PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame

goldenbear.cal
12-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Can anyone enlighten me about this guy? How good/great of a TE prospect is he? His strengths and weakness, as well as an NFL TE comparison ?

jared3
12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Being from Indiana, I have seen Kyle Rudolph play several times.

Rudolph has the size of Jason Witten. I think he will be another Todd Heap in the NFL. Due to his hamstring injury, that will likely bump him down into the 2nd round.

YaY attribute: Size and he can catch the ball. He is an above avg. blocker
Nay attribute: Doesn't have blazing speed. But then again he is a huge guy.

Scott Wright
12-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I think Rudolph is very similar to Rob Gronkowski.

Excellent blend of receiving and blocking skills.

For what it's worth, the word is there's a strong chance he'll stay in school due to the injury.

goldenbear.cal
12-17-2010, 03:29 PM
Is he better than last year's top TE prospect Jermaine Gresham?

wicket
12-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Being from Indiana, I have seen Kyle Rudolph play several times.

Rudolph has the size of Jason Witten. I think he will be another Todd Heap in the NFL. Due to his hamstring injury, that will likely bump him down into the 2nd round.

YaY attribute: Size and he can catch the ball. He is an above avg. blocker
Nay attribute: Doesn't have blazing speed. But then again he is a huge guy.

I have issues with the blazing speed part. He has incredible speed for his size. He at least will be able to outrun Roman Harper ;)

ThePudge
12-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Not to me. Gresham was in a league of his own as a receiving TE prospect, the best of his kind since Kellen Winslow in 2004. I don't think Rudolph is quite the athlete Jermaine was at that size. Don't get me wrong, I think Rudolph is a great TE prospect, very athletic, with good speed; but I don't think he was only Gresham's level coming out of Oklahoma. He had that basketball player style/athleticism with great hand-eye coordination and ability after the catch. If he'd played his Senior season I think he would have wound up in the Top 10-15.

That said, I like Rudolph a lot and I think he's a solid 1st Rounder if he chooses to declare. Somewhere between Greg Olsen and Rob Gronkowski as a prospect/player sounds about right.

Lance Kendricks from Wisconsin is a very underrated TE to keep an eye on. I think he'll land in the first round & a half or so.

A Perfect Score
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Gresham was definitely a better prospect then Rudolph, but then again I was very high on Gresham. I was also very high on Gronkowski, and Id rate Rudolph a little lower then him. A high second round value sounds about right, but as Scott said I thought it was all but guaranteed he was staying in school.

Babylon
12-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Gresham was definitely a better prospect then Rudolph, but then again I was very high on Gresham. I was also very high on Gronkowski, and Id rate Rudolph a little lower then him. A high second round value sounds about right, but as Scott said I thought it was all but guaranteed he was staying in school.

I love Gonkowski but not sure he's a better prospect than Rudolph, both can block and catch but i actually think Rudolph is a better athlete. As for health issues all 3 of those mentioned here are sort of in the same boat as far as injuries leading up to the draft.

JaxJag_1
12-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Gresham was absolutely, without a doubt, a better prospect than Rudolph.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Is he comparable to Witten in terms of talent coming out or measurables?

Scott Wright
12-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Gresham was a far superior receiving threat, almost like a wideout in a tight end's body.

Rudolph is a better blocker and all-around player though.

If not for the injury I thought Rudolph was a legit Top 20-25 overall talent.

SenorGato
12-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Not as big and physical as John Carlson, the last awesome ND TE prospect. Better receiver before the injury, and catching the ball is what made him such a highly touted TE.

This might be overdoing it but pre-injury he had some KW2 in his game. He's an excellent route runner.

ElectricEye
12-18-2010, 12:37 AM
Very, very fluid for a tight end. That's one thing I've always been impressed with. He's got great hands and he's also a great route runner. Notre Dame was comfortable lining him up at receiver fairly often. Agree that he's not as physical, but he doesn't really have to be. He blocks well too. He's going to be a very productive guy at the next level. Reminds me a lot of Greg Olsen build wise and how he plays. Don't think he's that level of athlete, but if we're name dropping that's who I'll throw out.

Babylon
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Not as big and physical as John Carlson, the last awesome ND TE prospect. Better receiver before the injury, and catching the ball is what made him such a highly touted TE.

This might be overdoing it but pre-injury he had some KW2 in his game. He's an excellent route runner.

Hate to disagree but he looks bigger and more physical than Carlson.

Axl Rose
12-18-2010, 03:03 PM
Rudolph played this entire season with a hamstring issue until he needed surgery and put up good numbers. If he comes back to school I think he has a huge year.

etk
12-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Same size and receiving ability as Jerramy Stevens only with more fluidity and a better blocker. Rudolph works the seams really well and has great body control to go up and get passes in the endzone. He's a prototypical NFL TE and can be very valuable long-term.

SenorGato
12-19-2010, 01:26 AM
Hate to disagree but he looks bigger and more physical than Carlson.

Good call for some reason Carlson just struck me as a bigger player. Turns out he was 251 when he was drafted...Either way they're both prototypes for the position...especially since they're strong pass catchers.

descendency
12-19-2010, 02:13 AM
Let's not forget that most people had Gresham pegged as a top 15 talent and Gronkowski as a first round talent that would fall due to injury.

I think if you have him outside of the first round, then you are ranking him lower than those two guys.

wicket
12-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Let's not forget that most people had Gresham pegged as a top 15 talent and Gronkowski as a first round talent that would fall due to injury.

I think if you have him outside of the first round, then you are ranking him lower than those two guys.

not true, barely anyone still had gronk on a first round grade come draft day and rudolph is closer to a first roudnr than gronk was. Id say most people rate Rudolph between Gresham and Gronkowski

Sniper
12-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Rudolph was a piss-poor blocker before this year, but it looks like he really improved on that.

Babylon
12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
not true, barely anyone still had gronk on a first round grade come draft day and rudolph is closer to a first roudnr than gronk was. Id say most people rate Rudolph between Gresham and Gronkowski

I think all 3 of these guys (Gresham, Rudolph, Gronkowski) were 1st round talents but because of injury Gronk slipped and to some extent Gresham probably did too. Rudolph's injury may knock him to the second but he's a steal there granted he's healthy.

JHL6719
12-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Rudolph was a piss-poor blocker before this year, but it looks like he really improved on that.

Rudolph was a terrific blocker last year.

Sniper
12-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Rudolph was a terrific blocker last year.

His sophomore year? We have vastly different opinions of "terrific", then.

wicket
12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
His sophomore year? We have vastly different opinions of "terrific", then.

honestly, you are both wrong. He was more then acceptable last year, reasonably good without being good, certainly not great, but saying he was piss-poor last year was just wrong. His blocking was piss-poor in his frosh year.

Id say (rankings amongst and for TEs):
true frosh: Decent D1 starter in receiving, poor in blocking
soph: top10 in CFB in receiving, acceptable in blocking
junior: top5 CFB in receiving, good blocker, quite a good balanced TE this year

Babylon
12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
:neutral: honestly, you are both wrong. He was more then acceptable last year, reasonably good without being good, certainly not great, but saying he was piss-poor last year was just wrong. His blocking was piss-poor in his frosh year.

Id say (rankings amongst and for TEs):
true frosh: Decent D1 starter in receiving, poor in blocking
soph: top10 in CFB in receiving, acceptable in blocking
junior: top5 CFB in receiving, good blocker, quite a good balanced TE this year

Any word on him leaving, being ready for the combine etc.?

wicket
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
:neutral:

Any word on him leaving, being ready for the combine etc.?

rumors both ways so I dont know what to think, doubt hell be ready for the combine though

Babylon
12-22-2010, 05:52 PM
rumors both ways so I dont know what to think, doubt hell be ready for the combine though

I always thought he would leave and the injury might make it more likely if he can get a favorable grade. Someone is going to get a steal late first or early second.

DBNYDP
12-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I think the Broncos take him in the early second. They lack a good receiving tight end, and most coaches really like those (considering it looks like they hired an offensive minded coach again...).
Not saying it is smart in light of their other needs, but I figure for young QB a guy like Rudolph will be useful.

Babylon
12-23-2010, 11:21 AM
that would pretty much be one of the worst picks in franchise history. and that's saying a lot, considering.

Potential pro bowler in the early part of the second round, not sure why you wouldnt like the pick.

Babylon
12-23-2010, 11:36 AM
you say 'potential pro bowler' like it means something. they're all potential pro bowlers.

additionally, the absolute last thing the worst defensive team in the league needs is a 2nd round TE. it would do, in all honesty, absolutely nothing to improve this team.

I think i'd rather go with the philosophy that says if you're as bad as Denver is you take the best available player. In their case that probably wouldnt mean QB or WR, but a big talented TE, who can also block, would certainly help your QB.

Big_Pete
02-18-2011, 06:31 AM
Rudolph really seems under the radar right now.

How is he going with his recovery from his injury?

SolidGold
02-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I heard that his injury will prevent him from working out at the combine but he should be good to go for the ND pro day

GoRavens
02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
pro bowl talent for years to come

Malaka
02-18-2011, 09:03 AM
If he is there in the 2nd round still the Giants better jump on him, I like Boss but he's mediocre plus I believe his contracts up, I say we get a guy who can actually be used to stretch the defense and act as a safety blanket for Eli.

bitonti
02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
im less than thrilled with Rudolph. If he had stayed at ND he would have lost snaps to the other TE coming up through the system. No combine workouts... Until he proves it by running or something else, I don't know why he's better than Luke Stocker.

SenorGato
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
im less than thrilled with Rudolph. If he had stayed at ND he would have lost snaps to the other TE coming up through the system. No combine workouts... Until he proves it by running or something else, I don't know why he's better than Luke Stocker.

Sweet...drop his stock...I hope he falls to the 3/4 range...won't happen but it'd be nice.

Babylon
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Because when healthy he is probably the best combination of size and talent since Kellen Winslow.

It'll be interesting to see where he's at after his hamstring injury. He missed about a half a season and others like Gresham and Gronkowski went pretty close to where they should have and missed a whole season.

No matter how you look at it he's a steal if he makes it to the second round unless he's damaged goods.

Sniper
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha. That was a great joke.