PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Has Seen Pat Devlin Play?

gpngc
12-17-2010, 12:55 PM
QB/Delaware.

With so many teams needing a QB, 3/4 of the top four guys having huge question marks, and Christian Ponder sucking, someone surely has to step up, right?

PSU fans? BLUE HEN FANZ?

Babylon
12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
First off i'd have Ponder and Foles in the mix as borderline 1st round or 2nd round types, and from what little i know of Devlin he probably trails that group.

As for 3/4ths of the top 4 having serious concerns i would say probably less than we think. It's football not singing in the choir.

gpngc
12-17-2010, 01:12 PM
^Don't know what that last sentence means.

I absolutely hate Ponder. He's not very good. Sure he's athletic and has leadership qualities but he's not accurate and he doesn't make good decisions. That's a recipe for disaster in the NFL.

Don't have an opinion on Foles yet - never really viewed him as a potential QB for this draft.

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Pat Devlin's definitely no better than Ponder. He's accurate in his dink-and-dunk offense but doesn't appear to have an NFL caliber arm & has not shown the ability to play at a high level against top competition. Hopefully we see him at a Senior All-Star game. Just not overly impressed with him as an NFL prospect. No part of his game really stands out. A later round guy in my opinion.

He went to High School around my area and was a pretty good college prospect, but I felt like people always overrated him as a pro candidate. He was a good HS QB, he turned out to be a pretty good FCS-level QB, but I don't think he's anything more than a #2 at best at the next level.

Grizzlegom
12-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I've seen Devlin play at both Penn State and Delaware. At Penn State, he looked a lot more like a pro-style QB. He has always had great mechanics and has made good decisions. He has really good short-to-intermediate accuracy but at the time Penn State's offense was hand the ball to Royster and throw downfield to D-Will and Deon Butler. Darryl Clark had better arm strength and was older so he got the starting job.

Since coming to Delaware he's been working purely out of the shotgun but his mechanics are still awesome and Delaware adjusted its gameplan to fit his strengths. They run a short, quick passing game that takes advantage of Devlin's good decision making and quick release. He shows good zip on those passes and reads defenses really well. The downfall to this is that he RARELY throws passes over 15 yards and when he does, its hit or miss as he either has someone wide open and its a TD or he throws it away because coverage is tight. The combine is gonna be big for him so we can finally see how accurate those passes are and if he has good or great arm strength.

All in all, Devlin is one of the smarter QBs, both in dissecting defenses and making good decisions. He has great mechanics and a quick release. Only thing to 'worry' about in that area is whether or not he can re-adjust to taking snaps under center. The Senior Bowl would have been huge for him because people question the competition level but I'm not too worried about that as he performed really well when spelling Clark during the year at Penn State. As of right now, I have him as the 5th best QB but that's more a result of everyone else performing poorly than him performing other-worldly. I'd take him in the 2nd if I needed a QB.

Scott Wright
12-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Probably quite a few people, he was just on ESPN2 last weekend.

There is a good chance I'll move Devlin ahead of Ponder in my next rankings update. Similar types of players, but Devlin doesn't have the durability issues.

derza222
12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I've seen Devlin at Delaware, don't love him as an NFL prospect. Like people above me have said, a lot of the passing game at UD is short-intermediate passes. He makes good decisions with the football, has good mechanics, and can dissect a defense at the FCS level. However, he doesn't get tremendous zip and is inconsistent at best getting the ball down the field. If I'm watching a guy at a lower level school and he's not absolutely dominant and doesn't have special tools, I'm not sure I'd take him that early, and Devlin I think fits both of those. Probably profiles as a decent backup QB, but I'm not sure I see him starting in the NFL. I think he's overrated because he was at PSU and because of Flacco's success coming out of Delaware, they're two completely different prospects IMO. Now I could be flat out wrong, but that's my take.

underscore
12-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Devlin never really got a fair chance at Penn State.

He does seem like a heady (10:1 TD:INT ratio), accurate QB with an average arm that'll need to prove himself vs. the big guys.

ElectricEye
12-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Pat Devlin's definitely no better than Ponder. He's accurate in his dink-and-dunk offense but doesn't appear to have an NFL caliber arm & has not shown the ability to play at a high level against top competition. Hopefully we see him at a Senior All-Star game. Just not overly impressed with him as an NFL prospect. No part of his game really stands out. A later round guy in my opinion.

He went to High School around my area and was a pretty good college prospect, but I felt like people always overrated him as a pro candidate. He was a good HS QB, he turned out to be a pretty good FCS-level QB, but I don't think he's anything more than a #2 at best at the next level.

You're my hero Pudge. I've been saying this for awhile. His arm really isn't that good and that offense is among the spreadier of spreads. He doesn't place balls well despite his completion percentage. I don't see the advantages he offers even over a Scott Tolzien type.

BlueHens08
12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
I've got to see Pat Devlin about 9 times live this year so far. If I compare him to what I saw when Joe Flacco was at UD, below is my comparison.

Important to note the following when comparing Devlin to Flacco.

Joe Flacco 2007 Stats

331 of 521 - 63.5% Completion
4263 yds 23 TDs to 5 INTs
QB Rating: 144.9
Defensive PPG: 27.1

Pat Devlin 2010 Stats

225-330 - 68.2% Completion
2675 yds 20 TDs to 2 INTs
QB Rating: 155.1
Defensive PPG: 11.6

While Flacco put up the gaudier stats, Devlin has actually been more efficient. Flacco in 2007 was playing in shoot outs where he was asked to throw the ball 50+ times. In 2010, Delaware features one of the best defensives in FCS (They were the last team in ALL of college football to surrender a TD this year). The defense is giving Devlin a much shorter field this year to work with and thus eliminating the need to go 80 yds every drive to score. Flacco only benefitted from a much more polished receiver corp then Devlin.

Devlin's arm strength is not what Flacco has and nor is his durability. Devlin will need to put about 10lbs of muscle on to get ready for the NFL. Devlin however must learn how to throw the ball away better and improve his pocket presence. Flacco and Devlin both played out of the same system with is 95% in shotgun. Devlin might be best suited for a West Coast Offense but I believe if he gets his chance at the Senior Bowl, he will be drafted in the late 2nd to early 3rd rounds.

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Devlin might be best suited for a West Coast Offense but I believe if he gets his chance at the Senior Bowl, he will be drafted in the late 2nd to early 3rd rounds.

I just wanted to highlight this part of your post. I want to see him play at the Senior Bowl because it means we'll get to learn more about the guy, we'll see what he's able to learn in a week of NFL coaching, and we'll see if he's on the level of his competition there. However, I don't necessarily think showcasing his talents would help his stock. Very few QBs actually elevate their stock in Mobile. The past few years I think the QBs on hand have only hurt themselves.

That said, I think he'll likely go into the draft process as a 4th Round prospect and come out a 5th-6th Rounder. That's a pretty gentle fall compared to most, but this isn't an FCS guy that has an overwhelming amount of talent and physical ability. He has average size, an average build, good accuracy, little experience against top competition, an average arm, average athletic ability, and he comes out of a QB-friendly shotgun system which has him dinking-and-dunking for four quarters. I just would have huge reservations taking a guy as high as the 2nd-3rd round when the guy didn't have the confidence/ability to make big plays with his arm at the FCS level.

I just don't think he's right there with guys like Stanzi and Ponder, two guys that grade out in the 3rd-4th Round range for me.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Christian Ponder sucks

I don't know if Devlin is any good. I started watching his game last week but fell asleep midway through the first quarter after he had thrown the ball behind his receivers a bunch of times on 5 yard routes. After I woke up I checked the box score and his numbers looked good so maybe he isn't as bad as that sample

underscore
12-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Devlin is listed at 6'4, 220, so he's certainly not average size.

bored of education
12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
I am a huge supporter of Pat Devlin. After watching him a boatload this year I would say he is a fringe 1st rounder. I have him rated int he 30-45 range. His arm, accuracy and ability to anticipate and throw to spots rather than just to open receivers is excellent. He does work in a spread but he just doenst throw to a wide open guy because its there, he makes reads and progressions on those reads and throws his receivers ope, often.

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Devlin is listed at 6'4, 220, so he's certainly not average size.

Sure he is, he's about 6'3 215-225. He's very average in the size department, certainly wouldn't think to call him above average. But so was Tom Brady (if you want to think positively.) The guy is nothing impressive physically.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I will say that I did notice he went through his progressions and reads very quickly for a college quarterback

PhinsRock
12-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I saw Devlin play against New Hampshire. Here's what I gathered...(Has a couple of Dolphin references)

People compare him to Joe Flacco when he came out of Delaware...not seeing it. Flacco has the body of a DE; Devlin is tall at (listed at 6'4), but has significantly less bulk than Flacco. His arm strength is good, but again, not what Flacco has. Stat wise he threw for almost 2K yards less than Flacco and played in a much more conservative, dink and dunk offense. Here's what I got from the game though...

- Most of Devlin's passes are to the right side. All of his bunch sets are to his right, his first read is almost always to the right and the throw usually goes that way. Something he needs to improve upon; way too easy to defend that at the next level.

- Devlin is in shotgun throughout the entire game. Not 100% positive if that was just the gameplan or if it's the offense, but I would assume it's the offense. Being under center, reading defense and setting your feet and all that will obviously be something that will take time to develop.

- His passes to the sideline are real nice; they get there in a hurry and they are an target. When he throws over the middle of the field though, his passes tend to be behind the intended WR, and while it's a catchable ball it's not where it should be to allow the WR to continue running. Ball location is an issue.

- Takes too many sacks. If something is not there he needs to learn to either check it down or throw the ball away.

- Pocket presence is not very good. Once he is under a little bit of pressure he completely takes his eyes away from the field and tries to dance around the pocket to buy time; needs to learn to anticipate and slide through the pocket to buy himself the extra second the way that NFL QB's do.

- Has above average athleticism for a QB. Not a great scrambler, but does have some giddy-up and can run away from DE's on the roll-out.

- Goes through his reads decently well. Usually goes to the primary (which is the case with almost all college QB's), but does show the ability to read coverage and go somewhere else with the ball. When he does go to his 2nd or 3rd read he does a nice job of throwing it as soon as he sees it.

- Good anticipation on comeback routes and hitches. Ball is there quick and is pretty accurate.

- Has pretty good touch when needed. Rifles most passes in there, but did have a couple of nice throws where he displayed good touch.

- Nice quick release with pretty natural throwing motion.

Devlin is a game manager, not a gun slinger. Doesn't take a ton of shots down the field but doesn't turn the ball over either, (only 2 INT's all year). Looking at the stats he also improved tremendously from his Jr. to Sr. year, which is a great sign and something that Henne did not do (Chad's stats are basically identical from his Freshman to Sr. year).

I wouldn't mind bringing him in as a 3rd or 4th round pick to compete and if Henne pans out, may be a good back-up for the future. I don't know if he can be anything more than just an average starter in the NFL. Has some potential, but like Henne doesn't seem to have that IT factor.

Scott Wright
12-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Sure he is, he's about 6'3 215-225. He's very average in the size department, certainly wouldn't think to call him above average. But so was Tom Brady (if you want to think positively.) The guy is nothing impressive physically.

Devlin is a verified 6-3 1/4.

12-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Love Devlin. This guy could be a real steal. I agree with those that pointed out that he'd operating solely out of a shotgun and that will take some time to develop him under center but he isn't runing a gimmicky spread offense where he runs 20 times a game...its similar to how Washington uses the shotgun where Locker still goes through progressions and reads defenses...Devlin reads defenses and goes through progressions in Delaware's offense. His stats are very nice and efficient but the offense is very simplistic. You can't put that against him though..he's shown he can make all the throws even though he doesn't possess a huge arm but id argue Mark Sanchez doesn't either and no one put that against him. As far as the Flacco comparisons...very off-base. Pat doesn't have Flaccos arm but you could argue Devlin would make a more efficient and much more mobile NFL QB than Flacco too. Flacco does have many blonde moments with the football, and is an absolute statue in the pocket that takes a lot of sacks. Basically....Drew Bledsoe. Devlin would make a great pet project for someone. I wouldn't be surprised to see a smart, high IQ team like New England, Pittsburgh or Kansas City take him.

phlysac
12-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Watch and judge for yourself today

12:00 Noon EST ESPNU Delaware vs Georgia Southern

12-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Another efficient mistake-free performance by Devlin today.

RaiderNation
01-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Turn on ESPN 2 to see this guy