PDA

View Full Version : Will Joe Mauer hit .400?

06-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Going into today he's batting .388 and it's rising fast. Will he it .400?

jkpigskin
06-11-2006, 06:51 PM
NO WAY... nobody in the modern era will hit .400

there should be no votes for yes

06-11-2006, 06:53 PM

If anyone votes yes there dumb

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 06:54 PM
he might not hit 400 but hes such a damn beast. Without a doubt the best catcher in the league. He'll hit 370

ATLDirtyBirds
06-11-2006, 06:55 PM

SuperMcGee
id love to see almost anyone do it just because of the great accomplishment it would be, but it more than likely wont happen. Maybe someday, maybe this year..... i couldnt tell you. But there is a very very very slim chance it does

DHVF

Why? This kid is simply amazing and while I agree that he definitely won't hit 400, there's always a chance. Plus the fact that he can hit lefties and righties almost equally gives him an extra edge.

Hawk
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Hells no, no one will bat .400 anymore, like no one will ever reach 755

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 06:56 PM

Why? This kid is simply amazing and while I agree that he definitely won't hit 400, there's always a chance. Plus the fact that he can hit lefties and righties almost equally gives him an extra edge.

hes amazing. I thought we were supposed to be so dumb for passing on Prior?

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 06:57 PM

people said the same about 61 homers, 714 homers, etc.

Hawk
06-11-2006, 07:01 PM

Both those records were broken by players that were using performance enhancing drugs, i.e. McGwire admitted to using andro when he broke that record and we all know about Bonds.

Post steroid era those records are not gonna be broken

SuperMcGee
06-11-2006, 07:02 PM

Both those records were broken by players that were using performance enhancing drugs, i.e. McGwire admitted to using andro when he broke that record and we all know about Bonds.

hope lies in the Poo-holes

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 07:02 PM

pujols isnt juicing and he was well on his way.

06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Mauer is hitting .476 since May 12th.

He's gonna do it, watch. And he's only 23!

DHVF
06-11-2006, 07:09 PM

Ha, yeah I remember that. People in the media were saying how dumb we were for taking the guy most had rated at about 8 instead of the consensus #1 Prior. Thank god Pohlad's cheap in this case!

Hawk
06-11-2006, 07:16 PM

pujols isnt juicing and he was well on his way.

Yeah several players have gotten off to great starts before, injuries prevent them from breaking records. When someone is juicing, they can recover quicker from injuries.

jkpigskin
06-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Mauer is hitting .476 since May 12th.

He's gonna do it, watch. And he's only 23!

ok... we will see come october

keylime_5
06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
It's only early June and he isn't hitting .400. If someone in the modern era is gonna hit .400, they have to hit over .400 in the first half of the season.

SuperMcGee
06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
It's only early June and he isn't hitting .400. If someone in the modern era is gonna hit .400, they have to hit over .400 in the first half of the season.

what if he wants to do it in the 2nd half?? What then!!??

BuckNaked
06-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Won't even come close. He'll be around .340-.350.

Vikes99ej
06-11-2006, 08:46 PM
He's the only good hitter on the Twins. I wish we could keep him, Liriano, Santana, and Nathan and just trade away everyone else.

Nelo Ice
06-11-2006, 08:53 PM
He's the only good hitter on the Twins. I wish we could keep him, Liriano, Santana, and Nathan and just trade away everyone else.

u guys completely owned the giants in that trade btw....
:lol:

DHVF
06-11-2006, 08:56 PM

u guys completely owned the giants in that trade btw....
:lol:Liriano, Nathan, Bonser....It wasn't that unbalanced, was it? :lol:

P-L
06-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Not a chance, zero, zip, nada. He'll hit a max of around .350 and that's about it.

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 11:06 PM

Morneau is a beast of a power hitter

thule
06-11-2006, 11:07 PM

Don't forget trading AJ...alot of people were displeased with that too.

I agree with PL...he'll hit .360 max...but likely lower mid .300's

DChess
06-11-2006, 11:08 PM
no chance, only chance was back like ten years when Gywnn and walker were goign at it.

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM

I think he can bat 360-370. It seems like he hits the ball hard every at bat even when he gets out. He can hit it to any field and is good at hitting it the other way

DChess

well the only reason minnesota didnt take mauer was that they couldnt afford him.

Joe mauer never struck out in high school

Maroney22
no chance, only chance was back like ten years when Gywnn and walker were goign at it.

Nomar flirted a couple years back

sweetness34
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM
This sport has gotten to the point where you can't trust any of the players. Because like a couple people have mentioned on here, they can't test for HGH (Jason Grimsley's PHD), so unless you catch them in the act or you have to catch them having some in their homes, etc...

I've just grown sick of that sport and the corruption of the game. That doesn't go to say though that Baseball is the only corrupt sport in America....

P-L
06-11-2006, 11:14 PM

If by beast, you mean overrated I agree with you. 1 HR per 17 AB is not beast-like. A .485 SLG is not beast-like. A career 1 HR per 19 AB is not beast-like. A career .466 SLG is not beast-like. Those numbers are not bad but I am sick of hearing from people that Morneau is this insane power hitter.

DChess
06-11-2006, 11:15 PM

If by beast, you mean overrated I agree with you. 1 HR per 17 AB is not beast-like. A .485 SLG is not beast-like. A career 1 HR per 19 AB is not beast-like. A career .466 SLG is not beast-like. Those numbers are not bad but I am sick of hearing from people that Morneau is this insane power hitter.

i like a man who supports his arguments with stats and cold hard facts.

Maroney22
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM

give me a break we havent had a 30 home run hitter in like 873 years. He is on pace for about 35

Number 10
06-11-2006, 11:26 PM
He better, he's on my fantasy team

P-L
06-11-2006, 11:27 PM

give me a break we havent had a 30 home run hitter in like 873 years. He is on pace for about 35

Again, he is a good power hitter, not a great one. 35 is a good season, but not a great season. The 22 he hit last year were rather disappointing.

DHVF
06-11-2006, 11:28 PM

I agree man. The thing about him, is that he has an unbelievable amount of power, which is showcased by his ability to drive the ball over the fence going the other way. The thing about him though, is that he is a consistent underachiever and simply gets on those "cold streaks" far too often. If he is able to acquire the ability to choose his pitches more carefully and gain more consistency with his swing, he will become a big time power hitter and give the twins the power in the middle of their lineup that they've lacked for too long. That's a real big if though. Sadly to tell you the truth, I could see him continue to underachieve with the Twins, then blow up as a superstar once he joins another team ala Big Papi.

Tobzilla
06-12-2006, 02:18 AM

I agree man. The thing about him, is that he has an unbelievable amount of power, which is showcased by his ability to drive the ball over the fence going the other way. The thing about him though, is that he is a consistent underachiever and simply gets on those "cold streaks" far too often. If he is able to acquire the ability to choose his pitches more carefully and gain more consistency with his swing, he will become a big time power hitter and give the twins the power in the middle of their lineup that they've lacked for too long. That's a real big if though. Sadly to tell you the truth, I could see him continue to underachieve with the Twins, then blow up as a superstar once he joins another team ala Big Papi.

Yeah, hopefully he will gain consistency as he ages and grows as a hitter.

Now on Mauer. Why exactly cant someone hit 400 nowadays. Im not saying he will but I hate it when people say that its different now when ten years ago Gwynn had a chance to get it.

Mauer is going to be the best average hitter in the majors who will eventually gain power. Right now he has the ability to swing with power but chooses to hit situationally. Watch him hit the ball when he's up with two outs and nobody on base, then you will realize he can hit for power.

What Mauer is doing at such a young age is simply amazing. I cant wait to watch him grow as a hitter while leading Minny to a WS (hopefully).

rainbeaukid2
06-12-2006, 02:49 AM
he might get there but batting average goes down a lot faster than it goes up.

Jay
06-12-2006, 06:27 AM

Where? Over there? Irony...

Jay
06-12-2006, 06:31 AM
Oh and he's not going to do it. Everyone gets hot over stretches. I swear, I've seen Manny Ramirez go on 3-4 week stretches where he hits like .600, so Mauer having a good month stretch is what it is: a good month stretch. But he's a catcher, and if some of the best pure hitters in the game like Tony Gwynn, Wade Boggs or George Brett couldn't do it, I'm not seeing a 23 year old catcher doing it.

He's going to start getting tired over time with all the catching and he's just not going to get there. I mean, he's not even there now. He's going to comete for the batting title at this pace, but .400 ain't happening. Too much of a marathon...

njx9
06-12-2006, 09:00 AM
i can't believe there's a .400 discussion in fricking june.

my dog is on pace for .465, 78 home runs and 237 RBIs right now.

draftguru151
06-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Just think he was supposed to be the starting QB for FSU. I guess he made the right choice.

No way Mauer hits .400. He is great young player, but lets wait for someone to be hitting .400 before we start talking about it.

SidneyG
06-12-2006, 09:33 AM
No way does Maur hit .400 . First of all he is a catcher and by mid August when it is hot as fire he will be dead tired. You also have to factor in the speed factor Maur is fast for a catcher but I think you have to be able to get some bunt hits and infield singles to have a good shot at .400. Not to say that Maur is not becoming a good catcher because he is but I think hitting .400 is a bit unrealistic.

DHVF
06-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Just think he was supposed to be the starting QB for FSU. I guess he made the right choice.

No way Mauer hits .400. He is great young player, but lets wait for someone to be hitting .400 before we start talking about it.He was the number 1 rated QB in the country coming out of high school, but yeah even then, I think he made the right choice.

BIG7BEN
06-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Going into today he's batting .388 and it's rising fast. Will he it .400?

yea right!!!

he will hit .340 at the most in my opinin

:roll: :roll: :roll:

P-L
06-12-2006, 10:32 AM

Yeah, hopefully he will gain consistency as he ages and grows as a hitter.

Now on Mauer. Why exactly cant someone hit 400 nowadays. Im not saying he will but I hate it when people say that its different now when ten years ago Gwynn had a chance to get it.

Mauer is going to be the best average hitter in the majors who will eventually gain power. Right now he has the ability to swing with power but chooses to hit situationally. Watch him hit the ball when he's up with two outs and nobody on base, then you will realize he can hit for power.

What Mauer is doing at such a young age is simply amazing. I cant wait to watch him grow as a hitter while leading Minny to a WS (hopefully).

I don't think it will be unreachable for someone nowadays, except I think we are all sick of talks of .400 through 2 1/2 months of the season. Do you know how many players have flirted with .400 through June or July the past 10 years? Most of them get the pressure on them towards the end of the season and hit in the mid-.300's. Comparing Mauer to Gwynn is a travesty. Tony Gwynn was one of the best hitters of the 90's, Mauer isn't even one of the best hitters in baseball- yet. Bonds flirted with it a few years ago and he's a top 3 hitter of this era. I'm sorry but if guys like Gwynn and Bonds can't get it in their primes I'm not going to believe a young catcher who isn't in his prime is going to have a chance. Also, the fact that he is a catcher works against him. Being a catcher is the most grueling position in baseball, it provides a lot of wear and tear on the body. I know there have been many catchers who still have hit at the end of the season, but the chances are less likely.

Maroney22
06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
No way does Maur hit .400 . First of all he is a catcher and by mid August when it is hot as fire he will be dead tired. You also have to factor in the speed factor Maur is fast for a catcher but I think you have to be able to get some bunt hits and infield singles to have a good shot at .400. Not to say that Maur is not becoming a good catcher because he is but I think hitting .400 is a bit unrealistic.

The thing about that is he Dh's sometimes because Mike Redmond is hitting even better than him

Vikes99ej
06-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Morneau blows.

Maroney22
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Morneau blows.

actaully not really? Hes on pace to hit more homers than anyone on the twins since like 1856? Care to back up that weak statement with something?

Tobzilla
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
In ways he blows...at times its very frusterating watching him play. But, he's young and will get better. He tries to pull everything and needs to become a better hitter in general.

thule
06-12-2006, 12:36 PM
In ways he blows...at times its very frusterating watching him play. But, he's young and will get better. He tries to pull everything and needs to become a better hitter in general.

:? Mauer may not work the left field line...but he can hit that left center gap when the pitch is there. I really dont' think he has a problems spreading the ball around...I think it just has to do with his quick hands...which allow him to get around very quick on the ball...so he can easily pull it. However when you break down his swing...he is always on a level plain...which is why hes so good at makign contact...he also works it good inside to outside...which is why its so ironic to see you say he only pulls the ball.

P-L
06-12-2006, 12:39 PM

Morneau has great power but has a lot of problems. His .255/.315/.500 is disappointing, not to mention he is on pace for 131 K. (Although there are a lot of guys striking out like crazy this year)

Tobzilla
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM

:? Mauer may not work the left field line...but he can hit that left center gap when the pitch is there. I really dont' think he has a problems spreading the ball around...I think it just has to do with his quick hands...which allow him to get around very quick on the ball...so he can easily pull it. However when you break down his swing...he is always on a level plain...which is why hes so good at makign contact...he also works it good inside to outside...which is why its so ironic to see you say he only pulls the ball.

I was commenting on Mourneau; Mauer is a great hitter who doesnt pull everything. Sorry for the confusion.

derza222
06-12-2006, 04:56 PM
This year...nah I really don't think he will. Considering he's 23, he's probably more likely than anyone else to do it in the future. Am I saying he definitely will in a few years? No. Am I saying it's impossible? No. You never know, not very likely but tough to rule out as a possibility.