Nnamdi Asomugha.
"And there will be more," Schefter adds. The Eagles and Cowboys have been connected to Asomugha since January, and the Redskins can never be ruled out of a high-profile free agent chase. The Ravens seem less likely to get involved after drafting Jimmy Smith. The Chargers, Texans, and Jets have also been mentioned as potential destinations. Related: Ravens, Cowboys, Redskins, Eagles

The Dallas Morning News' Rainer Sabin speculates the Cowboys may make a big push for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha simply to keep him away from the Eagles.
Both clubs need to upgrade their secondaries, and figure to be two of Asomugha's most vigorous suitors. ESPN's Adam Schefter listed Dallas and Philadelphia as two of Asomugha's most likely destinations on Thursday, along with division rival Washington. Related: Cowboys

Those were in May. This is from June:

Sports Illustrated's Peter King has the Eagles, Cowboys and Ravens as the three favorites for free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
King could also see the Jets being interested "if they figure Antonio Cromartie is too big of a risk to sign long-term," and makes the case that Houston should make a run at the top available free agent. Ravens HC John Harbaugh admitted over the weekend that his team is at least keeping an eye on Asomugha. Related: Ravens, Cowboys, Eagles

Then Mosely came out with this recently:

According to Fox Sports Southwest's Matt Mosley, it's a "long shot" that the Cowboys will end up signing free agent Nnamdi Asomugha.
Mosley got the info from a team insider as a response to the Cowboys' No. 2 ranking in the recent Asomugha sweepstakes from SI.com's Peter King. Dallas could use a lock-down corner, but they're expected to be up against the salary cap once the CBA is finalized. An Asomugha signing would necessitate cutting a handful of veterans while outbidding all other suitors. Related: Cowboys

So the only teams constantly linked to him are us and Philly. Not sure if we want 2 believe 1 or the other is more likely. I just know if we did get him we'd still have a ton of holes to fill.

thule
06-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Mosley actually said this on twitter.

I noticed Peter King had Cowboys No. 2 in Nnamdi sweepstakes. But I'm told by Cows' officials that's a LONG shot.

I'm gonna side with Mosley.

thule
06-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Interesting to note if FA goes back to 4 years a couple of names pop up.

The pool at safety, a primary position of need, would become significantly deeper. San Diego's Eric Weddle, Chicago's Danieal Manning and Indianapolis' Melvin Bullitt are among the safeties who would have been restricted under last year's rules but would be free to test the open market under the new proposal.

I'm 99% sure we had all 3 players to dallas for workouts before the draft. Something to think about...I think we will take a look at Bullitt.

LonghornsLegend
06-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I remember us looking at Weddle hard.

Also a name not brought up much, Davin Joseph. He's likely gonna walk, pretty high up there as far as best Guards available in FA.

LonghornsLegend
06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Mosley actually said this on twitter.

I noticed Peter King had Cowboys No. 2 in Nnamdi sweepstakes. But I'm told by Cows' officials that's a LONG shot.

I'm gonna side with Mosley.

I'm gonna side with Jerry. You don't think that if he doesn't want Aso he won't get him? That's all that matters, I just like to follow the rumor mill. Money won't be an issue, it'll just be an issue as far as who else we could get outside of him.

TheFinisher
06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Just some scrambled thoughts:

I'd love to sign Aso but my gut tells me it's not going to happen. Unfortunately I think our staff is holding out hope for Jenkins to be our future #1 and banking on a return to 2009 form. I think we avoid CB in FA altogether.

I'm still a little upset we didn't make a play for Atogwe when he hit the market, the rest of the FA safety crop is mostly JAGs. Weddle is a solid player and I'd be pretty happy with him, I'm just nervous we're going to settle for a cheap option like Abram Elam and use the excuse that he knows Rob's defense.

I'll post more a little later.

LonghornsLegend
06-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Ryan is gonna give his input on Michael Huff, it's a bad sign if we don't sign him for how sorry he really is because he's the obvious choice. He made some big plays last year; INT's, sacks, FF's, and his coverage improved. He's from Irving, TX, played with Ryan in Oakland for a few years, and the need for us is pretty obvious.

I think he's one of our highest rated targets, nothing to be excited for but an obvious upgrade over Alan Ball. But I think Sensy walks too, so we need another 1.

I'm really upset with the handling of the safety position since Darren Woodson has left. We didn't want to admit that Roy sucked for like 3-4 years, and then every year in the draft there is never a guy good enough to draft. I don't get it.

Yet Abram Elam managed to get away in all of this and go onto to be a really solid starting safety, while we are giving Alan Ball starting chances. Lol.

TheFinisher
06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
It seems like Safety has been our top off-season need forever lol. Luckily next year's safety class looks to have some solid talent; Armstrong, Lester, McDonald, Whitley, etc. Hopefully we can finally invest in a blue chip safety.

On another note I'm not sure what we do with AOA, I just wish they gave him some PT last year even if he wasn't ready. The season was lost, it was a perfect situation to get him in there, ugh.

LonghornsLegend
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Anyone know, or know where to find out what our cap number is sitting at? Doesn't even have to be exact. Just curious what are some ideal targets since we'll have 120 on the cap.

M.O.T.H.
07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Even without re-signing our own guys we're like $18 million over that $120 million cap. lol.

Cap hell sucks.

LonghornsLegend
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Even without re-signing our own guys we're like $18 million over that $120 million cap. lol.

Cap hell sucks.

So if you consider guys like Doug Free and Stephen Bowen locks, we'll essentially have crap at both safety spots for another year? Wooo hooo pick #17 here we come. Should be fun to hear Tony get blamed for everything again when we let everyone score 30 points.

TheFinisher
07-15-2011, 06:37 PM
So if we're 18 Mil over the cap right now, how the hell do we get under?

thule
07-15-2011, 06:48 PM
So if we're 18 Mil over the cap right now, how the hell do we get under?

Say hello to Barber/Newman/Roy/Davis/Columbo

Also Romo and Miles and someone else has clauses to turn their bonus's into cap over the life of their contract I believe. That should be close to 10m off the books for 2011 right away. Money isn't going to be a big issue for us. We knew this was coming I expect we'll have a plan in place when the number is set.

LonghornsLegend
07-15-2011, 07:52 PM
I highly doubt Newman and Roy get cut, as much as I want them 2. The chances are less then 5%.

M.O.T.H.
07-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Yeah I agree with both there.

If we cut Roy it's an enormous cap hit. That's an insane amount of dead money. Newman saves us money, but I really doubt he's going anywhere.

To get under...Barber and Colombo are certainly gone. That's like $9 million off right there. Leonard Davis only saves us just under $2 million, so they have a decision to make there. And then as Thule said, we'll have to restructure the hell out of our star player's big contracts. That said, re-signing Free, which is a given, may get pricy. Kosier, Bowen, and Hatcher would probably be re-signed as well.

It's going to take a lot of creativity to get things done. It's all up in the air right now, as to how much money we'll really have to spend. Just dont expect us to actually have the money to make a realistic play for anyone like Aso. In comparison, the Eagles are sitting at a total team salary of about $95 millon right now. They can get whatever the hell they want in free agency. And the Skins are going to rape FA anyway with all their cash.

M.O.T.H.
07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I dont buy it...but so many stories about us having trouble to re-sign Free have been cropping up today. Some even calling it unlikely. The $18 million in the red, is certainly clouding things up, but I'd be shocked if we didnt clear enough cash to keep Free around. He's going to be expensive, but it should get done.

bigbluedefense
07-16-2011, 04:57 PM
If you guys don't get help for that secondary, to be quite frank, I think your defense will be middle of the pack. I'm not scared of the Cowboys defense as it stands right now.

And I don't think Rob Ryan alone will make any difference. For what it's worth, Wade's resume as a defensive guru far outweigh's Robs, it's not like Rob is replacing a terrible DC, if anything, Wade was a better DC than Rob will be.

I think Dallas's front 7 is solid. Not dominant, but solid. But that secondary is very suspect right now. And that doesn't bode well with the WR cores of the NFC East.

You guys might have to outscore everybody in the division to win the East. (I know the innate flaw in that statement, but you get what I'm saying)

With that offense though, it's very possible.

M.O.T.H.
07-16-2011, 04:59 PM
We all know we're in desperate need of secondary help...we just dont know what we'll really have to spend yet. We also need to re-sign Bowen and/or Hatcher, so we can actually man a front 7. haha.

bigbluedefense
07-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Jonathan Joseph may be a possibility. But he'll still probably require a big pay day.

I still don't get the Tyron Smith pick. I've stated in the past that I'm not a big fan of his, but even if he does pan out, it doesn't make sense unless you don't resign Free.

Bc paying Free big bucks then throwing him at RT doesn't make much sense either.

LonghornsLegend
07-16-2011, 07:04 PM
I still don't get the Tyron Smith pick. I've stated in the past that I'm not a big fan of his, but even if he does pan out, it doesn't make sense unless you don't resign Free.

Bc paying Free big bucks then throwing him at RT doesn't make much sense either.

Who did you want our RT to be?

M.O.T.H.
07-16-2011, 07:20 PM
meh. I wanted Smith real bad in this draft. Screw offensive line mediocrity, I want the best possible players along that line, regardless of price. I see no problem in spending big bucks or high draft picks on a RT these days. Pass Rushers a plenty in the NFC East, and outside pass rushers continue to get more and more freakish as the years pass. I was 100% behind the idea of teaming Free up with Smith for the long term.

LonghornsLegend
07-16-2011, 08:26 PM
meh. I wanted Smith real bad in this draft. Screw offensive line mediocrity, I want the best possible players along that line, regardless of price. I see no problem in spending big bucks or high draft picks on a RT these days. Pass Rushers a plenty in the NFC East, and outside pass rushers continue to get more and more freakish as the years pass. I was 100% behind the idea of teaming Free up with Smith for the long term.

Exactly. It made so much sense for so long that you didn't think Jerry would even do it. It was probably our biggest need, when you look at the options we had, and with what we wanted to do on offense it wasn't going to happen without two athletic bookend tackles.

Nobody else there even made sense, we still have work to do on the interior but it feels good to know the outside is done and we can get back to more 5 and 7 step drops.

bigbluedefense
07-17-2011, 10:30 AM
A top 10 pick on a RT though? Even if you move him to LT, you move Free to RT and pay him big bucks, so it's still a large investment for a RT.

You could've moved back in the draft, got Gabe Carimi to play RT, pay Free, and that would be just as good and much cheaper.

M.O.T.H.
07-17-2011, 03:37 PM
You could do that...but you have to realize that Tyron Smith has the largest ceiling of any of the OTs in this draft by far. He's a freaky talent. Our o-line has been a hindrance, we really needed to target the best talent available, and we did. It really wouldnt surprise me to see RTs getting drafted earlier and paid more with regularity, the way the league is going.

A great deal of us, wanted this pick. Knowing full well that Free would be back as well.

LonghornsLegend
07-17-2011, 03:54 PM
A top 10 pick on a RT though? Even if you move him to LT, you move Free to RT and pay him big bucks, so it's still a large investment for a RT.

You could've moved back in the draft, got Gabe Carimi to play RT, pay Free, and that would be just as good and much cheaper.

And we also could have moved back, grabbed an average RT for cheaper money, and have a much worse player then Tyron Smith. Why can't you spend the #9 overall pick on a RT if it's your most glaring need and he is an elite player? I don't get how that scenario, makes less sense then moving down for a much more average Tackle just because he's cheaper.

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to have two elite tackles on bookends, who are both extremely athletic. We pass the ball a ton, Romo has been getting hit, and Tyron was by far the best Tackle in the entire draft.

Protecting your QB doesn't ever not make sense, it's not like were talking about Jake Long going to be a RT at #1 overall, it's the 9th pick for a team who shouldn't have been picking that high anyway.

Do you really think it made sense to take a more average player because it's cheaper between the 9th pick and the 17th pick? Yea we get another mid rounder or 2 to take a gamble on, but at the expense of missing out on a stud.

Honestly I think that's an old myth BBD that has gone out the window now. It's a new day and age, not old school anymore. Pass rushers are on both sides of the line, look at how you guys develop your D-line with pass rushing talent and then tell me we need an average RT for some reason? It's far more important than it used to be.

Everything we want to do revolves around protection on the ends, and with two potentially elite players there it makes the offense move better.

bigbluedefense
07-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Honestly, I think my displeasure of the pick stems from my dislike of Tyron Smith. I thought he'd be a disappointment, so I'm not his biggest fan.

Whereas I had a man crush on Gabe Carimi, so to me it wasn't that big of a difference in talent in comparing the 2, but again, that's a difference of opinion. I could very well be wrong and Smith could be a stud.

I honestly thought the oline wasn't that bad. Free really shored up the left side which was a big problem in the past.

As an outsider looking in, I felt that the secondary and DE position were your biggest holes.

I agree though, RT is more important today than it was in the past. And now that I think of it, with the rookie wage scale in place, you really didn't spend that much on Smith anyway. So I stand corrected on that.

LonghornsLegend
07-17-2011, 06:23 PM
We alot of weak links on the line. Leonard Davis is terrible, so is Columbo. I don't know who is worse honestly but both needed replaced and had no one else available. DE wasn't a huge need with Stephen Bowen waiting in the wings, and Igor still signed. Those guys aren't world beaters, but starter quality.

I also didn't see what you didn't like about Tyron. On film he looks alot like Jason Smith did coming out, he moves incredible out in space for a man his size but when he makes contact he's going to punish you. He did it against good competition and he's the ideal guy in that he has the length and strength to handle the power rushers but gifted enough to stick with pass rushers.

His only questions were playing at his size and could he maintain it. I just wanted the best possible player at RT because no other position had the same value. Might as well take advantage of having a pick that high, knowing how many of the past few drafts we traded back for a bunch of average players not even here, I was right on board with the elite, top rated player at a huge position of need.

Only other guy who made some sense was JJ Watt, and if we didn't have Bowen or Hatcher he would have gotten a bit more consideration.

thule
07-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Honestly, I think my displeasure of the pick stems from my dislike of Tyron Smith. I thought he'd be a disappointment, so I'm not his biggest fan.

Whereas I had a man crush on Gabe Carimi, so to me it wasn't that big of a difference in talent in comparing the 2, but again, that's a difference of opinion. I could very well be wrong and Smith could be a stud.

I honestly thought the oline wasn't that bad. Free really shored up the left side which was a big problem in the past.

As an outsider looking in, I felt that the secondary and DE position were your biggest holes.

I agree though, RT is more important today than it was in the past. And now that I think of it, with the rookie wage scale in place, you really didn't spend that much on Smith anyway. So I stand corrected on that.

Came across this on the wage scale today.

So, Tyron Smith, No. 9 overall pick, take this here check for $12.5 million over the next five years. Yeah, C.J. Spiller did get $25 mill a year ago, but, you know, tough.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/editorial.cfm?id=3F8F86D7-938F-3F71-74CD0ADB48D455FC

leroyisgod
07-20-2011, 09:18 AM
Name the top 3 FA's we should sign and our top 3 we should sign.

TheFinisher
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
I've read conflicting reports on what our cap # will be depending on how we can restructure some deals, so I'm not 100% sure of our situation but anyway:

Re-Sign:
1. Doug Free/T (Must be done)
2. Stephen Bowen/DE (My favorite DE out of the 3, he's ready to become a starter and should be relatively cheap)
3. Kyle Kosier/G (As long as it's cap friendly, he's been a steady performer and with changes at 2 spots on the OL I'd like to keep the rest intact)

Sign:
1. Davin Joseph/G (Ideal replacement for Davis on the right side, huge upgrade to the run game)
2. Dawan Landry/SS (Tough, hardnosed player who can bring a little Raven mentality to our secondary)
3. Abram Elam/FS (Not a huge fan of his, but I just have a gut feeling his familiarity with Rob's D will make him an attractive option. If we have the money, I'd rather have Huff.)

Let Sensy walk, I read a report that he's "excited about cashing in"... well don't let the door hit you on the ass.

Davis should be cut, as should Colombo.

Also, if we have money leftover we should bring in another DE because we're lacking some depth there if Spears and Hatcher walk.

M.O.T.H.
07-20-2011, 10:46 AM
1. Doug Free
2. Stephen Bowen
3. Kyle Kosier

1. Michael Huff
2. Robert Gallery
3. Abram Elam

And I mean Huff or Elam...I would just place them in that order.

Obviously, we need to target S and G. But the money is a big question mark right now. Huff and Gallery are going to make bank. Elam may be a cheaper option, but someone may over spend for him as well, especially with so many teams having so much available cash. There should be cheaper options out there for us....other realistically available G/S targets, within a certain price range, could include...Chester Pitts, Daryn Colledge, Chris Chester, Reggie Wells, Evan Mathis, Mike Brisiel, Will Montgomery, John Greco, Sean Locklear, Trai Essex, Khalif Barnes, Danieal Manning, Bernard Pollard, Atari Bigby, Charlie Peprah, Chinedum Ndukwe, Melvin Bullitt, Brodney Pool, and Reed Doughty. Among others, of which are even lesser names. haha.

If memory serves, Peprah is a Fort Worth boy. Wouldnt be shocked to see him land in Dallas, if GB lets him go.

It all depends on the money. Even Sensabaugh is expecting to land a huge deal this off-season, as the Finisher said.

edit...I totally did not know that Peprah signed a contract extension. :(

M.O.T.H.
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Re-signing Jospeh is the Bucs number one priority. He's not going to be available. We more than likely couldnt afford him anyway. But again, he wants a massive contract, the Bucs want him back, and the Bucs have a **** ton of cap room. The most in the league, that is. No chance, my friend.

leroyisgod
07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Ours

Kosier
Free
Bowen

FA's

Carl Nicks
Dawan Landry
Michael Huff

LonghornsLegend
07-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Noticed this earlier, and while I Don't want to jump to conclusions, I think we need to be all over DeAndre McDaniel. Yes I get he was undrafted for a reason, but can anyone pick a team with a worse set of starting safeties signed to the roster? I don't think we should rely on him as a starter or anything, in fact he doesn't need to hinder the FA plans, but he's a no brainer pick-up IMO.

Clemson S DeAndre McDaniel is Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki's No. 2-rated undrafted free agent available for after the lockout.
McDaniel should be able to sign next week. A playmaking strong safety, McDaniel racked up 15 picks at Clemson but struggled in coverage. Boise State S Jeron Johnson is Nawrocki's top undrafted rookie. They are followed, in order, by Central Michigan LB Nick Bellore, Rutgers S Joe Lefeged, and Auburn WR Darvin Adams. Mark Herzlich and Dane Sanzenbacher are further down the list.

Anyone know anything about Jeron Johnson? I've just seen Mcdaniels play before, and know he has talent. No reason for us not to go hard after him.

LonghornsLegend
07-20-2011, 11:30 PM

Cap hell sucks.

Not only that, but teams that are already playoff caliber teams, like the Saints and Eagles both, have 25+ million dollars worth of cap room to work with. Well, the Saints free up 12 by cutting Bush but still. Just lets you know where we really stand. We have no chance at winning a SB this year unless Romo gets on a tear like Rodgers last year.

Our defense just isn't that good, and the interior of the line still needs work.

leroyisgod
07-21-2011, 08:39 AM

Cap hell sucks.

How certain are you of where were at cap wise? This always seems to be the great unknown. I anticipate a lot of cuts by us to help free up space. Davis, Newman, Barber and Williams.

M.O.T.H.
07-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Cutting Williams is actually a substansial cap hit. For a team that is probably going to have more cap issues in the foreseeable future, that's too much dead money. Even though, I'd love to show him the door. It could happen, but I dont think it will. And Newman probably isnt going anywhere, given our cash situation and lack of a replacement.

We're over, and over by a lot. We account for the highest paid team in the league. But we're certainly going to get under enough to re-sign our own guys, via cuts and the restructuring of contracts.They'd certainly at least like to keep Free, Bowen, and Kosier. Free and Bowen probably wont come cheap, though. Obviously Free wont...he's looking at a HUGE pay day. And good luck if he hits the open market with all that money out there. We're going to have to offer something pretty lucrative for him, and right away. I'm not worried about losing him at all, it's just going to cost a lot. After that, we may be left in a bad place to sign other free agents. It may not be so bad, if Free's base salary is rather low with bonus' and such, because otherwise he's going to be eating up a huge portion of our available funds. It's not impossible, but Dallas is going to have to get really creative to find the funds to compete for the better FAs. Obviously we have no chance at Aso or anything like that. But maybe we can work some magic and still find a way to land one of the better S out there, at least. Ideally Huff or Elam. I say those two, because Weddle is a high priority for San Diego. Landry could be had as well, but he's actually pretty damn overrated and will command a big contract as well. Huff is going to get payed out the ass too, though. We could be in for a rough FA period, honestly. But on the flip side, Dallas has found ways to make things work in FA before.

edit...S really is scary right now when you really look at it. Sensy's probably gone, he's nothing more than average to above average anyway, but better than anything else we have. Our current safeties are Barry Church, Danny Mccray, and AOA. We're kind of up ****'s creek. I hope AOA pans out, but the guy isnt ready to start and the other two are ST players. We have no starting caliber safety on the roster right now. lol. Freaking scary.

leroyisgod
07-21-2011, 02:11 PM
The name Bradie James was thrown out there too as a possible cap casualty. I don't see it personally, but you never know.

TheFinisher
07-21-2011, 02:36 PM
The name Bradie James was thrown out there too as a possible cap casualty. I don't see it personally, but you never know.

Bradie would be way down on my list of guys to cut, he's one of the few steady performers on defense and is a leader in the locker room. If we cut him we're adding a major hole in the middle of our defense, and with the unit we currently have we really can't afford that.

He's got 1 more year on his deal with Lee and Carter waiting in the wings, let him finish it out and we can make a decision on him next off-season when the young guys are a little more seasoned.

FreshBoy!
07-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Calm down guys.....this is why all the speculation is for naught. CBA's not done..details aren't out. Here's a rumor that bodes very well for our boys in free agency.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/7/21/2287170/jerry-jones-rule-included-in-cba-rumors-about-soft-cap-surfacing

Dan Graziano from ESPN's NFC East blog is one of many sources to pick up rumors that a soft cap may be in the works in the CBA:

Multiple reports have surfaced today that the new deal will protect veteran players from being "cap casualties" the way they have been in past years -- that there will be some procedure in place that allows for a "soft" cap, at least in the early years of the deal, and allows teams to keep veterans who might otherwise have to be cut to help the team get under the cap.

This of course could potentially be good news for teams that are currently projected to be over the cap - and have the financial wherewithal to make use of such a provision. It also reveals an interesting twist in the still unresolved revenue sharing dilemma between the big market and small market teams: the hard (and increased) salary floor is forcing the conservative spenders to up the ante, while the big boys get a little more breathing room from the constrictions of a rigid salary cap.

Graziano was quick to dub this the "Jerry Jones Rule", and I believe he's not far off the mark. Two years ago, Jerry Jones was fined at least $100,000 by the league for violating a gag order on labor issues during a visit to Minneapolis in support of the Viking's quest for a new stadium when he said that revenue sharing is "on its way out."

Lance Zierlein of The Houston Chronicle reported earlier today that the salary cap in the new CBA may look very different from what it looked like in the previous CBA.

Ive learned from people close to the negotiations that we may not see the massive cap casualties that weve expected. In fact, there may not be any penalties for teams who are over the $120 million dollar threshold. What that would allow teams to do is hang onto veterans, if they so choose, without penalty. What was less clear to me was whether or not well actually even see a salary cap. It is my understanding that for the first few years of this deal, the "cap" on spending could be soft or even non-existant [sic].

Details of what all of this means are still murky, but if the high priced veterans like Marion Barber, Terence Newman, Leonard Davis and perhaps even Roy Williams won't count against the cap, not only would they be unlikely to be released immediately, it also opens up all sorts of possibilities for re-signing our own free agents and acquiring a free agent or two from outside. Or three or four.

LonghornsLegend
07-21-2011, 08:39 PM
We have a bunch of guys I want to cut, but just isn't the year for them all. Roy & Newman I both want off this team this year, their more liabilities then anything. But Roy is too big a cap hit, and look at our CB's without Newman.

As bad as he is, we can't go into the season with a secondary with 0 safeties, literally ZERO, then to boot we'd have Jenkins, Scandrick, and Alan Ball at CB. Lol. That's a laughable secondary. You guys know the Lions have a better secondary then that right now?

We'll have enough to re-sign Bowen, Free, and bring in either Huff or Landry. After that, it's pushing it.

leroyisgod
07-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I heard on NFL Network that Leonard Davis was told he was gonna be cut Thursday. No surprise here.

thule
07-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Say hello to Barber/Newman/Roy/Davis/Columbo

Also Romo and Miles and someone else has clauses to turn their bonus's into cap over the life of their contract I believe. That should be close to 10m off the books for 2011 right away. Money isn't going to be a big issue for us. We knew this was coming I expect we'll have a plan in place when the number is set.

yes I just quoted myself. 4/5 ain't bad

Sources confirm that receiver Roy Williams, running back Marion Barber, guard Leonard Davis and kicker Kris Brown have all been informed that they won't be invited to training camp. The club initially included tackle Marc Colombo in this group, but as of Tuesday afternoon his status had not been resolved.
The Cowboys are expected to create another $17.5 million by restructuring the contracts of Tony Romo, DeMarcus Ware and Miles Austin later in the week. Together, these reductions will give the club the operating room it needs to sign its own free agents _ Doug Free tops the list _ fill out its roster and be active in the free agent market.
dmn blog

LonghornsLegend
01-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Didn't see a new FA thread, but it looks like Casey Hampton won't be returning to Pittsburgh next year. He's due 8 million next year, is coming off a torn ACL, and 35, he's a goner. Maybe a quick fix for us? Kris Jenkins still had a ton left in the tank for the Jets in his mid 30's and I saw Casey play earlier this year, he's still a beast.

I don't think you can have him dominate the snap count all game. but with him rotating with Brent-Price, as well as Ratliff in the DE rotation full time, I like that depth alot more. Hampton at least strengthens the run game by a good portion.

I think the ACL injury just makes him cheaper. I don't want to break the bank, not at all, but he adds some beef up front for us which we could use.

chrlopez1
01-16-2012, 12:38 AM
Casey would just block the path of a younger player...we need to think next year and beyond.

chrlopez1
01-16-2012, 01:16 AM
Let say we would pick up Nicks in FA what would u do with our 1st round pick?

Trogdor
01-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Someone make a new thread this one is for last year :P

leroyisgod
01-16-2012, 08:50 AM

CB if not another G.

thule
01-17-2012, 03:19 PM

You'd think corner...but depending on value we could still go with DeCastro haha...

LonghornsLegend
12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I guess we can just change the name of the thread to 2013. Two guys that crossed my mind lately were Casey Hampton and Richard Seymour.

Both will hit FA, both want to play a few more seasons. Seymour was playing great before he got injured, Hampton is still healthy and isn't playing like the old Hampton but on running downs he's still a massive upgrade to fill the lanes.

Signing 1 of those guys up front shouldn't be too much on a 1 or 2 year deal. Guess it depends what we do with Ratliff, or how some of our other DE's develop. But in looking at cheap options, I'm all for guys like them. We have a window of maybe 3 years to try and make a legit SB run before Romo regresses so I'm all in on guys like Ed Reed and Seymour.

More then likely those guys get injured, and you can't go out and sign a bunch of old guys, but if you told me we could get Ed Reed and Seymour for 2013 at cost effective deals, no way we don't improve with those two. Just some options though.