PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18

General Zod
09-21-2011, 04:40 PM
What makes it even worse for the last two games is, despite our lousy passing game, O-line and secondary. Take out the last 2 minutes of both games and we are 2-0 right now.

vikes_28
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I feel terrible for picking against my team at work...

marshallb
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Chris Kluwe is absolutely amazing (http://lockerz.com/s/140947305)

General Zod
09-25-2011, 06:28 PM
And I know he's not liked by some because he is injury prone, but Sidney Rice had a 100 yd day today for the Hawks. But thats ok Vikes orginization, we have Beatrice Berrian, Michael Jenkins, and Percy(keep him on the sidelines)Harvin.

the_legend_killer
09-25-2011, 08:27 PM
This team is turning me into this guy:

http://ohiopresspass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/RandyQuaidXOut.jpg

russie
09-26-2011, 04:04 PM
vikes are taking a look at max starks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/26/vikings-taking-a-look-at-max-starks/

The_Dude
09-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Guys, i don't see this changing anytime soon. We are getting out coached, plain and simple. McNabb isn't doing anything to help either, but it is obvious that we cannot match other teams' adjustments. We just **** the bed week after week.

Can we please have a 24 point lead to piss away in the 2nd half next week? That would be awesome.

Actually, what would be the most awesome is us sucking so bad that we "earn" the #1 pick, only to pass on Luck because we drafted ponder so damn high.

edit: i was pessemistic from the start, but this is going to end up being a much longer season than i expected....

wogitalia
09-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Actually, what would be the most awesome is us sucking so bad that we "earn" the #1 pick, only to pass on Luck because we drafted ponder so damn high.

Lol... the best part is we will pass on an OL again as well. You just can't win in this league if you don't pay any attention to the OL, having one guy who was elite a couple of years ago can't make up for 3 guys that are awful and 1 guy that is alright in run blocking.

Honestly... in a passing league, with rule changes every year putting more of an emphasis on passing, we have basically ignored the QB, OL and secondary for the last 5 years so we can take a gadget WR, backup QB and god only knows how many DEs...

I mean seriously, how can we get the draft so wrong, so often... It's like we hired Matt freaking Millen after we drafted Rice and Peterson, that's how bad our drafts have been! You could legitimately argue that Erin Henderson is the best player we've drafted since Rice. Especially given we see Harvin as the most explosive bench warmer in the league!

vikes_28
09-28-2011, 07:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8229fe0c/article/vikings-rb-peterson-isnt-biting-when-asked-about-lack-of-use

Vikings RB Peterson isn't biting when asked about lack of use

Adrian Peterson is in the spotlight this week for being the rare kind of playmaker who doesn't get enough plays called for him.

Questions about his lack of use by the 0-3 Vikings are clearly uncomfortable for the running back, who risks undermining his coaching staff by saying what everyone else already knows.

Peterson was a guest on "The Rich Eisen Podcast" this week, where he proved to be an honor student in the pro athlete school of saying-something-without-saying-anything-at-all.

"When I look at the film, I can look at it and say, 'You know, I feel like we should have ran the ball in this situation, but then again, we had a good play here,'" Peterson said. "We didn't execute."

But what about the fact that your father said Monday you were "frustrated" with your role in Minnesota's 26-23 overtime loss to the Detroit Lions?

"Yeah, he was accurate," Peterson said. "I'm sure there was 52 other guys that were frustrated just walking off the field."

We're telling you, this guy's good. After some talk about Peterson's charity endeavor, “Football for Good,” Eisen went back to the workload issue. Peterson still wasn't biting.

Eisen: "Your nickname has not been changed to half a day, correct?"

(extended pause)

Peterson: "That's correct."

Eisen: "You want me to text (Vikings coach Leslie Frazier)?"

(longer pause)

Peterson: "Oh man ... you know what? We're going to get things turned around, trust me."

Well played, All Day. Well played.

gotta love AD.

eltwentyone
09-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Awww jeeez, this is really pathetic cmooon

Vikings coaches are "pleased" with Bernard Berrian and are "trying" to get him more involved in the offense.
Yikes. Berrian has one reception on 10 targets and 132 snaps this season. The alleged deep threat has averaged a scant 10.56 yards per catch since the beginning of the 2009 season. This Vikings coaching staff has been the most overmatched in the league through three weeks, and Bill Musgrave is the primary culprit. Early signs suggest he can't figure out how to maximize his personnel or make in-game adjustments.

Crazy_Chris
09-30-2011, 09:37 AM
They should be more concerned about getting Harvin more involved in the passing attack, aswell as the 2 TEs... Musgrave is a big dissappointment so far.

marshallb
10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Well, this is just great news...

Tom Pelissero
Leslie Frazier said #Vikings coaches need to "reevaluate everything" but dismissed the idea of starting Christian Ponder at QB next week.

General Zod
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
It makes me sick to watch how good Sidney Rice is at times. But hey, at least we have Beatrice Berrian....

marshallb
10-02-2011, 04:44 PM
It makes me sick to watch how good Sidney Rice is at times. But hey, at least we have Beatrice Berrian....

Hey now, Berrian made a nice catch on that 4th and 18...yea, one catch on six(yes, 6!) targets according to ESPN.com...I don't know what anyone in the organization sees in him, it's just so sad. On the season, he has 2 catches for 37 yards on 16 targets according to ESPN (for comparison Aromashodu has 2 catches for 39 yards on only 6 targets), that is so bad it's not even funny; now some of that has to be placed on McNabb's terrible accuracy, but still, come on...

FuzzyGopher
10-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Ponder would get murdered behind this line, it's probably better for McNabb to start until late in the season and let him take all the punishment. Let Ponder start fresh next year with Kalil blocking for him.

Vikes99ej
10-02-2011, 07:53 PM
I saw 50-50 today instead of watching the Vikings game. I'm happy with my choice.

wogitalia
10-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Yeah I see no point in playing Ponder for a couple of reasons.

1. He will get killed out there, our line seems to think that QB hits are like points, the more you get the better...

2. He can only diminish his value by playing, right now he is an unknown commodity, put him out behind an awful line with no targets and you turn him into Jimmy Clausen, who is worth just about nothing after Carolina gets the #1 pick.

So basically we are better keeping him on the pine and healthy and when we win the Luck sweepstakes we at least have some trade value with him. If we don't win the sweepstakes maybe we can get him a WR or LT or something in the draft with our top 3 pick.

There is only one reason to play Ponder now and that is that he is even less likely to win games than McNabb and lets be honest, we aren't any good anyway so we really don't need to start tanking.

The saddest parts is we have one of the easiest schedules going around and are still no good... If we can't win the Reid Rejects battle next week we might not win a game this year!

Vikes99ej
10-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I can't believe people are already throwing Ponder away for this Luck sweepstakes. I love Luck, but c'mon people. Ponder has not taken a single step on the field. Let's get a WR, OT or CB with the first.

yo123
10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Hey now, Berrian made a nice catch on that 4th and 18...yea, one catch on six(yes, 6!) targets according to ESPN.com...I don't know what anyone in the organization sees in him, it's just so sad. On the season, he has 2 catches for 37 yards on 16 targets according to ESPN (for comparison Aromashodu has 2 catches for 39 yards on only 6 targets), that is so bad it's not even funny; now some of that has to be placed on McNabb's terrible accuracy, but still, come on...

Not only is Berrian completely useless on the field but the things he's doing off the field just should remove any doubt he needs to be cut. Blaming everyone but himself, completely calling out McNabb even if he's not directly saying his name. And now he's having a mini twitter meltdown.

J-Mike88
10-02-2011, 09:29 PM
I can't believe people are already throwing Ponder away for this Luck sweepstakes. I love Luck, but c'mon people. Ponder has not taken a single step on the field. Let's get a WR, OT or CB with the first.
It's not as bad as Rams fans throwing Bradford away for the Luck Sweepstakes.

I picked the Vikings today for some reason.

jimmylishis
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM
At what point does everyone think we should start Ponder?

wogitalia
10-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Not sure if serious. We reached on Ponder, best case we reached and he actually becomes something but he isn't half the prospect that Luck is and you couldn't not take Luck because of him, especially given he showed very little in the preseason, against backups no less.

We'd be in the same basic position as where the Panthers were last year, we have a young QB that we drafted the year before who so far has shown that he is more likely to be a bust than a star, obviously that could all change when/if he gets a chance on the field but you just can't not take a franchise QB when one pops up if you have that chance.

russie
10-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Not sure if serious. We reached on Ponder, best case we reached and he actually becomes something but he isn't half the prospect that Luck is and you couldn't not take Luck because of him, especially given he showed very little in the preseason, against backups no less.

We'd be in the same basic position as where the Panthers were last year, we have a young QB that we drafted the year before who so far has shown that he is more likely to be a bust than a star, obviously that could all change when/if he gets a chance on the field but you just can't not take a franchise QB when one pops up if you have that chance.

quoted for truth

The Dynasty
10-04-2011, 10:17 AM

But the only issue with that is, we haven't given Ponder a true shot. Until we do that, and if he fails like Clausen then Im all for Luck but Until we see what Ponder can do in the NFL, we can't throw him under the bus yet. We need to see what he can do. Clausen got playing time and got worse over those games, if the same happens with Ponder, then Luck here we come. But if he does play well, We need a LT no doubt. We also need a Tall Receiver for who ever our QB is. Someone reliable because what we have know is terrible other than Percy and maybe Jenkins for the time being.

marshallb
10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
At what point does everyone think we should start Ponder?

Now. As sad as it is, it has to do with more than just winning this season or helping develop Ponder. The team is in the last year of its lease at the Metrodome and needs to get a new stadium built. It's going to be hard enough for them to get a stadium built with the condition that the state government and budget is in, but it will be damn near impossible if the team starts to rack up blackouts from not selling out games, and the way it sounds, the team could possibly be in trouble on that front this week as from the last I heard, they were selling tickets, but still have a ways to go: Tom Pelissero
#Vikings have been moving tickets for Sunday's game after all. Per team VP Steve LaCroix, only 2,500 remain -- down from 6,500 a week ago.
When you have to sell tickets, there are only a couple of things that gets asses in seats, one of those and the easiest to sell is a winning team, the Vikings are obviously not that. The next best thing to try to sell is HOPE, and that comes with playing your 1st round, 12th overall draft pick, the guy that has been deemed your franchise QB. Not with starting a 34 year old QB who is on a one year deal and hasn't gotten the job done so far. Yes, McNabb isn't the whole problem, but he absolutely has been a fairly decent sized part of the problem. If you don't give the fans a reason to come to games, the team can kiss any chance at getting a new stadium built in Minnesota goodbye, especially when that chance is already limited, and that has to be one of the most important things to the franchise.

On top of that, Ponder was considered to be one of, if not, the most pro ready QBs in the draft. It would be different if he were considered to be a several year project like T-Jack was when we drafted him. We definitely don't have the o-line that you'd like to put a rookie QB behind, but we have weapons to assist him, and maybe by playing Ponder they would actually put together a gameplan that features our weapons, giving Peterson, Harvin, and the TEs the ball as much as they actually should, and limiting Berrian's involvement: Bernard Berrian: We nominated Nolan Carroll as the worst player in the league through two weeks. At the quarter-pole, it's time to give Berrian the nod. This season, Berrian's been thrown 16 passes. He's caught two of them. Two. That's an unreal catch rate of 12.5 percent, and it actually rose on Sunday, because he went 1-for-6 on targets. The average starting wideout is right around 58 percent over the past few years. The poor guy even had a 13-yard catch called back by an offensive hold this week. Put it this way. Through Week 4's action, Donovan McNabb has completed 59 percent of his passes and averaged 6.1 yards per attempt. If you cut out the passes to Berrian, McNabb's completing 66 percent of his passes and averaging 6.7 yards per attempt. Maybe the Vikings need to cut out the passes to Berrian. from grantland (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7052185/upon-initial-review-week-4).

vikes_28
10-04-2011, 05:21 PM
I would assume (only an assumption at this point), that Ponder will be starting by weeks 6 if McNabb doesn't win week 5. That would the the smart thing to do.

wogitalia
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
But the only issue with that is, we haven't given Ponder a true shot. Until we do that, and if he fails like Clausen then Im all for Luck but Until we see what Ponder can do in the NFL, we can't throw him under the bus yet. We need to see what he can do. Clausen got playing time and got worse over those games, if the same happens with Ponder, then Luck here we come. But if he does play well, We need a LT no doubt. We also need a Tall Receiver for who ever our QB is. Someone reliable because what we have know is terrible other than Percy and maybe Jenkins for the time being.

I have no problem with starting him other than that it is more likely to diminish his value in a trade. Lets be honest we are very similar to Carolina last year, good RB situation, awful OL(theirs was better than ours is), poor WR and so far very poor game planning. We would basically be putting a guy that comes in with a fragile sticker and question marks galore in a position to get crushed and fail, if he managed to succeed in that situation then it would be awesome but I personally think the likelihood isn't great that he will. The best value for QBs is reserved for the unknown, Kolb is a great example, they got a Kings ransom for him after show casing him in a good situation and not exposing him last year in a bad one(that was much better than ours!)

That's my biggest problem, Ponder showed me nothing in his college or preseason career to indicate he is ready to start in this situation and personally I think the best thing for his development would be at least a year on the sidelines. Getting hammered and throwing to spuds is not going to help him develop. I don't expect us to get the #1 pick, the Colts in particular are a truly special kind of awful, but if we did we should take Luck, he is just a flat out better prospect in every way to Ponder and there will be a team out there that will probably trade for Ponder as long as we haven't Clausened him.

I get the "hope" arguement as well but nothing would crush quicker than destroying hope, at least with Ponder on the bench we have that hope, throw him to the wolves and you could kill the last bit of hope we even have. We've spent 4 years building our current situation with stupid decisions and blunders, it's about time we actually start making some good football decisions.

Crazy_Chris
10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
Interesting, apparently Bernard Berrian is inactive for todays game, and he isn't injured that I know of.

FuzzyGopher
10-09-2011, 11:02 AM
His presence will surely be missed.

Crazy_Chris
10-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Yea the offense is really going to struggle today without him... lol!

FuzzyGopher
10-09-2011, 11:07 AM
I guess one of the pluses about Leslie Frazier is that he doesn't tolerate any ********.

djp
10-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I guess one of the pluses about Leslie Frazier is that he doesn't tolerate any ********.

Except horrible quarterback play, halftime adjustments, and he certainly does tolerate using his timeouts in the worst way possible.

FuzzyGopher
10-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Hey now, I'm trying to be optimistic. :)

General Zod
10-10-2011, 06:35 AM
Chris Cook is our best DB this season so far.

I cant be believe I said that seriously. lol

Cedric Griffin just doesnt seem to be the player he was. Ironically, Cook reminds me a Griffin when he first got drafted by us. Not very good his first year, and then steady improvement.

SolidGold
10-10-2011, 08:01 AM
You guys look pretty wise letting Edwards walk and keeping Robison.

marshallb
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Chris Cook is our best DB this season so far.

I cant be believe I said that seriously. lol

Cedric Griffin just doesnt seem to be the player he was. Ironically, Cook reminds me a Griffin when he first got drafted by us. Not very good his first year, and then steady improvement.

It's true. He's been damn good, looking like he did in preseason his rookie year before he tore his meniscus. I really kind of expected that from Griffin, he tore both of his ACLs in back to back years, pretty hard to come back from that and be the same player. I just really hope that Winfield gets back soon because God damn Asher Allen sucks ass and if I have to see slot receivers running free over the middle every week I swear I'm going to kill someone. He's so bad.

Robison has been amazing opposite Jared Allen. He always had looked solid as a situational pass rusher, but I didn't know if he could do it full time and then hold up against the run which he's done fairly well. It'd just be nice if we could get more of a push up the middle pass rushing wise. I'm tired of seeing Allen or Robison rush outside and force the QB to step up and have a nice pocket there to step up into or else a wide open lane to run. I understand that Kevin Williams probably isn't in great shape or playing at his peak yet having just came back from his suspension and dealing with a foot injury, but we really need someone to step up next to him, I don't care if it's Ayodele, Evans, Guion, Ballard, etc.

marshallb
10-10-2011, 09:44 PM
Like I pointed out in the gameday thread, everyone should read Tom Pelissero's work. He does a hell of a job on tape breakdowns, here's an excerpt from this week's that shows just how well the DE's have been playing:

Week after week, RE Jared Allen (63 snaps) and LE Brian Robison (62) find ways to top themselves. Allen beat LT Levi Brown for sacks in 3.0 and 2.5 seconds, torched Brown outside for another hit and finished with seven total pressures on QB Kevin Kolb. He also batted a pass, made his presence felt in the run game and recovered the fumble forced by Robison, who stripped Kolb in 2.6 seconds, got a cleanup sack in 3.8 and totaled seven pressures against fill-in RT Jeremy Bridges. Not even 24 chips and extra-man protection calls in 55 dropbacks (43.6%) or injuries could hold down Allen (poked in eye) and Robison (abdominal strain). The illegal use of hands penalty on Bridges that wiped out WR Early Doucet's 11-yard touchdown catch was a product of Robison's speed rush, too.

article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Vikings_win_over_t he_Cardinals101011)

Also from that same article to further evidence how well Cook has been playing:
Cook sank underneath to break one throw to the corner and didn't cede a completion longer than 7 yards all day

marshallb
10-18-2011, 01:00 PM
@JasonLaCanfora
Jason La Canfora
Vikings are changing QBs. Leslie Frazier has made the change and notified those involved. Christian Ponder takes over as starter

So glad to hear that. I really felt that there was a good chance Frazier would **** this up.

The Dynasty
10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
So glad to hear that. I really felt that there was a good chance Frazier would **** this up.

Im glad this is happening but I wish it would have waited another week and then start him after the bye week. First career start and you have to play the Reigning Super Bowl Champs that are 6-0... Tough spot to put him in.

vikes_28
10-18-2011, 05:23 PM
I wish it wouldn't have happened this week, honestly. I'd rather not see Christian Ponder running for dear life in his first NFL start. But who knows. He could totally shock and awe me :o

The Dynasty
10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I have been thinking this whole time that our bye was next week after the packers but when its actually 2 weeks away. So Now knowing that Im a little more happy that they did this now. Like Vikes said he could totally shock and awe us. All he has to do is really come and dont turn the ball over and manage the game and hand it off to AD.

marshallb
10-19-2011, 11:58 AM
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Loadholt questionable with knee. Sullivan working through concussion. Hutchinson has sore knee. Charlie Johnson has triceps again. Yikes.

Ouch. It's sad that out of our whole OL, the only starter who is "healthy" is Anthony Herrera and he is coming off of a torn ACL last year. It's a good thing Ponder can move back there, because he may be running for his life again this week and possibly for the rest of the year.

General Zod
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Well at very least, Im glad McNabb has takin the high road and said that he would help Ponder out in any way that he can now that he is the back up.

The Dynasty
10-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Well at very least, Im glad McNabb has takin the high road and said that he would help Ponder out in any way that he can now that he is the back up.

Yeah that's the good thing about McNabb, He is a true professional.

russie
10-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Chris Cook arrested for domestic assault

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 22, 2011, 10:37 AM EDT

Minnesota’s ugly 2011 season just got a little uglier.

Vikings cornerback Chris Cook was arrested for domestic assault on Saturday morning at 4:06 a.m. CT, as originally reported by KFAN in Minneapolis.

A public Hennepin County jail record confirms that a man named Chris Cook with the same birthday as the Vikings cornerback was arrested on two charges: domestic assault and intentional attempts to inflict bodily harm on another. Both charges are misdemeanors. He was arrested by the Eden Prarie Police Department.

Cook, who has quietly played well this year, is due back in Court Monday morning at 8:15 a.m. It remains to be seen if coach Leslie Frazier allows Cook to suit up in the meantime. Cook was also arrested and ultimately cleared on a gun charge last year.

The Vikings are already likely to be short their best cornerback Antoine Winfield, who is doubtful for the game.

UPDATE: Tom Pelissero of espn1500.com reports Cook could be detained in jail until his court hearing Monday.

UPDATE II: The Vikings confirmed the arrest via statement:

“The Minnesota Vikings are aware of the incident involving Chris Cook. We take this matter very seriously and are still gathering all the details of the incident. We will not have any further comment at this time.”

Crazy_Chris
10-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Thats just great, being without both Winfield & Cook against the packers is just what we need.

yo123
10-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Cook is such a thug. I have a feeling this is going to be a reoccurring thing with him.

marshallb
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Well ****, Cook was really playing well and I was hoping(still do) that he can become a good long term starter at CB for us, but he can't be getting in trouble with the law all the time. I'd like to hear the story and what all happened before I pass judgment on him and call him a thug(he was acquitted on the previous case), but it sure is seeming like that's what he is.

FuzzyGopher
10-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Rodgers will have 3 TDs by the end of the first quarter.

Heisman
10-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Rodgers will have 3 TDs by the end of the first quarter.

Knowing the Vikings we will play them close first half, but he will come out and set the record for second half TD's

tombau
10-24-2011, 11:53 AM
On Christian Ponder:

Even when Donovan McNabb was at his worst and his passes were nearly indistinguishable from celebratory end zone spikes, I gave Leslie Frazier the benefit of the doubt. Word on the street (okay, Twitter) was that Christian Ponder was just nowhere near ready to play in an NFL game. If that's the case, whenever he is ready to play in an NFL game, he's going to be a beast. Ponder makes plays. His numbers on the day weren't good, but there were all kinds of flashes of potential. He's athletic, he's accurate, he's got good instincts, and he moves the chains. The Vikings have no business being in a competitive game against the Packers, but there they were. I'm excited about Christian Ponder.

from

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner?author=MJD

marshallb
10-25-2011, 11:58 AM
Hallelujah!!!! Bernard Berrian has been released:
@JasonLaCanfora
Jason La Canfora
Vikings have released WR Bernard Berrian, a move that was expected. He's been inactive lately and having some issues with the staff

marshallb
10-25-2011, 12:27 PM
More news on Chris Cook:
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Oh boy ... RT @saraboyd: The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office has filed a felony domestic assault strangulation charge against Chris Cook.
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Assaulting a household member by strangulation is punishable by up to 3 years in prison and a $5,000 fine. bit.ly/t0pUoN
@espn_nfcnblog
ESPN Blogs NFC North
#Vikings CB Chris Cook charged with felony domestic strangulation. Complaint says he twice strangled girlfriend and then struck her in ear.

Vikes99ej
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Finally saw highlights from Sundays game. The stats don't tell the story about Ponder. Get him a decent OL so he doesn't have to scramble every other play. Our secondary on the other hand.. just absolutely disgraceful. There is no one on that unit I have any respect for. Just atrocious.

FuzzyGopher
10-25-2011, 01:45 PM
I'm no legal expert but that sounds like some serious **** Chris Cook is in.
In regards to the offensive line, hopefully we can draft a guy like Kalil which would allow us to move Charlie Johnson to guard where he belongs and also solve the LT problem, two birds with one stone. If we can find a decent FA then we have a pretty good start at fixing the o-line and minimizing the raping Ponder will take.

Babylon
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
I'm no legal expert but that sounds like some serious **** Chris Cook is in.
In regards to the offensive line, hopefully we can draft a guy like Kalil which would allow us to move Charlie Johnson to guard where he belongs and also solve the LT problem, two birds with one stone. If we can find a decent FA then we have a pretty good start at fixing the o-line and minimizing the raping Ponder will take.

Better not win too many more games if you want Kalil because he is probably going to one those Ofer teams, especially the Rams.

Crazy_Chris
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Glad to wash our hands of Bernard, he was wasting a roster spot. . . Also from what I have read, it doesn't sound good for Cook. If it's all true then he is definatly one worthless POS.

djp
10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Anyone else thinking the shortest road back to an NFC championship is to blow it up? If the stadium bill gets passed, let's build for that year instead of trying to go 8-8. Avoid the free agent market for anything other than one or two year deals and start accumulating talent. We are, in my opinion, in the worst possible spot for an NFL franchise (especially with the rookie wage scale). Enough talent here to stay out of the top 8, not enough talent to ever be considered a serious threat.

russie
10-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Vikings suspend Chris Cook indefinitely without pay

Posted by Mike Florio on October 25, 2011, 11:15 PM EDT

Getty Images
The rough week of Vikings defensive back Chris Cook has gotten a little rougher.

Released from jail on bail after being arrested for domestic assault over the weekend (which caused him to miss Sunday’s game against the Packers), Cook now faces the loss of his job. Possibly.

Until the Vikings decide what to do with Cook, the team has suspended him without pay. The team announced the decision on Tuesday night, calling the allegations against Cook “very disturbing and disappointing.”

Cook allegedly choked his girlfriend after learning she had talked to an ex-boyfriend. Cook has proclaimed his innocence on Twitter.

Under the CBA, player may be suspended up to four games without pay for conduct detrimental to the team. Though off-duty behavior typically falls under the auspices of the NFL’s personal conduct policy, Cook’s brush with the law left him unavailable to do his job on Sunday, which clearly was detrimental to his team.

The Vikings also would likely be within their rights to cut Cook. Still, a suspension without pay extending beyond four games could give rise to a fight under the plain terms of the labor deal.

Cook joined the team via the top of round two in 2010, after the Vikings traded out of the bottom of round one with the Lions, who used the pick to take tailback Jahvid Best.

FuzzyGopher
10-26-2011, 01:32 PM
This is why I laugh when people overlook character concerns in a prospect. We spent a high pick on Cook and had high expectations for him, he was drafted to be a starter on the outside and eventually take over for Winfield and cover #1 receivers. Now because he is a god damn **** stick we have a massive void at corner in the short-term and quite possibly the long-term if he gets cut because of this.

I know he had some academic issues in college and was suspended for a year at UVA because of those issues. He said he learned from it and would change blah, blah blah. Then he goes to the NFL and gets arrested for pulling a gun on someone but escapes any punishment and says it was a misunderstanding/blown out proportion and he learned from it and it won't happen again.

He finally starts to show some promise and puts on some damn good performances against 2 of the leagues elite receivers keeping them in check. Hooray, everything is going great, it appears he's got his **** together and he's playing well. So what does he do? He ***** it allll up by rape choking his girlfriend, punching her in the head and getting tossed in the pokey for felony assault. Thanks for the memories you piece of ****.

/excessive rant over

General Zod
11-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Antoine Winfield has broken clavicle, likely out for season.

vikes_28
11-15-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't see him on the team next year. the last 3 years he has been in and out with injuries. We can't get consistent play out of him anymore. Although, when he's in he's the only bright spot in our secondary.

marshallb
11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Sounds like the Vikings are going to bring back Benny Sapp to fill Winfield's roster spot. I always liked Benny as long as he kept his cool, but he's 30 years old and we're not going anywhere. Frazier always loved the guy though, so that explains the move 100%.

djp
11-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't see him on the team next year. the last 3 years he has been in and out with injuries. We can't get consistent play out of him anymore. Although, when he's in he's the only bright spot in our secondary.

He will be restructured or released. That's the way the NFL works now. I love the guy, but he can't be making $7.25 million with his production these days.

prock
11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Bennnyyyyy Sapp! Love that guy.

vikes_28
11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
So our secondary the rest of this year is Sherels, Griffin, Sapp, Abdullah, and Sanford...

:/

Start your fantasy QB's against us the rest of the year!!!

marshallb
11-16-2011, 11:30 PM
So our secondary the rest of this year is Sherels, Griffin, Sapp, Abdullah, and Sanford...

:/

Start your fantasy QB's against us the rest of the year!!!

You forgot Asher Allen and Tyrell Johnson! They make things SOOOOOO much better...

vikes_28
11-17-2011, 01:49 AM
You forgot Asher Allen and Tyrell Johnson! They make things SOOOOOO much better...

OOOoooOOOHHHHHH shittttttt, we are going to dominate, nevermind what i said earlier.

(obviously they aren't important enough to remember...)

yo123
11-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Wow. Brees is going to throw for 800 yards against us in a couple weeks.

That said I concur with prock on Benny Sapp. I was surprised he never really fit in with Miami, he was a solid nickel back here. His attitude works against him at times with some personal fouls but it's also what makes him productive. He doesn't back down from anyone. If nothing else he'll be better than the Frank Walker experiment last year.

wogitalia
11-17-2011, 02:40 AM
At least Sapp looks like he is trying...

That is about as nice a thing as you can say about our secondary.

Also, you will not talk bad about Tyrell Johnson, he is one of the best Madden Special Teamers alive! That is his one redeeming trait as a footballer!

yo123
11-17-2011, 02:44 AM
In all seriousness Tyrell Johnson is honestly the worst safety I've seen in the NFL, and I wish I was just saying that because I have seen so much of him. Does anyone remember anything positive he's done in his entire career? Why is he not bagging my groceries right now? I just don't understand this league sometimes.

marshallb
11-17-2011, 12:03 PM
In all seriousness Tyrell Johnson is honestly the worst safety I've seen in the NFL, and I wish I was just saying that because I have seen so much of him. Does anyone remember anything positive he's done in his entire career? Why is he not bagging my groceries right now? I just don't understand this league sometimes.

I'm with you 100%. He hasn't done anything well at all, and he can't play special teams at all, unlike in Madden where I guess he's a stud ST, haha. He offers nothing positive. I'm guessing that he's still around because somebody still thinks that because of the fact that he was a 2nd round pick, he's still got some upside, but the only upside that he may have is that he may at some point in his career take a right angle or have the QB throw the ball right to him and not drop it, but honestly I'm not even sure if that will ever happen, he hasn't shown the potential for it yet.

Crazy_Chris
11-17-2011, 12:05 PM

Tyrell has done plenty of good things, he's been helping people score touchdowns for years now.

prock
11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Would it be blasphemous to put Kevin Williams on the trade block in the forum mock?

the_legend_killer
11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
I don't think so. Especially if someone out there still holds him in really high regard.

prock
11-18-2011, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I kinda want to pick again in the second round. I need offensive line help. And I already drafted Jerel Worthy, so I'm not leaving the d-line is TOO bad of shape at least.

marshallb
11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Peterson has a high ankle sprain (http://twitter.com/#!/1500ESPN/status/138688985169014784):

@1500ESPN
1500 ESPN
Adrian Peterson has high ankle sprain, doubtful for Vikings' next game #Vikings

The Dynasty
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
We shouldn't play him until he is fully healthy obviously. The season is over. Time to see what we have as back ups and focus on the draft.

jimmylishis
11-21-2011, 03:23 PM
This probably means that we'll actually do bad enough to get Kalil

marshallb
11-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Great article about Frazier by Tom Pelissero (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Misguided_desperation_not_helping_Leslie _Frazier_or_Vikings112711) I know I've said this before, but every Vikings fan should read Pelissero's articles, he puts in great effort and puts out great articles all the time, and probably best of all isn't afraid to call guys out as he does in this article.

eltwentyone
11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Great article about Frazier by Tom Pelissero (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Misguided_desperation_not_helping_Leslie _Frazier_or_Vikings112711) I know I've said this before, but every Vikings fan should read Pelissero's articles, he puts in great effort and puts out great articles all the time, and probably best of all isn't afraid to call guys out as he does in this article.

lol I just read it, he went in with that ether. All of its true, I will give him one more season, but Iam pretty impatient, I don't know what the problem is honestly, who do we fire, what do we do, too man questions

The Dynasty
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
lol I just read it, he went in with that ether. All of its true, I will give him one more season, but Iam pretty impatient, I don't know what the problem is honestly, who do we fire, what do we do, too man questions

Yeah I agree with giving him one more year but Musgrave's offense needs to start producing a lot more. I realize our receiving core is horrible except for Harvin, but the play calling sometimes has me scratching my head. The Defense looks about the same to me to be honest. Secondary is the biggest eye sore and our Linebackers doing pretty well and Jared Allen carrying our D-Line. Im just really curious to see what we do with the draft and off season. There are some big name WR's in the free agency class this year so I'm curious to see if we bring one in or do we build from the draft and take Blackmon/Jeffery.

eltwentyone
11-29-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah I agree with giving him one more year but Musgrave's offense needs to start producing a lot more. I realize our receiving core is horrible except for Harvin, but the play calling sometimes has me scratching my head. The Defense looks about the same to me to be honest. Secondary is the biggest eye sore and our Linebackers doing pretty well and Jared Allen carrying our D-Line. Im just really curious to see what we do with the draft and off season. There are some big name WR's in the free agency class this year so I'm curious to see if we bring one in or do we build from the draft and take Blackmon/Jeffery.

I read the game tape on espn 1500, I just feel that we have to fire frazier and clean house, wayy to many holes, everywhere, Continuity is not our friend here, we need a new face, new culture, Chilly might have rubbed on off Frazier, plugging in veterans, Mcnabb, Sapp, etc. instead of developing our players, everson griffin and ballard should get more playing time. This whole organization is a mess atm, I mean not challenging that call, communication problems last game, not good. Frazier has messed up twice on the big stage. We have to hit home next draft, If i don't see any progress from the first 4 games next year, they should fire him lol. I know Wilf gonna have to pay up. next year I am expecting a Bengal type of performance, no excuses.

vikes_28
11-29-2011, 12:31 PM
I read the game tape on espn 1500, I just feel that we have to fire frazier and clean house, wayy to many holes, everywhere, Continuity is not our friend here, we need a new face, new culture, Chilly might have rubbed on off Frazier, plugging in veterans, Mcnabb, Sapp, etc. instead of developing our players, everson griffin and ballard should get more playing time. This whole organization is a mess atm, I mean not challenging that call, communication problems last game, not good. Frazier has messed up twice on the big stage. We have to hit home next draft, If i don't see any progress from the first 4 games next year, they should fire him lol. I know Wilf gonna have to pay up. next year I am expecting a Bengal type of performance, no excuses.

The only thing I'd be concerned with cleaning houses is, if the new coach doesn't like Ponder and what he's doing or how he is with his progress. I do feel like Pelissero is right, at this point in the season we should be resting our studs and not get them injured or tired out. Let the rookies finish out the season so they can get some much needed experience. I definitely agree with him there. However, I do not want to clean house yet.

eltwentyone
11-29-2011, 04:39 PM
The only thing I'd be concerned with cleaning houses is, if the new coach doesn't like Ponder and what he's doing or how he is with his progress. I do feel like Pelissero is right, at this point in the season we should be resting our studs and not get them injured or tired out. Let the rookies finish out the season so they can get some much needed experience. I definitely agree with him there. However, I do not want to clean house yet.

Who doenst like Ponder, if the regime comes from a west coast offense, should be fine, but I see your point, I get a feeling therse a lot of dead weight, we got to something about it, like I said, I would clean house next year 4 games in the season, if we play like this. I am just feelin numb at the moment, no excitement no nuthin

FuzzyGopher
11-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Tyrell Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Cullen Loeffler and Husain Abdullah to IR. Giddy up.

vikes_28
11-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Tyrell Johnson, Michael Jenkins, Cullen Loeffler and Husain Abdullah to IR. Giddy up.

Not good

Makes a bad season even worse to have our kicking game be hurt. I really hope that the vikes bring in a long snapper so Jared Allen doesn't risk his neck long snapping. Let's keep our studs healthy. Michael Jenkins wasn't anything to write home about, but WR is one of our biggest weakspots this year....

Ugh. This season is worst than last year!

marshallb
11-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Here are some more Vikings moves:
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
#Vikings have signed long snapper Matt Katula, per his agent.

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
#Vikings have signed Matt Katula as previously reported. They also re-signed WR Stephen Burton and signed S Jarrad Page and S Andrew Sendejo

eltwentyone
11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Sidney Rice on injured reserve due to confessions, kinda sad, what a waste of talent on such a fragile bodu

vikes_28
11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Sidney Rice on injured reserve due to confessions, kinda sad, what a waste of talent on such a fragile bodu

I knew he wasn't going to make it through the season.

BuckNaked
11-30-2011, 07:49 PM

That's why I never confess, always bottle everything up.

eltwentyone
11-30-2011, 07:56 PM

awww heell noo did i write confessions instead of concussions, man i need more sleep haha

marshallb
12-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Haha. I was like what the hell, why would he go on IR because he confessed to something? Sadly though, this hurts the Vikings in what we will get for him in compensatory picks.

marshallb
12-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Vikings to waive McNabb after agent's request (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Reports_Vikings_to_waive_Donovan_McNabb_after_agen ts_request120111)

FuzzyGopher
12-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the memory. Yes, singular.

marshallb
12-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Oh come on now, I've got plenty of memories of him throwing passes at the feet of his receivers.

FuzzyGopher
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
My favorite McNabb play was when he checked out of a run in San Diego and threw a pick as his first pass in purple. After that I stopped giving a ****.

eltwentyone
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
where is Mcnugget goin

marshallb
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
My favorite McNabb play was when he checked out of a run in San Diego and threw a pick as his first pass in purple. After that I stopped giving a ****.

My favorite McNabb play was when he tried throwing a screen pass to Harvin and it bounced halfway there.

Also, this made me chuckle(the AD part):
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Donovan McNabb's last two acts in front of reporters: getting an autograph from Adrian Peterson and rejecting an interview request from Sid.

FuzzyGopher
12-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Aj2CeBcs9uo

Crazy_Chris
12-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Vikes Claim Sage Rosenfels off waivers...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Minnesota-Vikings-claim-Sage-Rosenfels-off-waivers-120211

FlyingElvis
12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
. . . and nobody bothers to claim McNabb. Shocker! lol

vikes_28
12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Rosencopter Fuckya

marshallb
12-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Nothing new here, but God dammit our secondary is just atrocious:

@evansilva
Evan Silva
QBs vs #Vikings D over last 7 games: 146-205 (71.2%) for 1,808 yds (8.82 YPA), 18 TDs, 0 INTs. MIN has not intercepted a pass since Week 5.

I calculated that, and that is a 127.4 QB rating, I'm actually surprised it isn't higher given how terrible those numbers are.

Crazy_Chris
12-07-2011, 01:01 PM
That completion percentage & YPA are incredibly horrid...

Over/Under 200 yards for Calvin Johnson this week lol

The Dynasty
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
That completion percentage & YPA are incredibly horrid...

Over/Under 200 yards for Calvin Johnson this week lol

Im gonna say Under but barely but I can see this game turning out to be a game last last week. Ponder throwing for 300 yards or so and Stafford 300-400 yards.

djp
12-15-2011, 04:59 PM
http://landof10klosses.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/is-matt-kalil-really-what-the-vikings-need-a-look-at-super-bowl-left-tackles/

article I wrote piggybacking on the left tackle debate discussed on SWDC as it relates to the Vikings and Matt Kalil vs Morris Claiborne. Let me know what you guys think. Our facebook page needs some likes as well if you're interested in that.

http://www.facebook.com/landof10klosses

The Dynasty
12-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Matt Kalil declared according to Mort tonight.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7358275/sources-usc-trojans-matt-kalil-enter-2012-nfl-draft

I say we have to go with him. As much as our secondary is an eye sore, we need to protect our future and that is Christian Ponder and we need a line that will open holes for Adrian Peterson. I feel like we need to go Kalil if he is available where we pick. Obviously at 2 he will be but I'm very concerned we end up beating the Bears at the end of the year or the Redskins next week. I just think we can find CB/WR help in the later rounds.

djp
12-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Either way, truly, is fine. I just think Morris Claiborne is a better prospect. Absolutely love the guy. We just need talent at this point. It'd be nice to move down, and that's more of a possibility now with the new CBA. I'd love to get a '13 first rounder and '12 2nd rounder and move back 10-12 spots.

The Dynasty
12-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Either way, truly, is fine. I just think Morris Claiborne is a better prospect. Absolutely love the guy. We just need talent at this point. It'd be nice to move down, and that's more of a possibility now with the new CBA. I'd love to get a '13 first rounder and '12 2nd rounder and move back 10-12 spots.

Yeah it would be nice to get a legit shut down Cornerback because the receivers we have in our division we need one. I think we can't go wrong with either of the 2. But I agree with you that it would be nice to slide down in the draft and pick up draft picks. Take a play out of the Patriots Draft Playbook.

djp
12-15-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Dysfunction_on_defense_has_Vikings_ripe_ for_major_changes121511

Peliseero writes the Vikings are at least considering a switch to a 3-4 front. Thoughts?

eltwentyone
12-16-2011, 12:04 AM
not gonna happen, Leslie cant have a losing season next year, singletary can't run a defense, this team better lose out, so we can get khalil

The Dynasty
12-16-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_Dysfunction_on_defense_has_Vikings_ripe_ for_major_changes121511

Peliseero writes the Vikings are at least considering a switch to a 3-4 front. Thoughts?

So that would mean what for our defense now? Jared Allen and Brian Robison going out to OLB and Greenway and Henderson to MLB?.. and then what would our D Line look like.. DE's would be Chrstian Ballard and Kevin Williams? and we would need a NT lol. Our secondary would still suck too.

I would rather have it just stay the same way because currently we aren't built for a 3-4 in my opinion.

marshallb
12-16-2011, 12:56 AM
http://landof10klosses.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/is-matt-kalil-really-what-the-vikings-need-a-look-at-super-bowl-left-tackles/

article I wrote piggybacking on the left tackle debate discussed on SWDC as it relates to the Vikings and Matt Kalil vs Morris Claiborne. Let me know what you guys think. Our facebook page needs some likes as well if you're interested in that.

http://www.facebook.com/landof10klosses

I don't think you need an elite LT if you've got an elite QB, but I don't know that Ponder will ever be an elite QB, I think he'll be above average, but not elite, so we'll need guys to protect him and guys to build holes for the running game. I also disagree on Claiborne being a superior prospect to Kalil. IMO, for us it goes Kalil>Claiborne>>>Blackmon>OT(Reiff/Martin/Adams)/Floyd.

eltwentyone
12-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Sully has been signed to extension, 5 year 25 million,

Vikes99ej
12-17-2011, 06:06 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Center_John_Sullivan_agrees_to_fiveyear_extension_ with_the_Vikings121711

Did I miss something? Has Sullivan been having a good year?

Crazy_Chris
12-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Sullivan really stepped up his game this year. Glad they got him extended, hope he keeps playing this well.

marshallb
12-18-2011, 12:33 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Center_John_Sullivan_agrees_to_fiveyear_extension_ with_the_Vikings121711

Did I miss something? Has Sullivan been having a good year?

Since he stopped getting hurt every game right around week 5 he's been really solid, definitely didn't expect him to get that much though, but they wanted to get it done now to roll some of that cash onto the cap this year to open up more room for the future.

marshallb
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Cedric Griffin watching the entire game with a towel over his head, arms crossed. What a pro.

Yea, Griffin won't be back next year. When he's sitting behind Sapp, Sherels, and Burton that's most definitely not good.

marshallb
12-18-2011, 01:34 PM
I have no clue how we're only down by 8 and get the ball to start the second half. The offense has been beyond atrocious, and the defense has gotten torn to pieces. If the Saints didn't make those mistakes, we're getting blown out and it wouldn't even be close to being a game.

The Dynasty
12-18-2011, 02:11 PM
This whole game Ponder has looked scared out of his mind. He has been tucking down the ball so quick and not standing in there. Our Line is horrible for him and our receivers are just as bad.

Crazy_Chris
12-18-2011, 02:42 PM
Definatly not looking like the same Ponder, he is playing scared.

prock
12-18-2011, 04:01 PM
If the Vikings lose out and the Colts win one more game, who has the tiebreaker? Could we be looking at Andrew Luck? What do you think Ponder would go for on the open market?

marshallb
12-18-2011, 05:23 PM
If the Vikings lose out and the Colts win one more game, who has the tiebreaker? Could we be looking at Andrew Luck? What do you think Ponder would go for on the open market?

The Colts would have the tiebreaker due to SOS unless things change drastically over the final couple weeks. I don't see us looking at Luck, especially if Frazier is back. Ponder wouldn't go for nearly as much as Luck would go for. We could probably get a mid first rounder for him from the right team, or the equivalent of that, but if we traded Luck/the #1 pick we could get multiple first round picks, and multiple early picks(2nd/3rd), and probably more. It's all moot though as Indy would all but have to win out as they've got a fairly distinct advantage in the tiebreaker with a worse SOS, and that's not happening, and on top of that we could quite possibly win another game playing Washington and Chicago.

Why can't we just have more players like Jared Allen and Chad Greenway, Allen especially. There aren't enough guys in the league who aren't afraid to tell it how it is, and play all out despite the situation.

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Multiple #Vikings players indicating some teammates are playing scared. Jared Allen called out the team generally.

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Allen: "A lot of people are probably going to get fired at this point anyways. What are you going to lose? Go out, make plays and try to put

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
"... your best effort out there and win games. Sometimes, we get in a backpedal mode and just try to maintain so we don’t get beat too bad.

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
"... Screw that. Let’s just go win."

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Greenway: "We can’t go out there and say we should have won the game. We shouldn’t have. We are just not good enough."

Crazy_Chris
12-19-2011, 12:40 PM
AD said Jabari Greer was twisting his injured ankle...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/19/adrian-peterson-says-saints-went-too-far-taking-shots-at-his-ankle/

rchrd
12-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Also we've given up the most points in the NFL. Yay for this season :/

djp
12-20-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Zulgad_Paid_leave_for_Chris_Cook_wasnt_popular_mov e_in_locker_room122011

prock
12-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Suck for Luck! Suck for Luck!

russie
12-24-2011, 03:07 PM
big surprise, the vikes **** themselves again

Crazy_Chris
12-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Well now I suppose we need either the Rams or the Colts to win to have a chance at kalil.

wogitalia
12-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Peterson injury looks awful...

Can this season get any worse?

prock
12-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Don't ask, cuz it only will then.

marshallb
12-24-2011, 09:40 PM
Reportedly bad news on Peterson's knee:

@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Per an NFL source, an MRI has confirmed #Vikings RB Adrian Peterson has a torn ACL and MCL.

vikes_28
12-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Unbelievable. It was stupid that we were still playing him at this point in the season with the way it's been anyways. Frazier is a ******* idiot. I don't even care about the win. It's more a lose because our franchise player may NEVER bounce back from an injury like this. Toby Gerhart had proven that he could carry the load for many carries a game. Why the **** was Peterson in when we had no chance of making this season any better. ****. I hate Frazier already.

marshallb
12-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Unbelievable. It was stupid that we were still playing him at this point in the season with the way it's been anyways. Frazier is a ******* idiot. I don't even care about the win. It's more a lose because our franchise player may NEVER bounce back from an injury like this. Toby Gerhart had proven that he could carry the load for many carries a game. Why the **** was Peterson in when we had no chance of making this season any better. ****. I hate Frazier already.

Sorry, but you're not telling me that as long as Peterson was cleared by the trainers and that he felt good to go that anybody would keep him out of the game, whether you need him or not. There's a lot of things you can put on Frazier this year, but Adrian getting injured is not one of them. **** happens.

eltwentyone
12-24-2011, 10:24 PM
maan this is sad, Can he recover? Can he become old Adrian?

BuckNaked
12-25-2011, 12:11 PM
I just wanna cry

Crazy_Chris
12-25-2011, 02:24 PM
This is a very sad day...But this was bound to happen sooner or later. As those ***** defenders are too ******* weak to tackle AD like a real man so they all go low. It was only a matter of time until one of them took out one of his knees.

prock
12-25-2011, 05:14 PM

So you advocate benching your best player as soon as the playoffs are out of reach? What a terrible fan you are. Why would a coach bench his best player? You never intentionally lose a game and you don't bench your best players unless it's a blowout of a game. Peterson wanted to play, he was healthy. It's bad luck. Get over it.

yo123
12-25-2011, 07:00 PM
**** off LA, go find some other team that you'll end up losing again anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/25/vikings-closing-in-on-deal-for-new-stadium-in-minnesota/

marshallb
12-25-2011, 07:46 PM
**** off LA, go find some other team that you'll end up losing again anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/25/vikings-closing-in-on-deal-for-new-stadium-in-minnesota/

Man. I really needed that news. After us ******* up our draft position and Adrian getting hurt in a game that I didn't get to watch because I had to work yesterday, I really needed good news about the Vikings. I always thought they'd get something done, but there was always that concern in the back of my head especially with them pretty much shooting down the Arden Hills ammunition plant site.

marshallb
12-28-2011, 01:53 PM
@TomPelissero
Tom Pelissero
Frazier said he expects Steve Hutchinson to discuss his future with his family after the season. Hinted at possibility of retirement.

That would be an unexpected loss for us. Hutch has fallen off and is far from the same player he had been, but he's still a solid starter for the short term, and him retiring would give us another big need on the OL immediately. I think that the team sees Fusco as the future at one of the G spots, but I'm not sure that he's ready coming from Slippery Rock, and we need to replace Herrera already. I suppose if we get a LT that we can start from day one we could kick Johnson inside to one of the G spots and start Fusco at the other one, but that's really not ideal, at least IMO.

djp
12-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't think he was coming back either way. He's due way too much money.

marshallb
12-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't think he was coming back either way. He's due way too much money.

Really? Because I thought his contract was extremely front loaded, so we would be getting into the cheaper part of it, but I may be wrong on that.

Crazy_Chris
12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Really? Because I thought his contract was extremely front loaded, so we would be getting into the cheaper part of it, but I may be wrong on that.

Hutch is due about 7 Mil next year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/535/player?r=1

marshallb
12-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Hutch is due about 7 Mil next year.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/535/player?r=1

Hmmm...ok, I must have been thinking about someone else then. In that case, then yea, I'd have to guess he won't be back whether he retires or not.

One semi-related thing I noticed a little while back, but don't think I got around to posting it here, is that Antoine Winfield's contract next year is going to be significantly less costly(base salary went from about $7 mil to about $3 mil) due to a playing time clause in his contract. So it looks like he'll be back next year: article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Clause_triggered_in_Antoine_Winfields_contract_red ucing_2012_salary121211)

Crazy_Chris
01-01-2012, 06:59 PM
So the Rams already fired Spagnolo, he would be a great pickup as DC for the Vikes. Although I doubt it as I am sure Frazier is going to stick with the Cover 2.

Vikings4ever
01-01-2012, 11:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Photo-How-Adrian-Peterson-rang-in-the-New-Year?urn=nfl-wp15020

AD celebrating the New Year

General Zod
01-02-2012, 12:36 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Photo-How-Adrian-Peterson-rang-in-the-New-Year?urn=nfl-wp15020

AD celebrating the New Year

I love the guy. Injuries like the one he had will usually end an RB career. They may play again, but they are just not the same. If there is anybody that can defy those odds, Its my man AD.

The_Dude
01-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Spielman was promoted to General Manager today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/03/vikings-promote-rick-spielman-to-general-manager/

General Zod
01-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Spielman was promoted to General Manager today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/03/vikings-promote-rick-spielman-to-general-manager/

As usual Tom and Judd have a interesting insight about this move. Take a few mins and listen to the video thats on the link. Pretty good stuff.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_At_least_Vikings_know_who_to_blame_if_po wer_structure_flops010412

Crazy_Chris
01-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Apparently Rick Spielman assured Ponder that they wouldn't draft RG3.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/04/no-doubt-in-minnesota-christian-ponder-is-vikings-quarterback/

General Zod
01-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Apparently Rick Spielman assured Ponder that they wouldn't draft RG3.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/04/no-doubt-in-minnesota-christian-ponder-is-vikings-quarterback/

I love RG3 and all, but Id rather us go elsewhere with that pick.

The_Dude
01-04-2012, 07:49 PM
As usual Tom and Judd have a interesting insight about this move. Take a few mins and listen to the video thats on the link. Pretty good stuff.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_At_least_Vikings_know_who_to_blame_if_po wer_structure_flops010412

I wish that i had a job that would allow me to listen to the entire local 1500 schedule.

marshallb
01-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Good info on the Vikings contract situations. link (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Whos_under_contract_whos_not_as_Vikings_turn_the_p age_to_2012010412)

I wish that i had a job that would allow me to listen to the entire local 1500 schedule.

I don't get to listen to 1500 as it comes in really ****** here in SE MN, but if I want Vikings info, in particular but they do a great job with Twins, Wild, Wolves, and Gophers action as well, about the only place I go anymore is to 1500espn.com.

VikesWookie
01-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Hmmm...ok, I must have been thinking about someone else then. In that case, then yea, I'd have to guess he won't be back whether he retires or not.

One semi-related thing I noticed a little while back, but don't think I got around to posting it here, is that Antoine Winfield's contract next year is going to be significantly less costly(base salary went from about $7 mil to about $3 mil) due to a playing time clause in his contract. So it looks like he'll be back next year: article (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Clause_triggered_in_Antoine_Winfields_contract_red ucing_2012_salary121211)

Hutch's base salary is about 7M. His cap number adds about another 1.5M. So the cap penalty wouldn't be too much for the Vikes to part ways.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/steve-hutchinson/

marshallb
01-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Chad Greenway was added to the pro bowl roster (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Chad-Greenway-Selected-To-Pro-Bowl/a77c7980-910c-4ec0-bb2c-16e72e2d84fb) replacing Lance Briggs.

Crazy_Chris
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
LOL, they have been snubbing him for a couple of years. But, the one year he actually doesn't deserve the pro-bowl he ends up getting in as an alternate.

Burger
01-10-2012, 04:12 AM
I love our rivalry, and I want to see it again. Please draft well and get a new head coach.

eltwentyone
01-12-2012, 01:13 PM
WTF goin on, we got no defensive coordinater, I wanna go 3-4 meeein, We fooked

Vikings4ever
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM

We have no nose tackle. Our best player isn't a good fit for a 3-4 defense.

Trying to go 3-4 would be a disaster.

The_Dude
01-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Oh hell no. There is no way that we can convert our defense to a 3-4. It would be a complete disaster (or an even worse one) for several seasons.

I do want to be done with the Cover 2. It has been nothing but garbage. Go pay Spags a ****-ton of $ to get this defense right.

eltwentyone
01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
lol we are intersted in castillo from eagles, this is foooked, we got no dc

LonghornsLegend
01-12-2012, 10:50 PM
Maybe you guys can give more insight on it, but what was the deal with Singletary here? I keep reading all these reports, stuff about his hiring last year raising red flags with people. Was he a problem there, did a terrible job, what's the deal? Surprising that his name is popping up so much for a position coach.

marshallb
01-12-2012, 11:10 PM

First of all, settle down, the season has been over for all of a week and a half. There's plenty of time to sign a defensive coordinator. Second of all, as others have said, we are a terrible fit for the 3-4, and I don't understand the fascination of going to the 3-4. As more and more teams have gone to the 3-4 it has become increasingly harder to find the key pieces you need to run the 3-4, which we have pretty much none of(no NT, poor fits at OLB, and not much for 5 techs when you consider Kevin Williams has struggled with injuries and is gonna be 32).

LL, as far as Singletary goes, I'm not getting a good read on him. He's never been great with the Xs and Os, and really didn't care this season as our LB coach(he skipped out on team meetings after the team had traveled to Detroit to attend a wedding as well as other things).Yet, after all of that the team is still considering him for the DC job.

eltwentyone
01-12-2012, 11:32 PM
First of all, settle down, the season has been over for all of a week and a half. There's plenty of time to sign a defensive coordinator. Second of all, as others have said, we are a terrible fit for the 3-4, and I don't understand the fascination of going to the 3-4. As more and more teams have gone to the 3-4 it has become increasingly harder to find the key pieces you need to run the 3-4, which we have pretty much none of(no NT, poor fits at OLB, and not much for 5 techs when you consider Kevin Williams has struggled with injuries and is gonna be 32).

LL, as far as Singletary goes, I'm not getting a good read on him. He's never been great with the Xs and Os, and really didn't care this season as our LB coach(he skipped out on team meetings after the team had traveled to Detroit to attend a wedding as well as other things).Yet, after all of that the team is still considering him for the DC job.

jasper brinkley, greenway, Everson griffin, erid henderson, make good fits at 3-4, we need a nt no matter what, our roster is actually better at 3-4, And its not out of the question either

Vikings4ever
01-12-2012, 11:53 PM
jasper brinkley, greenway, Everson griffin, erid henderson, make good fits at 3-4, we need a nt no matter what, our roster is actually better at 3-4, And its not out of the question either

Jared Allen and Brian Robison are severely undersized to be 3-4 ends. Allen has the ability that he probably could transition to 3-4 OLB, but he's much better as a 4-3 end. Kevin Williams could play end (and has, when we experimented with the 3-4 a few years back), but he's getting older and has slowed down.

the_legend_killer
01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah, I'm all for staying 4-3.

marshallb
01-13-2012, 12:26 AM

Ok, so out of that we've got 3 ILB(which is the easiest part of the 3-4 to find), and one OLB who hasn't shown that he can be anything special, although he has shown flashes of great athleticism. Our roster is not better in the 3-4, and it's not even close. The reason we were able to get Jared Allen is because KC was going to the 3-4 and Jared basically refused to play as an OLB in the 3-4 because he was and still is a bad fit. I don't see Robison having the athleticism to drop into coverage as a 3-4 OLB, so he'd be a bad fit. Like I said earlier, Kevin Williams could play the 5 tech, but he's getting older and has struggled staying healthy. Yes we need a NT even now, but that need becomes magnified at least 10x by moving to the 3-4. Currently our only needs in the front 7 are at MLB and NT and both are second or even third tier needs. If we go to the 3-4, we'd need an OLB, a NT, and a 5 tech, at least, and all of those would be huge needs, adding to our already huge needs at OT, CB, S, WR, and OG(with some of those needing multiple players). Frankly I just don't see how it makes any sense at all, but I guess everyone has an opinion, and you're not the only person who thinks this way.

FuzzyGopher
01-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Assuming Singletary gets the DC job, who should we draft with our top 3 pick next year?

General Zod
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
lol, no one wants to be our D coordinator. But I dont blame them, they would inherit our lousy secondary...

FuzzyGopher
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
And not a lot of job security, if Frazier gets fired next year the new guy may want to bring in his own DC.

bearsfan_51
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
And not a lot of job security, if Frazier gets fired next year the new guy may want to bring in his own DC.
Not to mention you have no idea where the team is going to play.

eltwentyone
01-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Jared Allen and Brian Robison are severely undersized to be 3-4 ends. Allen has the ability that he probably could transition to 3-4 OLB, but he's much better as a 4-3 end. Kevin Williams could play end (and has, when we experimented with the 3-4 a few years back), but he's getting older and has slowed down.

I would trade allen for a first round pick, we are going in full rebuild mode, Ballard can play in a 3-4 too, I rather have Everson griffin>Brian robinson in playtime,

we are coaching teh senior bowl yet we got no staff this sucks

The_Dude
01-15-2012, 05:28 PM
Apparently Pagac was stripped of DC title & was offered the lb position back. Which may mean that Singletary moves to DC. This is not making me any more confident in our staff/team.

Crazy_Chris
01-15-2012, 07:02 PM
I would be happy to keep Pagac, he's been a good LB coach. But I would be very disappointed with Mike Singeltary as DC.

wogitalia
01-15-2012, 10:40 PM
So who else kind of wishes the team would move to LA so that we could all have an excuse to pick a new team to support?

Honestly... it's tough being a Vikes fan, we just seem to make mistake after mistake. We are that team that make those competent GMs and coaches look great because we make everything look difficult.

Fuuuuuuuu!

Yes... this is related to the fact that we are even giving Singletary a thought as our DC, we need someone who can develop a scheme to cover for the fact that we have no secondary, sure it's probably not possible but I'm pretty damn sure that if it is possible that Singletary is absolutely not the guy who will work it out.

BuckNaked
01-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Guys Packers lost, this is cause for celebration. Or just to momentarily deflect how overwhelmingly inefficient our franchise is as a whole. Either or.

prock
01-16-2012, 03:42 AM
I would trade allen for a first round pick, we are going in full rebuild mode, Ballard can play in a 3-4 too, I rather have Everson griffin>Brian robinson in playtime,

we are coaching teh senior bowl yet we got no staff this sucks

You better get more than one 1st for Jared ******* Allen. Never trading him.

BuckNaked
01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
You better get more than one 1st for Jared ******* Allen. Never trading him.

If we traded Jared Allen I'd boycott the Vikings.

BuckNaked
01-18-2012, 02:52 PM
So I guess we're gonna keep rolling with the Tampa 2 then...

The_Dude
01-18-2012, 06:40 PM
boo.....................

what makes you say that?

Crazy_Chris
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
boo.....................

what makes you say that?

I would guess because the Vikes have offered the DC job to the colts DB coach.

marshallb
01-19-2012, 10:52 AM
It sure seems like Frazier's doing everything he can to hold onto the cover 2 for as long as possible.

In semi related news, the Vikings hired Brendan Daly to be the DL Coach (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_to_bring_back_Brendan_Daly_to_coach_defens ive_line011912). Daly was the Vikings assistant DL coach from 2006-2008, before he left to coach the Rams DL with Spags.

marshallb
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
The Vikings also announced that Alan Williams accepted the offer to be the defensive coordinator. Link from Vikings website (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Add-Williams-Daly-To-Coaching-Staff/c45bd6ea-616e-4741-8f41-b1ec747701a0)

wogitalia
01-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Oh yay... more tampa 2 awfulness, that's just awesome.

The Daly hire is alright with me, our DL was awesome with him and St Louis was reasonable in that area(it was everything else they stunk at).

marshallb
01-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Vikings signed CFL's hardest hitter, linebacker Solomon Elimimian (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_sign_CFLs_hardest_hitter_linebacker_Solomo n_Elimimian012512)

VikesWookie
01-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Vikings signed CFL's hardest hitter, linebacker Solomon Elimimian (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_sign_CFLs_hardest_hitter_linebacker_Solomo n_Elimimian012512)

we're the stepping ground for a couple of cfl'ers already... Arceneux (sp?) and Onotalu.

The_Dude
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Damn, Pelissaro does a lot of work.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/2011_Vikings_Review_Percy_Harvin_earns_highest_gra de_on_offense013112?utm_source=feedburner

Good write up/grades for Vikings 2011 offensive players.

VikesWookie
02-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I hoped he would've had a write up grading the coaching effort.

The_Dude
02-03-2012, 07:35 AM
that could be part 3 in the 3 part series

The_Dude
02-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Can Vikings find No. 1 receiver in free agency?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/138594114.html

I'm open to the idea of drafting Blackmon, but not at #3, and really we have greater needs (OT) that we may not be able to justify using a 1st round pick on the WR position.

My number one FA receiver for the Vikes to go out & get would be Dwayne Bowe. The kid is a beast. He's not the fastest guy out there, but he catches practically everything & is the kind of big-bodied guy we need for a #1 receiver in the WCO.

I want Desean Jackson to be my #1 choice, but he would probably demand too much $ & seems like the kind of guy who's play will start to deteriorate once he gets the big $ contract. Jackson & Harvin on the field together would be pretty sweet though.

Vincent Jackson would be my #3 choice followed by Stevie Johnson.

Colston would be great consolation prize, but his injury history concerns me.

I think that Garcon is a good #2, but look how his production dropped without Manning & we need a #1. Wayne is getting too old and his production has been slipping the last few years.

I want nothing to do with Doucet, Robinson, or Lloyd.

The problem will really be that several of these guys will not even be able to hit the free agent market. Then the Vikes will have to fight over the scraps.

I will be pissed if the Vikings settle for another 3rd tier (at best) Wr FA signing.

Vikings4ever
02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Can Vikings find No. 1 receiver in free agency?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/138594114.html

I'm open to the idea of drafting Blackmon, but not at #3, and really we have greater needs (OT) that we may not be able to justify using a 1st round pick on the WR position.

My number one FA receiver for the Vikes to go out & get would be Dwayne Bowe. The kid is a beast. He's not the fastest guy out there, but he catches practically everything & is the kind of big-bodied guy we need for a #1 receiver in the WCO.

I want Desean Jackson to be my #1 choice, but he would probably demand too much $ & seems like the kind of guy who's play will start to deteriorate once he gets the big $ contract. Jackson & Harvin on the field together would be pretty sweet though.

Vincent Jackson would be my #3 choice followed by Stevie Johnson.

Colston would be great consolation prize, but his injury history concerns me.

I think that Garcon is a good #2, but look how his production dropped without Manning & we need a #1. Wayne is getting too old and his production has been slipping the last few years.

I want nothing to do with Doucet, Robinson, or Lloyd.

The problem will really be that several of these guys will not even be able to hit the free agent market. Then the Vikes will have to fight over the scraps.

I will be pissed if the Vikings settle for another 3rd tier (at best) Wr FA signing.

A sleeper I'd like to see the Vikes target is Robert Meachem. Lots of talent, but Brees spread the ball around too much for him to shine.

marshallb
02-05-2012, 03:03 AM
So, Jared Allen didn't get DPOY and Cris Carter didn't get elected to the Hall again, but I guess at least Doleman got in the Hall.

The_Dude
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
A sleeper I'd like to see the Vikes target is Robert Meachem. Lots of talent, but Brees spread the ball around too much for him to shine.

Mecham is the kind of signing that would make me want to punch a hole in the wall.

marshallb
02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Vikings showing interest in Stanford Routt. (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_have_shown_interest_in_cornerback_Stanford _Routt_agent_says021012)

Crazy_Chris
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Wow, I didn't even know he was released, that would be a good pickup.

djp
02-10-2012, 12:47 PM
hmmm... definitely interested but I wanna see what kind of contract he wants first

marshallb
02-13-2012, 05:30 PM
With free agency starting a month from today, which of the Vikings free agents do you want to see us re-sign?

I'd like to see us keep Erin Henderson, Devin Aromashodu, and Husain Abdullah, and that's really it, maybe a couple other guys if they sign cheap just for depth, but nothing more than that.

djp
02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I can't commit to picking up the Vikings myself in the mock offseason, but if someone here does, I'd be more than willing to throw out a few ideas/be involved in some trade discussion. Whoever gets the gig, if you want (and I am by no means going to be offended if you choose not to), just PM me and I'll try to be of some assistance.

Crazy_Chris
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
With free agency starting a month from today, which of the Vikings free agents do you want to see us re-sign?

I'd like to see us keep Erin Henderson, Devin Aromashodu, and Husain Abdullah, and that's really it, maybe a couple other guys if they sign cheap just for depth, but nothing more than that.

I'd like to re-sign Erin Henderson, Hussain Abdullah, Letroy Guion, and Sage Rosenfels. Also would like to see Percy Harvin get a well deserved contract extension.

marshallb
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I can't commit to picking up the Vikings myself in the mock offseason, but if someone here does, I'd be more than willing to throw out a few ideas/be involved in some trade discussion. Whoever gets the gig, if you want (and I am by no means going to be offended if you choose not to), just PM me and I'll try to be of some assistance.

I have applied to be the Vikings GM, and I'd be more than willing to use you as an assistant type.

marshallb
02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
So, over in the fantasy section BeerBaron is running a forum offseason, and I'm running the Vikings. We just finished up the first round of FA, and here's what I've done so far. I cut Steve Hutchinson, Anthony Herrera, and Cedric Griffin which saved just under $14 mil in cap space. I didn't want to cut Hutch, but I wasn't about to pay him $7 mil when we need to rebuild, especially when I needed cap space for FA.

I've since signed the following guys in FA: Tracy Porter, OJ Atogwe, and re-signed the following: Erin Henderson, Husain Abdullah, Devin Aromashodu, and Letroy Guion. I also have enough cap room left to sign "a Mid or two plus some Lows" and you can sign an unlimited number of veteran minimums. Not sure what I plan on doing with that cap space, but if you want to throw out some suggestions feel free to do so.

I tried going after the top and even second level WR: VJax, Bowe, Colston, Meachem, Garcon, and Manningham, but they all signed elsewhere, despite me even overpaying for a couple of them. Oh well, I did get good secondary help which was a top priority and then re-signed our guys I wanted to bring back.

Crazy_Chris
02-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Like what you have done so far, wish they could have gotten one of the WRs though. I don't think there is anything else I would look for in F/A. Now I would just sit back and put together a draft strategy. And getting those 2 DBs sets the draft up pretty well with 2 less glaring holes to fill.

Vikings4ever
02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
What are you thinking for a starting MLB, since it looks like you didn't resign EJ?

marshallb
02-19-2012, 07:30 PM
What are you thinking for a starting MLB, since it looks like you didn't resign EJ?

I haven't quite decided yet, looking at what's left in FA and the fact that I've only got about $5 mil in cap space, I'm not sure if I want to go after a FA or take one in the mid rounds in the draft and pair him with Brinkley. I can pretty much tell you this, though, is that I'm almost positive that it'd be Erin and Greenway getting the snaps in the nickel at LB, and with the way things are right now that would be ~50% or better of the snaps anyway. Maybe just look at getting a short term run stopping type of veteran stopgap to fill that for a couple years for fairly cheap? I'm open to ideas, so if you have any please share them with me.

Crazy_Chris
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
I'd actually look to move Greenway(my preference) or Erin to MLB. Then address OLB somewhere in the draft(probably the mid rounds).

Crazy_Chris
02-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Just incase you guys have twitter, @VikingsPromos is giving away some Vikings stuff every work day during this offseason.

VikesWookie
02-20-2012, 07:30 PM
So, over in the fantasy section BeerBaron is running a forum offseason, and I'm running the Vikings. We just finished up the first round of FA, and here's what I've done so far. I cut Steve Hutchinson, Anthony Herrera, and Cedric Griffin which saved just under $14 mil in cap space. I didn't want to cut Hutch, but I wasn't about to pay him $7 mil when we need to rebuild, especially when I needed cap space for FA.

I've since signed the following guys in FA: Tracy Porter, OJ Atogwe, and re-signed the following: Erin Henderson, Husain Abdullah, Devin Aromashodu, and Letroy Guion. I also have enough cap room left to sign "a Mid or two plus some Lows" and you can sign an unlimited number of veteran minimums. Not sure what I plan on doing with that cap space, but if you want to throw out some suggestions feel free to do so.

I tried going after the top and even second level WR: VJax, Bowe, Colston, Meachem, Garcon, and Manningham, but they all signed elsewhere, despite me even overpaying for a couple of them. Oh well, I did get good secondary help which was a top priority and then re-signed our guys I wanted to bring back.

good luck! whenever i did these on cds' draft site the vikes never got any love... the winners usually turned their entire team around for namesake players and top end rooks. woohoo! put in tons of hours rebuilding the team and all sorts of bias when voting... never again! ;)

yo123
02-21-2012, 12:17 AM

I like all those moves other than resigning Abullah. I ******* hate Abdullah.

marshallb
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
I like all those moves other than resigning Abullah. I ******* hate Abdullah.

Haha. It was a low level deal and I don't mind him at strong safety and think he's a solid starter. He played well the first five weeks but then played through an injury before he went on the DL with concussion issues. He's surely better than Johnson and Sanford, which isn't saying much. Obviously it's far from a perfect fit for filling that hole, but I felt that it's better than what the other options were.

marshallb
02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
So, an update on the forum mock. I signed Shaun Hill to be the 3rd QB and a mentor to Ponder and Webb. Draft just started, Kalil went to the Rams as their was problems with their trade partner submitting the deal, so they were given Kalil. I then traded down with the Redskins getting 6, 70(3rd rounder), and a 2013 2nd. I then took Reiff at 6 after Claiborne and Blackmon went 4 and 5. I own the following picks now: 35, 67, 70, 98(Comp), 101, 132(Comp), 140, 173, 208, 221, and 250(Comp). It's highly unlikely that I keep all those picks, and will probably try to move up at a couple spots in the draft.

jimmylishis
02-22-2012, 08:19 PM
So, an update on the forum mock. I signed Shaun Hill to be the 3rd QB and a mentor to Ponder and Webb. Draft just started, Kalil went to the Rams as their was problems with their trade partner submitting the deal, so they were given Kalil. I then traded down with the Redskins getting 6, 70(3rd rounder), and a 2013 2nd. I then took Reiff at 6 after Claiborne and Blackmon went 4 and 5. I own the following picks now: 35, 67, 70, 98(Comp), 101, 132(Comp), 140, 173, 208, 221, and 250(Comp). It's highly unlikely that I keep all those picks, and will probably try to move up at a couple spots in the draft.

I really like that trade. I would say try and get either randle sanu or criner and spend the rest of the picks on DBs OL and a DT and that would be a hell of a draft

MetSox17
02-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Hey guys, just swinging by to ask for an opinion. How did Steve Hutchinson look this year? I've been reading that he may be a cap casualty, and we have a pretty dire need at guard. I know he isn't what he used to be, but what would we get in return for a 2-3M/year deal?

marshallb
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Hey guys, just swinging by to ask for an opinion. How did Steve Hutchinson look this year? I've been reading that he may be a cap casualty, and we have a pretty dire need at guard. I know he isn't what he used to be, but what would we get in return for a 2-3M/year deal?

He was solid. It sounds bland, but that's by far the best way to describe him at this point is as a solid starter. He's been banged up seemingly constantly the past couple years and ended the season on IR with a concussion. He said earlier this offseason that he's planning on just playing out his contract, which only has one year left, and then retiring, but who knows, players constantly change their minds, especially if it comes from going to a contending team. Anyways, he was probably our best OL for the first few games before Sullivan got healthy and started playing really well and was then our 2nd best OL for the rest of the time he was on the field IMO. Not sure that's saying much, though as there isn't much along our OL. For 2-3 mil per year on a contending team he could be well worth it, as long as you're not asking for him to be your best OL or anything like that, but in Dallas he wouldn't have to be, so that could be a nice fit. Just plan on having something as a backup as he'll probably miss a couple games again.

Hope that helps...

prock
02-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I dig the offseason so far marshallb. Awesome second rounder, and good trade down. Shoring up that offensive line is a good move. Excited to see what you are gonna do in the third.

marshallb
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
I dig the offseason so far marshallb. Awesome second rounder, and good trade down. Shoring up that offensive line is a good move. Excited to see what you are gonna do in the third.

The plan was to take Randle or Sanu at the top of the 2nd and then trade back up into the mid 2nd for Zeitler or Osemele, but once they were both taken right before my picks I decided to just make sure I get Zeitler. I've got a couple different guys I'm thinking of with the 3rd rounders I have. All kinda depends who goes in the next couple picks.

Crazy_Chris
02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
According to Tom Pelissero leslie frazier said the Vikings haven't talked about moving Greenway to MLB. Aswell he said that Erin Henderson is "probably best at the weakside linebacker".

Seems like will be looking at a MLBs in this draft.

The_Dude
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I also like what you have done with the forum mock, marshall.

Those are 2 of the more "non-flashy" picks that we could make, but seriously, they would make us a much better team for a long time.

marshallb
02-26-2012, 02:47 AM
I also like what you have done with the forum mock, marshall.

Those are 2 of the more "non-flashy" picks that we could make, but seriously, they would make us a much better team for a long time.

Thanks. I'm happy with how things have gone so far. Not quite according to how I had hoped for pre-draft, but I like how the board has played out for me overall.

Here's an update on what I've done so far and a bit of an explanation:

1.6(f/WAS): Reilly Reiff OT Iowa
2.35: Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
3.67: Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
3.70(f/WAS): Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt
3.98(COMP): Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
4.101: James-Michael Johnson MLB Nevada
4.119(JAX): Trenton Robinson S Michigan State
4.132(COMP): Jarius Wright WR Arkansas

I didn't plan on taking a DT that early, but I felt like Thompson was a damn good value, and if I had gone elsewhere there it would have been Nick Toon who I was able to get pretty much a round later. I felt like Thompson was a bit of a steal and could easily have gone in the early to mid 2nd, but DT fell in this draft, although I would have taken Thompson over several of the DT that went before him. He's a good fit at NT for us and can start right away for us with Ballard and Ayodele rotating with him and Kevin to hopefully bring our run D back up to where it had been.

I'm a huge fan of Casey Hayward(have him as my #4 CB for us behind Claiborne, Kirkpatrick, and Jenkins) and despite adding Porter in FA you can never have enough CB and with Cook's situation you really have no idea how that's going to play out, and on top of that Winfield has at most a couple years left. I think Hayward is drastically underrated, especially around here and I'd be very happy if we could get him in the 3rd in the real draft.

I know a lot of you are not big fans of Toon, but with the last pick of the 3rd I felt like the value was very good, and the other WR who I was debating between were Wright who I was able to get a round later, Chris Givens who is still available, and Brian Quick who I like but we need someone who can contribute right away and I don't think he's ready for that coming from Appalachian State. Toon will never be a star, but can be a very good possession guy and a solid #2/very good #3 from the start.

After letting EJ go in FA and not signing anyone else, I needed a MLB, and the top MLB left was Johnson, who I haven't seen much of, but I like what I've read about him and it sounds like he can play right away against the run and has the athleticism to develop into an every down LB. He can battle Brinkley, who will be coming back from injury, for the starting spot in training camp.

After resigning Abdullah and adding Atogwe in FA, S wasn't as big of a need, so I wasn't forced to reach on one earlier and was able to snag Robinson at what I feel is a pretty good value in the mid 4th after trading up with Jacksonville(gave up a 5th and 6th). If I had taken a S earlier Robinson would likely have been the guy as Barron, Iloka, Martin, and Smith all went before I had the chance to as Barron went late first and the other three all went in the second. The plan would be that he'll backup Atogwe and Abdullah right away and eventually will move into the starting lineup.

After that I debated taking an OLB, but after Travis Lewis went shortly before my last pick, I opted to go with a guy who I felt was a damn good value in Wright and giving Ponder another weapon. My concern over taking him earlier instead of Toon was that I'm not sure that Wright can play on the outside for the majority of the time, and having Harvin who thrives in the slot already and not much for outside guys I didn't want to force a square peg into a round hole so to speak. With the rest of our needs filled pretty well though I felt like it was worth it to get another weapon for Ponder and someone with Wright's athleticism and potential was hard to pass up and in the end I couldn't do it. The way I see it, if the coaching staff continues to refuse to play Harvin every down(or damn close to it), Wright gives us someone else who can play in that spot instead of Aromashodu or Jenkins getting the snaps there, and when we'd go 4 wide having Wright and Harvin in the slot would be beast and Wright flat out just gives us another explosive player which we don't have nearly enough of, especially with Adrian's knee injury.

If you've got any suggestions on what I should do, please let me know as I'm not quite sure what I want to do. After trading our 5th and 6th, I don't pick again until the 7th and have three picks in that round including a comp pick. I've thought about trying to package the two 7ths and move into the 6th for a higher quality player, and may do that depending on who falls, but I'd also be content just waiting and taking whoever falls to me. I'd be surprised if anyone has read all of this, but if you did, thank you and hope you enjoyed my long, long explanation.

the_legend_killer
02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I'd be pleased with that offseason. The draft picks make sense, especially with you explaining them, and if this happened I'd be a happy Vikings fan. An o-line of Reiff/Johnson/Sullivan/Zeitler/Loadholt would have to be better than the current one (I forgot if you cut Hutchinson or not, feeling a little too lazy to go check, if you didn't, sub Hutchinson in for Johnson). Good work.

marshallb
02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd be pleased with that offseason. The draft picks make sense, especially with you explaining them, and if this happened I'd be a happy Vikings fan. An o-line of Reiff/Johnson/Sullivan/Zeitler/Loadholt would have to be better than the current one (I forgot if you cut Hutchinson or not, feeling a little too lazy to go check, if you didn't, sub Hutchinson in for Johnson). Good work.

Yea, I cut Hutch. Didn't feel it was worth it to pay him $7 mil, and we weren't able to restructure deals without just cutting them and signing them back cheaper, and he signed a deal higher than I would have went elsewhere anyways. I like the idea of Johnson inside at G. He struggles with speed off the edge, but he's a good run blocker and does well once he gets his hands on pass rushers.

Crazy_Chris
02-28-2012, 03:31 PM
This isn't surprising, but the Vikings have informed Greg Camarilo that they aren't interested in re-signing him.

marshallb
02-29-2012, 06:20 PM
So, we've finished up the draft in the forum mock, and will be doing a final round of FA and signing UDFA next. Not planning on doing much, but will bring in a few UDFA and maybe a couple veterans on vet min contracts.

Here's all of the draft picks:
1.6(f/WAS): Reilly Reiff OT Iowa
2.35: Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
3.67: Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
3.70(f/WAS): Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt
3.98(COMP): Nick Toon WR Wisconsin
4.101: James-Michael Johnson MLB Nevada
4.119(JAX): Trenton Robinson S Michigan State
4.132(COMP): Jarius Wright WR Arkansas
7.208: Derek Dennis OG Temple
7.221(f/NE): Tyler Nielsen OLB Iowa
7.250(COMP): Beau Reliford TE Florida State

Since I last posted I drafted Dennis, Nielsen, and Reliford. The thought process behind those picks was: We needed OL depth, particularly on the inside and from what I've read, Dennis looks the part and moves like an NFL guard, which is about as much as you can ask for in the 7th round. We don't have much for OLB depth, so Nielsen can provide depth at both OLB spots and looks like he'll be a good ST if he'd make the roster. I was hoping to take George Bryan at the beginning of the 7th to take over Kleinsasser's role as the blocking TE, but he was taken at the very end of the 6th, so I settled for Reliford. He won't offer much in the way of receiving abilities, but he should be a good blocker. Also provides competition for Shuler and Reisner as the backup tight ends.

The_Dude
03-10-2012, 02:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/10/report-vikings-to-cut-steve-hutchinson-anthony-herrera/

With free agency starting in three days, the Vikings apparently are clearing some cap space in the hopes of making a move or two.

Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the team will release guard Steve Hutchinson and guard Anthony Herrera.

Cutting Hutchinson, who was entering the final season of a seven-year, $49 million contract, avoids his base salary of $6.95 million. Herrera’s release clears another $2.65 million unpaid salary.

That equates to $9.6 million in cap space.

They may need to spend some of that money on a guard or two. Hutchinson started on the left side, and Herrera started on the right side.

Hutchinson was swiped from the Seahawks via a poison-pill offer when Mike Holmgren was the coach in Seattle and Brad Childress was the coach in Minnesota. They both now work for the Browns, and we’d be surprised if Hutchinson doesn’t end up there, too.

No big surprise here. I have hopes and dreams that they turn some of that additional 9 million in cap space into Nicks or Grubbs to be honest. Draft Kalil, move Charlie in to the other guard spot, & our o-line is in great shape sans injury!

VikesWookie
03-10-2012, 03:07 PM
i'm not sure if i'd spend 8M+ on an OG again...
take the money and make a run at SuperMario imo.

The_Dude
03-10-2012, 03:14 PM
but why throw that much money at an area of our team that is one of our few strengths rather than work on one of our major weaknesses?

FuzzyGopher
03-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Signing Vincent Jackson, drafting Kalil and moving Johnson over to LG would be a solid step in the right direction to protect Ponder and give him a down field option. The rest of our picks can be used on DBs and another guard. What other free agents are out there that could help us?

VikesWookie
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
but why throw that much money at an area of our team that is one of our few strengths rather than work on one of our major weaknesses?

a solid pass rush can help mask coverage deficiencies. however our team addresses the DB positions, having two stud ends should help develop our schemes.

i'd like to see the Vikes address the WR position in FA, yet i'm not sure i'd pay a bloated fare for any that are in the pool currently.

Brandon Carr would be interesting... at the right price tho. Not a huge fan of Landry at what he'll be asking imo...

Interior O-Line should be developed through the draft and in most cases, players that are coming from rounds 3 or later. I wasn't a big fan of the 7/49M contract we gave years back to Hutch.

marshallb
03-10-2012, 05:29 PM
i'm not sure if i'd spend 8M+ on an OG again...
take the money and make a run at SuperMario imo.

Cedric Griffin was also released, which opens up another $4 mil in cap space.

EDIT:
Tom Pelissero
‏ @TomPelissero

Griffin had $1 million in unamortized bonus proration remaining. So, cutting him saves $3.65 million. #Vikings about $23 million under cap.

First of all, there's a less than zero percent chance we sign Mario Williams, and a very slim chance we even make a run at him. There's no way we can afford to have that much money tied up in one position, especially when you consider that Robison is a solid or better starter opposite Allen.

I'm with you on the guards, though. Rather than seeing us go after Nicks or Grubbs, I'd much rather see us go after a WR. I don't think we'll have much of a chance at Vincent Jackson, given that he'll have a pretty big market, and that we don't have a whole lot of selling points to him other than offer him a lot of cash and there are other teams that will do that just as much. I'd much rather just go after Colston, who can be a good #1 for us. That way we don't have to worry about WR in the draft and can instead focus on OL and DB.

Go with something like Kalil, Gilmore, Brandon Washington, and then a S(I'm having a tough time getting a read on the S class and who will be available late 3/early 4, so I'll refrain from throwing out any names at this time). Then if we can get a MLB and DT and then some depth in the later rounds we're well on our way to rebuilding.

VikesWookie
03-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Robison's effectiveness appeared to end after the nutstomp incident. The coaching staff didn't feel Everson was ready enough to step in. I'm not sure they have any confidence in Everson other than in ST.

Whether we make a run or not at Mario, Brandon Carr would be a welcome addition IMO. VJax would be nice, but he's going to command an outrageous lump sum.

I'd love to see the draft fall with us taking Kalil, Gilmore... hopefully Markelle Martin falls to us in early 3rd. Use the 3rd rd comp pick on best WR or DT, then grabbing the other early 4th. LB would be my only concern with my scenario, so maybe instead of a run on Mario, a run on a LB would be money wiser spent...

Taber21
03-12-2012, 08:57 AM
I really feel like this off season should be focused on supporting Ponder. We need to give him weapons, and people up front to keep him standing. We have too many holes to try and fill everything in one off season, and I don't think anyone thinks we are one off-season away from making the playoffs, especially in the best division in football. If we give more emphasis on offense this year, next year we can have a more defensive outlook.

The_Dude
03-12-2012, 11:40 AM
i would be content with pierre garcon over colston.

just sayin'....

The Dynasty
03-12-2012, 05:51 PM
i would be content with pierre garcon over colston.

just sayin'....

Yeah I would be fine with Garcon over Colston. Cheaper and probably the same amount of production. I wouldn't be surprised if he do go after Garcon and then go OT/CB in Rounds 1 and 2.

Taber21
03-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I am not sure how much Garcon is looking for, he did turn down a 5 year deal from the Colts so he may be asking too much for what he gives. If he is at a reasonable price, he would be a good signing, just don't want to over spend on a guy with the drop problems hes had.

VikesWookie
03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I really feel like this off season should be focused on supporting Ponder. We need to give him weapons, and people up front to keep him standing. We have too many holes to try and fill everything in one off season, and I don't think anyone thinks we are one off-season away from making the playoffs, especially in the best division in football. If we give more emphasis on offense this year, next year we can have a more defensive outlook.

i hear ya... i'd like the focus on O to include a young vet WR and possibly another proven piece along the OLine... not breaking the bank on either.
To be able to address multiple areas would be key, although i think to keep Ponder upright, we need to get solid, known production upfront... other than Kalil (i'm hoping).
I don't expect consistent production from most rooks. i'll take my shots with this depleted DB core on investing higher in this draft with D. just my thoughts ;)

Crazy_Chris
03-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Vikings re-signed Letroy Guion to a 3 year deal.

Taber21
03-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Just when you thought we couldn't need a #1 CB any more than we do...

Vikings4ever
03-14-2012, 12:28 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/179973272761401344

Vikings reached agreement with former Seahawks tight end John Carslon on a five-year, $25 million deal.

With all the holes on the team, 5 million a year on an injury prone TE? Can't say I like the signing.

Taber21
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
We definitely need 2 quality TE's for what we do offensively, but like you said, $5m/year for a guy who can't stay healthy is a questionable decision.

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM
I would have like it be $3.5-4 mil a year, but he is only getting $11 mil garunteed and will basically be a starter in Musgrave offense. A big part of making this deal was the weakness of this TE class.

Taber21
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Ya they are saying he was getting interest from at least 8 other teams, so it is understandable why they wanted to get him a deal he wouldn't turn down. As a player, if he can stay healthy, it is a great signing/fit for the Vikings.

marshallb
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm fine with the signing. With Musgrave's offense, you need 2 TEs. It was a little more than what I would have liked to have seen, but the guaranteed money is the only part that really matters, and that makes the deal worth a little over $2 mil a year. We also need to surround Ponder with weapons of some sort. The top WR have all signed, leaving only Manningham and Laurent Robinson as the best options available, so we might as well sign somebody who can help out Ponder in some way or another. I'd still like to see us sign a WR, but if the market is as high for those guys as it has been so far, I'd be more than fine to see us pass on those guys and then focus on WR in round 2 or 3 in the draft.

Vikings4ever
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Hopefully this turns out like the Schincoe signing. Everyone thought the Vikes were idiots for giving him 3.5 million a year, but he was well worth it.

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm fine with the signing. With Musgrave's offense, you need 2 TEs. It was a little more than what I would have liked to have seen, but the guaranteed money is the only part that really matters, and that makes the deal worth a little over $2 mil a year. We also need to surround Ponder with weapons of some sort. The top WR have all signed, leaving only Manningham and Laurent Robinson as the best options available, so we might as well sign somebody who can help out Ponder in some way or another. I'd still like to see us sign a WR, but if the market is as high for those guys as it has been so far, I'd be more than fine to see us pass on those guys and then focus on WR in round 2 or 3 in the draft.

I'm a bit optomistic that we can get Manningham for a decent price as the market doesn't seem to be very big for him.

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Hopefully this turns out like the Schincoe signing. Everyone thought the Vikes were idiots for giving him 3.5 million a year, but he was well worth it.

Haha, yea a lot of people were upset about signing him.

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Apparently the Vikings reallllllyyy wanted Carlson, so much so Spielman convinced him to completely skip his visit to the Chiefs facility... Also they have some more visits scheduled.

Tom Pelissero‏@TomPelissero
Spielman says there are "a couple" more visits lined up with #Vikings. Won't say names.

Vikes99ej
03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I like the Carlson signing.

VikesWookie
03-14-2012, 04:48 PM
would anyone favor bringing in Brown or Winston to replace Loadholt?

Taber21
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Obviously having Winston would be awesome, but I just think we have too many holes to spend money to improve on a guy who is not terrible. Would it be a considerable improvement? Absolutely. That said, we need CB, S, WR, DT, LB, G. I just think the money could be spent better elsewhere.