PDA

View Full Version : 2009 defense versus 2010 defense

descendency
10-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Which do you feel is better? (not long term, but right now)

I was thinking about this because we were top 5 in scoring defense last year. This year seems like we are giving up a lot of points and a lot of 3rd downs.

The only position I feel has really regresses (ironically) is CB. Leigh Bodden hurt and Butler/Arrington/Wilhite/Wheatley is just looking pathetic this year. McCourty is doing a decent job, but he's not as good as Bodden, yet.

The ILBs are better. The OLBs have no reason to be worse. The DL actually looks better at times. (Though Ty Warren being out hurts). The safeties are better.

Don Vito
10-08-2010, 12:33 AM
I give the edge to this years defense. We couldn't stop the pass at all last year it seemed like and had absolutely no pass rush. Losing Warren hurts the defense, but some of our DB's have been playing better and while our pass rush still needs help it is improved. Spikes is a good two down ILB next to Mayo and Guyton has the role that suits him best as a coverage LB. Gerard Warren has been playing well, I don't like Wilfork at end but he makes an impact wherever he lines up. Ninkovich had one big game, but all in all I think he is an upgrade over what we had last year opposite TBC. Cunningham has looked good too.

Nalej
10-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Definitely this year. As you stated, our line, ILBs and safeties are better. (S have just gotten better, imo)

nepg
10-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I don't think Cunningham is too far from being the regular starter from what we saw Monday. He looks legit.

goodlookin
10-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Cunnigham looks nice and I'm pumped about that. If we are retooling this defense, does Ty Warren become expenable and do we look to move him? Just throwing it out there.

Nalej
10-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I hope to God not. Prior and Wright are good spot players.
Brace is still learning, G. Warren isn't getting any younger.
The rest are good back ups, rational players. I think we need to keep Ty

FlyingElvis
10-20-2010, 02:36 PM
This year is better. The difference isn't huge, imo, but we're better. Last year's numbers where deceiving. Our D couldn't get off the field on 3rd down last year either.

Ty does not become expendable. We desparately need a DE to get Vince back to NT where he belongs, so no way we can give up our only legit DE.