View Full Version : 2010 Heisman

703SKINS202
12-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Finalists just announced:

Cameron Newton, QB, Auburn
LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

Newton is obviously the most deserving of the award and should easily win. Will be interesting to see how 2nd and 3rd shakes out. Also should be interesting to see how many people decide not to vote for Newton because of the whole scandal with his dad.

Pretty upset that Justin Blackmon didn't get an invite but WR's never get the Heisman love. Blackmon and Denard Robinson would be my top two to miss the cut.

Thoughts?

NotRickJames
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't see how Newton loses. He deserves it, and this coming from a huge hater.

Kellen Moore has no shot now that Boise's lost a game.

wicket
12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
kellen moore out, colin kaepernick in --> better top 4

Shane P. Hallam
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
One of these four have not been confirmed to have a first place vote yet. Who
wants to guess which one?

Justin Blackmon
Owen Marecic
Denard Robinson
Nate Solder

SickwithIt1010
12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
kellen moore out, colin kaepernick in --> better top 4

agree to disagree.

Kellen's numbers the last 2 years have been out of this world.

BeerBaron
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Justin Blackmon
Owen Marecic
Denard Robinson
Nate Solder

I'm just going to take a wild stab here and say Blackmon....

Robinson...fine, but whoever voted the other two in first place needs to be stripped of his voting privileges pronto.

And I don't see any way Newton loses it. He might lose some votes because of the controversy surrounding him, but he absolutely should win. If he didn't have that, I'd say he should get 100% of the votes.

wicket
12-06-2010, 06:38 PM

Justin Blackmon
Owen Marecic
Denard Robinson
Nate Solder

im going denard. Solder is to weird in the list to the fourth on the list, marecic is a god and played like 500 roles so somebody just fell in love with that so that leaves denard and blackmon. My pick of denard is based on if you like dual threats, just pick Newton (or Kaepernick), they both have been as impressive or more impressive on better record teams

TACKLE
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
whoops! misread the question.

I'm going to say Justin Blackmon.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Did Woody Page vote for Nate Solder?

Shane P. Hallam
12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Nate Solder actually has not received a first place vote. But he did get a second place vote!

All those confirmed with at least one first place vote:

Cam Newton (multiple...obviously)
LaMichael James
Andrew Luck (multiple)
Kellen Moore
Denard Robinson
Justin Blackmon
Owen Marecic

Those with at least one second place vote:

Cam Newton
LaMichael James
Andrew Luck
Kellen Moore
Denard Robinson
Justin Blackmon
Patrick Peterson
Marcus Lattimore
Nate Solder

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
It's cool, whoever wins it is just keeping it warm for Tyler Bray.

TitanHope
12-06-2010, 07:42 PM
The quietest Heisman race that I can remember.

NotRickJames
12-06-2010, 11:58 PM
How does Kaepernick not have a vote, but Kellen Moore does?

The only 'interesting' thing about this heisman race is who finishes second, because Newton's locked it up.

wonderbredd24
12-07-2010, 12:05 AM
I'd vote for Kellen Moore. If not for a choking kicker, they are undefeated

Beyond that, he's been absolutely tremendous and there is no question about his eligibility whereas it is just a matter of time with Newton.

2nd. Andrew Luck

3rd. LaMichael James

49erNation85
12-07-2010, 12:06 AM
How does Kaepernick not have a vote, but Kellen Moore does?

The only 'interesting' thing about this Heisman race is who finishes second, because Newton's locked it up.

Because Moore has put up great passing , rating , and total yards then he has by far . Also no more ten INT the last 2 years . The voters just hate on boise cause of the blue field . Same with the poles and they got jinxed on a bowl game . How does Conn get a bigger bowl ? an 8-4 team .Stupid BCS is ******* broken more then ever .

gpngc
12-07-2010, 12:48 AM
How the **** doesn't Blackmon get invited? That's straight BS.

His worst game was 8 for 105 and one touchdown. That was literally his worst game...

WTF?

What can a receiver do to get considered if not what he did this season?

BS.

SickwithIt1010
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM

His worst game was 8 for 105 and one touchdown. That was literally his worst game...

WTF?

BS.

Larry Fitz got invited but that is literally the only time i have seen one since i have been old enough to remember. Pretty ridiculous, he should have at least gotten invited.

Shane P. Hallam
12-07-2010, 07:26 AM

WTF?

BS.

It's all about the votes.

Dave Whitley of FanHouse votes Marecic 1, Solder 2, Sam Acho 3.

Moore and Luck both have multiple first place votes along with Newton, only ones known so far that do. Kaepernick and Tyrod Taylor got a few 3rd place votes. I do think Nick Fairley deserves some love.

LonghornsLegend
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM
On top of a WR having a ridiculous season he'd have to be a force on Special Teams. Returning punts, kicks for TD's, big plays at big times, and his team would likely need to be in the NC hunt. Perfect storm basically.

Charles Woodson probably wouldn't have won the Heisman without the Special Teams effect and his team being 1 of the best in the nation.

I also think if it wasn't for the Cam controversy he would have won by the biggest margin ever this year. With that he'll still win but not by as many as he should, but it'll still be pretty big.

Sniper
12-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Consider me a tad disappointed that Denard wasn't even invited.

If voting by the letter of the law (i.e integrity and all that jazz...), then I'd go...

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan
3. Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State

If everyone's included regardless, I'd go...

1. Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2. LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
3. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
4. Denard Robinson, QB, Michigan
5. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

nrk
12-07-2010, 09:43 AM
The quietest Heisman race that I can remember.

2006 was really quiet. Everyone knew Troy Smith was going to win.

jrdrylie
12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
I actually read the Heisman rules where it says "pursuit of excellence with integrity" so Newton and James don't even make my balot. Even without the character concerns, I'd vote Andrew Luck because I think he is a more outstanding player.

1. Andrew Luck
2. Kellen Moore
3. Patrick Peterson

Michigan
12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
I personally would leave Newton, James, and Blackmon off of my ballot. It's a joke that Newton's still eligible, and James and Blackmon have been arrested too recently.

1. Andrew Luck
2. Denard Robinson
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Marcus Lattimore
5. Colin Kaepernick

SeanTaylorRIP
12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I personally would leave Newton, James, and Blackmon off of my ballot. It's a joke that Newton's still eligible, and James and Blackmon have been arrested too recently.

1. Andrew Luck
2. Denard Robinson
3. Ryan Mallett
4. Marcus Lattimore
5. Colin Kaepernick

I find it funny how you will leave James and Blackmon off the list because they have been arrested yet have Mallett sitting pretty there at 3. And I don't want to hear that it's because Mallett was arrested longer ago, because if we are going to be that technical and go by these supposed Heisman standards of character excellence, no one who has been arrested should win. I think some of you are taking that phrase too much to heart, as long as you are eligible it shouldn't affect your Heisman chances. This isn't a nomination for a nobel peace prize.

BTW I am one of those who belives that Darron Thomas should be the Oregon representative over James, also think Dalton deserves some mention. Even with his arrest Blackmon would have been a finalist had Okstate beaten Oklahoma and made a BCS game. Not getting that showcase game against Nebraska and Prince killed his chances at being a finalist.

P-L
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Crabtree damn near racked up 2000 receiving yards to go along with 22 touchdowns in 2007 and didn't get invited. If Crabtree couldn't get an invite in 2007, there was little chance of Blackmon getting one this year.

Brent
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Crabtree damn near racked up 2000 receiving yards to go along with 22 touchdowns in 2007 and didn't get invited. If Crabtree couldn't get an invite in 2007, there was little chance of Blackmon getting one this year.
This guy, he speaks the truth! He made Graham Harrell look decent. Don't believe me? Look at Harrell before Crabs started playing.

Shane P. Hallam
12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
So far, eight voters are confirmed to have left Newton off their ballot. There votes were:

Andrew Luck: Three #1s, one #2, and two #3s.
Kellen Moore: Two #1s and three #2s.
LaMichael James: Two #2s and two #3s.
Denard Robinson: One #1 and one #3.
Justin Blackmon: One #1.
Terrelle Pryor: One #3.

Those voters are:
Andy Baggot of Wisconsin State Journal
Gene Frenette of the Florida Times Union
Chuck Hathcock of the Dallas Star
Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press
Kyle Tucker of Virginian-Pilot
Jon Spencer of centralohio.com
Mike Bianchi of the Orlando Sentinel

And then Whitley's vote of Marecic, Solder and Acho.

wonderbredd24
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
I wonder where Denard Robinson got his #1 vote from...

Drew Sharp of the Detroit Free Press

Sniper
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM

I seriously have to contest your common sense on this one.

RealityCheck
12-07-2010, 06:56 PM
It's cool, whoever wins it is just keeping it warm for Bryn Renner.
Fixed for truth.

Moore or Luck would get my vote because of the whole Newton investigation thing.

Michigan
12-08-2010, 11:04 AM

LOL AHAHAHHHHHAHAHAHAAHAHHA DO YOU KNOW WHO DREW SHARP IS?!!?!?! HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHa

P-L
12-08-2010, 11:09 AM
He got it from Jon Spencer of centralohio.com.

Yeah, you read that right. A guy who writes for a Columbus, OH news website voted Denard Robinson #1.

Sniper
12-08-2010, 11:14 AM
He got it from Jon Spencer of centralohio.com.

Yeah, you read that right. A guy who writes for a Columbus, OH news website voted Denard Robinson #1.

Drew Sharp probably voted for Chris L. Rucker.

P-L
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Drew Sharp probably voted for Chris L. Rucker.
He actually had Denard on his ballot, just not #1.

Sharp voted:

1. Andrew Luck
2. LaMichael James
3. Denard Robinson

Shane P. Hallam
12-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Looks like Luck is the clear cut number 2 and should have double digit first place votes when all is said and done.

TACKLE
12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
It's Cam!

Surprise. :/

49erNation85
12-11-2010, 08:03 PM
freaking sucks not even a small love for Boise State . Haters .

yo123
12-11-2010, 08:04 PM
I hate how the Heisman never has any suspense to it.

Chucky
12-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Yay Cam. Wasn't any doubt but still awesome.

One of the best seasons of all time in College Football history. Now he's just gotta finish it off in Glendale.

Foosballphan
12-11-2010, 08:17 PM
This is kind of a dumb question but it occurred to me when I saw the Heisman court on ESPN and saw how Cam Newton dwarfed everyone. Is Cam physically the biggest person to ever win the Heisman? I'm thinking Ron Dayne probably had a few pounds on Newton but was only 5' 10". Anyone else close?

BeerBaron
12-11-2010, 08:21 PM
This is kind of a dumb question but it occurred to me when I saw the Heisman court on ESPN and saw how Cam Newton dwarfed everyone. Is Cam physically the biggest person to ever win the Heisman? I'm thinking Ron Dayne probably had a few pounds on Newton but was only 5' 10". Anyone else close?

That's a reasonable guess........I can't think of anyone. No one recently for sure.

Now if Orlando Pace had won it that year.....different story.

jrdrylie
12-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Anyone else notice that during one of the videos, Cam said "I treated this thing like I was a professional." Very ironic considering how much his daddy got paid.

It's a shame he won though. In a few years we'll have another empty year with no Heisman winner after they inevitably take it away from him.

keylime_5
12-11-2010, 08:27 PM
yeah, it's only appropriate that Newton acts "like a professional" during this whole process, lol.

I feel like there's a bit of a double standard with the whole Cam Newton thing, considering voters are punishing steroid users in baseball by not putting them into the HOF even though technically there is little actual proof they used steroids for many of them (yet we know they did), but they let Newton slide with the play for pay thing.

jrdrylie
12-11-2010, 08:30 PM
yeah, it's only appropriate that Newton acts "like a professional" during this whole process, lol.

I feel like there's a bit of a double standard with the whole Cam Newton thing, considering voters are punishing steroid users in baseball by not putting them into the HOF even though technically there is little actual proof they used steroids for many of them (yet we know they did), but they let Newton slide with the play for pay thing.

I'm glad that 105 voters left him off their ballots entirely. At least some people still believe in college players being amateurs.

dannyz
12-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Cam was acting like a Douch the Whole time. Talking when others were and acting like he won even though he already knew he won.

Chucky
12-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm glad that 105 voters left him off their ballots entirely. At least some people still believe in college players being amateurs.

Ya....those 105 voters were morons....its called being innocent until proven guilty. There is clearly not enough evidence to prove that Cam Newton did anything wrong. If there was he wouldn't have been eligible for the award and couldn't have been put down on any ballots.

BeerBaron
12-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Ya....those 105 voters were morons....its called being innocent until proven guilty. There is clearly not enough evidence to prove that Cam Newton did anything wrong. If there was he wouldn't have been eligible for the award and couldn't have been put down on any ballots.

I feel the same way....but I also don't like that if a Heisman is taken away, it is just left vacant. Two vacant Heisman's? lame.

keylime_5
12-11-2010, 08:44 PM

but wasn't it that they found that Daddy Newton definitely conspired to get paid for his son's services, just that they couldn't find enough evidence to rule that Cam was part of it to make him ineligible. Barry Bonds has never been suspended for steroids either.

BeerBaron
12-11-2010, 08:46 PM
but wasn't it that they found that Daddy Newton definitely conspired to get paid for his son's services, just that they couldn't find enough evidence to rule that Cam was part of it to make him ineligible. Barry Bonds has never been suspended for steroids either.

I believe the money issue. The NCAA wants all of the big $$$$ that comes with letting a star player play in the Championship game and win a Heisman. If they suspend him, fewer people watch, they make less money in the end.

It's waaaaay too fishy for him to not have anything against him. But, as long as he's eligible and the NCAA says he is, he deserved the Heisman.

I just don't like it that if they take it away down the road, no one else gets it....

Chucky
12-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Hence the innocent until proven guilty. They couldn't prove Cam was guilty of anything....therefore those who didn't vote for him are ******* morons. I mean there are rumours of Ryan Mallet doing coke(I believe or something along these lines) doesn't mean that people shouldn't vote for him because of these rumours(and yes I recognize that the Cam rumours have more substance to them)

Edit- and regards to Barry Bonds....I'm pretty sure that there is solid proof to him doing steroids as he admitted that he did steroids in his testimony in the Balco case and whatnot.

keylime_5
12-11-2010, 08:57 PM
My only point really is that the double standard is what's wrong, not just voting for Newton. There will be more than a few guys who don't go to the baseball HOF despite them not technically having any real evidence that they used steroids.

Chucky
12-11-2010, 09:02 PM
My only point really is that the double standard is what's wrong, not just voting for Newton. There will be more than a few guys who don't go to the baseball HOF despite them not technically having any real evidence that they used steroids.

I mean....most of that major guys there realy is evidence. Can't think of a guy who isn't gonna make it in and doesnt have enough proof against them.

niel89
12-11-2010, 09:09 PM
It's waaaaay too fishy for him to not have anything against him. But, as long as he's eligible and the NCAA says he is, he deserved the Heisman.

I agree. The NCAA has a lot more to lose if they declare him ineligible. I'm fine that he got the Heisman because he earned it on the field, but I'm not sure if he is going to keep it long term.

Also, I chuckled when Cam said something like "I thank my mom and dad for the things they do that no one ever sees."

Giantsfan1080
12-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Did anyone else catch it when Cam said his parents were doing things in the background that nobody else realized to help him or something very similar to that?

Giantsfan1080
12-11-2010, 09:12 PM
I agree. The NCAA has a lot more to lose if they declare him ineligible. I'm fine that he got the Heisman because he earned it on the field, but I'm not sure if he is going to keep it long term.

Also, I chuckled when Cam said something like "I thank my mom and dad for the things they do that no one ever sees."

Haha you beat me by a couple of seconds. I'm glad someone else noticed though, I couldn't believe he said that regardless of what his intentions were.

niel89
12-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Haha you beat me by a couple of seconds. I'm glad someone else noticed though, I couldn't believe he said that regardless of what his intentions were.

He needs to watch his words a little more up there. He should have just cried like Ingram.

P-L
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Anyone else notice that Owen Marecic got THREE first place votes?

critesy
12-12-2010, 11:33 AM
lol 7% of voters voted for cam, just not #1... wtf?!

RealityCheck
12-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Props to Newton, though I don't agree with it.

He deserved for what he's done on the field, but I wouldn't have included him on my ballot due to all the scam investigations and all.

For that, Luck, Moore, James, CK and Denard are more deserving.

iowatreat54
12-12-2010, 02:36 PM
lol 7% of voters voted for cam, just not #1... wtf?!

So you're saying every voter (or every voter that had him on their ballot) should have voted Cam #1?

Cam had a great year, but it's not like he deserved to be the first unanimous Heisman winner ever.

Chucky
12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
So you're saying every voter (or every voter that had him on their ballot) should have voted Cam #1?

Cam had a great year, but it's not like he deserved to be the first unanimous Heisman winner ever.

I think hes saying that if someone overlooked the "allegations" against Newton enough to put him on his ballot then it is absurd to not have him #1 as just based on stuff on the field it wasnt even close

niel89
12-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Anyone else notice that Owen Marecic got THREE first place votes?

People just know how awesome he is.

iowatreat54
12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
I think hes saying that if someone overlooked the "allegations" against Newton enough to put him on his ballot then it is absurd to not have him #1 as just based on stuff on the field it wasnt even close

So if Newton was on a ballot, he should have been #1 is what your saying? Or for all intents and purposes, he should have been the first unanimous Heisman winner ever? (if you discount people who just left him off for non-football reasons)

critesy
12-12-2010, 08:39 PM
what is yes.

niel89
12-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I though Newton was the clear cut #1. If you are fine with the allegations, then he should easily be #1 on the ballot. If he is on your ballot, the only logical place is at the top. However, not all voters are all that logical.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-12-2010, 09:51 PM
The thing I find funny are the voters who left him off because the whole integrity part of the Heisman yet they had James as #2 on their ballot. The same guy who gut arrested for hitting his girlfriend before the season. Funny enough the only thing Cam has been convicted of is the laptop thing 3 years ago. If voters wanted to get so technical and argue the character thing than James and Mallett shouldn't have been on any ballots as well as I don't think an arrest record lives up to the "integrity of the award."

Chucky
12-12-2010, 09:56 PM
So if Newton was on a ballot, he should have been #1 is what your saying? Or for all intents and purposes, he should have been the first unanimous Heisman winner ever? (if you discount people who just left him off for non-football reasons)

Yes, just based on on-field play I don't see how anyone could be put ahead of Newton. If that makes him the first unanimous Heisman winner ever than sure...so be it. He had one of the best college football seasons of all time(so far). Of course there will always be voters with a different motive and those who like to stand out.

wogitalia
12-13-2010, 12:38 AM

How about Reggie? I think that double standard is actually worse than the baseball comparison. Reggie was punished because his parents benefited yet Cam wasn't. That double standard stinks and really with all the investigations going on right now it is only a matter of time before he is handing it back if even 10% of the rumours are truthful.

That is correct and he shouldn't be the first unanimous decision because it should have happened before. Like everything there is a lot of politics involved in the whole process. If you have no ethical objection to Cam Newton then he should get the 1 vote from you because he was on a clearly higher level than anyone else that plays a position that is "eligible" for the Heisman.

Throughout the years there are plenty of other guys that should have been in the same situation.