PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Tier CBs

Rosebud
10-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Who's you guys' favorite 2nd tier CB? This class is starting to remind me of the 2008 draft, where there were good starting corners throughout the draft the early rounds, Leodis McKelvin, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Aqib Talib, Mike Jenkins, Antonio Cason, Brandon Flowers, Tracy Porter and Terrell Thomas. I'm I being overly optimistic or does anyone else think this CB class is stupidly deep if most of the guys come out.

draftguru151
10-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Jimmy Smith looked great against UGA. First I've seen of him but if he continues to play like that he won't be far behind Peterson/Amukamara. Fantastic size.

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 07:59 PM
My current top 4 are PP, Amukamara, Aaron Williams and Ras-I Dowling. I think they'll all be first rounders at the end of the day.

But you are right, there is a nice cluster of guys after them who will probably be picked in the 2nd/3rd round range and could become quality starters in the pros.

V.I.P
10-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Brandon Harris FTW.

RealityCheck
10-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Kendric Burney and Charles Brown.

Mr.Regular
10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Peterson and Amukamara are top 10 talents. I also love Brandon Harris and Ras-I Dowling.

Aaron Williams is intriguing but he isn't at those other guys levels IMO. Jimmy Smith is someone I need to check out more of, because I haven't seen much.

brat316
10-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Ehhh not so sold on Ras-I Dowling.

But the Prince and Double P for sure top 10 picks...one of them not both, with the number of WR this year.

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 09:01 PM
But the Prince and Double P for sure top 10 picks...one of them not both, with the number of WR this year.

PP will be gone by pick #5 whether there's a new CBA or not. His potential doesn't have a ceiling with how big and fast he is....not sure there's ever been another corner with his blend of attributes.

Prince could sneak into the tail end of the top 10 perhaps....I think he'll more than likely be an 11-19 pick.

dannyz
10-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Jenkins from Florida is good and a Second Round Value.

iBoldin
10-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Jimmy Smith is all things awesome. Great size, moves with great fluidity and actually has great hips for a 6'3"/6'4" corner.

Was outstanding against Jawja. I peg him as a solid second round value.

BeerBaron
10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Jimmy Smith is all things awesome. Great size, moves with great fluidity and actually has great hips for a 6'3"/6'4" corner.

Was outstanding against Jawja. I peg him as a solid second round value.

I haven't watched him play but he sounds a bit like Sean Smith a few years back.

draftguru151
10-08-2010, 09:34 PM
He's definitely not 6-3/6-4, much better corner than Smith. Really fluid and real solid build.

katnip
10-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Brandon Harris FTW.

This.. What is the thought on him. I'll get to see him for a full game first time this year tomorrow. But when I did get to see him last year. I saw flashes of brilliance.

Just wondering what this forums thought is on him.

Texas Homer
10-08-2010, 10:40 PM
I think that both Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown from Texas could go the 2nd-3rd range.

Yes, I think that this could be a deep year at CB .

Morton
10-09-2010, 12:25 AM
I think Prince Amukamara is an even better prospect than Patrick Peterson. Peterson has elite physical tools but Amukamara is nearly as athletic and strong but also shows amazing football IQ and plays with a nasty streak. Could be a game-changing cornerback at the next level against both the run and the pass.

Could be one of the best CB crops in a long time with some serious stars emerging from this class.

descendency
10-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Jimmy Smith looked great against UGA. First I've seen of him but if he continues to play like that he won't be far behind Peterson/Amukamara. Fantastic size.

I haven't seen that game of him, but I saw his stuff last year and he looked weak. He looked like a cover corner only. He didn't look like he could blitz or stop the run. He got dragged all over the field.

To put it bluntly, he looked like a boy among men.

BigBanger
10-09-2010, 01:14 AM
When Jimmy Smith is in press coverage, his technique, his patience, his jam and his arm length look staggeringly similar to Nnamdi Asomugha. I can't believe I'm saying that, but I have made multiple posts saying he is the most underrated CB in this upcoming draft. I have yet to see him this year and I really wanted to see that Georgia game and his matchup with AJ Green. I think Jimmy Smith is a mid first rounder (basically going into the year), but I haven't heard anyone say anything about him and I haven't seen him this year. Consistency and mental miscues have been issues with him. His potential is through the roof.

Prince Amukamara is in a class of his own though. That kid is some kind of special. This CB class could be gaudy. The elite level talent could be better than '08 and the depth similar. Brandon Harris is a great man coverage guy, but I haven't seen any ball skills to speak of. He's a complete player and plays the run well, but his pure man coverage abilities are about as good the college level has this year.

Aaron Williams is a beast. He might be a little more tight / high than I originally thought, but he's a legit top 15 player.

Ras-I Dowling is ******* slow. That's all I'm gonna say for right now, but I think if anyone is getting a little too much hype, it's him. I don't really pay attention to 40 times, but his long speed has been exposed in games.

BRAVEHEART
10-09-2010, 01:36 AM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/995/F734194.2.10%20%2075928.jpg

Best CB to leave USC in over a decade.

Mr.Regular
10-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I agree with Ras-I being slow. That's his only major issue though....now of course, speed is a major part of being a CB, but other than that the guy is money. If he shows he can run a good time, no doubt he's a first round pick in my eyes.

descendency
10-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Beware of USC CBs like UF WRs.

Babylon
10-09-2010, 01:08 PM

The guy can fly and plays a very physical brand of ball for his size.

Also impressed with Alfonzo Dennard of Nebraska who is in the shadow of Prince Amukamara.

Rosebud
10-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Beware of USC CBs like UF WRs.

I believe these two gentlemen would like a word with you good sir.

35X3yxoWCYA
DTw6oIM5mio

Hines
10-09-2010, 01:14 PM
I think Ras-I Dowling is a FS in the NFL. I like me some Omar Bolden(probably won't declare), Janoris Jenkins, and TJ Bryant(probably won't declare).

etk
10-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Shareece Wright, Brandon Harris and Janoris Jenkins aren't "2nd tier" by any stretch of the imagination. That would be an insult.

BeerBaron
10-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Shareece Wright, Brandon Harris and Janoris Jenkins aren't "2nd tier" by any stretch of the imagination. That would be an insult.

When the first tier contains PP and Prince, 2nd teir is about the best you can hope for.

A Perfect Score
10-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Dowling is overrated at this point. I like Harris a whole hell of a lot more then him. Harris is a fantastic cover guy, but I'd like to see a little bit more enthusiasm in run support if Im being honest. That said, he has all the tools to be a very good CB at the next level.

Aaron Williams and Jimmy Smith are two big, physical guys that project as very good players at the next level. This CB class is shaping up to be something special.

LonghornsLegend
10-09-2010, 04:51 PM
I think that both Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown from Texas could go the 2nd-3rd range.

Both should go in that range, and I think they provide some upside as a very solid #2 CB at the next level. Chykie has alot of Quentin Jammer qualities in him, not those that would make him that great of a prospect but as far as what Jammer's peak was at Corner in the NFL.

I am a big fan of Ras-I also, I think he needs to be more of a pure zone Corner though. I don't think he's too slow, but straight line speed will be a problem vs a Desean Jackson type. Put him in a scheme similiar to Talib and he's gonna do very well. People were all over Talib when Jordyzzz burned him for that go route back in College, but if you still asking Talib to do some of those same things now(similiar to what the Jets ask of Kyle Wilson), he'd look just as bad if not worse.

Alot of these guys depends on the scheme your gonna put them into.

Mr.Regular
10-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Am I making the same mistake with Dowling that I did with Donovan Warren last year?
I love Downlings style of play, but it does remind me a lot of Warren last year, whom I also liked... (similar style with major speed questions).

etk
10-10-2010, 04:11 PM
When the first tier contains PP and Prince, 2nd teir is about the best you can hope for.

Patrick Peterson is a great athlete but from what I've seen of Harris (a lot) and Jenkins (a fair amount), both are the same or better than Peterson when it comes to coverage. Jenkins is more of a ballhawk than Peterson while Harris is better in run support and can cover the slot as a nickel guy.

Obviously Peterson is the better prospect (he's my #1 overall and has been since before the year) because of his athleticism and return ability but who's to say that the 3 I mentioned won't be better cover guys in the pros? I don't think Harris has given up a catch that went for more than 10 yards this year, and even that I can't be sure of. Everything gets thrown underneath and he's so aggressive and physical that he closes and cuts it off for minimal gain.

I left out Amukamura because I haven't seen him live yet while Wright I've only seen pieces of.

I know it's semantics but these are great prospects...not 2nd-tier or 2nd-rate.

etk
10-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Dowling is overrated at this point. I like Harris a whole hell of a lot more then him. Harris is a fantastic cover guy, but I'd like to see a little bit more enthusiasm in run support if Im being honest. That said, he has all the tools to be a very good CB at the next level.

Aaron Williams and Jimmy Smith are two big, physical guys that project as very good players at the next level. This CB class is shaping up to be something special.

Are you talking about Brandon Harris?

If so......AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA wow

draftguru151
10-10-2010, 04:26 PM
APS not knowing what he's talking about I'M SHOCKED.

Mr. Goosemahn
10-10-2010, 05:45 PM
Other than Harris, which CB are good/willing in run-support?

And for those who haven't seen much of the CB prospects that are being mentioned, here are some clips of them:

BTW, all but two of the videos belong to AloAloysius and Mari0clp, who post here, so props and thanks to you guys.

Prince Amukamara
bHf3K8wBULw
leX0rYpk9wc

Brandon Harris
ClHSQML1sew

Janoris Jenkins
RCqBxzEIy6c

Ras-I Dowling
vUDcKqcHuK8
PmWJb1gPIEM

Aaron Williams
Fk4QdMwWy6Q
h5oUaOLG-yE

Jimmy Smith
Db4x3KRlZEc

BRAVEHEART
10-10-2010, 05:59 PM

QoZhkNPabwo

Texas Homer
10-10-2010, 09:08 PM

I think that Texas CB Aaron Williams is pretty strong in run support.

Fico
10-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Regarding the Texas CBs. Aaron Williams will be a top 20 pick for sure. Somebody will take a flyer on Chykie as a late first early second. I think he is mid 2nd to mid 3rd guy myself, but he is very impressive physically, he just suffers from brain farts. Cu.Brown will quietly be selected in the 2nd round and go on to be a very solid player wherever he winds up.

A Perfect Score
10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Are you talking about Brandon Harris?

If so......AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA wow

I didn't say he wasn't good in run support, I said I'd like to see more enthusiasm. Big difference. In fact, the reason I'd like to see more enthusiasm is because he's good in run support. He's shown the ability to really come downhill and seal the edge, I'd like to see some velocity in the tackles and see him really lay the lumber because he's definitely capable of doing it. Could just be a personal preference of course, and Im a huge fan of Harris. I've been saying for a while I'd love him to end up as a Raven.

Babylon
10-11-2010, 04:54 PM
Omar Bolden of Arizona St. has really caught my attention this year, he's a junior but will be 22 in December and probably would think about coming out.

Hines
10-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I like Omar Bolden as well. I just don't think he'll be picked in the top 3 rounds.

Babylon
10-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I like Omar Bolden as well. I just don't think he'll be picked in the top 3 rounds.

Hard to see where he'll be picked but a great combine could help. Of course i'm going by a couple of games watching him, one of which is against the U of Wash. covering their receivers isnt like covering real football players.

BamaFalcon59
10-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Have to show some love to Rock Carmichael from VT. Fastest player on the team, fifth fastest in team history, and a great cover man. Six interceptions and two thus far this season. Would have a lot more, but his biggest weakness are his ball skills.

Roughly a third or fourth round pick IMO.

hitman
10-11-2010, 11:33 PM
1. Chykie Brown
2. Jalil Brown
3. Korey Lindsey

Gunshinestate
10-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Ryan Hill from Miami is really impressing.
6'0"
205/208
4.3/4.4 40
4.1 shuttle.

He was recruited out of high school to play cornerback but was placed at receiver out of necessity. He was then moved to safety his junior year when they had enough receivers. He redhirted his senior year and has come on strong as a fifth year senior after being placed back at the position he was recruited to play.....cornerback. After watching this so far this year, I've realized he is definitely a sleeper. His versatility is amazing. He's started at three positions, not because he couldn't pan out at the first two but because he's played the role as utility player. A "Call me when u need me" type player. I hope the scouts are paying attention.

At cornerback this year:

3 interceptions
22 tackles
1.5 tackles for loss
3 pass break ups(6 defended)

phlysac
10-18-2010, 08:13 AM
I never really got the Ras-I Dowling love. I thought Chris Cook was clearly the better CB and Cook was a reach in the 2nd round.

Gunshinestate
10-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Dowling is really really looking like an nfl safety to me and smith is showing horrible techniche.

shylo3716
10-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Ryan Hill from Miami is really impressing.
6'0"
205/208
4.3/4.4 40
4.1 shuttle.

He was recruited out of high school to play cornerback but was placed at receiver out of necessity. He was then moved to safety his junior year when they had enough receivers. He redhirted his senior year and has come on strong as a fifth year senior after being placed back at the position he was recruited to play.....cornerback. After watching this so far this year, I've realized he is definitely a sleeper. His versatility is amazing. He's started at three positions, not because he couldn't pan out at the first two but because he's played the role as utility player. A "Call me when u need me" type player. I hope the scouts are paying attention.

At cornerback this year:

3 interceptions
22 tackles
1.5 tackles for loss
3 pass break ups(6 defended)

Coming out of HS Hill was ranked the #3 CB overall in the 2006 class. Throughout his career at Da U it has been a terrible roller-coaster ride for him. Although he has had to been Mr. Do It All, he has finally cracked the starting line up at his natural position. I just hope he continues to make big plays on D all year long so scouts can see what he really is capable of doing. If he stays consitent on D throughout the rest of the season and has a decent pro day a team will give him a shot. As of right now I don't see him being drafted because he hasn't had the time to develope in scouts eyes as a full time player at the CB spot.