PDA

View Full Version : If Luck Doesn't Declare, Who Will Be the 1st QB Drafted?

NotRickJames
12-14-2010, 01:15 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Luck stays for his senior season. I'm pretty confident there. So if he doesn't declare, who will be the first QB drafted? Who SHOULD be the first QB drafted? Could Carolina reach for a QB with their number one selection?

Three guys that seem like strong possibilities are Locker, Mallet and Newton.

Shane P. Hallam
12-14-2010, 01:19 AM
I'd be willing to bet that Luck stays for his senior season. I'm pretty confident there. So if he doesn't declare, who will be the first QB drafted? Who SHOULD be the first QB drafted? Could Carolina reach for a QB with their number one selection?

Three guys that seem like strong possibilities are Locker, Mallet and Newton.

I don't think Carolina reaches with Clausen there if Luck stays. I'd bet on Mallett at this point, he'd likely end up neck and neck with Newton. Locker has an outside chance over the Bowl Game and Senior Bowl though.

TACKLE
12-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Cam Newton.

I think he'd be the favorite for the Carolina but AJ Green and Da'Quan Bowers would be more legitimate options than they are now.

NotRickJames
12-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Will be interesting to see who rises/falls at the combine.

I don't think they'll reach. You've got guys like Ponder and Enderle who'll be available in a later round. They'll draft somebody though - Clausen isn't getting much support from Carolina's newswriters. Plus once Fox is let go, you have to think the new coach is going to want to get "his guy."

12-14-2010, 01:28 AM
Again, Newton's being a project is going to come up. I don't think Carolina takes a QB other than Luck but as for QB if Luck stays, I think GMs will try and do everything in their power to elevate Mallett and Locker over Newton. Whether either one will hold him off, who knows but they'd have to flunk the offseason not to. Say what you want about Newton but its gonna take the right GM and coach to give him a shot. A patient pair willimg to develop him and go through years of ups and downs teaching him the NFL game. With good offseasons, and with Newton put under the microscope, my belief is Mallett/Locker a preference pick and interchageable at 1 or 2 and Newton the third QB.

RaiderNation
12-14-2010, 01:31 AM
I think the Panthers go WR or DL if no Luck. The first QB would decide on the team I guess. A team liek Buffalo will prefer Newton, or maybe some other teams will like Mallett

NotRickJames
12-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Yeah, they might go BPA with AJ Green even though I think they're good at receiver. Got Steve Smith and two nice young guys in Gettis and LaFell, just need a QB who can get them the ball. Jimmy Clausen won't be that guy, and this is coming from a Notre Dame fan.

12-14-2010, 01:35 AM
I think the Panthers go WR or DL if no Luck. The first QB would decide on the team I guess. A team liek Buffalo will prefer Newton, or maybe some other teams will like Mallett

Assume you're Buddy Nix, GM of the Bills. Would you like putting Cam Newton in against the defenses of the Pats, Jets and Miami twice a year, and in the AFC where he"ll see Pittsburgh and Baltimore regularly? He belongs in the NFC where the defenses aren't as sophisticated.

NotRickJames
12-14-2010, 01:39 AM
If the Panthers do take Newton, they'd need a stop-gap. I don't believe Newton will ever be a good NFL QB, but even his supporters should concede he can't start right away. Major project who needs to sit for at least a year.

12-14-2010, 01:45 AM
If the Panthers do take Newton, they'd need a stop-gap. I don't believe Newton will ever be a good NFL QB, but even his supporters should concede he can't start right away. Major project who needs to sit for at least a year.

The team that makes the most sense to me for Newton is Seattle. Keep Hasselbeck another year or 2..he's a good role model for a guy like Newton. And most important he's in a very manageable conference and division where the defenses are...less than imposing. And needless to say he won't have a very high-strung, high IQ head coach in Pete Carroll. Probably would enable him a bit but the AFC is a shark pit for young QBs.

TheMorningZoo
12-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Hard to say... I think it would be similar to the '06 Draft (Young, Leinart, Cutler). Depends on who is picking and who they feel fits their system. Back in '06 of course people thought hometown hero VY to the Texans, well when that didn't happen the debate occurred in Tennessee (Norm Chow brings in Leinart, or work with VY?). Cutler was a wildcard who I felt was the best QB and really had a shot at going a lot of places.

Anyways it is sort of similar w/o Luck, we have 3 prospects (Newton, Mallet and Locker) who can sort of relate. Locker is similar to Cutler in that he was a star on his team. Now when I say star you need to realize Locker is/was talented on a team that didn't have many weapons. Only difference between he and Cutler is that Cutler was THE star on Vandy, and actually fared real well in the toughest conference. Locker underachieved, but I think is similar (Pro style offense, mobile, strong arm, intangibles, crappy team, etc.) Mallet plays in a QB friendly system and is hard to read. That is where the " fits the teams plans " comes into play. Petrino QB's aren't known to make it in the NFL (Redman, LeFors, Brohm, one other I can't remember).. But people said the same thing about Tedford's QB's and while many have busted (Akili Smith, Harrington, Carr, Boller) he has had one STUD in Rodgers. Lastly you have Newton who is similar to VY in a lot of ways. Besides all the physical attributes he is about to lead his team to the NC like VY did and this could rocket his draft stock. Overall if I had to choose I would say Locker. Mallet is risky because of the system and Newton is an unfinished product (raw). Locker has the work ethic and it can only go up from here. He has the tools but they have yet to be used.

brat316
12-14-2010, 06:28 AM
To bad there aren't any offensive linemen they can take.

shylo3716
12-14-2010, 07:09 AM
I hope Luck stays now just so Green could be the first pick overall.

no bare feet
12-14-2010, 07:15 AM
If Luck does not declare, there is not another QB I would take in the top 20 of this draft. Locker/Newton both 2nd rounders. The upside of those guys is hard to shy away from, but neither are QB's that you must follow the Golden Rule of the Draft for. Neither should see the field for two years at least.

Mallett has a lot of tools the offer right away, but he has many flaws as well.

I really would not want to be a team picking top 10 this year in need of a QB, I like the potential depth of guys in the 2nd with Locker/Newton/Ponder/Stanzi/Devlin. Put those guys in situations where you have a starter for one or two years and start building around them.

The more I think about it, the more I think Buffalo should go that route. Draft some pieces around FItzpatrick and draft one of those previous mentioned QBs in the 3rd. Whom ever is available.

Ponder might be the best guess?

no bare feet
12-14-2010, 07:20 AM
I really hate this QB classes immediate impact without Luck, but 2-3 years you could have 4 starters.

Firstpick
12-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Id say Newton would be the first QB selected. Buffalo at #5 would be a team that could be very interested.

RealityCheck
12-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Mallett and it's not even close.

keylime_5
12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
If Luck stays then Newton will be the first QB taken. Mallett isn't gonna win people over with his personality and isn't as accurate as teams would like to spend a top 10 pick on him IMO. Newton I think goes top 5 or top 10, but he won't be the #1 pick to Carolina IMO even if Luck stays in school. I think the Panthers go for Bowers or Green if Luck isn't there barring an amazing workout by Newton and the team falling in love with him.

FUNBUNCHER
12-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Why does the OP think Luck will come back next year??
Even at Stanford, if you're projected as a top 2 pick in the NFL draft, IMO the decision has already been made for you.

Babylon
12-14-2010, 10:48 AM
The team that makes the most sense to me for Newton is Seattle. Keep Hasselbeck another year or 2..he's a good role model for a guy like Newton. And most important he's in a very manageable conference and division where the defenses are...less than imposing. And needless to say he won't have a very high-strung, high IQ head coach in Pete Carroll. Probably would enable him a bit but the AFC is a shark pit for young QBs.

Hasselbeck is a free agent and my guess is he'd like to play another couple of years but it wont be here (Seattle). I think the situation is set up pretty well to start a rookie QB next year at least by week six. Pete has always thought a lot of Jake Locker both on the field and as an individual and Sarkisian would back that up in my opinion. Where the Hawks will be drafting Locker seems like the logical choice and fans would be not too happy if it wasnt.

My guess is Newton will do well at the combine but not really stand out in any one area unless 40 yard dash is what teams are looking for. He'll go early but not top 5. Personally i'd just as soon see him be the first QB taken but that is so others will be there later.

scpanther22
12-14-2010, 11:01 AM
If the Panthers are picking #1 and Luck does not come out..Then I think there is a chance they go Newton..from a scheme standpoint he would be a perfect fit even with a new coach I still think they run the ball that's what there built for. Playing behind that big Oline with J.Stewart and Mike goodson

baronzeus
12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
Even at Stanford, if you're projected as a top 2 pick in the NFL draft, IMO the decision has already been made for you.

I don't believe you, unless this year is different than last year, which is possible.

Halsey
12-14-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd probably still take Locker over anyone other than Luck. I'd study the hell out of every QB if I was Carolina, but right now I feel the best about Locker. Honestly, I just think he's a little more prepared to handle the psychological challenges of being a first round QB in the NFL. The key for any of these QBs is that they go to a team that's a good fit for them.

RealityCheck
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
He wants to get a degree and money's not an issue since his family is wealthy.

shylo3716
12-14-2010, 04:32 PM
How many mocks will there be without Luck now?

thebow305
12-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd say easily Cam Newton. I think that even if they both declare, Cam will challenge him for the top spot.

baronzeus
12-14-2010, 10:33 PM
I'd say easily Cam Newton. I think that even if they both declare, Cam will challenge him for the top spot.

lol? i may be a stanford homer, but seriously, this post doesn't make any sense to me

FUNBUNCHER
12-14-2010, 11:44 PM
He wants to get a degree and money's not an issue since his family is wealthy.

When you're talking about the possibility of earning tens of millions of dollars guaranteed, money is ALWAYS an issue.

Has he even hinted he might come back to college this season, because at the Heisman ceremony, Luck talked like it was his last season playing for Harbaugh.

12-15-2010, 01:49 AM
lol? i may be a stanford homer, but seriously, this post doesn't make any sense to me

You wonder if some of these people posting about Newton can chew their own food.

Verloren
12-15-2010, 04:37 AM
Has he even hinted he might come back to college this season, because at the Heisman ceremony, Luck talked like it was his last season playing for Harbaugh.

That could also be due to the possibility of Harbaugh going to the NFL and Luck staying in Stanford.

Or Luck is leaving and Harbaugh is staying.

Or both are leaving Stanford soon.

ChiFan24
12-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Mallett and it's not even close.

I'm not convinced anyone on this board knows what this means.

bucfan12
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
If Luck decides to return to school and doesn't declare, which I think he won't declare and stay another year and get his degree, then a QB won't be taken #1 overall.

I think either Cam Newton or Ryan Mallet will be the first QB taken. (Again, that is if Cam Newton Declares.) This QB class could be fairly weak if Luck and Newton stay in school, which I think will happen.

DBNYDP
12-20-2010, 02:17 AM
Honestly all the QBs except Luck are question marks.
The only team that might really reach for a guy is Cinci, in which case I think they will go with Mallet.
This is going to sound crazy but the way I see there are going to be two successful QBs when we look back at this draft if Luck declares. Luck and Stanzi.
I have bad feelings about Newton, Mallet is like a Cutler clone, and Locker just doesn't excite me at all.
I have a feeling that guys like Kolb and Orton might be traded around this summer.
Newton would be ridiculously stupid to stay in school. Honestly granted he isn't injured and he doesn't fail majorly in the BCS game...is there anyway you could go out better? Heisman winner, and carried team to the BCS.
Someone will take him early even if that isn't wise.

TACKLE
12-20-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm not convinced anyone on this board knows what this means.

It's best just to ignore RealityCheck's posts all together. You'll be better off for it.

NotRickJames
12-20-2010, 02:41 AM
Not that anyone is going to take this seriously, but a buddy of mine knows Luck personally and is willing to bet the farm he stays. Serious about his degree.

I hope he stays. Would love to see what the Panthers do if he doesn't come out.

12-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Not that anyone is going to take this seriously, but a buddy of mine knows Luck personally and is willing to bet the farm he stays. Serious about his degree.

I hope he stays. Would love to see what the Panthers do if he doesn't come out.

I had a few email exchanges with him back in October he told me the same thing..."I have no plans to go pro". Doesn't mean squat but it means in October he had no plans of leaving.

RealityCheck
12-20-2010, 07:58 AM
I had a few email exchanges with him back in October he told me the same thing..."I have no plans to go pro". Doesn't mean squat but it means in October he had no plans of leaving.
Yeah, and I talked to the Packers and they said they have injuries.

FUNBUNCHER
12-20-2010, 08:17 AM
If Luck is a semester or two from getting his degree, and he's all but guaranteed of being the first selection overall before a collective bargaining agreement between the owners and NFLPA is reached, (read; SALARY CAP FOR ROOKIES), financially, it's in Luck's best interest to make that move to the pros in April.

And honestly, why would Luck scoop himself in October in the middle of the season to some stranger in an email that he plans to leave school early???
That's simply not credible.

FUNBUNCHER
12-20-2010, 08:38 AM
It's in Luck's best interest to declare now, no one's talking about what's in the best interest on an NFL choosing #1 in April.

If there's no collective bargaining agreement reached before the 2011 draft, I expect rookie contracts to resemble what they've always been, huge guaranteed bonuses negotiated for the top picks in the draft.

Ballbright
12-20-2010, 09:11 AM
It's in Luck's best interest to declare now, no one's talking about what's in the best interest on an NFL choosing #1 in April.

If there's no collective bargaining agreement reached before the 2011 draft, I expect rookie contracts to resemble what they've always been, huge guaranteed bonuses negotiated for the top picks in the draft.

If there's no CBA in place, teams simply won't sign the picks, and they'll be in a state of limbo; drafted not signed....or in other words, unpaid.

What a lot of people don't realize is that last draft was the draft to leave early if you were seeking the big contract. Even if you leave early this year, you're going to be under the new wage scale whether it's agreed on by draft day or not.

As to the OP, the second best Qb in this draft (despite some legit and a lot of ridiculous criticisms) is Ryan Mallett.

baronzeus
12-20-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm going to say Jake Locker. I think he has the best likelihood of someone *other than Luck* becoming a good NFL starter.

Woodie
12-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Ok, a few points from a Panther fan. First of all, there is as much disagreement on Newton in Pantherland as there is here, so for every one of our opinions, you can find another that feels completely the opposite. With that said, based on what I know of Jerry Richardson and Marty Hurney, I really don't see them taking Newton if Luck does not declare. They tend to be conservative, high character guys and would likely shy away from someone with so much questionable baggage. In fact, despite his struggles and most fans' abandonment, I have heard that Hurney still believes Clausen can be a good starting QB in the NFL.

So if Luck doesn't come out, we'll probably go with Green, one of the CB's, or Fairley or Darieus (since DT is probably our biggest need) rather than another QB. And I can almost guarantee we don't seriously look at Bowers. We're pretty set at DE, just need some DT's that can penetrate and collapse the pocket to keep the QB from stepping up.

Woodie
12-20-2010, 10:34 PM
And for the record, a Harbaugh/Luck package deal is most Panther fan's wet dream right now.

Despite Luck saying earlier in the year that he'll probably return, I don't think he expected to be the consensus #1 pick when he said it. If he returns, there's nowhere to go but down, his stock will never be higher than it is right now. And the risk of injury could be catastrophic to his future...particularly with nothing to gain (football wise). Fwiw, I think (hope) that he realizes that he needs to strike while the iron is hot. And if Harbaugh does leave, whether it is to us or elsewhere, that would be just another major push in his decision to leave.

As for getting his degree, that is something he can work on in the offseason...it's something lots of guys do. So I don't see that as the determinimg factor for him staying. If he does stay, I think it will have more to do with him enjoying the college life and being BMOC, much like Leinart did a few years ago.

12-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah, and I talked to the Packers and they said they have injuries.

I know that was supposed to be really cute and original but considering 25 people already have "Packers" and "injuries" in their signatures, it was pretty bland. I know this will blow your mind but all college students (yes Andrew Luck...is a college student) have their emails posted publicly on the directory of their school's website. Real ground-breaking stuff there.

BaLLiN
12-20-2010, 10:57 PM
What Cam Newton did with the team he had was outstanding, the comparisons to Russell aren't consistent bc Newton isn't a bum and he did most of what he did without a great supporting class.

Russell had guys like Bowe, Doucet, and Craig Davis(bust), and jacob hester and even His OL was pretty good too.

dannyz
12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I can't wait for my Birthday. Why because it is the Orange Bowl and after it all this talk will be gone because Luck will make his Decision. I don't like Cam Newton as a Prospect and think the Highest QB will be Mallett because teams will question Newton's Off Field Problems also that he is a Project QB, and I think Locker will most likely fall to the Second round with a Poor Bowl Game.

12-20-2010, 11:01 PM
What Cam Newton did with the team he had was outstanding, the comparisons to Russell aren't consistent bc Newton isn't a bum and he did most of what he did without a great supporting class.

Russell had guys like Bowe, Doucet, and Craig Davis(bust), and jacob hester and even His OL was pretty good too.

Are you seriously trying to make the case that Auburn isn't full of NFL talent? Seriously?

BaLLiN
12-20-2010, 11:12 PM
Are you seriously trying to make the case that Auburn isn't full of NFL talent? Seriously?

i dont see anything at WR, they have a pretty good TE

12-20-2010, 11:24 PM
i dont see anything at WR, they have a pretty good TE

Oh I see. You watch games and see the sublimal "NFL" logos that the real prospects wear...a talent the rest of us don't possess. Someone should hire you up as a scout. Does anyone develop into a pro prospect over time?

FUNBUNCHER
12-21-2010, 01:49 AM

NEwton isn't playing with lock future NFL talent at the skill positions at Auburn.
Russell's teams by far were more talented throughout their entire roster.

For giggles, who do you see as being a stud prospect on the offensive side of the ball for Auburn, not playing the Oline???

It's either Newton is overrated, or his supporting cast makes him look better than he is.

Newton and Luck are in similar situations in that their offensive skill position talent is marginal; they alone are the ones most responsible for their team's success offensively.

LonghornsLegend
12-21-2010, 02:07 AM
I know AJ Green's name is getting tossed around as an option for #1 overall but honestly he's gonna have to tear up the combine which some people are forgetting. If Robert Quinn comes in out of shape and slower because he hasn't played he's not going to get slotted in the top 10 like he's been.

Now for AJ Green to be one of the few WR's to ever go #1 overall, people are gonna want to see him come in at a solid weight, run a 4.3, and just about be the show of the combine.

Not that it means he's gonna be a good player, but we all know that stuff matters, especially when your talking about the first pick of the draft.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
NEwton isn't playing with lock future NFL talent at the skill positions at Auburn.
Russell's teams by far were more talented throughout their entire roster.

For giggles, who do you see as being a stud prospect on the offensive side of the ball for Auburn, not playing the Oline???

It's either Newton is overrated, or his supporting cast makes him look better than he is.

Newton and Luck are in similar situations in that their offensive skill position talent is marginal; they alone are the ones most responsible for their team's success offensively.

This is true in terms of NFL talent, but they both are playing on upperclassman-laden offenses with good college talent. That's not to say that you could just plug in Alex Loukas or Chas Todd and still have them in the BCS (I'm on record that Newton's carry job is one of the greatest in college history - what he's done with this Auburn squad is more impressive than Tebow's entire career) but that they aren't playing with the equivalent of Jake Locker's Washington or even really Matt Ryan's Boston College (on offense at least - that defense had Raji/Brace and some good college players like DeJuan Tribble)

IMO WR Chris Owusu will be a solid NFL player as well as Guard Andrew Phillips. Doug Baldwin and Chase Beeler are good college players who will get looks as well.

Auburn's entire offensive line has been starting for like four years, Lee Ziemba is a draftable prospect and they have the typical SEC talent you'll find on any non-alsoran like Darvin Adams and Michael Dyer

SchizophrenicBatman
12-21-2010, 10:28 AM
And FWIW I think Russell's college success had as much to do with his swing pass offense devised by Jimbo Fisher as it did his surrounding talent

Babylon
12-21-2010, 11:21 AM
This is true in terms of NFL talent, but they both are playing on upperclassman-laden offenses with good college talent. That's not to say that you could just plug in Alex Loukas or Chas Todd and still have them in the BCS (I'm on record that Newton's carry job is one of the greatest in college history - what he's done with this Auburn squad is more impressive than Tebow's entire career) but that they aren't playing with the equivalent of Jake Locker's Washington or even really Matt Ryan's Boston College (on offense at least - that defense had Raji/Brace and some good college players like DeJuan Tribble)

IMO WR Chris Owusu will be a solid NFL player as well as Guard Andrew Phillips. Doug Baldwin and Chase Beeler are good college players who will get looks as well.

Auburn's entire offensive line has been starting for like four years, Lee Ziemba is a draftable prospect and they have the typical SEC talent you'll find on any non-alsoran like Darvin Adams and Michael Dyer

In the case of Andrew Luck he has all day to throw. Three of his offensive linemen are 1st team All Pac 10 and will be future high picks, add to that they more than often leave two TEs in to block.

FUNBUNCHER
12-21-2010, 11:30 AM
One positive I can say for Locker, if he wasn't the QB of that U Dub team, it's a good bet they'd be a zero to 1 win team.

It's a minor miracle they're even in a bowl game.

The draft process is so fickle, IMO. If Locker plays out of his head against Nebraska and keeps the final score within 10 points, he potentially catapults into the top 5 again.

yourfavestoner
12-21-2010, 11:44 AM
One positive I can say for Locker, if he wasn't the QB of that U Dub team, it's a good bet they'd be a zero to 1 win team.

The draft process is so fickle, IMO. If Locker plays out of his head against Nebraska and keeps the final score within 10 points, he potentially catapults into the top 5 again.

He needs to have a good showing at the Senior Bowl, too.

I really don't understand the whole "tear down one prospect to build another up". I think all of the guys vying for second (Newton/Locker/Mallet) each have unique individual strengths and weaknesses. I could see all three of them doing really well and all three of them being massive busts.

They're all super high ceiling guys with pretty low floors. They all need a lot of work. But hey, if I'm a team like Buffalo who can afford to develop one of these guys for a few years, I'd rather trade down a few spots and take Newton/Locker/Mallett than take a low upside guy like Luck. Remember, it's easier than ever to play quarterback in the NFL.

I like Luck a lot, but I think he's becoming slightly overrated on here. His floor is ridiculously high, but how high is his ceiling? How far will he continue to progress?

Babylon
12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

I like how you made that transition from Luck having all day to throw to Jake Locker. You are right about he still has time to redeem himself. I think they will use a differant game plan than the first time around against Nebraska. Jake will probably use more quick passes and he'll run more, the time off should help them with a gameplan.

As for the Senior bowl and combine those are settings where guys have good coaching and good players around them, the physically gifted guys should shine in those cases.

FUNBUNCHER
12-21-2010, 12:22 PM
THe only reason I'm slightly down on Locker right now is because coming into this season, I anticipated an AA/Pac 10 POTY/Heisman finalist type season from him.

Maybe I set the bar too high given the circumstances, but when Locker played below expectations while battling injuries, I saw more of his negatives as a player, whereas last season, all I could focus on were Locker's superlatives and his upside.
Elway and Steve Young, Locker was going to be the next in that line of elite dual threat, big-armed West Coast QB prospects.

I still like Locker as a top prospect if for the only reason that I KNOW Shanahan is more than likely going to fall in love with him during the predraft process.

Shanahan is positioning the Skins to take a QB in the top 10, and I know he won't have a shot at Luck, Newton isn't really his type of guy, Mallett probably doesn't have the mobility he covets, and Locker is just too easy a fit.

I just wanna see U Dub and Locker punch some team in the mouth, at least for a quarter.lol

Babylon
12-21-2010, 01:06 PM
THe only reason I'm slightly down on Locker right now is because coming into this season, I anticipated an AA/Pac 10 POTY/Heisman finalist type season from him.

Maybe I set the bar too high given the circumstances, but when Locker played below expectations while battling injuries, I saw more of his negatives a player, whereas last season, all I could focus on were Locker's superlatives and his upside.
Elway and Steve Young, Locker was going to be the next in that line of elite dual threat, big-armed West Coast QB prospects.

I still like Locker as a top prospect if for the only reason that I KNOW Shanahan is more than likely going to fall in love with him during the predraft process.

Shanahan is positioning the Skins to take a QB in the top 10, and I know he won't have a shot at Luck, Newton isn't really his type of guy, Mallett probably doesn't have the mobility he covets, and Locker is just too easy a fit.

I just wanna see U Dub and Locker punch some team in the mouth, at least for a quarter.lol

Ironically i'd rather he didnt set the world ablaze here at the end of the year and be available for the Seahawks, who i think will be drafting around10-12 when it's all said and done. i'd rather follow his career here as opposed to a Minnnesota or Washington.

JFINK11
12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Jake Locker vs. Cam Newton vs. Ryan Mallet

They are all potential players. Anyone could be taken. Just depends on the "eye of the beholder." These guys probably will go just based upon scheme and taste. That being said, my vote goes to locker because he'll rebound his stock down in mobile.

Babylon
12-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Jake Locker vs. Cam Newton vs. Ryan Mallet

They are all potential players. Anyone could be taken. Just depends on the "eye of the beholder." These guys probably will go just based upon scheme and taste. That being said, my vote goes to locker because he'll rebound his stock down in mobile.

Each has had his detractors but they all bring a lot to the table. When you look at teams like Minnesota, Washington, Seattle, Carolina.....desperately trying to put someone on the field that knows what they're doing, the 3 you mentioned wont wait too long to hear their names called.

Bengals78
12-21-2010, 05:48 PM
If Andrew Luck declares and I am a desperate team looking for a QB, I hope I have a shot at Mallett. Out of all the QB's left he is the one who I see most likely being a good NFL player.

As for Newton: Darvin Adams is good, better than anyone Luck has. Fannin came on huge this year. Blake looked really good at times. And if you wanna claim the system for them, you have to say Newton is a strict product of the system too.

descendency
12-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Mallett has poor intermediate accuracy. That's a huge bust indicator.

Locker isn't going to be viewed as a winner (stupid as it may be, there are definitely NFL teams that look at that)

Newton doesn't have enough film on him to make any clear decisions.

That said, any of the 3 could blow up at the combine or senior bowl or another off-season event and completely lock the #2 spot behind Luck (and #1 assuming he doesn't declare)