PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Vikes are apparently looking to make Letroy Guion their NT this year.

And general manager Rick Spielman said the plan is for Guion to come into next season as a nose tackle after spending most of his first four NFL seasons playing the three-technique behind Kevin Williams.

"He's an extremely talented athlete," Spielman said. "I know when we had meetings on all of our personnel, we still think there's a huge, huge upside to Letroy.

"I know we played him some at three-technique and some at nose. Talking with (new line coach) Brendan Daly when he came in and (new coordinator) Alan Williams, we feel if we can settle him in at one spot and let him learn and grow in that particular spot that he's only go to learn and grow in that particular spot that he's only going to improve and get better."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_plan_to_make_a_nose_tackle_out_of_Letroy_G uion_who_got_9M031412

Crazy_Chris
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
would anyone favor bringing in Brown or Winston to replace Loadholt?

Don't like Levi Brown at all, very mediocre player. But would be interested in Winston, but I think the price will be too high from the competition that needs a RT upgrade much more.

Taber21
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Vikes are apparently looking to make Letroy Guion thier NT this year.

Odd... didn't think he was stout enough to man the NT full time... I guess we shall see.

VikesWookie
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
how much more per season would Winston cost versus Loadholt currently? a rough guesstimate...

Taber21
03-14-2012, 05:48 PM
how much more per season would Winston cost versus Loadholt currently? a rough guesstimate...

Loadholt: roughly $900k cap hit next season
Winston: Between $7-9mil a year.

Tyson Clabo, considered one of the top RT's in the NFL, signed a 5 year, $27m deal 2 years ago I believe, but took less money to stay in Atlanta. I guess he was offered $7mil/year from another team. Winston would certainly get that, possibly more, as he is in consideration as the best RT in the NFL, and someone will pay him as so.

VikesWookie
03-14-2012, 08:01 PM
it's absurd to let him walk... i realize he had a 5.5M cap hit, but that's a bargain for an upper tier OT.

Taber21
03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Ya, exactly. The Texans had him at a discount compared to what he will make open market. They will have to pay someone $3mil/year or so to start at RT anyways so the savings are even less. They should have looked in to restructures/extensions in order to increase their cap room, not dump one of their better lineman.

VikesWookie
03-14-2012, 08:37 PM
considering they knew where they sat in regards to the salary cap... i'm guessing they didn't have a choice on Mario, but to either not do something with his contract or dish him for something. some team has to have the space and need for him. anything, even a 4th, would've been something. would the Texans even be eligible for a comp pick next year?

some ppl have speculated they did it to make space for peyton... wtf? why would he go to a team that just dismantled one of the best parts of their oline?

has Brandon Carr signed anywhere yet?

Taber21
03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Carr signed with Dallas.

They won't be eligible for a comp pick for Winston. They have openly stated they don't have interest in Peyton so that rumor was never more than that. The move was salary cap related only it seems.

VikesWookie
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Other than Guion (in-house) and John Carlson, who do the Vikes have on their radar? Have there been any blurbs of late on who might be visiting Winter Park?

prock
03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
I know Carlson was a high pick, but how has he been in Seattle? Either way it's awesome to bring a good small town Minnesota boy home.

Crazy_Chris
03-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Chris Cook was found not guilty on all counts... I'm very surprised he's didn't get hit with one of the lesser charges.... He's still not in the clear, could potentially be suspended by Goodell.

General Zod
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Chris Cook was found not guilty on all counts... I'm very surprised he's didn't get hit with one of the lesser charges.... He's still not in the clear, could potentially be suspended by Goodell.

Yeah but since we was found innocent, im guessing it wont be more then 2 games. As much as the guy sounds like a douchbag, Im glad he'll be able to play this year. We are in bad need of DBs and he was playing well last season.

Crazy_Chris
03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Yeah but since we was found innocent, im guessing it wont be more then 2 games. As much as the guy sounds like a douchbag, Im glad he'll be able to play this year. We are in bad need of DBs and he was playing well last season.

Just saw this on twitter...

Dan Wiederer‏@StribDW
NFL spokesman on Chris Cook facing league punishment "We will review the facts, but we do not expect league discipline in this matter."

Good news for the Vikes, they need him bad.

The Dynasty
03-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Just saw this on twitter...

Dan Wiederer‏@StribDW
NFL spokesman on Chris Cook facing league punishment "We will review the facts, but we do not expect league discipline in this matter."

Good news for the Vikes, they need him bad.

This is fantastic news for the Vikings. He was the only guy who could even cover Calvin Johnson. So Hopefully he will stay out of trouble after this and get his head on straight because we need his help.

Also draft related, Has it come out yet where we know exactly what pick we have in each round along with compensation picks or not yet?

Crazy_Chris
03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
This is fantastic news for the Vikings. He was the only guy who could even cover Calvin Johnson. So Hopefully he will stay out of trouble after this and get his head on straight because we need his help.

Also draft related, Has it come out yet where we know exactly what pick we have in each round along with compensation picks or not yet?

Compensatory picks still haven't been announced, and I haven't got a clue when they will.

edite: this is what I found for the picks so far

1.3, 2.3, 3.3, 4.3, 5.3, 6.3, 7.3, 7.16 (from NE via PHI)

Crazy_Chris
03-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Compensatory picks still haven't been announced, and I haven't got a clue when they will.

edite: this is what I found for the picks so far

1.3, 2.3, 3.3, 4.3, 5.3, 6.3, 7.3, 7.16 (from NE via PHI)

^^ some of those were wrong we have a 6th from cleveland and gave our 6th to washington

#3, #35 #67 #99* #131* #165(cle)* #195* #208*

*Will all go down a few spots due to compensatory picks

The Dynasty
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
^^ some of those were wrong we have a 6th from cleveland and gave our 6th to washington

Alright thanks man. I was just wondering because I wanted to start working on a Vikings Mock Draft. Just curious to see if we get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick.

Crazy_Chris
03-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Alright thanks man. I was just wondering because I wanted to start working on a Vikings Mock Draft. Just curious to see if we get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick.

From what I have read the Vikes are expecting two 4ths.

Taber21
03-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Well the factors that determine the placement of the compensatory pick is salary, playing time, and postseason participation. Therefore, with Ray Edwards 5 year, $30m deal and the fact they made the playoffs and he started all season, I would predict we get the 2nd best compensatory pick, (behind what Oakland will get for Nnamdi) so we will be getting pick 98.

General Zod
03-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Scout.com reports free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz will visit the Vikings on Monday.

I dont know much about him, could he start? Or could he just be depth?

Taber21
03-16-2012, 10:36 AM
Scout.com reports free agent G/T Geoff Schwartz will visit the Vikings on Monday.

I dont know much about him, could he start? Or could he just be depth?

I am not overly familiar with him, but my friend is a die hard Panthers fan and I asked him about him. He's the kinda guy who could be a quality backup at multiple positions, and make a few spot starts when needed. That would be his ideal role. If you figure we move Johnson inside to guard once drafting Kalil, that leaves one opening in the starting 5, so it is possible they would consider him, but hopefully he's being brought in as a versatile backup.

marshallb
03-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I am not overly familiar with him, but my friend is a die hard Panthers fan and I asked him about him. He's the kinda guy who could be a quality backup at multiple positions, and make a few spot starts when needed. That would be his ideal role. If you figure we move Johnson inside to guard once drafting Kalil, that leaves one opening in the starting 5, so it is possible they would consider him, but hopefully he's being brought in as a versatile backup.

Yea, from what I found, it looks like he could be a top backup at 4 positions on the OL, which is valuable come gameday so you don't have to dress a bunch of backup OL. I like the fact that he's only 25 years old, so maybe he could still develop into something decent on top of that.

Crazy_Chris
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
It would be a pretty good signing, Schwartz sounds just like an Arits Hicks type of player.

marshallb
03-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Vikings signed former FIU point guard (http://http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Former_college_point_guard_says_Vikings_signed_him _to_3year_contract031612)

Nick Taylor, a onetime point guard on the Florida International University basketball team, said he has signed a three-year contract with the Vikings.

Taylor spent time last season in a minor arena football league as a defensive back and worked out on Wednesday at FIU's pro day, where he was clocked at 4.34 and 4.27 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

The Vikings apparently thought enough of him to bring him to Minneapolis for a private workout on Friday and signed him shortly thereafter. Taylor said team officials told him his long-shot bid to make the roster will include a look at cornerback, punt returner and perhaps receiver, too.

Taylor's college bio lists him at 5-10 and 165 pounds. The Hollywood, Fla., native played three years on FIU basketball team, averaging 0.6 points and 0.8 assists in 18 games (two starts) as a junior in 2009-10.

VikesWookie
03-16-2012, 03:18 PM
unfortunately he appears to be another practice squad hopeful...
i wanted the coaches to give the younguns more snaps last year but most of our fresh interior oline didn't get enough reps imo...

stlouisfan37
03-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I know Carlson was a high pick, but how has he been in Seattle? Either way it's awesome to bring a good small town Minnesota boy home.

Carlson did really well his rookie year, but has battled injuries and wasn't a good fit with Pete Carroll's system. He is a very good athlete and should be productive if he can stay healthy.

djp
03-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Sorry, been away. Few thoughts

- Guion coming back is a bit surprising at that price, but if he can play NT, it's worth it. I know the Vikings like him a lot, his quick burst off the ball is unteachable. Just a matter of consistency.

- Carlson signing seems a bit odd, but as someone mentioned, the garbage TE class definitely factored into this. We'll see how it works out.

- I will never forgive the Vikings for winning at Washington this year, preventing us from getting that absolute haul that the Rams picked up.

marshallb
03-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Tom Pelissero ‏
@TomPelissero
Per a source, #Vikings will host fullback Jerome Felton on a visit tomorrow. A guy they've coveted for a while.

Would be a nice signing. D'Imperio had a couple solid plays, but was far from consistent enough and we could have used a good FB for a long time.

I'd be worried about Erin Henderson not re-signing yet, but really none of the FA LB have signed yet, so I'm not too worried yet. Sounds like he's getting a bit impatient, so maybe that could even help us out as long as we don't wait too long that he gets upset by it.

The Dynasty
03-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Just saw on twitter that Ted Ginn Jr is at the facilities today for a visit. If we could get him cheap enough he would be a good slot guy for us and also return guy. I'd still like to see us go for a big receiver in the draft though. Maybe Alshon Jeffery falls to us in the 2nd.

Crazy_Chris
03-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Just saw on twitter that Ted Ginn Jr is at the facilities today for a visit. If we could get him cheap enough he would be a good slot guy for us and also return guy. I'd still like to see us go for a big receiver in the draft though. Maybe Alshon Jeffery falls to us in the 2nd.

I would like to have ginn, it would allow Percy focus soley on offense & the Vikes have been missing a good Punt Returner since Mewelde left... Just saw on twitter that the Vikes signed Jerome Felton.

The Dynasty
03-20-2012, 06:42 PM
I would like to have ginn, it would allow Percy to focus soley on offense & the Vikes have been missing a good Punt Returner since Mewelde left... Just saw on twitter that the Vikes signed Jerome Felton.

Good Signing. We finally have a decent Fullback. Should help out AD and Toby. I hope we sign Ginn as well. He would be a great addition on our special teams.

Vikings4ever
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Good Signing. We finally have a decent Fullback. Should help out AD and Toby. I hope we sign Ginn as well. He would be a great addition on our special teams.

A good fullback is nice to have, especially at the goal line, but it's not a major part of the Vikings offense these days. And AD has said he prefers not to have a FB in front of him.

Taber21
03-21-2012, 08:35 AM
A good fullback is nice to have, especially at the goal line, but it's not a major part of the Vikings offense these days. And AD has said he prefers not to have a FB in front of him.

Didn't Toby play with a FB in front of him a lot at Stanford? Maybe this move is a "just in case AP starts on the pup" signing. If Toby is our #1 for the start of the year, and he feels more comfortable with a FB, then we need quality play from our FB for at least 6 weeks.

Crazy_Chris
03-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Tom Pelissero just said the Vikings are expected to release Remi Ayodele.

marshallb
03-21-2012, 02:54 PM

Was just about to post this.

EDIT: Sucks that we paid him good money for nothing.

Taber21
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Sucks that we paid him good money for nothing.

Ya the writing was on the wall for him when they resigned Guion and publicly stated they like him as the NT this year. Perhaps this is a sign we may target a rotational DT earlier in the draft?

Crazy_Chris
03-21-2012, 06:03 PM
The Vikes also got Geoff Schwartz on a 1 year deal.

Taber21
03-21-2012, 06:16 PM
The Vikes also got Geoff Schwartz on a 1 year deal.

I thought I read he was talking contract with the 49ers today? Wonder what we did to pull him out of there. Possibly offered him a better shot at starting? So if that is the case...

Kalil/Johnson/Sullivan/Schwartz/Loadholt

Not the best line by any means, but should provide better protection than we had last year.

marshallb
03-21-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm quite surprised it was a one year deal, given that he's only 25, but maybe he wanted that and we were the only team to give him that? Maybe it gives him a chance to show he's healthy and then go out and get a nice contract next year...

Crazy_Chris
03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
I thought I read he was talking contract with the 49ers today? Wonder what we did to pull him out of there. Possibly offered him a better shot at starting? So if that is the case...

Kalil/Johnson/Sullivan/Schwartz/Loadholt

Not the best line by any means, but should provide better protection than we had last year.

Yea I think he went with the Vikes because he has a good shot at starting at RG. Also I believe Jeff Davidson was his former O-line coach in Carolina.

I'm quite surprised it was a one year deal, given that he's only 25, but maybe he wanted that and we were the only team to give him that? Maybe it gives him a chance to show he's healthy and then go out and get a nice contract next year...

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Taber21
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Well hopefully he is motivated this year and plays very well for us and earns a nice contract next offseason. If he plays well I would be fine with giving him a 4-5 year contract after this year, presuming he doesn't expect top guard money.

Crazy_Chris
03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
CB Chris Carr is scheduled to Visit the Vikings according to Jason LaCanfora.

The Dynasty
03-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Ted Ginn Jr. Signed with the Niners tonight. So Expect us to go for a WR in the First 3 rounds like we didnt expect that already though. I wouldnt mind Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd Round.

marshallb
03-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Erin Henderson will be returning. (https://twitter.com/#!/TomPelissero/status/183278770671722497)

Tom Pelissero ‏ @TomPelissero
“@SPORTSTARSNYC: Minnesota Vikings keep @50ErinHenderson. Erin will be the heart and soul of that LB core. Congrats E!!” He's back.

EDIT:
It's a one-year, $2 million deal for Erin Henderson. Short-term bridge signing that lets #Vikings see if he ascends in 2nd season as starter

VikesWookie
03-24-2012, 03:19 PM
considering the cuts of hutch and griffin i was expecting the Vikes to make a splash in FA at either the WR/CB/LB or S position. they've made a number of meh signings. they're making it harder to guess where their draft will go... :(

lofton is still out there, right? a solid MLB would be sweet... plus allow us to not have to address the position in the draft.

marshallb
03-24-2012, 07:10 PM
considering the cuts of hutch and griffin i was expecting the Vikes to make a splash in FA at either the WR/CB/LB or S position. they've made a number of meh signings. they're making it harder to guess where their draft will go... :(

lofton is still out there, right? a solid MLB would be sweet... plus allow us to not have to address the position in the draft.

I don't see them going after Lofton. With the way the NFL is now, you only need 2 LB for 50-70+% of the snaps depending on who you're playing because you're in the nickel so much, especially if you've got a weak secondary like we do. The team is very content with Greenway and Erin to take those snaps and then will probably use Brinkley + a rookie to fill the base snaps at MLB.

Really I'm not surprised we didn't make a big splash. I thought we would sign one of the second tier guys at WR/DB, but those guys either got paid like the first tier guys(Garcon, Eric Wright), went to contenders(Manningham, Lloyd, Meachem) or stayed with their old team(Colston, Nelson, Rogers, Thomas). That doesn't cover quite everyone in that tier at those positions, but it's hard enough to get guys to come here without overpaying when we're winning, let alone when we're rebuilding like we are. I'd rather stay out of the bidding in FA than overpay guys who don't deserve it. That's bit us in the ass before(Berrian, Madeiu Williams, Ayodele, etc.)

I do have to say that I think Spielman and co. are trying to set up for a big offseason next year, given that you can carry cap room over during the first couple years of the new CBA, and they already elected to receive that extra cap space from Dallas/Washington next year. Probably thinking that we'll add a couple more pieces in the draft this year to show we're on the rise and then we'll be a good draft and a couple FA signings away from getting back in the thick of things, but maybe that's just me.

VikesWookie
03-25-2012, 01:22 AM
early doucet would've been one guy i'd have looked at... i think he might be signed now though.
not sure i'd be feeling set with having greenway and erin taking the nickel snaps. i'd take my chances with lofton... he's a guy coming off his rookie contract as well (something spielman appears to prefer). greenway and lofton signed on long term deals would be the solution at LB for several years.
i do agree that the market was extremely high for this year's crop, but brinkley doesn't strike me as a 3 down LB. considering the upper eschelon backers (lofton/hawthorne) haven't signed yet, a phone call at least would be in order ;)

The_Dude
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
no chance at lofton now, he signed with the saints.

he doesn't fit the tampa 2 mlb anyways

Taber21
03-25-2012, 09:59 AM
early doucet would've been one guy i'd have looked at... i think he might be signed now though.
not sure i'd be feeling set with having greenway and erin taking the nickel snaps. i'd take my chances with lofton... he's a guy coming off his rookie contract as well (something spielman appears to prefer). greenway and lofton signed on long term deals would be the solution at LB for several years.
i do agree that the market was extremely high for this year's crop, but brinkley doesn't strike me as a 3 down LB. considering the upper eschelon backers (lofton/hawthorne) haven't signed yet, a phone call at least would be in order ;)

He is certainly not a 3 down LB, but I believe what the point was we don't need him to be. With the extent of 3/4 WR sets, the amount we stay in our base look will be less and less. With only 2 LB's on the field a large portion of the time, Erin and Greenway can handle the work there, with Brinkley really only playing on running downs.

VikesWookie
03-25-2012, 04:08 PM
my point is that i severely doubt erin CAN handle the duties. i did see after i posted that lofton signed w/ the saints. i guess in my opinion, LB could've been the easiest position to remedy going into the next season by signing just one upper tier guy to go along with Greenway...

Dude: why wouldn't lofton fit into our system? he does just about the same thing in his last defensive scheme. he had to drop deep into the seams quick over many snaps. i'd say lofton has the tools to do the job better than what EJ has done of late (and will ever do again)... just my thoughts...

marshallb
03-26-2012, 10:17 AM
Vikings signed Zackary Bowman (https://twitter.com/#!/TomPelissero/status/184268819655704576)

And there's your cornerback. Happy? RT @brian_mcintyre: #Vikings Reach One-Year Deal With CB Zackary Bowman http://tinyurl.com/6ljeufy #NFL

Crazy_Chris
03-26-2012, 04:13 PM

Updating this now that the Compensatory picks are out

1-3 2-35 3-66* 4-98, 128, 134 5-138 6-175(from Cle) 7-210, 238(from NE)

*Pick moved up due to the Saints forfieting their 2nd round pick

Vikings4ever
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
We got the 33 and 39 picks in the 4th as comp picks.

Er, I guess I should have read the thread. :doh:

Taber21
03-27-2012, 08:13 AM
I am pretty dissapointed we didn't get a 3rd rounder for Edwards. He started every game for Atlanta, IIRC, and did we really have a FA who played nearly as many snaps as Edwards would have? He signed long term, for big money, made the playoffs, and started every game. All that should have added up to a late 3rd.

marshallb
04-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Vikings signed WR Bryan Walters. He was a UDFA from Cornell in 2010, and played the last two years with the Chargers, appearing in 4 career games and had 3 catches for 27 yards.

Essentially just another camp body.

marshallb
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Vikings new uniforms released (http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/photo-gallery/New-Nike-Vikings-Jersey-Unveiling/7323e0e6-2c2c-4e4e-9a3b-4beb0b5a7c10)

Not much changed at all.

vikes_28
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
The collar looks ********...

yo123
04-04-2012, 11:48 AM
I wish we would just go with the throwbacks permanently.

marshallb
04-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Vikings released preseason schedule (http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/04/04/vikings-announce-2012-preseason-schedule/)

Preseason Week 1: at San Francisco
Preseason Week 2: vs. Buffalo
Preseason Week 3: vs. San Diego
Preseason Week 4: at Houston

Dates and times will be announced at a later date.

marshallb
04-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Vikings signed Chris Carr (https://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/187637025292292096)

Jason La Canfora
‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Former ravens cb chris carr signing with vikings

EDIT: Sounds like it's a one year deal, like damn near everyone we're signing this offseason.

Kid_Ego
04-04-2012, 08:16 PM
I like the Carr signing,
I would love to see the vikes draft look something like this
1.Kahlil
2.Lavante David
3.Brandon Boykin
4.Marvin Mcnutt
4.Russell Wilson
4.Ryan Broyles
5.William Vlachos
6.Omar Bolden move to safety
7.Mike Danials

I realize 4th round we are gambling a bit but the picks are extra and we could get three excellant players. Knock on Mcnutt is speed but he has great hands and always seems to be open. broyles is a gamble but he is boom or bust. Wilson hi ives us some options and he could be a great value. Kahlil is no brainer David gives us options and a great player. Vlachos Danials add depth from schools with track historys of performing well.

hagy34
04-16-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm a fan of David as well. I do think we go DB or WR with that pick though.

Taber21
04-17-2012, 07:41 AM
I like the Carr signing,
I would love to see the vikes draft look something like this
1.Kahlil
2.Lavante David
3.Brandon Boykin
4.Marvin Mcnutt
4.Russell Wilson
4.Ryan Broyles
5.William Vlachos
6.Omar Bolden move to safety
7.Mike Danials

I realize 4th round we are gambling a bit but the picks are extra and we could get three excellant players. Knock on Mcnutt is speed but he has great hands and always seems to be open. broyles is a gamble but he is boom or bust. Wilson hi ives us some options and he could be a great value. Kahlil is no brainer David gives us options and a great player. Vlachos Danials add depth from schools with track historys of performing well.

We have way too many holes to take a QB in the 4th round when we already have two young QB's we like. That pick could be used much better to help with depth right away. Taking a S or DT with that pick would make a lot more sense, especially with how you have the rest of our first 4 rounds going.

marshallb
04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
The stadium bill was dealt a huge blow last night. A house committee voted down the bill 9-6.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/House_committee_deals_major_blow_to_Vikings_stadiu m_bill041612?t=2

Sounds like this could get ugly...

russie
04-17-2012, 04:40 PM
sounds like the state of minnesota needs to vote the government people out next election, as the people currently in place make it seem that state doesnt deserve to have an nfl franchise

The_Dude
04-17-2012, 06:50 PM
every member of the legislature is up for re-election. I'm thinking of just a straight anti-incumbent vote based on a number of issues, the stadium being one of them.

The_Dude
04-17-2012, 06:52 PM
2012 Schedule:

Sunday, Sept. 9: vs. Jacksonville, noon, CBS

Sunday, Sept. 16: at Indianapolis, noon, Fox

Sunday, Sept. 23: vs. San Francisco, noon, Fox

Sunday, Sept. 30: at Detroit, noon, Fox

Sunday, Oct. 7: vs. Tennessee, noon, CBS

Sunday, Oct. 14: at Washington, 3:15 p.m., Fox

Sunday, Oct. 21: vs. Arizona, noon, Fox

Thursday, Oct. 25: vs. Tampa Bay, 7:20 p.m., NFL Network

Sunday, Nov. 4: at Seattle, 3:15 p.m., Fox

Sunday, Nov. 11: vs. Detroit, noon, Fox

Sunday, Nov. 18: Bye

Sunday, Nov. 25: at Chicago, noon, Fox

Sunday, Dec. 2: at Green Bay, noon, Fox

Sunday, Dec. 9: vs. Chicago, noon, Fox

Sunday, Dec. 16: at St. Louis, noon, Fox

Sunday, Dec. 23: at Houston, noon, Fox

Sunday, Dec. 30: vs. Green Bay, noon, Fox

hagy34
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Those last six games are brutal. Yikes.

marshallb
04-18-2012, 12:21 PM

Yea, it doesn't look good that's for sure, but at least we have a bye right before it. On top of that, at that point in the season, you have no idea who will be hurt, and with the yearly turnover in the NFL, odds are at least one of those games will be much easier than we think right now.

The_Dude
04-18-2012, 05:49 PM
all i know is that i don't want to go to the Packers game in week 17. Our tickets are right behind the visitor's bench & you normally have to sit with the opposing fans. I'm assuming that game will be ridiculously green & gold with our expectations for this season.

vikes_28
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
all i know is that i don't want to go to the Packers game in week 17. Our tickets are right behind the visitor's bench & you normally have to sit with the opposing fans. I'm assuming that game will be ridiculously green & gold with our expectations for this season.

I'll buy your tickets. My roommate is a huge packers fan and it would be awesome to go.

vikes_28
04-22-2012, 11:15 AM
No decision yet on Jerome Simpson, who continues to meet with Vikings

Jerome Simpson remained in the Twin Cities on Saturday evening as the Minnesota Vikings tried to get to know the athletic receiver whose on-field inconsistency and off-field transgressions have kept him on the free-agent market.

Simpson, 26, arrived at Vikings headquarters on Saturday to meet with team officials and undergo a physical. He was scheduled to stay in town overnight and depart on Sunday unless a deal is reached.

The Vikings, who begin their offseason program on Monday, no doubt are intrigued by Simpson's combination of size (6-foot-2, 190 pounds) and speed (ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds at the 2008 NFL scouting combine). He set career highs with 50 catches for 725 yards and four touchdowns in 16 games (14 starts) last season with Cincinnati.

But Simpson pled guilty on March 1 to a felony charge resulting from about 2 pounds of marijuana being shipped to his northern Kentucky home in September. He was sentenced to 15 days in jail and three years' probation and also could face a suspension under the NFL's substance abuse and/or personal conduct policies.

The Vikings spent much of last season dealing with fallout from another felony case, which ended with Chris Cook's March 15 acquittal on domestic assault charges. So, it's no surprise they're going to extra lengths to vet Simpson before deciding whether to make an offer.

Receiver is one of the Vikings' more prominent needs entering the NFL Draft, which begins on Thursday night. Their only veteran signing this offseason at the position was Bryan Walters, who has spent most of the past two years bouncing on and off San Diego's practice squad.

A second-round draft pick (46th overall) out of Coastal Carolina in 2008, Simpson's NFL career was a resounding disappointment

Link (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/No_decision_yet_on_Jerome_Simpson_who_continues_to _meet_with_Vikings042112)

Vikings4ever
04-22-2012, 12:58 PM
No decision yet on Jerome Simpson, who continues to meet with Vikings

Link (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/No_decision_yet_on_Jerome_Simpson_who_continues_to _meet_with_Vikings042112)

If it's a low risk contract, I'd love Simpson. He has plenty of baggage, but a lot of talent. He could be a good number 2, and would knock down our need of a WR. Still should take one in the draft, but not necessarily on day one or two.

prock
04-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Lots of baggage, but we don't seem to be scared by baggage much. Make it a low risk contract and we might have ourselves an average #2. I'd say jump on him if we can get him cheap.

Maybe adding him will help out with Harvin's migraines too... hehe

prock
04-22-2012, 01:11 PM

Yeah dude, all four Chicago and GB games in the last six weeks is pretty rough. That being said, I could see us being 6-4 by the time we get to those last few games. We could steal one against GB or Chicago, beat STL and we could be 8-8. I think that's a definite possibility.

marshallb
04-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Jay Glazer
‏ @JayGlazer

Vikings have agreed to terms on a one year deal with WR Jerome Simpson. Even tho he's suspended to start the season he's got a lot of talent

Link (https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/status/194829365358493697)

I'm interested to see how this affects our draft plans, maybe knocks WR down a notch on the list of needs...

I like the signing though. Simpson has a lot of talent, and I was high on him when he came out of college a few years ago. I thought he was gonna develop into a stud. I'm kinda surprised we signed him though with his off the field stuff as they had said they were gonna clean up the locker room, but maybe that's not the case. Maybe that opens them up to taking Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd if they're not worrying about off the field stuff?

the_legend_killer
04-24-2012, 11:56 AM
The one-year, low-risk seems to be the way they're going this offseason. Legitimate WR's are needed for sure and the guy has talent. Just has had problems.

RollingMoss
04-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Link (https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/status/194829365358493697)

I'm interested to see how this affects our draft plans, maybe knocks WR down a notch on the list of needs...

I like the signing though. Simpson has a lot of talent, and I was high on him when he came out of college a few years ago. I thought he was gonna develop into a stud. I'm kinda surprised we signed him though with his off the field stuff as they had said they were gonna clean up the locker room, but maybe that's not the case. Maybe that opens them up to taking Janoris Jenkins in the 2nd if they're not worrying about off the field stuff?

Agree with everything you said - and would add that it being a one-year deal could be the best part of it - and pray about the bolded part. Jenkins could end up being a real coup, he's worth the risk.

Then again, it could be that because of adding Simpson, they might determine that they won't want to add another play with "red flags."

I hope it's the former.

hagy34
04-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Please god give us Jenkins in the 2nd.

VikesWookie
04-27-2012, 10:21 PM
jenkins was there for our 2nd round pick. i wonder if smith would've lasted til our 2nd...
there should be some good WR and interior OL depth when we own the late 4th through early 5th round.
i was hoping TY Hilton would last into the late 4th, but there's a bunch of protypical size WR to choose from... Hilton would've been another slot option and with Harvin that's not even close to a need, but i think this guy will be electric...

Vikings4ever
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM
jenkins was there for our 2nd round pick. i wonder if smith would've lasted til our 2nd...

Maybe, maybe not.

But I'd rather have Smith & Robinson than Jenkins & whatever safety was next on the draft board.

hagy34
04-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm hoping for Travis Lewis and Marvin Jones in round 4. Fingers crossed.

VikesWookie
04-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

But I'd rather have Smith & Robinson than Jenkins & whatever safety was next on the draft board.

not neccessarily for the next best safety, but rather for the high 4th rounder expended to move up. who knows :)

russie
04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
http://www.dailynorseman.com/2012/4/28/2984633/minnesota-vikings-running-back-caleb-king-jailed-on-assault-charge

Minnesota Vikings' running back Caleb King, signed by the Vikings and placed on the practice squad shortly after the NFL lockout, was arrested in Anoka County this morning on suspicion of third-degree assault. He is still in the Anoka County Jail at this time.

King applied for last year's Supplemental Draft after the lockout ended, but no team took him during that process, making him an unrestricted free agent. The Vikings later signed him for a $5,000 bonus. He was waived in the final cut down, but remained on the practice squad. He was promoted to the 53-man roster for the season finale, but was not active for the game against the Chicago Bears.

hagy34
04-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Get King outta here. Hes a moron and a wasted talent.

Vikes99ej
04-28-2012, 11:31 PM
I like the first three rounds a lot more than I like the last four. Off the bat I'd give the draft a B-.

russie
04-29-2012, 03:14 PM
undrafted free agents:

Minnesota Vikings
Boise State DT Chase Baker; UCLA RB Derrick Coleman; Florida Atlantic DE Kevin Cyrille; Nicholls State CB Bobby Felder; Bowling Green WR Kamar Jorden; Penn State DE Eric Latimore; Iowa LB Tyler Nielsen; Cal DE Ernest Owusu; Hawaii G Austin Pasztor; North Carolina DT Tydreke Powell; Missouri DT Terrell Resonno; Mississippi State C Quentin Saulsberry; Oregon OT Darrion Weems; South Carolina CB C.C. Whitlock.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828bb384/article/undrafted-freeagent-deals-for-all-32-nfl-teams?module=HP11_content_stream

hagy34
04-29-2012, 06:00 PM
How is Chase Minnefield not on our radar??? I don't get it. Something has to be wrong with the kid.

marshallb
04-29-2012, 07:24 PM
How is Chase Minnefield not on our radar??? I don't get it. Something has to be wrong with the kid.

Minnifield signed with the Redskins pretty much right after the draft ended. I'm guessing part of it has to do with his knee surgery this offseason, and it sounds like there are some questions about how he's recovering from it.

russie
05-01-2012, 05:02 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/01/vikings-say-goodbye-to-caleb-king/

Vikings say goodbye to Caleb King

Posted by Josh Alper on May 1, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT

When running back Caleb King was arrested on charges of third-degree assault with substantial bodily harm over the weekend, it was fair to wonder how much longer the Vikings would keep him around.

Not very long, as it turns out. Jeremy Fowler of the Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings have cut King. King joined the team after going undrafted in the 2011 supplemental draft and spent most of the year on the practice squad.

King was arrested after fracturing the skull of another man at a party early Saturday morning. His victim, Andrew Hayek, is “doing better”, according to his sister, after the attack, which was reportedly precipitated by Hayek telling King that he resembled Eddie Murphy. King was released from jail on Tuesday and charges have not yet been formally filed by the county attorney’s office. They are still investigating the incident, though, so there may be more to come on that front.

BuckNaked
05-01-2012, 07:08 PM
I'd like to see us go after Gaffney now that he's ben released. Hell, even Jacoby Jones.

The_Dude
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
according to reports around here, we'll be saying goodbye to all of the vikings soon enough.....

:facepalm:

thanks a bunch, state legislators. i hope everyone of you get voted out in November.

Vikings4ever
05-01-2012, 09:32 PM
according to reports around here, we'll be saying goodbye to all of the vikings soon enough.....

:facepalm:

thanks a bunch, state legislators. i hope everyone of you get voted out in November.

And just a few weeks ago, there was a plan for a Vikings stadium with no taxpayer money spent.

Jagoffs.

russie
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Vikings may start all-rookie, all-Irish safety tandem

Posted by Evan Silva on May 5, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT

The Vikings traded up into the first round to draft Notre Dame safety Harrison Smith, so they clearly expect him to be an opening day starter.

The Vikings also used a fifth-round pick on Smith’s college teammate, Robert Blanton. Blanton played corner for the Fighting Irish, but has been converted to safety. Blanton possesses safety size at 6-foot-1, 208, and was one of the best tackling defensive backs in college football last season.

Blanton and Smith and are working as the Vikings’ first-team safeties at rookie minicamp, and Dan Wiederer of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune suggests Smith and Blanton could stay there into Week One. Their primary competitors will be underwhelming veterans Jamarca Sanford and Mistral Raymond.

“If you take a look at where we ended the seas0n at the safety position, it’s an open competition,” coach Leslie Frazier confirmed. “… We want to really have an open competition.”

the_legend_killer
05-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Frazier could've added, "Could it be as bad as last year?"

prock
05-05-2012, 02:12 PM
It literally couldn't get worst than Raymond and Sanford, so I say **** it, let the rookies play!

Taber21
05-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Hell, they must have some chemistry playing together for so long already, definitely worth a look.

The Dynasty
05-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Vikings have cut Ryan Longwell today according to ESPN. Not surprised after drafting a rookie Kicker in the 6th round.

vikes_28
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Vikings have cut Ryan Longwell today according to ESPN. Not surprised after drafting a rookie Kicker in the 6th round.

Sad to see him go. One of my favorite players over the last few years.

BuckNaked
05-07-2012, 05:57 PM
I loved Longwell, you knew exactly what you were getting out of him, which was comforting on this team.

prock
05-07-2012, 07:24 PM
I would have rather seen Longwell come into training camp to force some competition. Some lucky team is gonna get a solid kicker. Listening, Redskins/Cowboys?

vikes_28
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
the stadium bill finally made it through the house as i assume you all are aware. the vikings had to increase their share by 100 million.

marshallb
05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
the stadium bill finally made it through the house as i assume you all are aware. the vikings had to increase their share by 100 million.

From what I've heard, that $105 million increase in the Vikings share will likely be negotiated, especially considering that the Senate has a separate, different bill, and if that passes, the bills will have to be worked out in a committee before being put to a final vote. This is a big step though as it has been widely reported that getting it to pass through the House was the biggest challenge.

marshallb
05-09-2012, 01:41 AM
From what I've heard, that $105 million increase in the Vikings share will likely be negotiated, especially considering that the Senate has a separate, different bill, and if that passes, the bills will have to be worked out in a committee before being put to a final vote. This is a big step though as it has been widely reported that getting it to pass through the House was the biggest challenge.

Good news from the Senate as well, as the bill passed the Senate, with an increase to $452 million in the Vikings share, which is significantly lower than the House's: $532 million. That leaves $80 mil to be negotiated in the conference committee, which is made up of 3 members from the house and 3 from the Senate, all 6 of whom voted yes to the bills.

Taber21
05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
We had Rocky MacIntosh in for a visit I guess. He's got a lot of starting experience and played in a 4-3 for a number of years. I'd think he would battle Brinkley for the starting MLB job, with the loser providing needed depth. Of course that would be IF we bring him in, which hasn't happened yet.

yo123
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Good news from the Senate as well, as the bill passed the Senate, with an increase to $452 million in the Vikings share, which is significantly lower than the House's: $532 million. That leaves $80 mil to be negotiated in the conference committee, which is made up of 3 members from the house and 3 from the Senate, all 6 of whom voted yes to the bills.

While both of these have been big steps, both votes were pretty close the first time, and the conference committee is definitely going to come up with a bill with more public funding, maybe causing a few of those yes votes to turn into nos.

And all of this is assuming the bill they agree with is acceptable to the Vikings. There's still a lot of things that can go wrong.

marshallb
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
While both of these have been big steps, both votes were pretty close the first time, and the conference committee is definitely going to come up with a bill with more public funding, maybe causing a few of those yes votes to turn into nos.

And all of this is assuming the bill they agree with is acceptable to the Vikings. There's still a lot of things that can go wrong.

Oh, there definitely is, don't get me wrong, but this is still good news, which is all I was saying.

marshallb
05-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Tom Pelissero
‏ @TomPelissero

Congratulations, #Vikings fans. You're thisclose to every one of your horrible, gut-wrenching memories still hurting for another 30 years.

God dammit. So sad, yet so true.

I know that the bill hasn't passed yet, but it came out of the conference committee in good shape, and the Vikings okayed it, so all that is left are the House and Senate final votes, and the Minneapolis city council vote. Not getting my hopes up too high yet, as our legislators are always good to throw a wrench in the works.

vikes_28
05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
as far as i've heard, this passed through the house again this morning right? So just the senate has to approve it?

yo123
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
Yup, senate is going to vote on it this afternoon then it's just the governor vote, and Dayton has been for it all along.

The_Dude
05-10-2012, 01:57 PM
you forgot about the Minneapolis City Council's vote. And while they previously said that they approved of it, there is no assurance that those assholes will stick to their word. They are the scariest part of the remaining steps, in my opinion.

vikes_28
05-10-2012, 03:06 PM
so the minneapolis city council can basically shut down the entire operation even if the governor signs on it?

yo123
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
you forgot about the Minneapolis City Council's vote. And while they previously said that they approved of it, there is no assurance that those assholes will stick to their word. They are the scariest part of the remaining steps, in my opinion.

Its the scariest because its basically the only step left. Its basically a formality, like you said they already said they would vote for it and they won't deal with the shitstorm it would cause if they were the ones to shut it down after all of this.

Here's to 30 more years and a couple more lost NFC Championship games.

Vikings4ever
05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vikes-owners-hint-retractable-roof-164234341--nfl.html

Minnesota Vikings owners Zygi and Mark Wilf appear to be leaning in favor of a retractable roof for their new stadium.

The brothers scored a major victory on Thursday when they won legislative approval for a publicly subsidized $975 million stadium that is targeted to open in 2016. Lawmakers included a provision that allows for a retractable roof, but made it clear that the Vikings would have to pay the extra costs for it.

The exact price tag isn't currently known. But the Wilfs said Friday that they are exploring the idea. Mark Wilf says they want to make the stadium as attractive to fans as possible. If a retractable roof is the best way to go, he says ''we're going to try to do it.''

vikes_28
05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
:spam: ..........

djp
05-15-2012, 10:39 PM
Sorry to be so late, and to be so inactive on this thread in general, but I'm pretty ******* happy that I don't have to become a Chiefs fan

vikes_28
05-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Sorry to be so late, and to be so inactive on this thread in general, but I'm pretty ******* happy that I don't have to become a Chiefs fan

It sounds cliche but the chiefs are actually my AFC team. I would have been very upset though if the vikings would have left.

The Dynasty
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
It sounds cliche but the chiefs are actually my AFC team. I would have been very upset though if the vikings would have left.

I would have gone with either Jets, Bills or stick with the team most likely. Jets and Bills being my hometown teams.. But Im happy for the state of Minnesota for getting this done because it needed to happen. Imagining the Vikings not be a team and not imagining Packers vs Vikings would be crazy. Can't wait to see this stadium in 2016.

Vikings4ever
05-21-2012, 10:53 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/deep-posts-winslow-not-wanted-tampa-bay-141211429.html

Winslow not wanted in Tampa Bay? Ross Tucker of SIRIUS NFL Radio broke the news on his Twitter account this morning -- while hosting his show and talking to guest Kellen Winslow, Jr., it was revealed that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers under new head coach Greg Schiano want to go in a different direction, and are looking to trade the veteran tight end. Winslow said that he got the news Saturday night -- the Bucs will look to trade him to the right team, and if that doesn't work out (which it won't now ... public knowledge tends to kill trade value), he may be released. Winslow had one of his best seasons in 2010, but declined along with the rest of Tampa Bay's offense in 2011. Schiano may prefer more traditional blocking tight ends in what projects to be a run-heavy offense. He also said that the team was unhappy about his choice to work away from the facility this offseason.

I know we just signed Carlson and drafted Ellison, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikes make a play for him if he's released (or is made available for a very low round pick). He never really lived up to his hype, but he's still a very talented receiver.

prock
05-21-2012, 06:18 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/deep-posts-winslow-not-wanted-tampa-bay-141211429.html

I know we just signed Carlson and drafted Ellison, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikes make a play for him if he's released (or is made available for a very low round pick). He never really lived up to his hype, but he's still a very talented receiver.

Forgot about Rudolph. We don't need a tight end.

vikes_28
05-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Minneapolis City Council OKs Vikings Stadium plan (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Minneapolis-City-Council-OKs-Vikings-stadium-plan-3582760.php)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The $1 billion public-private plan to build a new stadium for the Minnesota Vikings took one of its final steps toward reality Thursday, as a slim majority of the Minneapolis City Council voted in favor of a sales tax shift to help pay for it.

A committee comprised of the entire 13-member council voted 7-6 to make the city a partner in helping the Vikings replace the Metrodome, putting up $150 million for construction and another $159 million in later operating costs. One final council vote is scheduled for Friday by the same group and is all but certain to have the same outcome.

With Mayor R.T. Rybak pushing hard for the stadium, opponents on the council appeared resigned to their loss. But they used the meeting as something of a last stand, blasting the project as corporate welfare disproportionately funded by Minneapolis taxpayers and arguing that residents should have had a voice in a citywide referendum.

"To me this is a very sad day for our city," said Councilwoman Lisa Goodman, who said the stadium's costs to her constituents outweigh its benefits. Goodman said she was ashamed that fellow Democrats, led by Gov. Mark Dayton and Rybak, took the lead in getting the deal done.

Rybak and his backers on the council said it was a good deal for city taxpayers and estimated the project would generate 7,500 construction jobs in the city.

"This is not something that's all about billionaires," Rybak said, in reference to team owners Zygi and Mark Wilf. "This is about lots and lots of people who need work."

The state will pony up $348 million from tax revenue that's projected to come from an expansion of low-stakes gambling in bars. The Vikings are responsible for $477 million, though much of that is likely to come from stadium-related profits, including naming rights, and a contribution from the NFL.

Minneapolis' money will be collected from an existing set of sales taxes, which includes a citywide general sales tax, a downtown restaurant and liquor tax and a hotel room tax. The money generated currently pays debt on construction of the city's convention center. When that obligation is fulfilled in 2020, the taxes will be redirected to paying off stadium debt through 2045.

As part of the deal, Minneapolis will also be able to use another $150 million of those sales tax proceeds to upgrade the aging Target Center basketball arena. Proponents say that will free the city of much of its ongoing financial obligation to Target Center and result in property tax savings for homeowners.

But stadium backers on the council spent more time pitching the creation of construction jobs to an audience of hard-hatted construction workers that filled council chambers during the more than three-hour meeting. Influential unions pushed hard for the stadium plan and were pivotal in lining up council support at a time when it appeared Rybak was having trouble assembling a majority.

"I don't like making rich guys richer," said Councilman Don Samuels, who represents the city's economically challenged north side. "But in this case, while the rich get richer, the poor will get richer too."

Councilman Gary Schiff said the jobs will come at a steep cost to the city's taxpayers. If 7,500 jobs are created, he estimated, the city's total contribution would be about $90,000 per job.

"I just think this is a deal that generations to come will criticize us for," Schiff said.

Dayton and Rybak will soon appoint a five-member "stadium authority" to get the project rolling. Actual construction, at the current Metrodome site, is not likely to get underway until spring of 2013.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/Minneapolis-City-Council-OKs-Vikings-stadium-plan-3582760.php#ixzz1vpjzDvXi

The Dynasty
05-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Asher Allen Retired today according to Leslie Frazier.

vikes_28
05-30-2012, 05:50 PM
oh well, bye asher allen... :wave:

The Dynasty
05-30-2012, 07:24 PM
oh well, bye asher allen... :wave:

Yeah he isn't gonna be a huge lost.. It just sucks because we are so weak at CB.

marshallb
05-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Yeah he isn't gonna be a huge lost.. It just sucks because we are so weak at CB.

He likely would have been a fringe roster guy anyways. Winfield, Cook, Josh Robinson all would have been ahead of him for sure, and then Chris Carr, Zackary Bowman, Burton, and Sherels all would have been even or ahead of him in battle for a roster spot, and you're likely only going to keep 5 or 6 CB anyways.

It's very interesting to see him retire, though. He's just 24 years old and hasn't had any major injuries, but he did suffer 2 reported concussions in his 3 NFL seasons.

prock
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Is he an intelligent dude? Does he have a future in front of him or what?

marshallb
05-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Is he an intelligent dude? Does he have a future in front of him or what?

I don't know, and I'd guess that we'll find out more once Asher talks about it soon as Frazier said he will, but from a quick google search, I've found that he graduated from high school a semester early and enrolled at Georgia in January, and that he was an exercise science major.

yo123
05-31-2012, 12:31 AM

There are probably hundreds of people with Asher Allen's football ability bagging groceries right now, its not a loss at all.

vikes_28
06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
it sounds like antoine winfield is really impressing a lot of people at OTA's. I'm hoping he is back to the way he was a few years ago.

The Dynasty
06-06-2012, 09:12 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-mini-camps/09000d5d8299ce70/Jerome-Simpson-s-sick-catch-at-minicamp?module=HP11_content_stream

Jerome Simpson making a pretty nice catch at practice.

Vikes99ej
06-17-2012, 12:40 AM
Does anyone have any damn idea who is starting at MLB this year? Are we throwing Erin inside? Should we consider putting Chad there?

The Dynasty
06-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Does anyone have any damn idea who is starting at MLB this year? Are we throwing Erin inside? Should we consider putting Chad there?

Im pretty sure we are starting Jasper Brinkley and having Chad and Erin on the outside.

General Zod
06-17-2012, 10:44 AM
Im pretty sure we are starting Jasper Brinkley and having Chad and Erin on the outside.

And I think if Jasper can stay healthy, he can be good at MLB for us.

marshallb
06-17-2012, 05:40 PM
And I think if Jasper can stay healthy, he can be good at MLB for us.

I think he can be a good 2 down guy, but if he's put out there in passing situations, he'll struggle big time.

General Zod
06-17-2012, 11:37 PM
I think he can be a good 2 down guy, but if he's put out there in passing situations, he'll struggle big time.

True, he did struggle in pass coverage. Which I found odd for a guy that was so athletic and quick.

VikesWookie
06-20-2012, 01:12 AM
Harvin's upset... story with legs or just a way to create some national buzz for our beloved purple?

General Zod
06-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Harvin's upset... story with legs or just a way to create some national buzz for our beloved purple?

News is now that he is requesting a trade.

Lovely....

Bixby (Thumper)
06-20-2012, 08:40 AM
Supposedly Percy Harvin's beef with the Vikings has now crossed into irreparable territory. Feel free to send him Philly's way…

vikes_28
06-20-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a feeling he is probably going to hold out. The vikings would be stupid to trade him now with 2 years left on his rookie contract. Of course it could still cause a huge distraction which the vikings don't need right now....

the_legend_killer
06-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Well......piss...

marshallb
06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Well, this was unexpected. I figured that his displeasure stemmed from his contract situation and that he would holdout or at least threaten to, they'd work out a new contract and all would be good, but that doesn't appear to be the case. If you want a new contract, you don't request a trade. That's just not the right way to go about that. We'll see how this plays out though, because as we all know, Harvin is a 24 year old who has done some odd things in the past, and with his injury and character problems doesn't have a whole lot of leverage here.

If we do end up trading him, we should be able to get quite a bit for him based on his talent(although other teams do know about all the other stuff as well), but it would set us back in our rebuilding phase as he was one of the guys who we were going to build around.

Something that I read on twitter that made a lot of sense is that Harvin and Moss are still really close, and Moss was in his ear about Childress in 2010 which lead to Harvin getting in a fight with Childress, so I wonder if Moss in some way, shape, or form has something to do with it as this was how Moss would deal with something like this.

VikesWookie
06-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Supposedly Percy Harvin's beef with the Vikings has now crossed into irreparable territory. Feel free to send him Philly's way…

riiiiight!
as if philly has the gumption to give another big contract out for a slot/hybrid-type player with some baggage. lol

if i were spielman i'd dish his ungrateful butt for not keeping things in-house... no reason to spout off to your twitter jackals. i love his skillset, can't stand the primaddona, horsechit attitude.

it seems as if no players ever pro-rate their contracts in their minds. "i'm only making 550K this year... i'm being underpaid" - nevermind the signing and roster bonuses. i know he's still on his rookie contract, but then again he's not topped 1,000 yards yet and continues to have little knick-knack injuries and migraines... not a safe gamble with two years still left on his deal. he gets through this year, performs admirably and stays on the field, then sure give him a big contract next offseason.

vikes_28
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like Harvin requesting a trade was a bunch of BS. He returned to practice yesterday and reports said he seemed pretty happy.

marshallb
06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Sounds like Harvin requesting a trade was a bunch of BS. He returned to practice yesterday and reports said he seemed pretty happy.

IDK...It was reported by several reputable sources. It wasn't just one guy saying so. I think he hoped it would be kept quiet and he would just say he was unhappy, and then when that didn't happen and he realized they weren't going to grant it to him that he would have to act like nothing happened and show up and do his work.

Vikings4ever
07-07-2012, 01:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8138600/minnesota-vikings-adrian-peterson-faces-resisting-arrest-charge

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson was jailed in Houston overnight Friday on a resisting-arrest charge, ESPN has confirmed through police records.

Peterson remained in custody Saturday afternoon in the city jail as he awaited his release on a $1,000 bond, the Houston Chronicle reported, citing Houston police.

vikes_28
07-07-2012, 04:47 PM
:facepalm: dafuq?

Dr. Gonzo
07-07-2012, 04:51 PM
**** the police!

FuzzyGopher
07-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Everson Griffen to enter camp at linebacker. Could be an interesting move if they use him properly and rush him off the edge a lot. It'll be nice to see him get a decent amount of playing time too.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Slimmer_Everson_Griffen_ready_to_go_as_Vi kings_linebacker070912

djp
07-24-2012, 06:21 PM
Shiancoe to New England. Will miss his consistent effort and intensity no matter what the Vikings record was. You win with guys like that

BuckNaked
07-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Shiancoe to New England. Will miss his consistent effort and intensity no matter what the Vikings record was. You win with guys like that

Guy's got a huge dong.

marshallb
07-26-2012, 11:58 AM
The Vikings announced that Kalil signed, no terms reported yet, but with players reporting for camp today, it looks like everyone will be there with no holdouts.

I'm expecting to be going to Mankato either early next week or the week after that for 2 days with my dad and staying in a hotel overnight.

vikes_28
07-27-2012, 05:23 PM

I still hate the patriots.

The_Dude
08-05-2012, 08:04 AM
http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Vikings_receiver_Greg_Childs_carted_off_with_appar ent_leg_injury080412

MANKATO, Minn. -- Greg Childs screamed in pain as he hit the ground and left the field on a cart after suffering what two NFL sources said late Saturday night were believed to be significant injuries to both of his knees, likely ending his season.

Results of an MRI were not available as of midnight, hours after the rookie receiver was injured on the penultimate play of the Minnesota Vikings' annual night practice at Blakeslee Stadium.

But sources said Childs' knees were swollen and the worst-case scenario was he might have ligament damage in addition to tearing both of his patella tendons -- the same injury he suffered to one of his knees as a junior at the University of Arkansas in 2010.

Childs was leaping for a deep ball thrown by McLeod Bethel-Thompson when he hit the ground hard and untouched, with cornerback Corey Gatewood trailing the play. His left knee appeared to take the brunt of the impact, but he initially grabbed his right knee as he rolled to his side.

Lying near the front corner of the end zone, Childs immediately began screaming and four members of the Vikings' medical staff, including head athletic trainer Eric Sugarman, rushed to his side. He eventually was lifted onto a cart and left the field, raising a hand briefly to acknowledge fans yelling to him from the stands.

Coach Leslie Frazier said he had no information after practice, which ended one play after Childs' injury.

"You just hate to see any player go down for any reason," Frazier said. "Greg has struggled with injuries, as we all know, coming out of college. But hopefully, things will work out and it's nothing serious."

A fourth-round draft pick, Childs missed much of the offseason after straining a calf in the rookie minicamp. But he'd flashed some of his potential in camp earlier this week -- most notably, making a sensational catch around cornerback Brandon Burton's head on Thursday.

If healthy, Childs was expected to be in the mix to start at split end while Jerome Simpson serves his three-game suspension.

"Tough," quarterback Christian Ponder said. "I don't know what happened, but obviously, he was holding his knee. So, that's never a good thing. It's unfortunate. We saw some of those plays that he made a couple days ago."

Bummer. I had high hopes for Childs as the #3 WR &the guy who would fill in during the Simpson suspension.

J-Mike88
08-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Pro Football Weekly‏@ProFootballWkly

RT @VikingsFootball: Update: #Vikings rookie WR Greg Childs suffered a torn patellar tendon on his right and left knees last night. (1/2)

-I ****ing hate knee injuries, and the patellar is the worst, as Ryan Williams of the Cardinals found out last year in preseason on his first ever carry.

prock
08-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Unfortunate. Wonder what we will do to fill that spot now, especially while Simpson is suspended.

FuzzyGopher
08-05-2012, 11:33 AM
3 Patella tears in a couple of years? Bleh, his career could be over before it even begins.

djp
08-05-2012, 02:02 PM
3 Patella tears in a couple of years? Bleh, his career could be over before it even begins.

Yep, I'm afraid so. Two catastrophic injuries to both knees on the same play? Man, such a bummer. Gotta feel for the guy.

Vikings4ever
08-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Unfortunate. Wonder what we will do to fill that spot now, especially while Simpson is suspended.

I suppose Jenkins, Aromashodu, and Arceneaux battle for the interim WR2 spot, Simpson pushes everyone down a spot (except Wright if he plays well enough to be trusted in the slot), and bottom man on the totem pole gets cut.

BuckNaked
08-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Let's get Plaxico! We've been lacking street cred since over post-love boat overhaul.

J-Mike88
08-05-2012, 05:29 PM
Let's get Plaxico! We've been lacking street cred since over post-love boat overhaul.
Anybody ready for some popcorn?
The SuperFreak came back, why not the Popcorn-maker?

http://tophatal1.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/a-joyful-owens-celebrates-after-a-touchdown-during-an-nfl-game.jpg

marshallb
08-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Yea, it's terrible to hear about Childs. He's got insane talent and is a hard worker, but he's had some ****** luck with injuries and that's one thing that you can't control. I wish him luck in his recovery, but it's gonna be a long road, especially considering that the recovery time back to full strength from one torn patella tendon is 18 months, and when you consider that he's gotta come back from 2 at the same time, and 2 in the same knee in the past 2 years...let's just say he's got his work cut out for him if he wants to have an NFL career.

J-Mike88
08-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Anybody ready for some popcorn?
The SuperFreak came back, why not the Popcorn-maker?

http://tophatal1.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/a-joyful-owens-celebrates-after-a-touchdown-during-an-nfl-game.jpg
OK, too late.
Amazing Seattle scooped him up. Pete Carroll.
Let's see if Matt Flynn, or Russell Wilson, Tarvarris can handle him.

vikes_28
08-10-2012, 12:39 PM
First preseason game tonight. I'm excited, anyone else?

The Dynasty
08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
First preseason game tonight. I'm excited, anyone else?

Yeah Im excited to see how Ponder performs against one of the top defenses last year even if its preseason. Also want to see how the secondary does. I heard the starters are going to play around a quarter tonight.

vikes_28
08-10-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm not too thrilled about our starting safeties being Raymond/Sanford. I know it's an unofficial depth chart and only pre-season....

prock
08-10-2012, 01:32 PM
I bet Smith will start.

vikes_28
08-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm actually digging the way the uniforms look with the purple cut off on the collar (I wasn't before). looks pretty badass. We'll see how it looks on the home uniform

vikes_28
08-10-2012, 08:08 PM
nice pass by ponder.

Taber21
08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
So we officially took AP off the pup list, meaning he cannot start the regular season on the list, not that any of us have expected him to. Great sign that he has proved to the coaches he is healthy enough to start practicing with the team, and potentially get some game action in during the pre season.

prock
08-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Missed the game. Anyone wanna give an overview?

Vikings4ever
08-18-2012, 11:16 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/18/london-calling-for-the-vikings/

The good news for Minnesotans is that the Vikings will be staying put for the long haul. The bad news for Minnesotans is that, with the team soon to be playing home games at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota, the Vikings have become a candidate to play one home game per year in London.

Brian Murphy of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings are the “top candidate” to host games in Wembley Stadium over the next four seasons.

“We’ve expressed an interest, and there’s a process the league is following,” team V.P. of public affairs and stadium development Lester Bagley said. “We’ll see how it shakes out.”

The Dynasty
08-18-2012, 12:57 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1160434/simpson.gif

As for the game, Ponder looked good and so did our defense. A lot better than last week. Mistral Raymond impressed me, he was around the ball and making tackles left and right. Jerome Simpson is going to help a lot this year. Percy looked good like always. The bad things I saw were the interior linemen for the offense. They were getting killed by Dareus and Williams. Also idk if its a real huge need but the 3rd string rb battle is horrific to watch.

prock
08-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Well those were two pretty awful drives.

Jvig43
08-27-2012, 01:37 PM
So may be a stupid question, but is Gerhart the second rb for you guys? I'm thinking of picking him up in case Peterson can't go full season, and at the least I know his work load wont be what it was last year to start. Good or bad decision to pick him up?

The Dynasty
08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
So may be a stupid question, but is Gerhart the second rb for you guys? I'm thinking of picking him up in case Peterson can't go full season, and at the least I know his work load wont be what it was last year to start. Good or bad decision to pick him up?

If you are hoping to start him on a regular basis then I wouldn't do it. Peterson will still be the work horse, he'll get 20-25 carries a game. First couple weeks it will be less so if you need someone for the first couple weeks, it will be a good pick up. It really depends on who you are going to cut to get Gerhart. He will probably average 10-15 carries a game but I don't think he would be our goal line back.

Dr. Gonzo
08-27-2012, 02:09 PM

He is the backup but unless Peterson gets injured he will be useless to you. Great handcuff but I do think once AD is back he is going full season unless he is injured again.

Jvig43
08-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Yeah I was basically thinking of picking him up in case AD goes down. But thanks guys.

yo123
09-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Did we really need to keep 4 TE's? Seems excessive.

marshallb
09-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Did we really need to keep 4 TE's? Seems excessive.

Ehhh...Musgrave likes his TEs, and with Simpson suspended, I'm guessing we'll be running 2 TE sets even more, and with Carlson not being completely healthy it makes some sense.

vikes_28
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/408193_10151156507396100_2093675786_n.jpg

yo123
09-09-2012, 11:14 PM
As discouraging as it was to completely tank almost the whole first half and to blow the late lead there are definitely some good things we can take from this game, mainly Ponder looking very good and the fact that AD at 80% is still better than 95% of the RB's in the league. The defense looked pretty bad though, that needs to improve. I like how the offense is coming together but we're not going to win many shootouts.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Feels so good going to bed knowing we won today. God it's such a great feeling.

marshallb
09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Feels so good going to bed knowing we won today. God it's such a great feeling.

Yup. It was a damn exciting, albeit at many times very ugly, game. I am getting the feeling that this year will be a lot like last year, a lot of close games, and how we do this season will be decided by how we do in those, and I thought after the late TD pass by Gabbert that we were headed down the same road as last year. 9 of our 13 losses last year were by 7 points or less, and the only ones that weren't were at Chicago, at Green Bay, at Atlanta, and home against New Orleans. This team is built to play close games again, and if they're to improve this year, they'll have to do much better than a 2-9 record in one score games, and this was a good start in that direction, even if it was against Jacksonville, at the dome, in overtime, and anything else anyone throws out there to knock this win.

No matter the record, what I envision is a team with many bright spots, but lacking greatly in a couple key areas which will likely haunt the end of season record again, although I see no way in which the Vikings end up as bad as the 3-13 record they had last season. I'm trying not to be too optimistic, but unless the unexpected happens(which knowing the Vikings history, it probably will), it looks like the rebuilding process is off to a good start and even in the tough NFC North may not take as long as many "experts" have suggested.

vikes_28
09-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Ponder to Rudolph all season.

General Zod
09-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Oh yes, cant wait till tomorrow...
Front row visitors side. :-)
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/391389_401728126556356_1951252336_n.jpg

vikes_28
09-16-2012, 10:04 AM
You lucky duck...

prock
09-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Oh yes, cant wait till tomorrow...
Front row visitors side. :-)
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/391389_401728126556356_1951252336_n.jpg

http://www.whosay.com/minnesotavikings/photos/226022

Is this you?

vikes_28
09-20-2012, 11:47 AM
This weeks game could get ugly. I love our offense, but the 9ers defense is just so incredibly good. I would be lying if I said I was excited to watch this game...

The Dynasty
09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
This weeks game could get ugly. I love our offense, but the 9ers defense is just so incredibly good. I would be lying if I said I was excited to watch this game...

Yeah its not gonna be pretty on our end. I just hope we can at least look decent on both side of the ball. Ponder hasn't thrown a INT yet so hopefully that can stand but unlikely.

vikes_28
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Ponder leads the league in completion percentage. Win.

FuzzyGopher
09-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Ponder could very well be pronounced legally dead by the time this game is over. 9ers win via rape.

vikes_28
09-25-2012, 10:21 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/308285_391689254234882_1435823395_n.jpg

marshallb
09-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Vikings waived TE Allen Reisner today in order to make room on the roster for Jerome Simpson.

yo123
10-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Not that I necessarily think we're good enough to look ahead this far but if we want any shot at making the playoffs we probably have to be 7-3 or 8-2 going into the bye week. After that we have the Bears twice, the Packers twice, @Houston and @St. Louis. Wow.

prock
10-05-2012, 12:06 AM
I ain't scurred. Chicago might turn out to be injured or overrated. The Packers aren't the best team in the NFC. Houston is a loss. The Rams might go back to doing Rams things by then as well.

yo123
10-05-2012, 02:19 AM
Chicago might turn out to be injured or overrated.

So could we.

The Packers aren't the best team in the NFC.

Neither are we.

prock
10-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Doesn't mean you chalk them up to losses.

yo123
10-05-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm definitely not, that's a brutal schedule though, you can't deny that. I doubt anyone else has an end of season schedule as tough as that.

yo123
10-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Also, you're not going to find a more obvious trap game than tomorrow. I hope I'm wrong but I'm pretty nervous. I actually think I'd rather play Locker than Hasselbeck, it seems like veteran QB's like that always do well against us.

vikes_28
10-06-2012, 11:23 PM
yeah i'm a bit worried about tomorrow as well. Of course I was worried about the san francisco game as well as the detroit game. So I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

yo123
10-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Already one more win than last year. Crazy things happening right now.

I remember when I was super upset that we took Percy over Michael Oher. :facepalm: If the season ended today he'd have to get a few MVP votes.

marshallb
10-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Already one more win than last year. Crazy things happening right now.

I remember when I was super upset that we took Percy over Michael Oher. :facepalm: If the season ended today he'd have to get a few MVP votes.

Oh yea. I was right there with you, although my feeling was that LT was a bigger need and that there was no way in hell that Childress would use a guy like Harvin properly, and it's actually fairly safe to say that he didn't, but has instead really broken out with Musgrave as the play caller. Still, though, Harvin has been as good as he could possibly be. There are very few non-QB who I would take over Harvin right now.

Vikings4ever
10-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Oh yea. I was right there with you, although my feeling was that LT was a bigger need and that there was no way in hell that Childress would use a guy like Harvin properly, and it's actually fairly safe to say that he didn't, but has instead really broken out with Musgrave as the play caller. Still, though, Harvin has been as good as he could possibly be. There are very few non-QB who I would take over Harvin right now.

At the time, McKinnie was playing semi-competently, so LT wasn't a big need, but RT was. At the time, I really wanted Oher, but in retrospect, Harvin was 100% the right choice.

marshallb
10-07-2012, 10:23 PM
At the time, McKinnie was playing semi-competently, so LT wasn't a big need, but RT was. At the time, I really wanted Oher, but in retrospect, Harvin was 100% the right choice.

Ehhh...By that time I had developed a scathing hatred for McKinnie, so I wanted him replaced or at the very least kicked over to RT where his inability to stop speed rushers wouldn't be as big of a problem.

yo123
10-08-2012, 01:03 PM
No suspension or fine for Harrison Smith.

marshallb
10-08-2012, 02:15 PM
No suspension or fine for Harrison Smith.

That's good to hear. It would have been ******** for him to be suspended another game on top of missing almost the whole game yesterday. I did expect a small-ish fine though, just because that's something you absolutely cannot do. I'm guessing the NFL figured he was punished enough by having to sit out the rest of the game as well as it was a very slight push and the ref had been holding onto him for quite awhile.

yo123
10-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Kind of surprised that he didn't get fined as well but Borat pointed out in the gameday thread that Justin Smith did the same thing a few years back with no penalty.

I have to say at the risk of sounding biased that I agree. 15 yard penalty fine but even getting ejected for that is kind of weak. You have to be smarter than that though.

Vikings4ever
10-11-2012, 06:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/11/everson-griffen-leaves-team-after-sudden-death-of-mother/

Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen will be away from the team, after the sudden and unexpected death of his mother on Wednesday.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said Griffen’s mother was visiting her son in the Twin Cities when she died. The cause is not yet known. The Vikings were in meetings when Eden Prairie contacted the Vikings, and broke the news to Griffen.

“As you can imagine, it was tough,” Frazier said, via Judd Zulgad of 1500ESPN.com. “There was nothing that could have prepared him for that news. He wasn’t here [Thursday]. I’m not sure what his status will be going forward.

marshallb
10-11-2012, 11:10 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/11/everson-griffen-leaves-team-after-sudden-death-of-mother/

Sad news there. Just terrible to hear.

Vikings discussing extension with Loadholt (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_With_8M_under_cap_Vikings_talk_deal_with _Phil_Loadholt101112)

Not sure how I feel about this. Loadholt has been pretty good this year, but in the past he's struggled with holding and false starts, and he's also struggled big time with speed rushers. This quote sums up how I feel about him pretty much perfectly:

"I would say (Loadholt)'s average, the middle of the pack," the personnel man said. "He is what he is at this stage. I don't think there's any more ascending potential. Resourceful player you can compete with as a starter. We know what his strengths and his weaknesses are.

"I think you can play with him as a starter, but I don't think you could play with five Phil Loadholts across the board and expect to be highly productive on the offensive line, because he does have some physical limitations."

As long as the deal is fairly cheap, and it should be as Pelissero points out, only 10 RTs make more than $3 mil per year, then I'd be okay with it.

The Dynasty
10-14-2012, 12:22 PM
So looks like we will be playing in London next September according to Adam Schefter.

marshallb
10-14-2012, 12:27 PM
So looks like we will be playing in London next September according to Adam Schefter.

That was rumored this spring/summer when the new stadium was agreed to be built. They figured that one of the home games would be played there possibly in 2013 and 2014 while the stadium was being built. I'm okay with it since I'm not a season ticket holder or anything like that, but I could see those guys being pissed with losing a game.

EDIT: I hate playing these late games.

The Dynasty
10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
That was rumored this spring/summer when the new stadium was agreed to be built. They figured that one of the home games would be played there possibly in 2013 and 2014 while the stadium was being built. I'm okay with it since I'm not a season ticket holder or anything like that, but I could see those guys being pissed with losing a game.

EDIT: I hate playing these late games.

Yeah, I mean it doesnt affect me either because I live in New York but I just hate these games out of the USA. I think they are a waste of time. England is a Soccer and Rugby country.. Most of the people there could care less about our Football.

yo123
10-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Being that I figured that game was over when it was 31-12 I like that we were able to make that a game. Red zone possessions ending in FG's did us in.

Oh and RGIII. Because that dude is really good.

Vikes99ej
10-14-2012, 06:57 PM
I have a feeling RGIII is going to do to a lot of teams what he did to us.

Have to give a lot of props to Everson Griffen for suiting up today.

marshallb
10-14-2012, 07:10 PM
Being that I figured that game was over when it was 31-12 I like that we were able to make that a game. Red zone possessions ending in FG's did us in.

Oh and RGIII. Because that dude is really good.

That's one thing, is that this team doesn't quit. Just like the Indy game, down big and they kept fighting and got themselves back within striking distance. Not getting at least one TD in the first quarter really hurt, but even more so was how ****** they played in the second and third quarters hurt even more. The Redskins outscored them 24-3 and outgained them 240-76 in the 2nd and third quarters.

Meh. I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't impressed with RGIII as a passer. He can run, that's for damn sure, but almost all of his success passing the ball came off of play actions with all those zone reads that the defense could not stop. The linebackers were biting up to stop all those runs and that opened up the middle. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm guessing that over 100 of his 182 passing yards came on those plays. He didn't take any big hits this game, but if he runs as much, especially off of those zone reads, he's gonna take a lot of big hits which with a guy as thin as he is, will lead to a lot of injuries, ala Vick, which means games missed because of injuries, years off your career, and the possibility for a career ending injury.

yo123
10-14-2012, 07:14 PM
We did make it really easy on him as a passer, but these are the plays they've been running all year, and they've been working against almost everyone. There's no reason to change the gameplan that's been working. I think he's going to be able to make the throws he needs to when defenses start to adjust, if his college play is any indication.

It took us WAY too long to adjust to those in routes though. That was ridiculous. He would take the shotgun snap, look at one receiver and he'd be wide open on a 12 yard in route. It was ridiculous that we kept our CB's playing the way we did.

marshallb
10-14-2012, 07:58 PM
We did make it really easy on him as a passer, but these are the plays they've been running all year, and they've been working against almost everyone. There's no reason to change the gameplan that's been working. I think he's going to be able to make the throws he needs to when defenses start to adjust, if his college play is any indication.

It took us WAY too long to adjust to those in routes though. That was ridiculous. He would take the shotgun snap, look at one receiver and he'd be wide open on a 12 yard in route. It was ridiculous that we kept our CB's playing the way we did.

Well yea, I'm not saying that it doesn't work/that they need to change their offense, but what I'm saying is that his passing didn't impress me today. Could he make adjustments as defenses adjust and stop that? Maybe, his college play was good, but how many QBs have had major success in spread systems in college but never adjusted to pocket passing in the NFL? Plenty. Hell, in recent years Vince Young was a top pick and looked great as a rookie in a similar offense but never adjusted once it came time to stand in the pocket and throw. Cam Newton looked amazing as a rookie in a spread-esque offense extremely similar to what the Skins are running, but he's struggling mightily this year as defenses are adjusting and the Panthers are also trying to transition to more of an NFL offense.

Griffin is a hell of an athlete and has all the talent in the world, but it's far from a certainty that he becomes a great QB in a pro style offense and if he continues playing in a spread offense where he's running a lot, he's going to take a lot of big hits(which I went into in depth in my last post, so I won't here).

I definitely agree, though, that the way the Vikes defense played them was piss poor. Alan Williams has done a hell of a job this season, but today not quite so much. The defense just shut them down in the first quarter and did well from late 3rd on minus RGIII's big run, but in between they looked terrible and didn't adjust to stop the zone read or the PA off the zone read. I have no idea why they had the corners playing off instead of up jamming at the line, especially Chris Cook, who is at his best when he's in press. That would take some pressure off the linebackers who wouldn't have to worry about the wide receivers getting on them so quick across the middle and it would have allowed them to play a little closer to the line to stop the zone read better.

vikes_28
10-16-2012, 05:45 PM
how do the season ticket holders here feel about the vikings playing a game in london next year?

Vikes99ej
10-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Awesome game by AD and the defense. Harrison Smith was an extremely underrated pick. Got to give Spielman credit for that call.

Ponder looks like he has really regressed since the start of this season. I don't know what it is. He should be throwing the ball away or taking sacks on some of those throws.

The Dynasty
10-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Awesome game by AD and the defense. Harrison Smith was an extremely underrated pick. Got to give Spielman credit for that call.

Ponder looks like he has really regressed since the start of this season. I don't know what it is. He should be throwing the ball away or taking sacks on some of those throws.

Yeah it looks like he feels like he has to make the play when he doesn't. Sometimes throwing the ball out of bounds is the best play. Also we dodged a bullet with the end of the 1st half.. We should have just kneed the ball down and went into half time. Bad judgement on the Coaching Staff and Ponder on that one.

yo123
10-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Ponder didn't play well. But let's please not ignore the fact that he had absolutely no time to throw all game long. As solid as the run blocking was the pass blocking was just atrocious.

And we made very little effort to get Harvin the ball, did we run a single screen for him? Didn't get that at all.

But good teams find ways to win even when they don't play their best. It wasn't pretty but it counts just the same.

Vikes99ej
10-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Arizona has a terrifying defensive line that is one of the best in the league. I'll chalk it up to that. Still not very impressed with the line though. Still hope we continue to make it a priority in the first three rounds of the draft next year. Johnson and Fusco leave much to be desired.

yo123
10-22-2012, 01:56 AM
One thing we're doing better than I can remember us doing in recent memory is kick/punt coverage. Kluwe has been kinda ****** distance wise but he's angling his kicks to the corners and our coverage is doing a fantastic job of keeping contain and keeping the returner on the short side of the field.

djp
10-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Ponder was simply horrible yesterday. You can blame the OL all you want, but there's no way we can hold on to any playoff spot when he plays like that. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad mobility, bad everything. I don't think he made a single positive play the entire game. We were extremely lucky that Arizona's offense is as bad as it is.

As good as Ponder looked early on in the season, I'm worried/convinced that he's regressing again and we are headed to a late season disaster collapse. It's just completely obvious decisions that he is getting wrong and it's fairly concerning.

marshallb
10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Ponder was simply horrible yesterday. You can blame the OL all you want, but there's no way we can hold on to any playoff spot when he plays like that. Bad throws, bad decisions, bad mobility, bad everything. I don't think he made a single positive play the entire game. We were extremely lucky that Arizona's offense is as bad as it is.

As good as Ponder looked early on in the season, I'm worried that he's regressing again.

Yup. The OL wasn't good, but there's no way you can blame his performance on the OL or the play calling for that matter. My only complaint with the play calling was I'd have liked to have seen a screen or two for Harvin which has worked so well, but I'm glad that rode Peterson as he was damn good. The silver lining in all this is that Arizona's defense is damn good, and you have to give them credit where it's due.

The good news was that we still won the game despite it being ugly. Last year's team couldn't/didn't do that despite many chances with all the close games we played.

yo123
10-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Ponder sucked, I'm not solely blaming the O-line. Why can't it be both? I have little doubt we would have thrown for more than 54 yards if Ponder had more than 2 seconds to throw on any given play.

The Cards pass rush killed us and the blitz pickup was pretty damn pathetic too.

marshallb
10-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Ponder sucked, I'm not solely blaming the O-line. Why can't it be both? I have little doubt we would have thrown for more than 54 yards if Ponder had more than 2 seconds to throw on any given play.

The Cards pass rush killed us and the blitz pickup was pretty damn pathetic too.

Ehhh...I thought the OL was bad, but a high percentage of it was on Ponder. He's also in charge of changing the protection to pick up those blitzes, so that falls on him too. Plus, he stood in the pocket too long several times when there were lanes for him to step up or out. It wasn't the OL's fault at all that he decided to make those two stupid throws that turned into picks, which should have hurt more than they did only leading to 7 points instead of the 10 that it should have, and going into the half up 14-7 is a different feeling than 14-10 with them adding points right before the half when they shouldn't have had a chance. In the first 4 games, Ponder would have taken the sack or just thrown it away in those situations, and that was what was leading to so much praise, but over the past 3 games, he's reverted back to taking stupid risks in situations like that. That and he was earning praise for converting on third downs, of which they went 1 for 10 yesterday. I'm not saying it's all on Ponder, but a huge chunk of it is.

marshallb
10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Cook is out 7 to 8 weeks (https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/261884616116412416)

Actually broke his arm (https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/261884215036112896)

Vikes99ej
10-26-2012, 12:55 PM
What an absolute nightmare. Things could not have gone any worse.

vikes_28
10-26-2012, 02:21 PM
damn that sucks.

djp
10-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Any chance there's enough in the budget to re-sign Harvin and sign Mike Wallace as a UFA this offseason? Steelers aren't going to franchise him according to Jason La Canfora. Could use either Wallace or Dwayne Bowe.

Taber21
10-28-2012, 03:58 PM
We had what, $9mil in cap space to start the season? With however many contracts we have expiring, the cap space is certainly there. The question becomes how much does it hurt our depth for next season, and who might be up for resigning the next couple years after that we might need the extra space to keep.

vikes_28
10-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Isn't Jared Allen a FA next year as well? I would love to get either Wallace or Bowe.

Vikings4ever
10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
Isn't Jared Allen a FA next year as well? I would love to get either Wallace or Bowe.

No, he's signed through next year. Getting 14 mil.

General Zod
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I want us to win. Its nice to not be a doormat team in the NFL. And I of course am super critical at times. But for those who are overly negative all the time, just remember that this team was only suppose to win maybe 6 games tops this season.

This team from last year is improved in almost every area. It looks like right now we had a strong draft. I guess I read some stuff on other more "casual" forums and people are so negative all the time. Jesus lighten up people. lol

The Dynasty
11-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I want us to win. Its nice to not be a doormat team in the NFL. And I of course am super critical at times. But for those who are overly negative all the time, just remember that this team was only suppose to win maybe 6 games tops this season.

This team from last year is improved in almost every area. It looks like right now we had a strong draft. I guess I read some stuff on other more "casual" forums and people are so negative all the time. Jesus lighten up people. lol

Yeah we do have some pessimistic people on here. I thought the Vikings were only going to win 4 games this whole year and beating the Niners was huge. Im just hoping we can go 2-4 in the last six games and go 8-8 at the worst. Even if we don't make the playoffs, this season is a success and a step in the right direction for our young team.

Also Ray Edwards was cut today. Good thing we didnt pay him that huge contract like the Falcons.

the_legend_killer
11-13-2012, 02:38 PM
At the beginning of the year I thought the Vikings would go 6-10. Now they are 6-4 at the bye week, so my expectations have changed slightly. I'd love to see them make a run at the playoffs (and will be rooting for them to do so), but will try not to lose sight on the fact they've already doubled their win total from last year with a still flawed team.

Right now if I had to guess, I think they'll finish 8-8. I think they can beat St. Louis and they'll take one of their final four games against Chicago or Green Bay, probably a home one.

But I hope I am wrong and they do much better than that!

prock
11-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm super pumped for a bye this week. We need it going into this stretch.

General Zod
11-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Im curios to see how they work Jarius Wright into the offense with Percy back after the bye.

djp
11-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Im curios to see how they work Jarius Wright into the offense with Percy back after the bye.

The way Carlson run blocked last game, I doubt Wright gets in the game if Harvin is healthy. Guy was a monster sealing off the edge. Bill Musgrave has made it pretty known that he loves the Ace set in terms of the running game.

Perhaps he'll get some burn if Frazier decides he actually wants a vertical threat outside and sits the Aromashadu/Jenkins platoon that has been nothing short of awful this season.

The Dynasty
12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
So what are the chances of Adrian averaging 138.5 yards the next 4 games to get to 2000 yards?

the_legend_killer
12-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Bears/Rams/Texans/Packers down the stretch? I'd say that's a high average to get, but I don't think I'd ever doubt Peterson could do it.

Today was kind of the tipping point with me on Ponder. I went from "He's a young QB, he should improve to" to "Quit making the same mistakes over and over and over and over." He just has no ability to stay in the pocket and go through his reads. He looks at his first read and if it's not there, he panics and messes up his footing. He needs to start showing some legitimate progression, or the Vikings are in the same boat they've been in for the past countless years: Looking for a franchise QB.

the_legend_killer
12-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Also, I don't see a Pack/Vikes gameday thread amongst the Vikings (And I don't think the Packers fans will care about my Viking-sided rants), so I guess here's a good spot for this.

Offense
- Adrian Peterson is a man. Just a straight up man. Nothing else needs to be said there.
- Kyle Rudolph is certainly a cornerstone for this offense now and going forward, but the other collection of stiffs in the receiving core (I'm looking at you Jenkins, Aromashodu, Burton) need to hit the road. The struggles in the passing game aren't fully on the QB or receivers, but they are both doing pretty terrible right now.
- One more Ponder thought. He seems really easy to rattle. Games where he starts quick (See wins against Detroit, SF) he plays pretty well. Games where the Vikings don't, it carries over for the whole damn game.

Defense
- Defense played pretty well I thought, better than I anticipated. They were on the field way too long and to only give up 23 points against Green Bay was a pleasant surprise.
- Harrison Smith is a keeper. Guy is all over the place and is a solid tackler.

Special Teams
- Walsh's miss was the official nail in the coffin of the game, but he hasn't missed much so I can't really get too upset. Hopefully it's not a carryover kind of thing. (He has missed kicks in each of the past two games)

Overall, QB and WRs need to get their damn heads on straight. If not, this season could end up really ugly.

vikes_28
12-02-2012, 10:58 PM
The thing i'm nervous about down the road is this: Do the vikings drop a bunch of money in a big name WR as a weapon for Ponder? I'm getting the feeling that most of the vikings fanbase is getting pretty tired of ponder making silly mistakes. The throw across his body that was picked off in the endzone was what he has been doing all year.

The Dynasty
12-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah I would love to see Ponder with a deep threat but If he keeps making these stupid ass throws then I highly doubt we see that. The only big deep threat in FA I would like is Bowe but he will be asking a lot I'm sure.

General Zod
12-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Im pretty sure that Spielman wont spend a bunch of money on a free agent WR. I think they will probably do something to address it via the draft or maybe sign some lower tier guys. Molassas Mike, Jerome Simpson, Devin Aromasasasadu, Stephon Burton. Im so over these guys. Outside of Percy and Jaruis Wright, I wouldnt care if they cleaned house on this group.

djp
12-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Im pretty sure that Spielman wont spend a bunch of money on a free agent WR. I think they will probably do something to address it via the draft or maybe sign some lower tier guys. Molassas Mike, Jerome Simpson, Devin Aromasasasadu, Stephon Burton. Im so over these guys. Outside of Percy and Jaruis Wright, I wouldnt care if they cleaned house on this group.

Yeah, we obviously want to surround Ponder with the best talent possible, but at what point does a QB finally say, "Okay, I've got what I need".. he's got the best RB, best slot WR, a very solid TE, and a decent enough OL to be successful yet he has progressively gotten worse and worse as the season has went along. Sure, he doesn't have a deep threat, but teams have gotten along just fine without one if the QB is good enough. Ponder isn't, and it's time to start evaluating other options. That pick across his body was the straw that broke the camel's back, to me. You're on the road, in a virtual must win game, and you make literally the only play that you CANNOT make.

General Zod
12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I think what also makes Ponder play so frustrating is that when he is on and having a good game, he can be very accurate and play very smart. But good lord when he is off he is terrible. lol

Kinda reminds me of Rex Grossman, just minus the arm strength.

vikes_28
12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, we obviously want to surround Ponder with the best talent possible, but at what point does a QB finally say, "Okay, I've got what I need".. he's got the best RB, best slot WR, a very solid TE, and a decent enough OL to be successful yet he has progressively gotten worse and worse as the season has went along. Sure, he doesn't have a deep threat, but teams have gotten along just fine without one if the QB is good enough. Ponder isn't, and it's time to start evaluating other options. That pick across his body was the straw that broke the camel's back, to me. You're on the road, in a virtual must win game, and you make literally the only play that you CANNOT make.

I agree. I don't want to say bench Ponder yet... But I really think it is getting very close to that time. I'm curious to see if the files bring a QB in during FA to compete with ponder