PDA

View Full Version : TCU joins the Big East in 2012

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 08:48 AM
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/tcu-accepts-offer-from-big-east/

"The Horned Frogs will join the league beginning on July 1, 2012 and begin play in the Big East in the 2012-13 school year."

jrdrylie
11-29-2010, 09:25 AM
The addition of TCU is great for the league, but still leaves them as a small league with only 9 members. Villanova is being considered, but does adding an FCS team (albeit a good one) really add anything? They really need 12 teams. Add UCF, which is an up-and-coming team, FIU (they could be great in a BCS conference with all that Miami talent), and make a play for Notre Dame, if they decline, get back Temple. Then split up the conference like this.

North:
Connecticut
Syracuse
Cincinnati
Rutgers
Villanova
Notre Dame (or Temple)

South:
South Florida
UCF
FIU
Louisville
Pittsburgh
TCU

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Giving BSU the middle finger

Sniper
11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
If ND wanted to join a conference, they would have gone to the Big 10.

ElectricEye
11-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Wow. That's a pretty big geographic disconnect for them, but good for them if they get into a BCS conference, albeit the weakest one. They'll have a recruiting edge over a lot of those teams being able to recruit Texas.

brat316
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
HAHahah, they join in 2012. And then after that they may have to leave if the Big East losses it automatic bid. They go up for voting in 2 year from now. I doubt they loose it, but how funny would that be.

If they have some Big East opponents scheduled in next year that would be great to see how they are going to do.
To bad they couldn't join the Big 12, would have been easier traveling and 5 Texas schools.

ElectricEye
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah, TCU to the Big 12 to replace Nebraska/Colorado sounded a lot better than TCU to the Big East.

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah, TCU to the Big 12 to replace Nebraska/Colorado sounded a lot better than TCU to the Big East.

Yes, but from the Big12's perspective they added ZERO income.

The Big12 already owns the state of Texas for cfb viewership. Competitively, it would have been great.

Also, this move really sucks for BSU. I still think something big will shakeout in the next few years (maybe the Big East becomes the superconference of mid-major football teams?)

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
BCS = 1,376,890,765,434

Opponents of BCS= 0

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 10:15 AM
The addition of TCU is great for the league, but still leaves them as a small league with only 9 members. Villanova is being considered, but does adding an FCS team (albeit a good one) really add anything? They really need 12 teams. Add UCF, which is an up-and-coming team, FIU (they could be great in a BCS conference with all that Miami talent), and make a play for Notre Dame, if they decline, get back Temple. Then split up the conference like this.

North:
Connecticut
Syracuse
Cincinnati
Rutgers
Villanova
Notre Dame (or Temple)

South:
South Florida
UCF
FIU
Louisville
Pittsburgh
TCU
Adding FIU would be a horrendous move and would go a long way towards ensuring that they would actually lose their automatic qualifier.

Plus, they don't need more teams. The main reason they want to add Villanova is because it wouldn't require them to add another basketball school. TCU called their bluff and won, but no other team will have that clout.

NGSeiler
11-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Then split up the conference like this.

North:
Connecticut
Syracuse
Cincinnati
Rutgers
Villanova
Notre Dame (or Temple)

South:
South Florida
UCF
FIU
Louisville
Pittsburgh
TCU

Think you're forgetting someone there...

jrdrylie
11-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Think you're forgetting someone there...

Yeah, my bad. Mis-counted. Forget about FIU and just put West Virginia in there.

But in terms of FIU, why would they be so bad? They dominated the Sun Belt this year, played BCS teams Rutgers and Texas A&M close, they would open up the Miami area for recruiting, and with their good coach and good recruiting, they'll only get better. Sure, they would hurt the Big East in terms of keeping the automatic qualifying status right now, but by the time they join in 2012-2013, they should be a borderline top-25 team, which is where the rest of the Big East is now.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 10:43 AM
But in terms of FIU, why would they be so bad? They dominated the Sun Belt this year, played BCS teams Rutgers and Texas A&M close, they would open up the Miami area for recruiting, and with their good coach and good recruiting, they'll only get better. Sure, they would hurt the Big East in terms of keeping the automatic qualifying status right now, but by the time they join in 2012-2013, they should be a borderline top-25 team, which is where the rest of the Big East is now.
Because it's just one year, and even this year they couldn't hang. Wait, I'm sorry, did you say borderline top 25 team? Are you ******* serious?

Sagarin rankings for the last few years.

2010:
Big East Average: 61
TCU: 4
Central Florida: 51
Villanova: 72
FIU: 103

2009:
Big East: 39
Central Florida: 71
Villanova: 30
FIU: 134

2008:
Big East: 43
TCU: 7
Central Florida: 110
Villanova: 63
FIU: 113

Need I go on?

Honestly I don't think they should add Central Florida either. Villanova is arguably the better football program already, and you wouldn't need to add them for any other sports.

BeerBaron
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
Well....TCU will certainly be the conference's best team right away.

scottyboy
11-29-2010, 11:02 AM
nice, meaning the only chance for rutgers to win the big east has to be...next year. WHOOO!

BeerBaron
11-29-2010, 11:03 AM
nice, meaning the only chance for rutgers to win the big east has to be...next year. WHOOO!

They had two Earthbound Gods in the backfield a few years ago and couldn't do it.....they missed their chance Scotty.

jrdrylie
11-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Because it's just one year, and even this year they couldn't hang. Wait, I'm sorry, did you say borderline top 25 team? Are you ******* serious?

Sagarin rankings for the last few years.

2010:
Big East Average: 61
Central Florida: 51
Villanova: 72
FIU: 103

2009:
Big East: 39
Central Florida: 71
Villanova: 30
FIU: 134

2008:
Big East: 43
TCU: 7
Central Florida: 110
Villanova: 63
FIU: 113

Need I go on?

Honestly I don't think they should add Central Florida either. Villanova is arguably the better football program already, and you wouldn't need to add them for any other sports.

I'm not saying FIU is a top-25 team now. I'm saying in two years. I think their progression as a football program will be very similar to that of USF's. And Villanova is not a better team than UCF.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
If the Big East could add UCF as football only and they want Nova to keep the basketball schools there, it is a possibility they continue expanding. But it honestly doesn't make them much better. They just need their good programs (Pitt, WVU, Syracuse,) to pick it up. Maybe UConn or Rutgers emerges and becomes relevant and they can get back.

Halsey
11-29-2010, 11:53 AM
All this conference changing feels so collegiate! How long until the conferences start taking on sponsors in their name?

"The Big East presented by Chase Bank"

"The Ford Tough SEC"

How long until the Texas Longhorns and USC Trojans begin the wave of college teams leaving the NFL.

Seriously though, teams chaning conferences like this is helping make college football feel more and more like pure pro football.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
All this conference changing feels so collegiate! How long until the conferences start taking on sponsors in their name?

"The Big East presented by Chase Bank"

"The Ford Tough SEC"

How long until the Texas Longhorns and USC Trojans begin the wave of college teams leaving the NFL.

Seriously though, teams chaning conferences like this is helping make college football feel more and more like pure pro football.

Yeah, I hate when all those NFL teams switch divisions! :P

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Would be nice if the MWC could pick up SMU. June Jones has that program on the rise!

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Would be nice if the MWC could pick up SMU. June Jones has that program on the rise!

June Jones is a great coach. Why haven't any of the bigger schools gone after him?

scottyboy
11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
If the Big East could add UCF as football only and they want Nova to keep the basketball schools there, it is a possibility they continue expanding. But it honestly doesn't make them much better. They just need their good programs (Pitt, WVU, Syracuse,) to pick it up. Maybe UConn or Rutgers emerges and becomes relevant and they can get back.

and I think RU and Uconn can do just that. UConn looked impressive at times this year and Rutgers is unbelivably young, like it's insane how young we are. So who knows.

Giantsfan1080
11-29-2010, 01:59 PM
and I think RU and Uconn can do just that. UConn looked impressive at times this year and Rutgers is unbelivably young, like it's insane how young we are. So who knows.

Ehh that's not an excuse for how we played this year. Schiano and staff ruined the season with the terrible offense we run. Also, the defense which was supposed to be a very good unit this year looks like a Pop Warner team. Things aren't looking up for us as much as they used too.

Hurricanes25
This should end all of the talk about the MWC getting an automatic bid. This should also end the talk about the Big East losing the automatic bid.

D-Unit
June Jones is a great coach. Why haven't any of the bigger schools gone after him?
Maybe because he's old...? Not a real aggressive recruiter. His system/style definitely works though. If he had elite players in that system, they'd be a Top 10 year every year.

yo123
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I know that it's not what this change is about but they're are going to get absolutely **** on in basketball.

katnip
11-29-2010, 02:14 PM
any1 else think tcu will be the big easts new miami hurricanes?/dominating team

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2010, 02:22 PM
any1 else think tcu will be the big easts new miami hurricanes?/dominating team

Let's not get crazy here. Miami had been winning national championships and tearing up top competition before joining the Big East.

TCU (or BSU) hasn't come close to doing either.

I do think TCU can come in be like VT in the ACC. Unspectacular but they win the conference a whole bunch. But that is probably even a stretch.

Halsey
11-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I hate when all those NFL teams switch divisions! :P

Darn it! I meant to say "leaving for the NFL".

I blame Scott's forums. :\

BeerBaron
11-29-2010, 02:25 PM
Let's not get crazy here. Miami had been winning national championships and tearing up top competition before joining the Big East.

TCU (or BSU) hasn't come close to doing either.

I do think TCU can come in be like VT in the ACC. Unspectacular but they win the conference a whole bunch. But that is probably even a stretch.

I think if they were in it this year, they would have run it.The conference as a whole is just so unspectacular it's disturbing...Mediocrity across the board.

Giantsfan1080
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
TCU absolutely runs over the Big East this year if they were in the conference. I can't stress enough how bad Big East football is this year.

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2010, 02:31 PM
I think if they were in it this year, they would have run it.The conference as a whole is just so unspectacular it's disturbing...Mediocrity across the board.

I agree with you about this year. Not sure that they would be undefeated, but I do think that they would have dominated.

The Big East blows and even with TCU the BCS peeps need to re-evaluate whether they should get an automatic bid. 8 mediocre teams does not a BCS conference make. Adding one currently decent one (and only relatively current) really doesn't sweeten that pot either.

I'm all for opening up their auto bid to all non-AQs at this point.

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Contrary to popular belief, I think Boise State is happy right now. Who's going to compete against them for the 1 non-BCS conference spot? Not Utah (Pac 12), not TCU (Big East)... They already have the respect from voters (unlike Hawaii). All you have to be is ranked in the Top 12 and you get the bid automatically. Boise is in a league of it's own, with no reason to every leave the MWC. They can get that BCS Bowl bid every year!

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, I think D is on point in that regard. Boise has no prayer of getting a BCS invite, so clearing the field for their own game isn't such a bad scenario.

Worth pointing out that Notre Dame and BYU are up for that same spot as well, however. It wouldn't have to be the winner of the MWC.

Forenci
11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
TCU absolutely runs over the Big East this year if they were in the conference. I can't stress enough how bad Big East football is this year.

Hey now! Don't insult the bulk of us just because Rutgers is a crap program. :D

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I think D is on point in that regard. Boise has no prayer of getting a BCS invite, so clearing the field for their own game isn't such a bad scenario.

Worth pointing out that Notre Dame and BYU are up for that same spot as well, however. It wouldn't have to be the winner of the MWC.
I think ND's TV deal is really what's become the thorn in their side. They have to schedule tough games because those are the games that make people tune in. So while Boise can continue playing cup cakes with a couple of name brand teams sprinkled in the mix, ND has to continue to play a much tougher schedule. Will they ever be 12-0 or 11-1 like Boise? I admit the possibility exists, but it's looking a lot nicer for Boise with TCU out of the annual mix for that spot.

The wild card is BYU, but I don't think Indepence will be very kind on them. We could see them coming back to the MWC in 2 or 3 years.

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I think ND's TV deal is really what's become the thorn in their side. They have to schedule tough games because those are the games that make people tune in. So while Boise can continue playing cup cakes with a couple of name brand teams sprinkled in the mix, ND has to continue to play a much tougher schedule. Will they ever be 12-0 or 11-1 like Boise? I admit the possibility exists, but it's looking a lot nicer for Boise with TCU out of the annual mix for that spot.

The wild card is BYU, but I don't think Indepence will be very kind on them. We could see them coming back to the MWC in 2 or 3 years.

This is good stuff. And you also touch on why I can't stand BSU getting pollster love. I'm so glad TCU is stepping up a notch.

dannyz
11-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I don't get this move. TCU is mad because they don't get a AQ Bid but with BSU,Fresno,Nevada coming in I think they get an AQ bid but they leave that to go to the Big East where more than likely their AQ Bid will be taken away.

Hurricanes25
11-29-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't get this move. TCU is mad because they don't get a AQ Bid but with BSU,Fresno,Nevada coming in I think they get an AQ bid but they leave that to go to the Big East where more than likely their AQ Bid will be taken away.

I don't think the Big East will lose the automatic bid. If anything, TCU just saved the automatic bid for the Big East.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 03:19 PM

More money for them in all sports, including football. With the high profile basketball teams, that will be a huge financial boost as well.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
You're right, you don't get it. The Big East is better than the MWC minus TCU, Utah, and BYU. They were better regardless, but they are clearly better now.

There's an affinity for the Mountain West on this board that simply doesn't jive with reality. This is clearly a no-brainer for TCU.

JoeJoeBrown
11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
There's an affinity for the Mountain West on this board that simply doesn't jive with reality. This is clearly a no-brainer for TCU.

You nailed it.

diabsoule
11-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Tremendous move by both parties involved as this is a mutually beneficial. The Big East immediately becomes stronger in football by getting one of the most dominant non-AQ teams in recent years and TCU gets to be in a BCS conference.

There is some doubt that Villanova will decide to upgrade to FBS and if they don't that means the Big East will be looking for a football only school (if they don't want to add a team for all sports). Like bf_51 pointed out, the Big East really didn't want to add a team for all sports but TCU had enough clout to call their bluff. Both sides needed each other so it worked out but there isn't any other program out there that can use that same amount of leverage.

So, if you're looking for a school that is willing to participate in football only and if Villanova does not upgrade then your choices become fairly slim. There is Temple, Army and Navy right off the bat. ECU and Memphis could be in consideration since it wouldn't take much for them to move their basketball programs over to the CAA or Atlantic 10, respectively.

The only real losers in this situation are Boise State and the Mountain West. As D-Unit pointed out, Boise is all but guaranteed the non-AQ spot in BCS bowl games by just continuing to be the type of program they are. Although it is more of a lateral rather than vertical move for them since the MWC has lost its three best programs. The Mountain West does have better bowl games which will mean more revenue for Boise, Fresno, Nevada, and Hawaii. However, if Boise was looking to raise their level of competition then their only hope is that the Big East invites a C-USA team and then C-USA invites Boise State to fill the void.

The Mountain West was well on its way to becoming an AQ conference with having Utah, BYU, TCU, and Boise State as its top 4 teams but now all they did is replace their three elite teams (Utah, BYU, TCU) with Boise St., Fresno State, Nevada, and Hawaii. While they remain a better conference than the WAC, the level of competition has been significantly lowered with the departure of TCU and so has the Mountain West's dreams of becoming a BCS conference.

Jughead10
11-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I agree with you about this year. Not sure that they would be undefeated, but I do think that they would have dominated.

The Big East blows and even with TCU the BCS peeps need to re-evaluate whether they should get an automatic bid. 8 mediocre teams does not a BCS conference make. Adding one currently decent one (and only relatively current) really doesn't sweeten that pot either.

I'm all for opening up their auto bid to all non-AQs at this point.

This was mainly done to secure that the Big East does not lose its automatic bid. It really is sad. TCU's likely 3 top 10 finishes over the last 3 years are will count for the Big East when the BCS considers these things.

diabsoule
11-29-2010, 05:14 PM
Here are a few choice quotes from TCU's AD Chris Del Conte from his press conference earlier today.

"Think about it. Geographically, the Cowboys play in the NFC East."

"the travel costs to go east are 'negligible' to the ones going west"

"eliminates the excuse that you're not in a BCS Conference, so why would you go there?"

"We went to the Fiesta last year, the Rose Bowl this year. I'll take on all comers. Let's go!"

"The (Big East) is a phenomenal football conference and they have nothing to be ashamed of."

GB12
11-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Let's just count TCU as a Big East team for the BCS games this year.

SickwithIt1010
11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
This is good stuff. And you also touch on why I can't stand BSU getting pollster love. I'm so glad TCU is stepping up a notch.

The only thing is, if BSU could they would move up to an even better conference than the MWC. They would go to the Pac 10 if they had the admission requirements and what not. The MWC and the Pac 10 are really the only decent conferences they can join from a geographical view.

Its a bummer because this conference is now basically the WAC...BSU gained nothing now with the loss of Utah, TCU and BYU.

Sniper
11-29-2010, 05:18 PM
Here are a few choice quotes from TCU's AD Chris Del Conte from his press conference earlier today.

The Cowboys have a filthy-rich owner, no budget and they only have one team, not 30.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Let's just count TCU as a Big East team for the BCS games this year.

Would be nice so we could get another Big 12 team in there!

Jughead10
11-29-2010, 05:22 PM
The Cowboys have a filthy-rich owner, no budget and they only have one team, not 30.

Yeah people are only looking at this through football. Imagine being USF basketball and playing in Syracuse Monday night and having a game in Fort Worth later that week or on Saturday. Obviously they'll try to avoid drastic scenarios like that, but one or two are bound to pop up with 17 teams. The Big East is a joke in football. I care more about this for basketball and it's so unnecessary.

diabsoule
11-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Also, not only does TCU start Big East play in 2012 but they also start a home-and-home series with Oklahoma. In 2013 they start a home-and-home with LSU.

Brent
11-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Would be nice so we could get another Big 12 team in there!
A&M did beat both teams in our conference championship... just sayin'

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Also, not only does TCU start Big East play in 2012 but they also start a home-and-home series with Oklahoma. In 2013 they start a home-and-home with LSU.

Oklahoma isn't home and home, just one game in 2012 @TCU.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 05:29 PM
A&M did beat both teams in our conference championship... just sayin'

It's that whole pesky getting blown out by Mizzou that kills ya!

diabsoule
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Oklahoma isn't home and home, just one game in 2012 @TCU.

Thought it was a home-and-home. I know LSU is. 2013 @ LSU, 2014 @ TCU. They also play Virginia in 2012.

descendency
11-29-2010, 05:30 PM
breaking news:

Boise State am crying.

Shane P. Hallam
11-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Thought it was a home-and-home. I know LSU is. 2013 @ LSU, 2014 @ TCU. They also play Virginia in 2012.

Yup, also at home against Virginia.

dannyz
11-29-2010, 05:58 PM
You're right, you don't get it. The Big East is better than the MWC minus TCU, Utah, and BYU. They were better regardless, but they are clearly better now.

Sorry man I just did not get it. No need to blow up like that. If the Big East also got Houston it would be really good for them too.

descendency
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
The Big East is better than the MWC minus TCU, Utah, and BYU. They were better regardless, but they are clearly better now.

They weren't better regardless.

Nevada, Fresno State, Boise State, TCU, Utah, BYU. Then you have Air Force and Wyoming who have a good year here and there. A rumor that the WMC wanted Houston as a final member . . .

If the Big East played a "BigEast-MWC Challenge" (like the Big 10 and ACC does in basketball), the MWC would win, hands down.

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 06:12 PM
I think what's also notable is that out of TCU, Utah and BYU... TCU going to the Big East is probably the best move of them all. Utah going to the Pac 12 is going to be very tough for them to come out on top...or even finish in the Top 2. BYU going Independent is likely to be a tough road for them, as I said earlier. Going Independent is a costly venture that also puts you in a scheduling bind similar to what ND is stuck in. But TCU going to the Big East... they could winning that Conference and getting the automatic bid seems to be the easiest road to BCS dollar$$$.

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
breaking news:

Boise State am crying.
More like celebrating.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
They weren't better regardless.

Nevada, Fresno State, Boise State, TCU, Utah, BYU. Then you have Air Force and Wyoming who have a good year here and there. A rumor that the WMC wanted Houston as a final member . . .

If the Big East played a "BigEast-MWC Challenge" (like the Big 10 and ACC does in basketball), the MWC would win, hands down.
With the addition of Boise State, yeah, probably. But it's a non-sequitur anyway. Utah and BYU aren't in the MWC and that means it's basically just the WAC again.

Also, how can you include TCU when comparing the two conferences? The whole point is which conference provides more of an overall profile boost for TCU.

Then again if you're including Houston I guess anything is possible.

descendency
11-29-2010, 06:28 PM
With the addition of Boise State, yeah, probably. But it's a non-sequitur anyway. Utah and BYU aren't in the MWC and that means it's basically just the WAC again.

Also, how can you include TCU when comparing the two conferences? The whole point is which conference provides more of an overall profile boost for TCU.

Then again if you're including Houston I guess anything is possible.

If you look at the current situation that they have right now, the move made sense, because the MWC with TCU wasn't better than the Big East without TCU, so obviously subtracting a top 2 team from a conference and adding it to the top 5 (likely #1 TBH) of the Big East, makes perfect sense for them.

As far as how relevant the talk of what teams would have been in the MWC, it takes time for people to grasp how much the MWC has lost. They had a lot of positive momentum going until Utah and BYU broke off. Now TCU breaking off basically makes it another WAC (if TCU had stayed, I would have compared it to the MWC 2.0, not the WAC...).

I'm simply saying that the feeling that you are talking about (MWC > Big East) is predicated on a large amount of what was happening a few months ago.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah but that's not true either.

The Mountain West has NEVER been higher than ANY of the AQ conferences in the Sagarin ratings. Ever. Any year. Any conference.

Why? Because a conference is more than just 3 teams. In your proposed challenge, the bottom 4-5 teams would get slaughtered.

Yes, TCU and Utah are great teams. But they have played a bunch of cupcake teams. Sorry, but that's just reality. They know it too, that's why they are leaving.

jayceheathman
11-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm laughing thinking of how the MWC will basically be this years WAC. haha Boise leaves to get strength of schedule and TCU waives goodbye.

ElectricEye
11-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Yeah, have to agree. Terrible week for Boise State football.

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I'm laughing thinking of how the MWC will basically be this years WAC. haha Boise leaves to get strength of schedule and TCU waives goodbye.
Yeah, well Strength of Schedule was one way to get respect for BCS bowl game eligibility. However, you probably haven't read anything previously posted in this thread because Boise is now the big dog in the kennel and nobody really stands a chance at challenging them for the non-BCS conference spot. They could get it every year if they continue to be as dominant as they have been. Which is a lot easier than being in the Pac 12 and having to come out at the top like Utah has to do.

Who's screwed the most out of everyone? The rest of the WAC. Teams like NMSU. ;)

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, have to agree. Terrible week for Boise State football.
Their future is still bright.

Terrible week though yes because they have to share the WAC Championship Title with Hawaii and Nevada. lol. ...Oh and they lost millions because of their kicker.

SickwithIt1010
11-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Their future is still bright.

Terrible week though yes because they have to share the WAC Championship Title with Hawaii and Nevada. lol. ...Oh and they lost millions because of their kicker.

BSU is set up for a ton of BCS games if they continue to play like they have over the years.

But at the same time they dont want that conference to get weaker, they made that move with the hope of possibly playing for a title one day.

MassNole
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I see TCU doing to the Big East what FSU did to the ACC in the 90's.

jayceheathman
11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah, well Strength of Schedule was one way to get respect for BCS bowl game eligibility. However, you probably haven't read anything previously posted in this thread because Boise is now the big dog in the kennel and nobody really stands a chance at challenging them for the non-BCS conference spot. They could get it every year if they continue to be as dominant as they have been. Which is a lot easier than being in the Pac 12 and having to come out at the top like Utah has to do.

Who's screwed the most out of everyone? The rest of the WAC. Teams like NMSU. ;)

Boise is now going to have the same problem they have had while playing in the WAC and that is the lack of competition. Playing TCU would have definitely helped that every year. Utah is leaving as well as TCU and BYU so Boise gets to play pretty much the same teams. The WAC is going after Texas State and UTSA. NMSU now has a legit chance of winning the WAC. haha :)

descendency
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
More like celebrating.

Huh? Any chance at playing in a legitimate conference just went out the window...

They're basically back in the WAC again.

Vikes99ej
11-29-2010, 10:37 PM
This makes no geographical sense to me. Go money.

wogitalia
11-29-2010, 10:41 PM
More money for them in all sports, including football. With the high profile basketball teams, that will be a huge financial boost as well.

I think this is the key element to all this. MWS may be arguably better in football than the Big East but in other sports, particularly basketball, it is a totally different league. Joining the Big East gives them a great shot at being in an AQ league for football, them joining will likely save that status, but also puts their basketball program into a real league where it can recruit Texas and probably become a legitimately powerful program.

From a football perspective it is a good move, from the other sports it is a phenomenal move.

It's a pity for the MWS, the little league that can just fell apart with realignment and it had a good chance to become a legit conference.

BSU loses a lot of the credibility the league would have given them but also loses a competitor to get into the NC and BCS bowls, it's a win/lose move for them.

diabsoule
11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
This makes no geographical sense to me. Go money.

If you think about it, neither did TCU in the Mountain West. There aren't any mountains in Dallas/Fort Worth and the trips to San Diego and Boise are just as long as those being made to Louisville, Tampa, Huntington, and Pittsburgh.

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Huh? Any chance at playing in a legitimate conference just went out the window...

They're basically back in the WAC again.
Who needs a legitimate conference when there is one BCS Bowl bid that goes to a team from a non-BCS conference and nobody can stand in your way? BYU, Utah and TCU were the top teams contending for that spot against Boise every year. Utah and TCU are out of the picture now. BYU is a wild card, who knows what they were thinking. One thing's for sure... the path got a lot easier for Boise.

Get it?

D-Unit
11-29-2010, 10:46 PM
If you think about it, neither did TCU in the Mountain West. There aren't any mountains in Dallas/Fort Worth and the trips to San Diego and Boise are just as long as those being made to Louisville, Tampa, Huntington, and Pittsburgh.
Louisiana Tech in the WAC is horrendous.

GB12
11-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, now all Boise State has to do is finish in the top 12 and they are guaranteed a BCS Bowl. Might not get them to a championship, but they have an extremely easy path to a BCS game.

diabsoule
11-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Louisiana Tech in the WAC is horrendous.

Probably the most out of place school geographically in any conference. La Tech fits more with C-USA or the Sun Belt than the WAC.

MaxV
11-29-2010, 11:46 PM

An excellent comparison.

Because there is no difference between Cowboys' players and TCU players.

descendency
11-30-2010, 03:15 AM
Who needs a legitimate conference when there is one BCS Bowl bid that goes to a team from a non-BCS conference and nobody can stand in your way? BYU, Utah and TCU were the top teams contending for that spot against Boise every year. Utah and TCU are out of the picture now. BYU is a wild card, who knows what they were thinking. One thing's for sure... the path got a lot easier for Boise.

Get it?

Got it. Thanks. Makes sense now.

LizardState
11-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Well....TCU will certainly be the conference's best team right away.

Another reason why it's a big win-win-win for the Hornytoads.

They retain their Texas fanbase as Big East games will be on Texas TV screens & they get East Coast exposure. Better add for the Big East than Villanova too.

Only downside is the huge increase in travel mileage & expenses for TCU, lotta miles between Ft. Worth & Storrs, CN.

bearsfan_51
11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Only downside is the huge increase in travel mileage & expenses for TCU, lotta miles between Ft. Worth & Storrs, CN.
A lot more miles to Hawaii.

Even for the non-football sports, the difference between the East Coast to Texas and the West Coast to Texas is the same. I don't know how many times this needs to be said.

BeerBaron
11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
They retain their Texas fanbase as Big East games will be on Texas TV screens & they get East Coast exposure. Better add for the Big East than Villanova too.

TCU being able to recruit in Texas while in a BCS conference that doesn't include Texas or Oklahoma will help too.

diabsoule
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Possible split between football and basketball schools in the Big East looming?

http://www.projo.com/college/content/Big_East_Calhoun_McNamara_12-01-10_1OL7VUQ_v3.2f1cd26.html

diabsoule
12-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Also, this is a great article that provides a link to an article previously written in the NY Times that breaks down the travel distances between TCU and the Big East and TCU and the Mountain West.

Avg. distance traveled by TCU if they would have stayed in the Mountain West: 1172 miles.
Avg. distance traveled by TCU being in the Big East: 1308 miles.

So, TCU is able to join a BCS conference and only has to travel 136 more miles on average per year to do so.

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/12/furtherest-travel-distances-between.html

derza222
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Also, this is a great article that provides a link to an article previously written in the NY Times that breaks down the travel distances between TCU and the Big East and TCU and the Mountain West.

Avg. distance traveled by TCU if they would have stayed in the Mountain West: 1172 miles.
Avg. distance traveled by TCU being in the Big East: 1308 miles.

So, TCU is able to join a BCS conference and only has to travel 136 more miles on average per year to do so.

http://news.collegesportsinfo.com/2010/12/furtherest-travel-distances-between.html

Well I'd imagine that's 136 miles per game that they're playing on average, so that would add up relatively quickly. Point taken though, it's not a major, major difference. Still though, that's a little over 2 more hours per trip. Does a nice job of demonstrating how the increased travel expenses are relatively negligible compared to the potential monetary gains though.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2010, 07:06 PM
I imagine there are probably more flight options from Dallas to cities like Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh than there are to Cody, Reno, and Fresno.

diabsoule
12-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Well I'd imagine that's 136 miles per game that they're playing on average, so that would add up relatively quickly. Point taken though, it's not a major, major difference. Still though, that's a little over 2 more hours per trip. Does a nice job of demonstrating how the increased travel expenses are relatively negligible compared to the potential monetary gains though.

Also, TCU would gain 1 to 2 hours on return trips back to Dallas rather than losing 1 to 2 hours on return trips like it does now seeing as it is the only school in the Central time zone in the Mountain West.

12-03-2010, 12:29 AM
People assuming TCU is going to storm through the Big East..they're not. The Big East is a grind on any team...you never see one team stay at the top for very long. And TCU isn't a huge national power full of 5 star recruits that will blow all the nor'eastern kids away. Especially when they lose Patterson, which is inevitable. They better hit a home run with his replacement or rather than dominating the BE they'll be scraps for the established teams.

Smooth Criminal
12-03-2010, 08:55 AM
No one dominated the Big East for long because none ofthem are great programs. The Big East schools are simply not very good.

Itll be a step up in competition for TCU, but they would have dominated it this year certainly. Well see how they do recruiting and building until 2012, but they're definitely a solid program in conference that is pretty weak.

Brent
12-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I imagine there are probably more flight options from Dallas to cities like Cincinnati, Louisville, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh than there are to Cody, Reno, and Fresno.
You don't have to imagine; there are. DFW is situated right in the middle of the metroplex or they could even charter a flight from Ft. Worth Alliance.

12-03-2010, 11:22 PM
No one dominated the Big East for long because none ofthem are great programs. The Big East schools are simply not very good.

Itll be a step up in competition for TCU, but they would have dominated it this year certainly. Well see how they do recruiting and building until 2012, but they're definitely a solid program in conference that is pretty weak.

I agree that they'd have owned it this year. They have their stuff together, have a very good QB and Patterson would immediately be the best coach in the league. But whether they can sustain success, especially without Patterson, remains to be seen. Its not much different than past Big East teams that have hovered around the top 5 but haven't been able to stay there.