PDA

View Full Version : With the 20th pick in the 2009 NFL draft, The Detroit Lions select...

LOltheLions?
10-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Clay Matthews LB, USC

We would be 2-2 right now. Guaranteed.

edit obviously i mean 2009 draft.. WHY IN THE HELL DID WE TAKE "STONEHANDS" PETTIGREW??

georgiafan
10-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Because you just drafted your franchise QB and you needed to surrond him with talent on offense.

Babylon
10-04-2010, 01:30 PM
I think the question should be why they didnt take Michael Oher. The way it should have went down is Oher would go to the Lions, then the Patriots wouldnt have been lured by the Ravens to trade their pick and they would've/should've taken Matthews.

Scotty D
10-04-2010, 02:31 PM
How many sacks did Jared Allen have? Clay Matthews had 1 and the pocket broke down. Peppers sacked Stafford once and he got injured. I'm telling you that injuries are becoming a huge concern with Stafford. No offense to BeerBaron but I saw him post time after time about us not taking Oher so it was nice to see Cutler get sacked nine times last night. I'll take Jeff Backus over the **** they are throwing out there.

Prowler
10-04-2010, 02:40 PM
oher was potentially ********(mentally challenged) and a much better run blocker than pass blocker. we took an elite blocking tight end because we were relying on michael gaines.

personally, i would have went with alex mack, rey maualuga, or vontae davis back then.

Crickett
10-04-2010, 02:58 PM
oher was potentially ********(mentally challenged) and a much better run blocker than pass blocker. we took an elite blocking tight end because we were relying on michael gaines.

personally, i would have went with alex mack, rey maualuga, or vontae davis back then.

Michael Oher was projected to go in the early to mid first round draft pick. He would have been a steal at a position of need, replacing someone who has been one of the worst left tackles in the NFL fairly consistently for the past decade.

Giantsfan1080
10-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Isn't this the wrong day to make this thread after Pettigrew had a big game yesterday?

Scotty D
10-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Isn't this the wrong day to make this thread after Pettigrew had a big game yesterday?

Box score is deceiving. He had a couple of awful drops. But yeah he is having a good start to the year, Scheffler and Pettigrew have 420 yards receiving.

Giantsfan1080
10-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Well it still has to be a promising sign for the future even with the drops.

Scotty D
10-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Well it still has to be a promising sign for the future even with the drops.

Agreed. They could have picked a bust that doesn't contribute.

PackerLegend
10-04-2010, 04:23 PM
The Lions could and probably should be atleast 2-2 right now anyways.

Prowler
10-04-2010, 04:41 PM
it was also the first draft of the regime change and linehan uses TEs and we had absolutely nothing at the position. our big board had Pettigrew over Oher and we stuck to the board.

noondog
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Pettigrew is currently on pace for 88 rec and 1,000 yds. I'll take that despite the drops. He's improving steadily and will be an integral part of this offense for years to come.

SINCE1978
10-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Because you just drafted your franchise QB and you needed to surrond him with talent on offense.

Millen also had that game plan with Joey Harrington (Williams, Rogers, Williams) ALL busts, ultimately leading to the 0-16 season ie ... rock bottom.

Bottom line, our defense is void of 4 NFL caliber starters with Landon Johnson, Zack Follett (love him though), CC Brown & Jonathan Wade. All quality depth guys but suspect as starters imo. That's not on BP or that pick, just saying another weapon could have been equally or greater utilized on the defensive side of the ball ... FOR Stafford.

Speaking of past drafts, Detroit seemed to hit a home run with rd 1 Suh/Best this past draft. That is a nice pull, BUT they have gotten zero production from rounds 3,4,5,6,7 from this draft. Spievey, Fox & Young are not even seeing the field. That is understated & a bit alarming. Luxury "back-up" picks on a 2-4 win team is not an option for middle round draft picks. They needed to hit on the mid rounders & as of now the jury is still out on the above mentioned players. When is 2010's Sammie Hill or Deandre Levy going to rise up? Doubtful.

LOltheLions?
10-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Millen also had that game plan with Joey Harrington (Williams, Rogers, Williams) ALL busts, ultimately leading to the 0-16 season ie ... rock bottom.

Bottom line, our defense is void of 4 NFL caliber starters with Landon Johnson, Zack Follett (love him though), CC Brown & Jonathan Wade. All quality depth guys but suspect as starters imo. That's not on BP or that pick, just saying another weapon could have been equally or greater utilized on the defensive side of the ball ... FOR Stafford.

Speaking of past drafts, Detroit seemed to hit a home run with rd 1 Suh/Best this past draft. That is a nice pull, BUT they have gotten zero production from rounds 3,4,5,6,7 from this draft. Spievey, Fox & Young are not even seeing the field. That is understated & a bit alarming. Luxury "back-up" picks on a 2-4 win team is not an option for middle round draft picks. They needed to hit on the mid rounders & as of now the jury is still out on the above mentioned players. When is 2010's Sammie Hill or Deandre Levy going to rise up? Doubtful.

Sammie Hill has been great so far when Williams needs a rest. Hes a solid back up which is what you look for in a 4th round pick. Derrick Williams in the 3rd round was a waste, Pettigrew in the 1st was a waste, Fox is a project, Spievey is playing OK on special teams but we should have went over a true corner and not some slow Saftey hybrid. Suh and Best are excellent obviously but yeah im not feeling this 2010 draft at all besides them two. Although we did get Rob Sims and Corey Williams with our 2 5th round picks so its not that bad. But Spievey better be starting SS next year and Fox better be our new RT next year. If not this was just more bad drafting. And suddenly the optimism is slowly disappearing.

Addict
10-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Pettigrew caught a few balls last game. He's only in his second year, give the guy a chance ffs.

boknows34
10-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Pettigrew was not a waste of a pick, just the wrong pick. At the very least he should and looks like being a solid contributor.

Derrick Williams on the otherhand!!!!!???.. especially with Mike Wallace and Austin Collie available. Louis Murphy would also have made a very nice #2 WR and saved them the money they spent on Nate Burleson to upgrade the roster elsewhere.

LOltheLions?
10-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Im kind of eating my words now. Pettigrew looked great,,,again today. The guy does have drops here and there but he bails out our QBs so much and he is a huge weapon in the passing game. Im coming around on the guy in other words.

Scotty D
10-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Im kind of eating my words now. Pettigrew looked great,,,again today. The guy does have drops here and there but he bails out our QBs so much and he is a huge weapon in the passing game. Im coming around on the guy in other words.

26 catches 275 yards 1 TD, 11 first downs.

#7 TE in yards

Scheffler is #15 in yards

Crickett
10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Pettigrew was not a waste of a pick, just the wrong pick. At the very least he should and looks like being a solid contributor.

QFT

Derrick Williams on the otherhand!!!!!???.. especially with Mike Wallace and Austin Collie available. Louis Murphy would also have made a very nice #2 WR and saved them the money they spent on Nate Burleson to upgrade the roster elsewhere.

You're forgetting how overrated Williams was coming out of Penn State and how underrated Mike Wallace was.

SINCE1978
10-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah Brandon Pettigrew is not being knocked by me, it was more the draft pick strategy the Lions went with where he so happened to be selected. I mean when healthy he has been our #2 option next to Best ... he leads the NFC in receptions for a TE. There were GIANT holes on an awful oline & defense were the best player on the board scenario could have been utilized on a position other than a TE. It is moving to a TE happy league, every team has one ace & almost certainly 2 that see balls. So it's a wait & see for me. My point is full of contradictions ... I know. lol ;o)

That said about strategy & BPA ... Fox was sort of a weird pick too. I thought with a high #4 pick you could get a player who plays NOW. That pick could pay off down the road but Patriots, Colts, Raven make picks where they can develop players ... Detroit should ditch that strategy.

LOltheLions?
10-12-2010, 12:06 AM
Yeah Brandon Pettigrew is not being knocked by me, it was more the draft pick strategy the Lions went with where he so happened to be selected. I mean when healthy he has been our #2 option next to Best ... he leads the NFC in receptions for a TE. There were GIANT holes on an awful oline & defense were the best player on the board scenario could have been utilized on a position other than a TE. It is moving to a TE happy league, every team has one ace & almost certainly 2 that see balls. So it's a wait & see for me. My point is full of contradictions ... I know. lol ;o)

That said about strategy & BPA ... Fox was sort of a weird pick too. I thought with a high #4 pick you could get a player who plays NOW. That pick could pay off down the road but Patriots, Colts, Raven make picks where they can develop players ... Detroit should ditch that strategy.

I think they're waiting for Backus' contract to be up. He's got what, 3 years left? They're probably thinking thats just enough time for Fox to be made into a solid LT. Hopefully

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-12-2010, 09:35 AM

It wasn't a high 4th it was a late 4th after the Best trade for Jason Fox. I think they see Fox more as a Right Tackle since he is the backup Right Tackle now and Hilliard is the backup LT. Backus has playing good with the exception of the one big mistake with Peppers on Stafford. Backus has this year and 2011 left on his contract. Backus will actually be a a few million cheaper next year due to his signing bonus allocation being way less next year. We'll see how the draft goes and sets up when we pick but I wouldn't be suprised if we don't draft a future LT until 2012 if a good corner or LB is sitting there in Rounds 1 and 2. Of course this is pending Backus continuing to play well the rest of 2010.