PDA

View Full Version : Sites that help you find work. (I need some advice)

General Zod
10-24-2010, 09:03 AM
My younger brother is going to be looking for work soon. His small printing operation is going overseas. While he has no degree, he does have experience in the printing fields. He is comfortable with using computers, but he doesnt get on the web much.

I told him I would try to do what I can for him online when he throws a resume together. I myself havent looked for work myself in over 15 years. I am aware of Monster.com. Are there any other websites like Monster that we can use? Something to get his resume out there? Anything maybe just as popular as Monster or better?

Damix
10-24-2010, 09:13 AM
I got my current job by putting my resume up on monster and having companies contact me.

I've heard of careerbuilder.com not being too bad as well.

For technology professionals, dice.com is the best, though it is for more experienced people generally.

Also, nothing beats identifying companies you would like to work for and applying directly through their own websites.

Grizzlegom
10-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I got my current job by putting my resume up on monster and having companies contact me.

I've heard of careerbuilder.com not being too bad as well.

For technology professionals, dice.com is the best, though it is for more experienced people generally.

Also, nothing beats identifying companies you would like to work for and applying directly through their own websites.

I second all of this. Another good way to find work is career fairs. They let pretty much anybody into college recruiting ones so if there are any colleges in your area, you can always crash them. I brought a few friends from other schools to the Penn State career fair and a couple of them got follow up interviews and one got a job. I got my job going to that same career fair as well but got my internship by going directly to a company's website.

Brent
10-24-2010, 10:53 AM
my father used monster to get his current job. he seems to like it.

Wally03
10-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Another site that seems to pull up a nice list of jobs based on your location is indeed.com.

General Zod
10-24-2010, 05:05 PM
ok thanks all

jayceheathman
10-25-2010, 12:37 PM
We had a career fair and not many people went, but then a few days after that, ESPN showed up and did their own thing and the whole ballroom was packed. They had to bring in extra chairs and even then people were lined up along the walls and trying to cram themselves in.