PDA

View Full Version : Pick Shane's Hobby for next summer

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 06:33 PM
So, it looks like I'm going to have the summer free, and I'm thinking about taking up some hobby to better myself/do something I've always wanted to do. Likely will have from the draft through end of August to accomplish this goal, and may just get the materials for Christmas to get a jump and not fully pay for it.

Right now, I'm thinking either going balls to the wall and getting P90X to kick my ass or Getting an acoustic guitar and learning to play.

Any other suggestions welcome, but these are two things I've always wanted to do both of these type of activities at one point in my life.

I'll hand out rep for some insight! Ha.

Jvig43
10-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Acoustic will take you much longer then the summer to learn. You'll have to dedicate years to it if you want to actually learn to play well. I keep trying to pick up surfing every summer, its a great choice imo.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Acoustic will take you much longer then the summer to learn. You'll have to dedicate years to it if you want to actually learn to play well. I keep trying to pick up surfing every summer, its a great choice imo.

No doubt it will take more than that, this would just be to get me started. If I make progress, I'd stick with it.

Surfing may not be too practical in Pittsburgh, ha.

fischbowl
10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Don't be a *****, JBond, start playing the fiddlephone

http://historywired.si.edu/images/objects/046.jpg

Mr. Goosemahn
10-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Both are good options. Can't you do both?

P90X is about one hour every day, give or take (except Yoga, that takes longer), plus the Ab workout every other day.

Guitar practice could be one to two hours every day, depending on how much you like it and how much your fingers can take, though that shouldn't be a problem.

Jvig43
10-18-2010, 06:54 PM
Starting with guitar you want to spread out your practices to about two or three sessions each about twenty minutes or so. I'd say go with guitar just because I'm a guitar player haha but just go in to it understanding it's going to take alot of time to get good at. Just take baby steps. As for the P90x, I do my own workouts with my weights which do just fine for me.

Brent
10-18-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm going to start P90X soon. I vote that.

steelersfan43
10-18-2010, 07:05 PM
guitar is boring and annoying when people think they should be playing everywhere.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
10-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Interesting to note if girls are at all a part of this: If you succeed at one, you dont really need the other.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Interesting to note if girls are at all a part of this: If you succeed at one, you dont really need the other.

Figure it can't hurt for that aspect of life.

Mr. Goosemahn
10-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Voted guitar. I think playing guitar would be a better hobby, plus I think you might enjoy it more. Working out is great and all, but it can sometimes get a bit boring, while playing guitar probably doesn't. You can hear a song you like and then learn it.

Not too sure, but I understand you like musicals and consequently music, so playing guitar would probably be something you'd like as well.

Also, you could play your Mock Draft song now! :D

nepg
10-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Working out isn't a hobby.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 07:23 PM
I think it could be if you are dedicated to it. It can be fun.

prock
This thread should be entitled:

"Shane is having trouble getting girls so pick a new way for him to attract females that he can learn/do in one summer"

CashmoneyDrew
Do both. Drown in puss.

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 07:24 PM

"Shane is having trouble getting girls so pick a new way for him to attract females that he can learn/do in one summer"

Nah, this is something I've been debating for awhile. No rep for you! :D

prock
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Nah, this is something I've been debating for awhile. No rep for you! :D

You are lying to me if that didn't weigh in with either of these options haha

Mr. Goosemahn
10-18-2010, 07:28 PM

Nah, that was the cologne thread ;)

nepg
10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
It all comes together...next thing will be a hair cut/facial hair thread.

CashmoneyDrew
10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
If you're just picking up guitar to impress the ladies, you can probably learn a handful of songs fairly easily and it wouldn't take the whole summer.

P90x is nice if you think you'll keep up with it, but I don't really see it as a hobby.

Give us more options!

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 07:34 PM
It all comes together...next thing will be a hair cut/facial hair thread.

The moustache is off at least.

Anyway, If you had suggestions for other options, I'll take them. But these are two I think I'd enjoy/stick with.

eaglesalltheway
10-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Well Shane, I know you're into music, and you will probably really enjoy learning and playing guitar, so you can't go wrong with either choice. I would personally say if you are doing one or the other, go with P90x though. I know for a fact that anyone who sticks with the program gets great results. If its for bettering yourself, that's the way to go, you can learn guitar later, and then like VDM said, you will be drowning in tang.

But none of this really matters because its your decision anyway. I'm just in favor of anything that'll make our major figurehead seem like more of a badass.

DeepThreat
10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Your SWDC tour idea was much better.

P90x. You are out of shape.

CJSchneider
10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
I vote Acoustic Guitar. Imagine how sweet it will sound on the pod-casts.

General Zod
10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
I voted guitar. It might have something to do with the fact that ive been playing guitar for about, oh....20 years or so lol.

Yes, guitar homerism at its finest. :-)

On a side note: I will soon be starting a off topic thread called "Get Zod laid". I expect everyones full support. lol

Paranoidmoonduck
10-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Shane, you have a little music theory background, don't you?

Either way, I'd go with the guitar. Time put into it now will pay off a lot longer than working out hard for a summer and it's just better in every way (I'm a slightly biased music major).

Brothgar
10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I have a much better work out regiment it is call massive frantic masturbation If you do it right it is a full body workout. Frantic masturbation work out >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> P90x

GB12
10-18-2010, 09:34 PM
If you're not starting until summer why are you deciding now?

Shane P. Hallam
10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
If you're not starting until summer why are you deciding now?

As I mentioned in the first post, I may get a jumpstart at Christmas and over that break.

Guitar seems like it could be pretty awesome, I'm just not a kinesthetic learner, which makes it difficult. I do have a music theory background for singing.

I am massively weak and out of shape though, and if P90x is something I could get into and keep going, I wonder how lucrative it could be for my health, well-being, etc.

Don Vito
10-18-2010, 10:37 PM
There are a ton of people who are in shape who don't get laid, but pretty much all musicians do. Plus you can still workout without Bro90X, a lot of people claim it to be magical but I still don't buy into **** like that.

Guitar.

Bosanac01
10-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Shane. Since you're a lazy pizza eating bastard, I think P90X would be perfect for you. You should time your 40 yard dash and do a vertical jump as well just to see how well you progressed.

vidae
10-18-2010, 10:51 PM
P90X is beastly. When I first started it I was dead after pretty much every workout but now they're not so bad.

You should do both if you're able. P90X isn't a massive time sink and you can use the rest of the time to practice guitar. It isn't like you necessarily have to go to the gym to do P90X, so you could save time by doing it from home. You just need the bands and a few weights.

Do both. It'll hurt when you first start, but you'll feel better for doing it, and the guitar is just fun.

brat316
10-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Whats with all these threads you are making...lady friend?

derza222
10-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Like Vidae said, P90X is pretty tough. The workouts will kick your ass in the beginning, I keep meaning to start again because I think it would definitely help me to get in better shape but I never do. But I digress...if you're definitely committed to doing the workouts I think P90X is a solid way to get direction and get in shape if you haven't worked out much on your own.

However, I think the guitar may be the better move if you're just going to go with one. You can work out without P90X, and the guitar's something you can keep with you the rest of your life. Unless you think that after P90X you'll be working out a lot since that'll get you used to it, that's something that won't stick with you as long. I still think you could always do some other form of working out over the summer though, and then do P90X at a different point once you're used to working out, and learn guitar. To stay in shape you'll have to keep working out, the guitar should stick a little more. Or you could always do what vidae said and do both since P90X doesn't say that long. Good luck with whichever route you choose!

Forenci
10-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Neither. Just play Xbox Live with me all summer.

I actually hated P90x. It's nice to get in shape with, but extremely boring (to me). Granted, I have a short attention span.

If you want a nice hobby to get in shape with try jogging!

niel89
10-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Is cost a major factor? P90x is ~$140 on amazon if you going to buy it new/pay for it. I don't know how much a good guitar would be. How much are you willing to spend on this hobby?

D-Unit
10-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Do both. P90X only takes an hour and a half a day. That won't fill your summer.

prock
10-18-2010, 11:29 PM
Is cost a major factor? P90x is ~$140 on amazon. I don't know how much a good guitar would be. How much are you willing to spend on this hobby?

P90x is free via Vuze.

Stash
10-19-2010, 12:51 AM
I would definitely pick guitar. I don't know too many people that consider working out a hobby. It might be "fun" if you only do it once in a while, but when you have to do it everyday it becomes more of a grind. I go to the gym most days, it's not something I look forward to. Plus guitar is something that will stick with you longer like others have said. You can work your ass off in the gym for the summer but if you stop working out for a little while you'll be back to square one.

WMD
10-19-2010, 03:12 AM
Just buy Guitar Hero and Wii Fit.

Caddy
10-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Neither. Just play Xbox Live with me all summer.

I actually hated P90x. It's nice to get in shape with, but extremely boring (to me). Granted, I have a short attention span.

If you want a nice hobby to get in shape with try jogging!

We shall play Forenci. I miss our epic Madden matches!

Shane P. Hallam
10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Is cost a major factor? P90x is ~$140 on amazon if you going to buy it new/pay for it. I don't know how much a good guitar would be. How much are you willing to spend on this hobby?

Cost isn't a factor. I'll invest the money into whichever (which will give me more motivation to pursue it).

Hmmm, great suggestions so far. Will give out some rep tonight. Keep them coming?

prock
10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
Harmonica is also a worthwhile hobby. I tried to pick this up two summers ago and gave up after a few hours of practicing, it is actually pretty difficult. I struggle to stay motivated on most things, but if you are dedicated then harmonica would be tight.

scottyboy
10-19-2010, 11:01 AM
you can join me in obsessing over rutgers! it's a very fun hobby!
and I know you teach, so might i suggest coaching? you obviously have an eye for talent and football smarts so perhaps try and get into coaching.
orrrrrr just play 360 all summer. with forenci. and me. because i'll be home and have free time.
yay!

DiG
10-19-2010, 11:26 AM
where is golf as an option?

nepg
10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
There are a ton of people who are in shape who don't get laid, but pretty much all musicians do. Plus you can still workout without Bro90X, a lot of people claim it to be magical but I still don't buy into **** like that.

Guitar.
It's not magical, it's just a well-put-together system. For most people, it's about needing to be told how, when, and how much to workout. Their systems tell you exactly what to do... I have P90 and it's great. I need to get back on it and graduate to P90X.

killxswitch
10-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Don't play acoustic guitar. Everyone plays guitar. If you want to play an instrument learn to play drums. Guitar players everywhere wish they knew a drummer or a better drummer so they could jam. Plus you will get more exercise than you would playing guitar (though of coures not as intense as P90x). I play both, and I am better at guitar, but I wish I was better at drums.

nepg
10-19-2010, 11:34 AM
The moustache is off at least.

Anyway, If you had suggestions for other options, I'll take them. But these are two I think I'd enjoy/stick with.
To be honest, I've been wanting to pick up a banjo lately.

nepg
10-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Don't play acoustic guitar. Everyone plays guitar. If you want to play an instrument learn to play drums. Guitar players everywhere wish they knew a drummer or a better drummer so they could jam. Plus you will get more exercise than you would playing guitar (though of coures not as intense as P90x). I play both, and I am better at guitar, but I wish I was better at drums.
Drums require space and you can't take them with you everywhere. This was the err in judgement I made when I went with an electric guitar over acoustic. I never learned to play it because I didn't like sitting in the spot where my guitar was all the time.

Shane P. Hallam
10-19-2010, 11:39 AM
It's not magical, it's just a well-put-together system. For most people, it's about needing to be told how, when, and how much to workout. Their systems tell you exactly what to do... I have P90 and it's great. I need to get back on it and graduate to P90X.

That's what attracts me to P90X because I know nothing about working out, but I'd be dedicated. If I am told how, when and how much, it'd be perfect. Hmmm. I'm thinking maybe both. Maybe get the guitar for Christmas and start slowly, then after the draft, get the equipment for P90X

killxswitch
10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Drums require space and you can't take them with you everywhere. This was the err in judgement I made when I went with an electric guitar over acoustic. I never learned to play it because I didn't like sitting in the spot where my guitar was all the time.

I guess if moving around with your instrument is important to you (I didn't read the OP carefully) then sure, acoustic guitar. But drums are way cooler if you want to take it seriously. If you want to strum a few chords on the beach hoping to attract some tail then yeah acoustic guitar is probably a better option. But I would go P90x instead. For me it would be drums>P90x>guitar.

Rob S
10-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Why not try some heavier lifting instead of P90X? Having a good base of strength will make P90X more valuable for you and I would recommend getting some muscle before starting the program as it isn't really designed to add much muscle. A summer on starting strength would do wonders for you.

trkaline
10-19-2010, 11:53 AM
You could try knitting, but knit badass **** like hoodies.... None of that *** ass Sweater\Vest\Scarf combo ****. Hoodies got the street cred yo.

killxswitch
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Why not try some heavier lifting instead of P90X? Having a good base of strength will make P90X more valuable for you and I would recommend getting some muscle before starting the program as it isn't really designed to add much muscle. A summer on starting strength would do wonders for you.

SS was great for me when I did it. I got a little burnt out on squats but I did get a lot stronger pretty quickly. I think it would depend on goals though whether to do a strength-based routine vs. a cardio-based one like P90x first.

Rob S
10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
SS was great for me when I did it. I got a little burnt out on squats but I did get a lot stronger pretty quickly. I think it would depend on goals though whether to do a strength-based routine vs. a cardio-based one like P90x first.

I think Shane is pretty skinny, thats why I said SS. Plus, if you don't have any experience working out you probably will, at the very best, suffer through P90X while not completing entire workouts, especially the pullup sections.

Vikes99ej
10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Guitar will get you ladies. P90x is a waste I think. I just lift weights and run, and I think I am in shape.

vikes_28
10-19-2010, 11:45 PM
Guitar. But only if you're a musical person. I know you said something about you being in chorus or something like that. I wouldn't have been able to teach myself guitar if I didn't have a musical background already.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-20-2010, 12:29 PM
It's pretty difficult to teach yourself an instrument unless you have a good musical background already. So if you go with guitar, you may need to get lessons, at least for a while, otherwise you might lose motivation and quit because of lack of progress.

Shane P. Hallam
10-20-2010, 01:11 PM
Plenty of videos and stuff online. I know the basics for music, but it may be difficult, either one will be.

wicket
10-20-2010, 01:22 PM
well obviously I need to know about the size of you before I can make an informed decision. My pick would however be finding a new GF. Loads of sex will take care of the physical excersize and with a GF there is no need to play guitar anymore as you'll already be gettin some

vikes_28
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
JBond is dating a girl already. He has yet to post a pic in IRC.

kalbears13
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Ukulele and P90x.

DeepThreat
10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
JBond is dating a girl already. He has yet to post a pic in IRC.

JBond and said girl are no longer dating. Keep up with the times, Vikes.

vikes_28
10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
JBond and said girl are no longer dating. Keep up with the times, Vikes.

Oh, Sad day. Does Jboogie need a hug?

OSUGiants17
10-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Guitar, a jacked Shane would be weird lookin.