PDA

View Full Version : Ken Hamlin to visit Dallas

dc4life
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Dallas chasing Hamlin

Adam Schefter
NFL Analyst

(March 20, 2007) -- After losing to the Seahawks in the playoffs, the Cowboys are considering importing help from the city in which their 2006 season ended.

Seahawks safety Ken Hamlin, one of the last big names remaining from the free-agent class of 2007, is scheduled to visit Dallas the morning of March 21. Hamlin already has visited New Orleans, which decided to cast its lot with former Cincinnati safety Kevin Kaesviharn.

Now Hamlin needs the Cowboys as much as they need him. In recent seasons, the Cowboys have struggled to get the productivity they need out of the safety position.

The team wanted to upgrade the position in free agency, just not at the premium prices the top free agents were asking. Now that time has passed and prices have dropped, Hamlin and the Cowboys could be the perfect match.

Dallas likes its two young safeties, Pat Watkins and Abram Elam, but neither is established like Hamlin is. Now the two sides get to do a safety dance and see if they can hammer out an agreement that would bolster Dallas' secondary and give Roy Williams a running mate who would frighten most receivers in the league.

The other talented and available free-agent safety is Indianapolis' Mike Doss, who recently visited Tampa Bay and Philadelphia. Cincinnati recently expressed interest in Doss after it lost Kaesviharn but, as of yet, no team has been willing to meet Doss' demands.

http://nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10072261

__________________________________________________ _________
Thoughts anyone? Its looking less likely that we'll draft a safety.

thule
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
reported this earlier...I don't know if I like the move...I can't imagine what type of money he is looking for...but I won't be surprised to see him here. We still have about 14 mill in cap space...I just hope we put it to good use.

dc4life
03-20-2007, 10:25 PM
reported this earlier...I don't know if I like the move...I can't imagine what type of money he is looking for...but I won't be surprised to see him here. We still have about 14 mill in cap space...I just hope we put it to good use.

I don't think he'd cost too much since no team has taken a serious interest in him besides the Saints, who already got their man at safety.

Now that Archuletta is gone, maybe the Redskins?

thule
03-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't think he'd cost too much since no team has taken a serious interest in him besides the Saints, who already got their man at safety.

Now that Archuletta is gone, maybe the Redskins?

I actually look at it from the pov that he has been out in FA so long he is holding out till he gets "his" type of deal...like the Ty Law situation.

MeEtMeAtTheStAr
03-20-2007, 11:28 PM
I love this guy, he is the total package. He can cover and lay guys out! Just a thought but if we pick up Hamlin, maybe he can move to Cb and play the nickel.

BX
03-20-2007, 11:44 PM
LOL. We finally find a solution for FS and you want to make him a nickel corner?!? ROFL.

Im_a_Romosexual
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't want him lined up at corner, hes not that good in coverage and we have a pretty good nickle back in glenn anyways

LonghornsLegend
03-21-2007, 04:21 AM
I guess im in the minority, but i would love this signing...hamlin is a very solid Safety with cover skills, and i think roy makes him a better player just as much as hamlin makes roy better out there...it means we still give watkins a roster spot as a backup, and maybe a starter in a few years since he's still on his rookie contract....

thus opening up what we can do in the first rd, and now im really intrigued by the aaron ross pick, i think that makes our secondary very strong, where as it was a weakness before....

id love ross in rd 1, and BPA DE in the 2nd rd, whoever would be there.....

but regardless, i think this is a move we should take, money has been thrown around all FA, and hamlin wont demand much with him still being without a team, he will step in and play better then watkins or any rookie will, and it brings experience to the position...instead of having a rookie, and watkins there

TNewFan41
03-21-2007, 01:35 PM
IF we sign Ken Hamline, we have absolutely no needs for a STARTING PLAYER!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!

Now we trade up and get Branch!

Staubach12
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
IF we sign Ken Hamline, we have absolutely no needs for a STARTING PLAYER!!!!! AMAZING!!!!!!

Now we trade up and get Branch!

Ugh... You get your mind set on stuff, and you won't let go of it. Why must you type the same thing in multiple threads? We ave ther needs, and big ones at that.

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 04:11 PM
I guess im in the minority, but i would love this signing...hamlin is a very solid Safety with cover skills, and i think roy makes him a better player just as much as hamlin makes roy better out there...it means we still give watkins a roster spot as a backup, and maybe a starter in a few years since he's still on his rookie contract....

thus opening up what we can do in the first rd, and now im really intrigued by the aaron ross pick, i think that makes our secondary very strong, where as it was a weakness before....

id love ross in rd 1, and BPA DE in the 2nd rd, whoever would be there.....

but regardless, i think this is a move we should take, money has been thrown around all FA, and hamlin wont demand much with him still being without a team, he will step in and play better then watkins or any rookie will, and it brings experience to the position...instead of having a rookie, and watkins there
No you're not in the minority. You just need to visit more often to know what we all think around here.

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Ugh... You get your mind set on stuff, and you won't let go of it. Why must you type the same thing in multiple threads? We ave ther needs, and big ones at that.
LOL. All he ever does is go off what I say and then proclaims it 100 times louder to act like he's thought it the whole time. LMAO!

robert_in_bigd
03-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Hamlin? <Yawn> How much? Isn't Williams too pricey to begin with?

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Hamlin? <Yawn> How much? Isn't Williams too pricey to begin with?
Yes. Cost will be a big stickler. He must be asking a lot considering the Saints thought of him as a top FA target and didn't sign him.

Having him on board would be more like, ehhh ok.... Guess we'll see how that goes sort of thing.

TNewFan41
03-21-2007, 06:08 PM
WHen do I ever copy what you say D-Unit? The only thing we agree on is Reggie Nelson....

D-Unit
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
WHen do I ever copy what you say D-Unit? The only thing we agree on is Reggie Nelson....
It's ok. I'm in the business of educating those who lack the ability to form their own opinions. HAHA!

thule
03-21-2007, 09:42 PM
The more I think about bringing Hamlin in the more I warm up to it. Most of the people forget how good Hamlin was before he was sidelined. He was really imo one of the top over-the-top safeties in the game. So I think a few of us may be underestimating his talent level.

Another thing I love about Hamlin is the experience. He gives us something we don't have at the FS position. One of the best things for Roy when Woodson was here was Woodson direction him on certain audibles. I went to a Lions game a couple years back...Woodson was yelling an audible at Newman from the sidelines...what do you know...Newman came down with an INT. I think this is a big problem of our secondary getting beat deep. Sure we can say it translates from pressure. But if we had someone back there would could direct our secondary I would feel a lot better. Hamlin gives us this aspect that a rookie like Nelson and others couldn't. I mean how many times when watching Ed Reed do you see him on top of the screen pointing guys out...we don't have that in our secondary...I really think Hamlin could be that guy for us. Plus we don't completely string out Watkins development. Bringing in a safety with NFL experience would also allow us to let Roy play the Rover in passing situations. I would be scared leaving a rookie and Watkins back deep on 3rd and long...but Hamlin and Watkins would make me feel a lot more at ease. Plus look at this quote from the dmn blog...
"It's definitely a place that fits me and I think it would be a great place," Hamlin said. "We've just got to see."

The Cowboys and his agent, Kennard McGuire, have not begun talks yet. Hamlin is scheduled to have dinner tonight with coaches as well. He has visited New Orleans and has interest from a few other teams but said he would like to have a new home ASAP.

He said he would be a good fit opposite Roy Williams.

"I think it would definitely let Roy do his thing, be a playmaker," Hamlin said.

KILLERSANTA
03-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Man...Only if someone would have called these signing(Davis, Johnson, Hamlin(soon))...In some kind of offseason thread, Called "My Offseason"..that person would some kind of genius!

dc4life
03-21-2007, 11:06 PM
The more I think about bringing Hamlin in the more I warm up to it. Most of the people forget how good Hamlin was before he was sidelined. He was really imo one of the top over-the-top safeties in the game. So I think a few of us may be underestimating his talent level.

Another thing I love about Hamlin is the experience. He gives us something we don't have at the FS position. One of the best things for Roy when Woodson was here was Woodson direction him on certain audibles. I went to a Lions game a couple years back...Woodson was yelling an audible at Newman from the sidelines...what do you know...Newman came down with an INT. I think this is a big problem of our secondary getting beat deep. Sure we can say it translates from pressure. But if we had someone back there would could direct our secondary I would feel a lot better. Hamlin gives us this aspect that a rookie like Nelson and others couldn't. I mean how many times when watching Ed Reed do you see him on top of the screen pointing guys out...we don't have that in our secondary...I really think Hamlin could be that guy for us. Plus we don't completely string out Watkins development. Bringing in a safety with NFL experience would also allow us to let Roy play the Rover in passing situations. I would be scared leaving a rookie and Watkins back deep on 3rd and long...but Hamlin and Watkins would make me feel a lot more at ease. Plus look at this quote from the dmn blog...

You know what, I totally agree. We'll have experience in the backfield. We won't have to mentor a rookie and other safeties like we have in the past couple of years. It's time to solidify the FS spot.

Also I don't think he was that BAD last year. I mean at one point 3/4ths of Seattle's secondary was injured during the 2nd half of the season or towards the last couple of games. They even brought in PETE HUNTER to play against us :eek: in the playoff game. And they had Justin Babineux as the other corner I think. Now that had to effect his play a little, picking up the slack.

MeEtMeAtTheStAr
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
LOL. We finally find a solution for FS and you want to make him a nickel corner?!? ROFL.

If Watkins is our solution at FS you wouldnt be seeing all these sigs with reggie nelson in them.. Im not saying Watkins isnt good but i dont think hes even close to Kamlin

MeEtMeAtTheStAr
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I wouldn't want him lined up at corner, hes not that good in coverage and we have a pretty good nickle back in glenn anyways

Last year alot of scouts were saying he could play both CB and Safety... Glenns good but is getting older and slower

thule
03-22-2007, 12:16 AM
If Watkins is our solution at FS you wouldnt be seeing all these sigs with reggie nelson in them.. Im not saying Watkins isnt good but i dont think hes even close to Kamlin

Watkins wasn't brought in to start. Hell I still remember talking with kwhy back in the day. Watkins was ahead of Bullocks on my FS list...but neither of us thought he would come in and start right away. He was just too lanky for the NFL...little did we know Watkins would be leading the team in tackles going into week 6. Watkins overperformed last year...when he wasn't even suppose to be on the field. I think too many people forgot what he was brought in here to do his first year. I thought he would get some mild special teams time...and bulk up...he far exceeded my expectations.

The only thing Hamlin has on Watkins is experience.

I'm glad to know that sig's tell our solutions too...I'll keep that in my memory.

D-Unit
03-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Who ever suits up at FS, I will cheer my guts out for. Hamlin, Watkins, Nelson or whoEVA!

Go Cowboys
03-22-2007, 10:31 AM
I like the idea of bringing in Hamlin. It helps out the pass defense as well as talent there. Whether it be for a few years or 1 it could be a good fit.

bigmac076
03-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Watkins wasn't brought in to start. Hell I still remember talking with kwhy back in the day. Watkins was ahead of Bullocks on my FS list...but neither of us thought he would come in and start right away. He was just too lanky for the NFL...little did we know Watkins would be leading the team in tackles going into week 6. Watkins overperformed last year...when he wasn't even suppose to be on the field. I think too many people forgot what he was brought in here to do his first year. I thought he would get some mild special teams time...and bulk up...he far exceeded my expectations.

I'm glad to know that sig's tell our solutions too...I'll keep that in my memory.
no doubt man, I think we sohuld go after Dr.Doom as a late sleeper.

MeEtMeAtTheStAr
03-22-2007, 12:17 PM

Sigs dont tell our solutions but why would we not go after Hamlin a provein starter in this league rather then a rookie like Nelson. Again im not saying Watkins isnt going to be good because he has alot of talent but i just dont want to have another year of question marks at FS

D-Unit
03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Sigs dont tell our solutions but why would we not go after Hamlin a provein starter in this league rather then a rookie like Nelson. Again im not saying Watkins isnt going to be good because he has alot of talent but i just dont want to have another year of question marks at FS
That's the dumbest logic that some people always bring up. The proven starter versus the elite prospect. Are you saying you would rather have Donald Driver than Calvin Johnson? I never understood that logic.

nrcirc
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?editorialAuthor=1&id=7C35828F-F093-D2EC-657C16E92C35AB73

Woodson said Watkins is better FS than Ken Hamlin. He does not want him as Cowboys because of that.

Paul
03-22-2007, 08:55 PM
I think ESPN is getting to Woody's head. The scenario will probably be that they'll compete for the FS job. Which is good in my book.

MeEtMeAtTheStAr
03-22-2007, 09:21 PM
That's the dumbest logic that some people always bring up. The proven starter versus the elite prospect. Are you saying you would rather have Donald Driver than Calvin Johnson? I never understood that logic.

You got me on that one, but i still rather have Hamlin over anybody out there besides Landry

thule
03-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I think ESPN is getting to Woody's head. The scenario will probably be that they'll compete for the FS job. Which is good in my book.

That is fine with me as long as Hamlin isn't given too big of a contract to be allowed to sit on the bench.