PDA

View Full Version : James Brewer, OT, Indiana

JohnCandy
10-06-2010, 10:55 PM
A prospect that I have heard and seen gather steam lately has been OT James Brewer [Indiana]. One publication [Sporting News] has him in the 1st round of their mock draft.

I have seen only a limited amount of him, but at 6'8" 335lbs. with the feet that he has he is an intriguing prospect.

He looks like a guy like former team mate Roger Saffold that is going to be discovered during the All Star games and combine. They remind me of each other, big men with great feet.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ind/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/4955769.jpeg

What are your opinions of him?

Where does he get drafted?

HawkEye30
10-06-2010, 11:50 PM
lol she won't get drafted

Ozzy
10-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I saw him this week for the first time, clearly anyone that large will get a shot at being drafted. 1st round pick, no way, not from what I saw. He got blown by more than once by the defensive end, just went right around him and he totally missed the block. Sad thing is he kept standing there as if nothing happen rather than follow the pass rusher and try to protect the quarterback.

Sure will get a shot at being drafted by no way is he a 1st round talent, later round talent possibly.

Sad thing for him is that...

Gabe Carimi Wisconsin
Anthony Castonzo Boston College
Derek Sherrod Miss State
Matt Reynolds BYU
Lee Ziemba Auburn
Marcus Gilbert Florida
James Carpenter Alabama
Orlando Franklin Miami FL
Jason Pinkston Pitt
Perry Dorrestein Michigan
Bradley Sowell Ole Miss
Darius Morris Temple
DeMarcus Love Arkansas
Nick Claytor Georgia Tech
Marcus Cannon TCU
Chris Hairston Clemso
Clint Boling Georgia
Jarriel King South Carolina
Cudahy Harmon La Tech
Josh Davis Georgia

All of these guys are better than him I feel from what little I saw of him.

princefielder28
10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Brewer moved up to #11 in my OT rankings and I was tempted to move him even higher...this OT class doesn't have any stars and the collection of talent is there but it all depends on what traits a team is looking for...he's a mountain of a man and has good feet for someone his size and Indiana has done a nice job of keeping Chappell on his feet...they throw the ball a ton as of late and I want to get a better grasp of his run blocking before I love him up but the talent is there

Day One Pick
10-07-2010, 08:17 PM
I have him 246th overall.

D-Unit
10-07-2010, 08:52 PM
I have him 246th overall.
I'm pretty impressed that you have your rankings that precise.

Scott Wright
10-08-2010, 05:51 PM
I've been talking about Brewer since Day 1 and he's been the OT on my Underrated list the whole year. Round 1 is crazy talk though, unless he goes all Saffold in an All-Star game.

I think Brewer will be a nice pick for someone in Rounds 3-5.

D-Unit
10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I've been talking about Brewer since Day 1 and he's been the OT on my Underrated list the whole year. Round 1 is crazy talk though, unless he goes all Saffold in an All-Star game.

Does he have any limitations as far as his ability goes? Does he have short arms or poor technique? What keeps him from going higher at this point in his evaluation?

bored of education
10-08-2010, 07:26 PM
When Scott has Kelechi Osemele in a first round mock this year or next i will call him oout saying he is creeping my style. ;)

Grizzlegom
10-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I've been a big Brewer fan as well, I've got him in the late 2nd excluding underclassmen so I figure he'll probably end up in the 3rd-4th once they all declare and such.

BigBanger
10-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Does he have any limitations as far as his ability goes? Does he have short arms or poor technique? What keeps him from going higher at this point in his evaluation?
I don't know why you are asking this question. He is the 246th ranked player in the draft. Isn't that enough information?

JohnCandy
10-09-2010, 12:00 PM

With a weak OT class could Brewer not make a Saffold like move up?

Who are the poccible 1st round OTs at this point and how does Brewer compare?

Ozzy
10-12-2010, 10:51 PM
D-Unit Does he have any limitations as far as his ability goes? Does he have short arms or poor technique? What keeps him from going higher at this point in his evaluation?Ummm what little I saw of him, I would say the ability to act completely normal and block air when a defensive player goes right by you and you act like nothing happened. That is a little bit of a concern ;o)

Speed rushes could dominate him potentially, just because he is big aka (Terrance Pennington 2006 draft out of New Mexico), does not mean he is good. If he was 6-5 290 there would be nothing special about his game, all that is special about him is that he is a wide body big guy, good frame and can potentially push people around with his weight and has ok feet for his size. Again you take away the size factor, you do not go much, he is not some dominating run blocker, does not have great athletic ability etc...

Poz51
10-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Personally getting drafted seems like crazy talk, I have not seen alot of Brewer yet, but what I have seen is this IMO, he is slow, not athletic, reaches on blocks, gets decimated on the edge by speed rushers, lacks recognition skills, and for a man his size with his strength is not a good run blocker, he needs alot of work with his technique, and footwork. If I had an over rated list he would be on it with Joseph Barksdale neither of whom have the physical nature to make it in the league. However with the lack of depth in this class both will probably be drafted higher than their talent and true ability would warrant. Brewer reminds me of a bigger Adam Ulatowski especially with their lack of quick hands, and inability to recover. Personally I dont get the Brewer love at this point...

D-Unit
10-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Ummm what little I saw of him, I would say the ability to act completely normal and block air when a defensive player goes right by you and you act like nothing happened. That is a little bit of a concern ;o)

Speed rushes could dominate him potentially, just because he is big aka (Terrance Pennington 2006 draft out of New Mexico), does not mean he is good. If he was 6-5 290 there would be nothing special about his game, all that is special about him is that he is a wide body big guy, good frame and can potentially push people around with his weight and has ok feet for his size. Again you take away the size factor, you do not go much, he is not some dominating run blocker, does not have great athletic ability etc...
OSU vs Indiana was on TV this past weekend and I tried to find him on the field, but he didn't play. Apparently he's injured.