PDA

View Full Version : Schwartz Job

Notredameleo
11-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Not saying that I believe he should be fired, but at what point do we start asking ourselves if he is right for the team. With the conservative playcalling, and lack of urgency. He is 4-21 as the head coach. At what point do we start wondering? And at what point do you see Mayhew consider a change?

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Next year should be the year. If they don't take a step forward he might be out the door. He has done well using a backup QB. Still need a lot of help in the talent pool.

P-L
11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Last year really shouldn't even count when evaluating him. He took over an 0-16 with absolutely no talent whatsoever on the defensive side of the ball. In just one year under Schwartz, the defense has taken a huge step. I honestly feel that this team is a #1 corner and two linebackers away from being a top ten defense. I've seen a ton of improvement from this team over the past two years. Eventually (next year) we're going to need to see a significant increase in the win column, but right now I'm content to see a much improved product on the field.

Silver & Blue
11-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Last year really shouldn't even count when evaluating him. He took over an 0-16 with absolutely no talent whatsoever on the defensive side of the ball. In just one year under Schwartz, the defense has taken a huge step. I honestly feel that this team is a #1 corner and two linebackers away from being a top ten defense. I've seen a ton of improvement from this team over the past two years. Eventually (next year) we're going to need to see a significant increase in the win column, but right now I'm content to see a much improved product on the field.

Exactly, Schwartz came into a very bad situation. But this team has made huge strides in talent and competitiveness. Our record doesn't show how good this team truly is. If Stafford would have stayed healthy the whole season we could have been making a run for the playoffs. But once the season is over and the draft comes around, we are now in position to get Patrick Peterson. So like P-L said we are a #1 corner and a couple LBs away from being a top defense. I didn't expect us to do good this season because I felt that we were still missing a few pieces, but next year will be our year if everything goes right (minimal injuries, get Peterson, etc.)

king2am
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
This is coming from a self proclaimed Lions hater.

I live in MI and watch the Lions almost every weekend - my roommate is a diehard. I do not like the Lions but I think what Schwartz has done in Detroit is something a lot of teams would kill for.

As someone already stated, he's doing quite a bit with a backup quarterback. I think the corner could have been turned this year (7 wins possibly?) if Stafford could have stayed on the field. He's certainly getting more out of the front four than I thought was even possible.

And then to look at the upcoming draft - Peterson or Amakamura are legit possibilities for you guys and could make you guys pretty nasty in the secondary (big fan of Delmas even though he went to Western).

Long story short, your record this season does not at all reflect the job Schwartz has done in Detroit so far - A healthy Stafford in his third season with the same OC, Megatron, Jahvid (need a bigger back to compliment him IMO), Delmas, Suh, Levy, Smith <-- pretty nice young core of players there. There's a reason "elite" teams like the Jets are now taking notice of these guys and I believe Schwartz deserves some time to see this thing through.

cvv84
11-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Speaking from an outsiders view, I think the Lions are poised to be a very good team in 2-3 years. You guys have alot of key pieces in place and its just a matter time until they all develop together. Stafford is really your key to success. If he can stay healthy the Lions will get out of the cellar.

WMD
11-15-2010, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't fire him. He's been through a lot so far.. Coming to an 0-16 Team with a Rookie QB his first year, and this year would be a lot different if Stafford had been healthy. I think he needs work on his clock management though, and he needs to smack Linehan in the back of the head sometimes with his goofy play calls.

wingboy2999
11-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Give him at least two full seasons with Stafford. By then... we should be good to go on D. We can grab Peterson, go for some OL and LBs and our team may coming into shape.

Brothgar
11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
He is on a 4 year contract I give him the entirety of that contract. Unless they have another 2 win season and discipline issues are still the problem (Penalties etc) we would be foolish to drop him. If we are not 500 next year then schwartz is on the hot seat then he will need a playoff appearance to keep his job.

noondog
11-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Generally speaking I like Schwartz a lot, but there have been a couple of VERY questionable plays called (Stanton throwing on third down with time running out against the Jets comes to mind) and the penalties HAVE to be drastically reduced. I put those on the coaching staff. I want to see improvement in those two areas on a moving forward basis for the balance of the season to feel comfortable with Schwartz for next year.

SRogers92
11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Generally speaking I like Schwartz a lot, but there have been a couple of VERY questionable plays called (Stanton throwing on third down with time running out against the Jets comes to mind) and the penalties HAVE to be drastically reduced. I put those on the coaching staff. I want to see improvement in those two areas on a moving forward basis for the balance of the season to feel comfortable with Schwartz for next year.

These are two things that really piss me off about Lions fans(IE blaming these all on Schwartz)...

1) Schwartz has said numerous times, he told Stanton to "eat it" meaning take the sack if the pass isn't there ... that play is all on Stanton and him trying to do something that didn't need to be done ... hindsight is 20/20, but -- I see nothing wrong with the play, just the execution ...

2) How many times has this OL false started, held, illegal shift, or the defensive line jumped offsides? What can he do about that? These are the most basic things in football - things these guys have been doing since Pee-wee ball, even the announcers are amazed at how often these guys keep doing the same stupid things, what else can he do about that? Cut them?

Either way -- barring some sort of epic collapse next season, he has all of next year and probably the year after.

jrdrylie
11-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Schwartz deserves more time. Detroit has a miserable offensive line. If it wasn't for Chicago, they might have the worst line in the league. If the Lions are smart, they'll talke Peterson with their first pick, whatever offensive lineman is rated highest with their second pick, and then spend some money in free agency to sign Marcus McNeil or Logan Mankins. If Schwartz still can't get it done, then it would be time for a change.

Silver & Blue
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Schwartz deserves more time. Detroit has a miserable offensive line. If it wasn't for Chicago, they might have the worst line in the league. If the Lions are smart, they'll talke Peterson with their first pick, whatever offensive lineman is rated highest with their second pick, and then spend some money in free agency to sign Marcus McNeil or Logan Mankins. If Schwartz still can't get it done, then it would be time for a change.

Didn't Marcus McNeil come to terms on a new contract with San Diego? I have been wanting him for over a year now though if he went into free agency.

DrunkenLament
11-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Didn't Marcus McNeil come to terms on a new contract with San Diego? I have been wanting him for over a year now though if he went into free agency.

Yeah, hes locked up for another five years now

jrdrylie
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh, my bad. I thought he just signed the restricted free agent tender. Now the question is; would San Diego trade him? If Detroit could get him for a 2nd and 4th, I think they would have to. Did Mankins sign a long term deal?

noondog
11-16-2010, 03:40 PM
These are two things that really piss me off about Lions fans(IE blaming these all on Schwartz)...

1) Schwartz has said numerous times, he told Stanton to "eat it" meaning take the sack if the pass isn't there ... that play is all on Stanton and him trying to do something that didn't need to be done ... hindsight is 20/20, but -- I see nothing wrong with the play, just the execution ...

2) How many times has this OL false started, held, illegal shift, or the defensive line jumped offsides? What can he do about that? These are the most basic things in football - things these guys have been doing since Pee-wee ball, even the announcers are amazed at how often these guys keep doing the same stupid things, what else can he do about that? Cut them?

Either way -- barring some sort of epic collapse next season, he has all of next year and probably the year after.

I'm not blaming it all on Schwartz, but let's take Peterman as a case in point: The number of penalties he has taken this year should have warranted at least a benching by now. It's been ridiculous. Schwartz does have to get his point of discipline across to some of the players somehow. The Lions being the second most penalized team in the league, especially considering how many of the penalties have been pre-snap, has a lot to do with discipline. I don't buy into the argument that the coaching staff has no accountibility with those. Just my opinion.

Again, I am a fan of Schwartz, but the team has been beating itself in many respects and that has to change.

detroit4life
11-16-2010, 03:42 PM
isn't jamaal brown a FA this year?

I'd like them to trade for a proven LT. at this point i dont believe putting a rookie at LT is smart. Stafford has to beas protected as possible and having a rookie go up against peppers or allen is a dangerous bet on our part.

RaiderNation
11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
You guys are really 2 good drafts away from having a solid young team. This year you guys should go CB or DE and next year LT and I can see some big things happening for you guys

tblain1
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I would fire him at the end of the season. I don't see enough improvement.

Regards,

Matt Millen

-------------

In all honesty I think we compete for a playoff spot next year if Stafford can give us 12+ games.

tonykart
11-18-2010, 06:24 PM
Bill Parcells

detroit4life
11-19-2010, 01:50 PM
heck why not billicheck?

tblain1
11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Bill Parcells

For a while I thought he might be Chicago bound, but if the Bears keep winning like they have lately then I think the same crappy management will stick around.

Prowler
11-20-2010, 06:29 AM
he gets his final two years.

he gets the full year next year, unless we have an epic failure and only win 1 game with the entire team laying down.

the year after next is the year where he should be coaching for his job.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
11-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeah Schwartz will get at least next year and a 4th barring a disaster year 3. These next 6 games are huge for how the fans feel about him though. Can we get 2 more wins please(division wins)?

I want to stop this road losing badly though. at Tampa and at Miami are not looking good for that though.

Prowler
11-22-2010, 02:44 PM
i want to beat tampa badly to shut them up and put them in their place. josh freeman can't wash matt stafford's car.(or do something with his jock)

Maybe Next Year Millen2
11-22-2010, 03:11 PM
i want to beat tampa badly to shut them up and put them in their place. josh freeman can't wash matt stafford's car.(or do something with his jock)

Yeah Tampa being 7-3 just boggles my mind. But good for them.

Serioulsy 22nd Pass O(Detroit 6th), 12th rush O(Det 31st), 29th rush D(Det 26th), 6th pass D(Det suprisingly 13th).

Sacks Detroit 27 TB 14(including 6 sack game vs San Fran)
Sacks allowed Detroit 18, Tampa Bay 20

Turnover margin plus 7 Tampa, plus 2 Detroit

Must be running the ball by Tampa and penalties by Detroit because not much else is different. Detroit gets much better pressure and can pass much better, both can't stop the run but Tampa can run the ball.

P-L
11-22-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping to see the Lions in Miami the day after Christmas. Oddly enough, I might be back in Michigan that day...

4thandGoal
12-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I think you give Schwartz 2 more years after this season. He took over a team that couldn't win a game.

Drafted a rookie QB, he gets hurt. They have a good offseason and come this season Stafford gets hurt. Best gets turf toe 5 games in and was completely ineffective since.

The defense isn't that good in the back seven. You have to give him a team with some talent in order to gauge him.

Give him two more years and if they still don't have a winning record then you look for another coach.