View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18

vikes_28
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Huh? The Vikings? Who are they?

A college football team from south dakota

The Dynasty
01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Thank You Seattle for winning and going to the playoffs and moving us down from 13 to 12 in the Draft.

marshallb
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Thank You Seattle for winning and going to the playoffs and moving us down from 13 to 12 in the Draft.

haha, I just posted something similar into JBond's updated order thread.

vikes_28
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Even though I kind of wanted the Rams to win with Bradford. But whatever i'm over it.

General Zod
01-02-2011, 10:47 PM
haha, I just posted something similar into JBond's updated order thread.

yep and i just posted it in the week 17 discussion thread too lol

FuzzyGopher
01-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Even bigger than us moving up one slot is that it moves quarterback needy Seattle way behind us.

Vikes99ej
01-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I wonder if we're going to try getting any kind of General Manager. Usually when a GM is brought in, he likes to find his own coach and personnel

vikes_28
01-03-2011, 07:14 PM
I guess Frazier is now the HC.

General Zod
01-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I was unaware that we signed Rhett Bomar to a 3 year contract.

marshallb
01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I wonder if we're going to try getting any kind of General Manager. Usually when a GM is brought in, he likes to find his own coach and personnel

It really doesn't look like we're gonna hire a GM or "football guru or czar": http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Wilfs_No_changes_to_Vikings_power_structure_follow ing_Frazier_hire010311

FuzzyGopher
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
It really doesn't look like we're gonna hire a GM or "football guru or czar": http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Wilfs_No_changes_to_Vikings_power_structure_follow ing_Frazier_hire010311

Doesn't seem conventional but I think it can work with the right people. We basically took what a GM would do and divided it up among several people. Spielman seems to do a good job with the draft, Bryz is amazing with the cap, and now Frazier will be in charge of the roster.

Frazier said he wants to become a power run team which is what many of us on here have been saying we should be doing for a while now. If we could get rid of Bevell I would be more happy with the signing of Frazier. If we focus on pounding the ball with Peterson and Gerhart, toss is a little play action and revamp the secondary I think it would be a good start to rebuilding this team.

Crazy_Chris
01-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Don't know if any of you noticed this but yesterday Leslie Frazier fired Kevin Rogers(QB Coach), and Pat Morris/Jim Heuber(O-line Coaches). He still hasn't decided if he wants to keep Darrell Bevell, or switch to a different offensive system.

http://min.scout.com/2/1037421.html

djp
01-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Josh McDaniels coming in to interview for offensive coordinator job.

Crazy_Chris
01-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Not sure how much I like that, I think he would make a very good OC for us. However I would rather not fire Bevell for a guy who could very well bolt for another HC job next year.

Crazy_Chris
01-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Leslie Fraizer isn't wasting any time...

John Clayton is reporting that Mike Singeltary will interview to be the LB coach.

General Zod
01-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Id be happy with both of them on board. Although during the season I thought they were douchbags. lol

McDaniels could be great for a young developing QB, and Singletary has proven to be a good defensive coach. And while I wouldnt be totally opposed to having Orton on the team, I think a 2nd round pick is a little steep for him.

Crazy_Chris
01-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Id be happy with both of them on board. Although during the season I thought they were douchbags. lol

McDaniels could be great for a young developing QB, and Singletary has proven to be a good defensive coordinator. And while I wouldnt be totally opposed to having Orton on the team, I think a 2nd round pick is a little steep for him.

Yeah no way in hell I would want to give up our 2nd round pick for Orton. I think a 4th and another late pick(maybe a conditional pick next year instead) would suffice.

FuzzyGopher
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Isn't McDaniels known for abandoning the run? I've seen people ***** about his play calling on these forums a bunch. Anyone that can make Kyle Orton and Brandon Lloyd look like Hall of Famers definitely intrigues me though.

Crazy_Chris
01-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Isn't McDaniels known for abandoning the run? I've seen people ***** about his play calling on these forums a bunch. Anyone that can make Kyle Orton and Brandon Lloyd look like Hall of Famers definitely intrigues me though.

I thought that was one of his knocks, but I am not sure. Although if even if true, he hasn't had a RB anywhere near as good as AD to work with.

General Zod
01-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Frazier already said he wants to have a power running game style of offense. So with McD we would run a power running type um...spread offense? lol

bored of education
01-06-2011, 07:30 PM
@JuddZulgad: Josh McDaniels is expected to meet with Vikings about offensive coordinator's job on Friday

I love that move him and Leslie! Just need a guy to run the QB

Timbathia
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM

McDaniels abandoned the run in Denver because he had no choice. Rookie center, effectively a rookie a LG, and two Tackles coming off major leg injuries meant that the power part of the run game didnt exist. Add to that Moreno isnt very good and was the best back Denver had (on the odd occasions he was healthy). He often stated in press conferences in the early part of the season that he had felt he had no choice but to abandon it.

BTW - got to go to TCF Bank for the game against the Bears last month while at my in-laws. The Vikes have rapidly become my second fave team (despite me having now been to 4 games all which they have lost). Shame if yall lose the team because I like having games to go too in Dec when I am up there.

marshallb
01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
I thought that was one of his knocks, but I am not sure. Although if even if true, he hasn't had a RB anywhere near as good as AD to work with.

Yea, that's what I was going to say. In his time at New England he had Mauroney and in Denver he had Moreno and Buckhalter and Mauroney too.

I'm glad to see that we're going after some of these big time guys for assistants rather than just settling with what we had.

wogitalia
01-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Yea, that's what I was going to say. In his time at New England he had Mauroney and in Denver he had Moreno and Buckhalter and Mauroney too.

They were running a lot at the start of last season when the OL and RBs were healthy. Then Moreno and Buckhalter got hurt and they never really got back to it. That was during the hot start, I remember both backs putting up big numbers.

I like the idea, he clearly has done a good job with his QBs with both teams and we have the weapons with Rice and Harvin in particular as well as AD of course.

I don't mind the Frazier hire but I hope he puts together a great staff, which McDaniels would be a really nice start.

marshallb
01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Kevin Williams has been added to the pro bowl roster (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/113083449.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUz33Dii_9PmP:Qi_17cQ iU47cQU17cQ_bDaEP7U)

Vikes99ej
01-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Kevin Williams has been added to the pro bowl roster (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/113083449.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUz33Dii_9PmP:Qi_17cQ iU47cQU17cQ_bDaEP7U)

Congrats to him, still my favorite player on the team.

vikes_28
01-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I would really like it if McDaniels was our OC. He's groomed a couple good QB's, and maybe he could convince Frazier to bring in Orton to help polish up a rookie QB or Joe Webb.

FuzzyGopher
01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Doesn't sound like McDaniels will be coaching here next year. I'm kind of confused as to why we interviewed him in the first place. Frazier stated that he wants to go to a run heavy power offense, which is pretty much the opposite of what McDaniels has been running the past few years. I'm not saying he's not capable of running more than a spread type offense, but it seems it would make sense for him to stick with what he is comfortable with.

It would be fun to see Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe and Peterson in a spread but I think that with the personnel we currently have a grind it out run heavy philosophy fits best.

vikes_28
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
So guys...Aso is a free agent...

russie
01-09-2011, 06:14 PM
god, how great would that be if we could land one of the top 2 corners in the league

prock
01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
So guys...Aso is a free agent...

This better happen.

wogitalia
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Aso would be ultra sweet to get but I have to think there are several better teams that will be bidding pretty hard on him...

LonghornsLegend
01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Doesn't sound like McDaniels will be coaching here next year. I'm kind of confused as to why we interviewed him in the first place. Frazier stated that he wants to go to a run heavy power offense, which is pretty much the opposite of what McDaniels has been running the past few years. I'm not saying he's not capable of running more than a spread type offense, but it seems it would make sense for him to stick with what he is comfortable with.

It would be fun to see Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe and Peterson in a spread but I think that with the personnel we currently have a grind it out run heavy philosophy fits best.

Exactly. McDaniels is a great offensive mind and QB coach but Adrian Peterson is the base of your offense and while he is a fit in any type of offense McDaniels didn't seem like the ideal fit.

russie
01-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Darrell Bevell, Brian Murphy on their way out in Minnesota

Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2011, 10:11 PM EST

Although new Vikings coach Leslie Frazier has yet to part ways with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell or special-teams coordinator Brian Murphy, it’s just a matter of time.

Frazier has informed both men that they are free to look for other jobs.

“We’re trying to get some things done,” Frazier told Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “We’ll make some decisions here real soon.”

In other words, Frazier will soon be hiring a new offensive coordinator, and a new special-teams coordinator.

“One of the things I’m trying to do with all of our coaches, whether you’re on the offensive side, defensive side or special teams is just look at everything with an eye towards winning a championship in Minnesota,” Frazier said. “Whichever direction we go in any of those positions or coordinators — running backs, linebackers, defensive backs — I just want our fans to know that the point of it is that we’re working towards winning a championship with every decision, and that’s the whole goal of it.”

Bevell’s looming departure means that the Vikings will be ditching the West Coast offense. It also means that the chances of yet another Brett Favre return have plummeted to less than zero percent.

Former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels recently interviewed for the position of offensive coordinator, which would put the Vikings in play for Tim Tebow or, perhaps more likely, Kyle Orton.

vikes_28
01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
I like how Frazier is cleaning house and doing things his way.

I thought someone said that McDaniels was out of the running for OC.

Kid_Ego
01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
You will have a hard time finding any defensive coach who suppourts a pass heavy offense most will lean towards run heavy ball control offensives. I think we have roster to do something like the 90 cowboys I think it starts with a ball control qb.

wogitalia
01-11-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm interested in McDaniels, the offense he ran in the first 8 weeks at Denver was actually a run heavy and based offense, if he is going to bring that with him then he could be an excellent fit for our team as we need a QB developed and we have the other pieces in place or can acquire them in the draft.

We need a few pieces but a good draft would have us looking very competitive outside of our QB situation.

I actually wouldn't hate seeing us in a spread similar to what Florida ran under Meyer in that it would be run based. Harvin is obviously brilliantly suited to a spread, Rice would be a great field stretcher, Peterson has become a good catcher and would really benefit from a bit of extra pace. The spread doesn't have to be pass heavy and as long as we are balanced with a slight emphasis on pass I don't really care how we achieve it!

marshallb
01-12-2011, 08:17 PM
So, our 2011 opponents have been announced. (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/An-Early-Look-At-The-Vikings-2011-Opponents/569c7c2f-d680-4353-a33d-8ce1f0b9eadd)

Home Games

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Arizona Cardinals, Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos.

Away Games

Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Washington Redskins, Carolina Panthers, Atlanta Falcons, San Diego Chargers and Kansas City Chiefs.

We've got the NFC South and AFC West, plus each team in the NFC North will play one team from the NFC East(we get Washington) and NFC West(we get Arizona), since we finished with the worst record in our division we play the teams with the worst record in those divisions.

vikes_28
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
So, our 2011 opponents have been announced. (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/An-Early-Look-At-The-Vikings-2011-Opponents/569c7c2f-d680-4353-a33d-8ce1f0b9eadd)

We've got the NFC South and AFC West, plus each team in the NFC North will play one team from the NFC East(we get Washington) and NFC West(we get Arizona), since we finished with the worst record in our division we play the teams with the worst record in those divisions.

Booo no giants.

wogitalia
01-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Meh we get the AFC West now that Oakland and KC actually look respectable. NFC South is kind of nasty.

Another tough schedule!

vikes_28
01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Meh we get the AFC West now that Oakland and KC actually look respectable. NFC South is kind of nasty.

Another tough schedule!

Didn't the vikes have two teams from the NFC south last year?

wogitalia
01-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Didn't the vikes have two teams from the NFC south last year?

I can only think of the Saints in week 1 and I can't think of any reason why we would have though?

GB12
01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
It's impossible to have two (or 0 or 3). You either have 1 or 4.

yo123
01-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Yeah I think vikes meant the good year as last year but we only had the Saints this year and no NFC South teams in 2009;

Super late edit- We played the Panthers in 09 actually.

marshallb
01-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Singletary confirmed that he's joining our staff as LB coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6033462)

Mike Singletary told ESPN 1000 on Tuesday that he is joining the Minnesota Vikings staff, where he will be reunited with former Chicago Bears teammate Leslie Frazier.

"I will be in Minnesota with Les," Singletary told "The Waddle & Silvy Show." "I will be a linebackers coach/assistant head coach."

Singletary was fired as the San Francisco 49ers head coach with one game left in the season.

Singletary and Frazier were teammates on the Bears' 1985 Super Bowl championship team.

Frazier became the Vikings head coach when Brad Childress was fired in November.

vikes_28
01-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Singletary confirmed that he's joining our staff as LB coach (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6033462)

Interesting.

Apparently Bill Musgrave is meeting in Minnesota tonight. And Josh McDaniels is still in the running for OC apparrently as well.

russie
01-18-2011, 02:23 PM
now that the singletary addition is official, maybe greenway will get the respect and recognition he deserves

prock
01-18-2011, 02:24 PM
I am quite happy with Singletary.

MNtoWA Guy
01-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Now that McDaniels is officially out of the running for OC I can't same I am not glad. Sure the guy is talented, but I never saw how he would fit with this team. The Vikings are a team built to run the football with AP, a big bodied offensive line, and good run-blocking TE's. McDaniels embodies all that is the opposite of that with his pass-happy offense. I really hope the Vikings can bring in Musgrave as OC. I really like how he helped develop Matt Ryan, and regardless of what we decide to do in the draft we are going to have a young QB in need of development.

I really hope whoever becomes our OC utilizes our TE's more in the running game. I think AP would be able to run so much more effectively if we use more 2 TE sets with no FB. AP has good vision and burst already, but I think being set back farther from the offensive line without having to wait for his FB to lead through a hole would actually help him. He would be able to see the hole as it is opening and hit it at almost full speed. I also wouldn't mind not seeing Tahi on the field, never thought he was that great of a lead blocker anyway.

wogitalia
01-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Now that McDaniels is officially out of the running for OC I can't same I am not glad. Sure the guy is talented, but I never saw how he would fit with this team.

Little disappointed with it myself but I think that the offense he ran with Denver in the first half of his first season is closer to what he wanted to run but he just didn't have horses from that point on. That said, anything has to be better than last year for us so that's a win...

Musgrave would be a really nice fit though, I like what he did with Atlanta, though I wouldn't mind him being a little bit more aggressive going downfield at times, but that could have as much to do with Ryan and the receivers as the actual playcalling, it also probably wasn't ideal with their line needing some protecting at times and not wanting to expose it which is very similar to how our line will almost certainly look as I've heard nothing of getting rid of the turnstile(McKinnie) and if we aren't addressing his complete lack of ability then it would seem we aren't addressing the line at all.

I really hope whoever becomes our OC utilizes our TE's more in the running game. I think AP would be able to run so much more effectively if we use more 2 TE sets with no FB. AP has good vision and burst already, but I think being set back farther from the offensive line without having to wait for his FB to lead through a hole would actually help him. He would be able to see the hole as it is opening and hit it at almost full speed. I also wouldn't mind not seeing Tahi on the field, never thought he was that great of a lead blocker anyway.

Agree with this entirely. I really dislike Tahi, I don't think he is any good at all and still think letting Richardson go was one of our worst personnel moves in recent times. We do have good blocking TEs so it would make sense to use them more. I also like the idea of a lot of single back stuff for AP, be it 2 TE or 3 WR sets but either way I'd like less Tahi.

The only flaw in that plan is that our line needs to get better by a lot in both pass and run blocking. Tahi's main job seemed to be making up for missed assignments on the line rather than actually opening holes or getting AP into space. We also needed him out there to protect on pass plays if we wanted to use Peterson as a receiver at all and he is dangerous as a receiver.

Overall I think that OL is our biggest need outside of QB and secondary but that it also may be the most important part to address as it wont matter who is at QB if we protect like we did last year, there is a reason we got down to our third string QB and really I think Webb is as good a fit back there as any of the 1st rounders this year with how bad our OL was, at least he can run and is cheap.

I almost feel like we should just bite the bullet and rebuild because I cant see us competing with the Packers in the next few years as we are currently made up. You can't have no secondary, adequate LBs and a good DL and hope to contain teams, we basically rely on Greenway far too much at LB and the DL to dominate to have a chance. Then we have a poor OL and no QB. You just can't hope to win in that scenario. I'd love us to take 2-3 OL hopefully headline by Carimi as the franchise LT we need and to get some serious secondary help as well. QB is going to be strong next year so unless there is just too much value to resist on one of this years I'd rather address it next year, we have a young RB and WRs, get the OL sorted then get the passer imo. Defense seems to be far easier to address with free agency.

marshallb
01-19-2011, 04:59 PM
According to sources, Bill Musgrave agrees to be Minnesota Vikings Offensive Coordinator (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6038617)

Bill Musgrave has agreed to become the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings, according to league sources.

The Vikings beat out the Browns for Musgrave's services. Cleveland offered Musgrave the same job and assured him he would eventually assume play-calling duties from new head coach Pat Shurmur.

Musgrave's contract is still being negotiated and an announcement is expected once a contract is finalized.

The Browns aggressively pursued Musgrave, attempting to lure him to Cleveland even while he was interviewing with new Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier.

Musgrave was the assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach for the Atlanta Falcons in 2010.

EDIT: Star Tribune also has confirmed it (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/114235114.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUz33Dii_9PmP:Qi_17cQ iU47cQU17cQ_bDaEP7U)

russie
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
doesnt really matter in regards to the vikes, but it is a former assistant

Report: Seahawks offer coordinator job to Bevell

Posted by Evan Silva on January 19, 2011, 7:27 PM EST

The Seahawks’ offensive coordinator search looked to be in disarray as recently as early this afternoon, with presumed target Josh McDaniels landing in St. Louis and 2010 quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch gone to the University of Miami. ESPN’s Adam Schefter indicated in a Wednesday evening tweet that former Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has been Pete Carroll’s favorite for the job all along, however, and Schefter’s colleague has taken it a step further.

According to ESPN’s John Clayton, the Seahawks have formally offered Bevell their offensive coordinator job.

Bevell was reportedly in Seattle Tuesday for a two-day interview, at the end of which the proposal was made. Negotiations are expected to be finalized “within the next day.”

Bevell was the Vikings’ offensive coordinator for the last five years. In total yards, Minnesota ranked 23rd, 13th, 17th, 5th, and 23rd during Bevell’s tenure. They were 26th, 15th, 12th, 2nd, and 29th in points scored.

The_Dude
01-19-2011, 07:47 PM
doesnt really matter in regards to the vikes, but it is a former assistant

Report: Seahawks offer coordinator job to Bevell

Posted by Evan Silva on January 19, 2011, 7:27 PM EST

The Seahawks’ offensive coordinator search looked to be in disarray as recently as early this afternoon, with presumed target Josh McDaniels landing in St. Louis and 2010 quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch gone to the University of Miami. ESPN’s Adam Schefter indicated in a Wednesday evening tweet that former Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell has been Pete Carroll’s favorite for the job all along, however, and Schefter’s colleague has taken it a step further.

According to ESPN’s John Clayton, the Seahawks have formally offered Bevell their offensive coordinator job.

Bevell was reportedly in Seattle Tuesday for a two-day interview, at the end of which the proposal was made. Negotiations are expected to be finalized “within the next day.”

Bevell was the Vikings’ offensive coordinator for the last five years. In total yards, Minnesota ranked 23rd, 13th, 17th, 5th, and 23rd during Bevell’s tenure. They were 26th, 15th, 12th, 2nd, and 29th in points scored.

Oh, it matters....

wogitalia
01-20-2011, 02:40 AM
Well it would seem that the NFL coaching system continues to be a buddy league with a guy like Bevell getting an OC gig.

Musgrave is a good pickup. Be interesting to see if we nab him a QB now to groom or if we wait until next year.

russie
01-20-2011, 06:10 AM
some "news", pretty sure i wouldnt be very happy:

Craig Johnson hire could open the door for Vince Young to Vikings

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2011, 6:45 AM EST

Vince Young said Wednesday that he intends to be a starting quarterback in 2011. In Minnesota, he’d instantly be installed at the top of the depth chart.

Paving the way for VY to MN could be the possible hiring of Titans running backs coach Craig Johnson by the Vikings.

Darren McFarland of TitanInsider.com reports that Johnson could be joining the Vikings. McFarland says that Johnson has a close relationship with Vikings coach Leslie Frazier. Also, Johnson was the quarterbacks coach in Tennessee through 2009. Last year, he was moved to running backs coach after Kennedy Pola bailed for USC in the days before training camp.

Though the Titans may want to try to trade Young, the fact that he’s owed $4.25 million on the fifth day of the 2011 league year (which may or may not begin on March 4) coupled with a high base salary in 2011 means that he’ll most likely be cut. Because he has five years of NFL service, he’d be an unrestricted free agent, and thus free to sign with any other team in the league.

vikes_28
01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
Oh god....

the_legend_killer
01-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Vince Young, oh boy.

General Zod
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
Fellas, we could do a lot worse then Vince Young. As long as his head is right. Im not totally oppose to this.

Vikes99ej
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
I definitely like the Singletary and Musgrave hirings. So far so good gentlemen!

The Dynasty
01-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Im very happy about the coaches signings that the Vikings have done. Really excited to see Musgrave and what he does with the offense. As for the Vince Young doors opening, I wouldnt mind it but I think id only do it if We cant get someone else. I still much rather have Locker than young But the only thing Young does is Win games. So We will see but I much rather have a Rookie QB than Vince Young.

vikes_28
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
saw on NFL Network today, that Manure Williams is a finalist for walter payton man of the year award. I had to do a double take.

djp
01-24-2011, 02:41 PM
saw on NFL Network today, that Manure Williams is a finalist for walter payton man of the year award. I had to do a double take.

Why? He's always been great in terms of giving back. Doesn't surprise me at all. He's a good guy - just a terrible, terrible NFL safety.

FuzzyGopher
01-24-2011, 02:54 PM
It would be awesome if he was as good at playing safety as he is at philanthropy.

djp
01-24-2011, 02:57 PM
It would be awesome if he was as good at playing safety as he is at philanthropy.

Correction: It would be awesome if he was half as good at playing safety as he is at philanthropy.

Crazy_Chris
01-24-2011, 05:31 PM
some "news", pretty sure i wouldnt be very happy:

Craig Johnson hire could open the door for Vince Young to Vikings

Posted by Mike Florio on January 20, 2011, 6:45 AM EST

Vince Young said Wednesday that he intends to be a starting quarterback in 2011. In Minnesota, he’d instantly be installed at the top of the depth chart.

Paving the way for VY to MN could be the possible hiring of Titans running backs coach Craig Johnson by the Vikings.

Darren McFarland of TitanInsider.com reports that Johnson could be joining the Vikings. McFarland says that Johnson has a close relationship with Vikings coach Leslie Frazier. Also, Johnson was the quarterbacks coach in Tennessee through 2009. Last year, he was moved to running backs coach after Kennedy Pola bailed for USC in the days before training camp.

Though the Titans may want to try to trade Young, the fact that he’s owed $4.25 million on the fifth day of the 2011 league year (which may or may not begin on March 4) coupled with a high base salary in 2011 means that he’ll most likely be cut. Because he has five years of NFL service, he’d be an unrestricted free agent, and thus free to sign with any other team in the league.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Please keep Vince Young far away from this team.

MNtoWA Guy
01-24-2011, 09:24 PM
What does everyone here think about trading for Carson Palmer? Also, what do you think it would take to get him?

Personally, I like the idea of bringing Palmer in and feel we could get him for a 4th-5th round draft choice (maybe even less as he has been on the decline). He has talent (1 Pro-Bowl appearance and some impressive statistics at times), but has also had some injuries (Terrible Triad in 2005, torn elbow ligament 2008). The guy hasn't looked the same since his first 3 seasons as the starting QB in Cincy, but he is only 31 and could be a serviceable 1-2 year stop-gap. We are going to need some sort of steady veteran presence at QB next year, whether the veteran is the starter or backup/mentor. Going into next year with Joe Webb, Rhett Bomar, and a rookie QB (I am sure we will be selecting one at some point in this year's draft) as our only options would be a disaster.

prock
01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
He won't get traded, but if we could get him for a fourth I would be fine with it.

vikes_28
01-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Why? He's always been great in terms of giving back. Doesn't surprise me at all. He's a good guy - just a terrible, terrible NFL safety.
I never doubted that he was a good guy, just saying, I was half watching tv and half messing around on the computer and then heard his name and was like..."whaaaat" lol. I think it's cool though, he would be pretty deserving of the reward despite him being a terrible player.

Vikes99ej
01-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Carson Palmer > Vince Young. I doubt we will be able to draft any of the premier first round QBs.

GB12
01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
He won't get traded, but if we could get him for a fourth I would be fine with it.
Isn't that what you gave up for Sage Rosenfels?

prock
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Isn't that what you gave up for Sage Rosenfels?

That is correct.

jsang74
01-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I really don't wanna see us get rid of draft picks. I don't think trading for Carson Palmer gets us closer to a super bowl, building through the draft could though. We already wasted a third on Moss.

wogitalia
01-28-2011, 03:01 AM
I think we need too much to worry so much about QB. I'd be perfectly happy with a savvy veteran that we pick up in Free Agency and waiting for next years draft. We are in the tough position of having some studs but a lot of holes.

Would love to see us load up on OL and secondary help this draft and get the other parts next year.

russie
01-31-2011, 04:17 PM
NFL Gives Real Reason For E.J. Henderson Not Playing In Pro Bowl
by Christopher Gates on Jan 31, 2011 2:29 PM CST in Vikings

Well, it turns out that Vikings' linebacker E.J. Henderson didn't play in the Pro Bowl last night after all. The line had been that Henderson had withdrawn from the game for "personal reasons."

Turns out that, as with most matters concerning the Vikings and the NFL league office, the "line" was a steaming pile of crap.

According to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Henderson was supposed to replace Saints' linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who had originally said that he couldn't take part in the game for "personal reasons," but then came back and said that he could play after all. So, Henderson trundled all the way out to Hawai'i, only to find out that he wasn't needed to actually. . .you know. . .play in the game.

Nicely done, Jonathan Vilma and the National Football League. Maybe the league can give him a formal apology while they're handing the Comeback Player of the Year Award that Henderson deserves to someone that deserves it significantly less. . .incidentally, that award will be given out this evening on the NFL Network at about 6:00 PM Central time.

On the bright side for Henderson, since he did have to schlep all the way out there for the game, he will receive the $45,000 winner's share for the NFC. Since it appears that he took at least a few of his fellow linebackers on the trip with him, he ought to just about break even.

GB12
01-31-2011, 04:19 PM
So he got a free trip to Hawaii and $45k without even having to play in the game, which most players don't want to do anyway. Where's the problem?

russie
01-31-2011, 10:54 PM
Everson Griffen arrested, tasered

Posted by Mike Florio on January 31, 2011, 11:46 PM EST

Only a few days after the “Days without an Arrest” meter drifted into double digits, it’s time to knock it back to zero.

According to the Daily Trojan, Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen was arrested Monday in Los Angeles on charges of felony battery.

Griffen was pulled over at the intersection of 30th and Hoover Streets. He reportedly became aggressive when he was questioned by officers. He then fled (always a good idea), and he assaulted one of the pursuing officers (an ever better idea).

The adventure ended with a Taser gun and a felony charge.

A fourth-round pick of the Vikings in the 2010 draft, Griffen appeared in 11 games as a rookie, making 11 tackles.

prock
01-31-2011, 10:55 PM
****. ****. ****. God damnit.

wogitalia
02-01-2011, 12:51 AM
Bam... and just like that those character concerns strike!

Honestly... what more can go wrong this season, draft Newton?

Squirrel
02-01-2011, 09:57 AM
hey guys, i am fairly new to this forum. been reading but never really post. i just wanted to see what some of you guys think of this idea. i hate suggesting it because adrian peterson was mainly the only reason i watched the vikings this year, but maybe the vikings should consider trading him. he is going to be turning 26 years old and maybe has 3 or 4 good years at best in him, especially the way he runs. plus, with no answer at QB possibly for a few more years if we draft one, teams will be stacking 8 or 9 men in the box anyways. So why not trade AP for at least two first rounders while you can still get something for him. just an idea........

vikes_28
02-01-2011, 01:10 PM
So why not trade AP for at least two first rounders while you can still get something for him. just an idea........

Well it is a horrible idea. Why trade what's proven for something that's totally unproven? He's the face of our franchise, And like you said, he's the only reason most of us kept watching the vikings in this horrid season. Trading Adrian Peterson would make a season that was the worst, 10x worse than that.

Welcome to SWDC btw.

Vikes99ej
02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
hey guys, i am fairly new to this forum. been reading but never really post. i just wanted to see what some of you guys think of this idea. i hate suggesting it because adrian peterson was mainly the only reason i watched the vikings this year, but maybe the vikings should consider trading him. he is going to be turning 26 years old and maybe has 3 or 4 good years at best in him, especially the way he runs. plus, with no answer at QB possibly for a few more years if we draft one, teams will be stacking 8 or 9 men in the box anyways. So why not trade AP for at least two first rounders while you can still get something for him. just an idea........

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4685372/LOL-how-bout-no.jpg

Crazy_Chris
02-01-2011, 06:28 PM

The only way I would see that as a even somewhat realistic possibility is if it were for a Franchise QB. Otherwise trading him makes no sense as it would set the Vikings wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.

I also don't see it as a realistic possibility from the Owners viewpoint. They need Adrian to keep people somewhat excited about the Vikings. They are desperatly trying to get a new stadium they need to keep their most exciting player who is unquestionably the face of the Franchise.

russie
02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
The only way I would see that as a even somewhat realistic possibility is if it were for a Franchise QB. Otherwise trading him makes no sense as it would set the Vikings wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.

I also don't see it as a realistic possibility from the Owners viewpoint. They need Adrian to keep people somewhat excited about the Vikings. They are desperatly trying to get a new stadium they need to keep their most exciting player who is unquestionably the face of the Franchise.

only way i could see it is if it were a herschel walker type trade(only this time, in our favor)

also:

Everson Griffen won’t face felony charges

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2011, 7:04 PM EST

On Monday, Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen allegedly assaulted a police officer. His reward? A Taser shot and a felony battery charge.

On Tuesday, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office decided that felony charges won’t be pursued against Griffen, according to Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Griffen could still face charges in the future. In addition to the public intoxication charges he faces from last Friday.

russie
02-06-2011, 12:23 AM
not a good day for viking players past and present. cris carter got shafted on the hall of fame again, and ej henderson didnt win the comeback player of the year... what does ej have to do to get some recognition? have his leg completely fall off and come back the next season and play at the same high level he has?

vikes_28
02-06-2011, 11:51 PM
On a happier note (thanks russie), Madieu Williams won the Walter Payton Man of the Year award. I guess that can be something to be happy about right? Congrats Madieu!

Crazy_Chris
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
not a good day for viking players past and present. cris carter got shafted on the hall of fame again, and ej henderson didnt win the comeback player of the year... what does ej have to do to get some recognition? have his leg completely fall off and come back the next season and play at the same high level he has?

Carter isn't going to get in next year either since this is the second year in a row that Carter was cut in the first round and Andre Reed wasn't. That is unless of course they decide to elect 2 WRs in the same class. I Don't know why but for some reason the HOF voters are favoring Andre Reed over Cris Carter.

russie
02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Carter isn't going to get in next year either since this is the second year in a row that Carter was cut in the first round and Andre Reed wasn't. That is unless of course they decide to elect 2 WRs in the same class. I Don't know why but for some reason the HOF voters are favoring Andre Reed over Cris Carter.

dont forget tim brown is in the mix also.

on a brighter note:

2012 could be year to break Hall of Fame logjam

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 5, 2011, 9:05 PM EST

Saturday’s Hall of Fame announcement was particularly frustrating for Cris Carter and Tim Brown supporters because the receivers seem as far away from enshrinement as ever.

Carter and Brown didn’t make the cut to the ten finalists. Bills wideout Andre Reed did make the final ten, and is clearly going to get in ahead of them. Cortez Kennedy, Willie Roaf, Curtis Martin, and Dermontti Dawson all made the final ten.

Gary Myers of the New York Daily News wrote the following tweet on Martin:

“I made presentation for Curtis Martin in HOF meeting today,” Myers said. “I am very optimistic he gets in next year. He deserves it.”

Some Carter supporters may disagree, but we believe Martin, Roaf, Kennedy, Dawson, and Reed are stronger candidates than the Vikings receiver.

The bright side: Next year is a great time to break the logjam.

MDS did a piece looking ahead at future Hall of Fame classes for the PFT Season Preview. He noted that Will Shields, Bill Parcells, and Tiki Barber are the strongest first-ballot nominees next year. Shields should seem to have a great chance, and Parcells will likely get in eventually. Barber probably won’t make the final 15.

If a player doesn’t get in next year, they could wind up waiting a while. The 2013 first ballot class is very impressive: Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Warren Sapp, and Michael Strahan are all extremely strong first ballot candidates.

russie
02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
unlike sidney rice waiting til the last minute:

Kevin Williams has knee surgery

Posted by Mike Florio on February 12, 2011, 12:44 PM EST

Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams has undergone arthroscopic knee surgery, according to Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

The procedure was performed this week by Dr. James Andrews.

Williams reportedly does not have significant damage. Instead, the surgery resulted from irritation that he experienced during the season.

He passed on an opportunity to replace Lions rookie Ndamukong Suh not due to injury but because of the impending birth of a child.

FuzzyGopher
02-12-2011, 12:43 PM
I think he's always had bad knees so I'm not too surprised.

I just read somewhere today that scouts have been breaking down Blaine Gabbert's film and they aren't coming away too impressed. So now we have Mallet, Locker, and Gabbert slowly having their stock fall. The more I think about it the more I want Prince in the first and take Ponder in the second. The gap between the 2nd tier Qbs and the supposed 1st tier guys seems to be closing as the combine and draft approach. This could all change of course with private workouts and interviews, but I like to put a lot of stock on film and not what a guy can do when he has a pre-planned workout where he is throwing to his favorite receivers running practiced routes. Anyways, that's just some random thoughts I've had in my head, a lot can change between now and the draft but at this point I'm not liking any of the QBs at 12.

Heisman
02-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Ehh I'm not that big on Prince but he does seem like a Vikings CB. Big, good at press coverage, questionable ball skills. I would be okay with drafting a non-QB in the first like you suggested as long as we get Ponder in the 2nd. He could be a beast in Musgrave's quasi-WC offense.

But hey if Gabbert is falling I say take him at 12, let him sit behind Webb for a year, and if Webb rocks trade Gabbert for a first and if Webb is unspectacular (more likely) then start Gabbert in year 2.

marshallb
02-12-2011, 10:53 PM
I think he's always had bad knees so I'm not too surprised.

I just read somewhere today that scouts have been breaking down Blaine Gabbert's film and they aren't coming away too impressed. So now we have Mallet, Locker, and Gabbert slowly having their stock fall. The more I think about it the more I want Prince in the first and take Ponder in the second. The gap between the 2nd tier Qbs and the supposed 1st tier guys seems to be closing as the combine and draft approach. This could all change of course with private workouts and interviews, but I like to put a lot of stock on film and not what a guy can do when he has a pre-planned workout where he is throwing to his favorite receivers running practiced routes. Anyways, that's just some random thoughts I've had in my head, a lot can change between now and the draft but at this point I'm not liking any of the QBs at 12.

Ehhh... I'd be more than fine with Prince Amukamara, but I don't think he'll be there. As far as Ponder goes, with the top tier QBs values dropping, Ponder's value's gonna go down as well, and couple that with a mediocre senior season and injury concerns, and he's more of a 3rd-4th round guy to me now, and this is coming from a guy who LOVED Ponder coming into the year and saw him potentially as a mid first rounder.

Kid_Ego
02-15-2011, 03:34 PM
i dont understand the rush in this draft to select a qb there are no great ones only projects take a lineman in the first there are plenty of good offensive and defensive linemen all would be a huge help. we can get a cover 2 corner in the fourth its not like they need to play man often zone corners should never be early draft picks. with our second we take a qb most likely there will be atleast daulton ponder mallet stanzi kaepernick to me there isnt alot of diffrence in any of those guys they all are good but not great picks.

1. solder,cameron
2.Daulton,Kaepernick
4.corner/lb
5.lb/wr/cb/dl
5. same
6. same
7. same

for the record stansi is no better then a 4th anyway

General Zod
02-20-2011, 01:52 PM
lol always the baller..

http://www.tmz.com/2011/02/18/nfl-bryant-mckinnie-hollywood-nightclub-bar-tab-100000-myhouse-minnesota-vikings-rick-ross-rosa-acosta/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

prock
02-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Damnit McKinnie lol. How about instead of dropping $100,000 on booze FOR ONE NIGHT give it to me so a young man can get a free college education.

General Zod
02-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Damnit McKinnie lol. How about instead of dropping $100,000 on booze FOR ONE NIGHT give it to me so a young man can get a free college education.

Or maybe buy some videos or get find a trainer on how to be a better lineman. lol

FuzzyGopher
02-20-2011, 05:52 PM
That sound you just heard was his financial advisor having an aneurysm.

BuckNaked
02-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Bob Sanders rumors..me getting a woody.

The_Dude
02-20-2011, 07:04 PM
Bob Sanders.... does that perk anyone else up? I would be thrilled to have him, but only if it could come on an incentive based contract. A connection with Frazier could help.

BuckNaked
02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Bob Sanders.... does that perk anyone else up? I would be thrilled to have him, but only if it could come on an incentive based contract. A connection with Frazier could help.

I perked from six to midnight, lemme tell ya.

The_Dude
02-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Bob Sanders rumors..me getting a woody.

you beat me to it only by seconds! if only i wouldn't have typed so much....

FuzzyGopher
02-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Who is better, Bob Sanders on IR or Madieu Williams? I vote bob Sanders. I'd like to sign him if we gave him an incentive heavy contract, the guys gotta play to earn that chedda'.

Heisman
02-20-2011, 07:41 PM
Am I the only one who prefers OJ Atogwe to Sanders?

prock
02-20-2011, 07:44 PM

If Bob is healthy, then yes.

Heisman
02-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Well, obviously if Sanders is healthy he is the better player but i would prefer to sign Otogwe to a multi-year deal compared to taking a flyer on Sanders. I just want to shore up that position, no questions asked. I wouldn't want to deal with the ups-and-downs with a player who has missed more games than he has played.

(That doesn't mean I wouldn't want Sanders, because I would love him, but if i had to pick between signing Otogwe or Sanders, I would pick Otogwe for health reasons)

General Zod
02-20-2011, 09:35 PM
I think that Sanders coming here is a real possibility. And as long as we dont spend a bunch of money on and make the contract heavily incentive based, then Im all for it.

The_Dude
02-20-2011, 09:42 PM
as an aside.... where the hell has Vikes_28 been?

russie
02-21-2011, 06:23 AM

could you imagine if we got lucky and landed both? i think i would take atogwe over sanders also just because of the health issues

General Zod
02-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Tag, your it Chad! lol

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/02/21/greenway.ap/index.html

FuzzyGopher
02-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Thank God, we better lock him up long-term after the new CBA. Greenway is a stud and I'll be pissed if we let him walk.

russie
02-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank God, we better lock him up long-term after the new CBA. Greenway is a stud and I'll be pissed if we let him walk.

ditto, i'd rather see rice leave before greenway.

Vikes99ej
02-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Just get Rice signed and I'm happy in regards to signing current UFAs on our team. **** everyone else.

Oh, and I doubt we get either Sanders or OJ.

DBNYDP
02-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Assume Edwards wasn't a free agent.
Ray Edwards for Jason Babin and a Third sound reasonable?
I'm doing a mock GM sort of thing and just want to get a consensus of how that trade would be.

Kid_Ego
02-22-2011, 07:41 AM
uhm I cant imagine anyone offering a third for edwards hardly a replacement and a third

prock
02-22-2011, 07:37 PM
uhm I cant imagine anyone offering a third for edwards hardly a replacement and a third

You wouldn't give a third rounder for eight sacks and exceptional run defense? What the **** do you expect to get out of a third rounder? God damn Peyton Manning?

GB12
02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
You wouldn't give a third rounder for eight sacks and exceptional run defense? What the **** do you expect to get out of a third rounder? God damn Peyton Manning?

Randy Moss.

yo123
02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I'd give a third for Ray Edwards. He's always been underrated among Vikings' fans I think, he didn't have the best year last year but then again he wasn't happy at all with the whole contract negotiation ordeal last offseason. In the right situation he can be a beast, he gets more pressure on the QB than his sack numbers would lead you to believe and he's good against the run.

djp
02-22-2011, 07:49 PM
I'd give a third for Ray Edwards. He's always been underrated among Vikings' fans I think, he didn't have the best year last year but then again he wasn't happy at all with the whole contract negotiation ordeal last offseason. In the right situation he can be a beast, he gets more pressure on the QB than his sack numbers would lead you to believe and he's good against the run.

If Ray Edwards came with a new contract that didn't overpay him, then I'd pay a 3rd. You're trading for a guy without a contract who is pissed off he didn't get one last year, probably gonna have to overpay to get Edwards. There's just such a fine line for that second contract, you really need to invest your money wisely and be careful not to give borderline players huge contracts.

I think he's a solid player, but he won't be worth what he'll get from his next contract. We will have to pay full market value for the guy.

yo123
02-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah you're probably right, and with a guy like Ray you always have to wonder about attitude and motivation. He's one of those guys who might just stop playing after getting paid. I've never been impressed with his attitude, but being that I don't value draft picks as highly as a lot of people here I'd be willing to take a chance with a third on him.

prock
02-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Randy Moss.

Touche. That hurt.

GB12
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I almost felt bad for that, but you set it up so perfectly that I had to.

djp
02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Yeah you're probably right, and with a guy like Ray you always have to wonder about attitude and motivation. He's one of those guys who might just stop playing after getting paid. I've never been impressed with his attitude, but being that I don't value draft picks as highly as a lot of people here I'd be willing to take a chance with a third on him.

2nds and 3rds are important, because they are incredibly cheap for the portion of their career that they are going to be the most useful. There are still very good players that get picked in rounds 2, 3 and 4 (Rice, Sidney; Edwards, Ray; Griffin, Cedric) that, with the salary cap, make it imperative to hit on a few of those guys. You have to have a good mix of rookies simply because the amount of money paid in round 1 and the lack of talent at the end of the draft. It's okay to lose a few of those picks, but you can't be doing it every year.

Bill B. from New England has been doing it for years, and now everyone's starting to catch on.

That said, I understand where you're coming from as well. If you can get a proven NFL upgrade at a position for a 3rd rounder and your roster has some young talent, it's definitely worth it.

djp
02-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Hey yo, you can watch your Timberwolves game, I'll be watching this

y_LHqdT0BbM

Haha, I'm just kidding. But you gotta admit, that was sick.

yo123
02-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Using the Wolves as your basketball example is not fair. But yeah that was pretty nasty. I'm rooting pretty hard for the Wild right now they're all I've got until the Twins start again. Even if the Gophers make the tourney all we can hope for is one ugly first round win and that's it. NHL playoffs with someone to root for are awesome.

djp
02-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Using the Wolves as your basketball example is not fair. But yeah that was pretty nasty. I'm rooting pretty hard for the Wild right now they're all I've got until the Twins start again. Even if the Gophers make the tourney all we can hope for is one ugly first round win and that's it. NHL playoffs with someone to root for are awesome.

That's true. Tubby Smith's excellent offensive schemes aren't exactly music to my ears either.

yo123
02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
Truth. The Gophers are the most pathetic Minnesota sports team we have right now. Even worse than the Wolves relative to the college game. Impossible to watch. Tubby needs to gtfo.

vikes_28
02-23-2011, 02:23 PM
as an aside.... where the hell has Vikes_28 been?

http://fivefullplates.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/5fp-oh-hai-bug.jpg

Vikes99ej
02-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Truth. The Gophers are the most pathetic Minnesota sports team we have right now. Even worse than the Wolves relative to the college game. Impossible to watch. Tubby needs to gtfo.

Do you really want Dan Monson back?

yo123
02-25-2011, 03:52 AM
Do you really want Dan Monson back?

No I want Clem Haskins back.

General Zod
02-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Encouraging news. I just hope that he signs, and then I hope we have an NFL season to watch him play in. lol

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27658603

russie
02-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Encouraging news. I just hope that he signs, and then I hope we have an NFL season to watch him play in. lol

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/27658603

i'm just waiting for him to sign the deal and decide to have surgery right before the season again so he misses more games. very unhappy with rice. i'm sure i'm alone on this, but i think the best outcome would have been to give him the highest restricted free agent tag, and have some team stupid enough to sign him to an offer sheet and give their first and third for him.

Vikes99ej
02-26-2011, 12:21 PM
I won't be heartbroken if Rice leaves. It's so easy to find sleeper WRs in the draft, i.e. Mike Williams, Mike Wallace, Eddie Royal

GB12
02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
I won't be heartbroken if Rice leaves. It's so easy to find sleeper WRs in the draft, i.e. Mike Williams, Mike Wallace, Eddie Royal

If it's so easy, then why haven't the Vikings found one in the past 20 years?

prock
02-26-2011, 01:24 PM

I will be. Mainly because I have an authentic Sidney jersey.

djp
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I will be. Mainly because I have an authentic Sidney jersey.

Same here. Got it last Christmas. I'll be pissed if he leaves.

prock
02-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Same here. Got it last Christmas. I'll be pissed if he leaves.

Yup, that would be terrible. I don't have money for a new one either haha. And I always have had a thing for tall, long, athletic receivers. I wouldn't even want anyone elses jersey.

The_Dude
02-27-2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/116990953.html

Its a good sign at the very least that that we are willing to offer up a deal even with the unease that the current labor situation has the league in.

Man, i hope that Rice stays. I love his potential & I too, have a Rice jersey that i don't want to throw on the pile of Moss, Culpepper, & Berger jerseys.

russie
02-27-2011, 09:14 PM
piss on sidney rice

Sidney Rice will not re-sign with Vikings before free agency

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 27, 2011, 9:55 PM EST

Sidney Rice has chosen to find out what’s behind door number two, after the labor mess is taken care.

Rice’s agent Drew Rosenhaus told Adam Schefter of ESPN that Rice will not re-sign with the Vikings before March 4. Minnesota made a multi-year offer to deal to Rice, but clearly it wasn’t close to being accepted.

Perhaps the Vikings just made an offer to appear like they are doing everything possible to keep Rice. It’s more likely that the team and Rosenhaus view Rice’s value very differently.

It’s possible that the Vikings could still try to place a restricted free agent tender on Rice, who is a four-year veteran. Under the rules of the uncapped year, fourth-year players were RFAs.

It’s expected that Rice will be an unrestricted free agent after a new CBA is reached, but the truth is we’re all just guessing at this point.

The_Dude
02-28-2011, 07:59 AM
son of a *****.... you beat me to it.

the_legend_killer
02-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Honestly not that surprised. He's going to try to cash in on his 2009 season. And he's got Rosenhaus in his ear to try to make that happen. Hope they can bring him back, but I'm glad they tagged Greenway instead of him.

General Zod
02-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Ok, so put WR on the list of needs this offseason.

The_Dude
02-28-2011, 06:47 PM
Honestly, i could be happy if the Vikes end up taking Julio Jones at 12.... i am undecided i who i want though....

BuckNaked
03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
There's no way we can go wide receiver again in round 1 considering how many other needs we have.

djp
03-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I'm betting the CBA just gets extended by a year or so, so I'm guessing we will keep Rice for at least another year.

russie
03-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Chad Greenway signs his franchise tender

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 1, 2011, 4:31 PM EST

Another NFL player has locked in his franchise tag salary, just in case the rules following a work stoppage aren’t so player-friendly.

Chad Greenway signed his one-year tender on Tuesday and will make more than $10 million in 2011. There was a chance that Greenway could have been a restricted free agent after a new CBA is reached, so signing the deal ensures his big salary.

The Vikings chose Greenway over Sidney Rice for the tag, who is likely to hit unrestricted free agency eventually.

Greenway joins Dolphins nose tackle Paul Soliai, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley and Panthers center Ryan Kalil as players that signed their tenders. Raiders linebacker Kamerion Wimbley is expected to sign his tender.

General Zod
03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
I feel a hell of a lot better about giving Greenway a long term deal then I do about Sidney Rice one.

marshallb
03-01-2011, 06:50 PM
I feel a hell of a lot better about giving Greenway a long term deal then I do about Sidney Rice one.

Yea. That's why I thought we would tag rice and sign Greenway to a long term deal, but I guess that they're quite afraid of the CBA and all of that as far as negotiations go.

FuzzyGopher
03-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Its no big deal if Rice walks, Harvin and Moss should pick up the slack just fine. Wait. ****. Eat **** Childress. Apparently Schefter said we might be cutting Berrian soon. We could be pretty thin at receiver next year.

russie
03-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Vikings issue RFA tenders to Sidney Rice, Ray Edwards, three others

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2011, 10:49 PM EST

Receiver Sidney Rice plans to test the free-agent waters before deciding whether to remain a Viking. If the Vikings have their way, he’ll do it as a restricted free agent.

Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the team has applied restricted free agency tenders to Rice, defensive end Ray Edwards, defensive end Brian Robison, safety Husain Abdullah, and offensive lineman Ryan Cook.

Rice and Edwards received first-round tenders; the rest were tendered at the second-round level.

Teams are applying the tenders because the rules of the uncapped year make players eligible for unrestricted free agency only after racking up six years of service. If the new labor deal (when there’s a new labor deal) reduces the threshold to the capped-year minimum of four, the RFA tenders presumably will evaporate.

So why are teams treating players who are destined to be unrestricted as if they’re restricted? It’s all part of the leverage game; if/when the union begins to make concessions on issues like the revenue formula or the length of the season or the rookie wage scale, the league can agree to move the trigger for unrestricted free agency from six to four years, and the players will be able to claim that they scored a victory at the bargaining table.

marshallb
03-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Definitely a smart move to do that. I think there's a much better chance that the league just extends the current CBA for a year than to get a new one done any time soon. Better to do this than possibly lose them for no reason.

the_legend_killer
03-03-2011, 01:09 PM
Yep, good move on doing it with him and Edwards. I'd much rather have Rice back over Edwards, but if either left and the rules stayed the same a first round pick would help the healing.

FuzzyGopher
03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I blame Paul Tagliabue for this whole mess, he threw together a ****** deal at the 11th hour and rode off into the sunset. Everyone knew when that thing was finalized that the owners would void it when the option became available after three years or whatever.

I'm pretty indifferent on who is right and who is wrong in terms of the players and owners. I don't give a **** what terms they come to, I just want my football damnit! It sucks not having the big free agency drama and trade speculation right now :(

General Zod
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
per Twitter:

RT @chipscoggins DE Brian Robison signed 3-yr deal worth $14.1 million and $6.5 million signing bonus.

I was hoping we would bring him back, so Im good with this move.

BuckNaked
03-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Whiffed on Atogwe and Sanders..sick.

marshallb
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Really glad to see us sign Robison. Definitely makes DE much less of a need. I would be fine with Robison starting at LE, but we could at least use some depth and if someone great falls to us I wouldn't mind taking them, although we have plenty of big needs.

Would have been nice to sign Sanders or Atogwe, but I definitely didn't expect it.

prock
03-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Gallery wants out of Oakland. What do you guys think of him as a Herrera upgrade?

russie
03-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Report: Vikings considered Orton, think Webb is “nowhere close”

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 6, 2011, 9:56 AM EST

The Denver Broncos say Kyle Orton is their starting quarterback. The Minnesota Vikings don’t know who their starting quarterback is. But the Vikings reportedly considered trying to pry Orton away from the Broncos.

Charley Walters of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings considered trading for Orton, but have backed off those plans.

Of course, a trade wouldn’t happen until the league year starts anyway, so whatever plans the Vikings backed off from would have had to be very preliminary. But once the league year starts, if the Broncos back away from their stance that Orton is the starter and move toward Tim Tebow (or anyone else), perhaps the Vikings would revisit those plans.

Walters’ report is also interesting because of what it says about the quarterback who would be, by default, the Vikings’ starter if they were assembling a depth chart of the players they have right now: Walters quotes unnamed Vikings insiders as saying that Webb is nowhere close to being an effective starter.

That would come as news to Webb, who said last month that he thinks he’s well-prepared to be the starting quarterback. But while Webb views himself as a starting quarterback, it seems more likely that the Vikings will bring in someone else to start. We just don’t know who that “someone” is.

Overall, the quarterback position for the Vikings in 2011 is anyone’s guess. Maybe we need to start the Brett Favre watch.

General Zod
03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Not surprising. And I agree while Webb has shown flashes of ability, he isnt ready to be a starting QB yet.

Crazy_Chris
03-07-2011, 02:22 PM
I can very well see them being interested in bringing in Carson Palmer, but that is if Mike Brown wouldn't be so damn stubborn for once.

Babylon
03-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Not surprising. And I agree while Webb has shown flashes of ability, he isnt ready to be a starting QB yet.

How credible is Paul Allen, your local sports radio guy? He was on our local talk sports station here in Seattle and he absolutely loves Jake Locker. I figured if Paul Allen (Seahawks owner) liked the kid he'd be a Seahawk but there seems to be another opinion. I also hear interest from Frazier and Spielman but i'm sure they wouldnt say it publicly.

prock
03-08-2011, 02:29 PM
How credible is Paul Allen, your local sports radio guy? He was on our local talk sports station here in Seattle and he absolutely loves Jake Locker. I figured if Paul Allen (Seahawks owner) liked the kid he'd be a Seahawk but there seems to be another opinion. I also hear interest from Frazier and Spielman but i'm sure they wouldnt say it publicly.

Not sure how credible he is as far as personnel judgment, but he is an awesome radio guy.

Babylon
03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Not sure how credible he is as far as personnel judgment, but he is an awesome radio guy.

I like the way he came across, our guy here tried to get him to go in differant directions like going for a Cam Newton or a Blaine Gabbert or even bringing in a Kolb or a McNabb and he was flat out sticking with Jake (of course i love that). He did say ideally they would bring in a veteran so they wouldnt have to play the rookie from day one but he seemed like it wasnt just an infatuation with a player, i felt he was onto something.

General Zod
03-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Its been rumored that the Vikes like Locker a lot. But nothing has been said publicly.

BuckNaked
03-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Its been rumored that the Vikes like Locker a lot. But nothing has been said publicly.

I just got a hard on

yo123
03-08-2011, 07:34 PM
No thank you.

yo123
03-08-2011, 07:35 PM

He's pretty much a moron, albeit a very entertaining one.

The_Dude
03-08-2011, 07:47 PM
that is a pretty liberal use of the word "entertaining". I hate Paul Allen in every possible way.

As far as Locker goes, that would be fine with me as long as we trade down & grab him. I just want to avoid starting a rookie QB, & allow him to develop for a season or two. Hopefully Musgrave is as good at developing qbs as advertised.

Who will the stop gap be? McNabb? Orton? Hasslewassle?

BuckNaked
03-08-2011, 08:03 PM
If we draft Locker, I would order a jersey the second we selected him.

jsang74
03-09-2011, 01:49 AM

Me too, a number 14, XXL.

vikes_28
03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't. I made that mistake with troy williamson.

BuckNaked
03-09-2011, 01:10 PM
I wouldn't. I made that mistake with troy williamson.

Hahaha wow that was a horrible call. But I've been a Locker fanboy ever since his freshman year so I still wouldn't mind. It's like me still wearing my Galinari Knicks shirt, it's ironic.

Heisman
03-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Where did you hear that its been rumored the vikings are high on locker? Because I really really really really want this to be true haha

General Zod
03-10-2011, 05:37 AM
I follow Judd and Chip on twitter, they mentioned it. Vikes scouts where giving him more attention at the combine then a lot of other QBs there. Im pretty sure Spielman also said it in a radio interview.

Like I said, nothing real solid, just bits and pieces here and there.

the_legend_killer
03-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Trade down a few spots and grabbing Locker would be ok by me.

marshallb
03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Trade down a few spots and grabbing Locker would be ok by me.

I could very easily see us moving down with New England to get our 3rd back and taking Locker there, with them moving up to get someone like Cameron Jordan or one of the OLB.

yo123
03-12-2011, 02:47 AM
I could very easily see us moving down with New England to get our 3rd back and taking Locker there, with them moving up to get someone like Cameron Jordan or one of the OLB.

The Pats trade down not up.

djp
03-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Kiper gives us Robert Quinn in Mock 3.0. That would make me very happy.

prock
03-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I would love Quinn. Quinn and Allen would be unbelievable.

Babylon
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM

The Vikes would probably need a backup plan because Locker could easily go to the Phins or the Jags.

General Zod
03-12-2011, 02:54 PM
The Vikes would probably need a backup plan because Locker could easily go to the Phins or the Jags.

Yeah, Locker wont make it out of the top 15. Which is why if we did take him at 12, I wouldnt have a beef with it. I'd also be very happy with Robert Quinn.

djp
03-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Chris Cook arrested. Not a good start to his career. Looked so good in the preseason, too.

russie
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Chris Cook arrested. Not a good start to his career. Looked so good in the preseason, too.

didnt look very good during the season, then got hurt. it's time to get rid of the dumbasses like him and everson griffen. i wasn't very happy when we traded out of the first round and made him our first pick.

here's the story for those that havent seen it yet:

Chris Cook busted for brandishing a handgun

Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2011, 3:52 PM EDT

The good news? The lockout ended the league’s supervision of players who find trouble (or vice-versa) away from the field of play.

The bad news? The authorities have not yet imposed a lockout.

According to WSET-TV (via the Daily Norseman), Cook was arrested Saturday for brandishing a handgun during a fight with another man.

It remains to be seen whether Cook will face any scrutiny from the league. Whether the personal conduct policy applies during the lockout is something that will be negotiated between the NFL and the players in conjunction with the next labor deal. Cook’s best move, in our view, would be to get the case resolved quickly, so that it also ends during the lockout.

Cook, the 34th pick in the 2010 draft and the second player selected in round two, was the first rookie added by the Vikings last year.

He’s the second Minnesota rookie from the 2010 draft to be arrested this offseason. Defensive end Everson Griffen was arrested not once but twice, in a matter of days.

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Found this on Chip Scoggins blog, Chris Cooks situation may not be as bad as it seems.

Posted by Chip Scoggins

Last update: March 14, 2011 - 3:30 PM

We had a chance to talk to Capt. Ryan Zuidema of the Lychburg, Va. police department on Monday morning. Zuidema provided a few more details about the arrest of Vikings cornerback Chris Cook for allegedly brandishing a handgun during an argument with a neighbor on Saturday evening.

"Virginia works a little bit different than a lot of states in that private citizens in Virginia can go in front of a magistrate and actually swear out a criminal warrant against another citizen and in essence that's what happened in this situation," Zuidema said. "Basically the information that we know is there was some type of verbal argument between Mr. Cook and this other gentleman and that gentleman went in front of a magistrate here and swore out an arrest warrant against Mr. Cook, which our officers then served on Mr. Cook."

Zuidema said in Virginia individuals who are arrested also are charged at the same time so Cook was charged with brandishing a firearm. Zuidema said Cook will have a court date to determine if he will be tried or if the charges are dismissed.

"Some states you're arrested basically on suspicion of something and then a D.A. will determine if they're actually going to formally charge them," he said. "In Virginia, when you're arrested you're actually charged. He has been charged with brandishing a firearm. Obviously the Commonwealth attorney will still review the case. But he will have a court date that he'll go to either way and they'll make a determination by the attorneys."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/56735627.html

djp
03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Found this on Chip Scoggins blog, Chris Cooks situation may not be as bad as it seems.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/56735627.html

That might be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So if you're in Virginia, you can get someone charged with a crime for basically anything? That PFT story probably tarnished his image forever in most fans minds and it might just be a crock arrest? Seems ridiculous to me.

In other news, Adrian Peterson is a dumbass who doesn't know what he's talking about.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Adrian-Peterson-gives-readers-a-8220-Double-Ta?urn=nfl-wp206

Vikes99ej
03-15-2011, 01:45 PM
I hate pro athletes. Most of them are just a bunch of stupid jocks.

djp
03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I hate pro athletes. Most of them are just a bunch of stupid jocks.

I knew Peterson wasn't smart after watching him play poker at Canterbury one night with his posse. Absolutely horrible poker player.

vikes_28
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM
edit: wrong thread

Heisman
03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
If you could go back in time to last year's draft and take Jimmy Clausen insted of Chris Cook, would you?

I would. One year behind Brett Favre and ready to come into his own this year? having a young QB with a season of learning the playbook sounds nice right about now

djp
03-18-2011, 12:34 AM
If you could go back in time to last year's draft and take Jimmy Clausen insted of Chris Cook, would you?

I would. One year behind Brett Favre and ready to come into his own this year? having a young QB with a season of learning the playbook sounds nice right about now

I don't like Jimmy Clausen at all and never did, so it's hard to say.

prock
03-18-2011, 01:01 AM
I would take Jimmy over Chris Cook every day.

Crazy_Chris
03-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Jimmy was never as good of a prospect as we thought, one after another QB needy teams just kept passing on him in the late 1st/2nd. If it wasn't for the Panthers there is a very good chance he would have fell to late 2nd/early 3rd.

So no I wouldn't take Jimmy Clausen over Chris Cook, but I would take Nate Allen(I was wrong about him)/TJ Ward over Chris Cook.

FuzzyGopher
03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
This article thoroughly excites me.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/118343709.html

vikes_28
03-21-2011, 03:08 PM

vikes approves of this.

Babylon
03-21-2011, 03:18 PM

I need a personal translator i guess because i didnt see anyting there that told us anything we dont already know, which isnt much. So they're interested in a QB, no ####.

FuzzyGopher
03-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Maybe I'm reading into it too much but the quotes from Frazier lead me to believe that he is leaning towards taking a QB early. And considering the guys we are working/worked out are Locker, Newton, Mallett, Gabbert and Dalton it would appear we are looking to draft a QB in round 1 and not 2 as I only see Dalton being the only one left at 44. A lot of people seem to think we are targeting an OT or DL and not a QB, but who knows a lot can happen in a month.

Babylon
03-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I think they would like to get a QB but like any team in the top dozen or so would probably like to trade down a little and get some extra picks. I expect there may be more trade activity this year than in the past with teams like Buffalo, Tennessee, Washington and Minnesota getting a QB but moving down a little to do it. Just my take.

General Zod
03-25-2011, 02:56 PM
This is a bad sign...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/118633589.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Crazy_Chris
03-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Hopefully they are entertaining keeping him just due to such a mediocre class at S this year.

Crazy_Chris
03-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Judd Zulgad tweeted the Vikings have received 2 compensatoy picks.

a 6th round pick #200 for Chester Taylor
a 7th round pick #234 for Artis Hicks

https://twitter.com/JuddZulgad

Crazy_Chris
04-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Heres the 2011 schedule

Sept. 11 - @San Diego (3:15 pm)
Sept. 18 - Tampa Bay (noon)
Sept. 25 - Detroit (noon)
Oct. 2 - @Kansas City (noon)
Oct. 9 - Arizona (noon)
Oct. 16 - @Chicago (7:20 pm)
Oct. 23 - Packers (3:15 pm)
Oct. 30 - @Carolina (noon)
Nov. 6 - Bye week
Nov. 14 (Mon.) - @Green Bay (7:30 pm)
Nov. 20 - Oakland (noon)
Nov. 27 - @Atlanta (noon)
Dec. 4 - Broncos (3:05 pm)
Dec. 11 - @Detroit (noon)
Dec. 18 - New Orleans (noon)
Dec. 24 (Sat.) - @Washington (noon)
Jan. 1 - Chicago (noon)

Pretty tough right out the gates with Chargers, Bucs, and Chiefs. Good to see no thrusday games, and like having the week 9 bye.

djp
04-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Heres the 2011 schedule

Sept. 11 - @San Diego (3:15 pm)
Sept. 18 - Tampa Bay (noon)
Sept. 25 - Detroit (noon)
Oct. 2 - @Kansas City (noon)
Oct. 9 - Arizona (noon)
Oct. 16 - @Chicago (7:20 pm)
Oct. 23 - Packers (3:15 pm)
Oct. 30 - @Carolina (noon)
Nov. 6 - Bye week
Nov. 14 (Mon.) - @Green Bay (7:30 pm)
Nov. 20 - Oakland (noon)
Nov. 27 - @Atlanta (noon)
Dec. 4 - Broncos (3:05 pm)
Dec. 11 - @Detroit (noon)
Dec. 18 - New Orleans (noon)
Dec. 24 (Sat.) - @Washington (noon)
Jan. 1 - Chicago (noon)

Pretty tough right out the gates with Chargers, Bucs, and Chiefs. Good to see no thrusday games, and like having the week 9 bye.

I count 6-7 wins on that schedule.

marshallb
04-21-2011, 07:30 PM
I count 6-7 wins on that schedule.

I was right around there too. I thought that at best we go 8-8, at worst we go 4-12, which is unlikely to win us the Luck sweepstakes.

General Zod
04-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Its really hard to say without knowing who will be under center when the season starts.

General Zod
04-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Probably wont seem like anything to most, but Greenway was one of the first Vikings to head back to the facility after the lockout was lifted. Just another reason why he is one of my favorite Vikings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/120861434.html

russie
04-30-2011, 09:25 AM
Vikings still looking like the destination for Donovan McNabb

Posted by Josh Alper on April 30, 2011, 10:11 AM EDT

AP
The selection of Christian Ponder in the first round on Thursday was designed to fill the Vikings’ quarterback spot for the long term.

He might not be the short term solution to their needs under center, however. Jason La Canfora of NFL.com is reporting that the Vikings are still likely to go after Donovan McNabb this offseason. La Canfora spoke with league sources who told him that there’s a “high probability” that McNabb makes his way to Minnesota.

This isn’t particularly surprising news. In fact, it is a good deal less surprising than the selection of Ponder with the 12th overall pick of the first round.

Even Ponder’s biggest supporters concede that it is going to take some time for him to be ready to take over the reins of an NFL team. Bringing in a veteran like McNabb would give the team someone more qualified to start (and, the Vikings hope, win) until he’s ready while also ideally serving as a mentor for Ponder. Joe Webb, the only in-house possibility as a starter, doesn’t really fit the bill on either count.

Leslie Frazier said that Offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave endorsed the idea of bringing in someone with more experience to go with Ponder, Webb and Rhett Bomar.

“I think that balances out a position, not just quarterback, but to have some young, developmental talent and also have some veterans — because players not only learn from coaches, they also learn from their fellow players.”

He didn’t expressly state a preference for a starter or a backup, but adding an option that allows them to bring Ponder along at the right pace seems like the most prudent decision.

the_legend_killer
04-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Christian Ballard, good.

Crazy_Chris
05-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Found this interesting bit on Ray Edwards...

But here we are in lockout mode. An unsigned 26-year-old pass rusher in the prime of his career is in limbo for who knows how long. Edwards is not allowed to choose his future team and considers his Vikings career over, even if league rules were to declare him a restricted free agent.

"They put a first-round tender on me [a one-year, $2.8 million contract], but even if that holds up, there's no way I will play for less than what my backup got in his new contract," said Edwards, referring to Brian Robison's three-year, $14.1 million deal, which included a $6.5 million signing bonus. "There's no way I would play here."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/121291804.html

Nothing surprising to hear... I hope we go back to 2010 league year rules so he is a RFA and the Vikes can get a couple of 2012 draft picks for him.

russie
05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Kyle Rudolph’s hamstring sparks medical speculation

Posted by Mike Florio on May 14, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT

AP
When Vikings coach Leslie Frazier joined PFT Live on the Monday after the 2011 draft, he gushed about the addition of Notre Dame tight end Kyle Rudolph in round two. Frazier said that Rudolph, who slid to the second round due in part to a serious hamstring injury suffered last year, has the potential to be a Pro Bowler early in his career.

But Rudolph’s performance at the NFL level hinges on the healing of the hamstring. While Rudolph and the Vikings are confident that he’ll be back to 100 percent, but Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com has spoken with a medical expert who has provided a more guarded assessment.

Dr. J.R. Rudzki, who has worked with the St. Louis Rams and other professional sports teams, told Pelissero that patients suffering hamstring tendon avulsions “have roughly a 70 to 85 percent of being able to return to their desired level of sports activity.”

Added Rudzki regarding Rudolph, “For him, obviously, he has functional demands and an activity level as an elite professional athlete that are significant and leave little room for residual weakness.”

But as Pelissero points out, Rudzki hasn’t examined or treated Rudolph. Vikings doctors and others have, with Rudolph being checked not once but twice by doctors in Indianapolis at the Scouting Combine and the subsequent medical re-check. And Rudolph was able to perform sufficiently well at his Pro Day workout to help the Vikings feel comfortable about using a second-round pick on a position that, for now, is more of a luxury than it is a need.

Though this reality won’t stop Rudzki or other doctors from welcoming the chance to get their names in the media when given a chance to opine on the condition of athletes they haven’t examined, it’s an important fact to keep in mind when considering such comments.

marshallb
05-14-2011, 03:05 PM
I probably found this a lot funnier than I should have, but this was a comment made on the Falcons SBNation site about the Falcons signing Ray Edwards:

Ray Edwards is hardly overrated and to have a Vikings fan of all people say this makes me think he doesnt really know to much about his own team! People always say Edwards benefits from the rest of the guys on the DL, sure the Williams boys help him out as they do Allen, but for the past 2 seasons, Edwards is the one being double teamed by opposition when called for, not Allen. A lot of the time when you see Allen double teamed, its Brian Robison opposite him ;)

Look at Jared Allens numbers the last few seasons and then youll see the definition of over rated. Lets take the ‘09/’10 seasons for example. Allen had 14.5 sacks in 2009. 9.5 of them sacks came against Chad Clifton playing LT(7.5 sacks in 2 games) on a pretty bad OL at the time and Kevin Shaffer i believe in Chicago. Another horrible OL. Take them figures away from him and he would of had a pretty bleak year. Fast forward to 2010 and Allen didnt have a sack through the first 8 weeks, then feasted on another 4.5 sacks against who else? More crappy OL’s in Arizona and Chicago. Im just trying to put things in perspective. Allen deserves the sacks, he made the sacks and good on him, but they are no reason to take great plays away from Ray Edwards.

In my honest opinion, i think Edwards could come to Atlanta and put up very good numbers whilst being great against the run. Something a LE has to do. I really see him being that consistent 8+ sack a year guy until he moves over to RE once Abe hangs them up.

That said, i think Frazier will get the FO to pony up the cash. I have only read great things from Frazier about Edwards in interviews etc and i think he sees him as an integral cog on that DL. Something a lot of other people dont see.

I just can't help but laugh when I read people posting such ignorant ********. Edwards getting the double teams and being the reason that Jared Allen has gotten at least 11 sacks over the last four seasons, including one in KC and has 83 sacks in 7 seasons, compared to Edwards's 29.5 sacks in 5 seasons...LOL

Edwards is a very solid player, but is getting overrated by many and it looks like is going to get overpaid big time by someone. I just hope he's a RFA so we can get a high pick out of him. He's obviously not happy here, although a lot of that has to do with his contract situation as he's said that he doesn't want to play here anymore: "They put a first-round tender on me [a one-year, $2.8 million contract], but even if that holds up, there's no way I will play for less than what my backup got in his new contract," said Edwards, referring to Brian Robison's three-year, $14.1 million deal, which included a $6.5 million signing bonus. "There's no way I would play here."
I'm more than happy going into next year with Robison starting at LE and Ballard and Griffen rotating in as well.

Crazy_Chris
05-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Unfortunatly for us Atlanta's front office isn't as ignorant as that fan :(

Hopefully he will still be a RFA and we will be able to get a 2nd round pick for him.

General Zod
05-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Well, not sure if it'll make much difference, but its nice to see Ponder trying to get some work in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ffd81b/article/ponder-flies-south-for-workouts-eyes-vikings-camp-in-florida

jsang74
05-25-2011, 02:26 PM
I probably found this a lot funnier than I should have, but this was a comment made on the Falcons SBNation site about the Falcons signing Ray Edwards:

I just can't help but laugh when I read people posting such ignorant ********. Edwards getting the double teams and being the reason that Jared Allen has gotten at least 11 sacks over the last four seasons, including one in KC and has 83 sacks in 7 seasons, compared to Edwards's 29.5 sacks in 5 seasons...LOL

Edwards is a very solid player, but is getting overrated by many and it looks like is going to get overpaid big time by someone. I just hope he's a RFA so we can get a high pick out of him. He's obviously not happy here, although a lot of that has to do with his contract situation as he's said that he doesn't want to play here anymore: I'm more than happy going into next year with Robison starting at LE and Ballard and Griffen rotating in as well.

I think Edwards is a lot better than Vikes fan give him credit for. He's a good pass rusher in his own right (not as good as Allen) but plays the run better.

The struggles with our pass rush this year seemed to be more from a lack of an inside push than from our ends.

General Zod
06-18-2011, 06:41 PM
If we did end up losing Sidney, I wouldn't be oppose to this. We could surely get him dirt cheap and he'd be out to prove something.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/06/17/vikings-have-plan-for-life-without-rice

General Zod
07-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Are any of you following the Chris Kluwe/Nate Jackson spat going on? Its fairly amusing. lol

http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can

FuzzyGopher
07-25-2011, 02:29 PM
We need to keep Rice as I think he will be key in Ponder's development. I'm hoping he just tests the waters and gives the Vikings the opportunity to match the best offer he receives. Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe, Peterson and Rudolph is a pretty solid group of talent to surround a young QB with.

yo123
07-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Something tells me Rice is going to get a huge payday from someone that we won't be willing to match. Maybe just a gut feeling but I don't feel good about it.

prock
07-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I have a terrible feeling about Rice too. Which sucks, because I just bought his jersey last year.

The Dynasty
07-25-2011, 02:58 PM
We need to keep Rice as I think he will be key in Ponder's development. I'm hoping he just tests the waters and gives the Vikings the opportunity to match the best offer he receives. Harvin, Rice, Shiancoe, Peterson and Rudolph is a pretty solid group of talent to surround a young QB with.

If We want to retain Rice we are gonna have to get rid of some people. Some people easier than others. Rice is going to want #1 receiver and Probably Top 10 WR Pay and I personally think he is worth every dollar. Sure he injury prone but when he is playing, He gave us a deep threat was reminded me of the times we had Moss. We wont be getting a Hometown discount either when it comes to Rice. If we want to re-sign him, We need to either Cut/Renegotiate with Bernard Berrian. His 7 Million Dollar a year contract is killing us. Madieu Williams is another guy who we can renegotiate with or cut. We are 5 Million over the Cap Right now and we have to sign or Draft picks still. So We need to make some cap space to say the least if we even want to try for Rice.

Personally, I think its unlikely we Re-Sign Him. I think he is coveted way to much by a lot of teams and that's just going to raise the price for him. I say go on a flier and Sign Plax for cheap and hope it works out. Also James Jones of the Packers Or Mike Sims Walker of the Jags, might be two players who could help replace Rice if we were to lose him to FA.

We need a Veteran QB too. Theres no way we can start Ponder at the Start of the season because he just hasn't had enough time obviously. Either we go for McNabb or Bulger IMO. A guy who is up there and can come in and help Ponder out and also who can still perform and could help us win some games.

The Dynasty
07-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Another person I forgot that was a Free Agent was Randy Moss. He had issues with Childress and Wilf really wanted him when we traded for him. He has stated in the past that he would still consider a return to the Vikings. So Why not go for him. We could get him cheap probably and he could come in and play opposite of Harvin.

yo123
07-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Another person I forgot that was a Free Agent was Randy Moss. He had issues with Childress and Wilf really wanted him when we traded for him. He has stated in the past that he would still consider a return to the Vikings. So Why not go for him. We could get him cheap probably and he could come in and play opposite of Harvin.

Never again.

Moss demanding the ball on every play with a developing QB would be a disaster too.

vikes_28
07-25-2011, 10:44 PM
I don't really want Rice back, tbh. I may sound stupid saying that. But he's had one really good year since he was drafted. Otherwise he's just been injured. That was also a year where he had Favre who had easily one of the best seasons of his career. Someone like Washington or Chicago will give him wayy too much money that we won't be able to match. At this point I just don't think that it's worth it to try and keep him.

prock
07-26-2011, 03:26 AM
I don't really want Rice back, tbh. I may sound stupid saying that. But he's had one really good year since he was drafted. Otherwise he's just been injured. That was also a year where he had Favre who had easily one of the best seasons of his career. Someone like Washington or Chicago will give him wayy too much money that we won't be able to match. At this point I just don't think that it's worth it to try and keep him.

Yup, ya kinda do.

The_Dude
07-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I also see Rice as a goner, unfortunately.

As Dynasty said, we're about $5 mil over the cap, so we have to say goodbye to Berrian & Madieu at the very least.

The only FA that i think that we have to re-sign besides Rice is Leber.

Otherwise, i don't see us being very active in the FA market.

I'm just so damn happy to be talking about actual off season action taking place

The_Dude
07-26-2011, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah, re-signing AD would probably also provide some immediate cap relief as he's scheduled to make over $12 mil this season. I just read that he said that he won't hold out.

marshallb
07-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Vikings UDFA signing reportings:

The agent for Ohio State cornerback DeVon Torrence and Kentucky running back Derrick Locke confirmed both had signed with the Vikings. Another running back, Utah's Matt Asiata, also signed with the Vikings, according to his brother's Twitter page.

Others reported to have signed with the Vikings included Iowa tight end Allen Reisner, North Carolina tight end Ed Barham, UTEP guard Rob Huntley, Stanford kicker Nate Whitaker, Hillsdale receiver Ander Holmes, Arizona offensive lineman Conan Amituanai, Miami cornerback Ryan Hill and Valdosta State linebacker Larry Dean.

The Vikings did not plan to release a list of signings until Wednesday.
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Percy_Harvin_leads_parade_into_Vikings_headquarter s_as_doors_reopen072611

Will post more as they are reported.

EDIT: The Vikings are one of the 5 teams on Tyler Thigpen's "wish list", but don't appear to be on the list of Matt Hasselbeck's suitors.

And the Vikings AP Beat Writer Jon Karwcynski(sp?) tweeted:
After listening to both Frazier and Spielman, more convinced than ever any vet QB added is not gonna be a big name (re: McNabb).

princefielder28
07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I like the Locke pickup for you guys! versatile, tough player with big play ability

marshallb
07-26-2011, 11:19 AM
I like the Locke pickup for you guys! versatile, tough player with big play ability

Yea, Locke and Torrence are some pretty solid pickups IMO, especially with our lack of depth at both RB and even more so in the secondary.

General Zod
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Jimmy Kennedy just tweeted that the Vikings informed him he will not be back with the team.

marshallb
07-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Jimmy Kennedy just tweeted that the Vikings informed him he will not be back with the team.

Was just going to post that. A bit of an interesting decision IMO, especially with Pat likely gone.

marshallb
07-26-2011, 12:10 PM
The Vikings have also been in contact with FA S Eric Weddle's agent. I'd love that signing. He'd be such an upgrade over our current S. It would require clearing some more cap room, but IMO it would be very worth it.

The_Dude
07-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Kennedy reported that he got cut, via twitter

Rotoworld reports that the Vikes are in constant contact with Weddle's agent

Rotoworld also reports that the Vikes could have a deal with Aromashodu pending

yo123
07-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Sounds like we have a deal in place to land McNabb, just need to figure out the finances.

marshallb
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Sounds like we have a deal in place to land McNabb, just need to figure out the finances.

Yea. Not to excited about that. Would much, much rather have Orton or Hasselbeck if we're going with a big name vet, and I'd also probably prefer Thigpen.

I'm really excited about the idea of us signing Eric Weddle. The Chargers have been my second favorite team for quite a while now, and I'd watch them whenever I could get a chance, and dude is one of the most underrated players in the league, by fans anyways. Sounds though like he'll get around $7 mil per year, which I'd totally be fine paying, especially if it means Madeiu gets cut.

In other news, Ray Edwards just made himself even more money after Charles Johnson, the only other quality 4-3 DE on the market, got a big deal: six-year, $76 million deal with $32 million guaranteed, including a $30 million signing bonus.

And breaking news from Adam Schefter's twitter:
Vikings reached agreement with former Bears WR Devin Aromashodu on a one-year contract.

Crazy_Chris
07-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Only thing I like about McNabb is that it should make the situation in MN more enticing for Sidney to return.

That deal for a 1 year wonder DE is absolutly ridiculous... I am very glad we decided to move on with Brian Robison. That is if that is going to be the market for average-above average DEs

yo123
07-26-2011, 06:13 PM
Yea. Not to excited about that. Would much, much rather have Orton or Hasselbeck if we're going with a big name vet, and I'd also probably prefer Thigpen.

Sounds like Thigpen might be on his way too actually.

The Dynasty
07-26-2011, 07:06 PM
I like the Devin Aromashodu Signing. I always thought he was an underrated player and he did pretty well in Chicago when he was given a chance I thought.

I like the McNabb deal if he agrees to come for cheap. We all know he wont be here in Minnesota longer than a year and 2 at the most. So I like what he brings us though. He has wanted to play in Minnesota for a while now, and I personally would be somewhat surprised if we didnt see him starting on September 11th in San Diego.

Also, I feel bad for Seattle.. Signing Tarvaris.

FuzzyGopher
07-26-2011, 09:55 PM
RT @JasonLaCanfora: As expected Seahawks and Vikings deep in talks for Sidney Rice.

Wtf. Come on, we have more to offer than Seattle does.

FuzzyGopher
07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Also this.
RT @Bmitchlive: Had a conversation with McNabb. Contrary to what's being reported, he's not holding up the trade, skins are.

The Dynasty
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
@Jay_Glazer
Vikes agree to trade 6th rounder in 12 and possibly 6th in 13 to Wash for Donovan McNabb. Deal contingent on McNabb agreeing to much less $$

@Jay_Glazer
The 2nd 6th rounder for McNabb is based upon performance in 2011

General Zod
07-27-2011, 12:33 AM
I can live with a 6th round pick as long as he renegotiates his contract for fairly cheap.

prock
07-27-2011, 04:07 AM
That sounds like an awesome deal. Get it done!

prock
07-27-2011, 04:12 AM
I love the Aromashadu signing. Love the Locke signing. Love the McNabb deal. Would love Weddle. Would love Rice back. That would be about a dream offseason, especially if Madieu is cut along with Berrian.

djp
07-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Madieu Williams, Berrian, and Kleinsasser need to go. Would be nice if we could restructure McKinnie as well but I don't see that happening.

yo123
07-27-2011, 04:17 PM
I don't care if it makes sense financially I don't want us to cut Kleinsasser. :(

marshallb
07-27-2011, 05:34 PM
So...Weddle re-signed with the Chargers for a huge deal, and Locke failed his physical with us. I'd love it for us to cut Berrian and Madeiu, and I'd be ok with us cutting Kleinsasser, but he's been a very solid player for us for a long time and has never stepped out of line. I'd personally love for us to cut McKinnie, even though we have no one else who could play LT. They couldn't be much worse than McKinnie and it would save us a batch of money.

bigboiajhawk
07-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Hey guys, did Rice not like Minnesota, why on earth would he go to the Seahawks who have absolutely no QB comparable to the combo of McNabb and Ponder? I mean McNabb-Peterson-Rice-Harvin-Shiancoe is a pretty deadly offense if you ask me, not to mention Rudolph and some of the other WR's.

I mean I view this as good for the rest of the NFC North, but not good for you guys. But I guess you do save cap space for a guy like Ray Edwards.

I am not bashing your team or anything, I was actually afraid of the afformentioned offensive arsenal, I am just wondering if Rice is/or was pissed at someone in management.

Jimmy
07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
why on earth would he go to the Seahawks who have absolutely no QB comparable to the combo of McNabb and Ponder?

http://ragefac.es/faces/0381dcd29fb16d20a3a9ef8486bcc2e1.png

cvv84
07-27-2011, 07:07 PM
why on earth would he go to the Seahawks who have absolutely no QB

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

russie
07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
some good news:

Another kicker gets his cash

Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT

Getty Images
Kickers are getting paid in the early days of free agency. First it was Mason Crosby, who’s staying with the Packers. Then, it was Olindo Mare, who’ll get $4 million in guaranteed money to move from Seattle to Charlotte.

Now, Vikings kicker Ryan Longwell has gotten in on the act. Per Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, Longwell has agreed to terms to stay with the Vikings.

Per Adam Schefter of ESPN, the deal is worth $12 million over $4 years, with $3.5 million guaranteed.

Not bad for a 14-year veteran who’ll turn 37 next month.

Longwell’s contract is virtually identical to Mare’s, with Mare getting an extra $500,000 guaranteed.

After signing with the Vikings following nine seasons with the Packers, Longwell will match that tenure in Minnesota if he plays out the full duration of the new deal.

marshallb
07-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Glad to see Longwell stay, but hopefully that doesn't kill any other potential FA signings.

As far as Rice goes, I have no clue why he would go to Seattle other than money. My guess is that he was using them to drive up his price from us, and/or was trying to wait things out and hope that a team with a franchise QB and a future - like St. Louis - jumps in on things.

yo123
07-27-2011, 07:29 PM
I thought Sidney would leave but the way it happened is just confusing. I honestly thought he would get a little more, and he went to a team with a disaster of a QB situation. Honestly a pretty bad move for the Seahawks to be honest until they find themselves a quarterback. Kind of a waste.

I'm curious as to what we offered him. I would have thought it would have taken a big difference in the offers for him to leave to Seattle but I really don't think we offered something WAY below that.