PDA

View Full Version : OT - Question About Coaching Football at The High School Level

ShoeLB50
10-28-2010, 01:45 AM
I am thinking about taking a position as a assistant high school or JV Frosh Head coach here in Michigan. I was wondering if anyone could educate me on the time commitments I will be looking at on the high school level? Thanks!

Brent
10-28-2010, 05:50 AM
I was wondering if anyone could educate me on the time commitments I will be looking at on the high school level?
if you are just coaching and not teaching, it wont be too bad, just irregular hours for a job. if you are coaching and teaching, you will be pretty stressed out because coaching is a commitment of time that few are willing to do.

eaglesalltheway
10-28-2010, 06:58 AM
I was a DL coach after I was finished with football at JV/Freshman and also for middle school for two years. It wasn't a big time consumer by itself, but with working a full time job as well at the time, it filled my schedule. Almost all my late afternoons/evenings from August-November were full, except for weekends, we usually didn't have any practices or meetings that I needed to be at. JV and Freshamn had walkthrough practices that I usually was at, but I didn't have to. (I wasn't getting paid) I also came in to watch the team in the wieght room on occasion when there wasn't anyone to do it. (I may have done it two or three times in 2 years). I enjoyed it, loved coaching and helping the kids that I got to help, but with work, I had no free time, so I stopped after two years. If it'd be your only job (and your getting paid) its definitely worth it, but for me, it was a major part of what took up my time.

yourfavestoner
10-28-2010, 10:26 AM
JV/Frosh ain't too bad, you're only looking at 3-4 hours a day, Mon-Thu. Maybe something quick on Friday, but I doubt it.

Varsity, though, is completely different. You pretty much have to teach to coach varsity football, since the time commitment and hours will **** with your schedule with any other job.

eaglesalltheway
10-28-2010, 01:45 PM
JV/Frosh ain't too bad, you're only looking at 3-4 hours a day, Mon-Thu. Maybe something quick on Friday, but I doubt it.

Varsity, though, is completely different. You pretty much have to teach to coach varsity football, since the time commitment and hours will **** with your schedule with any other job.

If you are a head coach, yes. Many of the coaches were gym/health teachers at my school, and some were substitutes, but yes, for position coaches and most JV/freshamn/middle school coaching spots, you don't HAVE to be employed by the school district.

ShoeLB50
10-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the insight guys I appreciate it!

yourfavestoner
10-28-2010, 10:17 PM
If you are a head coach, yes. Many of the coaches were gym/health teachers at my school, and some were substitutes, but yes, for position coaches and most JV/freshamn/middle school coaching spots, you don't HAVE to be employed by the school district.

When I coached varsity, it felt like I frickin lived at the high school.

jayceheathman
10-29-2010, 12:50 AM
For anyone that wants to be a football coach for a living at the college or pro level should watch this. He only coaches New Mexico State and they only have 1 win all season and he puts in that many hours.

M17jbXp8oMA