PDA

View Full Version : Damien Woody

WMD
03-19-2007, 10:52 PM
From KFFL.com
----------
Lions | Woody loses 31 pounds
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:54:25 -0700
Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions (http://www.kffl.com/team/16/nfl) OL Damien Woody (http://www.kffl.com/player/1142/nfl) lost 31 pounds during the offseason and will try to bring his weight down to 315 pounds. While Woody dealt with an injured left foot during the 2006 season, he struggled to control his weight and ballooned to 378 pounds. Now, Woody is fully healthy and dedicated to getting his body ready for the 2007 season
----------

Very good news from Damien Woody.. one of his biggest problems has been his weight.. I hope he can get it down, and keep it down. It could save him a spot on the team.

Jagonsucker
03-19-2007, 11:05 PM
yeah hopefully he keeps it up.

Addict
03-20-2007, 03:25 AM
From KFFL.com
----------
Lions | Woody loses 31 pounds
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:54:25 -0700
Mike O'Hara, of the Detroit News, reports Detroit Lions (http://www.kffl.com/team/16/nfl) OL Damien Woody (http://www.kffl.com/player/1142/nfl) lost 31 pounds during the offseason and will try to bring his weight down to 315 pounds. While Woody dealt with an injured left foot during the 2006 season, he struggled to control his weight and ballooned to 378 pounds. Now, Woody is fully healthy and dedicated to getting his body ready for the 2007 season
----------

Very good news from Damien Woody.. one of his biggest problems has been his weight.. I hope he can get it down, and keep it down. It could save him a spot on the team.

Does that mean he'll stay on roster?

TacticaLion
03-20-2007, 06:07 AM
HOLY ****! That's friggin awesome! Honestly... if he can come back and play well... that's great news.

I hope it happens that way.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-20-2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html#245054

Woody needs to have a good year and training camp. Interesting cap situation. I don't know if I want Barry Stokes at guard if we cut Woody. I say give him one more year.

Scotty D
03-20-2007, 08:47 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_lions/archives/2007_03.html#245054

Woody needs to have a good year and training camp. Interesting cap situation. I don't know if I want Barry Stokes at guard if we cut Woody. I say give him one more year.

We still have the draft to get a guard if we cut Woody. But of course Millen has trouble on the second day.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Sounds like Stokes would start though. I would love Blalock but if we cut Woody and get Blalock we still need a Left Guard unless Frank Davis or Stokes plays Left Guard. We just resigned Saipia too to a 2 year deal.

TacticaLion
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
We still have the draft to get a guard if we cut Woody. But of course Millen has trouble on the second day.Good article by Killer... some good points made. Can we trust that Woody will be dominant? Hmm...

I think that, if we can draft a guard like Blalock/Grubbs, we cut him and let the rookie into the rotation (if he's ready). If they'd like to go a different direction in the draft, keep Woody and let him prove himself.

I dunno. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.

ironman4579
03-20-2007, 11:49 AM
If Woody could get his weight under control, he could be at least serviceable IMO.

TacticaLion
03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
If Woody could get his weight under control, he could be at least serviceable IMO.I think it's hard to pay a "serviceable" player $6 million (or $4.5 million... or something). We have a lot of players that are "serviceable"... but, to make that much, he has to be a solid starter.

Is he there? No one knows.

Newbs24
03-20-2007, 12:12 PM
That is good news. It would be nice to have some options on the offensive line and those guys to be in shape/healthy. I would still like to see Blalock fall to us and scoop him up late in the first (trading up after trading down from #2) or early in the 2nd.

ironman4579
03-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I think it's hard to pay a "serviceable" player $6 million (or $4.5 million... or something). We have a lot of players that are "serviceable"... but, to make that much, he has to be a solid starter.

Is he there? No one knows.

I agree with you there. It's funny that I brought up the money issue in reference to Mike Williams, and then didn't even think about it for Woodey. But I agree, for that much money, he needs to be a solid starter.

LionSmack
03-20-2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070320/SPORTS01/703200357/1049

Here's the Free Press article with some direct quotes of Woody.

It sounds like a couple things have happened here. One, Woody realized his career is circling the drain and unless he does something about it fast, his next contract will be for peanuts, if he even gets another one. Two, the Lions finally made good on their yearly "bus tickets" rhetoric by getting rid of Bly and Hall, and Woody knows he is that close to getting kicked to the curb.

That's what it sounds like. But I also feel like losing the next 30 lbs., to get down to the 315 he says he wants to be at, might not be so easy. We'll see.

TacticaLion
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070320/SPORTS01/703200357/1049

Here's the Free Press article with some direct quotes of Woody.

It sounds like a couple things have happened here. One, Woody realized his career is circling the drain and unless he does something about it fast, his next contract will be for peanuts, if he even gets another one. Two, the Lions finally made good on their yearly "bus tickets" rhetoric by getting rid of Bly and Hall, and Woody knows he is that close to getting kicked to the curb.

That's what it sounds like. But I also feel like losing the next 30 lbs., to get down to the 315 he says he wants to be at, might not be so easy. We'll see.The Killer blog about Woody scared me... I guess the same thing happened a few years ago... he was overweight, came to camp in shape and promised to perform and work hard... and it didn't happen. I really hope it happens this time.

If Millen thinks that it won't happen, he needs to release him and fill the hole elsewhere. Keeping him (again) and having him slack off (again) will show "weakness" on his part to his players. He needs to give the impression that if you say something, you do it... or you're gone.

ironman4579
03-20-2007, 10:05 PM
The Killer blog about Woody scared me... I guess the same thing happened a few years ago... he was overweight, came to camp in shape and promised to perform and work hard... and it didn't happen. I really hope it happens this time.

If Millen thinks that it won't happen, he needs to release him and fill the hole elsewhere. Keeping him (again) and having him slack off (again) will show "weakness" on his part to his players. He needs to give the impression that if you say something, you do it... or you're gone.

Completely agree here. Marinelli is trying to be a "hard nosed" type coach, my way or the highway. If he appears soft, the players are going to look at it like it's just an act, an may quit on him IMO.

TacticaLion
03-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Completely agree here. Marinelli is trying to be a "hard nosed" type coach, my way or the highway. If he appears soft, the players are going to look at it like it's just an act, an may quit on him IMO.Agree. That doesn't mean "put your ego infront of whats best for the team", but it means "if he starts to slip again, get on him immediately... if he falls back into the same routine, bench him". There's a fine line between being strict and being too strict... and he's gotta walk that line perfectly.

He can do it, though.

ironman4579
03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Agree. That doesn't mean "put your ego infront of whats best for the team", but it means "if he starts to slip again, get on him immediately... if he falls back into the same routine, bench him". There's a fine line between being strict and being too strict... and he's gotta walk that line perfectly.

He can do it, though.

Yep, I think it's really easy to step over into that Tom Coughlin "you're 5 minutes early for the meeting so you're late" mindset.

Addict
03-21-2007, 09:29 AM
Agree. That doesn't mean "put your ego infront of whats best for the team", but it means "if he starts to slip again, get on him immediately... if he falls back into the same routine, bench him". There's a fine line between being strict and being too strict... and he's gotta walk that line perfectly.

He can do it, though.

Well... if you want hard-nosed:

"It's all up to Damien," Millen said. "If Damien does what he says he's going to do and what he's been asked to do, then he'll do well. And if he doesn't, then he won't be here."

that's pretty hard-nosed in my opinion. Woody performs or gets cut, that's the message I read in this.

ironman4579
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
that's pretty hard-nosed in my opinion. Woody performs or gets cut, that's the message I read in this.

I think people are just saying hopefully Millen and Marinelli live up to their word in this type of situation, not just talk the talk.

Addict
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
I think people are just saying hopefully Millen and Marinelli live up to their word in this type of situation, not just talk the talk.

They should just decide what kind of way they want to go and stick with it you mean?

ironman4579
03-21-2007, 10:09 AM
They should just decide what kind of way they want to go and stick with it you mean?

Not exactly, no. I mean, if Millen says that Woody will be cut if he doesn't get/stay in shape, that doesn't mean he's going to actually do it. If Marinelli wants to be hard nosed, but then lets guys slide on stuff, he's not really being hard nosed. I'm not saying make a decision right now and then stick too it. That's kind of silly. Woody might get in shape and stay in shape, but if they didn't take the time to find out and just cut him, they'd never know. I'm just saying when Millen makes a statement like that, if the time comes that he needs to act on that statement, hopefully he does it. Otherwise he and Marinelli can make all the statements they want. If the action doesn't follow the words, the words are meaningless.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Well... if you want hard-nosed:

that's pretty hard-nosed in my opinion. Woody performs or gets cut, that's the message I read in this.The problem there is that, if he's still on the roster past a certain date, his bonus (or whatever) becomes guarenteed. And, that's not good.

If he was making the league minimum, it wouldn't matter. But, $6 million (or whatever) becoming guarenteed past a certain date changes the situation.

If he slacks, they've gotta make him an example.

detroit4life
03-21-2007, 11:22 AM
he still has a lot more weight to loose i think to be where he was told to be if he gets there buy training camp they need to keep him becuase it will send a mesage to the team that even tho he did everything the coaches asked him he still got cut. A decision isn't going to be made until the day before that money of his becomes guarenteed if he's at 315 which i think is the weight they want him at he stays if not hes gone its that simple

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
he still has a lot more weight to loose i think to be where he was told to be if he gets there buy training camp they need to keep him becuase it will send a mesage to the team that even tho he did everything the coaches asked him he still got cut. A decision isn't going to be made until the day before that money of his becomes guarenteed if he's at 315 which i think is the weight they want him at he stays if not hes gone its that simple

That's true... punish them for slipping but also reward them for working hard.

It'll come down to more than just the weight, though... if Marinelli thinks he'll still slip and wont be the player he says he will be, he'll probably cut him anyway. Keep in mind... this happened before and he slipped again. Marinelli needs to believe it.