PDA

View Full Version : Should we keep SRogers... at all costs?

TacticaLion
03-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I know how talented SRogers is... and how many negative comments I'll get for this thread... but I was thinking about this in the shower today. He's been injured as of late and doesn't seem to want to work as hard for Marinelli as Marinelli wants him to (unless I'm completely off on that one). He's a household name... but, if he has another "down" season, may slip in value.

If offered a 1st round draft pick for him, should we take it? This is just a thought... I have not heard this anywhere and do not have a link. We've got Redding and Cody (a pass-rushing DT), and could use the pick on a number of players. We could also draft a DT with one (or two) of our 5th round picks... to give us depth.

I dunno... just a thought. I think I'd rather trade him and have Marinelli draft more of his players... we could end up with an insane draft with 2 1st round picks and a trade down from #2.

Just some thoughts... let me know what you think.

WMD
03-20-2007, 10:28 PM
For the right offer, I'd trade Shaun Rogers.. I'd definately give him up for a Round 1 pick.. He seems to have an attitude problem.. For someone with his talent, he should be a leader and I'm not sure he's that.. I'd like to keep him, but not at all costs..

...why do you think about Shaun Rogers while you're in the shower?

Scotty D
03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
If Cody can prove to be an adequate player do it for a first rounder right away.

JoeMontainya
03-20-2007, 10:38 PM
I would give the Browns 2nd for him.

thule
03-20-2007, 10:41 PM
As a Cowboys fan I would give pick #22 straight up. That might be a bit step..but I would do it.

detroit4life
03-20-2007, 10:51 PM
i dont think I would he's had inuury issues and i wouldnt be shocked if he's way over wieght but i think Marinelli wants to keep him. In a tampa 2 u need a great dline and trading arguably one of the best DTs in the NFL (when healthy) doesnt help. I think Rod and Millen are drooling over a tandem of redding and rogers inside and will try to keep that if possible. At the same time i dont see a team offering a 1st round pick

P-L
03-21-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure how much value he has right now. At the end of last season Tony Ortiz reported that if a team offered the Lions an early 2nd Round pick for him, they would more than likely take it.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 04:36 AM
i dont think I would he's had inuury issues and i wouldnt be shocked if he's way over wieght but i think Marinelli wants to keep him. In a tampa 2 u need a great dline and trading arguably one of the best DTs in the NFL (when healthy) doesnt help. I think Rod and Millen are drooling over a tandem of redding and rogers inside and will try to keep that if possible. At the same time i dont see a team offering a 1st round pickA lot of good responses to this question.

We need a great DLine... true... but, if we can get a second 1st round pick, we can spend the first on Gaines Adams... which would give us Adams - Redding - Cody - White. With the pressure that Adams and Redding would create, Cody could excel.

I dunno... if he's overweight, injury-prone and doesn't seem to want to work hard, lets take the picks and fill other needs. Just how I feel.

Lions WMD: I have no idea... it just happens. And, no... it wasn't like that.

Xiomera
03-21-2007, 07:11 AM
I said we should trade him a while back. But not until his value goes up again.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-21-2007, 08:05 AM
6 Million dollar cap hit for trading Rogers. Not worth it, plus he is too good when he actually plays. We need a rotation at DT because Rogers gets tired. Plus their are injury concerns as we saw last year. Having two good DTs Rogers and Redding and one decent DT with potential in Cody is crucial for success in the Cover 2.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
6 Million dollar cap hit for trading Rogers. Not worth it, plus he is too good when he actually plays. We need a rotation at DT because Rogers gets tired. Plus their are injury concerns as we saw last year. Having two good DTs Rogers and Redding and one decent DT with potential in Cody is crucial for success in the Cover 2.We wouldn't be cutting him without reimbursement... we'd be receiving (at least) a 2nd round pick. Looking at the needs we have, and the players available in the draft, that pick could definately be well spent.

Having him injured on the bench (or sat because of his attitude) makes me want to trade him and draft a "Marinelli-guy" in his place.

Another bad year and he wont be worth much.

Addict
03-21-2007, 09:13 AM
A lot of good responses to this question.

We need a great DLine... true... but, if we can get a second 1st round pick, we can spend the first on Gaines Adams... which would give us Adams - Redding - Cody - White. With the pressure that Adams and Redding would create, Cody could excel.

I dunno... if he's overweight, injury-prone and doesn't seem to want to work hard, lets take the picks and fill other needs. Just how I feel.

Lions WMD: I have no idea... it just happens. And, no... it wasn't like that.

:D You could not control yourself hu?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-21-2007, 09:27 AM
We wouldn't be cutting him without reimbursement... we'd be receiving (at least) a 2nd round pick. Looking at the needs we have, and the players available in the draft, that pick could definately be well spent.

Having him injured on the bench (or sat because of his attitude) makes me want to trade him and draft a "Marinelli-guy" in his place.

We still have the cap hit if we trade him. It just creates another hole. Who is to say the DT we draft would be better than Rogers. Thats unlikely to think they would at least right away. Good DTs are crucial to opening things up for the linebackers to make plays. When Rogers was in there this year, we were great against the run. When Rogers left, teams could run and pass on us with ease. Plus Redding is only here for one year as of now unless we franchise him again or he signs long term.

Addict
03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
We wouldn't be cutting him without reimbursement... we'd be receiving (at least) a 2nd round pick. Looking at the needs we have, and the players available in the draft, that pick could definately be well spent.

I don't think cutting him now would be a good thing, it would just mean another big hole to fill, and this years DT class is good, but Rogers is one of the best at his position when healthy.

Besides, you're the guy who always says we need defensive help, so creating another hole wouldn't do us much good, maybe if we can get around to fixing DE, LB, S and CB holes this year and maybe some next year, we could start thinking about DT, it's the only position where we've got some REAL quality, so let's not mess with it for now.

ironman4579
03-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I think if Rogers is unwilling(or unable) to work, and you can get good value in return, you make that trade IMO. I like Rogers, but sometimes hard decisions need to be made. If he's not willing to get with Marinelli's program, then he's potentially hurting the team more than helping.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
I think if Rogers is unwilling(or unable) to work, and you can get good value in return, you make that trade IMO. I like Rogers, but sometimes hard decisions need to be made. If he's not willing to get with Marinelli's program, then he's potentially hurting the team more than helping.Exactly. Word for word.

You can say that we've got "great value" all you'd like, but, if he's on the bench, it isn't "great value". If we can trade a player like Rogers... who has weight issues and struggles with motivation... and can receive a high pick in return, why not do it?

Sure, when he's healthy, our defense is great. But, when he isn't, what good does he do us?

So, my bottom line: if the coaches think that he can play 16 games this year... and will work hard... I wouldn't even consider trading him. But, if he's going to spend the year on the bench, drop in value and not produce for us in the future, why not get value for him now?

Just thoughts. If he can, I'll keep him. If not, I'd want a trade.

detroit4life
03-21-2007, 11:19 AM
but i dont think you just give up on him because of an injury. We dont know whether he's over weight or not its speculation at this point and we also dont know whether he is unwilling to work hard for marinelli. I know he stayed in Texas rather then show up but if he's workin hard out in texas im fine with that. He is just like a lot of other players on this team he's sick of loosing if we can start winning he'll be back as a dominant player but as far as im concerned until we have no idea about the things we're talking about he got injured and thats fine but we need to see if he can come back and be the player we know he can be rather then just give up on him prematurely

Scotty D
03-21-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/weblog/

Shaun Rogers blows off the start of workouts
Shaun Rogers has decided to remain in Texas and continue his rehab from off-season shoulder and knee surgeries instead of doing the work at the team's Allen Park facility.

Voluntary off-season workouts started Monday and Rogers was one of the few veterans not to show up. The interesting twist to this, though, is that head coach Rod Marinelli isn't going to make a big deal out of it. Is Marinelli disappointed? Absolutely. But he also knows what he's dealing with and trying to get Rogers to buy into the program is much more crucial in August than March.

Marinelli said he's going to reach out to Rogers and find out what's going on, but don't look for Marinelli to apply any pressure. Marinelli is trying to build a program, team chemistry and winning environment that Rogers will want to join, not one he has to be dragged into.

Also, defensive end Cory Redding, the team's franchise player, is another no-show. He is still attending school in Texas and wasn't going to take part in the workouts whether he was signed or not.

detroit4life
03-21-2007, 05:23 PM
im not sure if this is as big of a deal that its being made out to be. Rogers is a texas guy and he likes it there if he's workin out there then im fine with him missing a optional thing

Scotty D
03-21-2007, 05:25 PM
im not sure if this is as big of a deal that its being made out to be. Rogers is a texas guy and he likes it there if he's workin out there then im fine with him missing a optional thing

I thought it was weird that Redding was attending school in Texas.

Scotty D
03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
In that Draft game in the Fantasy section I traded Shaun Rogers for Al Wilson.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 06:18 PM
In that Draft game in the Fantasy section I traded Shaun Rogers for Al Wilson.Hmmm...

Does Okoye become a focus in round 1 (now that we don't need Willis)? I'd love to trade Rogers, but also want Willis (and other needs).

Scotty D
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Hmmm...

Does Okoye become a focus in round 1 (now that we don't need Willis)? I'd love to trade Rogers, but also want Willis (and other needs).

I was actually hoping for Cory Redding and Cody to hold down the fort. But the Jury is still out on him. I'm looking at all options right now. I also traded Boss Bailey for Sean Considine, SS and a 6th rounder.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I was actually hoping for Cory Redding and Cody to hold down the fort. But the Jury is still out on him. I'm looking at all options right now. I also traded Boss Bailey for Sean Considine, SS and a 6th rounder.I think Redding and Cody would be fine... but Okoye will probably be dominant (and has a better attitude). I'm kinda tired of Boss Bailey's injuries, although I wish he was healthy. I don't know much about Considine... if he can start at FS and move Bullocks to SS, I'd be happy.

asmitty45
03-21-2007, 06:43 PM
any pick in the first round and its a done deal for me, id love to see if we could pry both those firsts from NE if we throw in a second. Probably not gonna happen but id love it.

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
any pick in the first round and its a done deal for me, id love to see if we could pry both those firsts from NE if we throw in a second. Probably not gonna happen but id love it.I agree completely... and I think a team would be willing to do it.

Even if we traded SRogers for a 1st, traded down from #2 and drafted Okoye, then traded up (depending on where we were in the 1st round) and drafted Willis... that would be outstanding. Okoye is a young, focused hard worker that would be a HUGE upset (mentally) over SRogers.

Or, draft LaRon Landry and PWillis.

Either way, I'd love to trade him... I really would. It wont happen, though.

dreadedluck
03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
DUMP HIM he has always been a loser. From the dumbest late hit penalties to his "taking the defense over" and his unwillingness to listen to reason, the guy is a waste. Im not saying he doesnt have talent, cause that would be illogical but its over for him in Detroit. I dont think Rogers will be going to Hawaii anytime in the ***, untraditional, Hono blue jersey. Loads of talent thou.