PDA

View Full Version : Speed Backs

MattyFos
12-15-2010, 08:32 AM
I am a Browns fan and I would like the Browns to draft a speed back in the later rounds. This speed back (in my plan) would be a return man because I think Cribbs' return career is finished. But, ideally, this speed back would be a threat in the passing game and on draws. Can anybody give me any names of back who will run between a 4.3-4.45 who will also be on the board during the 5th round? I would like the Browns backfield to be like Arizona's.
Beanie Wells = Peyton Hillis
Tim Hightower = Montario Hardesty
Laron Stephens-Howling= Speedster late round pick

Get the speedster in the game for about 10 touches throughout the game on special teams and the occasional screen pass/draw.

Hines
12-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Derrick Locke from Kentucky and Da'Rel Scott from Maryland.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Derrick Locke, Kentucky. He's been one of the top kick returners and all purpose players in the SEC the past 4 years. Legit track speed and a top level long jumper. This year had 816 yards rushing, and 10 TDs, also had 28 receptions. For his career he has rushed for 2,547 yards and 24 TD's. Problem though is he's had little injuries here and there and largely because he's under 200 pounds. His size is questionable in the NFL but in the role you speak of I definitely think he's capable. I mean Brandon Banks is 5-7" 145 pounds and he's one of the best returners in the NFL right now.

Haha Hines you beat me to it.

MattyFos
12-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks, it seems like Locke is exactly what I'm looking for. His lack of size will turn off a lot of teams. But I like the little guy as the third option because like MoJo Drew he'll be able to hide behind the line on draw plays and burst into the second level.

You guys are good. You were on that thread like flies on poo-poo

Larod Stephens-Howling (The guy who inspired my new fascination with small back/return men) is only 5'7"

SeanTaylorRIP
12-15-2010, 09:08 AM
I know what you mean by hiding behind mammoth olineman like Ray Rice and MJD but just to clarify MJD is not small in any way. He's short, but he's a tank, Locke actually is small and built more like a slot wideout. Da'rel Scott is is definitely bigger but he too has had injury issues.

MattyFos
12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
When I was saying MoJo is small I was talking about height... He is a little guy who plays like he's the size of Brandon Jacobs.

goldenbear.cal
12-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Jeffrey Demps? With Urban Mayer gone, alot of underclassman in Florida might declare.

Morton
12-15-2010, 12:35 PM
There's this kid at Penn State who runs like a 4.2 40. He's a shutterbug but he plays kind of like Darren Sproles.

Day One Pick
12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Isiah Pead (Cincinnati), but he's only a junior and likely to return to school. Jeff Demps (Florida) is another junior, but a little more likely to leave school.

How about Noel Devine? It's hard to put a finger on his draft stock. I would have to think the mid 3rd would be the highest we see him get drafted, and the early 5th would be about the lowest.

JaxJag_1
12-15-2010, 12:53 PM
There's this kid at Penn State who runs like a 4.2 40. He's a shutterbug but he plays kind of like Darren Sproles.

Devon Smith, he's a true Sophomore. I saw him play in HS.. He's still under 160, so he'll need to add some more weight.

yourfavestoner
12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/16087-1/JeffDemps_002.jpg
http://www.iill.net/wp-content/uploads/images/chris-rainey.jpg

Caulibflower
12-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Somebody mentioned him, but Noel Devine fits the bill perfectly in Cleveland. You've got a Pro Bowler in Hillis (If he's not first-team AFC, something is wrong), another big pick-and-slider in Hardesty, and that provides the perfect setting for a small guy like Noel. The best team for Noel is going to be a team with a Big Power back, so the defenses will be tired and he can run away from them. I'd expect him to be available to the Browns at the top of the third, and I think that'd be a good place for them to select some speed for their offense.

SenorGato
12-15-2010, 11:35 PM
Devine.

10characters.

KennyG
12-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Lamichael James, Noel Devine, Kendall Hunter, Jeff Demps, D. Locke, DaRel Scott,
Brandon Saine... Probably start the first couple guys off in the 3rd round, a few might creep into the 2nd...

thebow305
12-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Jeff Demps or Derrick Locke

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Jordan Todman and Shane Vereen, two juniors from UConn and California respectively, fit the bill as speed backs in today's NFL. They haven't been mentioned yet, but they both play with great speed and offer home-run ability. Neither are KR-type guys like Stephens-Howling, but rather 2nd-3rd Round guys with potential like Jamaal Charles/Ray Rice.

If you want later on, Ohio State's Brandon Saine has a lot of speed and Kentucky's Derrick Locke offers that speed/special teams ability.

BuckeyeDan17
12-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Brandon Saine would be ideal if he didn't look like he was running with a blindfold on.

Devine or Demps.

keylime_5
12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Saine is good at running into the line and falling down at the line of scrimmage. I don't know what happened, he was awful in 2008, great in 2009, and awful again this year. He has speed and is an amazing receiving threat but he has no quickness and vision at all. He should be an UDFA.

It would be cool to have the thunder/thunder combo of Hills and Hardesty and then a guy like Noel Devine or Derrick Locke as the #3.

dabears10
12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Armando Allen seems to fit your bill. Not the speediest guy ever, but has good returning skills runs draws great and is a great pass catcher out of the backfield.