PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Vikings Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

yo123
01-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Honestly, I think Greg Lewis might be a decent 3rd or 4th WR.

Wasn't he the third in Philly? He kinda sucked there.

vikes_28
01-23-2010, 02:40 AM
I want Bobby Wade :(

jimmylishis
01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Ok so i was thinking about this whole migraine thing with Percy and i came to the conclusion that this was the reason for the failed drug test at the combine. He just toked up to handle the migranes. He hasn't really had any character issues with the team and in all the interviews Ive watched he seems like a smart enough guy so i dont think hes dumb enough to fail the idiot test without a good reason.

but maybe im just a ******

djp
01-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Apparently you missed the talk of the migraines in the game thread..

yo123
01-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Damnit wrong thread

pete_norm
01-24-2010, 09:29 PM
Ouch... :(

djp
01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Well, another year, another painful ending for this franchise. This one did not hurt as much as 1998 but it's pretty close.

Still waiting for the day our fanhood gets rewarded. We have all stuck with this franchise and I hope one day we get what we deserve.

Sigh... I'm not even angry at all.. just... disappointed.

yo123
01-24-2010, 11:27 PM
The Red Sox suffered for almost a century. They're sitting pretty good right now. Our time will come, and we're sure as hell talented enough for it to come very soon.

D-Unit
01-25-2010, 12:14 AM
Well guys, I was pulling for ya. Almost pulled it out. I wish we played NOR instead of you guys. Just think... We probably would've beaten them and then you would've beaten us and been going to the SB right now.

General Zod
01-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Im gonna take a little hiatus from Vikings chat for a while.

A little time to clear my head and step back. Im not even going to comment on the game. Im still pretty disgusted. So instead of venting here, ill just take some time of from football.

On a side note...our team forum rocks and I think ya'll are the bombz.

Catch ya after while.

The Dynasty
01-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Well, another year, another painful ending for this franchise. This one did not hurt as much as 1998 but it's pretty close.

Still waiting for the day our fanhood gets rewarded. We have all stuck with this franchise and I hope one day we get what we deserve.

Sigh... I'm not even angry at all.. just... disappointed.

All of this is true. I'm more disgusted in the way we played today. We beat the saints at their own game..If it wasn't for the turnovers we would have won. But that is the past now. We as fans and a franchise just need to look to the future. First off we need figure out the QB situation. I like our team going forward. We have youth on our side in most parts. But really..this game was tough to watch but I'm not gonna give up on the Vikings franchise over one game. We will have our moment..just got to be patient right?...

russie
01-25-2010, 06:26 AM
why does God hate viking fans?

pete_norm
01-25-2010, 08:27 AM
Dissapointing end to a really nice season...

Not too sure what to say. I think the defense dominated Brees all night even if we got only 1 sack. He wasn't confortable at all tonight in the pocket. the special teams were bad (at one time i thought we were back last year) and the offense was pretty good.

The fumbles and interceptions, well... You can't win if you turn the ball over. I guess that's the perfect proof of that.

I'm not sure what more can be said and i don't really feel like looking toward next season yet. I'm still a bit disguted about it all...

Splat
01-25-2010, 11:14 AM
Vikings fear Cedric Griffin has torn ACL (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/vikings-fear-cedric-griffin-has-torn-acl/)

prock
01-25-2010, 11:25 AM
was anyone else very impressed with bernard "dangles" berrian last night? he probably played the best game of his life. he was pretty clutch.

FuzzyGopher
01-25-2010, 11:27 AM
was anyone else very impressed with bernard "dangles" berrian last night? he probably played the best game of his life. he was pretty clutch.

Yeah except for the fumble. He played hungry, made some real tough catches and broke tackles for extra yards. He played a real physical game (for once).

yo123
01-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Vikings fear Cedric Griffin has torn ACL (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/vikings-fear-cedric-griffin-has-torn-acl/)

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuu.

And yeah Berrian was a beast last night. I said several times that I take back everything I've ever said about him.

JFLO
01-25-2010, 11:31 AM
if it's true that Griffin tore his ACL than that really sucks...

I think it boosts are need to draft a corner a little bit.

I still like the ever-so-slow development of Asher Allen (whose PI call last night made me nearly **** myself). However, if we could (for some reason or another) land Earl Thomas..i would then **** myself.

the_legend_killer
01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Shiancoe and Berrian (Sans the fumble) stepped up big last night. Sad part of the game that, especially in the 2nd half, the defense played good enough to win. They just ran out of gas in OT. Good season guys, but it's a frustrating way to end it.

FuzzyGopher
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
I really don't feel bad about the loss at all. Between the six fumbles or whatever and the 2 picks, it's a miracle we even had a chance to win it. We beat ourselves by failing at the fundamentals, ball security and not making dumb penalties.

marshallb
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I thought Berrian played excellent minus the fumble, I swear they must have greased up our balls(not that way)before the game.

Sad to hear about Griffin, he was coming along really well, no idea why he was in on kickoff coverage anyways. Hopefully it isn't as bad as they fear.

Vikes99ej
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I thought Berrian played excellent minus the fumble, I swear they must have greased up our balls(not that way)before the game.

Sad to hear about Griffin, he was coming along really well, no idea why he was in on kickoff coverage anyways. Hopefully it isn't as bad as they fear.

Seconded. Berrian was awesomely clutch on third downs. Really impressed me. I could tell something wasn't right with Harvin.

BuckNaked
01-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Griffin probably tore his ACL and MCL, god ****.

The_Dude
01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
12 men in the huddle... after a timeout... what the ****...

djp
01-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, that sucks about Ced Griffin. Hopefully just an MCL or something. We are pretty decent at the corner position, Benny Sapp hasn't played bad at all and Winfield will be 100% heading into TC.. we can afford to ease Griffin back if we have to. Allen can play the nickel and Sapp can play right corner. He's a better tackler than Griffin although we would lose some coverage ability over there.

djp
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
Have we seen the last game for Donovan McNabb in Philly? Unlike teammate -- and fellow Pro Bowl sub -- Quintin Mikell, McNabb will not be available to the press on Monday following his promotion to the Pro Bowl, which makes you wonder ...

If he is done with the Eagles, it could dovetail nicely with Brett Favre's last game in Minnesota, in that Vikings head coach Brad Childress -- who coached McNabb for seven years -- might be in the market for a veteran replacement, given the nausea-inducing alternatives (Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels). We think Vikes fans would take a little of McNabb's Willie Beamen impression over those two 10 times out of 10.

In addition to the Vikes, what about the 49ers? Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News wrote last week that it would make sense, with the Niners sending a second-round pick in return. We're not so sure it makes sense for the Niners; in addition to destroying Alex Smith's newly found confidence, it'd also more than likely involve an installation of the West Coast offense, yet another scheme overhaul.

NFL Insider Adam Schefter emailed in Monday morning with some insight as to why the Vikings are a particularly intriguing choice:

Adam Schefter
Connections aplenty for Donovan in Minny
"Been waiting on this scenario for years. So if Favre does walk away -- and the thinking today, six months before it really matters is he will -- then Minnesota would be expected to make a play for Donovan McNabb. Why not? The Eagles have three quarterbacks, McNabb's value might never be higher than it is now, and just remember this: Vikings coach Brad Childress would love to be able to go from 4 to 5 if Favre retired. And as if that weren't enough, the Vikings quarterbacks coach, Kevin Rogers, was McNabb's quarterbacks coach at Syracuse. So ponder that one in the days and weeks ahead."

Uhh... yes please...

djp
01-25-2010, 05:01 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/report-griffin-has-torn-acl/

Splat
01-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Pat Williams says he's 50-50 to retire (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/pat-williams-says-hes-50-50-to-retire/)

djp
01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Pat Williams says he's 50-50 to retire (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/pat-williams-says-hes-50-50-to-retire/)

I really think he will be back, personally. Call it a gut feeling.

Crazy_Chris
01-25-2010, 05:21 PM
I really think he will be back, personally. Call it a gut feeling.

I think it depends on what happens with the Brett Favre/QB position. If Brett Favre comes back next season Pat will be back for sure. If Brett doesn't come back & the Vikings can't get McNabb in a trade then I can very well see Pat retiring.

djp
01-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Let me just say a few things about this team's development

I am convinced that Childress will get better in-game with timeouts/mistakes, etc, but you cannot deny the fact that this man knows how to build a football team and Spielman is the best in the business at acquiring talent. I hate to say it after what he's put us through, but I really do think he's the right man for the job.

They didn't just trade for Jared Allen or sign Brett Favre, 2 proven NFL players. They didn't just draft Adrian Peterson. They helped develop the likes of Cedric Griffin, Shiancoe (a big useless pile of talent when he arrived), Harvin (same as Shiancoe, this kids scary now), Loadholt (say what you want, he's gotten much better since early in the year and should be a solid RT for us), and the biggest of all, Sidney Rice (w/ help from Favre and the opening of the playbook).. not to mention guys like Sanford, Sapp, and Brinkley (who aren't quite there yet but should be solid contributors).

They're using all their draft picks and developing them. It's the sign of a good franchise. Plus it appears that we can keep Frazier (how is this possible?) for one last year to keep the continuity going.

Really excited with the way this team is going if we can find ourselves a QB of the near (and distant) future. Do I think this is the same person? Not quite sure yet.

yo123
01-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Uhh... yes please...

I was just thinking about this the other day, he would fit perfectly, he knows the offense inside and out.

I don't know why that article said his trade value was higher than ever though. The Eagles can afford to let him go and it's not like he was all that great this year.

djp
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day, he would fit perfectly, he knows the offense inside and out.

I don't know why that article said his trade value was higher than ever though. The Eagles can afford to let him go and it's not like he was all that great this year.

Yeah, didn't agree with that.

prock
01-25-2010, 05:38 PM

give me donovan!!! draft colt in the second and sit him behind him for two years.

djp
01-25-2010, 05:45 PM
give me donovan!!! draft colt in the second and sit him behind him for two years.

Call me crazy but if we're drafting a QB to develop (aka sit on the bench for 2-3 years), give me Tim Tebow.

I just don't think McCoy has NFL caliber tools. I think he's a Chad Pennington at the very best and in all likelihood the next JDB.

Tebow has an NFL arm. He has the best intangibles and makeup/leadership that we have probably ever seen from a quarterback. His footwork looked really good today from under center @ the Senior Bowl practice. He's extremely intelligent.

Yeah, there's bad things. His motion is way too slow. He's never played in a pro-style system. But, there's definitely potential there and you'd be extremely obtuse to believe otherwise.

I hate the Gators more than anyone as a die-hard Miami fan. Call it a gut feeling, I just think in the right scenario he can be a pretty good QB for somebody.

and if he blows @ QB and shows no improvement, he's got potential to play other positions for us. A guy like him cannot hurt in the locker room.

prock
01-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Call me crazy but if we're drafting a QB to develop (aka sit on the bench for 2-3 years), give me Tim Tebow.

I just don't think McCoy has NFL caliber tools. I think he's a Chad Pennington at the very best and in all likelihood the next JDB.

Tebow has an NFL arm. He has the best intangibles and makeup/leadership that we have probably ever seen from a quarterback. His footwork looked really good today from under center @ the Senior Bowl practice. He's extremely intelligent.

Yeah, there's bad things. His motion is way too slow. He's never played in a pro-style system. But, there's definitely potential there and you'd be extremely obtuse to believe otherwise.

I hate the Gators more than anyone as a die-hard Miami fan. Call it a gut feeling, I just think in the right scenario he can be a pretty good QB for somebody.

and if he blows @ QB and shows no improvement, he's got potential to play other positions for us. A guy like him cannot hurt in the locker room.

well, there is no way you can convince me for the sole reason that i have a completely irrational and deep-seated hatred for tim tebow. i hate everything florida football. nothing anyone ever says will convince me otherwise! colt mccoy i feel will fit our offense perfectly. he is very mobile, very smart, has a much better throwing motion. he doesnt have the arm strength you want in a quarterback, but his accuracy is great. i dunno, either way we wont have a quarterback capable of starting for a few years. i made a bet with my buddy that if tim tebow makes the pro bowl as a quarterback i will buy him an autographed tim tebow pro bowl jersey and fly him down to the pro bowl, and if he doesnt, he owes me 20 bucks. thats how much i hate tim tebow.

Crazy_Chris
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

Yeah, there's bad things. His motion is way too slow. He's never played in a pro-style system. But, there's definitely potential there and you'd be extremely obtuse to believe that.

I wouldn't be upset if they went with Tim Tebow in RD 2. The guy may not be anywhere ready to be a pro QB. But IMO he has the one thing that all the great franchise QBs have, and that is the Desire/Work ethic to be great. I listen to the kid talk and you can tell how bad he wants it and how football is pretty much his life. With good coaching I can see him developing into a really good QB.

djp
01-25-2010, 06:02 PM
well, there is no way you can convince me for the sole reason that i have a completely irrational and deep-seated hatred for tim tebow. i hate everything florida football. nothing anyone ever says will convince me otherwise! colt mccoy i feel will fit our offense perfectly. he is very mobile, very smart, has a much better throwing motion. he doesnt have the arm strength you want in a quarterback, but his accuracy is great. i dunno, either way we wont have a quarterback capable of starting for a few years. i made a bet with my buddy that if tim tebow makes the pro bowl as a quarterback i will buy him an autographed tim tebow pro bowl jersey and fly him down to the pro bowl, and if he doesnt, he owes me 20 bucks. thats how much i hate tim tebow.

Here's a question for you... Colt McCoy's the QB. Rejus Benn at the X, Harvin at the Y, Rice at the Z. 2nd and 1. Playaction. Rice goes deep. Beats man by a step.

Colt McCoy would...

a) Throw a perfect strike
b) Underthrow that leads to INT/incompletion
c) Hold on to the ball

I'd say b and c are infinitely more likely than a... the bomb is a part of our offense and was the reason we were so successful with medium passes this year.. Favre challenged teams within every zone of the field, whether that be horizontally or vertically. That's why we were good, and that's why I don't want Colt McCoy on this team.

prock
01-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Here's a question for you... Colt McCoy's the QB. Rejus Benn at the X, Harvin at the Y, Rice at the Z. 2nd and 1. Playaction. Rice goes deep. Beats man by a step.

Colt McCoy would...

a) Throw a perfect strike
b) Underthrow that leads to INT/incompletion
c) Hold on to the ball

I'd say b and c are infinitely more likely than a... the bomb is a part of our offense and was the reason we were so successful with medium passes this year.. Favre challenged teams within every zone of the field, whether that be horizontally or vertically. That's why we were good, and that's why I don't want Colt McCoy on this team.

That is a legitmate argument, and I have no rebuttle. Colt isn't a deep ball threat and that would take a dimension out of our offense. But I really, really, really cannot stand Tim Tebow.

vikes_28
01-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I would ******* love McNabb in Minny. I don't think he is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick though. Maybe a 3rd and 7th. I'd also love Tebow to the Vikings. The more that I think about it, the more I'm like, "heh, Tebowzzz."

djp
01-25-2010, 07:51 PM
I would ******* love McNabb in Minny. I don't think he is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick though. Maybe a 3rd and 7th. I'd also love Tebow to the Vikings. The more that I think about it, the more I'm like, "heh, Tebowzzz."

He's worth at least two 2nd's, imo.

I'd rather not give up picks in such a deep draft class, but we are near the bottom of every round.

Vikes99ej
01-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I would give up a second and a fourth for McNabb. Solve our QB problems for the next 5-7 years.

djp
01-25-2010, 08:58 PM
I would give up a second and a fourth for McNabb. Solve our QB problems for the next 5-7 years.

I just don't think Phillys giving him away that easy. I think its gonna take at least 1 first or a '10 2nd and '11 2nd.

BuckNaked
01-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Tyler Thigpen anyone?

vikes_28
01-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I just don't think Phillys giving him away that easy. I think its gonna take at least 1 first or a '10 2nd and '11 2nd.

I wouldn't mind this. But then we might be forced to take Tebow in the 1st round. Which I wouldn't like.

jimmylishis
01-25-2010, 11:55 PM
Tyler Thigpen anyone?

ZOMG TYLERZZZ THIGPENZZZZZZ IZ TEH SEXZZZ. We are instant super bowl contenders if by grace of god that does happen.

Kid_Ego
01-26-2010, 02:48 PM
OK first Id like to comment on the fact I have been a Viking fan for 30 + years I remember all the nfc Championship losses. And the ******** steve young run they play on SI commercials where for 5 solid seconds you can see atleast 5 holding calls. The Hardest to stomach is easily this game. Then the 98 game. IN 98 we knew we didnt have a D. Our whole strategy was to out score. This year we would of won this game 9 out of ten times. The falcons were 14-2 they were no slouches. Yes they were the Falcons but they earned a 14-2 record.
We lost this game 4 weeks ago when we had the chance to clinch home field advantage and let it slip away by losing to the panthers and the bears.
The Calls that New Orleans got is exactly why you want home filed advantage threw out. You dont get those calls on the road.
I have never in my life seen a team win any game agaisnt a good team when they turn the ball over 6 times fumbled 3 more dropped 3 ints and still managed to lose in over time? Those were easily the worst coached 15 seconds in NFL history. First off on a long field goal attempt why the **** are you rolling out in the first freaking place wouldnt you prefer to have the ball in the middle of the field? Second why the hell did you run a sweep to the right sideline again for the same reasons?Tweleve men on the field? really CHildress? Childress is responsible for his teams actions and these actions are not deserving of a Super Bowl Birth even though you were the best team in the Play offs. The Key here is you were.
I dont blame any one player or coach for this absolute emabarrassment of a game I blame every single one of them. I truly cant see where there is any comparison with this and 98 in 98 we got out hussled. Here we beat these guys almost 2-1 in offensive yards We did everything we had to to win. Yet we didnt have the intestinal fortitude to pull it to gether for 15 ******* seconds.
If I seem bitter I apolagize to all of you I know you all bleed purple just like me. But Dammit we deserve this We chose these guys knowing they lost 4 super bowls knowing they have a history of choking in the big game. Hoping just one day we would be able to say Yes WE ARE SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!! AND WE DESERVE TO BE PISSED WHEN THAT TIME COMES AND THE PLAYERS DONT FINISH THE DEAL WE LOST A WHOLE GENERATION OF VIKINGS FANS IN 15 SECONDS.

Crazy_Chris
01-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Guard Steve Hutchinson is expected to have offseason shoulder surgery. He played most of the season with the injury and gutted out the final three months despite the pain. There was no immediate timetable as to when his surgery will take place.

I knew the guy had been dealing with a nagging injury but I had no idea it was that bad. Probably a huge factor to why the Vikes run blocking was so mediocre compared to last year.

Apparently the Vikings Vs. Saints game was the highest rated playoff game(non superbowl) since 1982
The Vikings-Saints game drew huge numbers for FOX, pulling in a 58.7 rating and an 80 share in the Twin Cities market. Nationally, the game pulled down a 45 share, which represents about 58 million viewers – making it the highest-rated game since the Cowboys-49ers game in 1982 that was made famous by “The Catch” by Dwight Clark. Aside from Super Bowls, the rating for the Vikings-Saints game was the highest viewership since the 1998 series finale of “Seinfeld” – which had 76.3 million viewers.

http://min.scout.com/2/941192.html

Also here I made a list of the Vikings potential free agents...

RFA:
Ryan Cook OT
Ray Edwards DE
Fred Evans DT
Eric Frampton S
Tarvaris Jackson QB
Karl Paymah CB
Naufahu Tahi P.O.S.

URFA:
Artis Hicks OT/OG
Jimmy Kennedy DT
Greg Lewis WR
Benny Sapp CB
Chester Taylor RB

Bolded are the guys I think the Vikings tag/re-sign.

vikes_28
01-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I knew the guy had been dealing with a nagging injury but I had no idea it was that bad. Probably a huge factor to why the Vikes run blocking was so mediocre compared to last year.

Apparently the Vikings Vs. Saints game was the highest rated playoff game(non superbowl) since 1982

http://min.scout.com/2/941192.html

Also here I made a list of the Vikings potential free agents...

RFA:
Ryan Cook OT
Ray Edwards DE
Fred Evans DT
Eric Frampton S
Tarvaris Jackson QB
Karl Paymah CB
Naufahu Tahi P.O.S.

URFA:
Artis Hicks OT/OG
Jimmy Kennedy DT
Greg Lewis WR
Benny Sapp CB
Chester Taylor RB

Bolded are the guys I think the Vikings tag/re-sign.

I think we should keep silver fox. Tahi, yes please. Also, Kennedy and Sapp. I wouldn't mind if we let Ray Edwards walk.

djp
01-27-2010, 07:01 PM
So, just looking over the other recent contract extensions for receivers similar to Sidney Rice

Roddy White
8/8/2009: Signed a six-year, $48 million contract. The deal contains $18.6 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus and his entire 2009-2010 salaries. Another $4 million is available through incentives. 2009: $6 million, 2010: $6.6 million, 2011: $4 million (+ $5.3 million option bonus), 2012: $5.5 million, 2013: $5.6 million, 2014: $5 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charges: $8,113,530 (2009), $7.8 million (2010), $6.525 million (2011), $8.025 million (2012), $9.125 million (2013), $6.325 million (2014).

Greg Jennings
6/23/2009: Signed a four-year, $26.885 million contract. The cap-friendly deal (after 2009) contains $16.25 million guaranteed, including an $11.25 million signing bonus and Jennings' first-year base salary. Another $3 million is available through incentives, including $25,000 per game played, $25,000 each season if he plays in 12 games and the Packers make the playoffs, and escalators maxing out at $700,000 in 2010, $1 million in 2011, and $1.25 million in 2012 based on playing time and team performance. $300,000 offseason workout bonuses are available 2010-2012. 2009: $5 million, 2010: $1.85 million, 2011: $2.7 million, 2012: $3.885 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $8.154 million (2009), $5.004 million (2010), $5.854 million (2011), $7.039 million (2012).

now to the higher end deals..

Andre Johnson
3/3/2007: Signed an eight-year, $60 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed. 2009: $5.325 million, 2010: $5.8 million, 2011: $6.8 million, 2012: $7.3 million, 2013: $7 million, 2014: $7.3 million, 2015: Free Agent

Larry Fitzgerald
3/11/2008: Signed a four-year, $40 million contract w/NTC. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. If Fitzgerald is franchise tagged in 2012, he must be paid $23 million that season. 2009: $1.6 million (+ $9 million option bonus + $3.1 million roster bonus), 2010: $6.3 million, 2011: $7 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.9 million (2009).

Steve Smith
5/8/2007: Signed a six-year, $43.85 million contract. The deal included a $9.3 million signing bonus and a $6 million roster bonus in the second year. 2009: $3.4 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2010: $5.75 million, 2011: $7 million, 2012: $7.75 million, 2013: Free Agent

Sidney Rice is in a unique situation because he is only 23 years old. He was very young when he came into the NFL. I think we are going to get a bargain because of the fact that Rice lost leverage by being injured last year despite his production climbing over his career. I am thinking something close to 5 years and in the $32-38 million range.

Vikings are very astute with the cap and I would expect a deal structured similar to the one Greg Jennings got with Green Bay.

Also, I would expect the deal to be done before training camp. You don't let soon to be 24 year old Pro Bowl receivers go into their last year under contract.

djp
01-27-2010, 07:45 PM
other extensions that are possible

Ray Edwards - If they choose to give him a LTD, I'd guess 4 years, anywhere from $15 million - $22 million .. I think the more likely option is to tender him on a one year qualifying offer and go from there. If he maintains pressure on QB next year, he'd probably earn himself some more money. That steroid thing really chaps his ass, though. The team can use that as leverage and will probably give us something like a 10 percent discount.

I'll add more later

FuzzyGopher
01-29-2010, 08:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/29/peppers-mckinnie-skip-pro-bowl-practice/

Way to go douche bag, that guy is such a dumbass.

Crazy_Chris
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Good to see John Randle get elected to the HOF today. On the bad side IMO Carter getting eliminated before Reed is a clear statement that Andre will be next in line to get in. So it looks like Carter will have to wait a couple more years to get in.

BuckNaked
02-06-2010, 10:28 PM
I have isolated myself from Super Bowl talk..I'm still in withdrawal.

General Zod
02-07-2010, 05:26 PM
As Im watching the teams get introduced...

Im still a bit urked.

This should be my purple taking the field, not the Saints.

Go blue :-)

lol

The_Dude
02-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I have isolated myself from Super Bowl talk..I'm still in withdrawal.

This.

I had a renewed feeling of anger and frustration the other day (its been bubbling under the surface for the last 2 weeks) because i should have been sooooo excited all week. Instead i have been avoiding super bowl info.

******* Vikings.....

General Zod
02-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Well, Manning just pulled a Favre. lol

marshallb
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
This.

I had a renewed feeling of anger and frustration the other day (its been bubbling under the surface for the last 2 weeks) because i should have been sooooo excited all week. Instead i have been avoiding super bowl info.

******* Vikings.....

I was exactly the same way, I didn't watch or listen to any Super Bowl coverage until about an hour before the game and then they showed some highlights from the NFCCG and I got pissed. I got even more pissed once the Saints won the game, just knowing that that should have been us.

BlueBandit24
02-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I've tried not to think about it, but it can't help but bounce around my mind. I didn't think a game could sting as bad as '98, but this one just might have.

russie
02-08-2010, 11:46 AM
I heard the saints just changed their name to the New Orleans Hurricane Katrina Victims just to help out the media, since that's the only thing we are going to hear about for the next year

vikes_28
02-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Let's talk about something positive!

russie
02-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Let's talk about something positive!

That favre/car commercial was fairly funny

vikes_28
02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqAWv2wCW8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KqAWv2wCW8I&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

djp
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I heard the saints just changed their name to the New Orleans Hurricane Katrina Victims just to help out the media, since that's the only thing we are going to hear about for the next year

Saints or Saints fans didn't ask for any of the media attention they've received due to Katrina.. it's not their fault. Let them enjoy it.

prock
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Let's not talk about Katrina, because my view on the subject is very insensitive. I don't want to get into that. But, I do hate the Saints with a ******* passion.

So anyway guys, how about all this snow???

JFLO
02-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Let's not talk about Katrina, because my view on the subject is very insensitive. I don't want to get into that. But, I do hate the Saints with a ******* passion.

So anyway guys, how about all this snow???

Tired of it...

Columbus is supposed to get 3-5 more inches over the night, ******* up my schedule!

vikes_28
02-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Snow is not positive!

General Zod
02-08-2010, 11:44 PM
yep, pretty tired of snow.

prock
02-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Yeah, I need spring. As soon as possible. I can't wait to be able to walk to class comfortably again...

But for vikes, lets talk about something positive.

Uhhhhhh... I got nothing.

vikes_28
02-10-2010, 11:53 AM
How about.... ohh! Pokemonz!

djp
02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Something positive.. Well, the Twins look like they have the best team to start the season that I can ever remember. If Liriano can maintain his velocity from the Caribbean World Series, we could be scary good.

djp
02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I get the feeling people didn't see my Sidney Rice extension post since it was the last post of the last page. Here it is again.

So, just looking over the other recent contract extensions for receivers similar to Sidney Rice

Roddy White
8/8/2009: Signed a six-year, $48 million contract. The deal contains $18.6 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus and his entire 2009-2010 salaries. Another $4 million is available through incentives. 2009: $6 million, 2010: $6.6 million, 2011: $4 million (+ $5.3 million option bonus), 2012: $5.5 million, 2013: $5.6 million, 2014: $5 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charges: $8,113,530 (2009), $7.8 million (2010), $6.525 million (2011), $8.025 million (2012), $9.125 million (2013), $6.325 million (2014).

Greg Jennings
6/23/2009: Signed a four-year, $26.885 million contract. The cap-friendly deal (after 2009) contains $16.25 million guaranteed, including an $11.25 million signing bonus and Jennings' first-year base salary. Another $3 million is available through incentives, including $25,000 per game played, $25,000 each season if he plays in 12 games and the Packers make the playoffs, and escalators maxing out at $700,000 in 2010, $1 million in 2011, and $1.25 million in 2012 based on playing time and team performance. $300,000 offseason workout bonuses are available 2010-2012. 2009: $5 million, 2010: $1.85 million, 2011: $2.7 million, 2012: $3.885 million, 2013: Free Agent. Cap charges: $8.154 million (2009), $5.004 million (2010), $5.854 million (2011), $7.039 million (2012).

now to the higher end deals..

Andre Johnson
3/3/2007: Signed an eight-year, $60 million contract. The deal includes $15 million guaranteed. 2009: $5.325 million, 2010: $5.8 million, 2011: $6.8 million, 2012: $7.3 million, 2013: $7 million, 2014: $7.3 million, 2015: Free Agent

Larry Fitzgerald
3/11/2008: Signed a four-year, $40 million contract w/NTC. The deal contains $30 million guaranteed, including a $15 million signing bonus. If Fitzgerald is franchise tagged in 2012, he must be paid $23 million that season. 2009: $1.6 million (+ $9 million option bonus + $3.1 million roster bonus), 2010: $6.3 million, 2011: $7 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $10.9 million (2009).

Steve Smith
5/8/2007: Signed a six-year, $43.85 million contract. The deal included a $9.3 million signing bonus and a $6 million roster bonus in the second year. 2009: $3.4 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2010: $5.75 million, 2011: $7 million, 2012: $7.75 million, 2013: Free Agent

Sidney Rice is in a unique situation because he is only 23 years old. He was very young when he came into the NFL. I think we are going to get a decent cap number because of the fact that Rice lost leverage by being injured last year despite his production climbing over his career. I am thinking something close to 5 years and in the $32-38 million range.

Vikings are very astute with the cap and I would expect a deal structured similar to the one Greg Jennings got with Green Bay.

Also, I would expect the deal to be done before training camp. You don't let soon to be 24 year old Pro Bowl receivers go into their last year under contract.

djp
02-12-2010, 03:56 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/12/griffin-describes-quick-and-easy-acl-surgery/

The Dynasty
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Did any of you see the idea a Minnesota Lawmaker suggested? That the state of Minnesota should just sell the Metrodome to the Vikings for $1 because the stadium has been paid off a long time ago and this way the Vikings wouldn't have to worry about moving from Minnesota and Tax payers wouldn't have to help out the vikings to pay for a new stadium. I think its a great idea. Metrodome is nothing special but its a stadium and as long as it keeps the Vikings in Minnesota..im all for it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/11/minnesota-lawmaker-floats-unique-idea-for-vikings-stadium-situation/

The link incase you didn't see it.

prock
02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I 100% support this.

hagy34
02-12-2010, 08:20 PM
The point is that Wilf doesn't want the team to play in the Metrodome nor do I want to continue to watch games in the Metrodome.

vikes_28
02-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Wilf may have to work with what he's got. Cause at this point...I think it's "renovate the Metrodome" or "Move to LA". I think if they renovated the Metrodome it would be better than moving to another place. Cause I've never known anything other than Vikings football in Downtown Minneapolis.

vikes_28
02-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Does anyone else think that this game between the Vikes and the Saints started a new rivalry, kind of like the Colts/ Patriots rivalry? I just have a feeling that this isn't the last time we're going to hate them.

zachsaints52
02-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Does anyone else think that this game between the Vikes and the Saints started a new rivalry, kind of like the Colts/ Patriots rivalry? I just have a feeling that this isn't the last time we're going to hate them.

I don't think so. We too busy hating our NFC South people. The Colts and Pats didn't really hate the people in their division, basically because they rape them year in and year out, so they don't really need to hate anyone and they just found each other :)

hagy34
02-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Wilf may have to work with what he's got. Cause at this point...I think it's "renovate the Metrodome" or "Move to LA". I think if they renovated the Metrodome it would be better than moving to another place. Cause I've never known anything other than Vikings football in Downtown Minneapolis.

The problem is Wilf isn't going to work with what he has. Have you been to the Dome? It's a dump. The concourses suck. The luxury boxes suck. The food sucks. As a Viking fan it's a bad thing if the State of Minnesota says either take the Dome or move because guess what? They'll move. I still think that a stadium will be built but the Metrodome is just an unrealistic option. How could Zigi watch his team play in that dump while teams like the Lions are at Ford Field?

hagy34
02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't think so. We too busy hating our NFC South people. The Colts and Pats didn't really hate the people in their division, basically because they rape them year in and year out, so they don't really need to hate anyone and they just found each other :)

Agreed. The Vikes have enough to deal with the Bears and Packers. Plus I don't understand Viking fans hating the Saints. Because they beat up Favre? We would've done the same thing to Brees if we could've actually got to him.

vikes_28
02-13-2010, 03:58 PM
The problem is Wilf isn't going to work with what he has. Have you been to the Dome? It's a dump. The concourses suck. The luxury boxes suck. The food sucks. As a Viking fan it's a bad thing if the State of Minnesota says either take the Dome or move because guess what? They'll move. I still think that a stadium will be built but the Metrodome is just an unrealistic option. How could Zigi watch his team play in that dump while teams like the Lions are at Ford Field?

I have been to the metrodome. But I think tearing it down and rebuilding/ renovating would be 10x better and easier (and cheaper) than building a whole new stadium at a new site.

bearsfan_51
02-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I have been to the metrodome. But I think tearing it down and rebuilding/ renovating would be 10x better and easier (and cheaper) than building a whole new stadium at a new site.
Finding and developing a new site does not cost 10x as much as building a new stadium.

I live about 5 blocks away from the Metrodome. It's a little far from downtown to be absolutely ideal, but it's a damn nice spot considering the lightrail, parking, and access to the highway.

The problem is that Minnesota is broke, and Wilf is a cheap asshole (to be fair, there are some politicians who wouldn't vote for a free stadium). Giving him the rights to a crappy stadium is not going to fix the problem.

vikes_28
02-15-2010, 01:16 PM
I just got the urge that I wanted the Vikings to keep Berrian. For one, we have a young talented group of receivers. And also, If Sidney Rice has more years like he did this year, teams will start double covering him, leaving Berrian wide open most of the time. Thoughts?

BuckNaked
02-15-2010, 05:41 PM
I just got the urge that I wanted the Vikings to keep Berrian. For one, we have a young talented group of receivers. And also, If Sidney Rice has more years like he did this year, teams will start double covering him, leaving Berrian wide open most of the time. Thoughts?

Get a guy who can run over the middle and doesn't have an abnormal menstruation cycle.

jsang74
02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Get a guy who can run over the middle and doesn't have an abnormal menstruation cycle.

How about Visanthe Shaincoe?

jsang74
02-16-2010, 03:58 PM

I think we keep him at least one more year because if he goes that leaves us with only two proven wide receivers.

yo123
02-16-2010, 10:17 PM

It's not like Berrian wasn't single covered all the time this year anyway. He just sucks. If you're best trait as a receiver is going deep and you can't succeed with Brett Favre as your quarterback you should just retire.

djp
02-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Your logic appears to be flawed.. Berrian was open all season and still managed to be bad. While making a lot of money. Can't we get someone who is better that makes a lot less money so we can improve other areas of the team?

One thing I hope they don't do is move Harvin to the Y if they cut Berrian (which they won't)

prock
02-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Well the rivalry is started on my part. I sure as hell hate the Saints enough.

vikes_28
02-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Your logic appears to be flawed.. Berrian was open all season and still managed to be bad. While making a lot of money. Can't we get someone who is better that makes a lot less money so we can improve other areas of the team?

One thing I hope they don't do is move Harvin to the Y if they cut Berrian (which they won't)

You are correct. Berrian just doesn't have good hands. Better than Williamson, worse than Rice. Idk why, but it seemed like he was always open and in the right spot during the Saints game. He was good last year, which is why it's so hard for me to swallow the fact that he just strait up sucked this year.

BuckNaked
02-16-2010, 11:37 PM
He can get open, nobody here is arguing that. I don't even think it's so much that he's got the drops, he just seems to be so much more afraid of contact, that I think it gets in his head. Hence him being a babyback biotch.

BlueBandit24
02-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Berrian's definitely a member of the Alligator Arm Tribe. I'd be happy to keep him though considering he's our 4th option in the passing game after Rice, Harvin, and Shiancoe. If he can get back to his 2008 level of health he can at least contribute.

Bills2083
02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Where would you guys view QB in rank of needs?
I know some of you want another DT, while others (I think) are pulling for a CB.

BlueBandit24
02-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I know some of you want another DT, while others (I think) are pulling for a CB.

I'd say quarterback is clearly the #1 need. Favre and/or McNabb are both excellent band-aids but this franchise could still desperately use a long-term option. After QB I'd have DT, S, CB, OL -- not in any particular order.

In case you were wondering, I don't consider Captain Checkdown to be a viable option. :cool:

marshallb
02-17-2010, 11:13 AM

For most of us on here, we have QB right along with S as our top need. NT is up there, as Pat is 37, but Kennedy and Evans were quite good this year. I don't see it, but a few people on here are clamoring for a CB, but I'd put that down the list a ways. I'd rank our needs as follows:
1a. QB
1b. S
2. DE(only if Edwards leaves)
3. NT
4. RG
5. RB
6. OLB
7. CB

That shows just how little I feel CB is a need, I'd be very happy to go into next year with the CBs we have. Winfield will be fine next year, Griffin was very good and is on track to be only a little behind schedule for the start of the season, Sapp was a very good NB, and we drafted Asher Allen in the 3rd last year and he performed well as the season progressed, and should be given a shot.

Bills2083
02-17-2010, 11:20 AM
I'd say quarterback is clearly the #1 need. Favre and/or McNabb are both excellent band-aids but this franchise could still desperately use a long-term option. After QB I'd have DT, S, CB, OL -- not in any particular order.

In case you were wondering, I don't consider Captain Checkdown to be a viable option. :cool:

haha, I wasn't thinking of sending you guys Edwards.
I'm trying to create a mock draft, and well, Mr. Bradford is sitting there at #10, and.... it sure would be a lot to trade up to 10, no?

For most of us on here, we have QB right along with S as our top need. NT is up there, as Pat is 37, but Kennedy and Evans were quite good this year. I don't see it, but a few people on here are clamoring for a CB, but I'd put that down the list a ways. I'd rank our needs as follows:
1a. QB
1b. S
2. DE(only if Edwards leaves)
3. NT
4. RG
5. RB
6. OLB
7. CB

That shows just how little I feel CB is a need, I'd be very happy to go into next year with the CBs we have. Winfield will be fine next year, Griffin was very good and is on track to be only a little behind schedule for the start of the season, Sapp was a very good NB, and we drafted Asher Allen in the 3rd last year and he performed well as the season progressed, and should be given a shot.

Thanks for the insight; both of you.
I'll send you guys some rep.

vikes_28
02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
haha, I wasn't thinking of sending you guys Edwards.
I'm trying to create a mock draft, and well, Mr. Bradford is sitting there at #10, and.... it sure would be a lot to trade up to 10, no?

Thanks for the insight; both of you.
I'll send you guys some rep.

Yes please.

Bills2083
02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
How much could you guys give up, though?
It would have to be more than #30 and #62

vikes_28
02-17-2010, 11:48 AM
How much could you guys give up, though?
It would have to be more than #30 and #62

picks 1, 2, and 3 and next years 1st. That's how much I would give up. Of course, that's probably why i'm not an NFL GM.

Bills2083
02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
marshallb, would you be willing to do that trade?
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2011's 1st for

Denver's 1st (#10) and 4th?

I threw the 4th in there to make it seem a little less lopsided :)

djp
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM

This isn't the Herschel Walker trade. If we were trading up to 10 I'd give up no more than 30, 62 and a 3rd next year.

yo123
02-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I don't see him out there getting hit or nothing like that," Edwards said. "The commissioner makes $9 million, so you tell me where the balance is? He doesn't put his life on the line, he pushes a pen

http://www.meikathon.net/roflmao/facepalm.jpg

BlueBandit24
02-17-2010, 05:11 PM
This isn't the Herschel Walker trade. If we were trading up to 10 I'd give up no more than 30, 62 and a 3rd next year.

Agreed. I'd in no way want to give up two 1st's for Bradford. If there's a way to move up at a reasonable cost I'd be pretty excited about the move. But I don't feel Bradford is nearly an elite enough prospect to start throwing around an absurd amount of high picks.

vikes_28
02-17-2010, 07:37 PM
If Bradford was there at 10 i'd imagine the Broncos would take him anyways.

marshallb
02-18-2010, 10:56 AM

I would not. I'd absolutely love to get Bradford, but I'd think a fair deal would be 1st, 4th, and 2011 1st for #10 and possibly a 6th/7th rounder.

Bills2083
02-18-2010, 12:36 PM
I would not. I'd absolutely love to get Bradford, but I'd think a fair deal would be 1st, 4th, and 2011 1st for #10 and possibly a 6th/7th rounder.

Yeah, the original offer seemed very far-fetched to me.

The_Dude
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I only have 2 letters for you: L.T.?

Yes, please. I don't think that he'll get a massive contract and he'd be a nice upgrade over Chester. It would be fun to watch the A.P./L.T. backfield.

yo123
02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't think he's an upgrade over Chester at this point.

prock
02-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Absolutely NOT an upgrade over Chester.

vikes_28
02-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Chester is a great player. But I have a feeling we are going to move onto Albert Young. He very few carries this year, but when he touched the ball he did alright.

prock
02-23-2010, 12:39 AM
I would be alright with that. How about we give Ian Johnson some carries? :)

vikes_28
02-23-2010, 12:40 AM
I would be alright with that. How about we give Ian Johnson some carries? :)

Either one would be just fine with me. If Young was the 2nd string and Johnson was 3rd. Yes.

jimmylishis
02-23-2010, 10:58 PM
the thing about having albert young or ian johnson as a backup rb is that they are both inexperienced. When AD fumbles the rock like he does, we need a proven vet to take over a game if he becomes too much of a liability.

vikes_28
02-24-2010, 12:57 AM
the thing about having albert young or ian johnson as a backup rb is that they are both inexperienced. When AD fumbles the rock like he does, we need a proven vet to take over a game if he becomes too much of a liability.

I wouldn't be so quick to speak on Young. He held onto the ball in college. And did it really well I might add.

marshallb
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I would be fine with Young/Johnson if we knew they'd be a #2 and only have a few carries a game, but with AD's injury problems in college and his running style, I'm not comfortable with either as a guy who can step in and be the #1 guy getting 20 carries a game for a few games.

prock
02-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I would be fine with Young/Johnson if we knew they'd be a #2 and only have a few carries a game, but with AD's injury problems in college and his running style, I'm not comfortable with either as a guy who can step in and be the #1 guy getting 20 carries a game for a few games.

I am a million times more comfortable with either of them at running back then I would be with starting Gus Ferrote or Brad Johnson or Tavaris Jackson at quarterback.

The Dynasty
02-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Adam Schefter on ESPN said that Westbrook has had 3-4 teams call about his services and he said the Vikings could be one of them. Childress having the Philly background and we've seen in the past he likes to bring ex-eagles over to the Vikings. If he is healthy and comes cheap(which i sort of doubt), I'm all for it. I'd rather see Chester come back but if we can't I think Westbrook is a good option for 3rd down situations.

djp
02-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Adam Schefter on ESPN said that Westbrook has had 3-4 teams call about his services and he said the Vikings could be one of them. Childress having the Philly background and we've seen in the past he likes to bring ex-eagles over to the Vikings. If he is healthy and comes cheap(which i sort of doubt), I'm all for it. I'd rather see Chester come back but if we can't I think Westbrook is a good option for 3rd down situations.

Depends on what kind of deal he's going to ask for. I would rather have Westbrook than LT on this team due to familiarity and the fact that Westbrook can split out wide with the best of them.

However, I do think that a big time lead blocking fullback is a bigger need than a 3rd down back. Peterson was awesome with Tony Richardson. Can't say the same with Tahi. We missed the boat on Quinn Johnson from LSU last year. I loved that guy coming out. Great project for Childress.

I still can't believe Eric Bienemy has a job. That guy should have been gone. The error that led to the 12 men penalty, the constant fumbling from Peterson, the fact that he's gotten worse each year instead of better is just scary.

The_Dude
02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I still can't believe Eric Bienemy has a job. That guy should have been gone. The error that led to the 12 men penalty, the constant fumbling from Peterson, the fact that he's gotten worse each year instead of better is just scary.

I am in 100% agreement with this statement. Bienemy should have been fired immediately for the error that essentially cost us the Super Bowl.

prock
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Argh, fire him!

vikes_28
02-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Depends on what kind of deal he's going to ask for. I would rather have Westbrook than LT on this team due to familiarity and the fact that Westbrook can split out wide with the best of them.

However, I do think that a big time lead blocking fullback is a bigger need than a 3rd down back. Peterson was awesome with Tony Richardson. Can't say the same with Tahi. We missed the boat on Quinn Johnson from LSU last year. I loved that guy coming out. Great project for Childress.

Thomas Tapeh....Oh wait.

Crazy_Chris
03-03-2010, 05:57 PM
Apparently today Ray Edwards got a 1st round tender, and Tarvaris Jackson got a 3rd round tender... I expected those 2 to get tendered still looking to see if there are any more.

marshallb
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
That's about what I expected/hoped for those 2. If I remember right, Evans, Cook, and Tahi are also RFAs, so it'll be interesting to see what they get. I hope we tender Evans, but the other 2 can walk.

EDIT: and I think Paymah is too, but he can walk also.

The Dynasty
03-03-2010, 07:53 PM
DE Ray Edwards: Received a first-round tender of $2.5 million.

DT Fred Evans: Received a second-round tender of $1.8 million

QB Tarvaris Jackson: Received a third-round tender of $1.2 million

FB Naufahu Tahi: Was tendered with the right of first refusal, meaning the Vikings would not be in line to get a draft pick if Tahi is signed by another team and Minnesota doesn't match.

CB Karl Paymah: Has been told he will not receive any type of offer and thus will become an unrestricted free agent.

Still checking: Offensive lineman Ryan Cook and safety Eric Frampton.

Thats the RFA Tender situation for the Vikings as of 7:48pm tonight.

Link: http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/56735627.html

So lets hope a team is dumb enough to take Tarvaris off our hands. But Very doubtful.

vikes_28
03-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Vikings tender Tavaris at third round level (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/vikings-tender-tarvaris-at-third-round-level/)

JFLO
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
If Childress really still believes in T-Jack it would have been at least a 2nd...Good sign

prock
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
If he really believes in T-Var still, I lost hope for our future.

prock
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
That's about what I expected/hoped for those 2. If I remember right, Evans, Cook, and Tahi are also RFAs, so it'll be interesting to see what they get. I hope we tender Evans, but the other 2 can walk.

EDIT: and I think Paymah is too, but he can walk also.

Holy ******* **** is Paymah a piece of ****. Get him off our team. Hopefully he takes Cook and Tahi with him.

contento
03-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Pretty discouraging that we couldn't get at least one of Sapp/Hicks/Kennedy signed to new deals before FA.

All those guys provide quality depth and they've all played better as Vikings then they have with previous teams

djp
03-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Hicks will be gone. Kennedy was nice as a change of pace type DT, but he's not going to be worth that much money. You can get a guy like him in the draft easily.

Sapp was the one that irked me a bit. He's become a solid corner and shouldn't cost too much. We gave him his shot in the NFL when no one else would, he should show some loyalty and sign here for a decent price. He's at the very least a good nickel back and could fill in on the outside like he proved in the playoffs and down the stretch.

Looks like Chester Taylor is probably gone. I'll miss him a lot if that's indeed the case. I like Brian Westbrook, but we can't really put him in to take 20 carries if Peterson keeps fumbling, can we? More likely we draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round than Westbrook, imo.

vikes_28
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Hicks will be gone. Kennedy was nice as a change of pace type DT, but he's not going to be worth that much money. You can get a guy like him in the draft easily.

Sapp was the one that irked me a bit. He's become a solid corner and shouldn't cost too much. We gave him his shot in the NFL when no one else would, he should show some loyalty and sign here for a decent price. He's at the very least a good nickel back and could fill in on the outside like he proved in the playoffs and down the stretch.

Looks like Chester Taylor is probably gone. I'll miss him a lot if that's indeed the case. I like Brian Westbrook, but we can't really put him in to take 20 carries if Peterson keeps fumbling, can we? More likely we draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round than Westbrook, imo.

Actually, if worst comes to worst, I wouldn't mind taking Ryan Matthews in the first round. But only if it's bpa. Otherwise, Dwyer would be a good prospect in the 2nd.

JFLO
03-04-2010, 09:08 PM
If Chester is gone, which (I agree) looks like is going to happen, then I think he'll be missed pretty badly. Not enough to change the offense, not by any means, but he was such a reliable source for at least 2-4 catches a game for a couple pivotal first downs.

I imagine they'll sign at least a decent option for a back up of Adrian, but they should make sure that this player has really reliable hands because the offense just seemed to flow pretty well when Chester was in the backfield.

djp
03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
If we take an RB in the first round, it's gotta be a more polished type guy that can catch the ball and block. We have a great system right now, with Adrian carrying the load and our 3rd down back being more than able to do the things needed on 3rd down.

That or Adrian could learn to block. Either one. With Bienemy still on the payroll, seems doubtful though. Man, I hate that guy.

BlueBandit24
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not opposed to taking a running back early, but I'd rather wait until the third round and grab a guy like Hardesty, Tate, etc.; guys who likely won't be stars in the NFL but should be able to take the reigns for a few games in case of injury and perform well. Those guys might not be there but they're just examples of a couple quality RB's who won't cost premium picks. I'd rather take that route, personally.

The_Dude
03-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Chester signed with the Bears:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/chester-taylor-is-a-chicago-bear/

Peppers seems like he will shortly, too.

Boo on both counts.

FuzzyGopher
03-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Damn that sucks about Chester. He kinda got a raw deal with Peterson getting drafted a year after he signed. Oh well, he was awesome when he was here and I hope he sucks with the Bears lol.

Crazy_Chris
03-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Apparently the Vikings are interested in CB Marlin Jackson...

With the Vikings strictly limited in their ability to sign unrestricted free agents, they'll have to improve the team via other avenues.

As a final four franchise from 2009, they're permitted to pursue any restricted free agents. Of those, the best are the ones that have no restriction.

Enter Colts cornerback Marlin Jackson. The restricted free agent did not receive a tender from the Colts, allowing the Vikings or any other team to snatch him up.

Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings are interested in Jackson. As to whether that interest becomes action, stay tuned.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/report-vikings-to-pursue-marlin-jackson/

The Dynasty
03-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Apparently the Vikings are interested in CB Marlin Jackson...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/report-vikings-to-pursue-marlin-jackson/

I saw that last night. The one positive is that he use to be coached under Leslie Frazier so he knows the system. Im fine with it if they sign him. We do need depth.

The_Dude
03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Does the loss of Chester assure that Westbrook will be wearing purple next year?

I think so.

prock
03-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Does the loss of Chester assure that Westbrook will be wearing purple next year?

I think so.

Gimme gimme gimme!

The Dynasty
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

I think so.

When I woke up this afternoon, I turned on NFLN just in time to have them talk about the Vikings plans after Chester and one of the guys on there said that he doesn't expect the Vikings to sign Westbrook but will draft a player at the 30th spot to replace him. I'd take westbrook.

The_Dude
03-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Jahvid Best intrigues me, but i would prefer to go the route of Westbrook and then draft some d help at 30/early 2nd from a trade down scenario.

FuzzyGopher
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
1st rounder on a RB seems stupid, there are bigger holes elsewhere. I like Mcknight in round 3 or so.

djp
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
1st rounder on a RB seems stupid, there are bigger holes elsewhere. I like Mcknight in round 3 or so.

Need a good blocker. Not impressed with McKnight in that regard.

General Zod
03-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I am sad to see Chester go. Easily one of my favorite Vikes of all time. And for a 30 year old back, damn he got paid! lol

Im also not happy to see Peppers in a Bears uni, I think he got an outragous amount of money for being inconsistent, but hell, he did a number on McKinney.

As for a back up RB, id much rather have a proven veteran. Someone who knows our system. Who can pass block, good hands. Meaning someone we can plug in when Peterson gets the fumbles.

Yes, bring on Westbrook. :-)

marshallb
03-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I do not want to take a RB in the 1st, it just seems so stupid to waste a prime pick on a guy that will be a back up for his career with us. I know you need 2 RBs in the NFL now, but you can get that backup in the 3rd or in FA with a vet like Westbrook or LT.

I agree with djp on McKnight, he's a very agile fast back, but I'd much rather go with Hardesty, who should go in that same range.

Now can someone tell me what Chester's contract means for us, with the stupid uncapped year rules, now we can sign someone within Chester's range, but what is that range. Does it have to do with the guaranteed money, or the overall money, or the per year, or what?

Man I hate this uncapped year, this time of year used to be a lot of fun with the Vikings having been big chasers in FA, now we can't even go after anyone.

marshallb
03-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Hicks signed with Washington, reportedly 3 yr. $9 million with $3 million guaranteed. That gives us even more flexibility to sign some UFAs, although there isn't a whole lot out there for UFAs that intrigue me. I would like to see us sign either LT or Westbrook, although neither are UFAs, other than that, I want to see us bring back Sapp or sign Marlin Jackson like reported on PFT, or both. That way we could hopefully get rid of the CB and RB needs for the draft. At DT, I'd like to see us bring back Kennedy, but not if it'd cost much, I'd rather just grab a DT in the draft to replace him than overpay for him. As far as S, there isn't really anyone in FA that I'd want a whole lot, other than Otogwe from the Rams, and they'd be able to match it since he's a RFA.

General Zod
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Ive heard the Marlin Jackson and Brian Westbrook rumors. Have ya'll heard any other rumors about any other FA's that the Vikes might be interested in?

russie
03-08-2010, 06:35 AM
i'm probably alone in this, but i think the vikes should take a look at justin fargas. he's been a starter and had mild success while being on a terrible team and i think he can be had for cheap. the only thing that scares me is the report he failed a physical, but that was put out there by the team that didnt want to pay him a roster bonus.

General Zod
03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
i'm probably alone in this, but i think the vikes should take a look at justin fargas. he's been a starter and had mild success while being on a terrible team and i think he can be had for cheap. the only thing that scares me is the report he failed a physical, but that was put out there by the team that didnt want to pay him a roster bonus.

I was actually thinking this myself. Id still like to land Westbrook though.

BlueBandit24
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Fargas would be a decent consolation prize to Westbrook but I think I'd rather use a mid-round pick as opposed to Fargas. Best doesn't appeal to me; he's a poor pass-blocker.

The Dynasty
03-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Vikings signed Rhys Llyod according to his twitter page. He will most likely do the kick offs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/08/vikings-sign-rhys-lloyd/

djp
03-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Judd Zulgad is a miserable writer. His sources are always awful and he's annoying as hell. He posted a blog with absolutely nothing of substance regarding LT and Westbrook.

russie
03-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Judd Zulgad is a miserable writer. His sources are always awful and he's annoying as hell. He posted a blog with absolutely nothing of substance regarding LT and Westbrook.

this one?

Vikings "appear to have interest" in LaDainian Tomlinson
Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2010 10:45 PM ET
When the Chargers cut running back LaDainian Tomlinson, we immediately pointed out the possibility of one Texas native joining forces with another Texas native who plays tailback in Minnesota.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the Vikings "appear to have interest" in the 2006 NFL MVP.

Zulgad also writes that the Vikings "aren't believed to have expressed interest" in veteran tailback Brian Westbrook, who played for the Eagles when Vikings coach Brad Childress served as the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia.

Before the Vikings act on that interest, they'll need to determine whether Tomlinson is interested in being a backup to Adrian Peterson. L.T. might want to exhaust any opportunities to be the lead dog elsewhere before accepting a backup role.

Because Tomlinson was cut, the Vikings are free to sign him without regard to the rules of the "Final Eight Plan."

The_Dude
03-09-2010, 08:46 AM
I would be more than happy to see a Peterson/Tomlinson back field. I would take LT over any other RB out there right now or any RB that we who isn't named Peterson. We are built to win now and this would only improve our team.

prock
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
LT sucks. He would do nothing for us. Give us Westbrook or Fargas

vikes_28
03-09-2010, 01:05 PM
^^ agreed. LDT has lost a step, and he can't catch out of the backfield like he used to.

The_Dude
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Per PFT:

Sapp agrees to return to Minnesota
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 9, 2010 3:03 PM ET
Benny Sapp will be back with the Vikings to provide depth at cornerback in 2010.

Sapp's agent Andy Simms broke the news on Twitter. Sapp has played the dime and nickel back for the Vikings the last two years, often moving up the depth chart because of injuries.

We have nothing more to say about Benny Sapp. Plus, there's another signing to report.

djp
03-09-2010, 03:42 PM
I like the signing. Benny Sapp is comfortable in our defense, all the players like him, nothing wrong with this. Shows that if you are a borderline player that works hard and progresses, you'll be rewarded.

As far as Tomlinson goes, I'm iffy on it. He's looked sluggish the past 2 seasons, but maybe the release will re-motivate him a la Corey Dillon. He can't hurt anything with Peterson's development, that's for sure.

JFLO
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
I would take Tomlinson over Westbrook anyday.

1) He's not as big of a health risk than Westbrook
2) He could teach Adrian how to actually hold on to the ball, dude has 1 fumble in the past 3 seasons
3) He is the closest style to Adrian Peterson and could teach him more about patience as a runner.

The Dynasty
03-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Tomlinson is coming in for a Visit on Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/tomlinson-will-visit-vikings-thursday/

vikes_28
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Tomlinson is coming in for a Visit on Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/09/tomlinson-will-visit-vikings-thursday/

Was just going to post this. Hmmm, I wonder if Asher Allen would give up 21 to Tomlinson.

The_Dude
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm sure LT has the cash needed to get it from him.

I am definitely in the pro-LT camp.

hagy34
03-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Signing LT won't hurt our chances of seeing Favre in purple once again. It's not a huge signing but I'd prefer this over Albert Young and/or using a high draft choice on a running back.

If this goes down our first three draft choices need to be used on DB and OL depth.

wogitalia
03-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I'd rather we sign LT as a coach than a player, so hopefully that is basically what his role will be. He looked totally washed up in SD, basically all he had left to contribute there was his blocking skills.

I think Westbrook offers more to us schematically.

That said, I think I would rather a 3rd or 4th rounder used on a back then picking up a vet.

hagy34
03-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I'd rather we sign LT as a coach than a player, so hopefully that is basically what his role will be. He looked totally washed up in SD, basically all he had left to contribute there was his blocking skills.

I think Westbrook offers more to us schematically.

That said, I think I would rather a 3rd or 4th rounder used on a back then picking up a vet.

The problem with using a 3rd or 4th round pick on a back is that rookies typically offer little in the means of blocking. I'm not sure that I'm ready to spend next season thinking that a combo of Peterson/Rookie RB/Albert Young can be relied upon to protect our QB on passing downs.

Tomlinson did look bad last year in SD but at the same time he was being relied upon to carry the load. He won't do that here.

General Zod
03-09-2010, 11:02 PM
I am good with Sapp returning.

As for the LT vs Westbrook, Im really on the fence, I see pros and cons of both. I guess Id be happy as long as we sign at least one of them.

marshallb
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm really glad we brought Sapp back, and I'd be very happy with LT, he's lost a step, but he can still be a good 3rd down back, he's an excellent blocker and pass catcher, plus like someone else said, hopefully he can teach AD something about not fumbling. I honestly would prefer LT to Westbrook, but I'd be fine with either and would take either one over a rookie back in the mid rounds for this year anyways.

vikes_28
03-10-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm really glad we brought Sapp back, and I'd be very happy with LT, he's lost a step, but he can still be a good 3rd down back, he's an excellent blocker and pass catcher, plus like someone else said, hopefully he can teach AD something about not fumbling. I honestly would prefer LT to Westbrook, but I'd be fine with either and would take either one over a rookie back in the mid rounds for this year anyways.

Or who knows, maybe LT will make AP watch. I'd love to see Adrian taken out of a game because he's fumbled 3 times.

BlueBandit24
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm happy Sapp is back. Hopefully he can continue to grow in purple.

As far as LT vs. Westy, I'm torn. I feel Westbrook has more football left in him, but his concussions at this point in his career are worrisome. LT could be productive as a 3rd down back, maybe taking away some GL carries to keep AD fresh. But there's a reason San Diego cut ties and weren't exactly dying to have him back last year; he's a shell of his former self. I do prefer either option to taking a RB high in the draft.

hagy34
03-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm happy Sapp is back. Hopefully he can continue to grow in purple.

As far as LT vs. Westy, I'm torn. I feel Westbrook has more football left in him, but his concussions at this point in his career are worrisome. LT could be productive as a 3rd down back, maybe taking away some GL carries to keep AD fresh. But there's a reason San Diego cut ties and weren't exactly dying to have him back last year; he's a shell of his former self. I do prefer either option to taking a RB high in the draft.

Good points. But let's be honest. San Diego had to cut him because of the money he was owed. I'm sure if San Diego could have him on the cheap as a role player they'd love to have somebody like that. It's just so much different with Tomlinson on this team than what he was supposed to do in SD. He can block. He can catch. More importantly he won't fumble.

prock
03-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes, give me LT. He may not be the same LT, but he definitely won't fumble, and he can catch and block.

General Zod
03-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Marlin Jackson signed with the Eagles. :-(

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13038966/eagles-sign-versatile-former-colts-db-marlin-jackson

vikes_28
03-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Marlin Jackson signed with the Eagles. :-(

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13038966/eagles-sign-versatile-former-colts-db-marlin-jackson

Sad day. Are there any other notable CB's in free agency that we could take? I would check, but I'm feeling too lazy/ unmotivated to do it right now.

russie
03-11-2010, 06:10 PM
L.T. heads to New York, but was "wowed" by Vikings
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 6:54 PM ET
After spending Wednesday night and Thursday with the Vikings, running back LaDainian Tomlinson has left Minnesota for a visit with the Jets.

According to Jim Trotter of SI.com, L.T. said he "really liked" what he heard in Minnesota.

Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Tomlinson left team headquarters within the hour holding a Vikings jersey.

Trotter says that, if the Jets really want Tomlinson, "they'll have to bring it." L.T. told Trotter that the Vikings "really wowed him," and that he "could see himself playing there."

Peter King reported earlier today that L.T. could visit the Eagles and Saints next week; Trotter says that Tomlinson acknowledged that he has set up tentative visits next week, but that he could make up his mind over the weekend regarding his next team.

Crazy_Chris
03-11-2010, 06:32 PM
To me this is good news... I wouldn't be jumping for joy because we have LT on our team. But IMO LT will be looking for 1 of 2 things a.) a starting RB role B.) a Chance to win a superbowl. Obviously he won't be getting option A in MN so if LT is really strongly considering joining the Vikings to me that is a sign that they are definatly expecting Favre to come back.

The_Dude
03-12-2010, 08:53 AM
Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/eagles-saints-could-make-a-run-at-ray-edwards/

Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2010 9:44 PM ET
As the Vikings try to upgrade their roster with the addition of running back LaDainian Tomlinson, they might have to worry about another team trying to pilfer one of their restricted free agents.

Bob Grotz of the Delaware County Times recently reported that the Eagles "are expected" to make a run at Minnesota defensive end Ray Edwards. The four-year veteran has been tendered at the first-round level.

The Saints also have been mentioned as a team that might pursue Edwards, which would be an intriguing development given that Edwards said he would have targeted Saints quarterback Drew Brees for late and/or low hits if he had known that Saints defenders were knocking around Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre.

Of course, Edwards might not be interested in leaving. But a long-term contract tends to change a guy's mind -- so perhaps it would be wise for the Vikings to work out a multi-year contract with Edwards before a team drafting in the bottom third of round one signs him to a deal containing a poison pill of the very kind that the Vikings concocted four years ago.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if Edwards signed with the Eagles. We'd get pick #25 out of it which could get us closer to someone we could really desire: Thomas, Iupati, or Williams. I'm sure that we could find a capable run stopper in the 2nd or 3rd round to rotate with Robison, who i really like as a pass rusher.

BlueBandit24
03-12-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd like to see Edwards stay, but I think getting a pick in the late-1st for him would be excellent value.

djp
03-12-2010, 10:49 AM
A first and a third for Ray Edwards? Count me in. He was great in the playoffs, but he hasn't really shown that he's worth THAT much.

djp
03-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Also, as far as LT goes, he's blatantly trying to drive his price up. I hope we don't get into a bidding war. There's other options available that are probably just as good.

marshallb
03-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I would love to see Edwards stay, but if someone wants to give up a first for him, I'd take it, he is not worth a first, and this draft is quite deep at DE, so we could grab a good one in the 2nd/3rd/4th to play LE with Robison. Also, like The Dude said, it'd help us move up a little, if the Eagles offer him a contract, and hopefully allow us to get one of Williams, Spoon, Thomas, or Iupati.

Oh, and if the Eagles would rather trade one of the QBs other than Vick in the deal for Edwards I'd look into that, if it sounds like Favre is going to retire.

marshallb
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
A first and a third for Ray Edwards? Count me in. He was great in the playoffs, but he hasn't really shown that he's worth THAT much.

It's only a first, but that's still good value in this deep of a draft. I also think LT is trying to drive up his price, but I don't see us or any team for that matter over paying too much with Westbrook as well as Fargas and Larry Johnson still out there. None of those guys are going to get a starting job, especially not on a SB contending team, like they'd like.

prock
03-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I would love to keep Ray. He is pretty damn good, but he is definitely worth giving up for a first and a third. We could grab Williams, Weatherspoon, Iupati, Thomas, or someone else who is falling.

marshallb
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I would love to keep Ray. He is pretty damn good, but he is definitely worth giving up for a first and a third. We could grab Williams, Weatherspoon, Iupati, Thomas, or someone else who is falling.

Again, it's only a first that we'd be getting, not a first and third.

prock
03-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Again, it's only a first that we'd be getting, not a first and third.

Well ****, a first will do too.

djp
03-12-2010, 11:01 AM
I thought we gave him the highest tender?

marshallb
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
I thought we gave him the highest tender?

nope only the first round tender.

BlueBandit24
03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm starting to hope that somebody tosses an offer at Edwards. It might be tough to re-sign him since he and his agent appear that they want elite defensive end money, and while Edwards his solid, he does not even touch the elite ends in the league. A 1st or a QB from Philadelphia would be fantastic.

vikes_28
03-12-2010, 11:55 AM
So would this mean that we have picks 25 and 30? If so I'd like to see us trade up with a first and second to get Bradford or Clausen.

The Dynasty
03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
So would this mean that we have picks 25 and 30? If so I'd like to see us trade up with a first and second to get Bradford or Clausen.

Even if we trade the 25th pick if we got it and the the 2nd rounder.. we would still need to hope for one of them to fall to the mid 1st and most of the experts are saying Rams will take bradford.. so Clausen would have to fall past Washington, Buffalo, and Seattle.

But Id be happy with 2 1st round picks and losing Ray Edwards.. He is a good DE but he is has a lot of success because of the Line he was put in. I mean Jared Allen or Kevin Williams probably get doubled each play. So i think Robison could easily replace Ray.

Crazy_Chris
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd rather keep Ray this year to help with a superbowl push. However Sidney Rice, Chad Greenway, and Ray Edwards are all going to need extensions next year and Ray is definatly on the bottom of that totem pole. So if they expect Ray Edwards to be asking for a top level DE contract than trade him while we can get some excellent value.

If a trade is going to happen I would like a trade to PHI involving their first and Brian Westbrook(obviously dependany on what happens with LT).

The Dynasty
03-12-2010, 03:19 PM
I'd rather keep Ray this year to help with a superbowl push. However Sidney Rice, Chad Greenway, and Ray Edwards are all going to need extensions next year and Ray is definatly on the bottom of that totem pole. So if they expect Ray Edwards to be asking for a top level DE contract than trade him while we can get some excellent value.

If a trade is going to happen I would like a trade to PHI involving their first and Brian Westbrook(obviously dependany on what happens with LT).

I thought Westbrook was cut by the eagles last week?

prock
03-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Ray Edwards for McNabb?

Crazy_Chris
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I thought Westbrook was cut by the eagles last week?

You are probably right, I didn't think so but I haven't been paying too much attention to his situation. If so scratch the part about him in the trade.

BlueBandit24
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Yea, Westy was released two weeks ago. There has not been much news regarding teams being interested in him, which makes me wonder if most teams feel he is pretty much done.

hagy34
03-13-2010, 04:39 PM
Zulgad just posted on Twitter that Jimmy K is back with the Vikes. Good news.

The Dynasty
03-13-2010, 04:46 PM

The deal is 2 years 6 million.. Not bad. He did pretty well coming off the bench for us.

vikes_28
03-13-2010, 05:31 PM

awesome news!

russie
03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
my two cents:

i hope the eagles sign edwards to an offer sheet. we can use that first round pick to draft a pretty good player, and as previously mentioned, this is a deep draft, and a decent DE can be picked up later. with two first round picks, we are sitting in a very pretty position to pick up two solid contributors or even trade up.

westbrook is done. no one has been sniffing around him, and there are plenty of teams that could use help at RB. i think LT signs with the jets, and it doesnt really bother me if that happens. while LT would be a decent pick up, i still would rather have fargas.

vikes_28
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Jerry Hughes anyone? I see him as a more athletic version of Ray Edwards. Although he wouldn't stop the run nearly as well as Ray. But Hughes, Allen, And Kevin Williams would be scary.

BlueBandit24
03-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Jerry Hughes anyone? I see him as a more athletic version of Ray Edwards. Although he wouldn't stop the run nearly as well as Ray. But Hughes, Allen, And Kevin Williams would be scary.

I think he is more of a 3-4 OLB, but I wouldn't be opposed to a Hughes pick.

The_Dude
03-13-2010, 06:31 PM
While i am glad that kennedy is back, i just hope that this does not dissuade the vikes from drafting an eventual replacement (see sig, price, cody?) for fat pat.

on a side note, it is promising that LT left nyc w/out a contract.

The Dynasty
03-13-2010, 06:43 PM
While i am glad that kennedy is back, i just hope that this does not dissuade the vikes from drafting an eventual replacement (see sig, price, cody?) for fat pat.

Personally I think LT comes to the Vikings. We give him the best chance of a championship. I know the Jets were just in the AFCCG but If Favre comes back and we have AD and LT in the backfield and along with our Defense.. we have to be one of the top favorites.

hagy34
03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
my two cents:
westbrook is done. no one has been sniffing around him, and there are plenty of teams that could use help at RB. i think LT signs with the jets, and it doesnt really bother me if that happens. while LT would be a decent pick up, i still would rather have fargas.

You say Westy isn't getting a sniff and at the same time say you'd rather have Fargas than LT? Fargas supposedly failed a physical and clearly isn't checking out well with any other team that's looked at him. If we don't get LT it's either a rookie or Albert Young.

Crazy_Chris
03-13-2010, 09:16 PM

I don't see why it would stop them from looking at a replacement for Pat. Kennedy can be a quality depth guy but he isn't a guy that should be a full time starter on a team. I think the lack of intrest in an already weak F/A market would suggest that just about the rest of the NFL feels the same.

russie
03-14-2010, 01:13 PM
doesnt mean anything, but:

Report: L.T. is poised to become a J-E-T
Posted by Mike Florio on March 14, 2010 1:48 PM ET
With free-agent running back LaDainian Tomlinson pondering his options after meeting with the Vikings and the Jets last week, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the signs a pointing to L.T. heading to New York.

Acee, who stops short of reporting that it definitely will happen, cites three sources who believe it will. One source said that it's a "done deal."

Another source told Acee that a decision has not officially been made.

Stay tuned.

russie
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
You say Westy isn't getting a sniff and at the same time say you'd rather have Fargas than LT? Fargas supposedly failed a physical and clearly isn't checking out well with any other team that's looked at him. If we don't get LT it's either a rookie or Albert Young.

there had been talk that the raiders just released him to avoid paying him, and a few teams have been bringing him to at least look at him, where as i havent seen or heard anyone even mentioning westbrooks name.

who knows, maybe i'm just blinded by the fact that it's huggy bear's son ;)

General Zod
03-14-2010, 01:22 PM
**** LT. lol

I still want us to find a vetern RB for a back up.

russie
03-14-2010, 05:40 PM
bad news for some:

Tomlinson picks the Jets
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 14, 2010 6:11 PM ET
LaDainian Tomlinson has made his decision. He's going to be a New York Jet.

Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting that Tomlinson and the Jets reached an agreement today on a two-year contract.

Tomlinson's decision, which had been expected for the last couple of days, comes after he considered the Minnesota Vikings, where he visited on Thursday. On Friday he visited the Jets and on Saturday he flew home to San Diego to spend some time thinking before making up his mind.

Tomlinson will join a backfield that also includes running back Shonn Greene, who's coming off a strong rookie season with the Jets in 2009. During the regular season Greene carried 108 times for 540 yards, and in three playoff games he had 54 carries for 304 yards.

The question now is whether Tomlinson, who will turn 31 in June, has enough left to contribute to a Jets team that's coming off a loss in the AFC Championship Game and has Super Bowl aspirations. In 2009 Tomlinson had a career-low 730 rushing yards and a career-low 3.3 yards a carry.

yo123
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
That bastard better give us that jersey back.

russie
03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
That bastard better give us that jersey back.

lol :)

BlueBandit24
03-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I was pretty ambivalent towards the idea of LT the entire time so this really doesn't affect me one way or the other. I felt he could of reprised the role of 3rd down back fairly well, and I would have preferred to have not used a draft pick on a runner, but there should be a capable back-up available in the mid-rounds.

JFLO
03-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I think Brett Favre is the reason that L.T. didn't sign with the team. I think he asked the team and maybe even Brett himself if he was coming back and he never got a clear definitive answer. If he had gotten a yes, then he would have signed when he visited on Tuesday.

I think the same thing happened with T.J. Houshmandazeh last year, but it was a bit of a different scenario with T-Jack and Sage Rosenfels, but no clear-cut quarterback to throw to him.

Thanks Brett.

BlueBandit24
03-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Sometimes not signing a guy can be a huge move. Not nabbing Housh last year was huge; it paved the way for Sidney's breakout season -- no way our offense is as potent if we have Housh as opposed to Rice. I doubt the LT situation garners the same results, but just trying to put a positive spin on it for anyone bummed about his choice of New York. :cool:

The_Dude
03-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Agreed. It worked out last year with us drafting Harvin. I think that we will be looking to grab a back-up/change of pace rb within the first 3 rounds of the draft this year.

...stupid LT...

vikes_28
03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
The LT thing doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that Favre won't make a decision to come back or not until September. :eek:

hagy34
03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
A running back is probably a lock now in the 1st three rounds. It'll sure be interesting to see what happens if Best is available. I know what everyone is thinking, he can't block. But the sex appeal of Peterson and Best is just what the doctor ordered to put even more butts in the seats.

Personally, I like Montario Hardesty in the 3rd....

hagy34
03-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Sometimes not signing a guy can be a huge move. Not nabbing Housh last year was huge; it paved the way for Sidney's breakout season -- no way our offense is as potent if we have Housh as opposed to Rice. I doubt the LT situation garners the same results, but just trying to put a positive spin on it for anyone bummed about his choice of New York. :cool:

Not to mention we probably pass on Harvin if we sign Housh...

BlueBandit24
03-15-2010, 09:39 AM

I'd LOVE Hardesty in the 3rd. A complete back who never fumbled in college...an ideal back-up who I think could step in and carry the load if Peterson ever went down for an extended period of time. I actually prefer him to Best straight up, so getting him later would be fantastic. I think we'd have to use our 2nd to nab him at this point, and he might even be gone before that.

JFLO
03-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I wouldn't mind having Hardesty either, but I would also love to see Dexter McCluster in a Vikings uniform as well.

Percy is a much better player (same type) than McCluster, but I just love him as a player and I think he could put a lot on the table as a receiver out of the backfield.

I'm also high on Ben Tate, although his hands are a bit raw in terms of receiving.

vikes_28
03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
I still like Albert Young.

prock
03-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I still like Ian Johnson :)

BuckNaked
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I still like Ian Johnson :)

I still like Michael Bennett..

Crazy_Chris
03-15-2010, 06:55 PM
A running back is probably a lock now in the 1st three rounds. It'll sure be interesting to see what happens if Best is available. I know what everyone is thinking, he can't block. But the sex appeal of Peterson and Best is just what the doctor ordered to put even more butts in the seats.

I wouldn't hate the pick of a 1st RD RB, but I really don't think it would be a good choice for the Vikes. The Vikes are not a 2 back team(aside from 2007) Adrian has been the workhorse and thats the way it is going to be. Chester Taylor was a phenomenal 3rd down back and a very good #2 option yet he struggled to even get 10 touches a game. On top of that Percy Harvin's role out of the back field will more than likely be expanded a bit. So now we are talking about using a 1st rounder on a guy who will touch the ball about 5 times a game, maybe 10 if he is lucky.

IMO they need to get some good young talent to add to the Defense in the first 2 rounds. I think 3rd is the earlierst they should look at drafting another RB.

Dr. Gonzo
03-16-2010, 12:07 AM
I wouldn't hate the pick of a 1st RD RB, but I really don't think it would be a good choice for the Vikes. The Vikes are not a 2 back team(aside from 2007) Adrian has been the workhorse and thats the way it is going to be. Chester Taylor was a phenomenal 3rd down back and a very good #2 option yet he struggled to even get 10 touches a game. On top of that Percy Harvin's role out of the back field will more than likely be expanded a bit. So now we are talking about using a 1st rounder on a guy who will touch the ball about 5 times a game, maybe 10 if he is lucky.

IMO they need to get some good young talent to add to the Defense in the first 2 rounds. I think 3rd is the earlierst they should look at drafting another RB.

I was thinking exactly this. I would like to see the Vikes go defense with their first two picks unless they see a lot of value in an interior lineman. There will still be a lot of great backs in round 3 so I would hope Childress and co. wait until the.

marshallb
03-16-2010, 10:51 AM
I agree big time with the last two posts. If we can get some defensive talent in the 1st 2 rounds, that'd be ideal, but we still have to look at RG if there is great value early. Right now my dream draft is probably Dan Williams, Nate Allen, Montario Hardesty, and then best available OG/CB/OLB, unless a QB falls hard.

BlueBandit24
03-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Those are excellent points by Crazy Chris. I definitely don't think using a 1st round pick on a runner who's only going to touch the ball a handful of times per game is worth it. Defense in the 1st makes a lot of sense unless a talented offensive lineman falls. I'd like to see us draft an LT fairly early...somebody who can push McKinnie and eventually take over (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Ozzy
03-16-2010, 03:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aNqXCWTIsM

Note not a plug, I did not make this, but it is pretty funny, stupid but funny.

contento
03-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I thought 2 things when I heard the news about LT...

1- Screw him.

2- Well, at least this might give us one more compensatory pick next year!

The Dynasty
03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aNqXCWTIsM

Note not a plug, I did not make this, but it is pretty funny, stupid but funny.

I hate when fans make songs about the teams. I consider it bad luck.. a bunch came out with the vikings this past season once we killed the cowboys. Some fan of the Patriots made one when they were 18-0. Its bad luck.

djp
03-17-2010, 01:38 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5001642

BlueBandit24
03-17-2010, 09:18 AM
I hate when fans make songs about the teams. I consider it bad luck.. a bunch came out with the vikings this past season once we killed the cowboys. Some fan of the Patriots made one when they were 18-0. Its bad luck.

Not to mention when KDWB made that stupid remix of Will Smith's "Miami" when the 1998 Superbowl was in Miami. I knew we were doomed when a crappy station made an even crappier song about the Vikes going to the Superbowl. It should be banned...

marshallb
03-17-2010, 09:39 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5001642

Good to see EJ back going, I hope he's ready to go by the start of next season, it'd be remarkable to have that happen with how bad it looked.

vikes_28
03-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Leg breaks aren't the worst thing that can happen. It is terrible, don't get me wrong there. But leg breaks heal up pretty fast. Knees are another issue. It's very good to hear about him walking under his own power again. That was a nasty looking injury. I hope he's back under full health again.

General Zod
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Shawn Andrews just got released by the Eagles. Im wondering if he'll find his way here. I wouldnt mind it so much as long as they didnt give him a lot of money. He would help our depth at the very least.

General Zod
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
What do you all think about maybe getting Tye Hill or Nathen Vasher signed cheap, just for depth at cb?

The Dynasty
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
What do you all think about maybe getting Tye Hill or Nathen Vasher signed cheap, just for depth at cb?

I'd Take Vasher over Hill because of the Cover 2 experience. But he has had injury concerns. But we need a get some more depth at CB... I rather go young and through the draft though.

Shawn Andrews could be interesting.. we need some depth at G but i know the Vikings like players who can play more than 1 position on the line and I don't know if he does.. if he does then could be a good signing if he stays healthy.

Crazy_Chris
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
I'd Take Vasher over Hill because of the Cover 2 experience. But he has had injury concerns. But we need a get some more depth at CB... I rather go young and through the draft though.

Shawn Andrews could be interesting.. we need some depth at G but i know the Vikings like players who can play more than 1 position on the line and I don't know if he does.. if he does then could be a good signing if he stays healthy.

Shawn Andrews is a very intriguing possiblity to me. He could push Herrara at RG(more than likely beat him out if he is 100%) aswell as he could be depth for LG and RT. Herrara could than become our main backup at C and RG.

As for the CB's I agree I would rather draft another young guy than sign either of those 2.

The_Dude
03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
Good to see EJ back going, I hope he's ready to go by the start of next season, it'd be remarkable to have that happen with how bad it looked.

Maybe he got going on his rehab so that he didn't have to hear this anymore...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/27/chilly-sings-at-the-combine/

jimmylishis
03-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Leg breaks aren't the worst thing that can happen. It is terrible, don't get me wrong there. But leg breaks heal up pretty fast. Knees are another issue. It's very good to hear about him walking under his own power again. That was a nasty looking injury. I hope he's back under full health again.

hes not walking quite yet, i saw him last week and he was still using a cane to get around. Im sure hell be back, maybe not for the beginning of next season but he has one of the best work ethics i'v ever seen.

prock
03-18-2010, 12:52 AM

I remember Tye Hill's rookie year and I ******* loved him on Madden. Picked him up in like round 21 and he said like 97 speed. Nothing would make me happier to see him on the Vikes in Madden 11

marshallb
03-18-2010, 10:54 AM
hes not walking quite yet, i saw him last week and he was still using a cane to get around. Im sure hell be back, maybe not for the beginning of next season but he has one of the best work ethics i'v ever seen.

According to the ESPN article:
Henderson says he started walking without a cane a few weeks ago. He says his recovery is on schedule and that he should be back by August.

So according to that he is walking on his own now and he should be back by right around the beginning of the season, which I'd be very fine with, even if he misses a little time, better to have him come back at 100% after a couple extra weeks than risk re-injury or anything like that.

Ozzy
03-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Shawn Andrews just got released by the Eagles. Im wondering if he'll find his way here. I wouldnt mind it so much as long as they didnt give him a lot of money. He would help our depth at the very least.What are you talking depth? Isn't Andrews a former pro bowl guard? Unless he has injury issues, the kid is a flat out player and a great talent. I bet he gets a starting job in the NFL next year, he is not a backup, doubt the Vikings have the money to pay him.

djp
03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

So our ball first and 10 from the 25? Haha, saw that tweet. Classic.

Vikes99ej
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
What are you talking depth? Isn't Andrews a former pro bowl guard? Unless he has injury issues, the kid is a flat out player and a great talent. I bet he gets a starting job in the NFL next year, he is not a backup, doubt the Vikings have the money to pay him.

He's a headcase. I'll pass. I think the Vikes have to take the BPA regardless, but we need to aim for offensive and defensive linemen.

vikes_28
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
What are you talking depth? Isn't Andrews a former pro bowl guard? Unless he has injury issues, the kid is a flat out player and a great talent. I bet he gets a starting job in the NFL next year, he is not a backup, doubt the Vikings have the money to pay him.

I thought he had injury and attitude problems.

BlueBandit24
03-24-2010, 12:04 PM
No thanks on Andrews. The guy hasn't played in a game since 2008 and has serious back issues along with some pretty serious mental stuff going on. I'd much rather go guard in the middle rounds as opposed to taking a chance on him.

The Dynasty
03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Montgomery agrees to deal with Vikings

Free-agent defensive end Mike Montgomery agreed to a one-year deal with the Vikings on Monday after spending the day visiting with team officials. Montgomery is the second free agent of note to join the Vikings this offseason, joining kickoff specialist Rhys Lloyd.

A sixth-round pick by Green Bay out of Texas A&M in 2005, Montgomery was released by the Packers this month. He had dealt with injuries in 2009 and also was not considered a real fit for the new 3-4 defensive scheme that had been put into place by coordinator Dom Capers.

Montgomery, who is 6-5, 282 pounds, had his best season in 2008, when he recorded 2.5 sacks and 59 tackles in 14 games. He made the only eight starts of his career that season. The Packers thought enough of Montgomery's contribution that season that they signed him to a two-year contract a year ago.

Montgomery, 26, has five career sacks and will backup at the end positions. He also could slide inside to provide rushing help on passing downs.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/89477247.html?elr=KArksU9PmP:QiU47cQUU

General Zod
03-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Um, am I alone here with not understanding this signing?