PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19

yo123
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
I wonder if we go after someone like Braylon Edwards now because this makes our WR situation pretty damn bad outside of Harvin who is more of a slot guy.

djp
07-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Braylon? Mike Sims Walker? Steve Smith?

marshallb
07-27-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't think we'd go after Steve Smith, especially given his anger management issues. I think that Edwards, Sims Walker, or maybe someone like Malcolm Floyd or even James Jones would make sense. I'd be happy with any of those guys.

russie
07-27-2011, 07:45 PM
I thought Sidney would leave but the way it happened is just confusing. I honestly thought he would get a little more, and he went to a team with a disaster of a QB situation. Honestly a pretty bad move for the Seahawks to be honest until they find themselves a quarterback. Kind of a waste.

I'm curious as to what we offered him. I would have thought it would have taken a big difference in the offers for him to leave to Seattle but I really don't think we offered something WAY below that.

f--- him. let him prove to them that he was just a one year wonder that only had success during favre's magical '09 season

yo123
07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
f--- him. let him prove to them that he was just a one year wonder that only had success during favre's magical '09 season

I'll never be mad at someone for taking more money someone else.

And he was definitely not a one year wonder. He's everything you ask for in a prototypical #1 receiver. Size, speed, route running, goes over the middle, goes deep, etc. I really doubt he shows it in Seattle until they fix that shitstorm of a QB situation they have there.

russie
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
I'll never be mad at someone for taking more money someone else.

And he was definitely not a one year wonder. He's everything you ask for in a prototypical #1 receiver. Size, speed, route running, goes over the middle, goes deep, etc. I really doubt he shows it in Seattle until they fix that shitstorm of a QB situation they have there.

he can still go to hell for all i care. he's the one that waited til training camp last year to have the hip surgery that he could have had at the end of nfl year the season before.

Vikes99ej
07-27-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't think we'd go after Steve Smith, especially given his anger management issues. I think that Edwards, Sims Walker, or maybe someone like Malcolm Floyd or even James Jones would make sense. I'd be happy with any of those guys.

Helllllllllllllllll no. Those guys have never been number 1 receivers. Just running into another Bernard Berrian situation there.

yo123
07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I like James Jones actually. Not a number 1 guy but I think he can be a number 2. Sims-Walker is the guy we should really be looking at. Smith is the most talented but he's a headcase, and Edwards drops too many balls for my liking.

russie
07-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Sims-Walker is the guy we should really be looking at.

i fully agree.

marshallb
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Are any of those guys true #1s??? I sure as hell don't think so. Sidney and Santonio were the only two #1 guys out there as far as I'm concerned. If we don't overpay, like we did for Berrian, then what's wrong with signing one of them?

Also, Schefter just tweeted that the McNabb deal is officially done and will be announced tomorrow.

FuzzyGopher
07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
We don't have have dick at receiver right now, especially if we cut Berrian. I've heard Edwards as a possibility but I'm not sure how I feel about him. Maybe we bring Moss back?

marshallb
07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Something that I haven't seen mentioned on here is with how big of a deal DeAngelo Williams got is going to affect Adrian's upcoming contract negotiations. If Deangelo got $43 mil w/ $21 mil guaranteed, then how much could Adrian get? $25...$30 million guaranteed...more?

J-Mike88
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
A few questions for you guys:

What's Peterson's contract status? Is he still on his rookie deal?

I also really liked Devin Aromashodu . Coming down the stretch in 2009, that guy torched us and beat the DPOY Woodson twice including for a TD. I thought he'd be a sleeper for fantasy last year.... but Mad Mike Martz has his own ideas.

I am thrilled to see Sidney Rice leave, however. That guy's talented as hell and with a decent QB, he's lethal.

Speaking of that, I can say this as a rival fan: I am much happier to see Christ Ponder trying to dodge Clay Matthews and throw balls than I am McNabb. That's a good deal for you guys, and could become a great one, which I hope it's not.

It reminds me of the Favre move.

Each guy had left his main team after many years, for just one season in a new, wacky offense than they were used to. But both went to offenses that they were used to, your west coast system. I expect that bast**** to do well, although not as well without Rice. I think we learned last year what a difference that guy made to your passing game, and thus overall offense.

We hate McNabb from the 4th & 26 miracle choke job in Jan/2004, forever.
That POS even beat us last year with the Redskins!!!!!! Our championship season, and he still went 1-0 vs Rodgers. He has our number and I don't like him. Or his fat Chunky Soup Momma!

djp
07-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Cut Berrian and pick up both James Jones and Braylon. Use the money you offered to Rice as part of that as well and you're probably still saving money.

FuzzyGopher
07-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Sounds like Rice had a micro fracture type surgery on his hip last season. That explains the general lack of interest in him from other teams. Hope everything works out for Rice and we can dump Madieu and a few other scrubs and pick up someone serviceable until we get Fitz next off season :)

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Uncommon_hip_surgery_didnt_cost_Sidney_R ice_in_the_end072811

Kid_Ego
07-28-2011, 09:03 AM
We picked upsome interesting un drafted free agents hard to argue signing any te from iowa and we got dbs from miami and osu which can't hurt the runningback from utah is a stud and will probably replace albert young,sucks rb from kentucky failed physical.
McNabb makes alot of sense and the wideout from chicago is a very under rated talent not that it takes alot to improve our receiving corp but he definately does.

Viking fans have no choice but have mixed feelings about losing Rice Longwell to seahawks but rice just couldn't stay on the field and to be honest he hasn't even lived up to his first contract. Definately not worth 43 mil to an already strapped team. All this hype about number one recievers? Would someone please show me who the packers or steelers number ones are? Because hines ward and donald driver don't really fit the mold of a true number one. Id rather have 5 guys who can catch the freaking ball then have one guy who catches balls for one season.
already frazier has shown me more substance in a few months then Bad Children showed me in his entire regime.

pete_norm
07-28-2011, 10:25 AM
It seems the Vikings are close to signing James Jones. Good signing I think.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/statuses/96593931940270080

The Dynasty
07-28-2011, 10:54 AM
It seems the Vikings are close to signing James Jones. Good signing I think.

https://twitter.com/jasonjwilde/statuses/96593931940270080

According to John Clayton we are interested in Braylon Edwards and James Jones. Also according to Judd Zulgad, We could be looking at Malcom Floyd too.

@TomPelissero Tom Pelissero
#Vikings have their nose tackle -- they've signed six-year veteran Remi Ayodele, per The Times-Picayune.

The_Dude
07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd be happy with both Jones & Edwards. Personally, i don't think that just one is enough. Let's keep Harvin in the slot where he does the most damage.

Crazy_Chris
07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
I'd be happy if we inked James Jones and Braylon(Depending on the $$$). I'd also be interested in bringing in roy williams.

I see we are interested in Jermon Bushrod too, don't really like this don't think he is all that good. Would have rather had them make a play at Doug Free if they were going for a T.

Vikes99ej
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I'd be happy if we inked James Jones and Braylon(Depending on the $$$). I'd also be interested in bringing in roy williams.

I see we are interested in Jermon Bushrod too, don't really like this don't think he is all that good. Would have rather had them make a play at Doug Free if they were going for a T.

Doug Free was re-signed.

Crazy_Chris
07-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Doug Free was re-signed.

I know, I wish they had gone after him if they intended to upgrade at T.

The Dynasty
07-28-2011, 03:17 PM
Madieu Williams has been cut.. Nothing on Berrian yet. Which Im surprised about.

marshallb
07-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Every Vikings fan rejoice!!!!

Vikings released Madeiu Williams. (http://twitter.com/#!/TomPelissero/status/96673906278137856)

Now let's just wait for Berrian to be released...Hopefully it just takes us signing another WR in FA.

djp
07-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Leonard Weaver got cut by Philly. I've always liked him, very good receiver. Might fit in well with Musgrave's offense. Plus we need a fullback.

Vikes99ej
07-28-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm not doing any rejoicing until the Vikings pick up a ******* receiver. I'm going to be so pissed if we leave the FA period with no reliable thread (sorry Devin Armosmoshadu)

FuzzyGopher
07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Thank God Madieu is gone. Christopher Reeve could probably cover and tackle better than that guy. Now all we need to do is cut or restructure Berrian's contract and we are free of two huge FA mistakes.

djp
07-28-2011, 08:02 PM
I'm thinking they'll probably keep Berrian if they can't find a suitable WR in terms of both skill and price.

yo123
07-28-2011, 09:39 PM
It sounds like we're the favorites for Malcolm Floyd.

FuzzyGopher
07-29-2011, 03:59 PM
TomPelissero Tom Pelissero
Also, cutting Bernard Berrian would save a whopping $6,258,333 against the cap. One more reason to think he's not long for the #Vikings.

Uhhh, yea. This needs to happen post haste.

General Zod
07-30-2011, 07:02 AM
We might be waiting to see if we can get Floyd or Jones signed before they decide what to do with Berrian. Friezer said that they plan on keeping him and restructuring his contract, but he also said the same about Manure Williams. lol

If I had to pick I'd take Floyd over Jones, but really Id be happy to get either one. Not thrilled but happy.

BuckNaked
07-30-2011, 05:27 PM
And the solution to our problem is Michael Jenkins..god we're gonna be awful next season.

General Zod
07-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Jenkins? Are you fuucking kidding me?! Dont bring your rejects here Musgrave! Terrible pick up.

yo123
07-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Michael Jenkins?

Problem solved. Championship.

Vikes99ej
07-30-2011, 07:46 PM
I definitely don't like where this is going.

FuzzyGopher
07-30-2011, 08:09 PM
Everything is lining up perfectly for us to bomb this year and draft Alshon Jeffery. Patience people, it's all part of the master plan.

The_Dude
07-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Jenkins.... really!?!?!?!?

Typical Vikings free-agent pick up.

In good news, Kelvin Hayden has been released. Go get 'em boys, to make up for Jenkins.

General Zod
07-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh you know we wont get Hayden. He makes to much sense.

princefielder28
07-30-2011, 08:58 PM
It's funny to read the comments about Michael Jenkins...managment obviously isn't bringing in Jenkins to be "the guy" over the likes of free agents such as James Jones or Braylon Edwards and i have a feeling the team isn't done addressing the position...Jenkins comes in now being the only member that knows the offense and that is going to be huge considering you'll be working in a new quarterback (who rumors suggest had difficulties learning a new offense last season)...Jenkins is also a strong run blocker and it's a safe assumption that the offense will distribute touches more similarly to numbers of 2008 than 2009 or 2010 so why invest top dollar in a guy who will get very few targets in a given game instead of building depth with quality guys at the position who fit the offense and what you're trying to do? And it's not like the team doesn't have a guy who's a dynamic player at the position; Percy Harvin is going to see his chances. I imagine you'll see plenty of two tight end sets with Shiancoe and Rudolph, who also has pass catching ability and it's always been a favorite target of McNabb. I could be wrong here but I don't see how investing top dollar at the receiver position does you guys too much good given the offensive style/structure, some of the pass catchers you already have in place, and the remainder of needs that should be looked at by the team.

yo123
07-30-2011, 09:00 PM
It's funny to read the comments about Michael Jenkins...managment obviously isn't bringing in Jenkins to be "the guy" over the likes of free agents such as James Jones or Braylon Edwards and i have a feeling the team isn't done addressing the position...Jenkins comes in now being the only member that knows the offense and that is going to be huge considering you'll be working in a new quarterback (who rumors suggest had difficulties learning a new offense last season)...Jenkins is also a strong run blocker and it's a safe assumption that the offense will distribute touches more similarly to numbers of 2008 than 2009 or 2010 so why invest top dollar in a guy who will get very few targets in a given game instead of building depth with quality guys at the position who fit the offense and what you're trying to do? And it's not like the team doesn't have a guy who's a dynamic player at the position; Percy Harvin is going to see his chances. I imagine you'll see plenty of two tight end sets with Shiancoe and Rudolph, who also has pass catching ability and it's always been a favorite target of McNabb. I could be wrong here but I don't see how investing top dollar at the receiver position does you guys too much good given the offensive style/structure, some of the pass catchers you already have in place, and the remainder of needs that should be looked at by the team.

None of this changes the fact we have no legitimate options on the outside, and all sources are saying we're done addressing the position. If we're not going to give McNabb weapons the signing was pointless.

I could care less how well my receivers run block. That's completely secondary.

General Zod
07-30-2011, 09:08 PM
And Im sure AD is just going to be thrilled to see another season of 9 defenders in the box. Its how you shorten a career. Or drive away your star RB on the last year of his contract.

princefielder28
07-30-2011, 09:11 PM
None of this changes the fact we have no legitimate options on the outside, and all sources are saying we're done addressing the position. If we're not going to give McNabb weapons the signing was pointless.

adding James Jones wouldn't change that fact, especially given the dollars you'd have to pay him...my feelings are that he's more a product of the spread aspects of the Packers' offense and was the beneficiary of being the 3rd or 4th target on a team with a top notch QB...of course it'd be nice to have a big threat on the outside but the market and market value don't really allow a team to bring that type of player in without taking a big risk while paying significant amounts of money...McNabb has had success in the past without an outside threat abd luckily he has one of the league's best rushers, two tight ends who can be threats in the passing game, and one of the best slot receivers in the league...bringing him in wasn't pointless; you have a rookie quarterback who's not ready to step in and play and you have a team with enough talent to be competitive so why let the chance to win slide? and when you're primary offensive purpose is to run the football, having a receiver who can block is far from a secondary concern

yo123
07-30-2011, 09:27 PM
Well it doesn't have to be James Jones. Malcolm Floyd would do. Mike Sims Walker would have worked. Take a chance on Steve Smith. Do something.

We saw what McNabb did last year without any threats on the outside. I understand we have more than the Redskins with Peterson and Harvin but that's just not enough imo.

And I don't know if we have as much of a shot to win as you think we do. The NFC North might be the best division in the league.

princefielder28
07-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Well it doesn't have to be James Jones. Malcolm Floyd would do. Mike Sims Walker would have worked. Take a chance on Steve Smith. Do something.

We saw what McNabb did last year without any threats on the outside. I understand we have more than the Redskins with Peterson and Harvin but that's just not enough imo.

And I don't know if we have as much of a shot to win as you think we do. The NFC North might be the best division in the league.

I'm not saying you have guys have a good shot to win but you have enough talent for a chance to win and if you decide to re-build from that and not take one last chance with this current group then you can kiss Peterson good-bye.

I think Malcolm Floyd would make the most sense given the price and fit

djp
07-30-2011, 10:43 PM
If they get Floyd, I think we will be fine. I just want to keep Harvin on the inside as I think that is where he is most effective.

The_Dude
07-30-2011, 11:08 PM

Signing McNabb is not pointless. We are preserving the life of our rookie QB. I'd rather watch McNabb get pounded behind our O-line than Ponder.

yo123
07-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Signing McNabb is not pointless. We are preserving the life of our rookie QB. I'd rather watch McNabb get pounded behind our O-line than Ponder.

If that's all we're worried about we should have signed Tyler Thigpen or someone cheaper. Well, I guess I can't say that since we still don't have McNabb's salary announced for some reason but I assume he's considerably more expensive.

I did like the McNabb move. I just assumed that we were going to make some moves to help him out. If we don't I don't see the point.

Vikes99ej
07-31-2011, 12:44 AM
Knowing the Vikes, they are probably done looking at WR options.

dunagan15
07-31-2011, 12:58 AM
Falcons fan here: Curious as to what fans thought of Ray Edwards and his future potential? Was he a guy you guys liked alot, improved every year, etc?

Also with Jenkins. If anything hes "maybe" a #2 reciever, that being generous. I tell youc what tho the guy can run and out route like no other and a 17 yard flag route as well, other than that, well pretty much nothing. Good run blocker, will drop some passes. Doesn't use his height well at all, so he wont be out jumping anyone, and was never a redzone threat. He was a solid target on 3rd downs, seemed to always make that catch that kept the drive going. All in all, an ok player, good locker room guy, won't cause any drama. Hopefully can help out the QB in that system.

Kid_Ego
07-31-2011, 01:29 AM
Im going to say this b4 the season starts the wide out moves are great moves with the other moves we made in the draft these are solid pick ups. Remember b4 you blow your tops we are sitting above the salary cap and still need atleast one lb a safty and some oline help

Crazy_Chris
07-31-2011, 10:27 AM
Falcons fan here: Curious as to what fans thought of Ray Edwards and his future potential? Was he a guy you guys liked alot, improved every year, etc?

Also with Jenkins. If anything hes "maybe" a #2 reciever, that being generous. I tell youc what tho the guy can run and out route like no other and a 17 yard flag route as well, other than that, well pretty much nothing. Good run blocker, will drop some passes. Doesn't use his height well at all, so he wont be out jumping anyone, and was never a redzone threat. He was a solid target on 3rd downs, seemed to always make that catch that kept the drive going. All in all, an ok player, good locker room guy, won't cause any drama. Hopefully can help out the QB in that system.

Ray Edwards is a good starting DE, a guy who will always be stout against the run and get you 6-8 sacks. However he couldn't take it to the next level even with Jared & K-will on his line. So I it's pretty hard imagine him getting much better than what he is now.

Crazy_Chris
07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
As for our WR corps....

I don't buy that they are done addressing it. They very well could just be posturing and/or waiting it out for the price to lower.

edit: Vikes sign Ponder to a 4 year $11 Million fully garunteed contract.

General Zod
07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
As for our WR corps....

I don't buy that they are done addressing it. They very well could just be posturing and/or waiting it out for the price to lower.

edit: Vikes sign Ponder to a 4 year $11 Million fully garunteed contract.

Well, Jones just went off the market so they'd better do something soon.

Vikes99ej
07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
I am so pissed off at the Vikings right now. I can't ******* believe they thought Jenkins and Aromashadu are the solutions. I'm honestly more excited about the T'Wolves and hockey season.

FuzzyGopher
07-31-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a feeling that this years team is going to be a lot like the 2007 Vikings. We have a bunch of smaller receivers that are slot type guys and no deep threat to pull coverage away from the LOS. Teams are just going to stack the box to stop AD and dare us to pass and we won't be able to score. I actually think our defense was better back then than it is now, it's going to be a pretty rough season.

General Zod
07-31-2011, 03:52 PM
oh, and dont forget we did nothing to address our O line or secondary.

FuzzyGopher
07-31-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm OK with being conservative in free agency and not signing average players to big deals, because that is part of there reason we are in the position we are currently in. But the fact that the front office still thinks we have a shot at winning and use that rationale to keep turds like Berrian is beyond frustrating.

prock
07-31-2011, 11:33 PM
We aren't cutting Berrian????????

General Zod
08-01-2011, 12:24 AM
We aren't cutting Berrian????????

Well hell no!

Berrian and Jenkins will be our starters with Percy in the slot.

We are so going to dominate.

yo123
08-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know what Cedric Griffin's status is right now? If he can come back healthy our secondary isn't as bad as people think.

BuckNaked
08-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Berrian can rot in hell along with Fred Smoot and Troy Williamson.

General Zod
08-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Troy Williamson

Oh god, please dont give them any ideas. lol

The_Dude
08-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know what Cedric Griffin's status is right now? If he can come back healthy our secondary isn't as bad as people think.

I don't think that he is on the PUP, so he may be good to go.

Crazy_Chris
08-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Well, Jones just went off the market so they'd better do something soon.

Thats alright Malcolm Floyd is still available and the Vikes are still talking to him from what I have read.

Even if they don't make another move at WR it won't be the end of the world. I would rather them not Overpay for a average WR once again due to desperation.

Crazy_Chris
08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't think that he is on the PUP, so he may be good to go.

Correct Cedric isn't on the PUP but he is limited in practice.

General Zod
08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Thats alright Malcolm Floyd is still available and the Vikes are still talking to him from what I have read.

Even if they don't make another move at WR it won't be the end of the world. I would rather them not Overpay for a average WR once again due to desperation.

Im hearing that Floyd wants over 5 mil a year. Thats why no one has signed him yet.

Crazy_Chris
08-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Im hearing that Floyd wants over 5 mil a year. Thats why no one has signed him yet.

Yea thats what I read aswell. Which is why if smart the Vikes F/O & Coaches would act content with the current crop of WRs. Which is what they are doing right now. We just don't yet know if they sincerly are content or are just posturing to get that price down, or maybe both.

General Zod
08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Charlie Johnson isnt a bad addition. He's got a lot of experience. And can play tackle and guard.

http://blog.vikings.com/2011/08/01/vikings-sign-ot-charlie-johnson/

Crazy_Chris
08-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Charlie Johnson isnt a bad addition. He's got a lot of experience. And can play tackle and guard.

http://blog.vikings.com/2011/08/01/vikings-sign-ot-charlie-johnson/

Solid additon could be a good swing man type backup for multiple O-line positions. Also I would like to see him compete with Herrara/DeGeare for the RG job.

General Zod
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM

per twitter today:

JuddZulgad @JuddZulgad
Cedric Griffin looks good going through the individual drills. Doing some cutting.

yo123
08-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Good. Ced is huge for this team. Before he got hurt he had become a better cover corner than Winfield and one of the more underrated CB's in the league.

yo123
08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Sounds like McKinnie might have failed his conditioning test.

Awesome.

pete_norm
08-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Per Rotoworld : Bernard Berrian has restructured his contract and is now scheduled to be a free agent after this season.

Not a bad news... one year too late though :(

General Zod
08-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Maybe since now its the last year of his contract maybe he'll be a little less awful.

And Mckinnie is a damn bum.

russie
08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Berrian restructures deal in order to stay in Minnesota

Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2011, 11:23 PM EDT

AP
It was widely believed that the Vikings would cut receiver Bernard Berrian, who entered 2011 with a salary of $3.9 million and a cap charge of $6 million.

But it appears that Berrian will return, after restructuring his contract. And it doesn’t appear to be a restructuring that merely moves money around. Berrian, whose contract now covers two more seasons instead of three, likely took a pay cut.

“No, not at all,” Berrian said regarding the new deal, per Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press. “It was kind of up in the air. I knew in meetings they were talking about it, but when I got word from them that’s when we went in and met.”

Coach Leslie Frazier met with Berrian to discuss his role in new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave’s offense.

“I’m convinced that he knows this is the best place for him,” Frazier said. “He knows we have some things around him, we have his best interest at heart. And he has a chance to really thrive in our offense.”

Thrive is something Berrian hasn’t done much lately. But with Sidney Rice gone and only Michael Jenkins and Devin Aromashadu added via free agency, Berrian has a chance to be the primary complement to Percy Harvin.

wogitalia
08-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Sounds like McKinnie might have failed his conditioning test.

Awesome.

If it means we cut him, then it actually would be awesome. Right now I'd have more confidence in a bag of peanuts actually blocking than McKinnie. At least I haven't had to watch the bag of peanuts fail over the past 5 years and never seemingly have his job at threat...

wogitalia
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
PS... it's kind of depressing being a Vikes fan, we seem to have the stupid type of management that always thinks it has a contender even when it clearly doesn't and as a result we make entirely short sighted decisions that will eventually implode. We are basically putting bandaids over the cracks in the dam, I'd rather we just rebuilt.

I mean we have an aging DL that is getting weaker each year, outside of Greenway our LBs are very average and our secondary is awful. Our OL is one of the worst in the league and to call it an abortion would be a compliment. We have poor-average players at WR, we have nothing short term at QB and a questionable long term prospect. Basically we have an elite RB, which has unfortunately become just about the least important position in football...

I'm already bunkered in for several seasons of mediocrity, just can't see how we can beat the Packers or even the Lions without injuries being incredibly favourable over the next 3 years(looking any further than that isn't realistic) and that is only our division!

marshallb
08-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I just read on twitter that the Vikings have begun to talk with other teams about trading McKinnie. Even though we really don't have much to take over for him - Charlie Johnson would be his replacement and he's pretty bad at LT - it would still make me pretty happy if we could get more than nothing for him.

EDIT: and now there are rumors out there that McKinnie could be released.

NFL Network Vikings correspondent Ari Wolfe suggested live from Mankato Tuesday that LT Bryant McKinnie could be released in training camp.
Wolfe was only speculating, but the sentiment was echoed by NFL Network's Jason La Canfora and is undoubtedly becoming a possibility. By all accounts, McKinnie is severely out of shape and believed to weigh even more than the 360 pounds he ballooned to by last season's end. (He's listed at 335.) McKinnie is due a $4.9 million salary plus $750,000 in bonuses, the latter of which are being withheld with McKinnie on the the active/NFI list. Monday's signing of Charlie Johnson appears to be a direct indication of the Vikings' concern.
from rotoworld

Crazy_Chris
08-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I just read on twitter that the Vikings have begun to talk with other teams about trading McKinnie. Even though we really don't have much to take over for him - Charlie Johnson would be his replacement and he's pretty bad at LT - it would still make me pretty happy if we could get more than nothing for him.

EDIT: and now there are rumors out there that McKinnie could be released.

from rotoworld

picture of McKinnie

http://www.1500espn.com/wtf/images/sportswire/1312309147-McKinnie.JPG

Definatly looks above 360 IMO

Crazy_Chris
08-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Well... Hopefully now we are bad enough to be in postion for an elite LT prospect.

pete_norm
08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
It seems he's been released:

https://twitter.com/#!/ProFootballTalk/statuses/98477854815301632

Crazy_Chris
08-02-2011, 02:58 PM

It's a good thing we got McNabb, let him take the beating this year insted of Ponder. Then hopefully get our franchise LT next year in the draft.

djp
08-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Like McKinnie would have prevented McNabb getting hurt any more than the other offensive lineman on our roster. He's been, at the very best, average, for awhile now. Showing up to camp horribly out of shape when you know your job is shaky is just asking to get cut. Once he got his contract, his priorities clearly became out of whack. Also saves the team money that can be used towards Greenway and Peterson extensions. I can't believe people are even upset with this move.

McKinnie had to know that this was a make or break year for him and coming to camp the way that he did was simply inexcusable and now he'll likely have to play for pennies on the dollar compared to what he could be making.

vikes_28
08-02-2011, 03:03 PM

Lol, funny.

This season is going to be horrible. And it just keeps getting better and better! McNabb is going to get hurt after the first 5 games.

/negative comment about how ****** the vikings season is going to be.

Edit: I'm not upset with the move, I'm actually happy, but cutting him can't make things any better.

Crazy_Chris
08-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Like McKinnie would have prevented McNabb getting hurt any more than the other offensive lineman on our roster. He's been, at the very best, average, for awhile now. Showing up to camp horribly out of shape when you know your job is shaky is just asking to get cut. Once he got his contract, his priorities clearly became out of whack. Also saves the team money that can be used towards Greenway and Peterson extensions. I can't believe people are even upset with this move.

McKinnie had to know that this was a make or break year for him and coming to camp the way that he did was simply inexcusable and now he'll likely have to play for pennies on the dollar compared to what he could be making.

Don't think anyone is actually mad about it actually most people are re-joicing that they got rid of the un-motivated, under achievieing, headcase. It's the right move as he definatly wasn't going to play well at that bloated weight. But that doesn't change that going from average(McKinnie of years past) to well below average(C.Johnson/McKinnie this year) is a pretty big deal when you already have a bad o-line. Which is why I am even more glad that they made the move for McNabb now. Don't need Ponder developing bad habits behind this line.

On the plus side though a it has been mentioned that Loadholt came into camp in great shape. Who knows maybe he will step his game up this year.

The_Dude
08-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Going down to training camp (for the first time ever) for Thursday morning practice.

Goodbye McKinnie. There really shouldn't be too much of a drop off going to Johnson. But once again, the McNabb signing looks really smart. Let's let him get killed instead of our qb of the future. The McNabb signing also makes it appear that we are still trying to "win now" rather than admitting that the Vikes are entering a re-building stage. At least i hope that is what it is.... :)

Vikes99ej
08-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Does this mean Charlie Johnson at LT?

prock
08-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Thank god McKinnie is gone. He is such a ******* bum.

General Zod
08-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Does this mean Charlie Johnson at LT?

Yep. I think that was his whole purpose for coming to Minnesota. And to be honest, the way McKinnie played last season, its really not that much of a drop off in talent.

The_Dude
08-02-2011, 06:59 PM
But we still need to grab a RG & a dependable back up for the O Line.

Any suggestions?

FuzzyGopher
08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Can the front office now admit that we are rebuilding? Defenses are going to run train on McNabb this year. Poor fella.

FuzzyGopher
08-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Greg Cosell's assessment of McKinnie on Twitter.

"McKinnie below average LT. Liability on one of worst OL in NFL. C. Johnson not as physically gifted but competes. In that sense an upgrade."

"McKinnie 2 issues that always show up on film: Doesn't consistently play to athletic ability, and most bothersome, doesn't always compete."

BuckNaked
08-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I honestly had no idea that Leber was a free agent. Who on god's green earth would start for us if Seattle stole him from us too?

General Zod
08-03-2011, 12:25 PM
I honestly had no idea that Leber was a free agent. Who on god's green earth would start for us if Seattle stole him from us too?

They are planning on using Jasper Brinkley and Erin Henderson. And Im actually pretty comfortable with giving these guys a shot. I could even see Ross Homan getting involved too.

Vikes99ej
08-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Ugh, I don't want to Brinkley out in coverage if he's on the outside. If they want him to start, they should move EJ outside and put Jasper in the middle.

BuckNaked
08-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Ugh, I don't want to Brinkley out in coverage if he's on the outside. If they want him to start, they should move EJ outside and put Jasper in the middle.

Yeah I don't feel comfortable at all with Jasper on the outside.

General Zod
08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Um, it cant be any worse then Leber on the outside can it? I mean Leber was solid and all but coverage skills of 30+ year old linebackers are usually lacking. At least a younger guy would have some recovery speed for playing coverage. I just cant see EJ playing outside.

Vikes99ej
08-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Um, it cant be any worse then Leber on the outside can it? I mean Leber was solid and all but coverage skills of 30+ year old linebackers are usually lacking. At least a younger guy would have some recovery speed for playing coverage. I just cant see EJ playing outside.

Although it's been a while and he wasn't the best at it, EJ has spent time on the outside. I can't imagine Brinkley having a great amount of speed.

General Zod
08-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I thought we were suppose to be getting rid of Childress's rejects...

JuddZulgad @JuddZulgad
Vikings officially confirm they have re-signed OL Ryan Cook. #stribkato

yo123
08-03-2011, 11:23 PM
To be honest Leber was pretty pathetic in coverage anyway. Really none of our LB's our good in coverage, so I don't think it will be a huge issue. Brinkley is more of a liability against the pass than Erin I think, but has looked good against the run in limited action. I'm not too worried about our LB situation.

marshallb
08-04-2011, 03:03 AM
To be honest Leber was pretty pathetic in coverage anyway. Really none of our LB's our good in coverage, so I don't think it will be a huge issue. Brinkley is more of a liability against the pass than Erin I think, but has looked good against the run in limited action. I'm not too worried about our LB situation.

Yea, I'm with you on that. We've got much bigger worries than at LB, like on the OL, and how about at WR, or S.

General Zod
08-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Yea, I'm with you on that. We've got much bigger worries than at LB, like on the OL, and how about at WR, or S.

Yep, Id be a bit more optimistic about the season if we could just get another decent WR. I dont want to have to depend on Berrian getting his head out of his ass and playing.

I'll say the one good thing about Charlie Johnson is, seeing him play and in interviews(I live 30 mins from Indy). He has the right attitude, he is like the anti Mckinnie. lol He will compete and play hard on every play. He is only 27 and really isnt that bad of a player. The Colts really just couldn't afford to keep him, plus they drafted line help. Lots of experience at LT, but can play any spot.

The_Dude
08-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I see Charlie as a one year fix at LT. We have got to address the position early in the draft next year.

marshallb
08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
I see Charlie as a one year fix at LT. We have got to address the position early in the draft next year.

Oh yea, but I do think that Johnson can be a starter for us elsewhere on the line, either at G or possibly at RT if Loadholt doesn't bounce back after he regressed last year badly, and we don't have anyone even close to set as our future at LG or RG.

General Zod
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Oh, I know we need to address O line in next years draft. Im just saying that Johnson is only 27 and unless he plays just terrible this season he is worth keeping around.

I really hope Loadholt bounces back. He reported to camp weighing less and so far they say he looks a lot more trim and quick.

prock
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I would be perfectly fine if we dropped our first two or even three picks on offensive line next year.

BuckNaked
08-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I would be perfectly fine if we dropped our first two or even three picks on offensive line next year.

Not if it means we go another year with our only move at safety being addition by attraction with Manure.

General Zod
08-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Maybe we can get Taylor Mays for a 4th round pick? lol

General Zod
08-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Judd reports first team defense is Brian Robison, Kevin Williams, Remi Ayodele Jared Allen, Erin Henderson, E.J., Greenway, Winfield, Griffin, Sanford, Abdullah

I know its just the first days, but I figured Evans or Guion would get a shot at first team.

BuckNaked
08-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I don't like having Ramadan/Sanford and Son as our starting safeties. Are we definitely not bringing back Kennedy, because I'm not huge with Ayodele in the starting role. Also, I think we should try and sign Cotchery cheap to be our #2 behind Harvin. I love how more than a third of our current first team defense recently went undrafted or was picked in the seventh round. We're seriously a ******* joke, we might as well go scoop up Brian Russell and call it a day.

BuckNaked
08-04-2011, 06:24 PM
Excuse my double post, but I think we're soon going to be launched into another "BuckNaked Angry Vikings Fan" era. This hasn't really been in effect since the benching of Gus Frerotte. Albeit, there were some key moments that almost put me back on the wagon. Ex. Brett Favre's pick in the NFC Championship game, the drafting of Christian Ponder (which I'm trying to be positive about); just to name two. Regardless, I am mentally preparing myself for a dark age of Minnesota Vikings football. God bless.

djp
08-04-2011, 06:25 PM
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/08/bryant_mckinnie_vikings_twitter_lil_kim_shay_bucke e_johnson_sheneka_adams_luther_campbell_jeanette_j enkins_strip_club_miami.php

FuzzyGopher
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Jared Allen has begun the torturing of Charlie Johnson. Everson Griffen doing the same to Thomas Welch with 2 straight sacks. #Vikings

Wow, four touch-sacks in eight snaps for defensive line. Oline is a mess. #Vikings

Johnson's gettin destroyed. Two more "sacks" by Jared Allen. Second one he got out of stance slowly and never touched him. #Vikings

Aaaaand Allen gets another sack with a bull rush on Johnson. Maybe it's first-day jitters. Yeah, let's go ahead and say that. #Vikings

Sounds like Johnson is settling in nicely. We are going to suck ass this year but i think with McNabb and Peterson we will probably win more games than we should.

yo123
08-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Jared Allen has begun the torturing of Charlie Johnson. Everson Griffen doing the same to Thomas Welch with 2 straight sacks. #Vikings

Wow, four touch-sacks in eight snaps for defensive line. Oline is a mess. #Vikings

Johnson's gettin destroyed. Two more "sacks" by Jared Allen. Second one he got out of stance slowly and never touched him. #Vikings

Aaaaand Allen gets another sack with a bull rush on Johnson. Maybe it's first-day jitters. Yeah, let's go ahead and say that. #Vikings

Sounds like Johnson is settling in nicely. We are going to suck ass this year but i think with McNabb and Peterson we will probably win more games than we should.

I was there. Allen torched him like nothing I've ever seen before. Then again he does that to a lot of people so it's hard to judge.

Other things I took from TC-

Jaymar Johnson needs to start seeing the field. Especially given our weak WR situation. He has all the tools to be very good from the slot, the only guy quicker on the field was Percy.

Speaking of Percy, once again by far the most exciting player there. It was almost funny watching him in the 1 on 1 drills, everyone was so clearly over matched they looked beaten before the ball was snapped. One of those guys who you never fully appreciate until you see him in person.

The offensive line looked brutal from the top down. There was a stretch of 10 or so plays where about half were blown dead because they would have been sacks.

Part of it was our D-line too though. Allen was ridiculously good, he could not be blocked. Hopefully he has a bounceback year. Good pressure up the middle from the DT's and Everson Griffen made a big impact.

As far as the rookies go Ponder was a little erratic on the throwing drills, airmailed a few and wasn't really hitting guys in stride but that's to be expected right now. When they went live he looked solid. A lot of short throws but again he's still learning the offense. Kyle Rudolph looked solid, made a great one handed catch on a perfect throw from Ponder. Dropped a few balls in drills but he looked good overall. Brandon Burton had his ups and downs, got absolutely toasted twice one on one by Jaymar but held his own when they went 7 on 7.

And of course there is McNabb. I thought he looked very good overall. Good zip on his passes and seemed to be adapting quickly. A lot of short stuff but with the pass blocking out there it was hard to go down the field. I have a bad feeling that's how it may be all year.

yo123
08-04-2011, 09:21 PM
http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/08/bryant_mckinnie_vikings_twitter_lil_kim_shay_bucke e_johnson_sheneka_adams_luther_campbell_jeanette_j enkins_strip_club_miami.php

Embarrassing. Not surprising.

Good riddance you fat sack of crap.

yo123
08-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't like having Ramadan/Sanford and Son as our starting safeties. Are we definitely not bringing back Kennedy, because I'm not huge with Ayodele in the starting role. Also, I think we should try and sign Cotchery cheap to be our #2 behind Harvin. I love how more than a third of our current first team defense recently went undrafted or was picked in the seventh round. We're seriously a ******* joke, we might as well go scoop up Brian Russell and call it a day.

Sign me up for Jerricho Cotchery.

And I'm alright with Ayodele, it sounded like he really improved in N.O. and it's not like Fat Pat was good last year anyway. I agree on the safeties although Abdullah did play somewhat passably last year I think.

The_Dude
08-05-2011, 07:49 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/05/larry-fitzgerald-sr-says-that-larry-jr-always-wanted-to-be-a-viking/

Larry Fitzgerald Sr. says that Larry Jr. “always wanted to be a Viking”
Posted by Mike Florio on August 5, 2011, 7:53 AM EDT

APCardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald is entering the final year of his contract, and the Cardinals having no way to keep him from leaving after the season, since the contract prevents the team from using the franchise tag on the 2004 first-rounder. As a result, Cardinals G.M. Rod Graves recently told PFT Live that the franchise’s top priority at this point will be to sign Fitzgerald to a long-term extension before the regular season starts.

Some believe that Fitzgerald’s top alternative will be to return home to Minnesota and play for the Vikings. One person with unique access to Fitzgerald’s thought processes has provided some insight into that theory.

Appearing on ESPN Radio Los Angeles with Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley, Larry Fitzgerald Sr. had this to say when asked about the possibility, via SportsRadioInterviews.com: “No. The Vikings are clearing cap space I have heard that but Larry has to make that decision. This is his life and he has always wanted to be a Viking because he is a Viking. He was a ball boy and that type of thing. He loves playing in Arizona, he’s valued in that community, and he’s a Cardinal.”

So what would it take for Larry Jr. to be a Viking? “[T]he Cardinals would have to fall on their face,” Larry Sr. said.

One of the hosts then said that connecting the dots takes Larry Jr. back to Minnesota. “Well yeah he always wanted to be a Viking growing up. He got drafted by a Viking. Dennis Green left Minnesota and went to Arizona.”

Moving forward, the Cardinals should make their best offer to Fitzgerald sooner rather than later, especially with more than $14 million in cap room as of Thursday. If they can’t work it out with Larry Jr., then they should trade him to Minnesota now and get something in return.

We know it sounds far-fetched, but when Larry Sr. points out that the “Vikings are clearing cap space,” it sounds like something could possibly happen before 2012.

Anyone else just go from 6 to midnight?

It really does make sense with the lack of Sid or any of the other big $ wr free agents. It is most likely a pipe dream, but could be a strong possibility if Arizona doesn't get him signed during the season. I believe that his last contract includes language to prevent the Cards from using the franchise tag on him after the conctract is complete.

Crazy_Chris
08-05-2011, 08:47 AM
There is indeed hope if his contact does include a no franchise tag clause.

General Zod
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Peterson says today that he is just going to "let the chips fall where they may" And that its a possibility he could be testing the open market after this season.

All I can say is, with the season it looks like its shaping up to be, and possibly our worst offensive line yet, the Wilfs better look to getting him locked up long term asap.

If the Vikes let Peterson walk at the end of the season, well lets just say I wouldn't really gave a **** is the team moved. They could move to China for all I'd care.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/126839273.html

BuckNaked
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Peterson says today that he is just going to "let the chips fall where they may" And that its a possibility he could be testing the open market after this season.

All I can say is, with the season it looks like its shaping up to be, and possibly our worst offensive line yet, the Wilfs better look to getting him locked up long term asap.

If the Vikes let Peterson walk at the end of the season, well lets just say I wouldn't really gave a **** is the team moved. They could move to China for all I'd care.

If Peterson leaves...I can't even predict what I will do.

prock
08-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I might just quit football.

djp
08-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Translation: I want a **** load of money

The_Dude
08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
and the Queens need to give it to him.

wogitalia
08-08-2011, 02:11 AM

I've been saying that for 3 years now and we still haven't addressed it at all, I've begun to accept that our front office doesn't think OL is important, or safety or LB or WR or QB for that matter. RB and DL is apparently all that matters.

I see this as a positive, that sounds like improvement on last year...

Yep, it's going to be a really long year methinks. We have possibly the worst starting safety combo ever and if it wasn't for Hutch the OL would give it a shot as worst ever also!

General Zod
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I can only imagine what this first preseason game is going to look like. Our offense has sound horrendous in the first week of practice.

yo123
08-10-2011, 05:38 PM
it sounds like mistral Raymond is making a push for playing time at safety. getting some first team reps.

jimmylishis
08-10-2011, 07:16 PM
That would be awesome to see him start I love the way he plays and with our safety situation its not like he would be a downgrade. I could definitely see him developing into a solid starter in the league and he has the work ethic to do it. landing him in the 6th was a steal. I'm really excited to see what he can do, we definitely need it.

yo123
08-11-2011, 12:13 AM
I really don't know anything about him I don't follow college football nearly as much as I used to. Can anyone tell me anything about him?

It's nice to hear someone is impressing at the position, as opposed to the usual suckage.

General Zod
08-12-2011, 01:56 PM
I get pissed off when I see that Lee Evans goes to Ravens for a 4th rounder. Braylon is playing for the 49ers for peanuts basically. Jerricho Cotchery is buried on the Steelers depth chart, playing for cheap.

We need WR help, big time. These guys could have helped us and they wouldnt have broke the bank.

yo123
08-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Vikingz play tomorrow I'm so excitedzzz!!!!!!

wogitalia
08-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Vikingz play tomorrow I'm so excitedzzz!!!!!!

Footballzzzz is back... not sure whether to be excited or not because I have an awful feeling about the season and the weekend didn't exactly help with that...

vikes_28
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Footballzzzz is back... not sure whether to be excited or not because I have an awful feeling about the season and the weekend didn't exactly help with that...

I agree. The Lions starting squad looked really good against Cincy, and the Packers and Bears have done nothing but get better. I don't expect this season to be a good one.

prock
08-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Wait, the Bears got better? Getting rid of their best safety in a ****** secondary, not addressing the offensive line, and adding **** players made them better? The Bears won't win 8 games this year.

B-rand
08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Gosh those CB's looked terrible against the Titans...Asher and Cook could not tackle or cover man to man to save their lives.

No way our CB's can put that much pressure on the Safties this year, or it WILL turn out ugly.

I'm predicting an 8-8 season with hopes they surprise a couple times and get 9-7 or 10-6.

BuckNaked
08-16-2011, 11:36 PM
Gosh those CB's looked terrible against the Titans...Asher and Cook could not tackle or cover man to man to save their lives.

No way our CB's can put that much pressure on the Safties this year, or it WILL turn out ugly.

I'm predicting an 8-8 season with hopes they surprise a couple times and get 9-7 or 10-6.

Hahahahaha 8-8...good one.

wogitalia
08-17-2011, 01:12 AM
I like your optimism B-Rand, can't say I share it!

Crazy_Chris
08-17-2011, 11:57 AM
@SD L
TB L
DET W
@KC L
ARI W
@ CHI L
GB L
@ CAR W
Bye
@ GB L
OAK W
@ ATL L
DEN W
@ DET L
NO L
@ WAS W
CHI W

I got 7-9 but 10-6 definatly isn't out of the question with that schedule.

The_Dude
08-17-2011, 12:46 PM
@SD L
TB L
DET W
@KC L
ARI L
@ CHI L
GB L
@ CAR W
Bye
@ GB L
OAK L
@ ATL L
DEN W
@ DET L
NO L
@ WAS W
CHI W

I've got 5-11, but i am a pessimist. i really wouldn't be destroyed with a season like this. i think that we are really a couple of years away from competing for the playoffs & hopefully the super bowl. We've got a bunch of holes to fill in the secondary, o-line, & wr positions & it will take some great free agent signings & drafts over a couple of years to get us back to where we need to be.

Crazy_Chris
08-17-2011, 01:32 PM
5-11 is very realistic but it's the floor for the team this year IMO(barring significant) injuries. Aswell I don't think the Vikings should be close to a 10 win team. But I think it's very realistic against what is a pretty soft schedule.

Games they should win:
DET
@CAR
Oak
DEN
@WAS
CHI

Winnable games(could go either way):
ARI
@DET
@CHI

Also think the home opener agaisnt TB is a potential upset.

marshallb
08-17-2011, 04:31 PM
I really see us going like 5-11 or 6-10, which to me is just fine. It will put us in that 5-12 range, which puts us in a great draft position, but we still were watchable, which is the thing I'm hoping for: that we aren't so bad that we're hardly watchable.

The_Dude
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
agreed. i will always watch, but it would get kind of annoying if the wife fades partway through the season. She doesn't mind the losses, she just can't stand bad/sloppy football & would struggle to stay focused if it isn't even close.

FuzzyGopher
08-22-2011, 02:42 PM
Vikes sign DE Stylez White and are Bringing Kelvin Hayden for a workout.

General Zod
08-22-2011, 02:54 PM
The White signing puzzles me. But I do really hope we can pick up Hayden. I just hope his health is ok. Scott Kooistra was put on the IR today. It figures he actually has been playing ok and had a chance to start on the right side.

Ozzy
08-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Vikes sign DE Stylez White and are Bringing Kelvin Hayden for a workout.Really, that is odd, but would give some depth at the DE spot.

DE J. Allen, Ballard
DT K. Williams, Ayodele
DT F. Evans, Guion
DE E. Griffin, Robison

I would not cut any of these guys, so where is the spot for White? No way we cut Ballard, guess they could cut Guion but I do not see why they would.

As for Kayden, that is cool, but that means Winfield must have some type of injury issue, him or Griffin. Still not a huge need, I like the young corners on the roster to be honest.

General Zod The White signing puzzles me. But I do really hope we can pick up Hayden. I just hope his health is ok. Scott Kooistra was put on the IR today. It figures he actually has been playing ok and had a chance to start on the right side.So you would have him start over Charlie Johnson or Loadholt? That would surprise me, I do not know much about Kooistra though, never thought he was that good however. I wish we have Jermey Parnell from the Cowboys, now that is a good young tackle prospect with some upside, but at least we have Love, he will be a starter soon I feel.

General Zod
08-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Really, that is odd, but would give some depth at the DE spot.

DE J. Allen, Ballard
DT K. Williams, Ayodele
DT F. Evans, Guion
DE E. Griffin, Robison

I would not cut any of these guys, so where is the spot for White? No way we cut Ballard, guess they could cut Guion but I do not see why they would.

As for Kayden, that is cool, but that means Winfield must have some type of injury issue, him or Griffin. Still not a huge need, I like the young corners on the roster to be honest.

So you would have him start over Charlie Johnson or Loadholt? That would surprise me, I do not know much about Kooistra though, never thought he was that good however. I wish we have Jermey Parnell from the Cowboys, now that is a good young tackle prospect with some upside, but at least we have Love, he will be a starter soon I feel.

I feel that any DB of any quality we can get right now would be a plus. Outside of Winfield and Cedric(who has health issues to say the least), who do we have? Asher and Cook are terrible. Marcus Sherles is ok at times but is still raw.

Kooistra played on the right side. We dont know if Herrea is going to be healthy, Degreae is still raw and Ryan Cook sucks. Plus with Charlie Johnson playing so poorly Loadholt might get shifted to LT. Which is scary because he hasnt been very good either.

Guion im pretty sure isnt getting cut. He has had a strong camp and played lights out in that last preseaon game. That goal line stand at the 2 yard line that Seattle couldnt punch in was mostly due to him. Plus we are not sure about Williams suspension yet either and he also got hurt today at practice. So yeah, the White signing I dont really get.

FuzzyGopher
08-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Can he play tackle at all? Kevin Williams has a foot injury and needs to see a specialist and he may be suspended for 4 games. Or maybe they will use Ballard at UT during the suspension and White will be a backup at LE or RE.

Ozzy
08-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I feel that any DB of any quality we can get right now would be a plus. Outside of Winfield and Cedric(who has health issues to say the least), who do we have? Asher and Cook are terrible. Marcus Sherles is ok at times but is still raw.

Kooistra played on the right side. We dont know if Herrea is going to be healthy, Degreae is still raw and Ryan Cook sucks. Plus with Charlie Johnson playing so poorly Loadholt might get shifted to LT. Which is scary because he hasnt been very good either.

Guion im pretty sure isnt getting cut. He has had a strong camp and played lights out in that last preseaon game. That goal line stand at the 2 yard line that Seattle couldnt punch in was mostly due to him. Plus we are not sure about Williams suspension yet either and he also got hurt today at practice. So yeah, the White signing I dont really get.
I agree, Asher and Cook I dislike a lot, I think Asher might get cut. Sherels I think he shows a lot of promise, I like Brandon Burton as well, Cord Parks has tackled really well when he gets playing time and Tony Carter who they just signed had a big game as well in Seattle. So Burton for sure I think we should keep, Parks possibly, Sherels I would like over Asher to be honest. Agree Cook is not good and should maybe be moved to FS. Getting Hayden would be fine, but again that must mean one of those two starters are a lot more injuried than they seem.

Can Kooistra play guard? I think if Charlie Johnson struggles, which is not surprising, if he was good the Colts would have not let him go. But he is ok I guess, if he struggles I would rather see Love in there at offensive tackle and keep Loadholt on the right.

It is crazy though, Jermey Parnell would be such a great addition, we need talent at that offensive line spot and there is a lot of talent around.

General Zod
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
We signed Caleb King RB from Georgia today. Also surprising.

djp
08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
We signed Caleb King RB from Georgia today. Also surprising.

Warm body while RB's get healthy.

bearsfan_51
08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm not trying to troll here, but some of you have an inflated opinion of your defensive ends beyond Allen. Currently, your plan is to start a 4th round pick that has 0 career sacks in the NFL. Even if he doesn't make the final roster, it's not that hard to see why they signed White.

Ozzy
08-22-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm not trying to troll here, but some of you have an inflated opinion of your defensive ends beyond Allen. Currently, your plan is to start a 4th round pick that has 0 career sacks in the NFL. Even if he doesn't make the final roster, it's not that hard to see why they signed White.Clearly you have not seen many of the Vikings preseason games. Everson Griffen first off was an outstanding prospect at USC, and only reason he dropped in the draft is because some were concerned with his character and or work ethic. Well so far, yes his rookie year he did not do much, but this preseason he has shown great athletic ability to get off the edge and rush the passer. The kid was an athletic freak on USC, and underachieved. But so far he has more than impressed this preseason and should have anywhere from 4 to 8 sacks this up coming season, along and numerous quarterback pressures potentially if he gets his chance to start and I think he will.

Are they going to cut Brian Robison? I doubt it, will they cut Ballard? No way, thus where is the roster spot for White? Sure if Kevin Williams is suspended that will open a spot possibly but I have a hard time seeing them keep more than four defensive ends and doubt they get rid of any of there four defensive tackles.

It is not so much White is a bad player, it is who would you cut to keep him on the roster.

General Zod We signed Caleb King RB from Georgia today. Also surprising.Ehhh, was never a fan of his on Georgia, Ealey took playing time over him for obvious reasons, King is fast but is not strong and does not break tackles well, I doubt King gets a shot as a 3rd down back over Booker.

yo123
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
I'm not trying to troll here, but some of you have an inflated opinion of your defensive ends beyond Allen. Currently, your plan is to start a 4th round pick that has 0 career sacks in the NFL. Even if he doesn't make the final roster, it's not that hard to see why they signed White.

You're going to judge Griffen on his rookie year when he got almost no playing time? Really?

bearsfan_51
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Clearly you have not seen many of the Vikings preseason games.
Oh lord.

I'm sure they wouldn't sign him thinking "there's no way we cut our top 8-9 defensive linemen", so there's obviously a chance he can make the team. Given the total lack of proven ability, I can see why. The preseason....

bearsfan_51
08-22-2011, 06:45 PM
You're going to judge Griffen on his rookie year when he got almost no playing time? Really?
I'm not saying he's an awful player, I'm saying it makes total sense for them to bring in a vet for insurance.

yo123
08-22-2011, 06:46 PM
I agree, Asher and Cook I dislike a lot, I think Asher might get cut. Sherels I think he shows a lot of promise, I like Brandon Burton as well, Cord Parks has tackled really well when he gets playing time and Tony Carter who they just signed had a big game as well in Seattle. So Burton for sure I think we should keep, Parks possibly, Sherels I would like over Asher to be honest. Agree Cook is not good and should maybe be moved to FS. Getting Hayden would be fine, but again that must mean one of those two starters are a lot more injuried than they seem.

Can Kooistra play guard? I think if Charlie Johnson struggles, which is not surprising, if he was good the Colts would have not let him go. But he is ok I guess, if he struggles I would rather see Love in there at offensive tackle and keep Loadholt on the right.

It is crazy though, Jermey Parnell would be such a great addition, we need talent at that offensive line spot and there is a lot of talent around.

You really have too much hope for some of these guys. Guys like Tony Carter and Cord Parks are never going to contribute, and there is about a 99.9% chance Sherel's performance so far is a fluke. He never even really stood out playing for an absolutely terrible Gopher team.

And Demarcus Love has a better shot at being cut or put on the PS than starting at LT this year.

B-rand
08-22-2011, 07:27 PM
If we need another roster spot along the D-line, can that come from one of our 6 TE's??? Shiancoe, Rudolph and one of: Kleinsasser/Dugan. That's all we need, no need to carry the multitude of TE's this team has in the past.

Ozzy
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
yo123 You really have too much hope for some of these guys. Guys like Tony Carter and Cord Parks are never going to contribute, and there is about a 99.9% chance Sherel's performance so far is a fluke. He never even really stood out playing for an absolutely terrible Gopher team.

And Demarcus Love has a better shot at being cut or put on the PS than starting at LT this year.Sherel's performance a fluke? I doubt that, on the Gophers he was no star but showed good quickness, anticipation and ball skills, and that is what he is showing so far on the Vikings. No surprise he was not drafted but not a surprise he got a shot at making a roster. Not elite obviously but as if Asher Allen is better playing in that same quick nickle corner role? Cord Parks, never going to contribute? That is a little much, hope you speak of just this year, because the kid just got into the league.

And DeMarcus Love being cut? Really? Being cut over starting in a game this season? I am not a betting man but I would put some money down on that wager...

B-rand If we need another roster spot along the D-line, can that come from one of our 6 TE's??? Shiancoe, Rudolph and one of: Kleinsasser/Dugan. That's all we need, no need to carry the multitude of TE's this team has in the past.I would not do that, of the four we have Shiancoe, Rudolph, Kleinsasser and I would keep Reisner over Dugan just because of his youth. I would not want to cut any of those four. Six of course we would not carry six, but I would not cut any of those four players personally. Especially since we should play more two tight end sets with having a weaker receiver core.

yo123
08-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Sherel's performance a fluke? I doubt that, on the Gophers he was no star but showed good quickness, anticipation and ball skills, and that is what he is showing so far on the Vikings. No surprise he was not drafted but not a surprise he got a shot at making a roster. Not elite obviously but as if Asher Allen is better playing in that same quick nickle corner role? Cord Parks, never going to contribute? That is a little much, hope you speak of just this year, because the kid just got into the league.

The fact that you complete reject the notion of Marcus Sherels being a fluke is evidence enough that you put about 1000x more into the preseason than you should. Players go undrafted for reasons, and looking good against backups and halfassing starters doesn't go anywhere towards proving worth. He was forgettble enough with the Gophers to not even get an invite to a training camp initially, which 8 Gophers did. He had to go to a try out camp.

Ozzy
08-23-2011, 07:28 AM
yo123 The fact that you complete reject the notion of Marcus Sherels being a fluke is evidence enough that you put about 1000x more into the preseason than you should. Players go undrafted for reasons, and looking good against backups and halfassing starters doesn't go anywhere towards proving worth. He was forgettble enough with the Gophers to not even get an invite to a training camp initially, which 8 Gophers did. He had to go to a try out camp.I sure hope you are not trying to say undrafted free agents are worthless. Not saying Sherel's is a star now, but he has promise, and do not even start with the concept undrafted free agents are not good, just one example of many, Alan Ball went undrafted and now has a chance to start on the Dallas Cowboys. Let us not even talk about Erin Henderson either. Does Sherel's have that elite ability? Not elite, no, but a lot of the time players play better in the pros than they did in college and peak not in college but in the NFL. So I hope this is just in regards to Sherel's, if you dislike him, great, but undrafted free agents are extremely important to all organizations because a lot of the time one can get a quality backup, potential starter, or future pro bowler from signing an undrafted free agent.

yo123
08-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I sure hope you are not trying to say undrafted free agents are worthless. Not saying Sherel's is a star now, but he has promise, and do not even start with the concept undrafted free agents are not good, just one example of many, Alan Ball went undrafted and now has a chance to start on the Dallas Cowboys. Let us not even talk about Erin Henderson either. Does Sherel's have that elite ability? Not elite, no, but a lot of the time players play better in the pros than they did in college and peak not in college but in the NFL. So I hope this is just in regards to Sherel's, if you dislike him, great, but undrafted free agents are extremely important to all organizations because a lot of the time one can get a quality backup, potential starter, or future pro bowler from signing an undrafted free agent.

I'm saying 99% of undrafted FA's are worthless, and you're mistaken if you think that any given one has more than a 1% chance of succeeding. And if you're using 2 preseason games against scrubs to justify their worth that's not even close to enough. Even if Sherels makes the team he's our 5th CB and won't see the field. You give me one example of a UDFA succeeding and I can give you 100 than are bagging groceries right now.

Vikes99ej
08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Sherels will be cut. Between Allen, Winfield, Griffin, Cook and Brandon Burton we have enough corners.

yo123
08-23-2011, 06:18 PM
We're looking at Kelvin Hayden as well, if that happens Burton and Sherels are both gone.

Ozzy
08-23-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm saying 99% of undrafted FA's are worthless, and you're mistaken if you think that any given one has more than a 1% chance of succeeding. And if you're using 2 preseason games against scrubs to justify their worth that's not even close to enough. Even if Sherels makes the team he's our 5th CB and won't see the field. You give me one example of a UDFA succeeding and I can give you 100 than are bagging groceries right now.Yeah Arian Foster, Josh Cribbs, Kris Dielman, Wes Welker, Jake Delhomme, London Fletcher, Ryan Grant, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun O'Hara, Antiono Pierce, David Akers, Jason Peters, Willie Parker and Matt Turk. Those are all pretty suspect players huh. Let us not even discuss the likes of John Randle, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner or Warren Moon. I think that 1% chance is a little higher than that, just a guess. That is not even counting the solid backups who are not starters but provide good backup support when someone gets injured.

Will see what happens, what is for sure, I value undrafted free agents that slipped through the cracks of the draft more than you do.

B-rand
08-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Some fans (Minnesota fans especially) are always going to root for the underdog players who put in their work in try-outs, practice squads, and pre-season battles......it's what football and pro sports is all about. Cheering for the little guy to rise up, supporting your home-grown talent turning into a legitimate contributor.

Don't knock on a guy for supporting the guys who obviously are fighting hard to earn a job, and see playing in the NFL as a privilege, not a right.

B-rand
08-24-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm saying 99% of undrafted FA's are worthless, and you're mistaken if you think that any given one has more than a 1% chance of succeeding. And if you're using 2 preseason games against scrubs to justify their worth that's not even close to enough. Even if Sherels makes the team he's our 5th CB and won't see the field. You give me one example of a UDFA succeeding and I can give you 100 than are bagging groceries right now.

Then start you're complaining when the team signs UDFA's....get on the boat early and set a standard.

If we use you're logic, we should only go into camp with maybe 60 players

yo123
08-24-2011, 12:57 AM
Then start you're complaining when the team signs UDFA's....get on the boat early and set a standard.

If we use you're logic, we should only go into camp with maybe 60 players

What are you even talking about? I'm saying that most UDFA's amount to nothing. Not that they shouldn't get an opportunity. Go ahead and build a team full of Marcus Sherels and we'll see how you do. If you build your expectations on a player based on preseason performance you will be disappointed every single year.

yo123
08-24-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah Arian Foster, Josh Cribbs, Kris Dielman, Wes Welker, Jake Delhomme, London Fletcher, Ryan Grant, Cullen Jenkins, Shaun O'Hara, Antiono Pierce, David Akers, Jason Peters, Willie Parker and Matt Turk. Those are all pretty suspect players huh. Let us not even discuss the likes of John Randle, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates, Kurt Warner or Warren Moon. I think that 1% chance is a little higher than that, just a guess. That is not even counting the solid backups who are not starters but provide good backup support when someone gets injured.

Will see what happens, what is for sure, I value undrafted free agents that slipped through the cracks of the draft more than you do.

Stop naming players like I don't know that some have succeeded. The fact that you slipped a few kickers in that list says a lot.

Using the Vikings as an example-

2010-
RJ Archer
Thomas Austin
Matt Hanson
Tommy Hernandez
Aaron Rhea
Ray Small
Terrell Skinner
Kelton Tindal
Angelo Williams
Marlon Winn

Who?

2009-
Vinny Peretta
Jon Cooper
Andy Kemp
Robert Francouis
DeVon Hall
Andy Schantz
Justin Kucek
Colt Anderson

Jon Cooper has been a backup body, no one else has done anything.

Husain Abdullah
Martail Bennett
Leger Douzable
Marcus Griffin
Steven Hauscka
Erin Henderson
Nate Jones
Travis Key
J Leman
Tim Mattran
Drew Radovich
Darius Reynaud
Brandon Sumrall
Marcus Walker
Albert Young
Kyle Wright

About all that anyone could ever hope for from a UDFA class. Henderson is unproven as a starter but I like him. Abdullah is a starter for us but would start for a very small number of teams.

Joe Anoai
Jeremy Burnett
Brian Daniels
Josh Day
Sergio Gillam
George Hall
Chase Johnson
Braden Jones
Dan Mozes
Alex Reyes
Arky Whitlock

No one worth mentioning.

2006-
Albert Stinson
Jason Carter
Hank Baskett
Steven Jackson
Taurean Hendereson
Jon Torp
Jason Palermo
Charles Gordon
Donald Penn
Kyle Smith
Robert Cobbs
Wendell Mathis
Jayme Mitchell
Kyle McKenzie
Barrick Nealy

Donald Penn is an ok tackle that I'm sure the Bucs wouldn't mind upgrading. Everyone else sucks.

So out of 59 UDFA's the last 5 years there are 2 contributing for our team. And you are talking like you're counting on these guys. Ok.

yo123
08-24-2011, 01:30 AM
Some fans (Minnesota fans especially) are always going to root for the underdog players who put in their work in try-outs, practice squads, and pre-season battles......it's what football and pro sports is all about. Cheering for the little guy to rise up, supporting your home-grown talent turning into a legitimate contributor.

Don't knock on a guy for supporting the guys who obviously are fighting hard to earn a job, and see playing in the NFL as a privilege, not a right.

You've been watching too many underdog sports movies. That is not what pro sports is all about. It's about winning.

Ozzy
08-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Using the Vikings as an example-

2010-
RJ Archer
Thomas Austin
Matt Hanson
Tommy Hernandez
Aaron Rhea
Ray Small
Terrell Skinner
Kelton Tindal
Angelo Williams
Marlon Winn

Who?
Terrell Skinner was on the Colts for a little while but did not stick. Ray Small was around the league a little last year but was never any good in college so is probably done. But yes overall this is a pretty crappy group

2009-
Vinny Peretta
Jon Cooper
Andy Kemp
Robert Francouis
DeVon Hall
Andy Schantz
Justin Kucek
Colt Anderson

Jon Cooper has been a backup body, no one else has done anything.
Correction, Robert Francouis is a backup on the Packers and a decent player, and Colt Anderson was on the Eagles for a little while but no longer

Husain Abdullah
Martail Bennett
Leger Douzable
Marcus Griffin
Steven Hauscka
Erin Henderson
Nate Jones
Travis Key
J Leman

About all that anyone could ever hope for from a UDFA class. Henderson is unproven as a starter but I like him. Abdullah is a starter for us but would start for a very small number of teams. Leger Douzable has bounced around as well, only a backup but is in the league but is still currently on the Jaguar. Darius Reynaud is still on the Giants currently, might not make the roster but could get on with another team. Marcus Walker was on the Panthers for awhile. Drew Radovich has bounced around the league as a backup. J Leman has bounced around the league, was on the Chargers practice squad last year. s.

Joe Anoai
Jeremy Burnett
Brian Daniels
Josh Day
Sergio Gillam
George Hall
Chase Johnson
Braden Jones
Dan Mozes
Alex Reyes
Arky Whitlock

No one worth mentioning.
Agreed, another back group for them, bad signings

2006-
Albert Stinson
Jason Carter
Hank Baskett
Steven Jackson
Taurean Hendereson
Jon Torp
Jason Palermo
Charles Gordon
Donald Penn
Kyle Smith
Robert Cobbs
Wendell Mathis
Jayme Mitchell
Kyle McKenzie
Barrick Nealy

Donald Penn is an ok tackle that I'm sure the Bucs wouldn't mind upgrading. Everyone else sucks.
Jayme Mitchell has a chance to start on the Browns this up coming year. Hank Baskett has bounced around a little, not a great player but is still around the league from time to time. Charles Gordon would still be in the league if he did not break his leg I feel.

So correction on those numbesr, a lot of these players, some of who are still in the league and some were around for a little while. But I scout players, a lot of them, and I am clearly excited when a prospect I liked gets on a roster and gets a chance to prove themselves. Like I said before, clearly you do not view it that way.

yo123
08-24-2011, 07:49 AM
Just because someone is on a team does not mean they are a useful player. "Bouncing around" means nothing if you're not seeing the field. I missed Jayme Mitchell and Reynaud showed some promise as a return guy for us but by all accounts from Giants fans was horrible last year and I doubt he makes the team. I really doubt either one of us is going to be convinced either way here so I guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Ravens1991
08-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey guys how was McKinnie for you last year. We just picked him up and he is gonna start at LT for us. I read bad things about his performance just curious how did he do

B-rand
08-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Hey guys how was McKinnie for you last year. We just picked him up and he is gonna start at LT for us. I read bad things about his performance just curious how did he do

McKinnie was our scapegoat along the O-line, whether it was fair or not. He made the pro bowl last year, but was asked to leave because he went to strip club instead of going to practice.

The guy has all the ability in the world to be a top-tier LT in the NFL, but he's just so freaking lazy. 75% of the plays, you will see him standing around with hand on hips while your QB or RB gets gang tackled.

B-rand
08-24-2011, 10:33 AM
You've been watching too many underdog sports movies. That is not what pro sports is all about. It's about winning.

And bringing in underdog guys makes the regular starters have someone nipping at their heels. It's just accountability for improving at your job. Do you think Asher Allen likes reading the papers and hearing about the improvement of Marcus Sherels? Asher has to go to work everyday and prove that he is worth keeping over this guy the fans are trending.

Kid_Ego
08-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Id also like to point out to truely make a case for udfas keep in mind the draft is alot shorter then it used to be there used to be alot more rounds so there are plenty of very very good players who have went after round 7

B-rand
08-27-2011, 06:47 PM
What are you even talking about? I'm saying that most UDFA's amount to nothing. Not that they shouldn't get an opportunity. Go ahead and build a team full of Marcus Sherels and we'll see how you do. If you build your expectations on a player based on preseason performance you will be disappointed every single year.

No one is asking for a team full of UDFA's.....some of us are simply asking that this one UDFA (Marcus Sherels) gets an opportunity to show what he can do over the course of a regular season on the NFL squad. He's probably the fastest player on the team right now, and from the looks of it, he's a better player than Asher Allen....

In fact, I'd say that the top-3 CB's are the only locks (Winfield, Griffen, and Cook) after that, there should be 2 slots open to fill between: Sherels, Allen, Burton, and Tony Carter. Sherels is definitely in the top-2 of that list right now.

vikes_28
08-27-2011, 07:23 PM
That was a beautiful play from McNabb to Berrian. Hope we see a lot of that this year. But I doubt it.

yo123
08-27-2011, 07:57 PM
No one is asking for a team full of UDFA's.....some of us are simply asking that this one UDFA (Marcus Sherels) gets an opportunity to show what he can do over the course of a regular season on the NFL squad. He's probably the fastest player on the team right now, and from the looks of it, he's a better player than Asher Allen....

In fact, I'd say that the top-3 CB's are the only locks (Winfield, Griffen, and Cook) after that, there should be 2 slots open to fill between: Sherels, Allen, Burton, and Tony Carter. Sherels is definitely in the top-2 of that list right now.

Marcus Sherels is faster than Percy Harvin? Yeah ok. And for the millionth time I'm not saying he shouldn't get a chance. I'm saying that anything you get from an UDFA is a bonus and not something you should expect based on a couple of preseason games.

Vikes99ej
08-27-2011, 08:09 PM
I hate our ******* secondary so much. I would not care if every one of those idiots were cut tomorrow.

General Zod
08-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Soooo are we going to talk about how much Marcus Sherels got burned in the first half alone after this game?

yeah.....

Vikes99ej
08-27-2011, 08:52 PM
im very disappointed. so sloppy.

yo123
08-27-2011, 09:01 PM
im very disappointed. so sloppy.

Seriously? The offense looked awesome other than a flukey tipped INT. The secondary sucked but what else did you expect from them?

The blocked kick sucked but those things are easily fixed.

yo123
08-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Soooo are we going to talk about how much Marcus Sherels got burned in the first half alone after this game?

yeah.....

Yeah. Maybe we should hold off on his HOF bust after all.

Also has Tyrell Johnson made a single good play since we drafted him? I'm dead serious.

BuckNaked
08-27-2011, 09:47 PM

Also has Tyrell Johnson made a single good play since we drafted him? I'm dead serious.

Hey take it easy on him, he's still adjusting from playing at a small school...

General Zod
08-27-2011, 09:50 PM

I think tonight should do it for Tyrell's Viking career. Our secondary is so bad. Even Cedric played like poop tonight. :-(

Ozzy
08-28-2011, 09:13 AM
I did not see the game, but I agree and have always though since we drafted Tyrell Johnson that he should take a walk, not a good safety. So Sherel's played that bad? Doubt he was that awful, kind of see what one wants to see. As if Asher played any better?

Ozzy
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Vikings better get on the wire quickly. The Ravens just let go Oniel Cousins and Ryan Bartholomew. Cousins was a very good prospect when he came out for the draft, not a great player yet but could give some decent depth on the line and has potential to improve. And Bartholomew especially, he is a decent center prospect that could be ok down the road. Only reason he was cut I feel is because Bryan Mattison surprised everyone, was a star defensive lineman on Iowa, now a center in the NFL and gained weight to do it, but still Bartholomew would have made the team I image if it was not for that move by Mattison.

They also let go TE Jonathan Stupar but we already have tight ends clearly.

Hope the Vikings stay with it, they could get some ok players once final cuts are done and some decent project players get let go.

yo123
08-28-2011, 01:42 PM
I did not see the game, but I agree rooting and have always though since we drafted Tyrell Johnson that he should take a walk, not a good safety. So Sherel's played that bad? Doubt he was that awful, kind of see what one wants to see. As if Asher played any better?

What? No one is rooting for sherels to fail but he sucked. And allen didn't play.

The_Dude
08-28-2011, 08:52 PM
i was in and out watching the game last night.

the one things that i really liked was the variety in our offensive sets. I can't remember the last time that i;ve seen the Vikes in an empty backfield or all of the wr/te bunches that they were running last night.

for some reason, this is giving me a little bit of hope.

yo123
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
i was in and out watching the game last night.

the one things that i really liked was the variety in our offensive sets. I can't remember the last time that i;ve seen the Vikes in an empty backfield or all of the wr/te bunches that they were running last night.

for some reason, this is giving me a little bit of hope.

Yeah creativity was never Bevell's strong suit.

General Zod
08-28-2011, 10:01 PM
I guess its still one thing that keeps me a little optimistic is that the offense and defense playcalling has been very vanilla so far.

General Zod
08-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Waived today: QB Rhett Bomar TE Ed Barham, WR Andre Holmes, OL Conan Amituanai, DT Colby Whitlock, LB Kyle O'Donnell, LB Jonathan Gilmore, DB Chris Adingupu, DB Simeon Castille and K Nate Whitaker

B-rand
08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Cowboys release Pro-Bowl Center Andre Gurode. Let's hope Rob B can at least get him in here for a visit, but it would sure take some messing around with the cap to fit him on the roster.

Ozzy
08-30-2011, 07:09 AM
B-rand Cowboys release Pro-Bowl Center Andre Gurode. Let's hope Rob B can at least get him in here for a visit, but it would sure take some messing around with the cap to fit him on the roster.I agree with that, we should really take a look at him.

Other players that could get a chance I feel...

OL
Zach Hurd
Josh Beekman

DB
Chip Vaughn,
Ashton Youboty
Jonathan Wilhite

General Zod
09-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Well its just the 1st quarter and Tyrell Johnson has racked up a dropped pick, a badly missed tackle for a big gain and getting beat on a deep route.

Buh-Bye Tyrell. lol

Vikes99ej
09-01-2011, 07:56 PM
God Ponder is awesome.

FuzzyGopher
09-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Considering the protection Ponder has been getting I'm pretty impressed with his performance. Also, he's got some wheels.

General Zod
09-01-2011, 09:06 PM
If Joe Webb started this game he'd have 200 rushing yards by now. lol

yo123
09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Damn. I knew Ponder could move but not like that. Our depth at O-line is just so unbelievable terrible.

Vikes99ej
09-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Stylez White and Jaymar Johnson cut.

yo123
09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Jaymar being cut all but guarantees Sherels is making the team for punt returns. Good for him, great story. Looks like the CB on the bubble now is Asher Allen.

FuzzyGopher
09-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Good, Allen is ******* terrible, he can go join Marcus McCauley and hopefully Tyrell Johnson in the unemployment line.

yo123
09-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Absolutely. Keeping all 6 of Winfield, Griffin, Cook, Sherels, Burton, and Allen is a possibility too though.

General Zod
09-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Absolutely. Keeping all 6 of Winfield, Griffin, Cook, Sherels, Burton, and Allen is a possibility too though.

I think its likely really. With Cook and Griffins injury history, throw in Winfield getting up there in years. I could see them keeping an extra DB

yo123
09-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Arceneaux, Iglesias, Stephen Burton, Asiata, Ross Homan and D'imperio all cut. So it will most likely be Camarillo and Aromashadu as the fourth and fifth receivers.

yo123
09-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Also Kluwe just tweeted that Farwell got cut. Big surprise there. I guess they think they can find cheaper special team help. I don't get it.

FuzzyGopher
09-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I think with kickoffs basically being eliminated it doesn't make much sense to pay a guy $1.25m to cover punts.

General Zod
09-03-2011, 05:10 PM
More cuts: Caleb King, Ryan Cook, Chris DeGeare, Thomas Welch, David Herron, Cord Parks

I cant believe DeGeare got cut. I thought there was a chance he might start this season.

yo123
09-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Also surprised DeGeare is gone but he wasn't very good last year, must not have shown much in TC. Ryan Cook is pretty surprising to me even though he sucks balls. But our offensive line depth is terrible anyway we might as well go with younger guys with room to improve.

Tyrell Johnson making it makes me sad.

General Zod
09-04-2011, 08:23 AM
It would be nice if we went after Brandon Tate or Brandon Meriweather.

The_Dude
09-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Meriweather, especially.

The Dynasty
09-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Meriweather, especially.

Too Late. Bears already signed him. We should look into Tate though. He has shown some flashes of being good. But whats our cap space now after all the cuts though?

russie
09-04-2011, 01:50 PM
i would have rather seen them keep caleb king instead of booker, also the vikes have claimed xavier adibi (lb) from houston

Vikes99ej
09-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Vikings get Xavier Adibi. Super Bowl-bound baby

yo123
09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
i would have rather seen them keep caleb king instead of booker, also the vikes have claimed xavier adibi (lb) from houston

Why? King had a mediocre college career and no one even wanted to spend a seventh on him in the supplemental draft. Booker was very good in the preseason and can be a good third down type back. Also could be a useful special teams player.

marshallb
09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Vikings practice squad: OL Chris DeGeare, FB Ryan D'Imperio, FB Matt Asiata, WR Emmanuel Arcenaux, WR Stephen Burton, RB Caleb King, DT Cedric McKinley. That's 7 guys, one less than the 8 that you can keep on the practice squad. My guess is that they're trying to get Allen Reisner on there after they waived him following the signing of Adibi, but he has yet to clear waivers.

marshallb
09-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Some very good news: Vikings sign Chad Greenway to contract extension (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_sign_Chad_Greenway_to_contract_extension09 0511)

Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway has reached an agreement on a contract extension with the team, coach Leslie Frazier announced after Monday's practice.

Greenway had been given the franchise tag by the Vikings and was set to play under the terms of that one-year deal.

It was key the Vikings got the franchise tag off of Greenway before Sept. 20 because after that date a long-term agreement could not have been worked out until the season was completed.

Edit: per Tom Pelissero's twitter, the deal is a 5 year extension, including this year, and that Adrian's contract is now being discussed. It was the plan to wait and do Adrian's after they got Greenway's done.

Peliserro also said that: "Jamarca Sanford will start at strong safety but Tyrell Johnson may rotate in." and "Sounds like Christian Ponder is the No. 2 QB for now."

Ozzy
09-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the updates marshallb...

Looks like they signed Resiner to the practice squad, that is great to keep him. Too bad they did not sign Parks to the squad though. I would take Parks over Cedric McKinley.

And good news for Gopher fans, Adam Weber got signed to Denver's practice squad, good for him, I always though he had really good leadership potential and decent ability and nice to see his hard work pay off and make a practice squad. Traye Simmons also made the Chargers practice squad.

Crazy Nate Bussey made the Saints practice squad, that guy came out of no where for Illinois last year. Small linebacker, made plays and now is on a NFL practice squad, crazy.

Aaron Maybin was waived again...

Cardinals let go Kris O'Dowd, Matt Ware and Fred Bennett. O'Dowd must have injury issues, because he was pretty solid in college, and Matt Ware could be a ok backup at safety, not a star but a fine athlete. And Bennett is ok but clearly has lost a step or two.

Also Ryan Harris is out there, Eagles let him go because he was injured I guess..

Eagles let go Johnnie Lee Higgins, Marlin Jackson and Derek Landri. All players Vikings could take a look at, especially Higgins or Jackson.

Also Colts let go Ollie Ogbu, not a star but is a rookie who has potential but doubt they sign him.

russie
09-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Vikings give Adrian Peterson $36 million guarantee on new deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 10, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT

Getty Images
The Minnesota Vikings have reached agreement on a new contract with Adrian Peterson that could keep the running back in Minnesota for the rest of his career.

Peterson is signing a seven-year, $100 million deal with $36 million guaranteed, a league source tells PFT.

The contract means there’s a good chance that the 26-year-old Peterson will retire a Viking.

Peterson’s deal is the biggest to date for a running back, topping both the five-year, $43 million deal with $21 million guaranteed for DeAngelo Williams and the four-year, $53.5 million contract with $30 million guaranteed for Chris Johnson.

russie
09-10-2011, 02:35 PM
More details on Adrian Peterson’s deal

Posted by Mike Florio on September 10, 2011, 3:27 PM EDT

Getty Images
With Adrian Peterson due to make $10.7 million in 2011 and, if subject to the franchise tag, $12.84 million in 2012, Peterson truly was in the driver’s seat. And he has now traded in the car for a deal that will pay him a whopping $40 million in the first three years.

In contrast, Titans running back Chris Johnson will receive $31 million over the next three seasons. Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams will be paid $30 million in that same period of time.

The seven-year deal (technically, six-year extension) will pay $52 million over four years and $65 million over five years. Johnson will get $39 million and $47 million, respectively, over that same period of time.

The ultimate question is whether Peterson will still be playing under this deal in the fourth or fifth year of it. As a running back ages, the more money he makes can make his status more tenuous with the team. For Peterson, the Vikings likely will begin comparing cap hit to compensation to expected production as soon as the third year of the new deal.

In the unlikely event that Peterson plays for each of the next seven years under the new contract, he’ll make $96 million, and he’ll be eligible for a $4 million escalator that will push the total value to $100 million, if he achieves it. Once we get the full deal, we’ll break down the year-by-year bonuses and salaries, in the hopes of getting a feel for the true length and value of the arrangement.

Crazy_Chris
09-10-2011, 04:33 PM
very well deserved, glad they got him re-signed.

marshallb
09-10-2011, 06:36 PM
very well deserved, glad they got him re-signed.

Exactly. Adrian deserved a big contract, and we NEEDED to re-sign him. I'm very happy with this: last week we got Greenway locked up long term, and now we got AP locked up for what should, in all likelihood, be the rest of his career.

yo123
09-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't think there was ever any doubt, it's just nice to get this out of the way.

General Zod
09-12-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh and just to note...

Bryant McKinnie looked like a pro bowl LT for the Ravens yesterday.

marshallb
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Oh and just to note...

Bryant McKinnie looked like a pro bowl LT for the Ravens yesterday.

He's done that for us for years, one week he'll look like a stud, then the next week - or 5 - he'll look like a complete bum. It sucks that Johnson sucked yesterday, but we knew we were gonna have to draft a LT extremely soon anyways, whether we kept McKinnie or not.

Crazy_Chris
09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't think he will play the whole season on that level. But how ironic that would be if McKinnie decided to play up to his potential now that he is gone.

pete_norm
09-15-2011, 07:17 AM
I watched New England-Miami last monday. It felt good to see Benny Sapp getting burned left and right for another team than the Vikings... Vikings should have cut him a long time ago.

marshallb
09-15-2011, 03:01 PM
To be honest, I thought Sapp was a good(ok, maybe solid would be putting it better) cover guy, but he was a hothead that made some stupid, boneheaded penalties at usually the worst possible time. I thought he was better than what we currently have as our 3rd/4th corners, and if he's still that same player(IDK if he is, I was working during the game on Monday night and really haven't seen the Dolphins play much at all since we traded him there last year), I'd be happy if we brought him back, I mean, hell, how bad could his penalties hurt us? Not any more than what those 3 offsides penalties did on Sunday...

yo123
09-15-2011, 06:04 PM
Benny Sapp developed himself into a very capable nickel guy by the time he left us. His aggressiveness both hurt and helped him at times but it did more good than bad. Must not have done well in Miami though.

FuzzyGopher
09-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Is anyone else getting the feeling that this weekend will be a coming out party for that young Bucs defensive line? Charlie Johnson is a 300 lb. turnstile, Herrera seems out of shape and slow and Sullivan gets overpowered easily. Maybe we should use 1 or 2 of the 800 TEs we have on the roster to stay in and help these guys out.

On a side note Sidney Rice is out again for Seattle, that guy is a ******* china doll, he's just always dinged up.

vikes_28
09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
On a side note Sidney Rice is out again for Seattle, that guy is a ******* china doll, he's just always dinged up.

Why I said that i'm not too sad that he's gone. One year wonder.

yo123
09-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Year in and year out we are the weakest team mentally in the league. When it rains it pours and we never do anything to stop it.

Vikes99ej
09-18-2011, 07:49 PM
So, what are you guys drinking tonight?

yo123
09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
So, what are you guys drinking tonight?

Nothing. ******* Minnesota Sunday liquor laws.....

yo123
09-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Also **** you Tyrell Johnson. You could have basically ended the game if you would have held on to the ******* ball for the first time in your ******* life. I cannot believe you are still on this team.

djp
09-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Gentlemen, this team is not very good. Gonna be a long year I'm afraid. We might be 10 point underdogs to Detroit at home this week.

First half was a thing of beauty, crowd even gave the team a standing ovation as they went to half time. I go and grab a beer and we give up a touchdown and an onside kick by the time I get back to my seat.

The thing that bothers me the most is the brutal clock management. Good thing we sat on three timeouts once the Bucs got into field goal range. Frazier's answer? "I didn't take the timeouts because I thought the defense could hold" That's an awful reason, Leslie. They're already on the 15 yard line with 1:25 to go. Did you think they would lose track of time and run out the clock accidentally? Why not call your timeouts to at least give your offense more than 30 seconds? You didn't even use them. Stuff like that is just totally indefensible. You're an NFL head coach, learn how to manage the clock. It's not that hard.

djp
09-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I wish I were kidding, but I've honestly lost every ounce of confidence I had in Leslie Frazier being a decent coach. This article makes him sound insanely idiotic.

http://t.co/fcGdSZU7

vikes_28
09-18-2011, 11:02 PM
I wish I were kidding, but I've honestly lost every ounce of confidence I had in Leslie Frazier being a decent coach. This article makes him sound insanely idiotic.

http://t.co/fcGdSZU7

Does anyone think he will make it through the season? I know he's only coached two games as "head coach." But damn. This is going to be a long, ****** season if the vikes don't start winning games.

marshallb
09-19-2011, 01:50 PM
So, I'm trying to look for the good in things so far, and this is some of what came to me:

We've played great in the first half...Adrian Peterson is a beast and needs even more touches, it's hurt his touches that we haven't ran many plays in the second half...Our secondary looked very good in the first half with Chris Cook, but he got hurt(groin) late in the first half and Asher Allen got tore to pieces by Preston Parker(seriously who the **** is that???), but we held Mike Williams to one catch for -4 yards and Benn to one catch for 25 yards(yes, it was a TD)...Jared Allen has been playing like a beast, and absolutely tore Donald Penn to pieces, he only had one sack but according to ESPN's stats had 3 QB hits and by my count had several more pressures...We haven't had Kevin Williams yet...Greenway is a stud and has been all over the place...Robison has looked solid, better last week though...Percy is explosive as hell and I like how we're trying to use him in many different ways, but need to continue that more in the second half...Jenkins has been on the same page with McNabb...Gerhart actually did something other than run into the line for 3 yards at most and get tackled...ST have been good...that's about all I can come up with and all I have time for, please add more if you can think of them.

yo123
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Well you're right there are a lot of good things, because we couldn't have dominated that first half any more. It really doesn't matter when it's just a question of how badly we're going to **** up the second half though.

O/U 600 yards for Stafford next week?

BuckNaked
09-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Jamarca Sanford has actually looked pretty good, but outside of stupid Tyrell Johnson/Asher Allen, I've been kind of impressed with the way our secondary has played considering I was expecting us to get airborne massacred week in and week out. Anybody actually been paying attention to how Erin Henderson has been playing? And has there been an exception of anybody on the offensive line actually playing well or is it just ineptitude all around? It's hard to tell with this ****** video quality I'm getting on my computer.

gpngc
09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
WTF is this about?

According to Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN, Percy Harvin played only 30-of-68 offensive snaps in Week 2.
Pelissero "calculated it twice because I didn't believe it." It's a 44.1 snap percentage, which is in fact down from Harvin's 62.8% (27-of-43) in Week 1. As Pelissero points out, Harvin was not involved in the red-zone package, which obviously hurts his touchdown potential. His lengthy absences are also killing Minnesota's offense with Michael Jenkins and Bernard Berrian incapable of getting open outside. Harvin did touch the ball nine times in Week 2, but he's a lot riskier option than meets the eye. The Vikings have some serious self evaluation to do. Harvin is their only offensive threat aside from Adrian Peterson, and a good coaching staff would be sure to use him as an every-down player.

yo123
09-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Between that and not letting him return kickoffs all the time the new coaching staff is somehow using him even worse than Childress. Sweet.

marshallb
09-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Between that and not letting him return kickoffs all the time the new coaching staff is somehow using him even worse than Childress. Sweet.

To be honest, I've liked how they've tried to get him involved in different ways, out of the backfield, on screens, etc., they just haven't done nearly enough of it.

yo123
09-20-2011, 12:12 AM
They've given him the ball, but not having him on the field that much is inexcusable. Even if you're not going to give him the ball you need threats on the field.

wogitalia
09-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Playing him that little and giving him that many touches is even worse, other teams will be keying on him, basically when he is on the field it is going to him.

We are just awful though... I'm torn this week because I'm totally on the Lions bandwagon this year because I like their team and I really don't like our team, it's not just that we are awful, I genuinely dislike most of our players as well...

So what teams with playoff potential are everyone else supporting?

Because lets be honest... Vikes discussion makes me a sad panda.

marshallb
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Tyrell Johnson arrested on fourth degree DWI charge (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_safety_Tyrell_Johnson_arrested_on_fourthde gree_DWI_charge092011).

Can we just cut his ass already?

Crazy_Chris
09-20-2011, 01:16 PM
I hope the Vikings cut that scrub immediatley, but don't think it will happen. For some reason they have kept holding onto that guy even though he is a complete bust.

Vikes99ej
09-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Can we cut this idiot yet?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/130194223.html

marshallb
09-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Doesn't look like we're going to get our wish:

Tom Pelissero
Frazier on Tyrell Johnson: "We're going to handle it internally."

...and...

Tom Pelissero
Frazier: "It's always disappointing when guys fall short in different areas. ... But it happens." Plan is for Johnson to play on Sunday.

yo123
09-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Someone said on twitter that this is the first time Detroit has been favored in Minnesota in 30 years. Good time to be a Minnesota sports fan right now.