PDA

View Full Version : Is Christian Ponder a 1st Rounder?

shylo3716
10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
When Luck, Locker, & Mallett are taken off the board, will there be a chance that Ponder goes in the 1st round also?

IMO Ponder is a 1st round talent by far, a very mobile QB. A lot of people have been counting him out, because of the Oklahoma game performance.

Babylon
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
I'd probably want to roll the dice on a Pat Devlin or a Cam Newton late in the 1st rather than Ponder, who i think has average tools for the next level.

Scott Wright
10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Ponder isn't a never was a first rounder in my opinion.

Solid 2nd or 3rd though.

Razor
10-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Solid 2nd or 3rd though.

Why is that? It seems that he has all the intangibles needed to succeed in the NFL. His physical ability is underrated imo, although he does not have a cannon for an arm. But he still has what it takes imo.

Shane P. Hallam
10-05-2010, 04:23 PM
There is a chance, sure, but he isn't a first round talent right now. I like him and think he could be a steal in the 2nd, but the inconsistencies, the injury issues, and the fact that I still don't trust his decision making ability make me think he winds up in the early 2nd. If there is a QB needy team in the late first, he could pop up, but it seems doubtful to me.

descendency
10-05-2010, 04:34 PM
His decision making is inconsistent and he has too little zip on his passes. Every pass looks like a touch pass to me.

He should be a great starter for a certain scheme like a WCO.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-05-2010, 04:42 PM
i really dont like him in the pros

the one thing he has is that he's smart and committed, which is big, but if you watch him on the field he doesn't seem as smart. intelligence != football smarts. he can ask his teammate myron rolle about that, who always looked slow (both physically and mentally) to me on the field

his athleticism is highly underrated but unfortunately for him that doesnt really matter in the NFL. i'm guessing he'll run like a 4.65 and people will get excited, but he's not ever going to scramble for more than 20 yards in an nfl game

i just dont see him being an impact player. a good back up or a really bad starter like a trent edwards? maybe

D-Unit
10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
I'd probably want to roll the dice on a Pat Devlin or a Cam Newton late in the 1st rather than Ponder, who i think has average tools for the next level.
Pat Devlinzzzzz FTW!!!! I'm tellin' ya... there will be more than just a few believers as the draft approaches.

Mr.Regular
10-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Christian Ponder does have the tools. His arm isn't out of this world insane, but it's strong. Just check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc
If that doesn't scream NFL arm, I don't know what does.

That being said, this year he hasn't overly wowed me. He doesn't make that many big plays on his own. I'd be concerned that without a good supporting cast he could turn into someone who is way too conservative, because I don't see the playmaking ability.
With good coaching, a good cast around him, and maybe some time on the bench, he could be really good though. He's sneaky athletic, very smart, and he has the reported intangibles to want in a signal caller.

TheMorningZoo
10-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I think that he has a good shot to go in the first round, but shouldn't be a first round lock. Several teams like the Vikings for example could pick him in the late first (warranted if they are selecting in that spot), but like most said he is a surefire 2nd in most people's eyes.

Lots of hype from last year and while he is still solid I don't think he is a franchise QB like a Luck or Locker. I think he has the potential to be like a Chad Henne or Clausen-potential signal caller who can take over, but isn't heralded the savior.

PrimetimeTheDon
10-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Solid 2nd or 3rd though.

Wasn't ever? Just busting balls. I agree, when I heard the hype last year that he was a first round caliber player I was like - what? the QB from FSU? Am I thinking of the same guy they are talking about?

He does have a nice arm though. NFL Caliber. *edit* it seems someone even posted a video of it.*

I'd rate him as a project in the 4th round.

ElectricEye
10-05-2010, 08:48 PM
He's going to be everyones "Don't take Locker/Mallet/Luck in the first, do X and draft Ponder in round X" guy this year.

RealityCheck
10-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Ponder won't be hearing his name in the first three rounds.

He may be a good prospect, but he does have some questions, and not many teams need a QB and those who need will get them in the free agency or take Locker, Luck, Mallett and Johnson.

TheMorningZoo
10-05-2010, 08:59 PM
He's going to be everyones "Don't take Locker/Mallet/Luck in the first, do X and draft Ponder in round X" guy this year.

Wouldn't be suprised to see lots of these posts come postseason haha

Babylon
10-05-2010, 09:06 PM

And lately those guys havent set the world on fire.

A Perfect Score
10-05-2010, 09:16 PM
I've been a strong supporter of his throughout the offseason, but he has looked a little rough at times this season. I think if Luck stays in school he has a better shot to go in the first, but I would think its almost a guarantee that Locker, Luck and Mallet all go before him. Ponder could most definitely be a steal for someone in the second though, as he does evoke memories of Aaron Rodgers at times.

Brent
10-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I think he sneaks into the first because of value on the position, but I'm a huge supporter.

BuddyCHRIST
10-05-2010, 10:30 PM
He actually hasn't played as well this year and has disappointed me a bit. But FSU's WR's are very inconsistent as we lost 3 top guys from last year. He has the arm strength, but doesn't always use it. He will float his downfield balls too often.

His injury and consistency issues will keep him out of the first unless he starts tearing it up the rest of the year.

I see him as a 2nd round value, though where he gets drafted will depend on team needs. Physically he is a more athletic Tony Romo, he really is a great athlete, has the fastest shuttle time on the team. His legs have been probably his biggest asset throughout his career, he knows when to go and it can really extend drives.

descendency
10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
take Locker, Luck, Mallett and Johnson.
Jerrod Johnson is trash. I don't know how much longer it will take this site to realize it. He has no future in the NFL at QB.

His decision making is bad. His athleticism is WAY over-rated. The ball he throws is bad. He's a mid to late round prospect who will get drafted as a project QB.

binary
10-06-2010, 03:32 AM
Jerrod Johnson is trash. I don't know how much longer it will take this site to realize it. He has no future in the NFL at QB.

His decision making is bad. His athleticism is WAY over-rated. The ball he throws is bad. He's a mid to late round prospect who will get drafted as a project QB.

Thank you. I'd take Ponder over Johnson easily.

ElectricEye
10-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Ponder isn't going to need anywhere near the mechanical overhaul Johnson is. I like Johnson, but his game isn't at the level it needs to be to be drafted in the first couple rounds.

marshallb
10-06-2010, 10:46 AM
I think he sneaks into the first because of value on the position, but I'm a huge supporter.

Yup. I'm a huge fan of Ponder's, and think he'll be a very good QB in the NFL, he will need a good supporting cast around him though. I'd love to see the Vikings take him in the late first(if they are picking there). He'd be a perfect fit in Minnesota, WCO, great RB, talented WRs(if they re-sign Rice and/or Moss), very good TE as a safety valve, and a great defense that won't force him to put up huge scores. I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers and a more athletic Romo as has already been mentioned.

He hasn't played all that well so far this season, but people seem to be overrating how poorly he's done based on the Oklahoma game, which is one game, yet everyone's willing to give Locker a pass on the Nebraska game.

katnip
10-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Yup. I'm a huge fan of Ponder's, and think he'll be a very good QB in the NFL, he will need a good supporting cast around him though. I'd love to see the Vikings take him in the late first(if they are picking there). He'd be a perfect fit in Minnesota, WCO, great RB, talented WRs(if they re-sign Rice and/or Moss), very good TE as a safety valve, and a great defense that won't force him to put up huge scores. I see a lot of Aaron Rodgers and a more athletic Romo as has already been mentioned.

He hasn't played all that well so far this season, but people seem to be overrating how poorly he's done based on the Oklahoma game, which is one game, yet everyone's willing to give Locker a pass on the Nebraska game.

I agree with 'good' and supporting cast. And I doubt he goes first round. Then again there seems to be a shortage of quality NFL QB's to me. At least for every 32 teams. I'm just thinking Clausen, the pro-style qb went second round.. Then again, different draft, different needs.

Brent
10-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Matt Hasselbeck-type ceiling?

ElectricEye
10-06-2010, 11:10 PM

I think that's a really good comparison for him. He's a bit more athletic, but yeah, in an ideal world that what he turns into.

descendency
10-06-2010, 11:25 PM

I wouldn't put a 'ceiling' on a player who hasn't played a down in the NFL. Who had Drew Brees or Tom Brady as one of the top QBs in the NFL? Aaron Rodgers? Tony Romo?

You just never know how a few million dollars will change a guy or how falling into the 6th round will put a chip on someone's shoulder to drive them to be better.

I see all of the tools to be an elite WCO QB.

Brown Leader
10-07-2010, 02:32 AM
I wouldn't put a 'ceiling' on a player who hasn't played a down in the NFL. Who had Drew Brees or Tom Brady as one of the top QBs in the NFL? Aaron Rodgers? Tony Romo?

You just never know how a few million dollars will change a guy or how falling into the 6th round will put a chip on someone's shoulder to drive them to be better.

I.e. Jerrod Johnson?

Hasselbeck as comparison? I'd say Ponder's more elusive but weaker armed. I think he has the best elusiveness in the pocket of the top prospects-Locker, Mallett(of course), Luck.

Big Bird
10-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Christian Ponder is Brian Brohm 2.0

I learned my mistake the first time around...

superman
10-07-2010, 03:20 PM
he's smart, which is most important these days.

vikings would be a great idea, if they keep rice or moss after this season.

yourfavestoner
10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I've been saying it all along: Romo is his best comparison in terms of physical attributes and playing style.

LizardState
10-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Yes he is a 1st rounder. NFL quality QBs are always 1st rd. material.

As to whether he actually is an NFL quality QB & going in the 1st rd. are not necessarily related events. Some team will fall in love with him after the all star games & the Combine & he will become the Next Sanchez.

He could be a less expensive alternative to Locker or Mallett for a team that doesnt have the juice to trade up for an early 1st rd. QB, Minnesota would be a good place b/c they might be in that category & look to finish among the playoff teams this season. And they also might be fed up with Favre's annual teaser retirement BS, or just plain fed up with him -- consider also that Favre could set a career INT rcd. that could stand for all time.

yourfavestoner
10-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes he is a 1st rounder. NFL quality QBs are always 1st rd. material.

As to whether he actually is an NFL quality QB & going in the 1st rd. are not necessarily related events. Some team will fall in love with him after the all star games & the Combine & he will become the Next Sanchez.

He could be a less expensive alternative to Locker or Mallett for a team that doesnt have the juice to trade up for an early 1st rd. QB, Minnesota would be a good place b/c they might be in that category & look to finish among the playoff teams this season. And they also might be fed up with Favre's annual teaser retirement BS, or just plain fed up with him -- consider also that Favre could set a career INT rcd. that could stand for all time.

If Jacksonville is stuck in the middle of the first round and not the top five or ten, I'd be very happy with him.

SickwithIt1010
10-07-2010, 05:03 PM

I called Aaron Rodges being a top of the league guy, my boy who is a big time niners fan wanted Alex Smith and i always told him Rodgers would be the better pick. I thought he showed he was going to be guy while he was at CAL.

Back on subject, i think i could see Ponder sneaking in at the end of round 1 but i think its alot more realistic to see him go in the 2nd.

IndyColtScout
10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Christian Ponder is my favorite QB in the draft. I still think he has a way to go as an NFL passer, but though is arm strength is only slight above average every other physical tool you could want is there with Ponder (as well as most of the mental tools as well).

Depends on who declares but hes a borderline 1st but hes most likely gonna get picked mid to late 2nd depends on if a team/coach falls in love as well.

Thing I like most about Ponder is his calmness in the pocket as well as the ability to manipulate the pocket with his feet, reset, and make a play. A lot of younger QBs struggle with that.

Might not agree but he reminds me of Sanchez.

Brent
10-07-2010, 07:07 PM

I suppose I should be more descriptive: I could see him being a Matt Hasselbeck type player; a very solid QB for a very long time but never in that 'elite' tier.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
What Ponder is smashing
http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/girlfriend-christian-ponder.jpg

shylo3716
11-11-2010, 11:07 AM
What Ponder is smashing
http://www.bustedcoverage.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/girlfriend-christian-ponder.jpg

WHO IS SHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrdrylie
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
WHO IS SHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Her name is Kacie McDConnell. Here is a link about it.

http://www.oncampusdrama.com/pg/blog/DudleyDawson/read/18876/fsu-quaterback-christian-ponders-girlfriend-kacie-mcdonnell-from-villanova-university

SeanTaylorRIP
11-11-2010, 12:33 PM
I've been saying it all along: Romo is his best comparison in terms of physical attributes and playing style.

I don't see that kind of arm strength.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Ponder is a tough one to peg.

The scariest thing about him is you can definitely tell he doesn't trust his arm. I would not touch him in the first 3 rounds.

I think he's a clip board holder at the next level for that very reason.

BeerBaron
11-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Ponder is a tough one to peg.

The scariest thing about him is you can definitely tell he doesn't trust his arm. I would not touch him in the first 3 rounds.

I think he's a clip board holder at the next level for that very reason.

It seems like a lot of other people really like him for one reason or another, so I've been trying to watch him more before I write him off.

But I'm with you.....I just don't think he passes the proverbial "eye test." He looks small...not a be all-end all, but his size, his arm, the way he moves.....it just doesn't look like an NFL QB to me.

But I'm trying to see what a lot of other people do, so I keep giving him chances. I don't, however, think he'll be in the first round of anymore of my mocks, at least until the offseason if he impresses then.

BuddyCHRIST
11-11-2010, 03:22 PM
He'll rise in the offseason because he'll interview very well and look good in drills. He played well against UNC, but his inability to stay healthy is going to be a major question mark.

He's gotten injured in every season and the past two have been on his throwing arm, he recently reinjured his elbow (hurt against BC) and might miss this weeks game.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-11-2010, 07:54 PM
I still dont see what people like in this guy. He didn't quite pull a Cullen Harper like I predicted before the year but he wasnt great, either

He just seems like a career back up

DaBrowns41
11-14-2010, 12:28 AM
Honestly, I think even a 3rd round pick is generous for Ponder who, IMO, is one of the most overrated QB's in this draft class.

His decision making makes you scratch your head too many times, and he doesn't have the ability to really make plays on his own, or help make his players better.

He would need a great supporting cast around him in the NFL to be a reliable QB. His sideline accuracy isn't the greatest, and he tends to loft balls in the middle of the field.

I don't care for Ponder at all, and would rather have a guy like Nick Foles, T.J. Yates, Blaine Gabbert, or Andy Dalton.

Call me crazy, but I just don't see many positives in Ponder.

SRK85
11-15-2010, 09:35 PM
It all depends on what he does at the combine. He could be drafted late in the 1st round or fall out of the first 3 rounds. It is hard right now, to predict where he goes.

nofalcons10
02-16-2011, 08:18 AM
I don't know if he's a first rounder but i'd definitely start him over guys like newton, mallet, locker, and kaepernick as a rookie. He might go as high as a guy like Jason cambell or Tebow did in the late first round.

i agree with indyscout, Ponder is my top qb.

Caulibflower
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
I don't know if he's a first rounder but i'd definitely start him over guys like newton, mallet, locker, and kaepernick as a rookie. He might go as high as a guy like Jason cambell or Tebow did in the late first round.

i agree with indyscout, Ponder is my top qb.

...Matt Millen? Is that you?

DiG
02-16-2011, 08:35 AM
i dont think scouts question ponders skillset as much as they will question his injury concerns. were not talking about a single injury here. he has very serious durability issues. he suffered a Grade 3 separation of his (right) throwing shoulder in 2009 and underwent two elbow surgeries in 2010 which clearly effected his accuracy and strength. his mechanics are fine, good footwork, decent accuracy, and very smart but below average arm strength and his laundry list of serious injuries make him a poor mans chad pennington. he shouldnt go before the 3rd round, best case.

nofalcons10
02-16-2011, 08:39 AM
...Matt Millen? Is that you?

Who's a better rookie starter than ponder?

i dont think scouts question ponders skillset as much as they will question his injury concerns. were not talking about a single injury here. he has very serious durability issues. he suffered a Grade 3 separation of his (right) throwing shoulder in 2009 and underwent two elbow surgeries in 2010 which clearly effected his accuracy and strength. his mechanics are fine, good footwork, decent accuracy, and very smart but below average arm strength and his laundry list of serious injuries make him a poor mans chad pennington. he shouldnt go before the 3rd round, best case.
good point.

injuries are a valid concern but i don't think that his arm strength is as bad as some people think. I think that it was even addressed earlier in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc (ponder throws a 50 yard TD across his body).

he may not have the rothlesburger arm but i think that his strength is more than adequate.

bitonti
02-16-2011, 09:34 AM
he's gonna get picked over by the doctors at Indy. this injury history will keep him out of the first.

SenorGato
02-16-2011, 10:51 AM

+1...I like Ponder...the other 3 prospects are better and should be drafted higher but he's probably my favorite developmental QB prospect.

SolidGold
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc (ponder throws a 50 yard TD across his body).

That throw was ridiculous

rawdawg
02-16-2011, 11:03 AM
I have an almost irrational love for Christian Ponder. I can't even figure out why. But I think he's a solid (not great) NFL QB. I heard the Hasselbeck comparison, but also maybe like a David Garrard.

GoRavens
02-16-2011, 09:54 PM
is this thread serious? I still can't tell.
Ponder was terribly inconsistent his whole college career.
Do you really think any NFL team would waste a 1st/millions on an average player like Ponder?
To compare him to Hasselbeck is an insult to his Hasselbeck's whole family. Ponder is not nearly as accurate, nor the decision maker

SF Dolphin Fan
02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I see the big issue with him being durability. Can he hold up physically in the NFL?

BuckNaked
02-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Do you really think any NFL team would waste a 1st/millions on an average player like Ponder?
To compare him to Hasselbeck is an insult to his Hasselbeck's whole family. Ponder is not nearly as accurate, nor the decision maker

Elizabeth Hasselback?

BuddyCHRIST
02-18-2011, 01:49 AM
To compare him to Hasselbeck is an insult to his Hasselbeck's whole family. Ponder is not nearly as accurate, nor the decision makerC

Crazier things have happened, only takes one team and he should test pretty well. That said, he won't be a 1st rounder.

Day One Pick
02-18-2011, 05:35 AM
I really doubt Ponder goes in the first, but I do think he'll go high and higher than most think. I have a hunch the Bills will take him early in the 2nd round.

A Perfect Score
02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I really doubt Ponder goes in the first, but I do think he'll go high and higher than most think. I have a hunch the Bills will take him early in the 2nd round.

Assuming they don't take Newton in Round 1, I could definitely see this. I think another very likely landing place would be San Fran in the second, he seems like a perfect fit for what they're going to be doing down there and Harbaugh will want his own guy.

DcmRulz
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
What a difference a draft makes. Well, he's on the Vikings now, as was apparently predicted. i am doing all i can to comfort myself with him for 3+ years.

Marlinf
05-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Ponder went 33-40 for almost 400 yards and 3 TDs against a UNC defense that saw 8 of its 11 starters drafted this year. His "strong supporting cast" saw only one other player drafted this season (rodney hudson). There is no other quarterback I would rather have from this draft. Cam and Locker - can't throw. Dalton was never challenged in the MWC and I never saw Gabbert check down to his second receiver option...ever.

bruschis4all
05-02-2011, 05:38 PM
Ponder went 33-40 for almost 400 yards and 3 TDs against a UNC defense that saw 8 of its 11 starters drafted this year. His "strong supporting cast" saw only one other player drafted this season (rodney hudson). There is no other quarterback I would rather have from this draft. Cam and Locker - can't throw. Dalton was never challenged in the MWC and I never saw Gabbert check down to his second receiver option...ever.

You did pick his best game statistically. Do some of the stinkers against Wake Forest count?