PDA

View Full Version : Tennis & Golf

J-Mike88
10-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Neither sport is popular enough to draw enough attention on here to have its own thread apparently, so let's try a 2-fer. My European and Aussie friends, help me out here with these sports!

Nice win by Federer over Djokovic today in Shanghai. Strange for me to see Roger as the #3 seed and Djoker the #2 seed, as if that was an upset. I still can't believe Fed lost to Djoker at the US Open, up 2-1 in sets. The ladies would have been all done by then. They only have to play 3 sets, and still get paid the same **** money for slams? That's bull****.

Anyway, Murray vs Federer tomorrow in the finals. Gotta like Roger.

What's going on in golf right now?

Bosanac01
10-18-2010, 02:27 AM
Tennis yes, golf no

Hawk
10-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Tennis no. Golf, **** yeah

wogitalia
10-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Women's Tennis **** Yeah!

We are clearly in the best era of women's tennis and I'm really not talking about the standard of play if you get what I mean.

killxswitch
10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Actually there is a golf thread - http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34892&highlight=pga+golf

thenewfeature06
10-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Golf is mad hard but is for sure a beautiful sport and is fun to play.

nepg
10-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Golf is mad hard but is for sure a beautiful sport and is fun to play.

Your mom is mad hard (:O)but is for sure a beautiful sport and is fun to play.

mitchaldavis
01-11-2011, 08:57 AM
few golf updates:
1. Johnson pulls out of Sony for personal reasons
2. Byrd needs playoff to win at Kapalua Video | Sobel
3. Oosthuizen wins Africa Open in playoff | Scores
4. Europe dominates singles to claim Royal Trophy
5. Gulbis confirms that she's dating Dustin Johnson

J-Mike88
06-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Good effort from Federer today, but again he loses to Nadal.

Federer could have won this match today, but he choked the 1st set, when he was leading 5-2 and a point away from wrapping up the set and taking a 1-0 lead.
He had 2 break points on Nadal in that game, and the 2nd one he played a too-cute drop shot that was a centimeter wide. He didn't need to go for the line on that shot. The point was his even if Nadal had gotten to it. Then Federer got broken serving for the set at 5-3. That can't happen. Serve good, get the 1st serves in.

Then Federer lost in the tiebreaker in the 2nd set when he got behind early because he hit FOUR forehands into the net, totally unforced errors.

He didn't serve big at the big moments like he did vs Djokovic.

That was the difference. This match should have gone 5 sets, and perhaps Federer should have won in 4 sets. But he is mentally psyched-out by Nadal.

The_Dude
06-05-2011, 09:29 PM
yeah, Fed sure **** the bed in the first set. The match was over as soon as he let Nadal back into it.

Fed is psyched out by Nadal on clay, that's for sure!

JRTPlaya21
06-05-2011, 10:48 PM
It was a glorious Sunday for me watching King Rafa further cement his legacy. I have nothing but love for a fellow Madridista & can't wait til the all England club!! And I called before the match Rafa in 4 sets because the Fed is just too damn good to sweep often & I felt great calling that comeback down 5-2. Came out looking like a genius.

J-Mike88
06-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Tiger is out for the US Open next week.
That kills the ratings for NBC, but now they might talk about the real golfers more... the guys who have won something in the past 2 years. Maybe.

I like Geoff Ogilvy next week to win.
Watch out for Hunter Mahan, world #1 Luke Donald, and YE Yang!

princefielder28
06-08-2011, 03:30 PM
my pick for the US Open is Nick Watney...he came close to finally winning a big event last month at Sawgrass and his game has all the necessary tools to get it done at an Open venue

Aaron Baddeley has been playing some solid golf too, prolly go with him as a bit of a "sleeper"

jayceheathman
06-19-2011, 10:37 PM
What physical traits are needed to be a good golfer? Like, what sets Tiger or Rory apart from the other golfers? I keep thinking about it but all I can come up with is whoever has the best form and has good concentration.

Jamaal-Football
06-20-2011, 01:06 AM
What physical traits are needed to be a good golfer? Like, what sets Tiger or Rory apart from the other golfers? I keep thinking about it but all I can come up with is whoever has the best form and has good concentration.

Well, yeah, pretty much. Tiger had a sick putting game in his prime, and he could outdrive most golfers.

descendency
06-20-2011, 04:06 AM

dedication.

Caddy
06-20-2011, 04:20 AM
I think the fact that golfers are successful into their 40's and 50's casts aside notions that athleticism or physical skill set have anything to do with it. It's all about putting in the hard work, golf is a mental game.

boknows34
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Very proud of Rory McIlroy as he grew up just 8 miles from myself on the suburbs of Belfast.

Amazingly that's consecutive US Opens for Northern Ireland (pop approx 1.7 million) after Graeme McDowell's victory last year. A new golfing superpower has emerged. lol ;) While I say that with tongue in cheek McIlroy is undoubtedly the sport's next global superstar.

I currently live in London but probably won't be attending Wimbledon this year. Nadal over Federer in the final is my prediction. The womens final - two 6-foot East European stunners please.

AntoinCD
06-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Very proud of Rory McIlroy as he grew up just 8 miles from myself on the suburbs of Belfast.

Amazingly that's consecutive US Opens for Northern Ireland (pop approx 1.7 million) after Graeme McDowell's victory last year. A new golfing superpower has emerged. lol ;) While I say that with tongue in cheek McIlroy is undoubtedly the sport's next global superstar.

I currently live in London but probably won't be attending Wimbledon this year. Nadal over Federer in the final is my prediction. The womens final - two 6-foot East European stunners please.

You're from Belfast??? I didnt think anyone else on here was except my brother.

I think it's funny about McIlroy. I used to work with a fella who played him a few times in the West of Ireland championships when McIlroy was like 14 or 15 and he hammered him

boknows34
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
You're from Belfast??? I didnt think anyone else on here was except my brother.

I think it's funny about McIlroy. I used to work with a fella who played him a few times in the West of Ireland championships when McIlroy was like 14 or 15 and he hammered him

Yes, I'm from the north-west of the city while Rory is from just outside East Belfast in Holywood. McIlroy went to Sullivan Upper school who we used to play against in rugby, field hockey and cricket.

6D7ReWQMGho

killxswitch
06-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Watching McIlroy win it makes me want to get out on the course so bad. I haven't played at all yet this year.

J-Mike88
06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

That's right.
It's more mental strength in this "sport".
Consistency. Same swing over and over and over and over.... it's a precise game of inches. Fractions of an inch make a world of difference.

Think about this: You can get as good as your mind (and body) will let you, and nobody can do anything about it. No opponent can guard you, pitch to you, cover you, tackle you, trick you, etc. It's just you vs the course.

That's why even though I love golf and play a lot, it's not a true "sport" to me. It's more of a game, like a video game or chess. No defense in it, no running, no jumping, no defense.

Anyway, now to Wimbledon:
Will anyone derail the BIG 4 from the semi's:

Nadal
Federer
Djokovic
Murray?

Delpotro looks to get Nadal in the quarters, which will be a good one. And Murray will get Roddick in the quarters. Murray just anhialated him on grass a week ago, and they have split vs each other here at Wimbledon, with Roddick beating him 2 years ago here in the semifinals, with Roddick then losing to Federer in the marathon thriller in the final.

J-Mike88
06-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Today's Tsonga-Dimitrov match was semifinal-quality! Great stuff, tremendous drama.

Ryan Harrison is giving the #7 seed Ferrer all kinds of trouble, up 2-1 sets but down in the 4th. I don't see ANY young American player (male or female) who is ever going to win a Grand Slam.
Certainly not Isner or Querrey.

But Harrison has the best chance to eventually get into the top ten one day.

J-Mike88
06-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Evidence that golf is not a "sport".
This is your leader thru 2 rounds (or 1 stroke behind), in this week's LPGA event, which is one of their 4 "majors".

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/gallery/im:urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,ap:20050301:pga,photo,a p-201106241917694551779:1#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3 Asports.yahoo%2Cgetty%3A20050301%3Apga%2Cphoto%2C4 c677b5f26dbf1987721df9dfa4dac7d-getty-117221386%3A1

Seamus2602
07-17-2011, 12:10 PM
We had to wait 60 years for an Irishman to win another major but since 2007 Irish golfers have won 6, more than any other country.

princefielder28
07-17-2011, 12:11 PM
We had to wait 40 years for an Irishman to win another major but since 2007 Irish golfers have won 6, more than any other country.

Darren Clarke was solid all week and certainly deserved to win the Open Championship

Seamus2602
07-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I had actually meant 60 years but ach well.

jayceheathman
07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
What separates Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic from the other players? What do they have that other players lack? Is tennis mostly about having the best cardio because I know it must take a lot out of someone to have one match for 3 hours.

boknows34
07-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Back to back major titles for Northern Ireland (pop 1.7 million). Amazing and very proud to be an Ulsterman.

J-Mike88
08-22-2011, 11:54 AM
#1-ranked Caroline Wozniacki is struggling.
Why?
Maybe because Rory McIlroy keeps b***** her with his Titanium driver?
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/players/1436/photos#photoViewer=urn%3Anewsml%3Asports.yahoo%2Cg etty%3A20050301%3Aten%2Cphoto%2C87d9c8f2443881d5c5 e749322c829473-getty-121287347%3A1