PDA

View Full Version : Derek Sherrod Interview

Scott Wright
12-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Interview with Mississippi State OT Derek Sherrod
http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Derek-Sherrod/Derek-Sherrod.php

Halsey
12-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Seems like a very clean prospect with a lot of experience against top competition. Is there anything not to like? Could he go top 15 due to positional value and relatively low risk?

TheMorningZoo
12-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Seems like a solid kid all around, and I like how he faces top competition week in and out; and while MSU has improved drastically they still aren't traditionally a Florida, LSU, Bama, etc (and he gets it done regardless).

One question that is hypothetical that I do have Scott, if this was a Tackle loaded draft like a few years ago :(Smith(s), Monroe, Oher, ) (Long, Clady, Williams, Albert, Cherilus, Otah, Baker, Brown) how do you feel he would rate as a prospect? Would be be a fringe first rounder as compared to essentially a first round lock as of right now?

I personally think all three top tackles in this draft (Carimi, Castonzo, Sherrod) will be SOLID Offensive Tackles, but maybe never spectacular. I can see them being mainstays on their respective teams, but maybe never garnering all-pro honors or multiple pro-bowls. I think they can have an impact like a lot of unsung lineman: Eric Winston, Joe Staley, David Steward (as mentioned), or even the Jon Runyans and Kyle Turleys of the past.

AntoinCD
12-17-2010, 02:46 AM
I like the honesty when he says he wants to be a top 10 pick. Too often do you hear propsects say it doesnt matter and they're just happy to get the chance. Hopefully he doesn't get his wish though and falls to the Patriots in the first. Him or Ryan Kerrigan in the middle of the first would be excellent

GaMeTiMe
12-17-2010, 03:12 AM
I've followed this site for years and years and that was the most impressive interview I've ever seen here. That, to me, was the epitome of a prospect interview. He's got the film to back it up, too. I feel like this guy can be a great left tackle in Indianapolis, but if they end up winning the South he could be way gone by the time they pick.

One question that is hypothetical that I do have Scott, if this was a Tackle loaded draft like a few years ago :(Smith(s), Monroe, Oher, ) (Long, Clady, Williams, Albert, Cherilus, Otah, Baker, Brown) how do you feel he would rate as a prospect? Would be be a fringe first rounder as compared to essentially a first round lock as of right now?

I'm interested to hear what Scott has to say about this, but I'd put him behind that entire group other than Cherilus, Otah, Baker and Brown (who only went high because of the ZBS) as a prospect and add Williams when it comes to likely NFL performance
level. His complete ceiling may be slightly better than Monroe, but even he has only shown so much early in his career.

ChiFan24
12-17-2010, 03:55 AM
Love this guy; almost assuredly my top OT no matter who else declares. I'm tired of all the athletic former TE types going top 10 in the draft because they can pass block a little bit, and then in the running game they get completely manhandled. Sherrod is tough as hell and moves people out of the way in the running game. And he pass blocks more than well enough to play the left side.

Also I like that he wants to go up against Julius Peppers, but hopefully he only does that during practice.

Caulibflower
12-17-2010, 04:15 AM
I liked what he had to say about knowing where defenders were going to be on every play, and just being in the right spot. That's so underrated for players; you always think, "Will this guy be able to blow the defender off the ball?" But that doesn't happen unless the lineman is in the right spot to have the leverage to do it. I didn't get to see him play this year, but does anyone know if he could move inside?

Prowler
12-17-2010, 05:10 AM
I really liked his interview. If the lions were to cave to national pressure and take him....well I'd still give them a C-, but I would at least be cautiously optimistic.

Matthew Jones
12-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Seemed like a good interview. I think he'll be a first-round pick at some point, even if he's not the top offensive tackle off the board.

jrdrylie
12-17-2010, 08:18 AM
He said he looks forward to going up against Julius Peppers. I hope not. He is the one prospest I want the Bears to grab more than anything. Really odubt he falls all the way to the mid or upper 20's though.

killxswitch
12-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Any reports surrounding his desire to play football? I've read a few comparisons to Tony Ugoh and obviously that is not a positive. He seems serious about football from that interview though.

ElectricEye
12-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Wow. Color me impressed. That was a great interview. Seems like he's a good guy.

DiG
12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
ive been sayin for a while now i think sherrod will end up moving up draft boards quickly and end up in the top 10-15 picks come April. Nice interview.

SeanTaylorRIP
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
I've been mocking him to the Colts every mock but he could end up going higher.

Scott Wright
12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Sherrod is definitely a very impressive kid both on and off the field.

As far as his grade goes, I think there is a chance he could get pushed up a little since this isn't an elite crop of offensive tackles. With that said, I think Sherrod would probably be a late first or early second round value most years. Just a terrific all-around blocker.

Don Vito
12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
"The school up north"...lol.

Is it just me or is Sherrod the only one who actually included a least favorite part of football? I feel you always ask "what are your favorite and least favorite parts of the game" or something along those lines, but I don't really remember anyone including a least favorite besides Sherrod (training camp).

Regardless he improved as a player a lot over the last three seasons at MSU and I think he will be pretty good tackle in the NFL.

J-Mike88
04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Love this guy; almost assuredly my top OT no matter who else declares. I'm tired of all the athletic former TE types going top 10 in the draft because they can pass block a little bit, and then in the running game they get completely manhandled. Sherrod is tough as hell and moves people out of the way in the running game. And he pass blocks more than well enough to play the left side.

Also I like that he wants to go up against Julius Peppers, but hopefully he only does that during practice.
Interesting that the Bears had their chance at him, but went with the conventionally-higher-rated OT Carimi.
It will be very interesting to see where each of these OTs is in 3-5 years.

I hope the comments by Bears fans in this thread from this winter prove to be prophetic!

Monomach
04-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Interesting that the Bears had their chance at him, but went with the conventionally-higher-rated OT Carimi.
It will be very interesting to see where each of these OTs is in 3-5 years.

I hope the comments by Bears fans in this thread from this winter prove to be prophetic!

The two guys are about equal physically. One plays like he wants to murder the other team and the other plays like he's a little kitten wrestling with his litter-mates. I'm thinking we came out with the right one.

killxswitch
04-29-2011, 08:10 AM
The two guys are about equal physically. One plays like he wants to murder the other team and the other plays like he's a little kitten wrestling with his litter-mates. I'm thinking we came out with the right one.

+1. Though I think more highly of Sherrod than that. Carimi is just better. Love his attitude.

PTPaQ
04-29-2011, 09:33 AM
It is just a difference in philosophy. Smart pick for the Bears considering they may be trying to get back to the smash mouth run the ball game plan and away from turning the ball over with Cutler. Carimi certainly represents that and Forte and the running game with certainly reap the benefits. The Pack on the other hand want to keep Rodgers upright, Sherrod may be better equipped to eventually handle pass protectio/left tackle and be a pretty darn good one. I am a huge fan of both, not so sure Carimi is built to keep up with Clay Matthews rushing off right tackle though, that could get ugly.

J-Mike88
04-29-2011, 10:15 PM
That's right. The thing that worries me about Sherrod is comparisons to Alex Barron.
Being soft, is not good, and I don't think getting a few million $ can change that.

However, Chad Clifton seems soft too, and he's been a great pass-pro LT when healthy for years.

But Sherrod needs to add some serious muscle, and he can do that.