PDA

View Full Version : Top 4-3 DTs of the '11 class?

killxswitch
10-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Who are they? I rely on you guys for my scouting and there is a serious need in Indy for a pocket collapsing Baby Sapp that can still play the run. I know last year was a monster year for rookie DTs and we missed out, how does this years' crop of DTs look from a 4-3 perspective? This can be NT or UT. There seems to be a lot of disagreement on who are the top guys from site to site and there's plenty of positive video out there for anybody.

StaticGator
10-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Sapp was drafted over 15 years ago now, and since then only one player (Kevin Williams) has been close to as good as him. The best you should be realistically be expecting, especially for where the Colts will be picking, is a Darnell Dockett caliber player.

Ozzy
10-08-2010, 09:19 AM
For what the Colts do I would say these players have pass rush potential in a 4/3 defense.

Stephen Paea Oregon State
Jurrell Casey USC
Nick Fairley Auburn JR
Ollie Ogbu Penn State
Christian Ballard Iowa
Marvin Austin UNC

Ballard is a very good bet for the Colts, he would fit what they do very nicely, Ogbu is not up to that level but could get the job done, so could Casey. Austin has character problems so doubt the Colts take a player like him.

If you want just consistent effort Paea could be a star in that respect.

Marcell Dareus and Allen Bailey are two players who could potentially be made into decent pass rush defensive tackles. Bailey would give consistent pressure and provide a lot of athletic ability from that defensive tackle spot.

But yeah, none of these guys are Warren Sapp type of defensive tackles.

etk
10-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Jurrell Casey for the Colts.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
10-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Jurrell Casey for the Colts.

How does he compare to Fili Moala, who has been fairly craptacular with the colts.

killxswitch
10-08-2010, 11:16 AM
How does he compare to Fili Moala, who has been fairly craptacular with the colts.

I think he has improved significantly this year. The other DTs on the team have regressed or aren't getting playing time (Antonio Johnson).

Still, Moala was not known as a great pass rusher at USC if I remember correctly.

I think my first choice next year would be Marcel Dareus but how late into round 1 will he be available? My impression is that this is a class with lots of good DE prospects but if Dareus is the top DT prospect he will go early.

StaticGator
10-08-2010, 12:03 PM

Full disclosure I've never even watched Casey play, but on the surface he has the more prototypical short, round body like Sapp (or Sedrick Ellis) than the more long, lean body like Moala.

thenewfeature06
10-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I like Fairley from the Burn as well as Crick. I think if Marvin got drafted to a team like Indy though he could showcase his skillset a little more.

TACKLE
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Nick Fairley and Stephen Paea. As previously mentioned, Marcel Dareus, Allen Bailey and even Cam Heyward could all be potential 3 techs as well. Bailey's athleticism might really intriguing on the Colts D-Line.

Don Vito
10-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Jerrell Powe. Most people see hims as a pure 3-4 NT, but he can play the 4-3 too.

Saints-Tigers
10-09-2010, 02:48 AM
Jerrell Powe isn't that type of pass rusher the Colts would target, though they'd be so much better with him.

I'd spooge if we nabbed Powe, dude is going to be an awesome NT in either scheme if you ask me, and Sedrick Ellis is already blossoming and becoming a dominant under tackle, and they would thrive.

I could see Powe being one of the better NTs in the league.

princefielder28
10-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Drake Nevis needs some love in this thread

Cedric Thornton is another name to look for...he might have a chance at end in a 3-4 too

Sniper
10-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Mike Martin, obviously,

ToldLikeItIs
10-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I think Ballard and Clayborn might have a shot for best player at their respective positions.

etk
10-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Full disclosure I've never even watched Casey play, but on the surface he has the more prototypical short, round body like Sapp (or Sedrick Ellis) than the more long, lean body like Moala.

Exactly. Sapp, Ellis, Brian Price, etc. Casey is quick, agile and uses his hands well to shed blockers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFNtXzoGAY

That's a Colts DT if I've ever seen one.

Micanor Regis is another guy who would fit but I don't see him leaving early.

LonghornsLegend
10-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Colts are probably gonna draft a TE in round 1 next year or something. I don't think they are interested in offensive lineman or DT's honestly.

herkyhawkeye
10-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Ballard would be a great fit for the Colts.

Iowa plays a very similar defense to the Colts and Iowa players fit in very well in their organization. He is good against the run and would be a rush threat even on the inside. Hes a very athletic dlinemen and his versatility at being able to play both DE and DT will be big for his draft position. He would be around later in the first round when the colts generally pick.

nepg
10-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Sapp was drafted over 15 years ago now, and since then only one player (Kevin Williams) has been close to as good as him. The best you should be realistically be expecting, especially for where the Colts will be picking, is a Darnell Dockett caliber player.

Healthy Tommie Harris was just as good.