PDA

View Full Version : Urban Meyer stepping down?

BigJohn98
12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Just saw this on Twitter. It's the hot rumor right now.

GatorUpdates Urban Meyer to step down as #Gators head coach this evening at 5pm EST per athletic department.

JoeJoeBrown
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Here is a good feed: Todd Wright (http://twitter.com/#!/todd_wright)

Think he goes to Michigan? :)

49erNation85
12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Some tough choice ? I wonder if it will stick this time. Last year this time he tried too but couldn't leave. It would be nice of a change and a new playbook in stack would be nice too .The spread just isn't working any more with a stellar QB like Tebow .I really doubt he goes any where Joe .

JoeJoeBrown
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Some tough choice ? I wonder if it will stick this time. Last year this time he tried too but couldn't leave. It would be nice of a change and a new playbook in stack would be nice too .The spread just isn't working any more with a stellar QB like Tebow .I really doubt he goes any where Joe .

He could join Tebow in Denver!!!!

I do agree that if he quits, it's probably for a long break. And you are right, the spread option only really works with a QB that has a great combo of brains, running ability, and decent passing skills. You also absolutely need a speedy playmaker to hold off the LBs from covering the TE dump and QB/RB running option.

BigJohn98
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
It's official now.

Urban is a coward.

The Unseen
12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
cya Urban.

(the advantage of the above comment is that "cya" can both mean "goodbye" and "cya later.")

Bengals78
12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
He will be back in a few months...or in Denver...not coaching...just hangin'

Brent
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Urban is a coward.
how so? (I really have no idea why he is leaving).

Notredameleo
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Dear Florida,

Please leave Charlie Strong alone, and never ever ask to talk to him.

Sincerely,

A University of Louisville Student

JRTPlaya21
12-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Won't miss the guy one bit. Poor gators haha.

MassNole
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Wow, might as well call Jimbo Fisher the Floridian Coach Killer.

2 bitter rivals + 2 manhood stealing blowouts to FSU = Fisher the Coach Killer.

BigJohn98
12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
how so? (I really have no idea why he is leaving).

I don't buy into the health issues. I just think he can't stand losing so bad because Tebow isn't there anymore and that he can't bare through a down year or two to rebuild the program.

49erNation85
12-08-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm sure the main reason is because he can't stand lossing and has no real QB and his spread system just isn't working any more and it is about time IMO.He was a good Coach when he had the players ,however, when they are no longer that skilled you gotta look and change the offense to what you have more move into a better skilled playbook to fit your players. Its not rocket science. I doubt he makes a move or chance to go to Denver , possible tho . Any word on who is taking over for the Gators ? Yes I am stil a fan after horrible season lol .

MassNole
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't buy into the health issues. I just think he can't stand losing so bad because Tebow isn't there anymore and that he can't bare through a down year or two to rebuild the program.
That and FSU has no righted their ship and has a coach who can beat him out for recruits and on the field. From what I've already heard Dan Mullen is more or less a done deal to replace the Hotdog man in Hogtown. Which is so-so news for FSU but devastating for Miami.

JoeJoeBrown
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM

I just think the stress of the job is overwhelming to him. He's got cash now and a propensity to have a poor reaction to stress.

jrdrylie
12-08-2010, 01:47 PM
It's not a big loss. He's an overrated coach. With the right QB (Tebow and Alex Smith) he can have great teams. Take that away and he is lost. He completely lacks the ability to alter his offense to suit his players. With the talent of Brantley and all the speed at the skill positions, a Pro Style offense would have been great in Gainesville.

MassNole
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
It's not a big loss. He's an overrated coach. With the right QB (Tebow and Alex Smith) he can have great teams. Take that away and he is lost. He completely lacks the ability to alter his offense to suit his players. With the talent of Brantley and all the speed at the skill positions, a Pro Style offense would have been great in Gainesville.
I don't know if that is a fair assessment, he did win a MNC with Chris Leak as his starting QB and Tebow in only for spot duty or goal line plays. That Gator team wasn't exactly built for his Spread offense. Then again, I think we're seeing Dan Mullen was the real genius there not Meyer.

49erNation85
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
jrdrylie , I have so agree . I was kind of bummed when they brought the spread back for Brantley.That is just not his style of playing.But I'm sure it would have been hard to learn a whole playbook for the others on the offense.Maybe next year.But I hear Brantley might transfer ?

soybean
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM

well... he won a BCS title with Chris Leak as his starting qb...

MassNole
12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
If Brantley is graduating (or has done so) he could freely transfer and likely get a waiver to even go FBS next season (like Masoli). That was just an awful fit for his skill set, if he went to a pro style offense with a QB guru he could really inflate his stock next season, even a year at Delaware could help a lot. If it's true Mullen is coming in then I think it's safe to say Burton, Reed, or even freshman Jeff Driskel would likely be the starter, so no sense for Brantley to stick around.

Between going to Florida and having committed to Texas at one point it is sad this kid didn't accurately look at his skills and select a better college for his skills.

soybean
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll... both left after their team had craptastic years.

jrdrylie
12-08-2010, 01:57 PM
But Tim Tebow played a huge part of it. They don't win without Tebow (or an absolutely amazing defense).

And yes, I hear Brantley is going to transfer. But if they bring in a Pro Style offense, Brantley may stay and Burton might be the guy who heads out the door. Burton could go to an FCS school and still have three years of eligibility left. Brantley would have to go to an FBS school.

MassNole
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
But Tim Tebow played a huge part of it. They don't win without Tebow (or an absolutely amazing defense).

And yes, I hear Brantley is going to transfer. But if they bring in a Pro Style offense, Brantley may stay and Burton might be the guy who heads out the door. Burton could go to an FCS school and still have three years of eligibility left. Brantley would have to go to an FBS school.
Well you bring up another good point for Florida's demise this season, he lost not only his offensive genius in Dan Mullen but his defensive genius in Charlie Strong along with the perfect player for his offense.

MassNole
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Urban Meyer and Pete Carroll... both left after their team had craptastic years.
Completely different circumstances, Carroll left for an NFL position as USC was about to be made the NCAA's ***** in sanctions. Whereas Meyer is leaving just because he can't hack it, or as FSU fans will always believe because he was afraid of becoming second banana to Jimbo Fisher.

Don Vito
12-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Hello Dan Mullen nice to see you back around Gainesville.

Hurricanes25
12-08-2010, 02:02 PM
It's not health related. He wants to spend more time with his family.

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Dan Mullen? Gus Malzahn maybe? Those names scare me more offensively than UM at this point.

I hope they promote from within.

ElectricEye
12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Hello Dan Mullen nice to see you back around Gainesville.

If Florida wants it, it's happening I think. Know Mullen likes MSU a lot, but that's a great fit for him.

What happens to Meyer? Done with coaching? hard to see at 46. Belichick would probably love to have him hang around the Patriots in some capacity, even if it's a formality type deal.

jrdrylie
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
If Florida wants it, it's happening I think. Know Mullen likes MSU a lot, but that's a great fit for him.

What happens to Meyer? Done with coaching? hard to see at 46. Belichick would probably love to have him hang around the Patriots in some capacity, even if it's a formality type deal.

Mullen was high on Miami's list but if Florida comes calling, he has to take it. Better facilities, more money, more recent success, and easier academic standards.

thebow305
12-08-2010, 02:17 PM
It's official now.

Urban is a coward.

Agreed. Sorry loser.

703SKINS202
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
This helps my Kelvin Benjamin dreams at least.

BigJohn98
12-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Benjamin is going to FSU

703SKINS202
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Benjamin is going to FSU
I said dreams. I'd be happy to just get Davonte Allen.

MassNole
12-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Benjamin is going to FSU
This development should have clinched that, along with A.C. Leonard to Bama.

Dagagad
12-08-2010, 03:24 PM

The spread works just fine in other incarnations at other schools without stellar QBs. If he had of stayed a new o co ordinator is what he needed..not a new playbook.

Florida should hire Mullen.

Installing a pro style offense would have been a crappy idea. We see how that worked in Texas. Brantley should never have been recruited.

P-L
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Florida should hire Mullen.
Yes, and they should do it before the 1st of the year.

yourfavestoner
12-08-2010, 03:37 PM
http://product.images.dreamsretail.com/33-66/33-66001-P.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mU8nBExndPE/Sj6JTwGoSwI/AAAAAAAADDo/yD9ZSY4aImA/s320/Florida+Urban+Meyer+has+a+trophy.jpg

Haters. Gon'. Hate.

diabsoule
12-08-2010, 03:50 PM
My prediction for the next coach of Florida: Dan Mullen. He leaves Mississippi State and Gus Malzahn takes over. If Mullen decides to stay at state then I think Malzahn is next on the list, or should be at least.

Complex
12-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Tebow did not make Meyers a great coach, Brently(sp?) was not a spread option QB. Meyers should take his time so Miami can get Mullen...

bearsfan_51
12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Is anyone other than Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong even considered?

Complex
12-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Steve Spurrier

diabsoule
12-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Those two are at the top of the list. Personally, I think Mullen has this job in the bag and you would see Malzahn go to Mississippi State.

TitanHope
12-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Hopefully the university doesn't pressure him into coming back for another reluctant season this time.

Urban is a coward.

That's a pretty baseless, subjective accusation.

CashmoneyDrew
12-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Steve Spurrier

So they can have a head coach for one year before they have to look again?

bearsfan_51
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Actually, I could see Jim Harbaugh or Chris Petersen getting a call too. It's easy to think that Florida would hire an ex-Florida guy, but who knows.

49erNation85
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Do any of you think you see the staff going after a more better pro style offense this time around in a coach ? I really hope they do more and recruit better not get so bad of a rep when players head into the NFL . Example Tebow horrible motion .Yes that is coming from a Tebow fan. Or perhaps throw in more balanced type drop back and taken snaps from the center more etc? What does Mullen run or any of the other Coaches ? What you all think here ?

draftguru151
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
UF's AD said the search would take 2-2.5 weeks, I think Mullen gets the job though.

bearsfan_51
12-08-2010, 06:09 PM
That's an oddly-specific time-frame.

TitanHope
12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Do any of you think you see the staff going after a more better pro style offense this time around in a coach ? I really hope they do more and recruit better not get so bad of a rep when players head into the NFL . Example Tebow horrible motion .Yes that is coming from a Tebow fan. Or perhaps throw in more balanced type drop back and taken snaps from the center more etc? What does Mullen run or any of the other Coaches ? What you all think here ?

Meyer put players into the NFL year after year. The Gators are #3 in terms of 1st Round draft picks in his tenure, only behind Ohio St. and USC.

The only issue is at QB, but Tebow still went in the 1st RD. And teams aren't avoiding the position players or OL, and lots of them are having success in the NFL (Harvin, Murphy, Hernandez, Pouncey, etc.).

They could go for a Pro Style guy, but I don't think it'll weigh that much. The AD's job is to get a guy who'll win, not to get a guy who will get guys to the NFL. His job doesn't rely on the player's success but on the coach's.

SickwithIt1010
12-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Actually, I could see Jim Harbaugh or Chris Peterson getting a call too. It's easy to think that Florida would hire an ex-Florida guy, but who knows.

Really dont see either of those guys leaving for this job, way to big of a rebuilding effort. Both these guys run pro style offenses. BSU is more of an up tempo style but is still pro style, and Florida doesnt have the pieces for that right now other than Brantly.

Mullen or Malzahn would be the best fits, due to the fact their offenses are the most similar to Urbans, and fir the personel much better.

I see Mullen taking the job and Malzahn going to Miami.

Then Rich Rod to MSU haha

diabsoule
12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Really dont see either of those guys leaving for this job, way to big of a rebuilding effort. Both these guys run pro style offenses. BSU is more of an up tempo style but is still pro style, and Florida doesnt have the pieces for that right now other than Brantly.

Mullen or Malzahn would be the best fits, due to the fact their offenses are the most similar to Urbans, and fir the personel much better.

I see Mullen taking the job and Malzahn going to Miami.

Then Rich Rod to MSU haha

I agree about Mullen and Malzahn. If Mullen gets the job then Malzahn goes to Mississippi State, Rich Rod to Pittsburgh, and Mike Leach to Miami.

draftguru151
12-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Miami isn't interested in Leach or Malzahn.

Also UF has a QB coming in with a ton of passing potential so them transitioning to a pro style offense wouldn't be hard at all (year of Brantley then Driskell takes over). Don't expect any drastic changes offensively though.

SickwithIt1010
12-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree about Mullen and Malzahn. If Mullen gets the job then Malzahn goes to Mississippi State, Rich Rod to Pittsburgh, and Mike Leach to Miami.

I just do not see Leach going to Miami at all, thats why i said Malzahn to UM.

I think its a lock for Mullen tho....it seems to obvious.

Brent
12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Urban Meyer, what can be done?

I just want to know where Leech is going to coach. I hope it's UNT, they need some ******* life up in Denton.

SickwithIt1010
12-08-2010, 07:50 PM

I just want to know where Leech is going to coach. I hope it's UNT, they need some ******* life up in Denton.

Yeah, i have a feeling the he's not going to get as good of a job as everyone is thinking.

diabsoule
12-08-2010, 08:04 PM

UNT has already hired their coach. Florida assistant coach Dan McCarney was announced as the Mean Green's next head coach a few weeks ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5856208

49erNation85
12-08-2010, 08:21 PM
TitanHope,
I do agree with you on a coach that needs UF winning again.But again it would kind of nice / change to get a different style of offense and see if they can put more passing numbers up and running etc .Kind of almost giving us fans new light into next season or scare to see what a new HC can really do in off season . I my self can't already wait .

LizardState
12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Who's kidding who here? It's going to be Mullen's job to take or turn down. If it isn't there is no justice in college FB. Donside is that Mississippi St. remains an also-ran team in the SEC West.........

Some Q&A:

Q: Was Meyer in over his head in Alligator Alley?
A: Yes, as a matter of fact he was. From Utah to the SEC leader & NC contender is a big leap for anybody.

Q: Did his "heart attack" this month a yr ago play a big p/o this?
A: Betcher ass it did. Cardiac pain of that magnitude can & will scare the **** out of you & make you reconsider all manner of things, like your high stress job.

Q: Where's his next job?
A: HC of Denver Broncos, a job that opened up Monday of this wk. He's right at home in Rockies..........
Q (a): Can he win there?
A (b): Yes but it requires patience. They need a playmaker receiver, some DL help, & a btter QB but that's another thread.

JoeJoeBrown
12-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Are you guys insane???? Meyer got you two freaking NCs in 6 years. Howcould you call him mediocre or want a new coach??? Good lord you dorks are spoiled and delusional. It's very likely going to be a long time before you get an NC again.

SickwithIt1010
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Who's kidding who here? It's going to be Mullen's job to take or turn down. If it isn't there is no justice in college FB. Donside is that Mississippi St. remains an also-ran team in the SEC West.........

Some Q&A:

Q: Was Meyer in over his head in Alligator Alley?
A: Yes, as a matter of fact he was. From Utah to the SEC leader & NC contender is a big leap for anybody.

Q: Did his "heart attack" this month a yr ago play a big p/o this?
A: Betcher ass it did. Cardiac pain of that magnitude can & will scare the **** out of you & make you reconsider all manner of things, like your high stress job.

Q: Where's his next job?
A: HC of Denver Broncos, a job that opened up Monday of this wk. He's right at home in Rockies..........
Q (a): Can he win there?
A (b): Yes but it requires patience. They need a playmaker receiver, some DL help, & a btter QB but that's another thread.

Theres no way Urban is going to the NFL, his game doesnt correlate....and i think stress is a part of what is making him leave now, along with family issues.....why would he go to what is arguably a more stressful job?

MassNole
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Theres no way Urban is going to the NFL, his game doesnt correlate....and i think stress is a part of what is making him leave now, along with family issues.....why would he go to what is arguably a more stressful job?
For someone who is as diligent a recruiter as Meyer an NFL job could actually be less stressful.

SickwithIt1010
12-08-2010, 08:49 PM
For someone who is as diligent a recruiter as Meyer an NFL job could actually be less stressful.

Well, i still dont know how his scheme and what not would correlate to the NFL.

MassNole
12-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Well in Denver he has the perfect player to run his offense. No one thought it would work that well in the SEC and were wrong, but the difference is in the NFL you can't go get the top new talent every year and that scheme may not work so well where talent is near equal.

SickwithIt1010
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Well in Denver he has the perfect player to run his offense. No one thought it would work that well in the SEC and were wrong, but the difference is in the NFL you can't go get the top new talent every year and that scheme may not work so well where talent is near equal.

Im just under the impression that at Florida he had some of the fastest teams the college game has seen, the speed made his scheme that much scarier.

The speed of the defenses in the NFL offset that. These gimmicky offenses we see in college football wont work in the NFL. Thats why we dont see anyone running the option in the NFL, the speed is just too much.

ElectricEye
12-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Patriot utilize a whole lot of concepts from the Urban Meyer offense. None of the option stuff and some of the formations are different, but the concepts are there. Meyer to the NFL isn't as inconceivable as some think. Will it work? Who knows. But there's an outside chance.

keylime_5
12-08-2010, 09:46 PM
Im just under the impression that at Florida he had some of the fastest teams the college game has seen, the speed made his scheme that much scarier.

The speed of the defenses in the NFL offset that. These gimmicky offenses we see in college football wont work in the NFL. Thats why we dont see anyone running the option in the NFL, the speed is just too much.

totally agree. the spread in college is for offenses to spread out defenses and create a lot of openfield spaces to run in. In the NFL you can try to spread a defense out and still the gaps close immediately b/c of how fast the players are.

bearsfan_51
12-08-2010, 09:56 PM
His name is Mike Leach.

A leech is the thing that sucks your blood.

kthanksbye.

703SKINS202
12-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Wow, never even thought about RR to Pitt. I think this town would burn.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Why do you guys all assume that Brantley would look significantly better in a pro-style offense? He can't even throw a 5 yard pass accurately, regardless of system. He's terrible.

CashmoneyDrew
12-09-2010, 12:50 AM
His name is Mike Leach.

A leech is the thing that sucks your blood.

kthanksbye.

Had the good fortune of having to listen to him call a Tennessee game. He sucked the life out of me.

I think Leech is fine.

NotRickJames
12-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Tim Tebow carried Florida - that's why you saw the dropoff this year.

You'll see the same thing with Auburn once Newton leaves - back to mid-tier SEC team at best.

Tough luck for Meyer - I hope he comes back to coaching someday.

bearsfan_51
12-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Tim Tebow carried Florida - that's why you saw the dropoff this year.
1) Florida had some incredible defenses in those years.

2) Florida is always great.

I would also add that giving Malzahn a head coaching job the caliber of Florida or Miami would be a huge risk. This isn't the type of job where somebody can cut their chops, look at what happened to Shannon.

HindSight
12-09-2010, 10:07 AM
Wow, might as well call Jimbo Fisher the Floridian Coach Killer.

2 bitter rivals + 2 manhood stealing blowouts to FSU = Fisher the Coach Killer.
yeah......that's it.

SickwithIt1010
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Why do you guys all assume that Brantley would look significantly better in a pro-style offense? He can't even throw a 5 yard pass accurately, regardless of system. He's terrible.

He would do better in a pro style offense than he would in the system hes been in.

Brent
12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
UNT has already hired their coach. Florida assistant coach Dan McCarney was announced as the Mean Green's next head coach a few weeks ago.
this ought to speak to the irrelevancy of the UNT program as far as DFW is concerned

draftguru151
12-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Had the good fortune of having to listen to him call a Tennessee game. He sucked the life out of me.

I think Leech is fine.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how drunk was he? (hint: the correct answer is 10)

The Unseen
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I would prefer Mullen, but it's not like I'm the expert at this. I think Foley is going to make a good decision regardless.

The Unseen
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
It's official now.

Urban is a coward.

someone is a little butthurt

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
SWDC: Where 2 NCs in 5 years just doesn't cut it.

SickwithIt1010
12-09-2010, 04:53 PM

True statement right there, pretty ridiculous.

JoeJoeBrown
12-09-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah, it's plain idiocy.

diabsoule
12-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, it's plain idiocy.

Agreed. Meyer was a ******* phenomenal coach at Florida and I don't really know what else the fan base could expect out of him.

I know I haven't been happy with Les Miles as head coach of LSU because he frustrates the ever loving **** out of me with his bone-headed clock management skills and refusal to change his offensive coordinator when he isn't getting it done. On the other hand he has won a title, taken the team to a bowl game in each year of his tenure, has kept LSU out of trouble off-the-field, run a clean program, and consistently brings in top talent.

The fact is that fans of top tier programs and top SEC programs in particular are spoiled. I would even use a word stronger than spoiled if there was one. They expect to win titles every single year and if that doesn't happen then their disappointed. Would they have been happy if Urban Meyer was just a continuation of Ron Zook? You could poll any fan of any team in any conference and ask them if they would have taken Urban Meyer's success at their school and the answer more than likely would be a resounding "yes".

JoeJoeBrown
12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Agreed. Meyer was a ******* phenomenal coach at Florida and I don't really know what else the fan base could expect out of him.

I know I haven't been happy with Les Miles as head coach of LSU because he frustrates the ever loving **** out of me with his bone-headed clock management skills and refusal to change his offensive coordinator when he isn't getting it done. On the other hand he has won a title, taken the team to a bowl game in each year of his tenure, has kept LSU out of trouble off-the-field, run a clean program, and consistently brings in top talent.

The fact is that fans of top tier programs and top SEC programs in particular are spoiled. I would even use a word stronger than spoiled if there was one. They expect to win titles every single year and if that doesn't happen then their disappointed. Would they have been happy if Urban Meyer was just a continuation of Ron Zook? You could poll any fan of any team in any conference and ask them if they would have taken Urban Meyer's success at their school and the answer more than likely would be a resounding "yes".

Well put. The fans of top schools are insane when it comes to expectations. There simply are too many top quality teams to expect an NC every couple of years.

sbh15
12-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Looking more and more like UF will be hiring Chris Peterson. He'd pretty much be given the same situation Meyer was before he came from Utah, runs a spread (although one that much better fits our players), and apparently Foley and he interviewed sometime this week (Peterson was in FL for the awards).

I was worried about recruiting, but then again, who thought Meyer was gonna be the recruiter he became coming out of Utah. I think Peterson will attract a lot of big names because he gets so much credit with the job he did at Boise.

bearsfan_51
12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Well if he is going to be your coach, you should know that his last name is Petersen (I got it wrong too).

Can't really argue the hire, though.

JoeJoeBrown
12-10-2010, 10:04 AM
Looking more and more like UF will be hiring Chris Peterson. He'd pretty much be given the same situation Meyer was before he came from Utah, runs a spread (although one that much better fits our players), and apparently Foley and he interviewed sometime this week (Peterson was in FL for the awards).

I was worried about recruiting, but then again, who thought Meyer was gonna be the recruiter he became coming out of Utah. I think Peterson will attract a lot of big names because he gets so much credit with the job he did at Boise.

I'd still be a bit concerned. The other BSU coaches that were setting the world on fire there pretty much blew chunks once they left rinky dink land.

I do think Peterson is better than those guys, and will be given a crap ton of talent.

Also, he understands the importance of good defense, so that is a huge plus over a lot of these offensive gurus that fizzle out as head coaches.

Giantsfan1080
12-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Does this mean Boise State will be irrelevant again?

JoeJoeBrown
12-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Does this mean Boise State will be irrelevant again?

I doubt it. If he leaves they will likely promote someone already versed in their system. And they are still playing rinky dink teams, so that doesn't change.

sbh15
12-10-2010, 11:37 AM
FWIW, my insider says it's going to be Petrino or Stoops... nobody knows at this point, but something IS in the works.

JoeJoeBrown
12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
FWIW, my insider says it's going to be Petrino or Stoops... nobody knows at this point, but something IS in the works.

WTF would any major team want Petrino??!?!? Dear lord that guy is a dirtbag.

LizardState
12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Well put. The fans of top schools are insane when it comes to expectations. There simply are too many top quality teams to expect an NC every couple of years.

2nd that diabsoule's post was well put.

There are too many top tier college programs now who compete cut-throat viciously for the top talent, & there's a good reason why those same programs are always among the top-ranked recruiting classes yr after yr. That's also why you would think the successful college coaches who go to the NFL would also be successful there, but usually that's not true, it's the other way around that true (Saban, Carroll, well maybe not Weis).

You don't have to be a good recruiter in the NFL, where you have to play for the team that drafts you, unless your name is Manning or Elway :--)

jballa838
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
that's why we american football.

GatorsBullsFan
12-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Dan Mullen, Mississippi State: Many say Gators offense hasn't been the same since he left.

Kyle Whittingham, Utah: Has continued Urban Meyer's success in Salt Lake City.

Charlie Strong, Louisville: First-year head coach may not have enough experience.

Chris Petersen, Boise State: Lots of similarities between Meyer of 2004 and Petersen of today.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: There was talk last year that this former Gators DC might be ready to move on.

Gary Patterson, TCU: Name always comes up for BCS-conference openings.

Jon Gruden, Monday Night Football: Said no to Miami; is Florida preferable to an NFL gig?

Randy Edsall, Connecticut: Perennial big-school candidate spent four years with Jacksonville Jaguars.

Jim Harbaugh, Stanford: Maybe the hottest head coach in the country.

Bobby Petrino, Arkansas: Reportedly the second choice when Meyer was hired.

Kevin Sumlin, Houston: Jeremy Foley supposedly is impressed by this former Bob Stoops OC.

Larry Fedora, Southern Miss: Three seasons as Gators OC under Ron Zook.

Will Muschamp, Texas DC: Horns' head-coaching-in-waiting has SEC background at Georgia, LSU.

Brian Schottenheimer, New York Jets OC: Coaching up-and-comer was Danny Wuerffel's backup for 1996 title run.

Gene Chizik, Auburn: Could Florida native and Gators alum leave potential Cam Newton mess behind?

Chip Kelly, Oregon: Could he be in need of another challenge already?

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa: Well respected coaching mind doesn't feel like a great fit in razzle-dazzle SEC.

Kerwin Bell, Jacksonville: Former Gators QB's club led I-AA in scoring, total offense.

Mike Shanahan, Washington Redskins: Long-ago Gators OC is a good friend of Jeremy Foley's.

MassNole
12-10-2010, 02:30 PM
From the FSU perspective only a couple of those worry me and none of them are likely viable long term candidates (Muschamp and Harbaugh). I actually hope UF goes with Chris Peterson so FSU can just kill them in recruiting.

MizzouBig12
12-10-2010, 02:35 PM
From the FSU perspective only a couple of those worry me and none of them are likely viable long term candidates (Muschamp and Harbaugh). I actually hope UF goes with Chris Peterson so FSU can just kill them in recruiting. Interesting observation in regards to Peterson. He's done a pretty good job of recruiting talent to "backwater USA" up in Boise, so much so that the Broncos would most likely pound either Florida or FSU in a game.

MassNole
12-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Boise State would not pound FSU with a month to prepare with the current staff at FSU. Florida, yeah they likely would.

I am not going to flame or try an incite anything, but lets leave it with Chris Peterson's faith would be a big, big issue for many of the kids he'd be recruiting in Florida.

Don Vito
12-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Mullen seems like the most likely choice, if I was a betting man I'd say it's going to be denim Dan.

SickwithIt1010
12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Boise State would not pound FSU with a month to prepare with the current staff at FSU. Florida, yeah they likely would.

I am not going to flame or try an incite anything, but lets leave it with Chris Peterson's faith would be a big, big issue for many of the kids he'd be recruiting in Florida.

You can say that Chris Peterson does what he does without getting the recruits that all the big programs did, he he were to continue the way he coaches with elite recruits that he would be able to get at Florida? It would be scary....

Dont see Peterson leaving though.

proshoota25
12-10-2010, 02:54 PM
many people are speculating the gators are looking outside the urban meyer tree, that means you could cross of willinghan-mullen-strong. some say that bob stoops and peterson are the favorite as of right now. personally, id like to see strong get the job, but its not looking like it right now

SickwithIt1010
12-10-2010, 02:55 PM
I doubt it. If he leaves they will likely promote someone already versed in their system. And they are still playing rinky dink teams, so that doesn't change.

Chris Petersen's first year was the year they shocked OU....that coaching change didnt set them back.

Petersen isnt goin to UF.

JoeJoeBrown
12-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Chris Petersen's first year was the year they shocked OU....that coaching change didnt set them back.

Petersen isnt goin to UF.

Props on completely missing the point.

shylo3716
12-10-2010, 03:45 PM
How many recruits will they lose and players to the draft now?

GatorsBullsFan
12-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I like Charlie Strong or Dan Mullen...those are the guys we need

ElectricEye
12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't worry a whole lot about recruiting. The Florida brand does most of the work. You just have to be a willing recruiter, not necessarily a great one there.

shylo3716
12-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Steve Spurrier a call

bearsfan_51
12-10-2010, 04:11 PM
How many recruits will they lose and players to the draft now?
It's a worthy question, but surprisingly I'm not sure how many Junior prospects Florida really has. Consider that they just went 7-5, so nobody looks particularly great.

Janoris Jenkins should declare, but that was the case before Urban retired too.

Will Hill could declare, probably a 2-4 round guy right now.

Not a Florida fan, but besides that I can't think of anyone who wouldn't be taking a huge risk in declaring.

ironman4579
12-10-2010, 04:12 PM
You can say that Chris Peterson does what he does without getting the recruits that all the big programs did, he he were to continue the way he coaches with elite recruits that he would be able to get at Florida? It would be scary....

Dont see Peterson leaving though.

People said the same thing about Rich Rodriguez, yet he still recruits the same kids at Michigan he did at WVU. I'm not saying Peterson isn't a great coach, but don't assume that he's automatically going to get or even go after elite recruits just because he moves up to a better job.

wonderbredd24
12-10-2010, 04:15 PM
People said the same thing about Rich Rodriguez, yet he still recruits the same kids at Michigan he did at WVU. I'm not saying Peterson isn't a great coach, but don't assume that he's automatically going to get or even go after elite recruits just because he moves up to a better job.
Peterson is brilliant. Rodriguez is not and was not even at West Virginia.

West Virginia never played much defense. Boise State's defense this year was arguably better than its offense.

Peterson will dominate wherever he goes. He is just a fantastic coach.

wonderbredd24
12-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I like Charlie Strong or Dan Mullen...those are the guys we need
I'm a big fan of Dan Mullen, but he seems pretty happy in Starkville. That could definitely change, but that is the vibe coming from him right now.

ironman4579
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Peterson is brilliant. Rodriguez is not and was not even at West Virginia.

West Virginia never played much defense. Boise State's defense this year was arguably better than its offense.

Peterson will dominate wherever he goes. He is just a fantastic coach.

I'm not arguing that Rodriguez was ever a genius. I hated the hire when it happened. I'm just saying people shouldn't assume that when a guy steps up to a better job that he automatically recruits like he should.

yourfavestoner
12-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Like BF said, Janoris is probably gone, and that was the case with or without Meyer.

Like I said in the Hill thread, he could declare if he sees less playing time in his future. It's a possibility, because he was completely invisible this year. He'd be drafted 100% on potential, because he showed absolutely nothing in an expanded role this year.

I think Demps is a lock to declare. His biggest issue is size and staying for another year isn't going to make him any bigger. Rainey's a maybe because of his off-field concerns. He might want to rehab his image for a year and try to stay healthy.

sbh15
12-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Now it looks more likely to be Stoops, and he apparently skipped his evening presser. A lot of rumors, I'm not sure how many are true.

SickwithIt1010
12-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Props on completely missing the point.

i didnt mean to quote your message, i wanted to quote Giantsfan....

my bad bro....jesus

JoeJoeBrown
12-10-2010, 08:32 PM
i didnt mean to quote your message, i wanted to quote Giantsfan....

my bad bro....jesus

Words mean things.

sbh15
12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Stoops is all but done to UF from what I can tell.

JoeJoeBrown
12-11-2010, 12:47 AM

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/285997540_3e36dbce91.jpg

sbh15
12-11-2010, 12:49 AM
And the source providing me this info... says Stoops will receive the largest college head coaching contract ever. And it will be over the duration of 10 years. This sounds almost too rediculous, though.

But no sarcasm on the Stoops part. He should be Florida's HC soon. If he's not by Tuesday, enter Petersen.

TitanHope
12-11-2010, 12:57 AM
And the source providing me this info... says Stoops will receive the largest college head coaching contract ever. And it will be over the duration of 10 years. This sounds almost too rediculous, though.

But no sarcasm on the Stoops part. He should be Florida's HC soon. If he's not by Tuesday, enter Petersen.

Do you actually have a personal source, or is this a fancy way of saying, "the forum I'm lifting this from is saying..."?

sbh15
12-11-2010, 01:10 AM
Do you actually have a personal source, or is this a fancy way of saying, "the forum I'm lifting this from is saying..."?

Somewhat both... it's a private insider forum of about 25 people, I don't want to really reveal sources for their sakes, but there's at least 2 Bull Gators and 2 guys inside the program. And apparently Trey Burton is supposed to get an account. I'm not sure how much of what they say is true, but the information is hardly ever wrong at the time it's given and the guys are consistent.

So they're not MY sources, but they're sources that I and few others have access to.

TitanHope
12-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Somewhat both... it's a private insider forum of about 25 people, I don't want to really reveal sources for their sakes, but there's at least 2 Bull Gators and 2 guys inside the program. And apparently Trey Burton is supposed to get an account. I'm not sure how much of what they say is true, but the information is hardly ever wrong at the time it's given and the guys are consistent.

So they're not MY sources, but they're sources that I and few others have access to.

Righteous.

What's a Bull Gator? Like, Joakim Noah?

yourfavestoner
12-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Righteous.

What's a Bull Gator? Like, Joakim Noah?

I think they're the influential boosters.

TitanHope
12-11-2010, 01:28 AM
I think they're the influential boosters.

That definitely makes more sense than Joakim Noah. :D

sbh15
12-11-2010, 01:32 AM
That definitely makes more sense than Joakim Noah. :D

Joakim Noah was a Gator though... and looks like a bull. Or maybe just the Rancor.

TitanHope
12-11-2010, 01:35 AM
Joakim Noah was a Gator though... and looks like a bull. Or maybe just the Rancor.

Haha, it had more to do with him now playing for the Chicago Bulls than him looking like one...

12-11-2010, 02:41 AM
Tim Tebow.

49erNation85
12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
With any of these new coaches coming in next season .DO we see an over haul of the offense playbook at all ?

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/college/gators/os-florida-bob-stoops-1212-20101211,0,1194427.story

Bob Stoops says it isnt true....

...never know though.

CashmoneyDrew
12-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Pretty sure Lane Kiffin said he wasn't interested in the USC job when it came open last year as well.

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Pretty sure Lane Kiffin said he wasn't interested in the USC job when it came open last year as well.

Yeah i never said it was true or not, however i just saw this.

When the World contacted Stoops via text, asking him to respond to the report, he replied in a text: “Not true, whatsoever.” “I’m out recruiting as we text.”

According to the report, Stoops is negotiating with athletic director Jeremy Foley and the Gators administration, with former quarterback Kerwin Bell possibly becoming the team’s offensive coordinator.

They think he is in Gainsville....so who knows.

CashmoneyDrew
12-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Yeah. He's probably just covering so his OK recruiting class doesn't get screwed up if it falls through.

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Yeah. He's probably just covering so his OK recruiting class doesn't get screwed up if it falls through.

My roommate and I are just sitting here talking about why in the **** would stoops leave?

Like i dont get things like this. He has been at OU for what? 10 years? He is one of the most successful coaches in the country at one of the most prestigious jobs in the country. He has built the program how he wants it, it has a great rep....why would he leave to start over?

CashmoneyDrew
12-11-2010, 04:22 PM
New challenge. More money. Try the SEC. Easier recruiting.

Just a few guesses.

JHL6719
12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
New challenge. More money. Try the SEC. Easier recruiting.

Just a few guesses.

Not to mention more stability conference wise. The Big-12 is always on a slippery slope.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure it's easier to recruit to Florida than it is Oklahoma. Oklahoma is Texas' second school, and there's more football talent in Texas than there is in Florida. Maybe there's a slight difference, but not enough to really matter.

Florida is not a better job than Oklahoma. Not saying it's worse, but it's not better. I don't particularly understand why Stoops would leave either, unless he has a bad relationship with the AD.

Conference argument makes some sense, but every conference would accept Oklahoma with open arms.

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm not sure it's easier to recruit to Florida than it is Oklahoma. Oklahoma is Texas' second school, and there's more football talent in Texas than there is in Florida. Maybe there's a slight difference, but not enough to really matter.

Florida is not a better job than Oklahoma. Not saying it's worse, but it's not better. I don't particularly understand why Stoops would leave either, unless he has a bad relationship with the AD.

Conference argument makes some sense, but every conference would accept Oklahoma with open arms.

If this thing goes through, ive decided that Patterson would be the perfect fit at TCU...

....still think its a long shot though.

JoeJoeBrown
12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
My roommate and I are just sitting here talking about why in the **** would stoops leave?

Like i dont get things like this. He has been at OU for what? 10 years? He is one of the most successful coaches in the country at one of the most prestigious jobs in the country. He has built the program how he wants it, it has a great rep....why would he leave to start over?

Except for his BCS bowl record he is a good coach...

SchizophrenicBatman
12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
It's Will Muschamp!

bored of education
12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
******* Florida gets Muschamp. lolzz I hope they go 3-9 next year!

CashmoneyDrew
12-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Wooooooooooooooooooooow.........

This is completely out of left field. Muschamp had the Texas job coming to him in a couple years at worst. This doesn't make any sense.

49erNation85
12-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I just saw on ESPN while watching the Trophy deal.It is Muchamp . So what does this do for FLorida and its spread offense ?

gator3guy
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM
well that's disappointing...

bearsfan_51
12-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Yikes Florida. You're a premier coaching spot and you give it to someone with no head coaching experience at all?

I guess it worked for Jimbo Fisher.

proshoota25
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
this is one of the best assistants in the country, along with a guy who is real young...... hes going to be very appealing to play for in terms of recruits wanting to play at florida. i think its a great hire and im a huge florida fan. the spread might go but that defense will always be pretty good...

proshoota25
12-11-2010, 07:42 PM
it makes plenty of sense for muschamp. he hasnt left for other jobs...... so why would he leave texas for florida? the allure of being a top coach in the SEC..... just as good fertile grounds for recruiting, and its right there with texas as a top job in the country.

MetSox17
12-11-2010, 07:46 PM
So, i just died a little more inside.

49erNation85
12-11-2010, 07:51 PM
this is one of the best assistants in the country, along with a guy who is real young...... hes going to be very appealing to play for in terms of recruits wanting to play at florida. i think its a great hire and im a huge florida fan. the spread might go but that defense will always be pretty good...

I could live with the spread leaving.IMO we need to re amp the offensive and try to get more passing ypg .Also not to let the NFL rip on our QB s any more.I think if Tebow did well in a pro style he would have been a top ten pick.So things are looking up .

proshoota25
12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
also key factors in this hiring is that muschamp does have a little NFL background, along with SEC roots. those, combined with him being young and fiery, along with being a great recruiter, make him a very good choice for UF

keylime_5
12-11-2010, 07:54 PM
i'm sick of the spread anyhow. the more top tier teams that ditch the read option the better. there's reason the pro teams run a pro style offense, and it's so much more fun to watch anyhow. i think muschamp will do well in florida, it's not like he's not gonna have a ton of awesome recruits in his backyard or anything.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Texas should fire Mack Brown and hire Gary Patterson. Like, now.

Dagagad
12-11-2010, 08:09 PM
This is a risky hire. He has no head coaching experience. He obviously will be a good recruiter and should field a good D. Dan Mullen would have been the home run hire.

Pro style bores the living hell out of me but that is neither here nor there. I can't understand how anyone can find i form run, i form run, pass more exciting than malzahns or Kelly's offenses. Anyway look at Texas for what happens when teams suddenly switch back to power running. Having a running QB can mask alot of problems and leads to more wins..everything else being equal.

I do quite like BSU's pro style offense. It is sophisticated but learnable for college kids. Here is a great article on it.

http://smartfootball.com/page/2

Dagagad
12-11-2010, 08:11 PM
the more top tier teams that ditch the read option the better. there's reason the pro teams run a pro style offense, a.

The reason why pro teams run the pro style offense is not applicable to college teams. In fact in college, the simpler the better in terms of efficiency. The fact that the pros do it is a reason not to do it in college.

Also the best nfl coaches have been using spread elements in the passing game for years now. Belichek is a great example.

keylime_5
12-11-2010, 08:13 PM
USC's runs a pro style. There's plenty of NFL teams that are pass heavy teams that are very exciting to watch. The Colts with Harrison, Wayne, and Manning was probably the most exciting pro offense in a while. I'll take that anyday over a bunch of dinky short passes, bubble screens, and QB misdirection runs.

keylime_5
12-11-2010, 08:15 PM
The reason why pro teams run the pro style offense is not applicable to college teams. In fact in college, the simpler the better in terms of efficiency. The fact that the pros do it is a reason not to do it in college.

Also the best nfl coaches have been using spread elements in the passing game for years now. Belichek is a great example.

the passing spread is one thing. Oklahoma's offense is a lot better than say Florida's or Oregon's where it's basically a high school offense being ran by good college players. Spread the defense out and make them miss tackles. There's nothing more beautiful than a classic dropback passing game with lots of play action and downfield throws. it's so much more fun to watch fullbacks crush linebackers coming out of the I-formation as a lead blocker.

Chucky
12-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Bah....I wanted Muschamp to take over for Auburn once Tuberville was gone. Was so pissed when we couldn't get him and hired Chizik(worked out though). Muschamp ran one hell of a defence at Auburn.

dannyz
12-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Texas losses it OC and DC wow.

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 09:03 PM
I personally think this is a GREAT hire, i think this guy is going to be the next big HC, and i think he was sick of waiting at UT....as well he should be. Its his time to shine, he got the right offer and he took it.

yourfavestoner
12-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bearsfan_51
12-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Based on what exactly? He's never coached a game in his life.

He could be a great hire, but there's really nothing to base that on.

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Based on what exactly? He's never coached a game in his life.

He could be a great hire, but there's really nothing to base that on.

I dont get how anyone wouldnt want him to be their HC....he was going to have no experience when he became the HC at UT, but they werent worried about it. The guy is a proven recruiter, he is going to bring in great talent and hes going to be a great motivator.

bearsfan_51
12-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey that's great, but can he coach? Can he run a program? Who couldn't recruit at Florida?

Also, I don't agree with the "head coach in waiting" system that Texas was running either, but at least in that case he had years within the system to see how things worked. It's still no guarantee that he'd be able to do it himself, however.

Just seems unnecessarily risky. You're Florida, you don't need to be the place a 39 year old gets his wings.

It seems like big programs care more about recruiting than coaching ability anymore, how else can you explain Lane Kiffen at USC?

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Hey that's great, but can he coach? Can he run a program? Who couldn't recruit at Florida?

It seems like big programs care more about recruiting than coaching ability anymore, how else can you explain Lane Kiffen at USC?

1) Rich Rod has proven he cant recruit for **** at Michigan, so that proves right there that you need to be a proven recruiter, the school wont always do it for you.

2) Lane has been a part of the USC dynasty...he has been with Pete since day 1. When USC got Lane they knew they were also getting Monte, and Coach Orgeron....one of the best D coordinator and another recruiting ace. He had head coaching experience, and even though he wasnt the most successful, he had it and he knew the USC way. He knew the program, and he knew how to work it. Hes going to be fine, i like what ive heard, and anyone would struggle with the situation hes been given.

Brent
12-11-2010, 09:22 PM
how else can you explain Mac Brown still being UT's coach?

JoeJoeBrown
12-11-2010, 11:15 PM

Charlie Weis agrees with you.

MetSox17
12-11-2010, 11:44 PM
how else can you explain Mac Brown still being UT's coach?

Thiiiiiiisssss.

SickwithIt1010
12-11-2010, 11:54 PM
Charlie Weis agrees with you.

Except Charlie Weiss forgot about the defensive side of the ball....

...Muschamp will have that D on lock, and im sure he will get someone good for the offensive side of the ball.

MetSox17
12-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Rumors are he's taking the Okie St OC. Also rumors that he's taking Major Applewhite with him, and if he does, Texas is reamed, HARD.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Rumors are he's taking the Okie St OC. Also rumors that he's taking Major Applewhite with him, and if he does, Texas is reamed, HARD.

Ive also heard the Applewhite rumors which would hurt UT, ive heard nothing but good things.

bullg8rdaddy
12-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Please, oh please get Dana Hologorsen to come to UF!!!!!!!!!!!

Dagagad
12-12-2010, 12:39 AM
the passing spread is one thing. Oklahoma's offense is a lot better than say Florida's or Oregon's where it's basically a high school offense being ran by good college players. Spread the defense out and make them miss tackles. There's nothing more beautiful than a classic dropback passing game with lots of play action and downfield throws. it's so much more fun to watch fullbacks crush linebackers coming out of the I-formation as a lead blocker.

The fact that Oregon and auburn is in the champ game(and Florida won two titles) proves it is a good effective offense. I don't see how other offensive styles can be considered better in light of that. We can agree to disagree which one is nicer to watch however. i just hate the argument that if its in the pros it must be better. They are different entities.

Don Vito
12-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Great ******* hire. Wish it was Mullen to get him out of MS.

TitanHope
12-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I wanted Muschamp for the Vols, so I think this is a great hire for the Gators.

I take solace that no matter who they hired, it was a downgrade from Meyer. Hopefully no UF fan tries to spin how this will somehow improve the team, like they did with Brantley when Tebow graduated.

Brent
12-12-2010, 08:22 AM
like they did with Brantley when Tebow graduated.
I still don't understand why a pocket-passer like him would go to a ******* option offense.

keylime_5
12-12-2010, 08:58 AM
The fact that Oregon and auburn is in the champ game(and Florida won two titles) proves it is a good effective offense. I don't see how other offensive styles can be considered better in light of that. We can agree to disagree which one is nicer to watch however. i just hate the argument that if its in the pros it must be better. They are different entities.

i'm not saying it isn't effective. the pro style offense if more full proof and harder to stop even if the defense is loaded with fast guys who can tackle really well, though it is harder to perfect and your QB has to be smarter and a good passer not just a good runner, which is why the spread is so popular in college where great talent is harder to find. My whole point was the pro style system is more enjoyable, more beautiful to watch for me.

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Going to the spread vs pro-style debate. They don't run the straight spread in the NFL because defenses can defend east/west offenses much better than a college D. There isn't the sheer athletic advantage that many universities rely on for the spread to work.

The other negative to the spread/read option style of offense in the pros is that it will get your QB killed. Those are large fast men that intend to do harm.

You'll see spread like elements (lots of wide outs, occasional wildcat formations, rolling out the qb, etc), but for the most part, the biggest issue is that you need a QB to make a pre-snap decision on what the best play to run is. You can't have the entire offense looking over to the sideline like prairie dogs. The defense would decode that idiocy pretty quickly.

This modern version of the spread works in college simply because most defenses aren't sophisticated enough to stop it. The old school spread doesn't work so well due to defenses being a lot faster now (which is why a team like Wisconsin can dominate on offense because they will just overpower a quicker D).

Everything goes in cycles. A lot of this read option stuff is the old single wing offense but more sophisticated. Still a disciplined D can stop it. And most importantly, a D with a strong front line can definitely stop it.

P-L
12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Dana Holgorsen is the top candidate for the Pittsburgh job. I imagine that if it's offered to him, that's where he will end up.

sbh15
12-12-2010, 12:41 PM
So, although last time the source(s) I talk to were wrong (about Stoops as HC)... I hear that Holgerson as OC is very likely and there's a chance Kirby Smart makes a lateral move to UF as DC.

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
So, although last time the source(s) I talk to were wrong (about Stoops as HC)... I hear that Holgerson as OC is very likely and there's a chance Kirby Smart makes a lateral move to UF as DC.

I hope that you don't pay too much for your little group there.

TitanHope
12-12-2010, 12:54 PM

There is no way Smart would leave Bama in a lateral move. I can't wrap my head around that.

bullg8rdaddy
12-12-2010, 01:00 PM
Agree, Titan.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Why in the world would Smart leave to go to Florida? Hes got a pretty sick gig right now at Bama working with Saban and that is eventually going to get him some ca$h has a head coach somewhere.

Makes no sense to me, Muschamp seems like the type of guy who will call his own defense.

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 01:09 PM
There is no way Smart would leave Bama in a lateral move. I can't wrap my head around that.

Yes, this sounds like an exclusive messageboard where insiders fantasize like crazy.

sbh15
12-12-2010, 01:20 PM
"very likely" and "a chance". Neither of those are definitive phrases.

Learn to ******* read.

And for reference, Smart and Muschamp are really close friends.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 01:30 PM

Learn to ******* read.

Learn to ******* post something worth posting.

Stoops to UF? come on...

LizardState
12-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Both UGA grads, probably knew each other there.

No word on UGA firing Richt yet? Florida job pays beaucoups more $ though, they went for the glamor candidate.

Maybe Muschamp got tired of being mentioned in the Texas media every yr. as the obvious successor to Mack Brown who has the highest paying job in college FB. Only after this yr. his hold on that lucrative job became a lot more tenuous, retaining it will be a very political matter with the omnipotent UT Board of Regents, & Big Mack is nothing if not a master politico. Another yr like this one though & Brown will be out to pasture with no AD job awarded to assuage the embarrassment. Hoping they elevate Major Applewhite soon, he deserves the bump up.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Both UGA grads, probably knew each other there.

No word on UGA firing Richt yet? Florida job pays beaucoups more $ though, they went for the glamor candidate.

Maybe Muschamp got tired of being mentioned in the Texas media every yr. as the obvious successor to Mack Brown who has the highest paying job in college FB. Only after this yr. his hold on that lucrative job became a lot more tenuous, retaining it will be a very political matter with the omnipotent UT Board of Regents, & Big Mack is nothing if not a master politico. Another yr like this one though & Brown will be out to pasture with no AD job awarded to assuage the embarrassment. Hoping they elevate Major Applewhite soon, he deserves the bump up.

If texas doesnt do it soon, i could see Muschamp stealin him.

Now that Muschamp is off to UF, i could see Smart as the the likely choice to replace Richt.

TitanHope
12-12-2010, 02:56 PM

Learn to ******* read.

Um...

Now it looks more likely to be Stoops, and he apparently skipped his evening presser. A lot of rumors, I'm not sure how many are true.

None of that is definitive, but it was still wrong and misleading. You did everything but say, "Bob Stoops will absolutely be the next coach of the Florida Gators." All of your "insider" info has been wrong, so you have no right to get defensive when someone questions what you have to say or propose (regardless if this ends up coming true).

Oh yeah, about the "Learn to ******* read," gem. Despite your little copout terms like "likely" and "chance," you're still bringing up scenarios where these coaching changes would happen. Those scenarios are free game to be shot down or accepted, so your nondefinitive phrases are irrelevant. It's proposal/counter proposal the second you hint towards it, so why you'd make that comment as if you not only didn't understand that was the case but thought the rest of us didn't understand the context either makes you look defensive and butthurt. We know you weren't stating fact, but we're allowed to doubt and comment on the information anyway.

sbh15
12-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Um...

None of that is definitive, but it was still wrong and misleading. You did everything but say, "Bob Stoops will absolutely be the next coach of the Florida Gators." All of your "insider" info has been wrong, so you have no right to get defensive when someone questions what you have to say or propose (regardless if this ends up coming true).

Oh yeah, about the "Learn to ******* read," gem. Despite your little copout terms like "likely" and "chance," you're still bringing up scenarios where these coaching changes would happen. Those scenarios are free game to be shot down or accepted, so your nondefinitive phrases are irrelevant. It's proposal/counter proposal the second you hint towards it, so why you'd make that comment as if you not only didn't understand that was the case but thought the rest of us didn't understand the context either makes you look defensive and butthurt. We know you weren't stating fact, but we're allowed to doubt and comment on the information anyway.

Nothing I said was directed to you. Everything you commented was fine. I was referring to JoeJoeBrown seeming to take everything that I was posting and act like someone said it was fact. I was simply giving some updates. And btw, Stoops to UF not happening? Sure, that's cool, he didn't come. But if it weren't worth posting, why would several credible sources were reporting the same **** from their sources i.e. ESPN ran an article saying Stoops to UF was happening soon.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Nothing I said was directed to you. Everything you commented was fine. I was referring to JoeJoeBrown seeming to take everything that I was posting and act like someone said it was fact. I was simply giving some updates. And btw, Stoops to UF not happening? Sure, that's cool, he didn't come. But if it weren't worth posting, why would several credible sources were reporting the same **** from their sources i.e. ESPN ran an article saying Stoops to UF was happening soon.

Because its all the same ****, people get on a UF message board and people talk about dream candidates such as Stoops and then the rumors get started.

Stoops isnt leaving OU

TitanHope
12-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Yeah, JoeJoeBrown is a bit of a smartass.

But can you blame him? You talked up and down about how Stoops was the guy they were zoning in on and practically already had, and then hours later, Will Muschamp is hired. Then ya post about how they could hire two of the biggest named coordinators in college football. Someone was bound to take a shot at ya, but at least in this case he took a shot at this forum you're getting the info from.

And I don't blame ya at all for posting what you're hearing. I did the same when the Vols were in their coaching search that ended up being Dooley. But all kinds of news outlets were reporting different things, and a lot of guys ended up being wrong. The rush to be the first with the "BREAKING NEWS!" on their websites was laughable. My advice for when you post these updates is instead of saying, "I hear that Holgerson as OC is very likely and there's a chance Kirby Smart makes a lateral move to UF as DC," say "They're targeting Holgerson as OC and Kirby Smart as DC." That rubs people better. You'll be surprised how easily manipulated people can be by just changing a few words. ;)

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 03:42 PM

You are going off on me because I joked that I hope you don't pay too much for your "1337" Gator board? I never said anything else other than inferring that I think it's likely a bunch of masturbatory posting by some boosters.

I never said anything about taking everything you said as fact either. Take a chill, and just realize that your insider info is probably not that great. Boosters only have so much influence, and that's really in removing a coach, not hiring one.

proshoota25
12-12-2010, 04:27 PM
give the guy a break. multiple media outlets were reporting that stoops was gunna be the next coach. also, on espn rumors, it does say kirby smart may move to florida, so the guy is just reporting what he sees. nothing wrong with that

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 04:45 PM
give the guy a break. multiple media outlets were reporting that stoops was gunna be the next coach. also, on espn rumors, it does say kirby smart may move to florida, so the guy is just reporting what he sees. nothing wrong with that

Did I say there was anything wrong with it? Did I tell him not to post rumors? I actually thought it was interesting/good rumor stuff. I like reading stuff like that, I mean, I'm on a freaking football messageboard.

All that I did was joke that I hope he didn't pay too much for access to rumor mongering. And then he got way over defensive about it (guessing that the board may have cost some $$$).

I love how I'm getting crap from him for joking about his elite access and now crap from you for absolutely no reason as I am very gently busting HIS balls. Lighten up fellas.

Dagagad
12-12-2010, 05:41 PM
i'm not saying it isn't effective. the pro style offense if more full proof and harder to stop even if the defense is loaded with fast guys who can tackle really well, though it is harder to perfect and your QB has to be smarter and a good passer not just a good runner, which is why the spread is so popular in college where great talent is harder to find. My whole point was the pro style system is more enjoyable, more beautiful to watch for me.

Yea fair enough. In the college game I would lean more to the one that is easier to perfect and to recruit to. I always feel, that with two teams that recruit on the same level, the spread team will be better more years. But each to his own I suppose.

I prefer to watch spread systems and I love watching an option attack(like GT) but as I said...that's just my personal opinion.

sbh15
12-12-2010, 06:14 PM
I've read elsewhere that UF may have hired Applewhite.

My sources tell me that I honestly have no idea who Muschamp will hire.

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 06:43 PM

Applewhite fleeing Mack Brown would be awesome. I still can't believe he has gotten over how Mack treated him during the Chrissy Sims fiasco.

And for UF, I think he would do great.

TitanHope
12-12-2010, 06:48 PM

I read a rumor that 'Champ was bringing in the Longhorns DB Coach, who used to be the Co-Defensive Coordinator before 'Champ got there.

Also, can I get away with callin' him 'Champ? I do hope so.

sbh15
12-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Personally I don't want Applewhite, and it seems odd that Muschamp would go with a guy who's never proven himself as an offensive coordinator. I get the feeling that since he's kind of a risk, he won't risk hiring someone like Applewhite at OC. I'm not worried about his DC hire though, since Muschamp will just do the DC's job for him.

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 07:21 PM
Personally I don't want Applewhite, and it seems odd that Muschamp would go with a guy who's never proven himself as an offensive coordinator. I get the feeling that since he's kind of a risk, he won't risk hiring someone like Applewhite at OC. I'm not worried about his DC hire though, since Muschamp will just do the DC's job for him.

I thought that he was pretty good at Rice and Bama as OC.

Brent
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
it seems odd that Muschamp would go with a guy who's never proven himself as an offensive coordinator.
He was the Rice OC the only year that Rice went to a bowl game in 2006 and the Alabama OC in 2007.

sbh15
12-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Just because he's held jobs doesn't mean he's proven. Although never was the wrong word choice. I just mean I find it hard to believe his first choice is someone like Applewhite when he's going to be scrutinized for losses more than a really big name coach.

JoeJoeBrown
12-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Just because he's held jobs doesn't mean he's proven. Although never was the wrong word choice. I just mean I find it hard to believe his first choice is someone like Applewhite when he's going to be scrutinized for losses more than a really big name coach.

Agree that he is going to be under serious scrutiny since Muschamp is the one that has absolutely ZERO experience at his new position level.

The problem might be also that an inexperienced Muschamp might not want a very experienced/seasoned OC that could potentially rival his authority.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I read a rumor that 'Champ was bringing in the Longhorns DB Coach, who used to be the Co-Defensive Coordinator before 'Champ got there.

Also, can I get away with callin' him 'Champ? I do hope so.

Champ is catchy, i think itll fit.

SickwithIt1010
12-12-2010, 08:59 PM
So...is Muschamp allowed to recruit for Florida right now? or is he not allowed to do that until after the Bowl Game since Meyer will be the HC for that game? How does this work?

gator3guy
12-12-2010, 09:39 PM
So...is Muschamp allowed to recruit for Florida right now? or is he not allowed to do that until after the Bowl Game since Meyer will be the HC for that game? How does this work?

That's a good question. It's an odd situation. I guess when he signs the contract, no?

sbh15
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Muschamp is allowed to recruit up to the dead period, he's actively talking to our commits. Although maybe there's some sort of accepted loophole where he's doing it as Texas' DC for his position as UF HC.

Also, Louchiez Purifoy has been talked to. He said he's still committed and Muschamp told him that he'd (Muschamp) be his own defensive coordinator. This makes me wonder if he's saving money so UF can put a massive offer up for an offensive coordinator.

diabsoule
12-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I feel that Applewhite will be the next OC at Texas. He is already an assistant head coach and the running back coach, seems like a natural progression of things and Mack Brown would be able to promote within.

I question the hire of Muschamp. While he has proven to be a great defensive coordinator I don't think that's what Florida needed. The last time they hired a defensive minded head coach was Ron Zook and you see how that went. I felt that they should have gone in the direction of hiring someone with previous head coaching experience and if not that then at least hire someone with a background in the spread option offense. Gus Malzahn would have been a better first year head coach because of his familiarity with the type of offensive scheme Meyer's runs and it would be a seemless transition over in that aspect.

bullg8rdaddy
12-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Disagree on Malzahn being > head coaching candidate than 'champ.

Champ has wayyyyy more experience in the SEC and big boy football than Gus.

Champ has wayyyy more recruiting experience.

Dagagad
12-13-2010, 03:37 AM
Gus Malzahn is a fantastic offensive co-ordinator. Muschamp is a fantastic defensive co-ordinator and recruiter. I'm not sure if either will be great head coaches. Half the battle of being a good head coach is hiring good assistants and letting them have rein on their side of the ball. Muschamp's hire at OC will be telling.

JoeJoeBrown
12-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Gus Malzahn is a fantastic offensive co-ordinator. Muschamp is a fantastic defensive co-ordinator and recruiter. I'm not sure if either will be great head coaches. Half the battle of being a good head coach is hiring good assistants and letting them have rein on their side of the ball. Muschamp's hire at OC will be telling.

Agree with both you and BullGator. Muschamp has been around the SEC block at least. Malzahn is an offensive whiz, but is brand spanking new.

And it's always scary breaking in a new HC at an elite program. Lots of pressure, which doesn't make for much leeway in rookie mistakes.

LonghornsLegend
12-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Stoops is never gonna leave OU, and he tells people this every season but everyone starts a rumor because they want him but it never will happen. He's got one of the best jobs in the country already, anyplace else would just be a lateral move and OU can match the pay any other school can. Florida is nice but the path to an SEC championship is twice as hard as just you vs Texas for what is typically the BCS qualifier game.

Recruiting base is plentiful, always gets the top classes, he's not going to upgrade by going anywhere else and I'm not sure why people still consider it to happen. Now watch Jerry Jones try to interview him for the Cowboy job still.

I really don't want to lose Applewhite though, I wanted Will Muschamp to be our HC but knew he wouldn't wait around so I guess I don't understand the whole "coach in waiting" thing. If your not going to put a cap on it, amount of years to wait, a clause to not sign with another team, what's the point? Because it sounds nice?

I guess if you want to do it, there should be more structure to it then just a title.

Hollywood
12-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Stop ******* say 'my sources'. It's really annoying. Start saying 'my other message board I read'.

My sources tell me. smh.

John Stossel of Florida football over here.

JoeJoeBrown
12-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Stop ******* say 'my sources'. It's really annoying. Start saying 'my other message board I read'.

My sources tell me. smh.

Careful, you might hurt his feewings.

bullg8rdaddy
12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
LOL @ Hollywood. Totally agree.

sbh15
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM

My sources tell me. smh.

That was a joke. Please **** off.

bullg8rdaddy
12-13-2010, 02:45 PM
My bad, sbh.

SickwithIt1010
12-13-2010, 02:47 PM
That was a joke. Please **** off.

Let's be real here man, everyone knows you werent joking around when you said that...you think you have reliable sources, and they just didn't pan out this time...happens to everyone.

Don't get so butt hurt

bearsfan_51
12-13-2010, 02:56 PM
You've talked about your sources in a lot of posts. You must joke a lot.

sbh15
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm not butt hurt. Whatever you want to call the information I posted was wrong. I curse habitually, don't think I'm pissed because I'm cussing.

Anywho, several sources are reporting UF officially offered Smart the job and a few (less reputable) are reporting that he's accepted the job.
http://editorsdesk.blogs.gatorsports.com/10175/is-kirby-smart-coming-to-florida/

bullg8rdaddy
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM
Well, obviously we have a New Head Coach in Gainesville. He's coming into your colleges. He's snatching your coaches up. Trying to hire them, so ya'll need to hide your best recruiters. Hide your DCs. Hide your OCs. Cause they raping everyschool out here.

http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/08/antoine_dodson.large1.jpg
:)

nrk
12-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Let's be real here man, everyone knows you werent joking around when you said that...you think you have reliable sources, and they just didn't pan out this time...happens to everyone.

Don't get so butt hurt

He was probably only joking when he said

Stoops to Florida rumors had me constantly laughing. There was no reason for Stoops to leave at all for Florida.

diabsoule
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
A list of first year coaches in the SEC and how they have fared. Outside of Mark Richt and Dan Mullen there isn't much success. Doesn't bode well for Florida.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/17876/first-time-head-coaches-in-the-sec

descendency
12-13-2010, 05:01 PM
Stoops to Florida rumors had me constantly laughing. There was no reason for Stoops to leave at all for Florida.

More talented recruit base?

(yea, I went there)

JoeJoeBrown
12-13-2010, 05:16 PM
More talented recruit base?

(yea, I went there)

Texas is a pretty awlsum recruiting base.

bullg8rdaddy
12-13-2010, 09:02 PM
A list of first year coaches in the SEC and how they have fared. Outside of Mark Richt and Dan Mullen there isn't much success. Doesn't bode well for Florida.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/17876/first-time-head-coaches-in-the-sec

Man we are so fawked.

sbh15
12-14-2010, 09:42 AM
coordinators are supposed to be announced when muschamp is officially introduced as UF coach

bullg8rdaddy
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Press conference today @ 1830 EST, no?

bullg8rdaddy
12-14-2010, 10:58 AM
DUPE. 10 char

sbh15
12-14-2010, 06:45 PM
rumors that norm chow is being looked at for OC

EDIT: and joe schad (and some others) report that we'll be switching to a prostyle

SickwithIt1010
12-14-2010, 07:20 PM
rumors that norm chow is being looked at for OC

EDIT: and joe schad (and some others) report that we'll be switching to a prostyle

Chow would be scary in Gainsville.

diabsoule
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
You know who would be unbelievably scary in Gainesville? Mike Leach.

proshoota25
12-14-2010, 08:47 PM

thatd be cool just could never see it. I read somewhere they want an OC with NFL experience

Brent
12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Leach is looking for an HC gig. He'll wait till he can find one. If I were a mid-major in the market for a coach, he'd be ******* #1.

sbh15
12-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow, Muschamp was very convincing in that press conference. I love his style.

Also, the players and commits are really excited for WM. Looks like nobody will decommit or transfer (as a result of Meyer leaving/Muschamp hired) aside from those that have already announced.