PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

vikes_28
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I agree. I don't think there's anything to lose if we sat Favre this week. I mean, we're not dead in the water yet, but we're not going anywhere fast. I would just start T-jack.

Jvig43
10-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Whats the story on Farve this weekend? I heard he has two fractures in his ankle.

yo123
10-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Wait. Favre fractured his ankle!?!?!? ;)

He'll play. He'll hurt his team again. He'll get everyone's hopes up down the stretch only to not come through. Another injury will be discovered. The same thing will happen next week.

All too predictable.

Jvig43
10-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Idk, I think Moss is going to want to make a statement, and Damn is Harvin Looking good. But thanks for the info, good luck Sunday guys.

FuzzyGopher
10-25-2010, 11:37 PM
If Jackson plays he can showcase his ineptitude and inability to play the position thus making him expendable for next season. Highly unlikely, but I can hope can't I?

vikes_28
10-26-2010, 08:06 AM
If Jackson plays he can showcase his ineptitude and inability to play the position thus making him expendable for next season. Highly unlikely, but I can hope can't I?

With our luck, he will play and he will beast.

djp
10-26-2010, 11:56 AM
With our luck, he will play and he will beast.

I don't see the harm in that. I think everyone here can agree that Jackson has the physical tools to succeed, seeing someone actually run the offense correctly last year had to do something for him.

He will probably suck, but you never know. Playing with a chip on your shoulder is always a powerful motivator.

djp
10-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Mike Silver from Yahoo reported that Frazier would have taken over and Childress would have been fired if they'd have lost to Dallas in Week 6. If he loses 2 in a row to Green Bay and New England, I'd have to imagine the same scenario starting to creep up again, wouldn't everyone else?

marshallb
10-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Mike Silver from Yahoo reported that Frazier would have taken over and Childress would have been fired if they'd have lost to Dallas in Week 6. If he loses 2 in a row to Green Bay and New England, I'd have to imagine the same scenario starting to creep up again, wouldn't everyone else?

God damn it!!!!!!!! Why the **** did we have to beat Dallas?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?? I'd have gladly given up that win if it meant no more Chilly.

Now I could care less if we beat New England, I mean yea, I want my team to do well, but I also want Chilly fired like 2 years ago.

djp
10-26-2010, 01:30 PM
So let's say Childress is gone after this year. The obvious replacement would be Leslie Frazier, who I'd be fine with, but I'm not sure the Wilfs would want to keep the same regime in place. Any other names you could think of?

Former HC's

1. Tony Dungy - Match made in heaven, really.
2. Jon Gruden - he runs a similar WCO and has a ring.
3. Steve Mariucci
4. Brian Billick

Assistants

1. Kyle Shanahan
2. Todd Bowles
3. Darrell Bevell (shudder)
4. Joe Philbin
5. Clarence Shelmon

FuzzyGopher
10-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Either Gruden or Dungy would be a great fit. Frazier would be nice, but I think this team needs someone who has proven themselves and has a better resume. And I don't see anyway that Childress gets fired in the middle of season, we're only 2 games out of first and still in the hunt for a wild card. It doesn't make sense to blow this thing up right now, Childress getting fired at the end of the season is much more likely.

marshallb
10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Either Gruden or Dungy would be a great fit. Frazier would be nice, but I think this team needs someone who has proven themselves and has a better resume. And I don't see anyway that Childress gets fired in the middle of season, we're only 2 games out of first and still in the hunt for a wild card. It doesn't make sense to blow this thing up right now, Childress getting fired at the end of the season is much more likely.

I agree with Fuzzy, either of those guys would be great choices and would fit in well. By going with one of them we wouldn't have to go through much, if any kind of a personnel change. If we're looking outside of the organization by not going with Frazier, then we're not going with Bevell, so I see no way he becomes our head coach.

vikes_28
10-26-2010, 09:11 PM
So let's say Childress is gone after this year. The obvious replacement would be Leslie Frazier, who I'd be fine with, but I'm not sure the Wilfs would want to keep the same regime in place. Any other names you could think of?

Former HC's

1. Tony Dungy - Match made in heaven, really.
2. Jon Gruden - he runs a similar WCO and has a ring.
3. Steve Mariucci
4. Brian Billick

Assistants

1. Kyle Shanahan
2. Todd Bowles
3. Darrell Bevell (shudder)
4. Joe Philbin
5. Clarence Shelmon

I would gladly take those as my two head coaches. Jon Gruden is meh. He knows the game, but I don't think he's THAT great of a coach. Steve Mariucci...idk. He doesn't have a very good history of winning.

I would also take Bill Cowher. Tony Dungy would be perfect, but is he ready to coach again?

Ultimately, I would like to see Frazier as our head coach.

Shudder, yes.

marshallb
10-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I don't know that Cowher is a good fit for us. I mean yea, he likes his power run game and we've got the best back in the NFL for that in AP, but he's historically always run a 3-4 and we've got the pieces for a 4-3 cover 2 and there's several guys who would be out of place big time in the 3-4 IMO.

marshallb
10-30-2010, 12:18 PM
So, I'm thinking that the NFL just wants to take a bunch of money from the Vikings. Chilly was fined $35,000 earlier this week, and now Moss was fined $25,000 for not speaking to the media the last two weeks, and Phil Loadholt was fined $20,000 for his facemask on Clay Matthews. Last week Ray Edwards was fined, iirc, $25,000 for spearing someone, and I think another player was fined last week also. I had no idea you could be fined for a simple facemask(it wasn't like he swung him to the ground by his facemask) or a "spear"(which I don't remember happening).

FuzzyGopher
10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Ray Edwards seems to get fined every week. The Moss fine is kind of lame but I see why the rule is in place. The face mask fine seems kind of weird but apparently Load is a repeat offender and twisting someones neck when they are running at full speed seems like it could do some damage.

The_Dude
10-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah, i'm not going to get my hopes up by thinking that Chilly gets the boot during/after this season... especially after they gave him the ill-advised extension last season.

I think that this week was the last best chance to get something going and move towards the playoffs. Now i just hope that my beloved Vikings don't continue to screw things up by winning a bunch of meaningless games from here on out.

FuzzyGopher
10-31-2010, 09:38 PM
I don't think he'll be fired during the season but I'm starting to get the feeling that it will be strongly considered once the season ends. So far this year has been nothing short of a disaster with Favre sucking and the negative attention attracted to this team and Moss looks like he could be a major distraction during the last half of the season. Wilf has to be pretty pissed considering we have one of the highest payrolls in the league and we are 2-5. I used to support Childress based on the fact that he steadily improved this team year after year, but now I'm starting to think that this team had success because it was loaded with talent and not because of Childress.

Vikes99ej
11-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Randy Moss can go suck a dick.

marshallb
11-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Waiving Randy Moss has to be one of the absolute worst moves in the history of the NFL. Let's give up a third round pick for 3 weeks. I wondered what the team would do after he said what he did in the press conference yesterday, but this is just ********. Basically does this not tell your team that you've given up on the season?!?!?!? I don't know how it couldn't have. I'm guessing Childress heard what Moss said and had an ego trip and said **** this, I'm gonna go throw a big ******* hissy-fit and force him off of MY team.

I'm guessing that this signifies that Rice will be back soon, although I have no clue with how ******* ******** Chilly is. Can we just fire Childress right now??? Please Zygi, please just end this misery.

FuzzyGopher
11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Waiving Randy Moss has to be one of the absolute worst moves in the history of the NFL. Let's give up a third round pick for 3 weeks. I wondered what the team would do after he said what he did in the press conference yesterday, but this is just ********. Basically does this not tell your team that you've given up on the season?!?!?!? I don't know how it couldn't have. I'm guessing Childress heard what Moss said and had an ego trip and said **** this, I'm gonna go throw a big ******* hissy-fit and force him off of MY team.

I'm guessing that this signifies that Rice will be back soon, although I have no clue with how ******* ******** Chilly is. Can we just fire Childress right now??? Please Zygi, please just end this misery.

Between this and Herschel Walker I think we have to be sitting at and 1 and 2 right now.

Also like acquiring Moss and Favre, this is just another desperation move. Apparently the players are pissed right now, Childress has officially lost the team. Hopefully the writing is on the wall and this **** stick is on his way out.

djp
11-01-2010, 03:02 PM
Good news:

- Basically seals Childress' fate
- High draft pick (QB?) going to be a possibility

Bad news:

- This is ********
- We look stupid
- Embarrassing

VCU4LIFEGOVIKS
11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Randy Moss-WR- Vikings
Nov. 1 - 2:54 pm et
Vikings waived WR Randy Moss.

The Vikings have given up on Moss just four games after acquiring him for a third-round pick on October 6. After calling out the coaching staff in his Sunday night press conference, Moss didn't travel with his teammates to Minnesota, instead staying in Boston with his family. He's now subject to the waivers process, with any team claiming him on the hook for his $6.4 million salary prorated over the rest of the season. The winless Bills have first dibs, but are not expected to bite. Moss indicated Sunday that he'd like to return to New England, but the Patriots are last in the waiver order. NFL Network's Jason La Canfora mentions Indianapolis and Washington as possible destinations. We'll know by 4PM ET Tuesday if he's been claimed.

Source: Michael Lombardi on Twitter
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Words cant describe how mad I am right now.

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 03:15 PM
€_{[ΠΠ√•&$&@-@*@*@*a. Fml

Dr. Gonzo
11-01-2010, 03:32 PM
I am going to spend the next few days making new email accounts and writing as much letters to the Vikings as I can telling them I refuse to support the team anymore will that ****** **** Childress as our coach.

F
U
C
K

You Childress

fontes
11-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Idk, I think Moss is going to want to make a statement, ...

He sure did

Dr. Gonzo
11-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I just don't know how the ******* guy still has his job. It is baffling to me. How ******* difficult is it to understand that we have not once won a game because of him, we win despite him, and he has lost us many games. All he has even done is make this team worse and yet he still has his job. I am 100 percent serious when I say if I ever see him in person I am punching him in the face and then smashing his manhood.

Dr. Gonzo
11-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Randy Moss can go suck a dick.

How is this at all his fault. I would kill to get a chance to play in the NFL but you better believe if I had Childress as my coach and I was a star player I would do exactly what Moss did. I really want everyone on the team to become more vocal about this ****, I want to see a ******* uprising. ****, ideally I want to see the whole Vikings roster walk of the field next game in protest.

djp
11-01-2010, 03:51 PM
How is this at all his fault. I would kill to get a chance to play in the NFL but you better believe if I had Childress as my coach and I was a star player I would do exactly what Moss did. I really want everyone on the team to become more vocal about this ****, I want to see a ******* uprising. ****, ideally I want to see the whole Vikings roster walk of the field next game in protest.

You have no idea what kind of atmosphere there is in the locker room. Saying that Moss is at no fault is simply speculation at this point. Not saying you aren't right, but putting 100% of the blame on Childress would be short sighted and obtuse at this point. The guy publicly slammed the coaching staff and basically said how he hates Minnesota. No matter what the situation is, you don't bring that to the media.

Dr. Gonzo
11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
You have no idea what kind of atmosphere there is in the locker room. Saying that Moss is at no fault is simply speculation at this point. Not saying you aren't right, but putting 100% of the blame on Childress would be short sighted and obtuse at this point. The guy publicly slammed the coaching staff and basically said how he hates Minnesota. No matter what the situation is, you don't bring that to the media.

I absolutely would. The team has had to deal with Childress not being fired for how many years now? You are right, I don't know the situation in the locker room. I do watch games though, I see the stupid decisions he makes, I hear about his ******** motivational techniques, I read about his ego. If I were a Viking I would not sit back and watch such a talented team wasted, I would speak up. Something needs to be done about Adolf Childress.

Vikes99ej
11-01-2010, 05:23 PM
I don't support what Randy Moss said after yesterday's game, and still don't like how he didn't even try to catch that ball on the PI call. That being said, it would seem to me that cutting him after the game would be a rather rash move, especially when it looks more and more like Rice is going to end up on IR.

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 06:54 PM
**** Childress. I just can't believe he still has a job...it makes me so mad that he still has a job. We have such a good team...and we have only won two games this year...the team needs to give up on him already. UGH

pete_norm
11-01-2010, 07:05 PM
It's pretty damn tough some days to be a Vikings fan... :(

Monomach
11-01-2010, 07:07 PM
NFL Network's Jason La Canfora mentions Indianapolis and Washington as possible destinations.Oh, that would be so wrong. Manning, Moss, and Wayne. Oh, god, no.

yo123
11-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Everything I'm hearing is pointing towards Childress being fired.

Jason Whitlock via Twitter
Schefter says Moss open 2 returning. Glazer says Vikes players livid w/Chilly. Chilly didn't clear w/bosses = Chilly getting fired, y'all.

Adam Schefter via Twitter
Those who know Zygi Wilf say Vikings owner is angry his team plans to waive the player that he wanted, and worked to bring back, to Minn.

Yeah Chilly, nice try but you aren't overriding the boss. Nice knowing ya.

djp
11-01-2010, 07:37 PM
It's more of a hope than a possibility, but the longer this goes on, the more likely it is that Childress will be gone. Maybe he's fired already and they're sorting out what Frazier and who (if anyone) would take over on defense.

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Is it possible that Leslie Frazier becomes our coach and then Tony Dungy becomes our GM? I think that'd be a really cool deal.

pete_norm
11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
It seems It's official Now. It's all over twitter.

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
It seems It's official Now. It's all over twitter.

Can you please post some of these. As I do not have twitter.

GB12
11-01-2010, 08:47 PM
They're in the NFL forum thread

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Well ****. We're in even bigger trouble next week. Harvin is going to be out, Rice is out, Moss is...That leaves us with Greg Lewis, Greg Camarillo, and Shiancoe...Now what do we do?

djp
11-01-2010, 09:39 PM
Well ****. We're in even bigger trouble next week. Harvin is going to be out, Rice is out, Moss is...That leaves us with Greg Lewis, Greg Camarillo, and Shiancoe...Now what do we do?

http://ladiesdotdotdot.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/adrian-peterson1.jpg

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 09:39 PM

Good point.

Either way. Favre doesn't have anyone to throw to.

djp
11-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Good point.

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Third time for good luck?

BuckNaked
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
Good point.

I say we just let Tarvaris and his group of bandits run wild. Let's bring back Bobby Wade and Robert "the slowest receiver to walk the earth" Ferguson.

vikes_28
11-01-2010, 09:42 PM
I say we just let Tarvaris and his group of bandits run wild. Let's bring back Bobby Wade and Robert "the slowest receiver to walk the earth" Ferguson.

Javan "weak knees" Walker!!!

djp
11-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Worst part about this is that we can easily finish 8-8 still.

BuckNaked
11-01-2010, 09:47 PM

No. **** that. 0-9 from here on out, Childress can go **** himself.

yo123
11-01-2010, 11:46 PM

Easily. The rest of the schedule is a joke. We could just as easily finish 6-10 though with the way we've been playing.

Realistically I think we beat Arizona, Chicago, Buffalo, Washington, and Chicago again and lose to the Giants, Packers, and Lions to finish 7-9. Hooray for mediocrity!

FuzzyGopher
11-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Just looking at the schedule I see 4 more wins but I can easily see this team quitting on Childress and completely tanking.

vikes_28
11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
I guess Wilf supports Childress now, along with some of the players. I guess moss' actions were "brash" in the locker room.

vikes_28
11-02-2010, 09:34 AM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs631.snc4/59127_140215019355990_140208229356669_207055_73629 99_n.jpg

djp
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
J Mike, I got your rep message, just posting back here to respond to your question since I have to spread it around.

Yes, I think 9-7 can win the division, but I see no way this team finishes above .500 at this point. There is just too much nonsense going around and team morale appears to be at an all-time low.

Let's say we fire Childress, Frazier takes over, Favre continues to play well like on Sunday, and our pass rush gets going. Sure, I could see us taking the division if all those things happen, but that appears extremely unlikely at this point. I'm guessing we'll finish 7-9, with our 4 losses coming to GB, NYG, @PHI, and one of the 2 Bears games (Peppers will destroy us at least once).

J-Mike88
11-03-2010, 01:08 PM
The media hammered Chilly today:

We've said it time and again -- pro football coaches lie when lying suits their interests. Every once in a while, a football coach gets caught in a lie.

On Wednesday, Vikings coach Brad Childress met with the media for the first time since cutting receiver Randy Moss, and Childress essentially admitted that he lied to them on Monday about Moss' status with the team.

Specifically, Childress met with the media on Monday at 12:30 p.m. CT, and he said nothing to suggest that Moss may be in trouble. Then, immediately after the press conference, Childress went to tell the team that Moss was out.

"As long as the right people are contacted in the right order, I think that's important," Childress said after being lectured (and we liked it) by one member of the media regarding the fact that he essentially lied to the fans. "Obviously it wouldn't have served a purpose to come out here and tell you guys and have you go run with it before the dominoes start to go down," Childress said.

Though it obviously was deceptive, Childress said, "It's not an attempt to deceive."

And it all easily could have been avoided. Move the meeting to before the press conference, or the press conference to after the meeting. But Childress, in our view, didn't want to face the music when the news was fresh. So he gladly lied to the media on Monday, and how he's hiding behind a chain-of-command-style excuse for not being honest.

Childress refused to get into any of the details regarding the decision to dump Moss, other than to say, "It didn't work out." The assembled reporters tried their best to get Childress to elaborate, with Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune at one point asking Childress how he was "duped, fooled, whatever" regarding Moss.

Childress was careful to point out the names of personnel decisions that have worked, explaining, "Some work out and some don't work out. And some end up being short term and some end up being long term.

So what didn't work out?

"I'm not gonna get into a lot of the particulars," Childress said. "I'm not gonna do that. It's done, it's other with. . . . It's a decision I had to make."

Childress said he didn't speak to Moss about the move, but that Childress made multiple phone calls and sent text messages in an effort to reach him. Eventually, V.P. of player personnel Rick Spielman spoke with Moss.

At one point, Childress called it "a programmatic non-fit."

Plenty of fans likely believe that same term applies to Childress himself. And more and more fans in Minnesota soon could decide that the term also applies to the entire franchise.

pete_norm
11-03-2010, 01:51 PM
For what it's worth, i think it's pretty presumptuous for the media to think they are entitled to every information, all the time, no matter what the consequences...

Childess had to retain the information until he informed the team ownership and the players, then he talked to the media. If he had done the opposite, he would have been blasted for informing the players through the media... Either way, he can't win.

pete_norm
11-03-2010, 01:53 PM
One other thing, it's pretty funny from Mike Florio to accuse someone of lying when all his web sites does, most of the time, is publishing "rumors" and "reports". Until, they are proven true, both the rumors and reports could be considered lies as well...

vikes_28
11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
It's going to be interesting when the vikes return to Minny this weekend. I really hope that everyone is wearing "fire chilly" shirts and chants "fire chilly" the whole game.

The_Dude
11-03-2010, 09:01 PM
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2pcuLOk6Wc&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N2pcuLOk6Wc&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

FuzzyGopher
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
http://deadspin.com/5681041/the-10-worst-long+tenured-head-coaches-of-the-past-20-years

Pretty funny article.

djp
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
http://deadspin.com/5681041/the-10-worst-long+tenured-head-coaches-of-the-past-20-years

Pretty funny article.

As an enthusiast of The Wire, I absolutely laughed my ass off at the Senator Clay Davis/Denny Green line. Absolutely classic. I just need to hear Denny say
"Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet" now.

marshallb
11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Oh Childress, you ******* ******:

How do you compensate for Moss' loss on the field?

BC: We've got Hank Baskett, who has been inactive. We'll elevate his turns and get him in the mix. He'll help us there and he'll help us on special teams.

Once again, Hank Baskett - the hero. Gonna save us from this dreaded season and make us forget all about Randy Moss. I wonder if this guy actually believes any of the ******** that comes out of his mouth...

FuzzyGopher
11-05-2010, 04:20 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder reports #Vikings WR Randy Moss' placement on waivers was delayed so Zygi Wilf could weigh keeping Moss and firing Childress
18 minutes ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply.
http://twitter.com/#!/tompelissero

That seat Childress is on must feel like Venus.

Dr. Gonzo
11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
ESPN's Ed Werder reports #Vikings WR Randy Moss' placement on waivers was delayed so Zygi Wilf could weigh keeping Moss and firing Childress
18 minutes ago via TweetDeck Favorite Retweet Reply.
http://twitter.com/#!/tompelissero

That seat Childress is on must feel like Venus.

Damn. That situation very nearly turned into best case scenario for me. I never thought myself to be this fan but at this point I wouldn't say I am cheering for losses but I am certainly not going to be too excited about wins.

J-Mike88
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Since the Titans are the team that claimed Moss, and they have a winning record, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that mean that all the teams with an even or losing record passed on claiming the guy right?

And that's for free, no draft pick at all to be lost for it. None of those 15-18 teams even wanted him for free.

Does that make any of you feel better at all?

FuzzyGopher
11-05-2010, 05:14 PM
No, because they reason a lot of them probably passed on him was because he pissed off enough people in a 4 week span to be kicked off 2 teams. If the Patriots had outright cut him and he hadn't been traded here there might have been a lot more interest in him.

General Zod
11-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Its hard for me to judge how good or bad Toby Gerhart is. Our offensive line is so bad. Peterson basically gets every yard he gets, on his own. And if you put an average RB to run behind that line, they have no chance. And I hear "He's got to hit the hole faster". Um, what hole would that be? Thats no hole, you try running the ball behind Phil Loadholt back peddling on to you.

Now Im not totally sticking up for him either. I know even for a rookie there are things he could improve on. Im just gonna give him some time before I totally pass judgment.

We just miss Chester Taylor so bad since we suck so much on 3rd down. And Peterson cannot pass block.

yo123
11-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Hole or not, you can just tell he has absolutely no burst. There has been a few times I've seen him have a hole and he hits it at the speed I would imagine Pat Williams would hit it at.

marshallb
11-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Hole or not, you can just tell he has absolutely no burst. There has been a few times I've seen him have a hole and he hits it at the speed I would imagine Pat Williams would hit it at.

I would agree with this. I have not been impressed by Toby one bit, but I will also wait and give him more of a chance. I've just been getting really pissed at how many snaps he's been given recently.

vikes_28
11-10-2010, 12:57 PM
was watching the replay on NFL network today. Harvin is sex. Berrian and the defensive line finally woke up.

djp
11-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Like I said in the NFL forum thread, you guys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too down on Gerhart right now. First off, he's a rookie in the NFL playing behind a mediocre offensive line. If he is utilized correctly, he should be able to give the team 10 carries for 40-50 yards a game while being an excellent pass blocker. I realize he's not there yet, but he doesn't have the raw physical ability to wow you. He needs to be patient, get stronger and faster, and it will come. One thing that Childress has done in his time here is develop rookies. Gerhart is a great fit for our system, give the guy a break for now.

yo123
11-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Meh, he's a RB so I'm not too worried about judging him early. RB is the easiest position to make the transition to the NFL by far. I think we could have picked someone up in the later rounds that could give us exactly what you just described.

vikes_28
11-10-2010, 01:49 PM
also, was bevell calling the plays on sunday?

djp
11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Meh, he's a RB so I'm not too worried about judging him early. RB is the easiest position to make the transition to the NFL by far. I think we could have picked someone up in the later rounds that could give us exactly what you just described.

I didn't see the need to trade up either, but we have him now. Take a look at the guys drafted after Gerhart. The only 2 similarly graded backs were Ben Tate and Monterrio Hardesty, and they didn't last long after Gerhart. Then, there was a huge drop off in RB's (depending on how you graded them, of course). Ben Tate would have been a good fit, but there were durability and pass blocking concerns. Was never a Hardesty fan. I think the Vikings basically chose between Tate, Hardesty, and Gerhart. Gerhart was the most familiar with the system and arguably the safest bet to at least be a goal line back. He's also the most marketable because he's white.

marshallb
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Heard about this earlier on ESPN Radio this evening, and saw the article on ESPN.com now:
Report: Vikings coach Brad Childress not player favorite (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5789738)

Some quotes from annonymous players and team sources:
"We know that [Brad] Childress doesn't have our backs, so why should we have his?" one player told the newspaper. "We're playing for us, and we're winning despite him."

"He has absolutely no people skills," one team source said.

Six Vikings players told the Sun-Times they would like Childress to be fired but they won't give up on their teammates.

"We got too many good football players, and we won't lay down like Dallas," one player told the newspaper.

"As much as I hate Childress," another player told the Sun-Times, "I will keep playing."

FuzzyGopher
11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
I think it's safe to say he won't be back next year. Now it's really just a matter of when he gets fired, I think it will be closer to end the of the season. But you never know, some even crazier stuff could happen and he could get canned next week.

the_legend_killer
11-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I chuckled at the Dallas jab.

FuzzyGopher
11-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Haha, someone at Direct TV screwed up. If only it were true :(

http://img602.imageshack.us/img602/8211/tumblrlbqcdphmny1qze8xk.jpg (http://img602.imageshack.us/i/tumblrlbqcdphmny1qze8xk.jpg/)

djp
11-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Pat Williams reminds me of a late 80s/early 90s Miami Hurricane.

It's safe to say after today's locker room access period that outspoken Vikings nose tackle Pat Williams isn't a big fan of unnamed sources.

Asked about the Chicago Sun-Times story in which reporter Sean Jensen, a former Vikings' beat writer, cited six unnamed Vikings as saying the players don't like coach Brad Childress and believe he should be fired, Williams went off, saying:

"I don't know. That's just all reports. Ain't no names. That's Sean Jensen. So that's what Sean Jensen do. He ain't going to give nobody no names. So I really don't pay no attention to that. That's all he-say, she-say stuff. He ain't going to put no names put out there, so I don't know if it' true or not. That's like somebody say I'm ***, but they don't have to tell me who said it. I don't know. But they're going to believe it. They going to believe it. If somebody starts that rumor, they're going to believe it. So that's how it is. That's all rumor. They not going to tell me who said it, so I don't know."

Williams also was asked about former Vikings running back Chester Taylor, who now plays for the Bears.

"I don't care about no Chester," he said. "He's not on our team, so I really don't care about him. if you aren't on the Vikings, I don't care about you. ... That's how I roll.

"Chester don't even start, so we don't worry about him right now. He ain't the starting running back. He's the backup, so we're going to try and put the other back out and put Chester in there. At the end of the day, we don't worry about Chester."

As for the Bears' struggling offensive line ...

"That's their problem. It' ain't our problem," Williams said. "So I'm glad we don't got their problems. We're just going to line up and keep making them have problems. That's our main goal."

As for whether he's talked to Taylor ...

"I don't talk to him. I don't call him to see how he's doing," Williams said. "He don't call me, so what would I call him for. He's gone. I ain't going to waste my breath calling him. That's a waste of time to call him. At the end of the day, I hope he's doing bad. He's probably thinking the same thing about me. If he ain't thinking that way, that's his bad. That's how I'm thinking on Sunday. That's how it is. I'm going to speak the truth. I ain't going to lie."

But there is one person Williams is OK with in Chicago: former Vikings coach Mike Tice, who is now the Bears' offensive line coach.

"I love Tice," Williams said. "I ain't got no problem with Tice. he was my head coach. There's no problem. Me and Tice are cool. ... I still love Tice. We're just trying to go in there and beat him, But he's a good offensive line coach."

Vikes99ej
11-11-2010, 03:31 PM
Pat is such a boss. Too bad he sucks this year.

GB12
11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
So...2011 Vikings Head Coach: Mike Tice

General Zod
11-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Well Pat, as a Vikings fan I miss the hell out of Chester Taylor. As a offensive whole, we miss the hell out of Chester Taylor. Think about that Sunday when Chester runs by you while he converts on big 3rd down for the Bears.

And yes Pat dont worry about their problems, we have plenty of our own. Like you, sucking ass this season. Or the fact there our vaulted D-line cant get any pressure at all this season. And, we are not near as stout agaisnt the run this year, And....

General Zod
11-11-2010, 07:18 PM
So...2011 Vikings Head Coach: Mike Tice

As sorry as it is, he would be an improvement over Childress.

Tice would probably run the damn ball.

vikes_28
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Yellow submarined: NFL fines Vikings' Bernard Berrian $5,000 for fashion faux pas

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16575965

The NFL has fined Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Bernard Berrian $5,000 for wearing yellow cleats Sunday, Berrian told the Pioneer Press.

Per NFL rules, Vikings players must wear black- or purple-colored cleats during games. Berrian said he will not wear his yellow cleats again during games.

Berrian had a productive game in those cleats with nine catches for 89 yards.

**** the NFL. Those cleats were ******* awesome. And he should keep wearing them if it makes him have as good a game as he did.

General Zod
11-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah I gotta agree, those shoes went well with the all purples they were wearing.

Vikes99ej
11-14-2010, 06:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5806520

And my interest in the season slowly begins to disappear...

FuzzyGopher
11-14-2010, 09:05 PM
It says he isn't considering firing Childress, hopefully that means that he's already decided be is going to do it.

The_Dude
11-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Things should really get juicy when the Vikes drop the home game to the Packers next week.

vikes_28
11-14-2010, 10:04 PM
not that this pertains to us at all. But I kind of hope chilly gets fired. Cause the cowboys found success with garrett today, why couldn't we find success with Frazier?

BuckNaked
11-14-2010, 10:09 PM
not that this pertains to us at all. But I kind of hope chilly gets fired. Cause the cowboys found success with garrett today, why couldn't we find success with Frazier?

Because Jason Garrett's an offensive genius..duh.

Dr. Gonzo
11-14-2010, 11:39 PM
I do not want to see Frazier as the next head coach so be honest if we stick with Chilldress and keep losing, all the better. Bring in a guy like Harbaugh or Fox, with a high draft pick and I could see next year being exciting.

vikes_28
11-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Ehhhhhh giving up a pick for a coach? I'll pass on that. I would rather get a top 10 qb

princefielder28
11-15-2010, 09:36 AM
After this season you guys need to completely clean house of the current staff and that includes Leslie Frazier...granted the secondary isn't that deep or good, but he has done nothing to make up for the problems that the front four is having and that is exposing the secondary for what they are...he had success early on as coordinator but the defense's play has gone downhill quick...considering you guys will more than likely bring in a young QB, i think the idea of Jim Harbaugh is a great idea

The_Dude
11-16-2010, 10:27 PM
After this season you guys need to completely clean house of the current staff and that includes Leslie Frazier...granted the secondary isn't that deep or good, but he has done nothing to make up for the problems that the front four is having and that is exposing the secondary for what they are...he had success early on as coordinator but the defense's play has gone downhill quick...considering you guys will more than likely bring in a young QB, i think the idea of Jim Harbaugh is a great idea

This. I could do away with the entire coaching staff.

Dream coach... Tony Dungy. Maybe he would be tempted to come back with some management power.

FuzzyGopher
11-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Give me Gruden and I'll be the happiest unicorn enthusiast this side of the Mississippi.

vikes_28
11-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm keeping my sig until childress is fired.

J-Mike88
11-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm keeping my sig until childress is fired.
You'll like this one v_28!
In fact, I might SMELL a new sig or avatar from someone here soon.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?page=hotread10/Vikings

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1116/nfl_hot_read_576.jpg

prock
11-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I would be all for Frazier being gone too.

J-Mike88
11-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Would you guys rather turn to T-Jack next year, use a #1 pick on a Mallett or Locker or another athletic one in Cam Newton, or would you rather trade that #1 pick for Kevin Kolb?

Just curious what the sampling here is in Viking Country on those QBs.

Me personally, I'd bet more on Kolb than any of those rookies, and that includes Andrew Luck who will go before your pick. He could be another Trent Edwards or Joey Harrington.

Kolb has at least shown some good stuff at the NFL level already.

vikes_28
11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
I would like to see Tavaris Jackson get some more snaps this year to see if the need is there for a QB. But if Chilly gets fired, I would imagine whichever coach comes in will want to move on with another QB. I would take Locker or Mallett. Especially with Rice and Harvin as deep threats.

Vikes99ej
11-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Yes, give me Locker or Mallett. No Newton.

prock
11-18-2010, 12:56 PM
I would definitely take Newton.

The Dynasty
11-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I would like to see Tavaris Jackson get some more snaps this year to see if the need is there for a QB. But if Chilly gets fired, I would imagine whichever coach comes in will want to move on with another QB. I would take Locker or Mallett. Especially with Rice and Harvin as deep threats.

As much as I would like to see Tavaris Get more snaps this year, I just dont see it happening. Childress is pretty much fighting for his job right now and He wont use Tarvaris to see what the future might hold for T-jack and not himself.

As for the other question... Give me Mallet or Locker. No to Newton though. He is a fun QB to watch right now but Im just not a big fan of his game transferring to the NFL. Like Mallet and Locker. Also No to 1st rounder to Kolb. Maybe a 2 and a 4 but Not a 1st. But I dont see us trading for Kolb.

J-Mike88
11-18-2010, 02:47 PM
As much as I would like to see Tavaris Get more snaps this year, I just dont see it happening. Childress is pretty much fighting for his job right now and He wont use Tarvaris to see what the future might hold for T-jack and not himself.
Well I hope we take care of all that for you, as we did to Dallas getting Wade Phillips ass finally kicked to the curb.

We rout you guys.
Chilly is thrown out the door.
You give an honest look at T-Jack with the current team, to evaluate him and see if you can live with him or need to bring in a "Franchise QB".

GB12
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I think trading anything more than a third for Kolb would be a mistake. And since you don't have a third anymore, I wouldn't even look there.

General Zod
11-18-2010, 03:52 PM
I want Ryan Mallett no where near this team.

Thank you, that is all.

Vikes99ej
11-18-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't want Kolb either. I'd be quite content with Locker, Luck or Mallett. I don't know much about Nick Foles yet.

djp
11-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't think they would like Cam Newton.

They would obviously want Luck, but he ain't gonna be there.

So that leaves Mallett versus Locker.. I think they would struggle with that decision, personally. Assuming Locker comes back from injury and plays better than he did before. They'd probably go with Locker, the skill set is just too tempting to pass up.

BuckNaked
11-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Locker Locker Locker Locker. Keep me away from Mallet please.

djp
11-18-2010, 04:32 PM

I don't know where this team will head on offense, but it would make sense to try to pick up somebody who knows how to run the West Coast. We have a lot of good players for that system. That would be one positive for Mallett. Being that tall and being able to angle your ball downwards on slants/square-ins makes it easier. I would definitely prefer Locker though, I agree with you. Just something to think about with Mallett.

FuzzyGopher
11-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Mallett is eerily similar to Derek Anderson. I would love it if we brought in Gruden, drafted Locker, and took the best safety available in the second. Our secondary is pathetic at creating turnovers, the person that leads the team in interceptions is ******* EJ Henderson.

Crazy_Chris
11-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I want Ryan Mallett no where near this team.

Thank you, that is all.

Mallett is eerily similar to Derek Anderson. I would love it if we brought in Gruden, drafted Locker, and took the best safety available in the second. Our secondary is pathetic at creating turnovers, the person that leads the team in interceptions is ******* EJ Henderson.

I agree keep Ryan Mallet away from this team.

yo123
11-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I don't like Mallet or Locker quite frankly. Give me Newton.

FuzzyGopher
11-18-2010, 06:59 PM
The thing about Newton is, would anybody know who the hell he was if he wasn't rushing for 200 yards a game? He's an intriguing prospect for sure, but nothing he does on the field shows me that he can make the transition to the NFL. I may be completely wrong but all I ever see him do is run the zone read and make one read throws to wide open guys. He hasn't shown (in his defense he hasn't really needed to show) that he can read a defense and go through his reads.

the_legend_killer
11-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Well boys, lets enjoy the name of this thread for another month and a half or so.

Vikes99ej
11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Loadholt is a bust. I'm just going to say it.

vikes_28
11-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I think Locker and Luck both have potential to be a bust...kind of like Joey Harrington.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 07:48 PM
I think Locker and Luck both have potential to be a bust...kind of like Joey Harrington.
All Pac-10 quarterbacks by the way, just like Ryan Leaf. And Matt Leinart. And Kyle Boller, Akili Smith, and JD Booty....Vewwy interesting....

BuckNaked
11-21-2010, 08:06 PM
All Pac-10 quarterbacks by the way, just like Ryan Leaf. And Matt Leinart. And Kyle Boller, Akili Smith, and JD Booty....Vewwy interesting....

JDB can't be a bust considering everyone knew he sucked coming in.

J-Mike88
11-21-2010, 09:37 PM
JDB can't be a bust considering everyone knew he sucked coming in.
Hey now, he kept the charismatic Mark Sanchez on the bench there at USC except for Sanchez' last year there!

cvv84
11-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Ahem... Aaron Rodgers

drowe
11-22-2010, 11:36 AM
congrats guys!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/22/vikings-fire-brad-childress/

marshallb
11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Just saw that. SOOOOOOO Fricken happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This and a couple other reasons have made this my best day in a long, long time. I just about screamed "YESSSSSSS!!!!!!" out loud in my computer apps class when I saw it.

FuzzyGopher
11-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Next is step to to get a GM in here. No more of this triangle of authority ********.

djp
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok, name of the thread is switched. We bragged enough with the thread name, now it's time to take our beating.

Also, don't think we'll get a GM unless they pick up Dungy and keep Frazier or something. I think Wilf will use that card when he is searching for a new coach, somebody like Jon Gruden would probably want it.

J-Mike88
11-22-2010, 05:27 PM
I expect Leslie Frazier to stay your head coach for awhile.

Dr. Gonzo
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I was made very happy by this news and I really hope Frazier proves me wrong because I do not see him as a coach who will ever bring us to the Superbowl.

Vikes99ej
11-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Ok, name of the thread is switched. We bragged enough with the thread name, now it's time to take our beating.

Also, don't think we'll get a GM unless they pick up Dungy and keep Frazier or something. I think Wilf will use that card when he is searching for a new coach, somebody like Jon Gruden would probably want it.

I always thought Spielman was our GM... guess I was wrong. Can't really think of a good candidate right now, but I think Frazier will do a good job motivating our players for the moment.

FuzzyGopher
11-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Spielman is Vice President of player personnel. A true GM would be the boss of the head coach and be below only the owner.

The_Dude
11-22-2010, 06:59 PM
i would love to see Dungy in that GM/President/Football Czar role. Hell, I may even be willing to let Parcells take that role for a couple - few years. We need a "football guy" in charge of this operation.

princefielder28
11-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I expect Leslie Frazier to stay your head coach for awhile.

I doubt it..it hasn't been part of any solution this year but at least he has the players' respect so that's why he's given a chance but I don't see him doing enough to hold the position

FuzzyGopher
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Dungy already came out and said he wasn't interested so you can cross him off the list. Some radio host on Kfan said Zygi has already contacted Parcells but it's just a rumor at this point.

Crazy_Chris
11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
I think Leslie will be retained as the Head Coach considering all the uncertainity due to the looming lockout. Not sure how good he will be but I am pretty sure he is going to be given a shot at being the guy.

yodabear
11-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I was made very happy by this news and I really hope Frazier proves me wrong because I do not see him as a coach who will ever bring us to the Superbowl.

Well, he will just join the club....with every other coach the Vikings have had. BOOOOOOOOOOM!

Dr. Gonzo
11-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Well, he will just join the club....with every other coach the Vikings have had. BOOOOOOOOOOM!

Hahaha saw that one coming. One day sir, one day. I really have gotten used to being perennially disappointed by the Vikes though.

yodabear
11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Hahaha saw that one coming. One day sir, one day. I really have gotten used to being perennially disappointed by the Vikes though.

I kid only cuz I love. The Vikings will win a super bowl before I die....

vikes_28
11-22-2010, 08:28 PM
edit: *** photobucket.

Crazy_Chris
11-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I saw Anthony Herrera is done for the year, so now we get Ryan Cook in there to help us get a higher pick.

Also in case anyone didn't see Fred Pagac(Linebacker coach) was named the new Defensive coordinator.

FuzzyGopher
11-24-2010, 05:32 PM
Why don't the put DeGeare in for Herrera? We already know Cook sucks and DeGeare had a strong training camp.

General Zod
11-24-2010, 06:06 PM
Why don't the put DeGeare in for Herrera? We already know Cook sucks and DeGeare had a strong training camp.

I agree fully. I want to get all those "Childress guys" off the team. Cook, Jackson, Lewis, Baskett, etc..

J-Mike88
11-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Dungy already came out and said he wasn't interested so you can cross him off the list. Some radio host on Kfan said Zygi has already contacted Parcells but it's just a rumor at this point.
What do you guys think of Chucky?
I love the guy, but he's an asshole. But I like that in a coach.
Until the players quit on them.

Could Zygi Wilf make up for his "clumsily" delivered announcement of Leslie Frazier with a bigger announcement down the road? That might be the only way that Wilf, who despite the dire economy will push again for a new stadium in the next state legislative session, can sell hope for this team to the public. ... The most likely guy, if Wilf goes that route, would seem to be Jon Gruden, as coach. If Wilf were able to entice Gruden, who coached Tampa Bay to a Super Bowl championship, Gruden certainly would require control over personnel decisions. That way, Wilf could leave his current front office, for the most part, intact. Gruden's price tag could be $30 million over five years.

Minneapolis Star Tribune
Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/250550?eref=sircrc#ixzz16G19BZRT

vikes_28
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I think Gruden would be a good coach, but I don't want all the ****** QB's that he brings in. I want a QB who can be the face of the franchise for years to come.

FuzzyGopher
11-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I would love to get Gruden, he seems like a great fit. He runs a WCO and ran cover 2 in Tampa so it's a lateral move in terms of systems, although I'm sure his offense is infinitely more complex than Childress'. We have 2 great receivers, a great running back and a good tight end. All he would need to do is shore up the offense line and hand pick his QB. It seems like a great situation to come into if you're a veteran head coach that doesn't want to have to do a complete rebuild of a team.

vikes_28
11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm not so sure how i feel about Jake Locker anymore. I'm thinking trading up for Luck or taking the risk on Newton would be the best idea.

Crazy_Chris
11-26-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm not so sure how i feel about Jake Locker anymore. I'm thinking trading up for Luck or taking the risk on Newton would be the best idea.

Assuming Andrew Luck actually declares for the draft which is far from certain. Trading up for Luck is going to be extremely difficult to do if a QB Needy team ends up with the first pick. Especially considering the Vikes will probably end 6-10 or 7-9 and very well could be outside of the top 10.

As for Cam Newton I really like what I see when I watch, but I just can't get completely behind him as our pick. He still has 1 or 2(Likely) games left to play, but I really just don't think the team should be banking it's future on a guy who attempted about 250 passes all from a non-pro style offense.

vikes_28
11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
just out of sheer curiosity...can the vikings forum not have so many stickied threads? it's disappointing when me or someone else makes a thread and no one sees it.

General Zod
12-02-2010, 10:04 PM
just out of sheer curiosity...can the vikings forum not have so many stickied threads? it's disappointing when me or someone else makes a thread and no one sees it.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

djp
12-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Done. Leaving the specific team discussions up so people don't create new threads.

MNtoWA Guy
12-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Anybody else here think despite our 2 victories against pretty bad teams we are going to be hard pressed to finish 1-2 through our next 3 games? All those teams are playoff bound with tough defenses and we might be going into this stretch with T-Jack at the helm. I remember the last time Jackson face a Philly defense and the results were not pretty at all.

FuzzyGopher
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
I see us finishing out 1-3 with the one win against Detroit, and we could lose that game as well. The next 3 games are against legit playoff teams fighting for the lead in their respective divisions, we are going to get their A game.

MNtoWA Guy
12-05-2010, 05:43 PM
^Agree. Although I could see a possibly victory vs. the either the Giants or Bears and a let-down loss to the Lions. For some reason we have played decent vs the giants the last few years and had some big wins. Plus it would be a home game.

djp
12-05-2010, 06:18 PM
I think we'll beat Chicago and Detroit. Chicago = 2nd easiest schedule in the NFL with numerous lucky breaks along the way. Although that means nothing if we can't block Peppers or get Cutler to the ground.

MNtoWA Guy
12-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Yeah, the Vikings have done a good job of making Cutler look like an all-pro QB.

Vikes99ej
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Right now I honestly don't know who we should go with at quarterback. T-Jack is erratic at times, but his mobility gives us so much more than Favre. I am almost leaning towards Jackson just because of how much damage Favre has taken this year, and it's pretty much guaranteed we won't make the playoffs.

prock
12-06-2010, 04:14 PM
I want Favre in. Tavaris is ******* terrible. Favre has been too, but at least he has potential to do something good once in awhile.

prock
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
And yes I would put a heavy sum of money on the Bears game. We will beat them at home. The Bears just aren't that good. We are playing way better. We actually play hard now. I would say we win this game close, even if T-Var plays.

General Zod
12-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I didnt get to watch most of the game, my live feed kept freezing up so I kept up on the game with game tracker. So help me out here.

How did Brian Robinson do in place of Edwards? How did Chris Degeare look? I seen a false start on him. I know Joe Webb got hurt, did he get any playing time?

Dr. Gonzo
12-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I really liked what I saw out of Robison.

vikes_28
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
adrian peterson is a freak.

MNtoWA Guy
12-06-2010, 08:24 PM
With what I have seen out of Robison and Everson Griffen in their limited snaps I am not concerned with Ray Edwards leaving. Last year he had a decent season and a strong playoff showing, but this year he has been pretty invisible. Plus, he is going to want way too much money, which we will need to lock-up Greenway and possibly bring back Leber as well.

I too kinda want Favre to sit this next one out. We need to see what we have in T-Jack and he needs to show us against a quality opponent and defense. Plus, a sprained sternoclavicular joint is not something to take lightly. I'm a physical therapist, so I know a little something about injuries and anatomy. The joint Favre injured is the only bony attachment the shoulder complex has to the skeleton. Plus, he is going to have major pain everytime he tries to lift that arm, kinda hard to throw then.

MNtoWA Guy
12-06-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_16790859
(sorry, link might not work if you are not a member)

Vikes sign Lorenzo Booker from UFL Hartford team.

Why?

I thought the whole point was to have Toby get more involved on 3rd downs. Plus we have Albert Young, who actually looked pretty good (if not better than Gerhart) during preseason. Kinda a head scratcher move at this point in the season.

marshallb
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I didnt get to watch most of the game, my live feed kept freezing up so I kept up on the game with game tracker. So help me out here.

How did Brian Robinson do in place of Edwards? How did Chris Degeare look? I seen a false start on him. I know Joe Webb got hurt, did he get any playing time?

I thought Robison played very well, nothing special, but very solid. He got a handful of pressures. DeGeare looked ok, nothing superb, but he didn't have any major ****-ups, this was our best running performance of the season as a whole, but I'm guessing that had a lot more to do with the fact that we played the Bills than anything. Webb didn't play much, he had a nice return on the opening kickoff and then we faked an end around to him on either the first or second play, and that was it, he pulled his hammy somewhere in there and didn't return.

marshallb
12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_16790859

Why?

I thought the whole point was to have Toby get more involved on 3rd downs. Plus we have Albert Young, who actually looked pretty good (if not better than Gerhart) during preseason. Kinda a head scratcher move at this point in the season.

From the Star Tribune:
Meanwhile, Frazier said running back Toby Gerhart suffered a strained hamstring but is expected to be fine.

I'm guessing that they're just gonna bring him in just to be safe in case Toby needs more rest. Peterson isn't at 100% yet and Gerhart isn't at 100% now. It doesn't really hurt anything, we're not going anywhere, so we might as well get a look at a few of these guys who could help out next year.

BuckNaked
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
And we waived Albert Young. Thank god I couldn't stand him. I was actually a big Booker fan coming out of college so we'll see with him.

FuzzyGopher
12-07-2010, 06:09 PM
He was put on IR not waived. Maybe he'll be back next year!

vikes_28
12-07-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm guessing that they're just gonna bring him in just to be safe in case Toby needs more rest. Peterson isn't at 100% yet and Gerhart isn't at 100% now. It doesn't really hurt anything, we're not going anywhere, so we might as well get a look at a few of these guys who could help out next year.

Peterson ran for 3 TD's and over 100 yards on Sunday. I think it's safe to say he's pretty darn close to 100%. :p

vikes_28
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
How would you guys feel about Albert Haynesworth. Worth the money?

General Zod
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
How would you guys feel about Albert Haynesworth. Worth the money?

Not unless we got him cheap, but I dont see that happening. I seen that Judd tweaked that Brian Robinson has earned himself more playing time even when Ray Edwards gets healthy. Im all for this. Edwards wont be here next season and in spot duty Robinson has looked good. Plus I still wanna see more time for Everson as well.

marshallb
12-08-2010, 03:09 PM
Yea, Everson Griffen has looked damn good in his limited time. He doesn't get many snaps and I don't think he has a sack yet, but he's beaten the OT pretty much every time I've seen him in there. I like what we've been doing this past couple games defensively. It seems like we're rotating our D-linemen a lot more and it seems to be paying off in the way of pressures, but not necessarily sacks yet. I also like that we're blitzing more when we're unable to get pressure with 4.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned has been Jared Allen racking up the sacks. He now has 8.5 on the season despite only having 1 through the first 7 games and has had 5 straight games with at least one sack. He may still wind up with less than his usual, but it sure seems like he'll get to double digits especially with the O-lines of the teams we've got coming up.

The_Dude
12-13-2010, 09:44 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2309229#post2309229

Just wanted to confirm my prediction from week 3 of Favre ending up on IR this season. Looking like that may come true.

This season is just one huge ******* train wreck. Oh well, there is always next year and some optimism that there will be some big time changes next year. Oh god, i hope so.

GB12
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM
I get the feeling that he would be able to come back this season, but both Favre and the team will want to put him on IR.

General Zod
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Looks like we signed Patrick Ramsey. How many teams has this guy been on in his career? lol

NotRickJames
12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Met Ramsey when he played for the Redskins. Awesome guy. I hope he gets the nod. Frazier hinted that if Favre and TJack can't go, Ramsey might get the nod over Joe Webb.

If there's something to be optimistic about here - Ramsey's been on three different teams this season because he was always the most impressive guy at tryouts. I think he could do OK, to be honest.

Crazy_Chris
12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I just don't see how Ramsey could be the best option to start after being with the orginization for not even a week.

With Tarvaris on IR now, the Joe Webb experiment needs to begin.

vikes_28
12-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I just don't see how Ramsey could be the best option to start after being with the orginization for not even a week.

With Tarvaris on IR now, the Joe Webb experiment needs to begin.

I have a feeling favre is going to start.

vikes_28
12-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a feeling favre is going to start.

I take this back. Webb is for sure starting.....

General Zod
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
We are going to sign Rhett Bomar.

Meh...

Me Likey Rookies
12-21-2010, 09:12 PM
Can you guys tell me about Ray Edwards? Is he going to be allowed to become a FA? Is he worth top money?

General Zod
12-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Can you guys tell me about Ray Edwards? Is he going to be allowed to become a FA? Is he worth top money?

No.(10 char)

marshallb
12-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Edwards is a solid player, but he definitely benefits from playing alongside Jared Allen and Kevin Williams. He's gonna be a FA after this year, and I don't see any way we bring him back with all the other guys we gotta pay. He got screwed by the CBA running out that caused him to become a RFA, because he would have got big money after the playoffs that he had last year. He's strong against the run, and is a solid pass rusher. He's what he is at this point and will basically be the guy he's been the past couple years (8.5 sacks last year and 6.5 in 12 games so far this year, having missed 2 games due to a high ankle sprain). He seems to be a guy who will manage to get to the upper single digits in sacks, but won't ever see double digits. He's also a hot head, who has gotten several personal foul penalties and has to be among the top 5 or 10 most fined guys over the past 2 seasons due to that. He's also good for about an offsides a game as he tries to jump the snap count. He also seems like a guy that refs keep an eye out for as he got called for a roughing the passer penalty last night when the QB was knocked into him by Kevin Williams, and has had other iffy ones called on him.

All in all, no he's not worth the top money, but he'd be a good player for a team like the Bucs, who need a couple pass rushers and all around DEs to target.

J-Mike88
12-22-2010, 08:31 AM
Jason Lacanfora of NFL Network just reported that Bill Parcells might end up in Minnesota as a "football guru" next year.

He might be overrated as a coach, but he's a solid assembler of talent.

Maybe hasn't done that great in Miami, but I think he found Cameron Wake in the CFL....

Morton
12-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Jason Lacanfora of NFL Network just reported that Bill Parcells might end up in Minnesota as a "football guru" next year.

Maybe hasn't done that great in Miami, but I think he found Cameron Wake in the CFL....

Oh man, Parcells picking defensive linemen for the Vikings?

I'm soiling my pants.

marshallb
12-22-2010, 01:55 PM

I'd love that, but my biggest and really only concern is that he has (at least that I can remember) always ran the 3-4 as both a coach and '"football guru", and well we have very few pieces for the 3-4 (only ones I can think of are Kevin Williams at DE and Chad and EJ at ILB; Allen would not fit as was partially the reason for him leaving KC), and it would be a terrible move for us if we did change to the 3-4.

He is a great talent evaluator, and would also help restore some order to the mess that this franchise has become. One thing to note in Miami is that he took that team from 1-15 and one of the worst teams ever to an 11-5 playoff team the next year, now the team hasn't been able to take the next step, but he did turn things around immediately.

FuzzyGopher
12-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Interesting, I heard a report like this a few weeks on other message boards but I chalked to up to internet rumor. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I guess it depends on what his role would be. Will he hire a GM? Will he be the GM? One thing is sure, and that is that this team needs a true football mind at the top of the ladder and not a guy who is a real estate guru with a pretty bad ass mustache.

Crazy_Chris
12-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't want Bill Parcells, if he comes he is going to switch the Vikes to a 3-4 defense. Than the Vikes would have to re-build almost the entire defense rather than just the secondary.

prock
12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
What does everyone think of Kellen Moore in the late rounds as a potential starter down the line? He is smart and accurate, I think he would be a great fit in the WCO. Guess we will have to see who our new coach is first, though...

djp
12-23-2010, 12:44 PM
What does everyone think of Kellen Moore in the late rounds as a potential starter down the line? He is smart and accurate, I think he would be a great fit in the WCO. Guess we will have to see who our new coach is first, though...

No thanks. No arm, no mobility. Part of the reason our offense sucks this year is the lack of a deep ball.

djp
12-23-2010, 12:45 PM
I don't want Bill Parcells, if he comes he is going to switch the Vikes to a 3-4 defense. Than the Vikes would have to re-build almost the entire defense rather than just the secondary.

Don't want Parcells either. He can make a terrible team decent, but can he make a decent team great? Hasn't proved that to me yet. I like Spielman. I just think we need a legitimate quarterback.

FuzzyGopher
12-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I would like the move if Parcells came in as a consultant and a not a GM. It would be perfect if he helped Ziggy find a GM and consulted on who to hire as a head coach and organized a chain of command. Basically I would want him to be the architect of the organization but not necessarily make decisions like who to draft or what defense to run etc. I kind of laugh when I see the way our front office is setup, it's a joke. I mean what the hell is a triangle of authority? There needs to be a chain of command where everyone works together but no one person has complete control. The coach's boss is the GM, the GM's boss it the president etc. I would also like to keep Spielman around as the player personal guy as he seems to do a pretty good job with the draft.

marshallb
12-23-2010, 05:55 PM
No thanks. No arm, no mobility. Part of the reason our offense sucks this year is the lack of a deep ball.

This. Plus the fact that he's left handed is another negative. It may not seem like it should be a big deal, but IMO he's at best gonna be a solid #2, and that would completely screw with your offense, different for protection (RT is now the blind side), different for rollouts and scrambling, different for receivers, etc.

Don't want Parcells either. He can make a terrible team decent, but can he make a decent team great? Hasn't proved that to me yet. I like Spielman. I just think we need a legitimate quarterback.

I see your point with this, but how much of that was his fault in Miami and how much was players and coaching, and since Miami was really the only place he's done that, we won't know. I also like Spielman, and he's done a great job, but it seems like we want to get a big name to try and create a buzz, especially with the stadium and everything else, and Parcells definitely knows his ****.

Also, I'm not so sure that all it will take for us is a legit QB. This team has some big time holes in several spots. We're well set at the skill positions with Rice, Harvin, AD, Shiancoe, and even Gerhart, but the OL as a whole was brutal this year. McKinnie has fallen off even more and has now become a 6'8" 340 pound piece of **** who can't do anything well, and isn't even average at anything anymore. Hutch has fallen off and has suffered through injuries these past couple years, and just hasn't been his old self; Sullivan was solid when he was in there early on, which wasn't much as he had a couple nagging injuries, but he has now forgotten how to snap the ball. Herrera was IMO our best OL for quite a bit of the time he was healthy, and that's far from a good thing; Loadholt has regressed so far this year that I don't have much for hope for him anymore. DeGeare may be a replacement for Hutch, he has looked solid, but who knows.

On defense, Allen is still a top pass rusher, and Kevin Williams is still a beast, but Pat is gone, and while I like the guys we have in Guion, Evans, and Kennedy, are any of them guys that you'd wanna have as starters, b/c to me they're much better as rotational guys, but as your worst DL that's not bad; Edwards should be as good as gone, and I like Robison, he's a good solid all around player, but he's also a FA. Everson Griffen has looked real good when he's gotten time, but he's far from a sure thing. LB we should be ok at unless Greenway leaves. EJ is a very good MLB, and I know Leber is a FA and he's a solid player, but could easily be upgraded. I wouldn't mind seeing Erin get a shot, he looked good earlier in the year when Leber got hurt, but he'd still be a question mark. At CB you've got a lot of question marks. Winfield has been very good this year, but is aging and will have to be replaced in the not to distant future. Griffin looked very good when he played, but having torn both ACLs in the last year you can't expect anything from him, even though it is much easier to come back from that now. Asher Allen has been tore apart this year, but he could still make a solid nickel back and he's only in his 2nd year. I have hope for Cook, as he was never healthy, but he didn't show a whole lot this season, despite beasting it in preseason. Walker and Sheppard are nothing more than veteran backups and I don't think either has a contract beyond this year. Now we get to the mess that is S. Madeiu Williams is without a doubt the worst starting S in the NFL. I do have to say that Abdullah has looked solid this year, but he struggles covering the sidelines, and is still a below average starter. After that, Tyrell is a lost cause, Sanford hasn't been given a shot, probably for good reason, and Frampton is a ST.

Now you take a peak at the guys whose contracts will be up in the next couple seasons and you've got a mess. Just this year, we've got Rice, Greenway, Edwards, Leber, Robison, and I believe a couple others (yea, T-Jack and Favre, but who cares). Next year you got IIRC AD, Shiancoe, and EJ. We also can't be too far off from having to give Kevin and Jared new deals either, and I don't know how we can sign all of those guys, or even just all of the key guys, as there are pretty much half the starters on that list, and the other half are either old or need to be replaced.

I try to be optomistic, and I see all the talent on this team, but I'm not anywhere near sure that this is just a restock and go, and you'll be contending after a year, maybe two. This could be a several year rebuilding process.

prock
12-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Our franchise is in really ****** shape, guys. First off, we don't have a stadium. Second, we don't have a quarterback. Third, we don't have a secondary. Fourth, we don't have an offensive line. This isn't a one year rebuilding process. I am fearful for a variety of reasons, but my biggest fear is that AP will end up being like Steven Jackson, an awesome back rotting on a bad team, which we could end up being for a few years. I would like to see a new coach, not Frazier be the head coach. I am fine with Frazier at defensive coordinator, but I am not a fan of his as a head coach. Who do you guys want to see as head coach? I would love Gruden. If not him, a defensive minded coach would be a preference. A coach who will bring something creative to the table on defense, and love to pound the ball on offense. I am sick of this cover 2 ******** and would love a different scheme, but I definitely don't think we can afford to switch to the 3-4. If we could bring someone from the Giants organization in to run our defense that would be a dream come true. A big problem with our team is the fact that half of our starters are awesome, Pro-Bowl caliber players, while the other half shouldn't see an NFL start. Rice, AP, Harvin, Shiancoe, Greenway, EJ, Kevin Williams, and Jared Allen are all good as ****. So how do we go about resigning all of these guys (basically all have contracts expiring this year or after next) and still build up the rest of our team? We have will have to pick and choose who to resign. How do we prioritize? I think we can all agree based on how terrible we looked when he was gone that Sidney Rice has to be a top priority. AP is the best back in the league, an obvious priority, and Chad Greenway can anchor our defense for the next 8 years. None of these guys are expendable. I don't know how we could afford to lose any of our big name free agents over the next two years. So while we don't know how this will play out, we need to focus on the draft. I think we can all agree that our biggest need is quarterback. We cannot afford to **** up on this first round pick. If Locker or Mallet fall to us, what do we do? Do we take Locker with all his question marks? Do we take Mallet and all his question marks? We can't pass on them if they are there, but we are definitely taking a huge gamble with the future of our franchise. We need a sure thing at quarterback. This relates to why I want Gruden. The dude straight up knows quarterbacks. I don't know who better to coach up a Mallet or a Locker than Gruden. But let's say we can't get a top quarterback, then what? We need offensive line help and secondary help the next most. Unless we can get our hands on PP or Prince, the offensive line has to be the next highest priority. Sherrod is likely to be the top rated tackle, and even if we have to take him as high as 9 or 10, I think that has to be the choice. McKinnie needs to be off this team asap. Dude is a ******* bum. We have to give Loadholt another year, whether we like it or not. We just don't have the picks to invest in another RT. So let's say we got Sherrod at #10 in the draft, what do we do in the second? Do we take a second round quarterback, even though they never work out? Ponder would be a nice pick, but can we spend a second rounder on a quarterback who probably won't work out? Can we afford that gamble? I don't know. We need secondary help quite badly as well, so we can't afford to **** up a prime pick like a second rounder. Would Winfield switching to safety be a good move, or should he remain at corner? Who else do we have at corner? Griffin is awesome, but he has two torn ACLs. Asher Allen is fine as a DIME back, and I have always hated Chris Cook and hold no hope for him. We have nothing at corner. We have nothing at safety. We have nothing at offensive line. We have even less at quarterback. We need defensive line help, since Edwards will probably bolt, and Robison may not be a great starter, and he might also be gone. Considering all of our holes on the roster, we can't afford to spend a premium pick on the defensive line, even though the trenches are supremely important. But then we have a different problem on hand. We have always been a BPA team, since having good players can only benefit your team. But when there are so many holes on the roster, can we afford to spend a first rounder on a guy like Bowers or Fairley as BPA when we clearly need help in other areas so much more? I have always advocated BPA when it comes to the draft, but the more I think about it, we just don't have the luxury of taking BPA. We need help in some very important areas, and those may need to be reached for in order to address them. BPA would be more feasible if we had a third round pick, as that is another premium pick we could use to draft a hopeful starter (good one, Chilly). But with only two premium picks this year, I think we have to address two of our three biggest holes no matter what, leaving no room for a defensive lineman, or even a LB like Travis Lewis. The fact of the matter is, the only way we are going to be in contention any time soon is if we are quite lucky in player development. We need guys like Degreare, Erin Henderson, Loadholt, Chris Cook, Everson Griffin, rookie quarterback X, rookie offensive lineman/cornerback/safety Y, and our late round picks to all pan out if we want to contend anytime soon.

I apologize for the lengthy, poorly organized, 1100+ word rant. But man, we are kind of ****** for the next 3 years. We just need to tighten our belts and face the fact we won't be contending for a Super Bowl for 4 or 5 years, if all goes well.

FuzzyGopher
12-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Awesome post, you pretty much perfectly articulated my thoughts on this team. I would like to get away from the cover 2 for a few reasons. First off we have no qb and a stud running back and the cover 2 is most effective when you're playing with a decent lead. We have seen what happens when you're behind a few scores, the opponent's offense can pick up easy yardage and keep the clock ticking while moving down the field by attacking the soft spots of the cover 2. If we were a team like the Colts that could score very quickly and build up a lead it would be a great defense as the opponents will be playing catchup and that's when you unleash the pass rush on them and wreak havoc, see the Dallas playoff game as a perfect example of this.

So basically on defense we are built to protect a lead and on offense we have the personnel to pound the run but not necessarily score a ton of points. It doesn't really make much sense to me. We also have some big ass corn fed ************* on our offensive line that look like their only purpose in life is to maul the **** out of people. So how do we use them? We run a finesse ***** ass run block scheme and ask them to pass protect 30+ times a game. I mean seriously? Wtf.

I would love to see us grab a quarterback in the first round but I don't know how likely it is that we are able to do so. If we can't get one I would loooove to get Amukamura in the 1st and Deunta Williams in the second. This would start the rebuilding process of our secondary and we could add to it in the future via free agency and the draft. By building a strong secondary we could be a lot more aggressive up front with blitzes and stunts. We already have a great DT and DE so if we could toss in some blitzes without having to worry about getting raped over the top we could have a sick defense that could force turnovers. On offense we could take advantage of Adrian Peterson and pound the ball and find a solid quarterback that we won't have to rely on to throw for 4,000 yards, just move the ball a bit. All he would have to do is not **** up and make a few plays and use play action to his advantage.

Dunno if any of this makes sense. It's just one of the ideas I have on what I would if I ran the show. It's fun to play fantasy gm sometimes :D

prock
12-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I would love to completely revamp the secondary, but I don't know if we can afford to ignore the offensive line. Maybe our line could be better with a better scheme, but our line just isn't good.

FuzzyGopher
12-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I agree that the offensive line is lacking in talent, but using those guys in a zone blocking scheme is like putting a square peg in a round hole. I think if we switched to a more traditional run blocking scheme it would at least help out a little. There are a lot a of holes on this team and if whoever is in charge of fixing this mess ***** up early on it could be a long time until we are relevant again.

prock
12-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I agree that the offensive line is lacking in talent, but using those guys in a zone blocking scheme is like putting a square peg in a round hole. I think if we switched to a more traditional run blocking scheme it would at least help out a little. There are a lot a of holes on this team and if whoever is in charge of fixing this mess ***** up early on it could be a long time until we are relevant again.

Truth. You are definitely right about the scheme. Also, with the league being more and more *****, I mean more passing friendly, the secondary is more important than ever. We need some talent back there. If we can't get a first round QB, I would be fine with Amukamara than Deunta, and then spending a late rounder on a developmental QB and bringing in a veteran. But if we can't get PP, Prince, or a top QB, I think reaching on an offensive lineman has to happen. I don't know if Brandon Harris is worth a top 15 pick, but he might be an X factor in this situation. How does Harris compare to Joe Haden in terms of level of a prospect?

FuzzyGopher
12-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not familiar with any of the corners that are ranked after PP and Prince. From what I have been hearing though Harris is leaning towards going back to school. If he does come out I think he could really help his stock during private workouts and the combine.

marshallb
12-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Some good posts here, which brings me to something that I wanted to post the other day. Me and prock were the GMs of the Vikings in the forum mock, and here is what we did:

Draft Picks:
1st- #9 -- Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
2nd- #44 -- Lee Ziemba OT Auburn
3rd- #78(f/OAK) -- DeAndre McDaniel S Clemson
5th- #140 -- Brandon Fusco OL Slippery Rock

Veterans:
Acquired Bob Sanders
Traded Bryant McKinnie

Trades:
Vikings send picks #12 and #108 to the Redskins for pick #9
Vikings send Bryant McKinnie and pick #148 to the Raiders for picks #78 and #142
Vikings send pick #142 to the Colts for Bob Sanders

I was very pleased with how this turned out. We got a franchise QB, yea we had to give up a fourth to do it, but the Skins might have taken him, and I know for a fact that the Titans would have took him if we didn't move up with the Skins. I like Ziemba a lot, especially if we're gonna be a power run team, which is what we planned on. McDaniel is my favorite (not #1) S in this draft, despite his bad Senior season, and we were very happy to get him with the 3rd we got for McKinnie (which we felt we had to take, just too much value for a pile of ****, especially with a guy who we feel can take over for him at LT). Fusco is a versatile guy who can play every position but LT, but played a lot of C at Slippery Rock, so yea there will be a bit of a transition period going from D2 to the NFL. Bob Sanders is very injury prone as we all know, but when he's on the field, he's an all pro caliber player, and was well worth the risk of a fifth round pick.

So what would you guys think of a draft like that?

FuzzyGopher
12-23-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm not as down on McKinnie as a lot of other people are, I feel like at worst he is an average LT. So I don't see why we would dump him only to replace him with a rookie who could be a complete bust. I could see drafting a LT to eventually replace McKinnie but I don't like the move of getting rid of him before you know what you have in his replacement. I REALLY like McDaniel in the third, I think that is about where he should be drafted. He is a good tackler and had a ton of interceptions his junior year. I'm not that high on Mallett but I feel like he could develop into a solid quarterback, but i have concerns about his commitment and dedication to learning the position. He isn't asked to do much in Petrino's offense but he executes it perfectly and it's obvious all the physical tools are there, it's just a matter of the mental aspect with him. Can he read a defense? Can he handle adversity? Playing quarterback is about 20% physical and 80% mental/decision making. I don't know much about the tackle from Auburn but I have heard he is pretty solid and I think he has been a 4 year starter, I'll keep an eye on him during the NC game. I'm not really a Bob Sanders fan and I think he has a massive contract, although I could be wrong. I would much rather grab his teammate Bethea in FA if the price is right.

marshallb
12-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm not as down on McKinnie as a lot of other people are, I feel like at worst he is an average LT. So I don't see why we would dump him only to replace him with a rookie who could be a complete bust. I could see drafting a LT to eventually replace McKinnie but I don't like the move of getting rid of him before you know what you have in his replacement. I REALLY like McDaniel in the third, I think that is about where he should be drafted. He is a good tackler and had a ton of interceptions his junior year. I'm not that high on Mallett but I feel like he could develop into a solid quarterback, but i have concerns about his commitment and dedication to learning the position. He isn't asked to do much in Petrino's offense but he executes it perfectly and it's obvious all the physical tools are there, it's just a matter of the mental aspect with him. Can he read a defense? Can he handle adversity? Playing quarterback is about 20% physical and 80% mental/decision making. I don't know much about the tackle from Auburn but I have heard he is pretty solid and I think he has been a 4 year starter, I'll keep an eye on him during the NC games. I'm not really a Bob Sanders fan and I think he has a massive contract, although I could be wrong. I would much rather grab his teammate Bethea in FA if the price is right.

Alright, I definitely understand that. Both of us have just gotten so sick of McKinnie this year, and I can't really even say that I'd consider him average at anything, definitely not pass blocking, and if I'm gonna start a rookie QB, I don't want him to be the one protecting him. Ziemba has been a our year starter at LT and the fact that it's been in the SEC will help the transition along very well. The biggest knock on him is that he's got short arms, and his feet may not be that quick, but I figured that with a power run scheme that both of those would be very minimal problems. I've been so impressed with how he's played that I was comfortable with taking the deal for McKinnie, which everyone said was a steal, but I do have to say that I did have some concerne about taking McKinnie out and plugging in an unproven rookie. I would have rather had a guy that I can trust to be healthier, and maybe at a better price (IDK what Sanders contract is like) as a FA too, but we didn't do a FA in this at all, it was just draft and trades; you could consider any of your team's FA as resigned or not.

vikes_28
12-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I'd love to maybe draft Prince or get Patrick Peterson in the first. Then a good safety in the second. Also, we could pick up a seasoned vet in free agency to lead the secondary. tbh, I don't think there are many issues with the front 7. I know, Pat Williams is going to retire, and Edwards is more than likely going to leave, but it seems like with a rotation of guys at UT, and NT, it seems like we'd be just fine. I'm pretty sure that's what Frazier has been doing since he took over to keep the big guys fresh. Jimmy Kennedy has shown me a lot. Def a keeper.

The offensive line...Meh. We have to keep in mind, that we are down two starters this year. Or O-line consists of 1 rookie, and 1 career back up. John Sullivan is iffy, but we could always pick up a guy like Matt Birk in the later rounds. I would really like to see if our Oline got better when our starters were healthy again.

The QB is probably the biggest and my least favorite issue to think about. I'm so afraid of a guy like Mallett being like Jamarcus Russell, but then I think about how awesome it would be for him to turn out like Peyton Manning. Jake Locker and Andrew Luck both have potential to bust just like Joey Harrington did.

I have a feeling if Gruden becomes our coach, he'll pick up 30 ****** QB's and pick which one he likes best and name him starter. i mean, if he can win with that QB, fine, but if he can't, he'll be out of Minnesota again in a heart beat. John Fox intrigues me, he's been a good coach, but at the same time, he's never really had an amazing season with the Panthers aside from the one when he took them to the SB.

The stadium issue just pisses me off...and I'm not even a citizen of Minnestoa.

MNtoWA Guy
12-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice to see all the post-season talk in this thread!

I agree a lot with what has been said so far. I like the idea of a Parcells type football guy coming in as a consultant and possible GM, but I also don't want Parcells for a few reasons. Like many have said the Vikings are going to be a rebuilding team, but we become a bottom of the NFL team for sure if we have to put a 3-4 defensive transition on top of everything. I definitely want to see something different defensively next year. I too am sick of the Cover-2 scheme and would much rather see us utilize an attacking defense that blitzes and brings pressure. We have players like Allen, EJ, and Greenway who can get to the QB if they are in the right defense. I think Greenway especially has been showing a lot of promise when blitzing the QB, so I wouldn't mind a defense that turns him and EJ loose more than asking them to drop and cover all the time.

Offensively the new coach, because I just don't see anyway Frazier retains the HC job, needs to make a commitment to running the football. AP is the best RB in football and needs to be utilized in an offense where he is the center piece. The last few years he took a back seat to Favre and still had very good seasons. Imagine an offense where we actually run the ball on a consistent basis, not like a Chilly offense that may have an offensive series that goes incomplete pass x3 then punt most of the time. Also, I like what I have seen in Gerhart and think he definitely should have an expanded role in the run game. Maybe an offense similar to what Carolina had with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. The new coach also has to find a way to get Harvin more involved in the offense. I would love to see more of him lining up in the back field, motioning to and from the slot, and maybe even running some Wildcat type plays.

Free Agency wise we need to do our best to limit the damage. There is no way we can re-sign everyone, so we need to be smart about who we let walk. I think it is a foregone conclusion that Ray Edwards will be gone next year. I do like what I have seen from Everson Griffen and I think Robison can and should be re-signed to platoon at the RDE position with Griffen next year. Fat Pat probably retires with Favre, but we have some DT's who have played solidly in a rotation this year, so we probably go with Guion, Kennedy, and Fred Evans opposite Kevin Williams. I love his play the past few years, but we cannot afford to keep Leber. Erin Henderson may get the call or we could try to bring in a rookie in the draft. Greenway is the key to this free agency class, so all efforts must be made to retain his services. Sidney should be another one to re-sign, I think we all can agree that he adds a whole different dimension to the WR corp when he is healthy and in there. Maybe with his coming off injury we can try to get him to re-sign for a little less money, but he still is going to take some significant dough. The secondary is a complete mess and will have to be the focus of the draft. Although I agree with FuzzyGopher that the Vikes should look at getting Bethea from the Colts to come in at one spot. Winfield is solid, but aging and I wouldn't mind seeing him slide over to the other safety spot. If nothing else he can continue to play one CB position and slide in to cover the slot. Cedric is good, but we can't count on him to be healthy for sure, and I don't think we truly know what we have yet in Cook. Asher is decent as a nickel, but I don't like him as a starter. Unfortunately I think we are going to have to spend some high draft choices on one, if not two, positions in the secondary. Abdullah shows promise, but he is back-up material. Madieu needs to be cut...period.

In the draft I don't think we can afford to pass on a QB if one of the top ones is available. We just have too many holes right now and not enough draft choices, so I actually wouldn't mind seeing us trade down to get more picks if none of the QBs are there. I kinda want the Vikings to bring in a veteran stop-gap QB like Orton or Shaun Hill so we can develop a young QB for a year or two. We hopefully use our draft to address the QB, CB, S, and OL positions.

Overall, we are not going to be a team competing for division or conference championships any time soon.

vikes_28
12-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Perry Fewell seems like he'd be a good coach.

MNtoWA Guy
12-24-2010, 03:39 PM
So let's say Zygi brings in Parcells to be the GM of the Vikings. I would assume Parcells would want to bring in a somebody from his coaching tree to be HC. This coach would have to be someone familiar with his the systems he runs on offense and defense, and basically an extension/puppet of Parcells (i.e. Tony Sparano). My question is who is even out there from Parcells coaching tree that isn't a HC already? Are there some little known assistants (again like Sparano) from his days in Dallas who would be deserving of a HC position? Just wondering if anybody else knows.

General Zod
12-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Great stuff here guys..

Looking ahead to next season for free agency:

QB Brett Favre UFA Good bye
WR Greg Lewis UFA Meh..
WR Sidney Rice UFA Please re sign
PK Ryan Longwell UFA would like back
DL Ray Edwards UFA Good bye
DL Brian Robison UFA would like back
DL Pat Williams UFA as long as we dont pay him a ton
LB Chad Greenway UFA if we dont re sign him, i will punt kittens.
LB Ben Leber UFA would like back

Here is a look at QB free agents next year:

QB John Beck
QB Tom Brady
QB Kellen Clemens
QB Kerry Collins
QB Brodie Croyle
QB Charlie Frye
QB Bruce Gradkowski
QB Brian Griese
QB Matt Hasselbeck
QB Shaun Hill
QB Kevin Kolb
QB Peyton Manning
QB Donovan McNabb
QB J.T. O'Sullivan
QB Chad Pennington
QB Sage Rosenfels
QB Troy Smith
QB Drew Stanton
QB Tyler Thigpen
QB Michael Vick
QB Billy Volek
QB Seneca Wallace

I think we can pretty much count on Vick, Manning and Brady not going anywhere. So what does that leave us? Not much to choose from. I really think with Stafford injury problems Hill and Stanton will get resigned. A lot of those guys are up there in years. I got real mixed feelings about McNabb and he also up there in years. I guess the best on that list(and I use that loosely) that would be a young talent to develop would be Smith and Kolb.

Lets look at the draft. I figure on us picking somewhere in the top ten. Order by current record. Likely to draft a QB out of 10 (0/10 no chance-10/10 very likely)

1. Carolina (2-13)
They have Clausen, but if Luck comes out no way they can pass him up. 10/10 if its Andrew Luck
2. Denver (3-11)
Depends on new coaching staff but Tebow is there to develop. We'll wait and see how he plays in these last 2 games. 5/10
3. Cincinnati (3-11)
Palmer looks like he is done, and Marvin Lewis with him. With the Bungles you never know whats going to happen on draft day. They should take a QB, but might not. 5/10
4. Arizona (4-10)
Derek Anderson 10/10
5. Detroit (4-10)
Matthew Stafford 0/10
6. Buffalo (4-10)
Im thinking Fitzpatrick has justified them passing on a single caller. But they still might go in that direction. 5/10
7. San Francisco (5-9)
Depends on new coaching staff. If by someway Singletary survives and has a job there next season. Im guessing he'll stick with Alex/Troy Smith but we'll just put this at 7/10
8. Dallas (5-9)
Romo 0/10
9. Washington (5-9)
If Shanahan finds a QB he likes here, its a yes for sure. But you never know about him. 7/10
10. Houston (5-9)
Schaub 0/10
11. Cleveland (5-9)
McCoy has played well for a rookie. 3/10
12. Minnesota (5-9)

So at least 2 teams are defiantly going to take QBs before the Vikings pick. And you figure that going to take Luck and then Mallet or Locker. We have no shoot at Luck. I dont like Mallet because he reminds a lot of Favre. He'll make great throws, then follow it up with really bad throws. Im still a big fan of Jake Locker. But I got a feeling he is going to be gone also by the time we pick. Cam Newton scares me as an NFL prospect. He reminds me to much of Daunte Culpepper.

So where do we go for our signal caller next season?

prock
12-25-2010, 08:55 PM
So based on that list, you are saying we have our choice of Brady, Manning, Or vick? I like what I see. I think we gotta get Mallet or Locker if we are lucky, otherwise take a late rounder and someone like Hasselback or McNabb.

MNtoWA Guy
12-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Great post GeneralZod! Here's my thoughts:

Free Agency: Agree with everything you put down, except I think Fat Pat retires and I don't think the Vikings will make much of an effort to re-sign Leber (which is a shame, he's a good player) as there are too many other guys to re-sign.

QB Free Agents: I honestly think there is a chance one of either Stanton or Hill will be available. Unless the Vikings can pry Orton away from Denver for a 4th round choice I say we go after one or the other. Both Hill and Stanton have played well enough that they will both deserve bigger contracts and I don't think there is anyway Detroit can justify paying to have 3 starting QB's on their roster. Please keep Troy Smith and McNabb far away from this team, I would rather have Thigpen back in purple if we can't get Orton or Stanton/Hill. The other thing I don't understand is the linking of Kevin Kolb to the Vikings via trade. If Chilly was still coach I would say this is a strong possibility, he loves any ex-Eagle player and Kolb would have fit into his system. However, we are going to have a new offensive system next year and Kolb is essentially the same as having a rookie QB back there.

Draft-wise I agree with your take.

1: Carolina will have a new HC who will not have any ties to Clausen, similar to the situation with Tebow, so I think the Panthers take a QB #1 (definitely if Luck comes out).

2: Denver also will have a new HC, but I don't see them taking a QB for some reason. Whoever the new HC is won't have a terrible QB situation that needs addressing right away. Orton has proven that he can be effective in multiple systems. Obviously he excelled in McDaniel's pass-happy approach, but he was pretty effective in a more conservative, run-first offense in Chicago. Tebow is an intriguing prospect who the new coach may want to try an mold into a franchise QB.

3: Cincinnati is yet another team that will most likely have a new HC. Unlike Denver I do see Cincinnati taking a QB. Palmer has been terrible since coming back from knee surgery, and they made a terrible mistake in not re-signing Fitzpatrick, so they don't have anyone behind Palmer. Depending upon who the HC is I could see Mallett here or I wouldn't be shocked if it was Cam Newton.

4: Arizona won't necessarily have a new HC, I think Whisenhunt gets at least 1 more year, but they desperately need a fresh start at QB. I would say Mallett could be the choice. I think Whisenhunt would go with Mallett if he was available, as I think Mallett has a similar skill-set to Big-Ben, whom he coached in Pittsburgh.

5: Detroit won't take a QB

6: Buffalo won't take a QB, they owe Fitzpatrick at least another year to prove he is the guy.

7: San Francisco is where it gets tricky for the Vikes. With 3 out of the top 4 QB's likely gone it all hinges on who the HC is for the 49ers. I agree with your take, GeneralZod, that if Singletary is still there he will likely continue to go with Alex Smith/Troy Smith (and continue to finish sub .500). However, if a new HC is brought in they might want to bring in their own QB to develop. I'm going to say Singletary earns 1 more year to prove he can turn this team around and doesn't go for a QB, even though he should.

8: Dallas won't take a QB.

9. Washington is another tricky team. Shanahan has been searching for the next John Elway for a while now, but I just don't see him taking a QB in the draft. I think he will likely go with Sexy Rexy next year as the only QB who really would be the Elway-like QB Shanahan would covet is Andrew Luck, and he will not be available at pick #9.

10: Houston won't take a QB.

11: Cleveland won't take a QB. Colt has been playing well enough to warrant a shot as the starting QB next year.

12: So here we are with the Viking's pick. In the scenario I have laid out 3 of the top 4 QB's are gone (Luck, Mallett, and Newton). Is this very likely? No. 1999 is the last draft where 3 QB's were taken within the first 4 selections. There is always a team that should take a QB who decides to pass and take a DE or something, which basically sinks their franchise into a deeper hole. So in this scenario Locker is available for the Vikings and I don't think we can afford to pass on him. Honestly I don't think we can afford to pass on any of the top 4, despite how much I don't want to see Cam Newton on this team. I think he ends up being Vince Young version 2.0 in the pros. I would be happy with any of the other 3 QB's, but it is the NFL draft, so you never can tell what may happen.

prock
12-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Shaun Hill would be fine, but Stanton is not a starter. I would be intrigued by bringing in Gradkowski for a year though.

MNtoWA Guy
12-25-2010, 09:18 PM
^ Agree, Gradkowski is an interesting guy and could be a nice 1-2 year starter for us. I think Stanton can be a starter, but he would need to be in a similar system to what they run in Detroit. Honestly, I think Detroit re-signs him as he will be cheaper to re-sign than Shaun Hill. I like Shaun Hill and think he can be effective in multiple offensive systems (since we don't know exactly what the Vikings will be running next year). Plus he has played in a offense before where the RB was the main offensive threat (49ers). Brady, Manning, Vick, and Kolb are not going to be available (I don't see the Vikings in a position to give the Eagles the draft choice they will want for Kolb). I want nothing to do with McNabb, Hasselbeck, or Kerry Collins. I don't see how any of them can provide the Vikings any chance at being competitive while we hopefully develop a young QB. Pennington shouldn't even be an option on that list. I don't even think he has his throwing arm attached to his body anymore after all the injuries he has accumulated. None of the other names are starting material and would be a giant step-backward if we roll into the season with them as QB1.

prock
12-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Gonna agree with vikes here, I would like to have Perry Fewell as our coach methinks...

FuzzyGopher
12-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Not sure how I feel about this. Glazer is saying that Zygi is leaning towards keeping Frazier for next year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/nfl-on-fox?vid=d32034fe-4aaa-459a-891e-532bf3d3b5b9&from=foxsports/nfl/moresports

BuckNaked
12-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Well that would suck

MNtoWA Guy
12-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't like the decision, but I can see where it makes the most sense financially for Zygi. He is going to have to sink a lot of his money into a stadium effort and add that on top of the uncertainty next year with the CBA. I think bringing back Frazier is the cheapest option for him. Frazier likely retains some of the coaching staff, which lessens the amount of coaches Zygi has to pay. Monetarily this makes sense, but it sucks for the Vikings.

FuzzyGopher
12-29-2010, 01:17 AM
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu. It was nice to see is not suck ass for once and actually handle a pretty good team, but now we will most likely be drafting around pick 15. There is pretty much no one I like that will be available at that spot. Hopefully the Senior Bowl and Combine will shoot some players up the boards and someone nice will fall to us. I think Locker would be a great pick at 15 but I think someone would take him earlier especially the Seahawks if they end up ahead of us.

I don't think we should take an offensive tackle in round 1 either. So that would leave us with someone like Janoris Jenkins, or a d-lineman like Clayborn or Bailey.

Hopefully some of the 5 loss teams lose and that will boost us up a few picks to around 11 or 12. Meh, I guess a lot can happen between now and the draft but I was really hoping to be in the 7 to 9 range to grab an elite player.

Vikes99ej
12-29-2010, 01:41 AM
Frazier seems like a good guy. And we beat the Eagles on the road, for god's sake. It just sucks he's stuck with dumb, untalented players.

Gay Ork Wang
12-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Thank You Vikings!

Monomach
12-29-2010, 08:41 AM
I dunno if he's the qb of the future or whatever, but if Vikings management still converts Joe Webb to wr, I'm going to laugh like crazy.

That kid is a qb.

FuzzyGopher
12-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Like I said on the game day thread, Webb looked better with 8 months of experience than Tarvaris Jackson has looked with 5 years. He showed good pocket presence while showing the ability to step up into the pocket or roll out to avoid the rush. He has a pretty damn good arm and is a dynamic runner. With all that said, I'm not sold on him being a starting quarterback anytime soon. His accuracy wasn't impressive at all, he lead his receivers into oncoming defenders and his ball placement didn't allow for his receivers to pick up yards after the catch. He missed a wide open Peterson (he didn't even see him) on what I think was a 3rd down play and I question his ability to see the whole field and go through his progressions. I do think we should keep him at quarterback and let him develop some more with a veteran and hopefully a high caliber rookie ahead of him on the depth chart. He showed a lot of promise, but it was just one game and against a team that looked lethargic and disinterested.

yo123
12-29-2010, 01:58 PM
Yeah Webb can probably play QB in the league, I'm going to be pretty pissed if we go into 2011 with him as our starter but he can have a long career as a backup if last night was any indication and that wasn't just the Eagles mailing it in.

MidwayMonster31
12-29-2010, 02:38 PM
If Luck doesn't declare, it will obviously raise the value for Mallett, Newton and Locker. There will be very high demand for them at the top.
It could be best if the Vikings signed a free agent and make Webb earn the job. They still don't know how hard he will work in the offseason. Webb has the abilities to be a starting quarterback, but there are still too many unknowns to give him the starting job.

GB12
12-29-2010, 03:43 PM
If Luck doesn't declare, it will obviously raise the value for Mallett, Newton and Locker. There will be very high demand for them at the top.
It could be best if the Vikings signed a free agent and make Webb earn the job. They still don't know how hard he will work in the offseason. Webb has the abilities to be a starting quarterback, but there are still too many unknowns to give him the starting job.

I really don't think it does. If Luck comes out, he's going to the Panthers. If he doesn't, the Panthers probably don't take a QB. Nothing would change.

FuzzyGopher
12-29-2010, 04:21 PM
I really don't think it does. If Luck comes out, he's going to the Panthers. If he doesn't, the Panthers probably don't take a QB. Nothing would change.

I pretty much agree with this. Mallett is no where near worthy of being the number 1 overall pick, in fact I don't think any of this years quarterbacks, aside from Luck if he declares, are worthy of it.

vikes_28
12-30-2010, 08:49 AM
I guess Brett Favre is going to start this week...Can't he just give it a damn rest and let the vikings evaluate Joe Webb?

the_legend_killer
12-30-2010, 09:34 AM
I guess Brett Favre is going to start this week...Can't he just give it a damn rest and let the vikings evaluate Joe Webb?

Nope, because Brett needs to satisfy his eg............err...........he owes it to his teammates that he loves and came back to play for!

vikes_28
12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd laugh my ass off if Favre lost it for the vikings.

GB12
12-30-2010, 04:43 PM

Frazier is an idiot if he actually lets Favre start. There is no reason for anyone other than Webb to be starting at this point.

umphrey
12-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I saw on ESPN this morning that Favre failed the concussion test and they are contemplating just letting him take the test again. Did something change?

I sort of question whether Favre would ever pass a concussion test at this point in his life. That guy's head has hit Lambeau field, helmets, shoulders, grass, dirt, turf, thousands of times mostly in the pre concussion era where he almost certainly played with dozens of them. Not to mention he isn't that bright, compared to a highly intelligent QB I would bet that puts him at a disadvantage. The past couple of years make you wonder if he's gone a little loony as well.

General Zod
12-30-2010, 05:22 PM
All the same, Id just like to see what Joe Webb can do for another game.

vikes_28
12-30-2010, 09:11 PM
I saw that as well. Apparently he has to pass it before saturday to be able to play.

prock
12-30-2010, 11:25 PM
I saw on ESPN this morning that Favre failed the concussion test and they are contemplating just letting him take the test again. Did something change?

I sort of question whether Favre would ever pass a concussion test at this point in his life. That guy's head has hit Lambeau field, helmets, shoulders, grass, dirt, turf, thousands of times mostly in the pre concussion era where he almost certainly played with dozens of them. Not to mention he isn't that bright, compared to a highly intelligent QB I would bet that puts him at a disadvantage. The past couple of years make you wonder if he's gone a little loony as well.

The concussion test is a 20-30 minute test that scores you on remembering, recognizing patterns, reaction time, etc and the scores are compared to your baseline score that you got at the beginning of the year so it doesn't matter how many times his head has been hit in the past. It is compared to how he scored at the beginning of the year. I know, I took it about 6 times this year lol.

djp
01-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't have much to say right now, but I will say that I will be extremely upset if we don't reward Chad Greenway. He's quietly become one of the best linebackers in the league.

General Zod
01-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't have much to say right now, but I will say that I will be extremely upset if we don't reward Chad Greenway. He's quietly become one of the best linebackers in the league.

If Frazier is our head coach next year and Im 99% certain he will be, We'll get Greenway locked up.

Vikes99ej
01-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I think I am okay with Frazier becoming our next head coach.

FuzzyGopher
01-01-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm warming up to Frazier as HC. I just wish Zygi would get some sort of outside advice and exercise some due diligence. He seems to fall in love with an idea and rush into decisions, see Childress as a prime example of this, he was the only candidate interviewed and he was given an extension prematurely.

I also hope we get away from running so much cover 2, I want to see an attacking defense that can force turnovers.

russie
01-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Frazier, Vikings met for more than five hours on Friday

Posted by Mike Florio on January 1, 2011, 7:07 PM EST

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune recently reported that the Vikings and interim coach Leslie Frazier have been involved in “serious discussions” aimed at making him the non-interim coach.

A league source tells us that the discussions entailed meetings that consumed more than five hours on Friday.

Time is of the essence for the Vikings, given that once their season ends on Sunday other teams may come calling for Frazier. (It would be more than a little naive to think that teams that may be interested in Frazier haven’t made their interest known to Frazier’s agent.)

Because Frazier is a minority candidate, the Vikings can make him the permanent coach without conducting any further interviews. And by all appearances the Vikings will make him the permanent coach.

It would make sense to make the move as soon as possible after the regular-season finale. Five years ago, the team made it known immediately after a Week 17 win over the Bears that coach Mike Tice wouldn’t be returning.

The next question will be whether Frazier retains offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, who employs the West Coast offense. And if Bevell stays, it will be impossible to rule out another “this is my last year, and I mean it this time” return from Brett Favre, especially if a lockout wipes out the offseason program and/or training camp.

i am fine with it, i guess, but i really would have liked to see them bring in bill cowher, at least for an interview.

Vikes99ej
01-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm warming up to Frazier as HC. I just wish Zygi would get some sort of outside advice and exercise some due diligence. He seems to fall in love with an idea and rush into decisions, see Childress as a prime example of this, he was the only candidate interviewed and he was given an extension prematurely.

I also hope we get away from running so much cover 2, I want to see an attacking defense that can force turnovers.

If we could get the defense that faced the Iggles to get on the field for EVERY game we would be set.

FuzzyGopher
01-02-2011, 01:58 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/02/confirmed-leslie-frazier-agrees-to-become-vikings-head-coach/

Mehhhhhh. I'm thinking Tony Dungy called up Zygi and has something to do with this. At least we got rid of Chilly and Jackson.

MNtoWA Guy
01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981510

I am torn on Frazier becoming our HC permanently. Part of me thinks he deserves a shot to be the HC for a full year as I think the players like him and truly want to play well for him. However, I too can't take much more of this cover-2 B.S. We are constantly getting killed by crossing routes, TE's, and RB's who just go into the void between our D-line and dropping LB's. As much as I like Greenway and Henderson they are a mismatch in coverage on most TE's and RB's. Then you add our god-awful safeties on top of the cover-2 shell and it is a recipe for disaster. I hope he either retains the current interim D-coordinator (can't think of his name off the top of my head) or brings in a new D-coordinator who uses less cover-2 and more pressure blitzes.

MNtoWA Guy
01-02-2011, 02:06 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/02/confirmed-leslie-frazier-agrees-to-become-vikings-head-coach/

Mehhhhhh. I'm thinking Tony Dungy called up Zygi and has something to do with this. At least we got rid of Chilly and Jackson.

Sorry FuzzyGopher. Didn't see you already posted a link. I am sure Dungy put in a good word for his disciple. Now I wonder what Frazier does with the coaching staff. I am sure he retains most of the defensive assistants, unless they move on to other locations or coaching gigs. I really want to see a shake-up on offense. I think we need to bring in a coordinator who expects less from the QB and relies more on the running game.

As we saw last year Chilly and Bevel's offense was so predicated on having a gunslinger QB like Favre. When Favre wasn't playing well this year and the previous years we we didn't have Favre the offense struggled. I think we need to find an offensive coordinator who realizes he has the best RB in football, a big offensive line that should be used to maul people in the running game (not be asked to pass protect 75% of the time), and some good WR's who can supplement the running attack.

FuzzyGopher
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
He should bring in a new offensive coordinator and let him do his thing. Frazier needs to put his focus on the defense and get back to his roots. I've been looking at his resume and he played for the '85 Bears, coached under Jim Johnson and Marvin Lewis. All of those guys/teams run aggressive in your face pressure defenses. When you look at that it's a bit confusing as to why he runs so much cover 2 in Minnesota. Maybe it was Childress' call? I hope that's the case and he spends the off season implementing a more attacking defense.

MNtoWA Guy
01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
^Agree 100%. He has been using more zone blitzes lately, and while we get burned on them sometimes, they are a refreshing changes to the cover-2 shell. The cover-2 defense is perfect for when you are a team playing with a lead all the time, which is why it worked well in Indy and with the Vikings last year. However, we are not going to be as potent an offensive team for these next few years, so we also need to change on defense. I want to see the Vikings start to resemble the Baltimore Ravens. Run the ball effectively on offense and then hit teams with the play-action pass when they sneak-up to defend the run. Back-up the offense with an aggressive defense that gambles a bit on blitzes and tries to cause turn-overs.

FuzzyGopher
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM
Here is a cool site where you can track where we will be picking in the draft. Right now we have a 45% chance of picking 12th.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfldraftorder.html

russie
01-02-2011, 06:49 PM
well, here's to the number 12 spot and prayer that one of the top 3 qb's fall to us

marshallb
01-02-2011, 07:02 PM
well, here's to the number 12 spot and prayer that one of the top 3 qb's fall to us

If Seattle loses then we pick 13th, if Seattle wins then we'll pick 12th.

I'll write more up in the draft thread next week sometime, but for now I'll keep it short. If one of the top 3 QBs(Luck won't be, but Locker and Mallett are possible) are available, then I want us to take one of them, if not then I say take BPA pretty much.

General Zod
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
I just dont see one of the top tier QBs in this draft falling to us at 12 or 13. Even if Luck comes out(which I dont think he will). With Carloina, Arizona, SF and probably Seattle all picking ahead of us, I just dont see one falling to us.

FuzzyGopher
01-02-2011, 07:20 PM
I just dont see one of the top tier QBs in this draft falling to us at 12 or 13. Even if Luck comes out(which I dont think he will). With Carloina, Arizona, SF and probably Seattle all picking ahead of us, I just dont see one falling to us.

I can see one falling. Crazy stuff happens and there is still a long way to go until the draft. No one thought Clausen would go in the 2nd, Quinn would fall, Rodgers would fall to the 20s. If I had to guess I would say that Mallett and Locker are the guys with the most potential to fall to us.

GB12
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
I can see one falling. Crazy stuff happens and there is still a long way to go until the draft. No one thought Clausen would go in the 2nd, Quinn would fall, Rodgers would fall to the 20s. If I had to guess I would say that Mallett and Locker are the guys with the most potential to fall to us.

I think there's a much greater chance for one of these to fall than there was for Quinn or Rodgers. Obviously the fact there are more of them is a reason right there, but even if it was just Luck and one of Mallet/Locker I'd still think that. In fact I wouldn't be surprised (and kind of expect) to see both of those available at 12.

Sportsfan486
01-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Huh? The Vikings? Who are they?

FuzzyGopher
01-02-2011, 07:43 PM

A High School football team from Minnesota, a state located in the Midwestern United States.

yo123
01-02-2011, 08:44 PM

We're the team to your west with a realistic level headed fan base. Not that a Packers fan would be able to recognize one of those.

prock
01-02-2011, 08:58 PM

But we had injuriezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz