PDA

View Full Version : USC's Tyron Smith and Jurrell Casey to Declare

SickwithIt1010
12-14-2010, 05:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5920054

God damn it....

I think with a good combine, Tyron could jump to the top spot for OT's. Casey will be a great pick for someone as well.

Don Vito
12-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Smith is really going to have to add some size; I really don't get the chance to watch USC but 6-5 285 is very, very small for an NFL OL. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was considered undersized but he came in at 312 in Indy.

Babylon
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Smith is really going to have to add some size; I really don't get the chance to watch USC but 6-5 285 is very, very small for an NFL OL. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was considered undersized but he came in at 312 in Indy.

Guys can put on weight as long as it's good weight. Joe Staley and Eric Winston come to mind as guys who at one time were TEs and became really good NFL players. I am a little surprised that Smith would declare but ironically he could go higher this year than next if others like Riley Reiff and Matt Kalil were to stay in school.

TACKLE
12-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Actually D'Brickashaw considered undersized before the combine when he played right around 290. A lot of those questions went away when he showed up at the combine heavier. Though its pretty clear that his weight drops down during the season and I highly doubt he's over 300lbs come this this time of year.

SickwithIt1010
12-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Tyron is built like a greek god, the guy could afford to gain some fat lol.

thebow305
12-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Wow, Tyron is an interesting one. Definitely jumps into consideration for my top OT. He's easily among the most athletic of the group.

Hines
12-14-2010, 05:31 PM
Tyron has tremendous upside. He JUST turned 20 years old. Amazing.

A Perfect Score
12-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Tyron Smith makes Tony Mandarich look pudgy.

JRTPlaya21
12-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Smith just turned 20? Hmm seems like we have another Okoye type beast on our hands.

Firstpick
12-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Eric Stienbach played LT for the Bengals a few games at 6'5" 290 lbs

JHL6719
12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Isn't Smith a RT? Can he even play LT?

descendency
12-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Isn't Smith a RT? Can he even play LT?

This is the question. Can he play LT? If not, can a 285 lb guy play RT? Can he show better balance?

I love the guy and hope he is pick #32/33 because of declaring too early. he could protect Brady's blind-side or vision side for a few more years.

Hines
12-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I'd love him in Pittsburgh. He can sit a year and bulk up more, then in 2012, take over for Starks when he moves to RT for Adams. Wishful thinking, I know.

RaiderNation
12-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Smith is going to be a top 20 pick, mark it down. There are no OT's this year that are close to him athleticly and the potential he brings to the NFL.

Im interested how Casey turns out though. Seems like peoples opinions vary on him

Scott Wright
12-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Shane and I talked about both of these guys on the latest podcast.

Check it out at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/DraftCountdown

AntoinCD
12-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Smith I really didn't think would declare. He was one of the guys I consistently left out of mock drafts because I didn't think someone who was undersized, just turned 20 and hadn't experience at LT would decide to leave early. That said he is an extremely intriguing prospect. I'd say he needs to put on about 20lbs and not lose much athleticism to be considered for the first round

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-15-2010, 09:18 AM
He also needs to work on his kick slide, I've seen him cross his feet once or twice which happens sometimes while trying to recover but thats not good either.

ToldLikeItIs
12-15-2010, 11:30 AM
reiff has him beat

Babylon
12-15-2010, 01:30 PM
reiff has him beat

Word on him coming out?

Matthew Jones
12-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Both of these guys are great. I expect Tyron to be a first-round pick, and Jurrell Casey to go somewhere in the second round. Great defensive tackle prospect but a little bit limited schematically.

D-Unit
12-16-2010, 09:45 AM
No surprise to me that both are declaring. I knew this was happening. Smith should be a top 15 pick. I think Casey is a 2nd rounder.

Saints-Tigers
12-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Is this guy a good candidate for the Bruce Campbell award at the combine?

When they get this guy running around with his shirt off, scouts are gonna bust a nut, but I prefer cat quick fat guys, I'm a bit of a chubby chaser when i wants me an o-linemen.

yourfavestoner
12-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Actually D'Brickashaw considered undersized before the combine when he played right around 290. A lot of those questions went away when he showed up at the combine heavier. Though its pretty clear that his weight drops down during the season and I highly doubt he's over 300lbs come this this time of year.

Exactly. Not to mention, it took a solid three years before he was able to offer anything in terms of run-blocking. He was one of the worst run-blocking tackles in the entire league for his first few seasons.

He's a nice player, but arguably one of the more overrated on this messageboard. Solid tackle, yes, but isn't as good as he's perceived to be because of his draft status and "upside."

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Exactly. Not to mention, it took a solid three years before he was able to offer anything in terms of run-blocking. He was one of the worst run-blocking tackles in the entire league for his first few seasons.

He's a nice player, but arguably one of the more overrated on this messageboard. Solid tackle, yes, but isn't as good as he's perceived to be because of his draft status and "upside."

That's sort of what I've seen too. I think people are getting carried away with him. Nate Solder is a similar athlete with less to go weight wise and is already a punishing run blocker. Not sure I see what advantages Smith offers over him, and Solder isn't a sure fire first round pick either.

wonderbredd24
12-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Ferguson had 3 years of starting experience at left tackle at Virginia, was a freshman All-American, graded out well almost every game, and while people can criticize his run blocking in the NFL early on, Virginia had a potent rushing attack when Ferguson was there leading the ACC in rushing yards and total offense while being an excellent run blocker.

Tyron Smith has never played left tackle, does not have the track record, and does not have the production of Ferguson in addition to being so light. Consider me extremely skeptical.

SenorGato
12-16-2010, 12:57 PM

D'Brick has gotten bigger, stronger, and better in his 5 years.

That said, it's questionable to me if Smith is that caliber of prospect. D'Brick was considered a great prospect and there was alot of "he would have went in the top 5 if he came out as a junior" talk. Smith has a great body, great athleticism, youth, upside, and the USC tag...it's a good package but the sum of his parts isn't what you'd hope it to be IMO.

Saints-Tigers
12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Brick hasn't panned out like a top overall pick, but I don't think people would have been too hard on Houston if they took him #1.

SenorGato
12-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Brick hasn't panned out like a top overall pick, but I don't think people would have been too hard on Houston if they took him #1.

Meh...just hasn't gotten the hype of an elite player...he's the only guy worth his salt on the Jets OL this year.

Babylon
12-16-2010, 02:02 PM

When they get this guy running around with his shirt off, scouts are gonna bust a nut, but I prefer cat quick fat guys, I'm a bit of a chubby chaser when i wants me an o-linemen.

I'm with you. In a perfect world you draft a bunch of guys in the 3rd or 4th round like New England, Indy and the Giants do and you free you're higher picks for skilled position players.

Tyron Smith seems like a great athlete but he has been overpowered and needs to bulk up considerably. If i had my pick of the two i'd take their LT Matt Kalil, who has yet to declare. I do like Smith much better than Charles Brown but not sure you'd agree with that.

TACKLE
12-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Except for Tyron is a way, way better football player who deserves first round consideration based off his play this season. Bruce Campbell was just terrible at playing the game of football.

killxswitch
12-16-2010, 02:13 PM
Damn. That's a tackle?

http://www.trojannyc.com/images/2007/06/24/ts1.jpg

I am skeptical but I hope his potential makes teams pounce on him so other OLmen can fall that much farther to give the Colts a shot at some decent talent.

Shahin
12-16-2010, 03:33 PM
lol at the dude behind him.

Hines
12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
Damn. That's a tackle?

http://www.trojannyc.com/images/2007/06/24/ts1.jpg

I am skeptical but I hope his potential makes teams pounce on him so other OLmen can fall that much farther to give the Colts a shot at some decent talent.

That was when he was still in HS. I wonder what he looks like now.

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 04:15 PM
That was when he was still in HS. I wonder what he looks like now.

That's the issue. Not a whole lot different.

yourfavestoner
12-16-2010, 04:24 PM
That's the issue. Not a whole lot different.

Pretty much.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WtdXDEP9fck/TQgIiIcIDEI/AAAAAAAABvc/gvbngw3VM1Q/s1600/tyron.jpg

Looks like a 3-4 OLB more than an OT.

wonderbredd24
12-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Pretty much.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WtdXDEP9fck/TQgIiIcIDEI/AAAAAAAABvc/gvbngw3VM1Q/s1600/tyron.jpg

Looks like a 3-4 OLB more than an OT.
He's gonna get destroyed. Looks like a tight end

BRAVEHEART
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
He's gonna get destroyed. Looks like a tight end

He didn't get destroyed this year, and I think the weight argument is overrated. He clearly has a frame to hold much more, and he could spare some of his athletic ability if needed (he's got a ton). It's not like the guy can't put on the weight, he's just never been forced to add more than he needed.

Scott Wright
12-16-2010, 04:53 PM
I guarantee a pre-Draft training program will have Smith up at 300 lbs. by workout time.

bored of education
12-16-2010, 05:03 PM
remember we all thought BCampbell would be around 290, then at the combine was like 318 or something

wonderbredd24
12-16-2010, 05:56 PM
I guarantee a pre-Draft training program will have Smith up at 300 lbs. by workout time.
300lbs of what? I think these pre-draft training program weight gains are overrated come draft time. He's never played a game at that weight. He might not be comfortable at that weight. He might be sluggish at that weight.

How many guys have put on weight like that pre-draft time and then just looked awful in workouts. Aaron Maybin comes to mind.

RealityCheck
12-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Love both Tyron and Casey. I have both as 2nd rounders right now, but that can and most likely will change, specially for Tyron.

wonderbredd24
12-16-2010, 06:10 PM
He didn't get destroyed this year, and I think the weight argument is overrated. He clearly has a frame to hold much more, and he could spare some of his athletic ability if needed (he's got a ton). It's not like the guy can't put on the weight, he's just never been forced to add more than he needed.
Wonderful. Most any 3-4 end can bench press this kid in his current form. They will destroy him.

ElectricEye
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
300lbs of what? .

Creatine weight, probably.

cajuncorey
12-16-2010, 07:42 PM
bruce campbell was badass in university he goes on a mean streak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnMm7AcJ7RI

marks01234
12-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Ferguson had 3 years of starting experience at left tackle at Virginia, was a freshman All-American, graded out well almost every game, and while people can criticize his run blocking in the NFL early on, Virginia had a potent rushing attack when Ferguson was there leading the ACC in rushing yards and total offense while being an excellent run blocker.

Tyron Smith has never played left tackle, does not have the track record, and does not have the production of Ferguson in addition to being so light. Consider me extremely skeptical.

All good points - except I think D'Brick was actually a four year starter.

He also was good enough to keep Brandon Albert at OG.

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Wonderful. Most any 3-4 end can bench press this kid in his current form. They will destroy him.

Most 3-4 ends can bench press 285.... but not 300-310? Consider me confused by that one. In an NFL weight program he can certainly add 15-20 pounds in a matter of months. Hopefully he's able to retain his quickness at that weight, something we'll probably figure out by late February-March. I expect he'll be up at 295-300 by the NFL Combine.

socentre44
12-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Gaining weight and retaining his athleticism should NOT be an issue for him. Tyron's main problem has been keeping the weight on over the course of a season. That shouldn't be an issue as he matures.

At the end of the day, the guy is a genetic freak who I believe will be in the league as a franchise player for a long time if he stays injury free.

wonderbredd24
12-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Most 3-4 ends can bench press 285.... but not 300-310? Consider me confused by that one. In an NFL weight program he can certainly add 15-20 pounds in a matter of months. Hopefully he's able to retain his quickness at that weight, something we'll probably figure out by late February-March. I expect he'll be up at 295-300 by the NFL Combine.
First, it was hyperbole, but there is a reason there are not many 285lb tackles running around.

Second, putting on 15-20lbs in a couple months is not difficult. However, putting on that much muscle is impossible. It'd likely be about 75% fat. Sweet.

yourfavestoner
12-20-2010, 01:34 PM
First, it was hyperbole, but there is a reason there are not many 285lb tackles running around.

Second, putting on 15-20lbs in a couple months is not difficult. However, putting on that much muscle is impossible. It'd likely be about 75% fat. Sweet.

It would be water-weight more than anything. Still, though, like everyone is saying, the issue isn't adding weight it's maintaining that weight throughout a season. D'Brickashaw played his senior year at around 295 and weighed in at 312 at the combine. I've mentioned in this thread that he's had troubles maintaining that weight throughout an NFL season and was absolutely abysmal at everything except pass blocking until last year.