PDA

View Full Version : Auburn/Cam Newton under NCAA investigation

Pages : [1] 2

wicket
11-04-2010, 05:05 PM
/special season

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214)

BeerBaron
11-04-2010, 05:13 PM
NCAA GO THE **** AWAY!

grumble....

CashmoneyDrew
11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Rumor cam was paid 200k for his loi.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Now we know why he's going pro after 1 year

BeerBaron
11-04-2010, 05:17 PM

This could quickly become .75 of a year....

Deny everything and drag it out to the end of the season Cam!

wicket
11-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Rumor cam was paid 200k for his loi.

combine these 2 statements and he should already be regarded a pro. 200k for 1 year is a mighty interesting salary

wonderbredd24
11-04-2010, 05:19 PM
NCAA GO THE **** AWAY!

grumble....
NCAA? If the kid actually had his hand out like this alleges, **** him.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-04-2010, 05:20 PM
When you consider that college plays less games (and that he might not be finishing this season) it's basically the NFL minimum

Though you have to wonder if Auburn thought it would be a 2 year contract. That's why you don't front load the signing bonus dummies!

JoeJoeBrown
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM

MY schadenfreude center is exploding.

Then, again, every bigtime football school is funneling big time players cash in one way shape or form.

BeerBaron
11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Then, again, every bigtime football school is funneling big time players cash in one way shape or form.

Pretty much....you're not dumb for doing it, you're only dumb when you get caught.

wonderbredd24
11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
MY schadenfreude center is exploding.

I have no problem with this argument, but don't be pissed at the NCAA for doing their job when they catch kids doing it.

It's like being pissed at the cops for busting people for drugs. You may not agree with it, but it's the set of rules in place and they were merely enforcing said rules.

I also am so tired of the victim card being played for these kids (not that the quoted post does that, but a general frustration). They have their hands out and are looking to get paid.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Anyone think this affects his Heisman chances with a lot of voters minds still fresh on the Reggie Bush fiasco regardless of if Newton is ever proven to have done anything?

wicket
11-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Anyone think this affects his Heisman chances with a lot of voters minds still fresh on the Reggie Bush fiasco regardless of if Newton is ever proven to have done anything?

I think that they will focus on getting this figured out as quickly as possible

JoeJoeBrown
11-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I have no problem with this argument, but don't be pissed at the NCAA for doing their job when they catch kids doing it.

It's like being pissed at the cops for busting people for drugs. You may not agree with it, but it's the set of rules in place and they were merely enforcing said rules.

I also am so tired of the victim card being played for these kids (not that the quoted post does that, but a general frustration). They have their hands out and are looking to get paid.

Oh, I don't disagree. And I think that the magnitude here is pretty crazy and is out of line for what a lot of the kids get.

However, if this stuff is true, Cam Newton is a complete turd of a human.

I don't want to throw stones when, as an OSU fan, we live in a giant house made of glass.

@SeanTaylor: Yes, I think you are right. He is tainted goods now no matter what evidence pops up or not.

TitanHope
11-04-2010, 05:42 PM
I am shocked! Shocked an appalled!

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2010, 05:44 PM
The funny thing though is that this guy would have never come out if Cam wasn't doing so well and a Heisman front runner. If he were the backup at Auburn I guarantee you wouldn't hear a peep out of this guy.

JoeJoeBrown
11-04-2010, 05:49 PM
The funny thing though is that this guy would have never come out if Cam wasn't doing so well and a Heisman front runner. If he were the backup at Auburn I guarantee you wouldn't hear a peep out of this guy.

Maybe. However, rivals in the SEC love dropping the bomb on other programs.

The only thing surprising out of all of this is that Saban underbid.

fenikz
11-04-2010, 05:54 PM
good bye heisman and good bye season

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2010, 05:55 PM
If Kellen Moore wins the Heisman I will shoot myself.

wonderbredd24
11-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Seems like a weak reason to off yourself, but more power to you. Do whomever might find you a favor and do it in a bath tub for easier clean up.

Vikes99ej
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Ho hum, nothing to see here

TitanHope
11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Seems like a weak reason to off yourself, but more power to you. Do whomever might find you a favor and do it in a bath tub for easier clean up.

This. That's how my friend did it. Saved his mom a whole lot of trouble.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2010, 06:10 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

wicket
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I'll keep that in mind.

be a doll, dont do it by jumping for a train, that is a bummer

P-L
11-04-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah, you know Bond waited until now to hit Auburn when it would hurt the most. Looks like the NCAA is going to have just enough time to investigate this before Bowl season.

iowatreat54
11-04-2010, 06:32 PM
be a doll, dont do it by jumping for a train, that is a bummer

Plus it just ruins everyone's day who is on the train or trains after it because they have to stop and then everything is delayed. It's ridiculous.

lowlife
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Strap a bomb and blow something up. Don't go out like a *****

wicket
11-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Plus it just ruins everyone's day who is on the train or trains after it because they have to stop and then everything is delayed. It's ridiculous.

that is the bummer i was taling about

critesy
11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
i want to post in here but all my info is premium. so im just going to say i feel good.

niel89
11-04-2010, 07:21 PM
i want to post in here but all my info is premium. so im just going to say i feel good.

Bottom line, is this just going to blow over?

yo123
11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
This is getting to be like the steroid issue for me in baseball. Everyone does it so I really don't care.

LizardState
11-04-2010, 08:15 PM

To be fair, Bama fans are giving Auburn & Newton just as much consideration for innocent until proven guilty as the War Eagles gave the Tide in their last probation.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!! :--D

So Mr. Heisman Hopeful won't be making the trip to Tuscaloosa with his new team after all.......that sucking sound you hear is Newton kssing his Heisman goodbye.

Remember, this guy was the one with a stolen laptop at Florida & threw it out the window when the cops were coming up the athletic dorm stairwell.... allegedly.

critesy
11-04-2010, 08:16 PM
newton is eligible to play...

critesy
11-04-2010, 08:24 PM
article from new york times

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/05/sports/ncaafootball/05auburn.html?_r=2&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+nyt/rss/Sports+%28NYT+%3E+Sports%29&utm_content=Twitter&src=twt&twt=nytimessports

TitanHope
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
So, you say Kenny Rogers is behind it all?

http://static.flickr.com/49/140152292_ed3bc5a8a6.jpg

RAISED ON THE DAIRY, BITCHES!!!

iowatreat54
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Sorry critesy, but eligible =/= innocent. Especially at this point in time. It could mean that A. there isn't enough to "convict" yet or B. Auburn doesn't want to declare him ineligible yet.

Either way, it doesn't mean everything is ok...yet.

JoeJoeBrown
11-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Sorry critesy, but eligible =/= innocent. Especially at this point in time. It could mean that A. there isn't enough to "convict" yet or B. Auburn doesn't want to declare him ineligible yet.

Either way, it doesn't mean everything is ok...yet.

Yeah, no kidding. Talk about cherry picking some hope :)

I mean, the MSU guys turned the info in last year. I think people are just starting to talk because 1) The NCAA hasn't released anything yet and 2) Auburn and Cam are on a tear right now.

Hopefully the NCAA moves sooner rather than later. But they are slower than molasses on a winter day. Auburn will get their season wiped in about 5 years, ala USC.

CashmoneyDrew
11-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Newton being eligible means zip. Maybe there was legitimate reason Kiffin backed off of recruiting him to Tennessee after all.

Either way, this may very well end his Heisman hopes. I don't think the trust wants another Bush situation. Not that they're the voters but...

iowatreat54
11-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Newton being eligible means zip. Maybe there was legitimate reason Kiffin backed off of recruiting him to Tennessee after all.

Either way, this may very well end his Heisman hopes. I don't think the trust wants another Bush situation. Not that they're the voters but...

Precisely. I don't think it means he's guilty or not guilty, but it definitely doesn't mean he is absolutely innocent. It just means they don't want/have to "suspend" him yet.

And yea, even if before the vote he's found to have done nothing wrong, I really think the Heisman voters will shy away from voting for him just because if anything comes out later down the road. I would bet they play it safe.

JoeJoeBrown
11-05-2010, 11:34 AM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/583513/itsawonderfulheist.gif

LSUFreek is a genius.

SickwithIt1010
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/583513/itsawonderfulheist.gif

LSUFreek is a genius.

bahahaha i laughed pretty damn hard.

Sniper
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I want to meet LSUFreek and thank him for being the greatest artist alive.

Sniper
11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I would bet they play it safe.

Denard Robinson is a pretty safe pick! :D

JoeJoeBrown
11-05-2010, 12:20 PM

He definitely should be top 3.

Sniper
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
JJB, does this increase Newton's swagger factor?

wonderbredd24
11-05-2010, 12:29 PM

for what? 1 conference win?

iowatreat54
11-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Well, over the final 4 games since Adam Robinson is hurting, Stanzi is going to average 400 yards and 5 TDs.

So he will have about 3700 yards, 39 TDs and 2 INTs while completing about 70% of his passes and passing Kellen Moore in passing efficiency. There's your safe pick. :)

It's going to happen, and he will wear an American flag cape all the while. How's that for swagger?

:)

Sniper
11-05-2010, 12:34 PM
for what? 1 conference win?

http://livingelpaso.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/haters.jpg

I wish Denard had Auburn's defense behind him. :(

Back on topic, Auburn is most likely ******.

wonderbredd24
11-05-2010, 12:36 PM
http://livingelpaso.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/haters.jpg

I wish Denard had Auburn's defense behind him. :(

Back on topic, Auburn is most likely ******.
You might want to aim a little higher than Auburn's defense

Sniper
11-05-2010, 12:39 PM
You might want to aim a little higher than Auburn's defense

When you're in the 100s for almost everything, you take a D in the mid-50s.

BeerBaron
11-05-2010, 12:43 PM
It's true that Auburn's defense is better than Michigan....though 11 random posters here could probably field something better than what Michigan has. Hell put me at MLB. I can at least dive towards the guy running with the ball and maybe get a hand on him.....that practically qualifies me for a scholarship by Michigan defensive standards.....

But Auburn's defense sucks too. It's piss poor for an SEC defense.

shylo3716
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a gut felling Cam is not innocent. If he is my bad, but you're guilty until proven innocent. I'm just not surprised at all about this whole situation. Your 1 of THE top players coming out of JUCO with your elite size and talent, of course you're going to get $ thrown at you to join a program. I guess he will have to continue to show out to get that 1st rd status so his pockets will make up for what he is alleged to have took. LIKE COACH SAID ALL THAT MATTERS IS CAM NEWTON IS INDEED ELIGIBLE.

Sniper
11-05-2010, 02:34 PM
The most important thing, however, is how strong their swagger factors are.
Newton
South of the Mason Dixon +10 swagger
Barely literate +5 swagger
Thief +15 swagger
Kicked off of a team of thugs +20 swagger
Big, average speed -3 swagger
Hasn't done jacksquat on the field +15 swagger
Total Swagger: 62
ATL College Park Zone 3* +20 swagger Bonus pts

This has to be a +200 in swagger.

descendency
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM
This is why LOIs are bad for sports. If you create something of value, people WILL pay for it.

JoeJoeBrown
11-05-2010, 03:30 PM
This has to be a +200 in swagger.

LOL! Blast from the past :)

I'm flattered that anyone remembered.

I like your implied formula: 1 Swagger point per $1000 in pay.

Heisman finalist = +50 swagger
Heisman winner = + 50 swagger (on top of finalist)
QB for BCS championship team = +100 swagger
Destroying BCS championship chances by getting caught with a major infraction = +250 swagger

The guy might explode from all of that if any of it comes true.

shylo3716
11-05-2010, 03:36 PM
LOL! Blast from the past :)

I'm flattered that anyone remembered.

I like your implied formula: 1 Swagger point per $1000 in pay.

Heisman finalist = +50 swagger
Heisman winner = + 50 swagger (on top of finalist)
QB for BCS championship team = +100 swagger
Destroying BCS championship chances by getting caught with a major infraction = +250 swagger

The guy might explode from all of that if any of it comes true.

Hey I gave him 20 extra bonus pts just for being from Zone 3 in ATL lol

JoeJoeBrown
11-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Hey I gave him 20 extra bonus pts just for being from Zone 3 in ATL lol

I was wondering where that came from! I certainly have no idea what ATL zone 3 is :)

shylo3716
11-05-2010, 05:25 PM
I was wondering where that came from! I certainly have no idea what ATL zone 3 is :)

College Park is in the Atlanta GA area and its also called Zone 3 lol

critesy
11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1018821.html

CashmoneyDrew
11-05-2010, 07:52 PM
http://cfn.scout.com/2/1018821.html

That guy is an atrocious writer, even if you discount that abortion of an article I just read. His opinion shouldn't be given any credibility.

critesy
11-05-2010, 07:58 PM
you can kinda keep up to date with things with this..

http://twitter.com/JHokanson

critesy
11-05-2010, 07:59 PM
That guy is an atrocious writer, even if you discount that abortion of an article I just read. His opinion shouldn't be given any credibility.

he is horrible, yesterday he wrote an article a complete 360 from this and signed off as SMU. and now he brings this.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-05-2010, 09:39 PM
he is horrible, yesterday he wrote an article a complete 360 from this and signed off as SMU. and now he brings this.

A complete 360 would mean he wrote a similar article...

iowatreat54
11-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Also, why do I want to keep up to date with "information" from an Auburn writer? Wouldn't that be kind of pointless? Don't I want to keep up to date from an unbiased source?

49erNation85
11-05-2010, 10:37 PM

What do you have against his greatness at Boise State .Hes done a great deal there as a small type QB player and well deserve the Heisman as much as Newton does if not MORE . If Boise State gets in the National Title game and WINS he should get the trophy .Honestly Newton has a great deal in Auburn but isn't quiet the QB just yet .He is a runner still . I would give him the trophy is he was a RB for the team but as a hybrid QB not quiet yet .

iowatreat54
11-05-2010, 10:49 PM
What do you have against his greatness at Boise State .Hes done a great deal there as a small type QB player and well deserve the Heisman as much as Newton does if not MORE . If Boise State gets in the National Title game and WINS he should get the trophy .Honestly Newton has a great deal in Auburn but isn't quiet the QB just yet .He is a runner still . I would give him the trophy is he was a RB for the team but as a hybrid QB not quiet yet .

Kellen Moore is not the most outstanding player in the country.

If he was, he wouldn't have the same stats as Ricky Stanzi against weaker competition.

The Heisman is not the MVP.

critesy
11-06-2010, 03:37 AM
A complete 360 would mean he wrote a similar article...
true, 180.. you catch my drift

Also, why do I want to keep up to date with "information" from an Auburn writer? Wouldn't that be kind of pointless? Don't I want to keep up to date from an unbiased source?
youre absolutely right, its not like hes re tweeting the AP press or espn writers. or even re-capping live interviews with kenny rogers and etc.

LizardState
11-06-2010, 08:32 AM
NCAA is going after his father's bank statements.

Is that serious enough? Maybe they think some $ changed hands?

But you're right about it not affecting his draft chances, I don't think the pros give a rat's.....However there will be questions asked at the Combine by all teams interested, he better be well coached on his answers.

Better than what he told Jim Rome in his radio interview that Rome replayed yesterday:

"My next move will be a business decision..." (alarm bell rings) wrong answer Cam, that one could come back to haunt you.

JoeJoeBrown
11-06-2010, 10:58 AM
"My next move will be a business decision..." (alarm bell rings) wrong answer Cam, that one could come back to haunt you.

Wow. More fuel to the fire.

wonderbredd24
11-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Reportedly, Newton cheated at Florida academically.

True or not, this has no bearing on his eligibility at Auburn, but there's a lot of smoke around this kid

txparkes49x
11-09-2010, 03:07 PM
As a huge Auburn fan, i hate to read this because all it does is rain on the parade of doing great. Its just so bad to be number 2 and feel like your QB wont win the Heisman or you wont go to the national championship, like its not enough. I agree with "Wonderbredd" he is a ton of smoke around him. But that was at Florida so i mean it shouldn't have an effect on his Heisman chances. But it does anyway. Honestly but sadly its to the point where your guilty till proven innocent and when its all said and done when he does win the Heisman and we win the National Championship its gonna be a huge asterisk by it. Quite frankly i am pissed the f**k off that this is happening. Unbiasedly or not I'm starting to believe it is a character attack. Granted i have no proof and my opinion my be bias but i mean i bet he did cheat at Florida. at Florida he sounded like a dumb ass. But i don't think he was paid to go to Auburn from the bottom of my heart and gut feeling. I really hope i am right and this is all over hyped media bull s**t.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I guess I'm one of the few but I don't listen to any of this crap and could care less about any of these accusations unless he is deemed ineligible from school. Unless that happens I remain a big fan of Newton and still pray for an Oregon vs Auburn title game, that would be so epic, like 55-50 or something.

Sniper
11-09-2010, 10:03 PM
ESPN is saying that Cam Newton and his dad admitted in phone conversations that it would take money to get Cam. If true, Auburn is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuccccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

Sniper
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
The Heisman is not the MVP.

Even if it were, Kellen Moore wouldn't be winning it.

NotRickJames
11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Hear these allegations of cheating in academics?

I have no doubt he has. Most kids do, myself included. No shame in it.

JoeJoeBrown
11-09-2010, 10:32 PM

No shame in it?

Silver & Blue
11-09-2010, 11:01 PM
This is VERY telling if it is true and provides even more evidence against Newton.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

jballa838
11-09-2010, 11:17 PM
I feel bad for him. 21 years old and he has the entire world trying to take him down. He's a victim whether he's ever proven guilty. That's the worst part of the system.

NotRickJames
11-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I feel bad for him. 21 years old and he has the entire world trying to take him down. He's a victim whether he's ever proven guilty. That's the worst part of the system.

I don't.

He's got an amazing talent and the potential to make some serious cash in the NFL. Only person who will stop him is himself.

bullg8rdaddy
11-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Victim if this is all false.

If true than I might feel a little bit bad for him, because it looks like his dad may have screwed him like Rev did to Marcus Dupree.

yourfavestoner
11-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Sounds like a lot of "if trues" so far.

God, the SEC is really made up of a bunch of tattle telling 15 year old girls. And I'm a huge SEC fan.

LizardState
11-10-2010, 10:18 AM

No shame? Are you ******* kidding me?

They caught him cheating 3 times, he was facing expulsion then transferred very suddenly to Blinn JC. Who knows how many times he actually cheated. Even Meyer & Florida with their program full of miscreants booted him as soon as they heard about it, you cannot defend cheating in academics.

Expulsion serious enough? No shame in that?

Too late to do anything about it now but it builds the fire higher & heat hotter on him. Auburn is getting closer to a no-win situation here, if the win a NC with him, it's tainted whether the NCAA takes action now or later against Newton. If the NCAA drops the hammer before this season ends, their chances at a national title are diminished by > half.

JoeJoeBrown
11-10-2010, 10:47 AM

They caught him cheating 3 times, he was facing expulsion then transferred very suddenly to Blinn JC. Who knows how many times he actually cheated. Even Meyer & Florida with their program full of miscreants booted him as soon as they heard about it, you cannot defend cheating in academics.

Yeah, that line of thought shocked and saddened me as well.

StickSkills
11-10-2010, 10:54 AM
So if schools can get death penalty for lack of institutional control, what happens when the organizational body (SEC) lacks oversight?

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Vegas just stopped taking bets on Georgia/Auburn. Something is up...

iowatreat54
11-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Vegas just stopped taking bets on Georgia/Auburn. Something is up...

An Iowa St. fan (random, I know) on their board just said in Dallas a radio station is "reporting" that the NCAA is preparing to rule Cam inelligible.

Not very reliable, but goes along with Vegas stopping bets.

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Chizik said in an SEC conference call that Newton is playing against Georgia.

bullg8rdaddy
O NOEZ!!!!

Complex
No shame in it?

You never cheated in school? lets not lie

iowatreat54
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
You never cheated in school? lets not lie

Just to clarify, you can still do something and be shameful for it. Just because someone cheated doesn't mean it's ok/not shameful necessarily.

Sniper
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Just to clarify, you can still do something and be shameful for it. Just because someone cheated doesn't mean it's ok/not shameful necessarily.

It's the NCAA's fault. They need to stop being so unreasonable. I mean, they ask kids to go to class, not cheat AND not accept benefits? It's just so hard for all these poor kids from the ghetto.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it is not a violation to even ask a school for money it's only a violation if you actually receive money, so unless they find some sort of evidence that Cam took money to play from Auburn I don't think he can be ruled ineligible.

Babylon
11-10-2010, 03:00 PM

Too late to do anything about it now but it builds the fire higher & heat hotter on him. Auburn is getting closer to a no-win situation here, if the win a NC with him, it's tainted whether the NCAA takes action now or later against Newton. If the NCAA drops the hammer before this season ends, their chances at a national title are diminished by > half.

Might as well find out what size jacket Andrew Luck wears for the heisman, not that he didnt deserve it already.

Sniper
11-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Might as well find out what size jacket Andrew Luck wears for the heisman, not that he didnt deserve it already.

Poor LaMichael James. No one informed me that he died. Such a young age, too.

Babylon
11-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Poor LaMichael James. No one informed me that he died. Such a young age, too.

Best QB in the country against a rb who's numbers are inflated because of the system they run there. I'll take Luck.

Sniper
11-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Best QB in the country against a rb who's numbers are inflated because of the system they run there. I'll take Luck.

James is still the top offensive player on the No. 1 team in the country, second-leading rusher in the country (would be No. 1 if if he hadn't missed the opener) and put up 257 yards and three touchdowns against Stanford. His worst game was 94 yards rushing and he's had at least 121 yards in every other game. If Newton doesn't win it, I like James' chances.

iowatreat54
11-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Just for argument's sake, what makes Luck's season better than Ricky Stanzi's?

(Stanzi doesn't deserve the Heisman, just making a comparison)

Sniper
11-10-2010, 03:18 PM

(Stanzi doesn't deserve the Heisman, just making a comparison)

Luck has had hype since the beginning of the season, so THERE!

Seriously, Ricky America has been awesome this year.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I'd take James right now for the Heisman and then I'd expect him to declare for the draft as well.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2010, 03:31 PM
On a pure numbers standpoint it's interesting to make the comparison since almost nobody considers him even a top 10 Heisman finalist and most don't consider him a "real QB" but:

Darron Thomas 2070 yards passing, 20 TD's, 6 INTs, 158.40 QB rating, 400 yards rushing, 4 TD's
Andrew Luck 2213 yards passing, 22 TD's, 6 INT's, 163.37 QB rating, 370 rushing yards, 3 TD's.

And Thomas is actually that guy who is the QB for the #1 team in the nation, not saying he deserves it but just wonder why he isn't even in the conversation. Yeah he has James with him but Darron is really the guy who operates the offense and keeps it going at its ridiculous pace. TBH though I think the voters are leaning towards Kellen Moore at this point.

Babylon
11-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Luck has had hype since the beginning of the season, so THERE!

Seriously, Ricky America has been awesome this year.

So one guy has been the beneficiary of hype and the other guy (with near identical numbers) has been awesome this year. OK.

Sniper
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
So one guy has been the beneficiary of hype and the other guy (with near identical numbers) has been awesome this year. OK.

Right, because I totally said Luck was undeserving of hype.

LizardState
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Stanzi has the best improvement arc in his career of any major program QB today, & he played against arguably tougher defenses than Luck.

Luck is however the better player, favorite for the #1 overall pick if he declares according to most of the mocks including McShay's today on ESPN.

Everybody has Luck going to Buffalo. Where do you see Newton going? Carolina?

iowatreat54
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Absolutely agreed. Luck is an outstanding QB and deserves all the hype. But his production isn't all that much different than Stanzi's, outside of his better rushing statistics really.

As of right now, I'd give it to James as well if I were a Heisman voter. The Newton fiasco is too risky as an unwanted PR mess down the line, especially after seemingly just getting past the Bush fiasco.

Babylon
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Right, because I totally said Luck was undeserving of hype.

You're backtracking there because you made it sound like the only reason Luck was in the conversation was because of hype.

Babylon
11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Absolutely agreed. Luck is an outstanding QB and deserves all the hype. But his production isn't all that much different than Stanzi's, outside of his better rushing statistics really.

As of right now, I'd give it to James as well if I were a Heisman voter. The Newton fiasco is too risky as an unwanted PR mess down the line, especially after seemingly just getting past the Bush fiasco.

I wouldnt give it to James because i could gain yardage in that offense, take him out of that lineup and i'm not sure they arent still undefeated. Without Luck (or Ricky for that matter) their teams are average at best.

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Where do you see Newton going?

The 2nd round.

JoeJoeBrown
11-10-2010, 03:58 PM
The 2nd round.

My guess is federal prison.

wicket
11-10-2010, 04:07 PM

before I read your post I wanted to make a post that read:

my guess is hell

in reply to the same post

Sniper
11-10-2010, 04:12 PM
You're backtracking there because you made it sound like the only reason Luck was in the conversation was because of hype.

Can you point out where I said that? I want the exact quote, verbatim, word-for-word where I said that the only reason Luck was in the conversation was due to hype. My response was to...

So no, I'm not backtracking. The reason why Luck has received more attention is because people knew more of him and heard about him more before the season than Stanzi.

I would sincerely appreciate it if you would stop attempting to attribute things to me that I never said. Thank you.

Babylon
11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

Sounds to me that his dad should be the one heading to the shed for awhile.

JoeJoeBrown
11-10-2010, 04:39 PM

True. But the joke wouldn't have worked as well.

LizardState
11-11-2010, 06:20 AM

True, still no word on the NCAA looking into his father's or his father's churches' financial rcds. Sounds like Rev. Dad was the bagman here & the beneficiary of any $ paid for Newton's services with these improvements recently made to at least one of his 5 churches that has suddenly been brought up to code. That alone has raised suspicions.

Chizik has done nothing but play to the crowd in the early media inquiries, refusing to discuss the alleged price paid, changing the subject when questioned to Newton's current eligibility, & now he's refusing to discuss anything other than the upcoming UGA game.

I can't believe Auburn was so stupid as to pay for this guy in this day & age of media & NCAA scrutiny, or take him with his track record from Florida & all the clouds of suspicion coming from Kenny Rogers & Mississippi St. The cheating, as he was caught 3 times, & the stolen laptop in his possession then thrown out the window with the cops coming are public records, note that he's never denied them b/c he can't. I guess they really were thatdesperate to win.

Also hard to believe the Newtons were dumb enough to tell media like Jim Rome during interviews that my "next decision will be a business one" + their phone conversations with Mississippi St. saying his college choice would be p/o a pay for play plan per the Joe Schad articles:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5790626

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

Have they never hear of tape recorded conversations?

This genie is out of the bottle -- I think it has already cost Newton the Heisman, even if he wins the vote count b/c with the NCAA investigation still ongoing I don't think the Heisman committee will allow a highly profiled ceremony of handing him the trophy, all they could do in that case I guess is declare him ineligible for the trophy alone, not count his votes or simply not invite Newton, they can't cancel the whole ceremony.

And if proven that there were payments made, it could cost Auburn the wins where he played as it cost USC those with Reggie Bush. And Chizik would almost surely lose his job, the buck stops there.

LizardState
11-11-2010, 06:30 AM

See Fulmer, Tennessee. Nobody pointed his fat fingers like Jugbutt Fulmer..... how did that work out for his career? Somewhat career-limiting? What's that saying about the 3 fingers pointing back at the pointer?

And we all know other conferences don't have teams who dime their opponents on infractions :- (

3 QBs on his roster & 2 more including Star Jackson, the #1-ranked from HS who took early entry, signed up in waiting.... pls.

JoeJoeBrown
11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
See Fulmer, Tennessee. Nobody pointed his fat fingers like Jugbutt Fulmer..... how did that work out for his career? Somewhat career-limiting? What's that saying about the 3 fingers pointing back at the pointer?

And we all know other conferences don't have teams who dime their opponents on infractions :- (

Phat Phil is such a little slimeball. I am so glad he is gone.

It happens in other conferences, just nowhere near this rate and craziness. It's all out mud slinging in the SEC. Crazy.

Oh, for instance, Bruce Pearl turned in Illinois for recruiting violations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Pearl#Pearl.2FThomas_incident) back in the day when he was an assistant at Iowa. Funny that he's in the SEC now.

3 QBs on his roster & 2 more including Star Jackson, the #1-ranked from HS who took early entry, signed up in waiting.... pls.

That was a gratuitous shot at Saban. Sorry. Not a fan of his oversigning tactics. If he thought Cam was great, he would have cut one of the 3 QBs.

Sniper
11-11-2010, 09:08 AM
If he thought Cam was great, he would have cut one of the 3 QBs.

HEY, HEY, HEY! That's medical scholarship to you, Buster.

JoeJoeBrown
11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
HEY, HEY, HEY! That's medical scholarship to you, Buster.

I thought it was violation of team rules? :)

yourfavestoner
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Yup, like I said earlier in this thread, the SEC is made up of a bunch of 15 year old high school girls tattling on each other and trying to **** each other over.

Bunch of *****.

I think it's fairly obvious what the solution to this whole thing is. You've got to let these players take out loans from banks. Right now they can't, because there's a murky grey area of having to prove they didn't receive the loan as a result of preferential treatment or being an athlete. But that should be the entire point: they'd be taking out a loan on themselves, which ANY STUDENT CAN DO.

The whole system is just so convoluted and stupid.

JoeJoeBrown
11-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Yup, like I said earlier in this thread, the SEC is made up of a bunch of 15 year old high school girls tattling on each other and trying to **** each other over.

Bunch of *****.

I think it's fairly obvious what the solution to this whole thing is. You've got to let these players take out loans from banks. Right now they can't, because there's a murky grey area of having to prove they didn't receive the loan as a result of preferential treatment or being an athlete. But that should be the entire point: they'd be taking out a loan on themselves, which ANY STUDENT CAN DO.

The whole system is just so convoluted and stupid.

There should be some sort of scholarship vs paid route. Most players will still be scholarship players, but the superstars should be allowed to opt out of the scholly in exchange for 3rd party payment.

I see no problem with this, as it already exists, it's just a lot shadier.

wonderbredd24
11-11-2010, 12:12 PM
There should be some sort of scholarship vs paid route. Most players will still be scholarship players, but the superstars should be allowed to opt out of the scholly in exchange for 3rd party payment.

Other than it being illegal, violating Title IX, and other issues, no problem at all.

JoeJoeBrown
11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Other than it being illegal, violating Title IX, and other issues, no problem at all.

Obviously I'm talking about re-writing D1 Rules.

Illegal? How? Other students get paid for their extracurricular activities.

Apply it to all sports. Not many people with money are going to pay players for womens sports.

Other issues being what? We are talking about a multi-billion dollar per year industry where the majority of the participants get paid a low salary (schollies).

The market would dictate the going rate for superstars. There would have to be a bunch of rules, but it's better than the current system where the football factories have boosters that pay for players behind the scenes.

wonderbredd24
11-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Obviously I'm talking about re-writing D1 Rules.

Illegal? How? Other students get paid for their extracurricular activities.

Apply it to all sports. Not many people with money are going to pay players for womens sports.

Other issues being what? We are talking about a multi-billion dollar per year industry where the majority of the participants get paid a low salary (schollies).

The market would dictate the going rate for superstars. There would have to be a bunch of rules, but it's better than the current system where the football factories have boosters that pay for players behind the scenes.
You're talking about an industry where most of the schools are losing money, even BCS schools.

What defines a "superstar"? There are schools with substantially bigger and wealthier sets of boosters, so the ones without them are just boned?

This creates far more problems than it solves.

Babylon
11-11-2010, 01:05 PM

So the so called superstars have to then pay their own tuition? I think the system is fine the way it is as it works for 99% of the athletes out there. I dont think you change the rules for a few cheaters.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-11-2010, 01:09 PM
If Cam doesn't win the Heisman and is never ruled ineligible sucks for the guy who actually wins the Heisman because everyone will put an asterisk beside their name.

Babylon
11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
If Cam doesn't win the Heisman and is never ruled ineligible sucks for the guy who actually wins the Heisman because everyone will put an asterisk beside their name.

Luck and Stanzi, who both have better passing numbers than Newton, are supposed to feel guilty, i dont think so.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Luck and Stanzi, who both have better passing numbers than Newton, are supposed to feel guilty, i dont think so.

Except Cam only has like 100 yards and 1 or 2 TD's less passing than them while having over 1000 more yards and over 10TD's more rushing for the most likely #1 or 2 team. Not saying anyone who would win it would feel guilty or feel like they don't deserve it, but they have to know that they weren't the true #1 player in the country. I was actually pretty shocked looking at the passing numbers how close Cam is to someone like Luck when some games Cam never even threw the ball. I know a lot is stat padding against bad teams, but still.

iowatreat54
11-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't think it will be all that different than when someone wins it and there are more deserving players. It will just be the most recent case of it, and while it will be remembered for the scandal(s) costing Newton, it will likely be forgotten after like 5 years.

nrk
11-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Except Cam only has like 100 yards and 1 or 2 TD's less passing than them while having over 1000 more yards and over 10TD's more rushing for the most likely #1 or 2 team. Not saying anyone who would win it would feel guilty or feel like they don't deserve it, but they have to know that they weren't the true #1 player in the country. I was actually pretty shocked looking at the passing numbers how close Cam is to someone like Luck when some games Cam never even threw the ball. I know a lot is stat padding against bad teams, but still.

Most of the time the Heisman doesn't go to the #1 overall player anyway.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Usually though when the wrong guy is chosen it's because it goes to the QB or top player of the #1 team in the nation, and since Darron Thomas isn't considered a Heisman candidate for whatever reason, that guy is Newton as well.

iowatreat54
11-11-2010, 01:54 PM

Minor correction, but Cam has 400 yards and 1-3 TDs less passing in 1 more game.

He also has 400 more total yards than Luck in 1 more game, but 9 more total TDs. And yea, 13 of his 34 TDs have come against teams I could beat by myself, where as Luck had 4 TDs against his only non-BCS caliber opponent, and Stanzi 4 TDs against his 2 non-BCS caliber opponent.

Not disagreeing that Newton isn't most deserving, just clarifying some stats and showing that there is also more to it than numbers, as you stated. And it's not Cam's fault Auburn has a pathetic schedule.

Side note: Stanford is awesome. They have ONE non-BCS caliber opponent on their schedule. That's how every BCS teams should schedule. Granted, they only have 3 OOC not 4, but still.

iowatreat54
11-11-2010, 01:56 PM

Yup. The "Most Outstanding Player in the Country" award has turned into "The Best Player on the Best Team" award.

JoeJoeBrown
11-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Side note: Stanford is awesome. They have ONE non-BCS caliber opponent on their schedule. That's how every BCS teams should schedule. Granted, they only have 3 OOC not 4, but still.

Yeah, I'm sick of OSU's pathetic OOC scheduling. They usually get one premier BCS OOC opponent and then a bunch of schlubs.

And this year their premiere opponent turned out to suck ass.

Cam so far deserves the Hypesman. Great player on a great team. Luck and Denard need to be in the conversation as well.

descendency
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
He'll still win the Heisman and still play for the national title (not sure how Oregon's O will do against Auburns D or how Auburn's O will deal with Oregon's D).

There is almost no way the NCAA could find a smoking gun in less than a few years. And they are not going to derail this for one school's claims. So far the only sources all come out of Mississippi State - a school that could quite frankly be jealous. No one else that had dealings with Newton has suggested that he was after cash.

So, while 5 years from now we might be saying that he cheated, right now the show will likely go on as it has.

Eh, Stats are not everything. If they were, someone from a QB friendly offense in a conference like the MWC would win it every year.

wonderbredd24
11-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, I'm sick of OSU's pathetic OOC scheduling. They usually get one premier BCS OOC opponent and then a bunch of schlubs.

And this year their premiere opponent turned out to suck ass.

Cam so far deserves the Hypesman. Great player on a great team. Luck and Denard need to be in the conversation as well.
Nothing screams premier out of conference scheduling like Chattanooga

iowatreat54
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM

I will see your Chattanooga and raise you a directional state school (Eastern Illinois).

To compound this argument, at least schedule the cupcakes at the beginning of the year. I hate that teams will schedule crap teams in like week 9 or 10 when it's more likely that A. your team will be running on all cylinders and B. the other team will be worn down, and thus even more pathetic.

The whole point of cupcakes is to play them early and work off all the rust from the offseason, not in the last 1/3 of the season so that your team can beat up on someone and avoid a let down. SEC teams are notorious for this, but other BCS teams as well.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I think 4 guys will be invited to New York. Cam, LaMichael, Kellen Moore, and Luck. If Cam doesn't win it I'm leaning towards Moore winning it with James as the dark horse. After that I think it would be rated(Not my rankings but what I think the rankings will be):

5) Terelle Pryor
6) Darron Thomas
7) Andy Dalton
8 ) Justin Blackmon
9) Ricky Stanzi
10) Denard Robinson
guys after this Kendall Hunter, John Clay, Landry Jones, Nick Foles, etc.

I think Denard is out of the running now. Looking at Michigan's schedule they could easily have 4 or 5 loses when the season is done and I understand it's not Denard's fault his defense blows but Auburn and Oregon also have bad defenses. Also I don't think he's in the running anymore because he isn't getting anywhere near the 2,000 yards rushing that we thought he would, and since Cam Newton is right behind him in rushing yards it doesn't seem as special anymore. Also he's missed a bunch of time and Forcier has stepped in and played well, plus the 7 INT's.

descendency
11-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Yea, while OSU doesn't have a major opponent for every OOC game, neither does anyone else.

While others might disagree with my BCS-love, I do think it's games like Chattanooga and Louisiana Lafayette that make it so hard to decide who is the best team in the country because it's so hard to determine which conference deserves the respect from year to year.

Last year, the Big 10s OOC scheduling was abysmal (the biggest win was Wisconsin's OT win over Fresno State or something like that). Yet, they showed up to their bowl games in force (PSU over LSU, OSU over Oregon, etc).

Halsey
11-11-2010, 02:09 PM
If you're going to criticize Newton for playing some weak out of conference opponents, tell us the player who hasn't played any weak teams. Kellen Moore? 75% of Boise State's schedule is weak teams.

Sniper
11-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Um, hello? Arkansas State? Louisiana-Monroe?

Sniper
11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
If you're going to criticize Newton for playing some weak out of conference opponents, tell us the player who hasn't played any weak teams. Kellen Moore? 75% of Boise State's schedule is weak teams.

More like 95 percent.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't necessarily have a problem with Moore, but with their schedule and how dominant their team is in all facets of the game against inferior competition, you could put Jordan Jefferson at QB for them and they'd still probably run the table with the possible exception of the Vatech game. Take Newton, Luck, Stanzi, Foles, etc, from their teams and they are bad teams. Ken Dorsey was a two time Heisman finalist so Moore deserves to be there, he just doesn't deserve to win it.

niel89
11-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Side note:
http://persistentillusion.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/youre-awesome.jpg

nrk
11-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Eh, Stats are not everything. If they were, someone from a QB friendly offense in a conference like the MWC would win it every year.

Huh? I said nothing about stats, nor implied anything about stats.

wogitalia
11-12-2010, 12:30 AM
Huh? I said nothing about stats, nor implied anything about stats.

Although Suh's stats were freaking awesome last year so maybe they do back up the statement ;)

txparkes49x
11-12-2010, 09:11 AM
It doesnt matter for Auburn if he wins the heisman or not the national championship is more important. and id rather just play him and risk getting an asterik by the win then not play him and just loss out. its if he is innocent we win if he isnt then oh well better to try and get screwed then screw yourself.

I agree the heisman is "the best player on the best team" but there is no perfect scenario to make all the schedules and conditions equal to see who is the best player imo. But obviously your team has to be doing something to get mentioned. the heisman should be a key role in a good team like LaMichael James and Luck but D-robs team is 6-3 and possibly getting worse he shouldnt be in consideration though if his team isnt that good.

LizardState
11-12-2010, 03:02 PM
ESPN reporting now that the FBI will be talking to Bond now.

Bond said it's "b/c they don't want them buying children for hundreds of thousands of $..."

Buying children? I thought the 13th Amendment abolished slavery.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/91817/3p-cam-newton-investigation-brett-favres-future-nfl-plans-giants-wr-steve-smith-out

Auburn now saying No Comment on whether Newton will start or play vs. UGA Saturday.

TitanHope
11-12-2010, 06:33 PM

See Fulmer, Tennessee.

It was actually Arkansas that turned in Bama for the Albert Means violation. Fulmer will always be the face of it all and played a big part, considering his closed door meetings with the NCAA, the meeting with that Culpepper guy, and the absolute disdain that Bama fans have for him with the accusations of a UT-led conspiracy to bring them down, but Nutt, Fulmer, and Spurrier all had their fingers pointed at Bama. And after Bama was found guilty, can you blame them?

Not trying to start anything or get this off topic. Just trying to provide a little clarity.

descendency
11-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Buying children? I thought the 13th Amendment abolished slavery.

This is the mentality that people have that lead them to believe that players should be paid, rightly or wrongly.

Shane P. Hallam
11-13-2010, 09:50 AM
So, Newton's Dad admitted to talking to schools about getting money, but claims Cam and his mother didn't know about it.

http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/25778803/detail.html

critesy
11-13-2010, 10:02 AM
So, Newton's Dad admitted to talking to schools about getting money, but claims Cam and his mother didn't know about it.

http://www.wsbtv.com/sports/25778803/detail.html

mississppi state*

wonderbredd24
11-13-2010, 10:59 AM
mississppi state*

Asking for money even if he didn't take it is against NCAA rules, so he's boned either way

yourfavestoner
11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
mississppi state*

Lol, however you want to rationalize it bud.

P-L
11-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Sounds like Cam got dad a big check and now dad is trying to repay the favor by pretending that Cam didn't know what was going on.

bullg8rdaddy
11-13-2010, 11:44 PM
yuppers. My thoughts exactly, P-L.

wogitalia
11-14-2010, 04:56 AM
This is the mentality that people have that lead them to believe that players should be paid, rightly or wrongly.

While I understand the theory behind paying the players, I think the disrespect for the education they are "forced" to get is the part that sort of gets covered up whenever it comes up.

Lets be honest, you go up to any normal person and tell them they can have a full ride at a college and they will be delighted, what's that 35-50k a year they are getting paid effectively? That is money that anyone else at college has to earn to payback and they get it for athletic ability.

I do see some merits to perhaps some kind of payment for players who have extra commitments, say those who have to meet media gets a "bonus" payment but realistically these kids are getting given a scholarship that is worth a ton of money to do something they should enjoy doing.

That said, I very much look at teams/players going under the table on this stuff with about as much interest as I treat MLB or cycling PED stories. Everyone is doing it, if you get caught you are a truly special kind of stupid and deserve the consequences but it wont affect how I think of them as a player in the least.

metafour
11-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Lol, however you want to rationalize it bud.

However you want to rationalize it?

You're getting bent over by shoddy reporting once again (you know, kind of like how this entire "story" has been hilariously bad from an accuracy standpoint from day one). Newton's dad admitted to TALKING about money, he never once said he ASKED for money. Of course, what are ESPN and the talking heads flashing? "CECIL NEWTON ADMITS ASKING FOR MONEY!" Anyone can walk up to a recruit and say "I'll give you 'X' dollars", guess what, you just talked about money whether you asked for it or not.

Could Newton's dad be dirty? Absolutely. The reality however is that unless you are able to find some legitimate proof you are banking on the spoken claims of a guy (Kenny Rogers) who is so full of **** you can smell him from China. I seriously doubt the NCAA will make any serious decision backed off of only his claims.

jrdrylie
11-16-2010, 08:11 AM
The reality however is that unless you are able to find some legitimate proof you are banking on the spoken claims of a guy (Kenny Rogers) who is so full of **** you can smell him from China. I seriously doubt the NCAA will make any serious decision backed off of only his claims.

On the radio this morning, Clay Travis who covers the SEC for Fanhouse stated that Cam Newton will be ruled ineligible. It may not be before the Heisman Trophy Ceremony or even before the National Championship Game, but it is almost a slam dunk that Cam will be ruled ineligible and this entire Auburn season will have been a waste.

I'm hoping Cam doesn't win the Heisman. I would hate to have a second year where there is no official Heisman winner. On the Heisman site it says:

“The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.”

Hopefully voters will read that second part and vote for someone else who seems to have more integrity. But then again, I seriously doubt most Heisman voters have ever read that sentence.

metafour
11-16-2010, 08:33 AM
On the radio this morning, Clay Travis who covers the SEC for Fanhouse stated that Cam Newton will be ruled ineligible. It may not be before the Heisman Trophy Ceremony or even before the National Championship Game, but it is almost a slam dunk that Cam will be ruled ineligible and this entire Auburn season will have been a waste.

...another guy doing nothing but taking his opinion of unconfirmed information and then spinning it into some sort of "final judgment" based off of a half-assed assessment of NCAA rules.

The NCAA has not once ruled a player ineligible based off of solicitation alone. The joke here is that the school that was supposedly solicited didn't even end up signing Newton.

jrdrylie
11-16-2010, 08:45 AM
...another guy doing nothing but taking his opinion of unconfirmed information and then spinning it into some sort of "final judgment" based off of a half-assed assessment of NCAA rules.

The NCAA has not once ruled a player ineligible based off of solicitation alone. The joke here is that the school that was supposedly solicited didn't even end up signing Newton.

Actually, Cecil Newton has admitted to asking for money. It is not proven whether or not any money actually exchanged hands, but he did ask for money. He says neither Cam nor his wife knew about it, but that doesn't matter. If he is acting on behalf of his son, that is against the rules and Cam will be ineligible.

metafour
11-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Actually, Cecil Newton has admitted to asking for money.

No, he absolutely has not. He has admitted to talking about money, which is absolutely different than admitting to asking for money.

You think this is the first time the NCAA has investigated a case where a family member of a recruit was talking money? I can guarantee you that this happens on the regular, it is inevitable, and this is the reason why no player has ever been ruled ineligible based off of solicitation alone.

jrdrylie
11-16-2010, 09:12 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/518988-michael-vick-cam-newton-lebron-james-and-tuesdays-top-sports-news/entry/29559-cam-newton-star-players-father-allegedly-admits-to-asking-for-cash

Reports are he did more than talk. And if he truly only talked about cash, from the very beginning, he would have said something like this: "Yes, representatives from Mississippi State and other schools brought up the issue of money for Cam. I never asked for money and I declined to take any that was offered. End of story."

metafour
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Clay Travis' entire premise is in fact hilarious. If he (a random sports journalist) has enough proof to say that it is a "slam dunk" that Newton is ineligible, then why on earth would the NCAA wait until after the Heisman ceremony and even after the Championship Game to rule him ineligible considering that they surely have a better understanding of the situation than Travis has? Surely if the proof is that obvious then the NCAA already has it and the ruling would be made immediately so as to get the Heisman into the hands of a deserving candidate and the MNC in the hands of a deserving team. Nothing would look worse than Newton being given the Heisman, Auburn winning the MNC, and then the NCAA ruling him ineligible a week later.

metafour
11-16-2010, 09:27 AM
"Yes, representatives from Mississippi State and other schools brought up the issue of money for Cam. I never asked for money and I declined to take any that was offered. End of story."

NO representative of ANY school brought the issue of money up. The money was brought up by a highly shady agent who has already been under investigation by the NFL. No one directly associated with football operations at MSU offered any money. Bob Stoops at Oklahoma says they weren't asked for money when they recruited Newton. Same goes for Lane Kiffin who recruited Newton at Tennessee.

So what? Cecil Newton really only wanted the money from MSU? Is their money worth more than everyone else's or something?

jrdrylie
11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
The Reggie Bush case was a slam dunk too. Everybody knew that Reggie Bush and his family were getting paid huge money How long did the NCAA take with that case? Four or Five years? The same thing might happen with Newton.

And Okay, nobody from MSU offered money. So change it to "Yes, Kenny Rodgers brought up the issue of money for Cam." It doesn't make a difference. The fact is that at the beginning of theis whole thing, Cecil Newton said nothing of the sort.

The reason only MSU is being talked about is probably because they were the favorites from the beginning. Their quarterback situation was a mess, Newton's former coach was there. Oklahoma was never even close to getting Newton. Other schools would not risk breaking rules if they had little to no chance of signing a guy.

jballa838
11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
I'd like to remind you how this whole thing started. Dan Mullen (MSU Coach/OC at Florida when Newton was there) started these allegations (defamation of Cam Newton) right before MSU was set to play Auburn after he was urged by Urban Meyer to do so. If they actually had a case for this, why wait until right before he is set to play your team? Do it 3 weeks before so you know he is ineligible by the time Auburn comes to town. The entire thing has been pure libel from the standpoint of these scumbags throwing every possible allegation at Cam Newton hoping one sticks.

Now if he is ruled ineligible by the NCAA (one of the slowest working organizations ever) before the NC I'll be surprised. I personally don't see anything written that seems all that conclusive at this point, so it won't happen in my opinion. I hope Cam Newton sues Mullen/whoever leaked the story for defamation. I think he has a really good case, especially if he is forced to go out early and doesn't go in the first round "because of this"

wonderbredd24
11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
I'd like to remind you how this whole thing started. Dan Mullen (MSU Coach/OC at Florida when Newton was there) started these allegations (defamation of Cam Newton) right before MSU was set to play Auburn after he was urged by Urban Meyer to do so. If they actually had a case for this, why wait until right before he is set to play your team? Do it 3 weeks before so you know he is ineligible by the time Auburn comes to town. The entire thing has been pure libel from the standpoint of these scumbags throwing every possible allegation at Cam Newton hoping one sticks.

Now if he is ruled ineligible by the NCAA (one of the slowest working organizations ever) before the NC I'll be surprised. I personally don't see anything written that seems all that conclusive at this point, so it won't happen in my opinion. I hope Cam Newton sues Mullen/whoever leaked the story for defamation. I think he has a really good case, especially if he is forced to go out early and doesn't go in the first round "because of this"
I didn't realize the SEC played in July, which is when this investigation began. Maybe that is why they can get away with playing Chattanooga, Jacksonville State, and Georgia State

jballa838
11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
I didn't realize the SEC played in July, which is when this investigation began. Maybe that is why they can get away with playing Chattanooga, Jacksonville State, and Georgia State
where do you say you got this from?

wonderbredd24
11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
where do you say you got this from?
Mississippi State reported this whole issue in January. The NCAA picked it up and started investigating in July.

A simple google search will get you there... you can decide which source(s) you find credible.

critesy
11-16-2010, 02:11 PM
ncaa is supposed to give a statement anywhere from wed-fri. im thinking theyre going to say he's clear and good to go.

kenny rogers is also getting interviewed by the ncaa right now as i type this.

CashmoneyDrew
11-16-2010, 06:23 PM
If Mike Slive had any nads at all this already would've been settled since the SEC has stricter rules on this situation than the NCAA does. But he probably doesn't want to set a precedent.

wonderbredd24
11-17-2010, 06:21 PM
the stuff ESPN is scrolling does not sound good...

Gives the impression that Cecil Newton knew exactly what he was doing and used a middle man for the sake of being able to say he was not the one specifically asking for the money. I don't think that is going to work

JoeJoeBrown
11-17-2010, 06:35 PM
the stuff ESPN is scrolling does not sound good...

Gives the impression that Cecil Newton knew exactly what he was doing and used a middle man for the sake of being able to say he was not the one specifically asking for the money. I don't think that is going to work

Here you go. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5818428&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines) The guy is toast. I think Auburn is toast.

Here is a compilation by an obsessed LSU fan. (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=22778676)

Chucky
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Unless this guy can actually show the text from his "water-damaged" phone then I don't think this should mean too much, or that the text was actually from Newtons father

wonderbredd24
11-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Unless this guy can actually show the text from his "water-damaged" phone then I don't think this should mean too much, or that the text was actually from Newtons father
Text messages supposedly exist for several years... seems like a simple call to the phone's company would clear that up in a hurry.

If the NCAA looks at this like criminal law where Newton has to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, he might have a shot at beating this. However, if it is merely establishing guilt based on the preponderance of evidence like in civil court (far more likely in my opinion), then Cameron Newton is completely and totally boned. Whether that happens now or a year from now, it is likely to happen. But if it happens after what would be a meaningless title game that another qualified team could have gone to, that would be an absolute shame.

critesy
11-17-2010, 07:27 PM
all im going to do is lol aand wait til this is over. this is nothing new on what ive heard since last week.

niel89
11-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Looking up old text messages is easy for phone companies. If he really did send one, they are going to probably have the record of it.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Hah not saying the guy is lying but I love how everything has to be so difficult. Saved a text message on an old phone which has water damage.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-18-2010, 05:10 AM
The new info thats coming out on this is going to blast Auburn into the stone age. The unc fiasco is small potatoes compared to this. Newton is just the tip of the iceberg. Trooper Taylor is the John Blake of the 21st century and the boosters of a basketball school can't even pretend to act like they can keep up with the guys behind this mess. The FBI had one of them wire tapped for another mess altogether and just stumbled upon this as a result. And lol @ whats going to happen to Slive for trying to cover this up

Sniper
11-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Here you go. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5818428&campaign=rss&source=NCFHeadlines) The guy is toast. I think Auburn is toast.

Here is a compilation by an obsessed LSU fan. (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=22778676)

It was nice knowing you, Auburn.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
It was nice knowing you, Auburn.

Yeah, this is crazy stuff. If even 10% of this is true, they are nuked.

Here is a summary of the message board link:

The FBI has been investigating Colonial Bank and Louder for a number
of possible violations in the financial market crash which are
unrelated to AU. Part of the investigation involved gambling fraud
between McGregor and Colonial Bank. Something called the Rico Stature
allowed the justice department to set up wiretaps on Colonial Bank.
On the wiretaps the FBI found major AU recruiting infractions involving
Louder, McGregor, Dye, Trooper, boosters and others.
Here’s what they say the FBI has on tape and can prove AU did:

• The people above are on tape explaining who they paid and how they did it.
• It involves many AU players
• Providing unmarked Colonial Bank ATM cards to players to withdraw
money from secret accounts.
• Giving “slot machine cards” to the players, which now involves the
Alabama Gaming Commission.
• Provided improper loans to some of the families in our last and
current recruiting class.
• The NCAA “strongly” recommended that AU sit Cam for GA. game because
of the mounting evidence.
• President Grogue wanted to sit Cam but was overruled by Louder and
the Board of Trustees.
• Coach Chizik knows none of this and has been lied to by Jacobs.
• The people named above know the S%#& is going to hit the fan “big
time” and have decided “we’re going down” so lets win the title even
if they take it away later.
• Slive knew about this early and sat on the information and is also
in the “crosshairs” of the FBI..
• The corruption is so deep at the highest level (trustees) that AU
will be evicted from kicked out of the SEC.
• This will be revealed by the end of the week.

wonderbredd24
11-18-2010, 09:03 AM

the Board of Trustees.
Southern Methodist on line 1

Sniper
11-18-2010, 09:09 AM
They're so ******. Someone put it well on a Michigan board- Auburn is so ****** that the NCAA is going to make SMU look like Practicegate.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 09:11 AM
They're so ******. Someone put it well on a Michigan board- Auburn is so ****** that the NCAA is going to make SMU look like Practicegate.

As long as they win the very last Iron Bowl, Auburn fans will be happy.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
The new info thats coming out on this is going to blast Auburn into the stone age. The unc fiasco is small potatoes compared to this. Newton is just the tip of the iceberg. Trooper Taylor is the John Blake of the 21st century and the boosters of a basketball school can't even pretend to act like they can keep up with the guys behind this mess. The FBI had one of them wire tapped for another mess altogether and just stumbled upon this as a result. And lol @ whats going to happen to Slive for trying to cover this up

Wouldn't John Blake be the John Blake of the 21st century...?

Sniper
11-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't John Blake be the John Blake of the 21st century...?

Maybe.

http://i55.tinypic.com/xcu54p.jpg

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Maybe.

http://i55.tinypic.com/xcu54p.jpg

LOLZ!!!!!

So true. I can't get over how stupid it is to gloat over what another team in your conference does.

LizardState
11-18-2010, 11:09 AM
LOLZ!!!!!

So true. I can't get over how stupid it is to gloat over what another team in your conference does.

Other SEC teams fans gloat b/c Auburn is getting just as much consideration of innocent until proven guilty as they gave Bama/Kentucky/Memphis U. in the Memphis HS d-linemen auctioned off to bosters at $100K a pop, the Fulmer denials of involvement in the aforementioned & skating + the Tennessee grad students taking test & writing pprs for athletes, the Miss. St. b-ball & FB probes, the recent Ole Miss probation, etc. ad nauseum.

The RICO statues are what used to prosecute organized crime conspiracies, btw. They were passed to nail mobsters who used legal loopholes to evade prosecution for all their scams, they're the Mob's worst nightmare.

Bonds text msg. looks from all outward appearances to be the smoking gun everyone's been looking for these last 2 wks.

Don't act like Auburn is a 1st-time offender, one of their disgruntled players in the mid-80s wore a wire to practice (how TF do you do that in pads?) & launched a scandal that got them put on their 1st FB probation & got Pat "Roll Over &" Dye fired.

It's the SEC, & it can't be let him who is without sin cast the 1st stone kind of situation.

Does anyone see HC Chizik surviving this? Does anybody believe that he had no knowledge of any of this? About the same no. of USC fans who
believed Carroll when confronted with the accusations of Reggie Bush's family living for several yrs in an LA condo with rent & expenses paid.

If even 10% of it is true, then stick a fork in the War Eagle.....

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Other SEC teams fans gloat b/c Auburn is getting just as much consideration of innocent until proven guilty as they gave Bama/Kentucky/Memphis U. in the Memphis HS d-linemen auctioned off to bosters at $100K a pop, the Fulmer denials of involvement in the aforementioned & skating + the Tennessee grad students taking test & writing pprs for athletes, the Miss. St. b-ball & FB probes, the recent Ole Miss probation, etc. ad nauseum.

Don't act like Auburn is a 1st-time offender, one of their disgruntled players in the mid-80s wore a wire to practice (how TF do you do that in pads?) & launched a scandal that got them put on their 1st FB probation & got Pat "Roll Over &" Dye fired.

It's the SEC, & it can't be let him who is without sin cast the 1st stone kind of situation.

Does anyone see HC Chizik surviving this? Does anybody believe that he had no knowledge of any of this? About the same no. of USC fans who
believed Carroll when confronted with the accusations of Reggie Bush's family living for several yrs in an LA condo with rent & expenses paid.

If even 10% of it is true, then stick a fork in the War Eagle.....

I was referring to the SEC chant thing where rival schools brag about how the team that they hate just won the NC or the like. I don't get it. I sure as hell wouldn't brag about Michigan winning the NC. It seems really weird to non-SEC fans.

Agree with you on all of the other points. Auburn is historically dirty and they are going to get nailed for this.

Also, there is no way in hell that MSU isn't getting punished for something. I mean, these guys don't call up a booster thinking that he doesn't have a reputation for PTP.

Chizik, as dumb as he is, may actually be pretty innocent in all of this.

What happens to Slive is going to be interesting.

yourfavestoner
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I was referring to the SEC chant thing where rival schools brag about how the team that they hate just won the NC or the like. I don't get it. I sure as hell wouldn't brag about Michigan winning the NC. It seems really weird to non-SEC fans.

Agree with you on all of the other points. Auburn is historically dirty and they are going to get nailed for this.

Also, there is no way in hell that MSU isn't getting punished for something. I mean, these guys don't call up a booster thinking that he doesn't have a reputation for PTP.

Chizik, as dumb as he is, may actually be pretty innocent in all of this.

What happens to Slive is going to be interesting.

IMO, it has to do with the stupid BCS rankings. The tougher your conference is perceived to be, the higher you end up ranked.

Go to a playoff system, and nobody would give a **** how other teams in their conference are doing.

Vikes99ej
11-18-2010, 11:33 AM
All SEC teams are dirty ******* cheaters, IMO

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 11:34 AM
IMO, it has to do with the stupid BCS rankings. The tougher your conference is perceived to be, the higher you end up ranked.

Go to a playoff system, and nobody would give a **** how other teams in their conference are doing.

While I agree for the most part, this would only explain the behavior during the season. SEC fans are notorious for bragging about another team from the SEC beating other schools in a bowl game/winning the NC, as if it were their accomplishment.

If we had a playoff, and say Florida won the championship, things wouldn't change from that. There would still be fans of other SEC teams proclaiming how great the SEC is and what not.

yourfavestoner
11-18-2010, 11:36 AM
All SEC teams are dirty ******* cheaters, IMO

At this point, improper benefits in college is turning out like steroids in baseball.

You have a system that all but encourages it, and everyone does it. You're hosed if you don't do it, and you're only dumb if you get caught.

Soon, we'll have congressional hearings and by that point, everyone will be so desensitized that nobody will even care anymore.

wonderbredd24
11-18-2010, 11:42 AM

This is exactly right. Michigan being dog **** right now hurts Ohio State. There is certainly an element of wanting your team to play a respectable conference schedule for the sake of that too, but the perceived weakness of a conference kills them in the BCS rankings.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 01:27 PM
This is exactly right. Michigan being dog **** right now hurts Ohio State. There is certainly an element of wanting your team to play a respectable conference schedule for the sake of that too, but the perceived weakness of a conference kills them in the BCS rankings.

The Big10 is not perceived as weak this year by the vast majority of the CFB watching population.

wonderbredd24
11-18-2010, 01:36 PM
The Big10 is not perceived as weak this year by the vast majority of the CFB watching population.
No? They have a couple 1 loss teams not even in consideration for the National Title game should Auburn and Oregon lose. The Big Ten is an after thought.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 01:39 PM
No? They have a couple 1 loss teams not even in consideration for the National Title game should Auburn and Oregon lose. The Big Ten is an after thought.

1st: SEC 2a: Big10 2b: Pac10 4th: Big12 5th: ACC 12th: Big Least

We could take this to another thread if you want, let's not hijack (I love to do it, so I need to police myself).

Sniper
11-18-2010, 01:46 PM
1st: SEC 2a: Big10 2b: Pac10 4th: Big12 5th: ACC 12th: Big Least

We could take this to another thread if you want, let's not hijack (I love to do it, so I need to police myself).

Is the SEC really the top dog this year? The East is a clusterfuck and in the West, Auburn's season probably never happened. I liked Alabama in the pre-season, but they've disappointed relative to expectations. LSU's luck is bound to run out. After that, it's a huge cluster of mediocrity.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 01:53 PM
I'll take the Pac-10 as the best conferance in the country 1-8.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Of course you do... And Jake Locker is the best QB in the country :)

I think the Big10 smokes the Pac10 1-8.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Of course you do... And Jake Locker is the best QB in the country :)

I think the Big10 smokes the Pac10 1-8.

The Pac-10 has 10 teams in the top 20 toughest schedules in the country. the Big-10 zero.

The Pac-10 has two teams in the BCS top 6, the Big-10's top team is at 9.

The Pac-10 has arguably 4 eventual first round QB's in Luck, Locker, Barkely and Foles and Darron Thomas of Oregon is a borderline invite to the Heisman awards at the end of the season. The Big-10 has Ricky Stanzi and........

I'm a homer but numbers dont lie.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 02:39 PM

Well, what 1 loss teams are in consideration if Auburn and Oregon lose? Obviously, Auburn and Oregon, but who else? And are we also assuming TCU and Boise St. lose? Because if they are undefeated, it's really not a shot at a 1 loss Big Ten team (or 1 loss team from any conference) to say they aren't being considered when 2 undefeateds would seemingly be 1 and 2 in the polls.

wonderbredd24
11-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Well, what 1 loss teams are in consideration if Auburn and Oregon lose? Obviously, Auburn and Oregon, but who else? And are we also assuming TCU and Boise St. lose? Because if they are undefeated, it's really not a shot at a 1 loss Big Ten team (or 1 loss team from any conference) to say they aren't being considered when 2 undefeateds would seemingly be 1 and 2 in the polls.
LSU and Stanford are both ahead of Wisconsin in the BCS rankings

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
LSU and Stanford are both ahead of Wisconsin in the BCS rankings

If Auburn and Oregon lose, will they fall behind those 2? And if Boise and TCU win out, doesn't that make this argument relatively pointless considering no teams besides those 2 would be "considered"?

Also, just because the "top" team(s) aren't considered for the NC, doesn't mean the conference is perceived as weak. It just means they don't have an elite team. But they sure as hell have a top 4 that is arguably perceived as good as every other conference.

Sniper
11-18-2010, 03:24 PM
T
The Pac-10 has arguably 4 eventual first round QB's in Luck, Locker, Barkely and Foles and Darron Thomas of Oregon is a borderline invite to the Heisman awards at the end of the season. The Big-10 has Ricky Stanzi and........

First-round means nothing in debating a collegiate player's merits. Are you really going to try to tell me with a straight face that Nick Foles and Jake Locker played better than Dan Persa or Denard Robinson, despite that neither of the two Big 10 QBs will sniff the first-round as a QB? Right, no, you're not. Terrelle Pryor, for all of his shortcomings, will inevitably end up as Ohio State's career leader in, well, pretty much everything for passing. Nathan Scheelhaase has thrown for 15 touchdowns despite being a redshirt freshman. Ben Chappell is 12th in the country in passing yardage.

I'm a homer but numbers dont lie.

No, they don't. Let's line 'em up.

Big 10 has seven bowl-eligible teams and Illinois is one win away from being bowl-eligible. They will likely get it as they face a Dan Persa-less Northwestern and Fresno State.

Pac-10 has four bowl-eligible teams and Cal is one win away. They have a small shot at their sixth win as they face Stanford (loss) and Washington (who knows which Jake Locker will show up?)

Big 10 has four teams in the BCS rankings, all in the top 20 and three in the top-12. Pac-10 has three in the top 22 and two of the top-6. In the USA Today polls, Northwestern is ranked and Penn State and Michigan are receiving votes. Pac-10 has....nobody.

Now, we can play the hypothetical Team A vs. Team B game.

Oregon (10-0) beats Michigan State (9-1)
Wisconsin-Stanford is a toss-up
Ohio State (9-1) beats USC (7-3)
Arizona (7-3) beats Iowa (9-1) based on their game earlier this year.
Michigan (7-3) beats Oregon State (4-5)
Northwestern (w/ Dan Persa) 7-3 beats Cal (5-5)
Penn State (6-4) beats UCLA (4-5)
Illinois (5-5) beats Washington (3-6)

It's not even close.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Will you be my best friend sniper?

Sniper
11-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Will you be my best friend sniper?

I thought I already was.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
First-round means nothing in debating a collegiate player's merits. Are you really going to try to tell me with a straight face that Nick Foles and Jake Locker played better than Dan Persa or Denard Robinson, despite that neither of the two Big 10 QBs will sniff the first-round as a QB? Right, no, you're not. Terrelle Pryor, for all of his shortcomings, will inevitably end up as Ohio State's career leader in, well, pretty much everything for passing. Nathan Scheelhaase has thrown for 15 touchdowns despite being a redshirt freshman. Ben Chappell is 12th in the country in passing yardage.

No, they don't. Let's line 'em up.

Big 10 has seven bowl-eligible teams and Illinois is one win away from being bowl-eligible. They will likely get it as they face a Dan Persa-less Northwestern and Fresno State.

Pac-10 has four bowl-eligible teams and Cal is one win away. They have a small shot at their sixth win as they face Stanford (loss) and Washington (who knows which Jake Locker will show up?)

Big 10 has four teams in the BCS rankings, all in the top 20 and three in the top-12. Pac-10 has three in the top 22 and two of the top-6. In the USA Today polls, Northwestern is ranked and Penn State and Michigan are receiving votes. Pac-10 has....nobody.

Now, we can play the hypothetical Team A vs. Team B game.

Oregon (10-0) beats Michigan State (9-1)
Wisconsin-Stanford is a toss-up
Ohio State (9-1) beats USC (7-3)
Arizona (7-3) beats Iowa (9-1) based on their game earlier this year.
Michigan (7-3) beats Oregon State (4-5)
Northwestern (w/ Dan Persa) 7-3 beats Cal (5-5)
Penn State (6-4) beats UCLA (4-5)
Illinois (5-5) beats Washington (3-6)

It's not even close.

I thought i was your best friend? whatever.

I cant agree with your head to head outcomes there. I'd take Oregon and Arizona (as you did) then i like Stanford easily over wisconsin and USC over OSU (how many times do they have to prove that). The rest of the conferance i dont really care so not sure what the final tally would be. The top tier to me looks better. Just my take.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 03:34 PM
I thought I already was.

Well, this is awkward.

How about starting now "official" best friends?

Btw, lost in your previous post was the absense of Cousins and Tolzien on the QB list from the Big Ten. Are either 1st rounders? Probably not. But they both should (and will) get a shot at the next level, and that's nothing to say about how they have performed in college, while not elite by any means, has still been above average. The progression of Tolzien as a passer has basically led Wisconsin to where they are. Otherwise, you have Bucky last year where oh, you shut down the run and they can't do anything.

Sniper
11-18-2010, 03:35 PM
USC over OSU (how many times do they have to prove that).

Wait, so because USC won two and three years ago, it means that as a 7-3 team without a trace of a defense that they would beat a 9-1 top-10 team with a top-10 defense? ******* fantastic logic, skipper. You're really trying to outdumb yourself here. Stanford over Wisconsin "easily"? Right. Put down the crack.

The rest of the conferance i dont really care so not sure what the final tally would be. The top tier to me looks better. Just my take.

Try not to slip while you're backtracking so quickly.

So, you were saying? Don't worry. I can wait until you remove the foot from your mouth.

Well, this is awkward.

How about starting now "official" best friends?

Btw, lost in your previous post was the absense of Cousins and Tolzien on the QB list from the Big Ten. Are either 1st rounders? Probably not. But they both should (and will) get a shot at the next level, and that's nothing to say about how they have performed in college, while not elite by any means, has still been above average. The progression of Tolzien as a passer has basically led Wisconsin to where they are. Otherwise, you have Bucky last year where oh, you shut down the run and they can't do anything.

My bad. They are both solid QBs. Tolzien is money in the red zone, too.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 03:37 PM
You reversed Arizona's and Iowa's records up there Snipey. But I'll gladly take a 9-1 record right now...

Also, taking USC over OSU right now is downright laughable. And that's even without the reasoning you gave Babylon. Basically what you're saying is no matter what, USC will always > OSU. USC could eliminate all scholarships and field a team of blind chimps, but since they beat OSU 2 years ago, then obviously they've proven they are better than OSU.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Wait, so because USC won two and three years ago, it means that as a 7-3 team without a trace of a defense that they would beat a 9-1 top-10 team with a top-10 defense? ******* fantastic logic, skipper. You're really trying to outdumb yourself here. Stanford over Wisconsin "easily"? Right. Put down the crack.

Try not to slip while you're backtracking so quickly.

So, you were saying? Don't worry. I can wait until you remove the foot from your mouth.

My bad. They are both solid QBs. Tolzien is money in the red zone, too.

As much as i try you have a personality that is really hard to like.

Sniper
11-18-2010, 03:39 PM
You reversed Arizona's and Iowa's records up there Snipey. But I'll gladly take a 9-1 record right now...

Also, taking USC over OSU right now is downright laughable. And that's even without the reasoning you gave Babylon. Basically what you're saying is no matter what, USC will always > OSU. USC could eliminate all scholarships and field a team of blind chimps, but since they beat OSU 2 years ago, then obviously they've proven they are better than OSU.

Iowa's record was wrong, but Arizona's is correct.

Seriously, Babylon. Bring some logic to the party next time.

Sniper
11-18-2010, 03:40 PM
As much as i try you have a personality that is really hard to like.

When you say dumb things, you're going to get treated like you're a dumbass. It's pretty basic stuff.

James Madison >>>> Virginia Tech FOREVARZ. How many times do they have to prove it?

I like that you didn't even try to fight the accusation that you're backtracking.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Iowa's record was wrong, but Arizona's is correct.

Seriously, Babylon. Bring some logic to the party next time.

Guys, guys, let's all try to remember why we're here...

Cam Newton is a cheater. Discuss. Bonus points will be given for SEC Speedzzz.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 03:45 PM
When you say dumb things, you're going to get treated like you're a dumbass. It's pretty basic stuff.

James Madison >>>> Virginia Tech FOREVARZ. How many times do they have to prove it?

I like that you didn't even try to fight the accusation that you're backtracking.

I dont appreciate being called a dumbass but heck it's the I where anything goes. My guess is if you are like that in the real world you've had to fight your way out of quite a few jams in your life.

Sniper
11-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I dont appreciate being called a dumbass but heck it's the I where anything goes. My guess is if you are like that in the real world you've had to fight your way out of quite a few jams in your life.

I never called you a dumbass. I said I would treat you like one if you said dumb things, but I never called you a dumbass.

No, I haven't had too many jams, mostly because not too many people get that butt-hurt when you point out their mistakes.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM
I never called you a dumbass. I said I would treat you like one if you said dumb things, but I never called you a dumbass.

No, I haven't had too many jams, mostly because not too many people get that butt-hurt when you point out their mistakes.

I feel so much better now. One more thing, am i supposed to be impressed with you giving me neg rep all the time?

wonderbredd24
11-18-2010, 03:51 PM

You might be surprised... suggesting reading is fundamental as a general statement had someone get pretty butt hurt.

Vikes99ej
11-18-2010, 03:58 PM
How the **** did this end up being a Pac 10 v. Big Ten discussion?

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I thought i was your best friend? whatever.

I cant agree with your head to head outcomes there. I'd take Oregon and Arizona (as you did) then i like Stanford easily over wisconsin and USC over OSU (how many times do they have to prove that). The rest of the conferance i dont really care so not sure what the final tally would be. The top tier to me looks better. Just my take.

In that case, I'll take Ohio State over Oregon since the Buckeyes thumped the overrated top rated Pac10 team last year in the Rose.

And in Sniper's defense wrt the matchups, he gave them pretty favorably to the Pac10.

The Pac10 has a bunch of mediocre teams at the middle and bottom. And absolutely no good defenses. That's not the stuff great conferences are made of.

Babylon
11-18-2010, 04:05 PM

That was partially my fault for responding to someone bringing up strengh of conferance. My bad.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 04:12 PM

I tried to tell everyone to take it another thread.

BTW, this just in, Cam Newton and Auburn are screwed.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's a question:

Will this be the first season (I think) where we see a national championship vacated in football?

Sniper
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Here's a question:

Will this be the first season (I think) where we see a national championship vacated in football?

I don't see why Oregon would have to vacate the national title.

wonderbredd24
11-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Generally when you don't win it, it's not an issue that comes up too much

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Ohhhhh you.

Actually I agree, but I was just trying to get the discussion back on topic!

Babylon
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Ohhhhh you.

Actually I agree, but I was just trying to get the discussion back on topic!

I think Auburn would gladly win now and kick the can down the road 4 or 5 years like USC did with Reggie Bush. Let the new regime clean up the mess.

iowatreat54
11-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I think Auburn would gladly win now and kick the can down the road 4 or 5 years like USC did with Reggie Bush. Let the new regime clean up the mess.

Oh, absolutely. I was just bringing up that this could be the first time we see a vacated NC, unless it's happened before that I do not remember.

Has there ever even been another season where we knew during the season that if a team won the NC, it may get vacated? Obviously, that's always a possibility, but I mean like this situation.

JoeJoeBrown
11-18-2010, 04:45 PM

I agree, but the can won't go far. The FBI is involved. They aren't going to sit with their thumbs up their butts like the NCAA.

The problem that the NCAA had with Reggie is that they have zero subpoena powers. I.e. it's all about cooperating unless there is evidence out there. This is why USC didn't do anything, as they didn't have to. They were lucky there wasn't more evidence for the NCAA to go on. The NCAA pushed it as it was with their ruling based on the facts instead of the inferred information.

That's beacuse the NCAA rules more like a civil case, in that the burden of proof is that something very likely happened. Versus a criminal case where it's beyond a reasonable doubt.

Combine that burden of very likely, with a federal case with federal evidence, and the NCAA will move pretty quickly. They were humiliated over the USC stuff.

No one thought that another SMU death penalty would happen, but if some of this stuff is true, they are going to have to give Auburn the giant ban hammer.

LizardState
11-18-2010, 07:47 PM
The NCAA is hoping that Bama &/or SCAR beat Auburn so the onus will be off their backs...... for awhile.

Then hand the NC to Oregon, or TCU, or Boise St.

They are also hoping aliens will land on the Mall in DC, anything to take this story out of the headlines. The NCAA is looking bad for failure to take action, the SEC worse. And maybe soon the Heisman Committee will look the worst of all if they give it to Newton with a conditional asterisk * next to his name.

descendency
11-19-2010, 04:37 PM
With all of this talk about Cam Newton receiving $180,000 from Auburn boosters, the NCAA is looking into instituting a rookie wage scale - trying to cap how much boosters can illegally give to athletes.

/bad joke

descendency
11-19-2010, 04:39 PM
The NCAA is hoping that Bama &/or SCAR beat Auburn so the onus will be off their backs...... for awhile.

Then hand the NC to Oregon, or TCU, or Boise St.

They are also hoping aliens will land on the Mall in DC, anything to take this story out of the headlines. The NCAA is looking bad for failure to take action, the SEC worse. And maybe soon the Heisman Committee will look the worst of all if they give it to Newton with a conditional asterisk * next to his name.

If Auburn wins and Cam Newton is declared inelligible, there will be no national champion. You don't get it if the other team is disqualified.

iowatreat54
11-19-2010, 04:40 PM
With all of this talk about Cam Newton receiving $180,000 from Auburn boosters, the NCAA is looking into instituting a rookie wage scale - trying to cap how much boosters can illegally give to athletes.

/bad joke

I will reply with a much better joke that I'm stealing from a Northwestern fan's sign for gameday:

Come to Northwestern: Our grads make more money than SEC recruits!

LizardState
12-01-2010, 08:53 AM

the Board of Trustees.

Apparently the follow the $ approach led them to Cam's uncle in Michigan + several other middlemen. Maybe the fact that there were so many hands in this explains the long delay from the NCAA in taking any punitive action. Still the $250K money trail ended with Cecil & there's the bottom line:

I received this from relatives in Alabama this morning, it's p/o the same email msg. as above:

“…The Feds have tape from wire taps made on McGregor and other prominent Auburn boosters from their investigation. The Newton 's were just shopping their talent's to the wrong people at the wrong time and thus there is hard evidence available that incriminates everyone involved. It's only a matter of time that all of this information becomes public.

FBI found out about Cam before the NCAA did while wiretapping Milton
McGregor and others related to the casino/bingo indictments. They uncovered conversations with McGregor, Auburn and Cam's uncle in Michigan . McGregor paid $250K to the uncle through a PAC and other hidden entities and the uncle funneled the money to Cecil. "

JoeJoeBrown
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Apparently the follow the $ approach led them to Cam's uncle in Michigan + several other middlemen. Maybe the fact that there were so many hands in this explains the long delay from the NCAA in taking any punitive action. Still the $250K money trail ended with Cecil & there's the bottom line:

I received this from relatives in Alabama this morning, it's p/o the same email msg. as above:

“…The Feds have tape from wire taps made on McGregor and other prominent Auburn boosters from their investigation. The Newton 's were just shopping their talent's to the wrong people at the wrong time and thus there is hard evidence available that incriminates everyone involved. It's only a matter of time that all of this information becomes public.

McGregor and others related to the casino/bingo indictments. They uncovered conversations with McGregor, Auburn and Cam's uncle in Michigan . McGregor paid $250K to the uncle through a PAC and other hidden entities and the uncle funneled the money to Cecil. "

Interesting rumors/info... I wonder if this story blows up after the SEC title game or after the NC game?

Kinda surprised that it's been taking so long.

metafour
12-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Interesting rumors/info... I wonder if this story blows up after the SEC title game or after the NC game?

Kinda surprised that it's been taking so long.

LMFAO.

There is no story. You are being riled up by dumbass Bammers and media who dont have a clue.

metafour
12-01-2010, 12:21 PM
Oh yeah; and NCAA ruled Newton eligible today.

Zing.

JoeJoeBrown
12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Oh yeah; and NCAA ruled Newton eligible today.

Zing.

Here is the NCAA release. What an absolute joke. This is basically a roadmap on how to pay players. Everyone denies the kid knew and daddy get's paid. The NCAA is corrupt/powerless.

Might as well just formally professionalize if players are going to get away with getting paid $200k to join a team.

NCAA addresses Cam Newton's eligibility

Auburn University football student-athlete Cam Newton is immediately eligible to compete, according to a decision today by the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff. The NCAA concluded on Monday that a violation of amateurism rules occurred, therefore Auburn University declared the student-athlete ineligible yesterday for violations of NCAA amateurism rules.

When a school discovers an NCAA rules violation has occurred, it must declare the student-athlete ineligible and may request the student-athlete’s eligibility be reinstated. Reinstatement decisions are made by the NCAA national office staff and can include conditions such as withholding from competition and repayment of extra benefits. Newton was reinstated without any conditions.

According to facts of the case agreed upon by Auburn University and the NCAA enforcement staff, the student-athlete’s father and an owner of a scouting service worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton’s commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.

In conjunction with the case, Auburn University has limited the access Newton’s father has to the athletics program and Mississippi State has disassociated the involved individual.

“The conduct of Cam Newton’s father and the involved individual is unacceptable and has no place in the SEC or in intercollegiate athletics,” said Mike Slive, Southeastern Conference Commissioner. “The actions taken by Auburn University and Mississippi State University make it clear this behavior will not be tolerated in the SEC.”

“Our members have established rules for a fair and equal recruitment of student-athletes, as well as to promote integrity in the recruiting process,” said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs. “In determining how a violation impacts a student-athlete’s eligibility, we must consider the young person’s responsibility. Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity, which led to his reinstatement. From a student-athlete reinstatement perspective, Auburn University met its obligation under NCAA bylaw 14.11.1. Under this threshold, the student-athlete has not participated while ineligible.”

“We are pleased that the NCAA has agreed with our position that Cam Newton has been and continues to be eligible to play football at Auburn University,” Auburn University Director of Athletics Jay Jacobs said. “We appreciate the diligence and professionalism of the NCAA and its handling of this matter. “

During the reinstatement process, NCAA staff review each case on its own merits based on the specific facts. Staff decisions are made based on a number of factors including guidelines established by the Division I NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement, as well as any mitigating factors presented by the university.

Reinstatement decisions are independent of the NCAA enforcement process and typically are made once the facts of the student-athlete’s involvement are determined. The reinstatement process is likely to conclude prior to the close of an investigation. It is NCAA policy not to comment on current, pending or potential investigations.

JoeJoeBrown
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Oh, and Reggie Bush should get his Heisman back and USC should be "unpunished". Ridiculous.

critesy
12-01-2010, 12:40 PM

pretty sure there is an article out there from the ncaa saying milton mcgregor had nothing to do with this so there goes that rumour. and yeah. boom

metafour
12-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Here is the NCAA release. What an absolute joke. This is basically a roadmap on how to pay players. Everyone denies the kid knew and daddy get's paid. The NCAA is corrupt/powerless.

Might as well just formally professionalize if players are going to get away with getting paid $200k to join a team.

You are an idiot.

He has been cleared because there is absolutely no proof that anyone paid his father any money. None. The fact that he simply "spoke" about money is not enough to:

A) Conclude that he actually got money. Think of how many close family members of top recruits seek out money...its a lot more prevalent than you'd assume. Every 5-star kid has that "Uncle" that is looking to get paid.

B) Rule him ineligible. The NCAA has never ruled a player ineligible for a family member discussing money; nor should they, because the amount of ineligible players would be in the hundreds if they chose to do so.

Babylon
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
You are an idiot.

He has been cleared because there is absolutely no proof that anyone paid his father any money. None. The fact that he simply "spoke" about money is not enough to:

A) Conclude that he actually got money. Think of how many close family members of top recruits seek out money...its a lot more prevalent than you'd assume. Every 5-star kid has that "Uncle" that is looking to get paid.

B) Rule him ineligible. The NCAA has never ruled a player ineligible for a family member discussing money; nor should they, because the amount of ineligible players would be in the hundreds if they chose to do so.

People stating an opinion arent idiots so get off that kick.

This to me sets a terrible precedent. I'd also say dont try this if you're a Washington or a Minnesota.

keylime_5
12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
this is all screwed up. the ncaa technically can't do anything without proof that the guy got paid, which is fair....but you gotta wonder with the fact that the guy was asking for money for his son's signature, has this ever been done before. The NCAA is kinda playing dumb here and ignoring the fact that this probably has happened before many a time and nothing has been done about it. I guess it's true when they talk about the SEC having their own rules when it comes to recruiting.

metafour
12-01-2010, 01:20 PM
People stating an opinion arent idiots so get off that kick.

What opinion? He doesn't have an opinion on whether or not Newton received any money. He has absolutely no knowledge of whether he took any money. His post was instituting that Newton did indeed get money but Cameron got off because "Cam didn't know". That is bull****. Cameron got off because there is no proof that anyone paid his father any money. That is not opinion, that is the fact right now.

Obviously if money was found to be exchanged then he wouldn't be eligible right now.

HindSight
12-01-2010, 01:20 PM
unreal. don't ride in a golf cart. don't lie to the NCAA about nothing. don't accept $500 and self report it.

but sure. go ahead and take a couple hundred thousand dollars and fix up your dilapidated, dying church. you'll only be suspended for a Tuesday.

HindSight
12-01-2010, 01:21 PM
What opinion? He doesn't have an opinion on whether or not Newton received any money. He has absolutely no knowledge of whether he took any money. His post was instituting that Newton did indeed get money but Cameron got off because "Cam didn't know". That is bull****. Cameron got off because there is no proof that anyone paid his father any money. That is not opinion, that is the fact right now.

Obviously if money was found to be exchanged then he wouldn't be eligible right now.
there's no proof......yet. let's see what the FBI investigation turns up since they, you know, have the ability to turn things up.

metafour
12-01-2010, 01:24 PM
but sure. go ahead and take a couple hundred thousand dollars and fix up your dilapidated, dying church. you'll only be suspended for a Tuesday.

The church has undergone the bare minimum amount of renovation to be eligible of not being demolished. It is STILL not fit to be in use.

Go take a trip yourself. I know from first-hand reports that the church looks like there was barely $200 put into renovating it; let alone $200,000.

metafour
12-01-2010, 01:28 PM
there's no proof......yet. let's see what the FBI investigation turns up since they, you know, have the ability to turn things up.

The FBI's investigation is not centered around whether or not Cecil Newton received money. Could they uncover something? Possibly; but their investigation is about Kenny Rogers and NFL agent Ian Greengross: NOT Cameron Newton.

Chucky
12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
This is the best news ever. yeye

HindSight
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
The FBI's investigation is not centered around whether or not Cecil Newton received money. Could they uncover something? Possibly; but their investigation is about Kenny Rogers and NFL agent Ian Greengross: NOT Cameron Newton.
And your point is? They'll find something if there's something to find....which of course there is. only an Auburn fan or somebody who just likes to argue would deny that.

The NCAA not finding anything is like the blind kid losing at Where's Waldo. Hooray.....Auburns 2010 season will be vacated in a few years instead of ending prematurely.....and also being vacated. At least they'll get to print up TShirts this way.